Subject: SITTING ON THE FENCE REGARDING GULFBREEZE FILE: UFO1671 To: Jim Greenen Message #: 1575 From: Ray Griffin Submitted: 04 Nov 90 19:01:00 Subject: Gulf Breeze Fence Status: Public

MSGID: 1:19/19.3 2734ac5f
Jim, when you said that there were two sides to Gulf Breeze, 
you failed to mention that there is also a place to sit on the 
fence. I think those on the fence have a better perspective 
than those who climbed down early into the fray.

The matter is simple. Only ED knows whether he photographed a 
real UFO or faked the pictures. Others lacking personal 
involvement; can only look for circumstantial evidence to 
prove or dispute the case. Whichever is true. GB has been a 
great opportunity to study methodologies relating to UFO 
encounters.

Some of the more interesting things which I have learned are:

Bruce Maccabee- " Any photograph can be hoaxed", Since he 
could find no evidence of a hoax, and he believed that UFOs 
were real, he put ED's photos in the "real category". He also 
stated that if one believed UFOs did not exist, and that any 
photo could be faked, including the "roadshot", it was easy to 
prove to yourself that it is a hoax.

I find a tremendous similarity between Maccabee's and Klass's 
positions. One believes without question and the other 
disbelieves without question. So in that situation only the 
fence sitters can look down at both of them to ask a few 
questions; or they can be impressed with the credentials of 
one or the other and give up their questions by just joining 
Phil or Bruce.

Gulf Breeze has shown that fence sitters are not people who 
come from some fourth position known as " I've never thought 
about it ", but actually are on one side of the fence or the 
other, but just haven't talked about it. When someone climbs 
up on the fence to get a better view, they are people who have 
listened. When that person begins to talk, the two sides 
listen until they can decide which side the person supports, 
and if in opposition, immediately start throwing stones.

What it all boils down to; is that Bruce and Phil are using 
the same method to support their views - If it is real, it can 
meet the challenge.   The only thing which I can think of that 
is similar to this situation is one which occurred a couple of 
years ago. Two guys were fishing in the Gulf, and it began to 
rain. One guy was afraid of lightning and wanted to leave. The 
other guy didn't. He believed that if it was your time to go, 
it didn't matter where you were, you just went. So to prove to 
the other guy, that he wasn't afraid of lightning, he stood in 
the bow of the boat, and yelled " here I am lord, strike me 
with lightning if you want ". He was promptly hit by a blue 
beam (lighning bolt)  from above and fried on the spot. This 
is a true story which was in the papers locally awhile back. 
Now if you thought that one of these guys was wrong, think 
again. Maybe they were both right. The guy in the bow just 
didn't know it was his time. The guy in the back can still 
have his belief, but now knows that you shouldn't ask for 
something you don't want. You might get it.

Perhaps Ed Walters asked for a blue beam and got it, but it 
shouldn't matter to anyone else. They must have their own 
experience. Photographs prove nothing. They just cause fishing 
trips within the mind. Until someone gets hit, it doesn't 
exist. I find a great deal in common with those guys in the 
boat. As soon as you sit on the fence in UFOs and "say hit me 
with the facts", everyone starts throwing stones, and from 
along the sideline comes a chuckling voice, " next ".  I think 
the real question in UFOs is not what they are, but " who is 
this mysterious voice. Could there be an UMPIRE in this game?

                       "NEXT"

--- via Quickpoint XRS 3.2- (286)
 * Origin: O*****[===X=R=S===+- From a place far away. ;-) (Quick 1:19/19.3)
=-=-=-=-=
       
  **********************************************
  * THE U.F.O. BBS - http://www.ufobbs.com/ufo *
  **********************************************