From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Oct 1992 17:37:54 -0500 (EST)

Star Trek the 1st Generation: The Adventures of the USS Horizon Part Two
 
Captain's Log for April 3,2094 USS Horizon:Captain Stuart Mann
 
We have finally reached the outer perimeter of Federation space. With the 
final frontier ahead we say farewell to known space.
 
  Captain Mann sat in his chair waiting for something to happen. He realized 
that the chances of something happening the minute they left Federation 
territory were nonexistant at best. Regardless, he wished something would 
happen. "Be careful what you wish for Captain,", he thought to himself,"you 
may just get it."
 
  LtCommander Kosygin was standing in sickbay admiring the work his 
engineering crew had done on the new accessway to the examination room. "Now 
that's more like it!", exclaimed Doctor Jacobs as she entered the examination 
room. Serge faced her.
 
  "I take it you're pleased with it then?", he asked with a tone of pride in 
his voice.
 
  "Pleased? I'm ecstatic! It only took you guys four days to do it. Is that 
how long it takes to knock a hole in the wall these days?", Amanda asked with 
a hint of sarcasm.
 
  "A hole in the wall!?", Serge thundered. "I'll have you know that we had to 
re-route seven power conduits and two coolant tubes to make room for that "hole 
in the wall"!" Serge's temper soared like a fighter jet. Quickly deciding that 
she did not want to explain to the captain why his chief engineer had a 
cardiac arrest while in sickbay Amanda decided to surrender before she got 
slugged.
 
  "You're right of course. I shouldn't have been rude about it.", she offered. 
Suprised at his quick victory all Serge could say was "That's right.". Before 
he could offer his own apology the ship shook violently. As the alert klaxon 
sounded LtCommander Kosygin was off. His destination: the lift to engineering.
He was concerned about what happened, but, was more concerned about how the 
ship handled it's first "turbulance".
 
  On the bridge the captain straightened up in his chair. After a visual 
survey of the bridge he concluded that the bridge crew were o.k. "Damage 
report.", the captain ordered on complete reflex.
 
  "Reports coming in now sir.", Lieutennant Conroy answered. Captain Mann 
waited for the reports. Commander Boeman made his way to the sensor station 
where he met with the science officer.
 
  "What happened Pete?", Boeman asked ignoring protocol. LtCommander Bryce 
glanced over to him.
 
  "I'm still scanning sir, but, from what I'm getting it's safe to say that 
we're not in Kansas anymore." As he turned to report all he could think about 
was his log entry reference to this being a 'hell of a trip'.
 
Captain's Log for April 4,2094 USS Horizon: Captain Stuart Mann
 
Well, we started this trip off with a bang. According to our science officer 
we have traveled through a hole in space. He is still studing the sensor 
reports and will hopefully be able to tell us where we are. Lieutennant Conroy 
continues to hail Starfleet Command with no success. So far that is our best 
hope of determining our position. How far away are we. Our chief engineer is 
busy repairing damage sustained to the ship's warp engines. Fortunately the 
damage is minimal and he should be available for the staff meeting we are 
about to start. If nothing else the ship is still spaceworthy. The question 
that remains is where do we go from here?
 
  The conference room of the USS Horizon was silent. The officers sat 
motionless not wanting to be the first to speak. After a few moments the 
captain entered. "O.k. Mister Bryce, what happened?", Captain Mann asked as he 
took his seat at the head of the conference table. Everyone's attention 
focused on Peter Bryce. Bryce, feeling the pressure, turned to the captain. 
The Horizon has traveled through a "tunnel" or "wormhole" in space.", Bryce 
paused to allow for any reaction. The other officers sat silently. "As for our 
position? I just don't know. The sensors are not capable of determining 
position if we are out of known space. As you all know it's our job to chart 
the surrounding stars so other ships could navigate. I'm afraid that there are 
no "familiar" stars within sensor range. The only thing I can tell you 
conclusively is that we are lost." Bryce lowered his head feeling that he had 
let everyone down.
 
  "We're all in this together.", the captain said as he sensed his science 
officer's feelings. Captain Mann then tapped the intercom button for the 
bridge. "Lieutennant Conroy, any response from Starfleet?", he asked then 
waited for a reply.
 
  "No sir, nothing yet.", Sandra answered. "We may be a few com-days away from 
Starfleet sir."
 
  "No doubt.", the captain said, hoping that it may boost the morale a little 
that he hadn't given up. "Well, we can't just sit here until we get a 
response. Unless I hear any objections I think we should continue with our 
mission." The captain waited for a vote in the negative. Not one of the 
officers spoke against the idea. "I'll take that as an affirmative then." 
Captain Mann tapped the intercom button for engineering. "Mister Kosygin, are 
we ready to move?", Stuart inquired of the chief engineer.
 
  "Da captain, we are 100% operational. We await only your order.",Serge said 
as his russian voice reverbated through the ship's intercom system.
 
  "Very well. LtCommander Kosygin, prepare to go to impulse speed."
 
  "Da captain.", answered Serge and the intercom went silent.
 
  "Lieutennant Coletti, full impulse.", ordered captain Mann as he entered the 
bridge.
 
  "Heading sir?", Coletti asked out of habit then immediately regretted it. 
Joe turned to the captain and was about to apologize but the captain cut him 
off.
 
  "Just go Lieutennant.", the captain answered with a grin. Lieutennant 
Coletti smiled in response the returned his attention to the control board in 
front of him.
 
  "Full impulse, aye.",said Lieutennant Coletti as he looked out the viewport.
 
Captain's Log Supplemental
 
We have decided to continue our mission. We are hopeful, no, confident that we 
will get a response from Starfleet soon. Of the crew I can say this: I have 
never served with such a brave group of people. I only hope their faith is 
rewarded and we will some day find our way home.
 
End Of Part Two