ohio-state.edu!
 caen!usenet.coe.montana.edu!masscomp!peora!tarpit!tous!bilver!dona
Newsgroups: alt.alien.visitors
Subject: RE-POST: Blue Book Unknowns pt 1/6
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
From: [email-masked] (Don Allen)
Date: 17 Jan 92 02:18:25 GMT
Organization: W. J. Vermillion - Winter Park, FL
Lines: 646

This is what _didn't_ make it into the "official" release of Project
Bluebook..guess the sightings data was too damning. :-)

----------Bluebook Part 1 -----------------------------------------------

                          THE BLUE BOOK UNKNOWNS
                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The unexplained UFO reports from the files of the U.S. Air Force's Project
Blue Book UFO investigations.

          Compiled by Don Berliner, for the Fund for UFO Research
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
the conclusions or views expressed in this publication are the views of the
author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Fund for UFO
Research, Inc.

          THE UNEXPLAINED UFO CASES FROM THE PROJECT BLUE BOOK FILES
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In January, 1974, I visited the U.S. Air Force Archives at Maxwell AFB,
Montgomery, Ala., to review the files of Project Blue Book as the first step
toward writing a book on the subject.

In a full week, I read all the "unexplained" cases in the original files and
made extensive notes, including the names and other identifying information on
all witnesses where given.  The cooperation of the staff of the Archives was
excellent, and no restrictions were placed on my work.

A few months later, the files were withdrawn from public view so they could be
prepared for transfer to the National Archives in Washington, D.C. This
process involved making a xerox copy of almost 30 file drawers of material,
blacking out the names and other identifiers of all witnesses, and then
microfilming the censored xerox copy.  The microfilm has been available to the
public at the National Archives since 1976. The original Project Blue Book
files remain under lock and key at the Archives.

On almost every page of the 12,000+ case files, there are big black marks
where information that could be used to cross-check Project Blue Book's
controversial work has been censored.

This includes the names of witnesses to widely-publicized cases, and even
names in newspaper clippings!

As it was perfectly legal for me to copy witness' names when I visited the Air
Force Archives, those names can be found in this report of 585 (less 13
missing) unexplained cases.  And since the Privacy Act, which motivated the
Air Force to censor the files in the first place, does not apply to reporters
or anyone else outside the Government, they can be used as the reader pleases.

Inasmuch as the book I planned to write has never progressed beyond the
manuscript stage, I see no reason to keep this information under wraps any
longer.  Perhaps it will encourage others to re-investigate cases and make the
results known.

"Unidentified" says a great deal...and it says almost nothing.

Probably the most controversial aspect of the entire Air Force investigation
of UFOs was its handling of individual cases.

The means by.which one case was determined to be "identified" and another
"unidentified" has no doubt fueled more arguments about Project Blue Book than
anything else it did.

For many years, Blue Book's most vocal opponents have insisted that the
standards by which cases were allegedly explained were grossly unscientific.
Blue Book's goal, according to those who held it low esteem, was to attach
some explanation to every case, regardless of logic or common sense.  Examples
of Blue Book saying a violently maneuvering disc was an aircraft, or of
blaming a puzzling radar tracking on a supposedly malfunctioning radar set
which it never bothered to check out, are numerous in the popular UFO
literature.

And they are even more numerous in the files of Project Blue Book. The urgency
with which Blue Book officials tagged answers onto cases without having done
the proper investigation is obvious, though not proven.  But if the Air Force
was so eager to label cases "identified", despite the lack of supporting
evidence, then those few cases which it labeled "unidentified" presumably
withstood every attempt to apply every other kind of label.  And so it may be
that those cases are truly unidentifiable in familiar terms.

Indeed, the Air Force defines "unidentifiable" cases as those which
"apparently contain all pertinent data necessary to suggest a valid hypothesis
concerning the lack of explanation of the report, but the description of the
object or its motion cannot be correlated with any known object or
phenomenon."

To meet such criteria, a report must obviously come from a reputable source,
and it must not bear any resemblance to airplanes, balloons, helicopters,
spacecraft, birds, clouds, stars, planets, meteors, comets, electrical
phenomena, or anything else known to frequent the air, the sky, or nearby
space.

Unfortunately, the Air Force failed to stick to its own rules.  Some of the
"unidentifiable" cases most certainly can be correlated with known objects or
phenomena.  But most of them cannot.  Moreover, many of the so-called
"identified" cases cannot honestly be so correlated.  But we are primarily
concerned here with those cases which Project Blue Book openly admits it
tried to explain and failed.

The amount of detail in these cases varies enormously.  Some cases -
frequently those which were well publicized at the time of the event - contain
considerable information, while others are vague and seriously incomplete.
Project Blue Book generally placed the blame for such incompleteness on the
witnesses, but it should take its own share of the responsibility.  'In
thousands of cases, there is no completed questionnaire in the Project files,
nor even any indication that one was sent to the witness.  And in most of the
instances where a questionnaire was filled out, it was never followed up to
get more complete answers to questions which the witnesses failed to deal with
properly.  For much of the life of Project Blue Book and its predecessors,
there was no satisfactory.questionnaire at all.  And one of those used for a
lengthy period was so badly organized that a witness should not be held to
blame for giving incomplete answers.

Yet, despite all the roadblocks, many reports are sufficiently complete to
tell a pretty clear story of a puzzling experience.  With this data now
available, anyone can look at Project Blue Book's "unidentified" UFO reports
and make up his own mind.       

       July 3, 1947; Harborside, Maine. 2:30 p.m.  EDT. Witness:
       astronomer John Cole of South Brooksville, Me. Watched 10-15
       seconds while ten very light objects, with two dark forms to
       their left, moved like a swarm of bees to the northwest.  A loud
       roar was heard.

       July 4, 1947; over Emmet, Idaho. 8:17 p.m.  PDT. Witnesses:
       United Air Lines Capt. E.J. Smith, First Officer Ralph Stevens,
       Stewardess Marty Morrow. Watched for 12-15 minutes while four
       objects with flat bottoms and rough tops moved at varying speeds,
       with one high and to the right of the others.

       July 6, 1947; Fairfield-Suisan Air Base, California. Daytime.
       Witnesses:  Army Air Forces Capt. and Mrs. James Burniston.
       Watched for 1 minute while one object having no wings or tail
       rolled from side-to-side three times and then flew away very fast
       to the southeast.

       July 8, 1947; Muroc Air Base, California. 9:30 a.m. PDT.
       Witnesses:  lst Lt. Joseph McHenry, T/Sgt Ruvolo, S/Sgt Nauman,
       Miss Janette Scotte. Watched for an unstated length of time
       while two disc-shaped or spherical objects--silver and apparently
       metallic--flew a wide circular pattern, and then one of them
       later flew a tighter circle.

       July 9, 1947; Meridian, Idaho. 12:17 p.m.  PDT. Witness:  Idaho
       statesman aviation editor and former (AAF) B-29 pilot Dave
       Johnson. Watched for more than 10 seconds from an Idaho Air
       National Guard AT-6 while a black disc, which stood out against
       the clouds, made a half-roll and then a stair-step climb.

       July 10, 1947; Harmon Field, Newfoundland, Canada. Between 3 and
       5 p.m.  local time.  Witnesses:  three ground crewmen, including
       Mr. Leidy, for Pan American Airways. Watched briefly while one
       translucent disc- or wheel-shaped object flew very fast, leaving
       a dark blue trail and then ascended and cut a path through the
       clouds.

       July 29, 1947; Hamilton Air Base, California. 2:50 p.m. PDT.
       Witnesses:  Assistant Base Operations Officer Capt. William
       Rhyerd, ex-AAF B-29 pilot Ward Stewart. Watched for unknown
       length of time while two round, shiny, white objects with
       estimated 15-25 foot diameters, flew 3-4 times the apparent speed
       of a P-80, also in sight. One object flew straight and level;
       the other weaved from side-to-side like an escort fighter.

       Sept. 3, 1947; Oswego, Oregon. 12:15 p.m.  PDT. Witness:
       housewife Mrs. Raymond Dupui. Watched for unknown length of time
       as 12-15 round, silver objects flew an unstated pattern.

       Oct., 1947; Dodgeville, Wisconsin. 11
       unnamed civilian man.  Watched for 1 hour while an undescribed
       object flew counterclockwise circles.

       Oct. 14, 1947; 11 mi. NNE of Cave Creek, Arizona. Noon MDT.
       Witnesses:  ex-AAF fighter pilot J.L. Clark, civilian pilot
       Anderson, third man. Watched 45-60 seconds while one 3-foot
       "flying wing"-shaped object, which looked black against the white
       clouds and red against the blue sky, flew straight at an
       estimated 380 m.p.h., at 8-10,000 feet, from NW to SE.

       April 5, 1948; Holloman AFB, New Mexico. Afternoon. Witnesses:
       Geophysics Lab balloon observers Alsen, Johnson, Chance. Two
       irregular, round, white or golden objects.  One made three loops
       then rose and disappeared rapidly; the other flew in a fast arc
       to the west during the 3O^second sighting.

       July 29, 1948:  Indianapolis, Indiana. 9:88 a.m. witness*:
       James Toney, Robert Huggins, both employees of a rug cleaning
       firm.  One shiny aluminum object, shaped something like an
       airplane's propeller, with 10-12 small cups protruding from
       either blade.  Estimated size 6-8' long, 1.5-2' wide.  The object
       glided across the road a few hundred feet in front of their
       vehicle and apparently went down in a wooded area.  Sighting
       lasted a few seconds.

       July 31, 1948; Indianapolis, Indiana. 8:25 a.m. Witnesses:  Mr.
       and Mrs. Vernon Swigert; he was an electrician.  Object was
       shaped like a cymbal, or domed disc; about 20' across and 6-8'
       thick, and was white without any shine.  It flew straight and
       level from horizon to horizon in about 10 seconds, shimmering in
       the sun as if spinning.

       July or August, 1948; vicinity of Marion, Virginia. Shortly
       after sunset.  Witness:  Max Abbott, flying a Bellanca Cruisair
       four-passenger private airplane.  A single bright white light
       accelerated and turned up a valley.

       Sept. 23, 1948; San Pablo, California.  12 noon.  Witnesses:
       Sylvester Bentham and retired U.S. Army Col. Horace Eakins. Two
       objects:  one, a buff or grey rectangle with vertical lines; the
       other a translucent "amoeba" with a dark spot near the center.
       The arms of the "amoeba" undulated. Both objects travelled very
       fast.

       Oct. 15, 1948; Fusuoka, Japan. 11:05 p.m.  Witnesses:  pilot
       Halter and radar operator Hemphill of a P-61 "Black Widow" night
       fighter.  Up to six objects tracked on radar, only one seen
       visually.  Dull or dark object shaped like a dirigible with a
       flat bottom and clipped tail end. Six seen on radar separately
       Pilot attempted to close on visual object, but it dove away fast.

       Dec. 3, 1948; Fairfield-Suisan AFB, California. 8:15 p.m.
       Witness:  USAF Sgt., control tower operator.  One round, white
       light flew for 25 seconds with varying speed, bouncing motion,
       and finally a rapid erratic climb.

       Jan. 4, 1949; Hickam Field, Hawaii. 2 p.m. Witness:  USAF pilot
       Capt. Paul Storey, on ground. one flat white, elliptical object
       with a matte top circled while oscillating to the right and left,
       and then sped away.

       Jan. 27, 1949; Cortez-Bradenton, Florida. 10:20 p.m. Witnesses:
       Capt. Sames, acting chief of the Aircraft Branch, Eglin AFB, and
       Mrs. Sames. They watched for 25 minutes while a cigar-shaped
       object as long as two Pullman cars and having seven lighted
       square windows and throwing sparks, descended and then climbed
       with a bouncing motion at an estimated 400 m.p.h.

       March 17, 1949; Camp Hood, Texas. 7:52 p.m. Witnesses:  guards
       of the 2nd Armored Division. While awaiting the start of a
       flare firing, they watched, for an hour, while eight large,
       green, red and white flare-like objects flew in generally
       straight lines.

       April 3, 1949; Dillon, Montana. 11:55 a.m.  Witnesses:
       construction company owner Gosta Miller and three other unnamed
       persons.  One object shaped like two plates attached
       face-to-face; matte bottom, bright aluminum top; 20' diameter,
       4-5' thickness.  It rocked or rotated in six cycles, descended,
       rocked, flew, rocked; all this was very fast.

       April 4, 1949; Merced, California. 10:20 p.m.  witness:  William
       Parrott, former Air Force pilot and major.  One generally round
       object with a curved bottom and dull coloring.  The object gave
       off a clicking sound until overhead.  Parrott's dog reacted. 35
       seconds.

       April 24, 1949; Arrey, New Mexico. l0:30 a.m.  Witnesses:
       General Mills meteorologist and balloon expert C.B. Moore and
       others on a balloon launch crew.  One white, round ellipsoid,
       about 2.5 times as long as wide.

       April 28, 1949; Tucson, Arizona. 5:45 p.m.  Witnesses:  Howard
       Hann, Mr. Hubert, Tex Keahey. One bright, sausage-shaped object
       was observed for 40 minutes while it rolled and flew fast.

       May 5, 1949; Ft. Bliss, Texas. 11:40 a.m.  Witnesses:  Army
       officers Maj. Day, Maj. Olhausen, Capt. Vaughn. Two oblong white
       discs, flying at an estimated 200-250 m.p.h., made a shallow turn
       during the 30-50 second observation.

       May 6, 1949; Livermore, California. 9:35 a.m.  Witness:  C. G.
       Green. Two shiny, disc-like objects rotated around each other
       and banked.  Then one shot upwards with a grey trail and rejoined
       the other.  The sighting lasted 5 minutes.

       May 9, 1949; Tucson, Arizona. 2:30 p.m.  Witness:  M/Sgt. Troy
       Putnam. Two round, flat silvery objects, estimated to be 25' in
       diameter, flew 750-1,000 m.p.h.  in a banked but steady manner.

       May 27, 1949; South-central Oregon. 2:25 p.m.  Witness:  Joseph
       Shell, ferrying SNJ trainer for North American Aviation, from Red
       Bluff, California, to Burns, Oregon.  Five to eight oval objects,
       twice as long as wide, and 1/5 as thick.  They flew in trail
       formation, with an interval equal to 3-4 times their length,
       except that the second and third were closer together.

       July 24, 1949; Mountain Home, Idaho. 12 noon. Witness:  Henry
       Clark, manager of a flying service, flying a Piper Clipper.
       Seven delta-shaped objects, 35-55' in span, 20-30' long, 2-5'
       thick; light colored except for a 12' diameter dark circle at the
       rear of each.  They flew in a tight formation of twos with one
       behind, and made a perfect, but unbanked, turn.  During the
       10 minute sighting, they displayed decreasing smooth
       oscillations.  Clark's engine ran rough during the sighting, and
       upon landing was found to have all its spark plugs burned out.

       July 30, 1949; Mt. Hood, Oregon. 9 p.m.  Witnesses:  Northwest
       Airlines Capt. Thrush, two Portland control tower operators, and
       one flying instructor.  One object with one white light and two
       red lights, maneuvered and hovered.

       Feb 5, 1950; Teaticket, Massachusetts.  5:10 p.m.  Witnesses:
       Marvin Odom, former U.S. Navy fighter pilot, USAF Lt. Philip
       Foushee, pilot from Otis AFB, and two others.  Two thin,
       illuminated cylinders, one of which dropped a fireball,
       maneuvered together and then disappeared high and fast after 5
       minutes.

       Feb. 24, 1950; Albuquerque, New Mexico. 1:55 p.m. Witnesses:
       Municipal Airport Weather Observers Luther McDonald, Harrison
       Manson. One white, slightly elongated oval was watched for 1.5
       minutes through a theodolite while it flew straight and level.

       Feb. 25, 1950; Los Alamos, New Mexico. 3:55 p.m. Witnesses:
       Twelve Atomic Energy Commission security inspectors.  One
       cylinder with tapered ends, silver and flashing, flew slow and
       hen fast, fluttered and oscillated, and changed course.
       observations by individuals varied from 3 seconds to 2 minutes.

       arch 3, 1950; Selfridge AFB, Michigan.  11:05 p.m.  Witness:
       st Lt Frank Mattson. One intense, dull yellowish light
       descended vertically, then flew straight and level very fast for
       4 minutes.

       March 20, 1950; Stuggart, Arkansas.  9:26 p.m.  Witnesses:
       Chicago & Southern Airlines Capt. Jack Adams, First Officer G. W.
       Anderson, Jr. One 100' circular disc with 9-12 portholes along
       the lower side emitting a soft purple light, and a light at the
       top which flashed 3 times in 9 seconds, flew at not less than
       1,000 m.p.h. It was seen for 25-35 seconds.

       March 27, 1980; Motobo, Okinawa. 10:30 a.m.  Witness:  USAF
       radar operator Cpl. Bolfango. Tracked on radar for 2 minutes
       while it was stationary and then moved at 500 m.p.h.. Visual
       observation not detailed, only mentioned in summary.

       March 28, 1950; Santiago, Chile. 3:15 p.m.  Witness:  M/Sgt.
       Patterson, of the office of the U.S. Air Attache. One white
       object observed for 5-10 seconds through binoculars while it flew
       high and fast, crossing 30^ of sky.

       March 29, 1950; Marrowbore Lake, Tennessee. 7 a.m. Witnesses:
       real estate salesmen Whiteside and Williams. Six-twelve dark
       objects shaped like 300-lb.  bombs, estimated 5 feet long.  Flew
       500 m.p.h.  and descended, making a noise like wind blowing
       through the trees.

       April 8, 1950; Kokomo, Indiana. 2 a.m.  Witness:  Earl Baker.
       One grey metallic disc, 50' in diameter, 15' thick; top-shaped
       with a "conning tower" at the top and three ports on the rim
       giving off a blue light.  It hovered for 2 minutes, then flew
       away.  Baker aroused from sleep by his dog.

       April 14, 1950; Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey. 2:30 p.m. Witness:
       Army M/Sgt. James. Four rectangular, amber objects, about 3' by
       4'.  changed speed and direction rapidly; the group of objects
       rose and fell during the 3-4 minute sighting.

       May 7, 1950; Nine miles sough of Ely, Nevada. 6:45 p.m.
       Witnesses:  Mr. and Mrs. George Smith and their grandson. One
       silvery white object hovered at 100' altitude, moved back and
       forth for 10 minutes and then flew up and away.  Note in case
       file:  "No investigation."

       June 27, 1950; Texarkana, Texas. 7:50 a.m.  Witnesses:  Terrell
       and Yates, employees of Red River Arsenal. One object, bright,
       shaped like two dishpans face-to-face, flew straight and level,
       fast for 4-5 seconds.

       July 13, 1950; Redstone Arsenal, Alabama. 5 p.m. Witnesses:
       two skilled Arsenal employees including Mr. Washburn. one
       object, shaped like a bowtie, and like polished aluminum.  Flew
       straight and level, then one triangle rotated 1/4 turn in the
       opposite direction and returned to its original position.  The
       object then made a right-angle turn and accelerated away after at
       least 30 seconds.

       Aug. 4, 1950; approx. 100 mi. SE of New York City (39' 35' N.,
       72' 24.5' W.). 10 a.m. EDT. Witnesses:  Master Nils Lewring,
       Chief Mate Jacob Koelwyn, Third Mate, of M/V Marcala. One 10'
       cylindrical object at 50-100' altitude, flying with a churning or
       rotary motion, accelerated at end of 15 second sighting.

       Aug. 20, 1950; Nicosia, Cyprus. 1:30 p.m.  Witnesses:  USAF MATS
       liaison officer Lt. William Ghormley, Col. W. V. Brown, Lt.
       col. L.w. Brauer. One small, round, bright object flew fast,
       straight and level for 15-20 seconds.

       Aug. 25, 1950; approx. 250 mi. SW of Bermuda (29' 40' N., 67*
       28' W.). 8 p.m. Witness:  B-29 radarman S/Sgt. William Shaffer.
       Radar observation, plus possible blue streak 3 minutes later.
       B-29 followed unidentified target, then passed it at l/4-mile
       distance, target followed for 5 minutes, then passed B-29 and
       sped away.  Total time of tracking:  20 minutes.

       Aug. 30, 1950; Sandy Point, Newfoundland, Canada. 1:30 p.m.
       Witnesses:  three local employees, including Kaeel and Alexander,
       of the Air Force Base. A dark, barrel-shaped object with a pole
       down from it into the water, flew at 3-5 m.p.h.  and 15-20'
       altitude for 5 minutes.

       Sept.  3, 1950; Spokane, Washington.  2 p.m.  Witnesses:  Maj R.J.
       Gardiner, Mrs. Gardiner and neighbor (former saw three objects,
       others saw one).  Metallic bronze discs, 20-30' long, 2-6' thick.
       Moved independently and erratically for 5 minutes.

       Sept. 20, 1950; Kit Carson, Colorado.  10:49 a.m.  Witness
       identified only as a "reliable source".  Two large, round,
       glowing objects and three smaller, internally lit objects.  Two
       hovered for 1 minute, moved, and three smaller ones came from
       behind or within the two larger objects, and all sped upward and
       away.

       Sept. 21, 1950; Provincetown, Massachusetts. 9:52 a.m. Witness:
       M.I.T. research associate and Air National Guard Maj. M.H. Ligda.
       Radar tracking of one object during M.I.T tracking of USAF flight
       of F-84 or F-86 jet fighters. Object speed was 22 miles/minute
       (l,200 m.p.h.), made turn of 11-12 gs acceleration during 1
       minute observation.

       Oct. 15, 1950; Oak Ridge, Tennessee.  3:20 p.m.  Atomic Energy
       Commission Trooper Rymer, J. Moneymaker, Capt. Zarzecki. Two
       shiny silver objects shaped like bullet or bladder.  They dove
       with a smoke trail and one vanished.  The other hovered at 5-6,
       altitude, 50' away, left and returned several times somewhat
       further away.

       Oct. 15, 1950; Pope AFB, North Carolina. Witness:  Daniel.
       Listed as "unidentified" in folder index, but no supporting data
       could be found.

       Oct 15, 1950; Pope AFB, North Carolina. Witness:  Woodward.
       Same as previous observation.

       Oct. 23, 1950; Bonlee, North Carolina. 12:42 p.m. Witness:
       ex-USAF pilot Frank Risher. One aluminum object shaped like a
       dirigible or Convair C-99 cargo plane, with 3 portholes, arrived
       from southeast, hovered 3-5 seconds and flew away to the south-
       south-east at end of 40 second sighting.

       Nov. 5, 1950, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.  11:55 a.m.  Witness:
       Fairchild Aircraft illustrator Don Patrick. One translucent
       object, light grey with dark core, shaped like a pear or bean.
       Flew for 5-10 minutes with rapid, darting movements.

       Dec. 2, 1950; Nanyika, Kenya. 10:50 a.m.  Mr. and Mrs. L. Scott.
       One pearly, iridescent object with a flattened top, spun while
       hovering and made a sound like bees buzzing.  Only data in files
       was from East African "Standard" newspaper.

       Dec. 6, 1950; Ft. Myers, Florida. 5  p.m. Witnesses:  former
       aircraft purchasing agent Harry Lamp and four boys, using
       lO-power binoculars.  One 75' object, 3-4' thick, bubble on top,
       silver with a red rim having two white and two orange jets along
       it.  The center revolved when the object hovered; then it flew
       away very fast.

       Dec. 11, 1950; l0 mi. NW of Gulcana, Alaska. 10:13 p.m.
       Witnesses:  crew of Northwest Air Lines flight 802. Two white
       flashes, followed by a dark cloud which rose and split in two.

       Jan. 8, 1951; South of Ft. Worth, Texas. 10:45 p.m. Witnesses:
       Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Boggus, plus unidentified drivers and
       passengers in other cars stopped to watch.  Two groups of red and
       green lights in triangular formations were stationary and then
       moved.

       Jan. 12, 1951, Ft. Benning, Georgia.  10 p.m.  Witness:  U.S.
       Army 2nd Lt. A.C. Hale. One light with a fan-shaped wake
       remained motionless like a star about 20 minutes and then sped
       away.

       Jan 16, 1951; Artesia, New Mexico. Time unknown. Witnesses:
       Two members of a balloon project from the General Mills .
       Aeronautical Research Laboratory, the manger of the Artesia
       Airport, and three pilots. The balloon crew was observing their
       110' balloon at an altitude of 112,000' when a dull white, round
       object was spotted.  It appeared larger than the balloon, but
       made no movement.  Later, the balloon crew and the others saw
       two objects from the airport; flying side-by-side, they circled
       the balloon and flew away to the northeast.  The second
       observation lasted about 40 seconds.  Note:  there is confusion
       over the date of this case, with some USAF records showing it as
       1952; however, 1951 appears to be correct.

       Feb. 1, 1951; Johnson Air Base, Japan. 5:10 p.m. Witnesses:
       pilot and radar operator of F-82 night fighter.  One amber light
       made three or four 360* turns to the right, reversed toward the
       F-82 and then climbed out of sight.

       Feb. 21, 1951; Durban, South Africa.  4:55 a.m.  Witnesses:
       three men in a truck, several other persons, none named.  A dark
       red, torpedo-shaped object with darker center, flew straight and
       level.

       Feb. 26, 1951; Ladd AFB, Alaska. 7:10 a.m.  Witness:  USAF Sgt.
       J.B. Sells. One dull grey, metallic object, estimated to be 120'
       long and 10-12' thick, hovered, puffed smoke and sped away after
       1-1.5 minutes.  Note:  may have been Feb. 25.

       Mar. 10, 1951; Chinnampo, Korea. 9:51 a.m.  Witnesses:  crew of
       USAF B-29 bomber, including scanners and tail gunner.  A large
       red-yellow glow burst and became blue-white.  No further
       information in files.

       Mar. 13, 1951; McClellan AFB, California. 3:20 p.m. Witnesses:
       USAF lst Lt. B.J. Hastie, Mrs. Rafferty. A cylinder with twin
       tails, 200' long and 90' wide, turned north and flew at
       incredible speed.  Two minutes.

       Mar. 15, 1951; New Delhi, India. 10:20 a.m.  Witnesses:  25
       members of a flying club, including the chief aerial engineer and
       his two assistants.  One metallic cigar-shaped object with white
       exhaust which turned black when it accelerated to an estimated
       1,000 m.p.h.  and made a large loop.  Seven minutes.

      June 1, 1951; Niagara Falls, New York. 4:20 a.m. Witnesses:
      M/Sgt H.E. Sweeney, 2 enlisted men. One glowing yellow-orange,
      saucer-shaped object with arc-shaped wings, flew straight up.
      Seen for 30-40 seconds.

      July 24, 1951; Portsmouth, New Hampshire. 7:10       Witnesses:
      Hanscom AFB Operations Officer Capt. Cobb, Cpl. Fein. One
      100-200' tubular object, 5 times long as it was wide, with fins
      at one end, and colored greyish with many black spots.  Flew
      800-1,000 m.p.h.  at 1-2,000' altitude, leaving a faint swath.  20
      seconds.

      Aug. 25, 1951; Albuquerque, New Mexico. 9:58 p.m. Witnesses:
      Sandia Base Security Guard Hugh Young and wife. A flying wing-
      shaped craft passed over their heads at an estimated 800-1,000'
      altitude with no sound.  Size estimated at 1.5 times wingspan of
      B-36 bomber,or 350'. Dark, chordwise stripes on underside, and
      6-8 pairs of soft, glowing lights on trailing edge of "wing".
      Speed estimated at 300-400 m.p.h., object seen for about 30
      seconds.

      Aug. 31,     ; Matador, Texas. 12:45 p.m.  Witnesses:  Mrs. Tom
      Tilson, one or two other women, all apparently of excellent
      reputations.  One pear-shaped object with a length of a B-29
      fuselage (100'), aluminum or silver with a port or some type of
      aperture on the side.  It moved with smaller end forward,
      drifting slowly at about 150' altitude, then headed up in a
      circular fashion and out of sight after a few seconds.

      Sept. 6, 1951; Claremont, California.  7:20 p.m.  (not really
      clear).  Witnesses:  S/Sgt W.T. Smith, M/Sgt L.L. Duel (?). Six
      orange lights in an irregular formation, flew straight and level
      into a coastal fog bank after 3-4 minutes.

      Sept. 14, 1951; Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada. 9:30 p.m.
      Witnesses:  T/Sgt W.B. Maupin, Cpl. J.W. Green. Three objects
      tracked on radar.  Two were on a collision course, then one
      evaded to the right upon the request, by radio, of one of the
      radar operators!  No aircraft were known to be in the area.  A
      third unidentified track then joined the first two.  More than 15
      minutes.

      Oct. 2, 1951; Columbus, Ohio. 6 p.m.  Witness:  Battelle
      Memorial Institute graduate physicist Howard Cross. One bright
      oval with a clipped tail flew straight and level, fading into the
      distance after 1 minute.

      Oct. 3, 1951; Kadena, Okinawa. 10:27 p.m.  Witnesses:  radar
      operators Sgt. M.W. Watson and Pvt. Gonzales and one other
      Sergeant. One large, sausage-shaped blip tracked at an estimated
      4,800 m.p.h.

      Oct. 9, 1951; Terre Haute, Indiana.  1:42 p.m.  Witness:  CAA
      Chief Aircraft Communicator Roy Messmore at Hulman Municipal
      Airport. One round silver object flew directly overhead,
      reaching the horizon in 15 seconds.  Note:  a very similar
      incident happened 3 minutes later near Paris, Illinois (15 miles
      NW) and was also listed as "unidentified" for several years, but
      was eventually reclassified.

      Oct. 11, 1951; Minneapolis, Minnesota. 6:30 a.m. Witnesses:
      General Mills balloon researchers, including aeronautical
      engineer J.J. Kaliszewski, aerologist C.B. Moore, pilot Dick
      Reilly in the air, and Doug Smith on the ground.  The flight crew
      saw the first object, a brightly glowing one with a dark
      underside and a halo around it.  The object arrived high and
      fast, then slowed and made slow climbing circles for about two
      minutes, and finally sped away to the east.  Soon they saw
      another one, confirmed by ground observers using a theodolite,
      which sped across the sky.  Total time first object was seen was
      5 minutes, second was a few seconds.

      Nov. 18, 1951; Washington, D.C. 3:20 a.m.  Witnesses:  Crew of
      Capital Airlines DC-4 Fliqht 610, Andrews AFB Senior air traffic
      controller Tom Selby. One object with several lights, followed
      the DC-4 for about 20 minutes and then turned back.

      Nov. 24, 1951; Mankato, Minnesota. 33:53 p.m.  Witnesses:  USAF
      or ANG pilots W.H. Fairbrother and D.E. Stewart in P-51 Mustangs.
      One milky white object shaped like Northrop flying wing (broad,
      slightly swept-back wing with no fuselage or tail).  Estimated 8'
      span.  Flew straight and level for 5 seconds.

      Dec. 7, 1951; Sunbury, Ohio. 4:30 p.m.  Witness:  amateur
      astronomer Carl Loar. One silvery sphere seen through telescope.
      Two specks sighted at sides, object seemed to explode and was
      replaced by a dark cloud and many specks.  30 minutes.

      Dec. 7, 1951; Oak Ridge, Tennessee.  8:15 a.m.  Witness:  Atomic
      Energy Commission guard J.H. Collins.  One 20' square object,
      white-grey but not shiny flew above ridge to clouds and back
      again twice, taking 30-40 seconds each time.

      Feb. 11, 1952; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  3 a.m.  Witnesses:
      Capt. G.P. Arns and Maj. R.J. Gedson flying a Beech AT-ll
      trainer.  One yellow-orange comet-shaped object pulsed flame for
      1-2 seconds of a 1 minute straight and level flight.

      Feb. 23, 1952; over North Korea. 11:15 p.m.  Witness:
      Captain/B-29 navigator. One bluish cylinder, three times long as
      wide, with a tail and rapid pulsations, came in high and fast,
      made several turns and levelled out under B-29 which was evading
      mild antiaircraft fire.  45 second sighting.

      March 20, 1952; Centreville, Maryland.  10:42 p.m.   Witnesses:
      WWl/WW2 veteran A.D. Hutchinson and son.  One dull orange-yellow
      saucer-shaped light flew straight and level very fast for 30
      seconds.

      March 23, 1952; Yakima, Washington.  6:56 and 7    p.m.
      Witnesses:  pilot and radar operator of F-94 jet interceptor. On
      either occasion, a red fireball increased in brightness and then
      faded over 45 second span.  Stationary both times.  Note:

--------Cont in Bluebook Part 2---------------------------------------

Don

-- 
-* Don Allen *-               // Only   | Are you ready for SETI?
Internet: [email-masked]  \X/ Amiga   | Oct 12,1992 - ET comes to NM
UUCP: .........uunet!peora!bilver!dona  | The *real* "October Surprise"
Psi-Tech and alien brain-wave research -- Whats going on at Los Alamos?