From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Oct 1992 21:02:59 -0500 (EST)

Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.misc
Path: synapse.bms.com!watson.bms.com!scheetz
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Scheetz)
Subject: Star Trek the 1st Generation Pt 5
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.4-b1  
Sender: [email-masked]
Organization: Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1992 00:14:00 GMT
 
Star Trek the First Generation: The Adventures of the USS Horizon Pt 5
 
 "Vulcans? What do you know of Vulcans?", asked the one of the figures 
standing before Captain Mann. Stuart stood dumbfounded at what he was seeing. 
 
 "They look like Vulcans.", he thought. He didn't reply. His translator was 
still wrestling with the new language. The one who had spoke moved closer. He 
grabbed for the wire connecting the translator with Stuart's ear. Stuart 
reflexivly moved and avoided his lunge. 
 
 "It's just his translator!", yelled Deene Marter as he approached the trio.
 
 "I know that they aren't a warlike race.", answered Captain Mann to the man's 
initial question. The man's own translator went into action immediately after 
Stuart's statement. Captain Mann was aued at the speed of man's translator.
 
 "You lie! Vulcan is a myth!", he replied. "You only wish to confuse us        
using fairy tales." He regained his composure quickly. 
 
 After a shorter interval Stuart's translator interperted the man's words.
"I don't lie.", was his only reply.
 
 "Good, that will make it much easier.", answered the man. Stuart's 
communicator beeped. Stuart reached for it but stopped half way as the other 
figure trained his weapon on him.
 
 "They are going to wonder where I am." said Captain Mann.
 
 "Let them.", replied the first man. He held out his hand."Give it to me.", he 
said. Stuart didn't wait for the translation. He knew what he wanted. Captain 
Mann slowly grabbed his communicator. As he went to hand it over adreniline 
took over and he quickly opened it. 
 
 "Get away.....", was all he managed to say. Stuart's entire body erruped in 
pain. He felt as if he were on fire. He slumped to the ground as the pain 
overwhelmed him.
 
 "Captain?!", screamed Lieutennant Conroy as Captain Mann's message was cut 
off. Commander Boeman vaulted out of the chair and was next to Sandra in 
seconds.
 
 "What happened?"
 
 "All he said was 'get away' then it went dead.",was her reply. Commander 
Boeman bowed his as if he was exhausted. "Tell the away team to get back 
here.", said Boeman as he regained his posture.
 
 "But the Captain?", said Sandra. She was a bit shocked by the Commander's 
order.
 
 "That's the order Lieutennant!", answered Boeman a little louder than he 
should have.
 
 "Aye sir." Sandra manipulated the controls. "Horizon to away team....return 
to the ship immediately." Sandra waited for the objection she knew would 
follow.
 
 "The Captain's not back yet.", reported Ensign Richter.
 
 "This is a direct order from Commander Boeman.", she answered. Sandra 
listened to the background chatter of the away team as they heard the news.
 
 "We're on the way.", said Richter in a somber tone as the communication line 
ceased.
 
 "What's the distance of the unknown ships?", asked Boeman as he retained his 
place in the command chair.
 
 "20,000 kilometers and closing rapidly sir.", reported the Ensign at the 
sensors.
 
 "Will the Shuttle have enough time to get back?"
 
 "If the unknowns remain at their current speed, yes."
 
 "Good.",Commander Boeman said to himself. "Ensign McKay, charge lasers and 
torpedoes." Boeman sat disgusted that he had to utter those words. 
 
 "Aye sir, charging weapons systems.", replied Anna McKay as she set the 
controls.
 
 "What about the Captain?", asked Amanda as the shuttle doors locked.
 
 "Mabye you should ask them.",said Ensign Richter as he pointed out the view 
port. Down the street ran seven men. They were obviously not the indiginous 
population. They held what seemed to be guns. Two of the men fired. The away 
team felt the impact on the outer hull. Richter scrambled to start the 
engines. Fear fueled his actions and the engines roared to life. Everyone held 
tight to their seats as the shuttle launched from the platform. They all 
alowed themselves a sigh of relief as the shuttle gained altitude.
 
 On the Horizon the bridge crew sat at their positions. The stress of the 
situation was slowly tearing at them. Commander Boeman found himself wishing 
the unknown craft would hurry up and get there just for the sake of something 
to do.
 
 "Commander, the power readings from the unknowns is increasing. They may be 
powering up their own weapons." reported Ensign Jensen. Before he could wait 
for a reply from Boeman he added,"Commander, the shuttle has just left the 
Callidan atmosphere!" 
 
 "Alert the landing bay. I want them in here now!"
 
 "Aye sir.", answered Lieutennant Conroy.
 
 The shuttle approached the Horizon's landing bay and landed. Quickly 
LtCommander Bryce was in a lift and on his way to the bridge.
 
 "The shuttle has landed sir.", reported Sandra.
 
 "Raise shields now.", ordered Boeman. "Mister Coletti, get us out of orbit." 
Coletti quickly manipulated the controls and the ship lunged out of orbit.
 
 "Lieutennant Conroy, try to hail the unknowns. Tell them we do not wish to 
invoke hostilities but we will defend ourselves."
 
 "Aye sir.", said Lieutennant Conroy as she sent the message.
 
 "Commander, they are repling in our language!", shouted Sandra in amazement 
before she even acknowledged what they had said. "Sir, they say they don't 
care." Sandra's amazed tone was replaced by one of worry.
 
 "Dammit! Who are these people?", Roger asked himself silently. "Fine, if it's 
a fight they want it's a fight they'll get. Red alert, battle stations!" 
yelled Commander Boeman as the lighting changed to a blood red glow. Fire on 
the first ship in range McKay."
 
 "Aye sir", answered Ensign McKay.
 
 "Ship's now in firing range.", reported the sensor officer. Boeman turned to 
see LtCommander Bryce at the station. Bryce glanced back and then resumed his 
duty.
 
 "Fire!"

Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.misc
Path: moe.ksu.ksu.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!darwin.sura.net!jvnc.net!synapse.bms.com!watson.bms.com!scheetz
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Scheetz)
Subject: Star Trek the First Generation Pt 6
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.4-b1  
Sender: [email-masked]
Organization: Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1992 01:21:00 GMT
Lines: 64

Star Trek the First Generation:The Adventures of the USS Horizon Part 6

 The Horizon's laser emitters erupted in a streak of light as it fired on the 
enemy ships. The lead ship shook as the laser fire raked it's forward shield.

 On the bridge Commander Boeman studied the effect of the ship's lasers on the 
unknown cruiser. He looked to Peter Bryce and inquired,"Did the lasers have 
any effect?" Bryce answered the commander without taking his eyes off the 
sensor viewer.

 "I'm reading a power drop in their forward shield array. Looks like we have a 
chance." Boeman returned his attention to the battle ensuing out the view 
port. One of the ships was moving away toward the planet covered by the other 
two. Commander Boeman decided to worry about the two that remained first.

 Anna McKay continued firing the ships lasers at the oncoming attackers. Sweat 
beaded across her forehead as she manipulated the controls. She was itching to 
fire the torpedoes but she refrained knowing that Commander Boeman had to 
order it's use. She decided it wouldn't hurt to suggest this action. 
"Commander, I suggest we use the torpedoes sir. The lasers are doing ok but 
it's two against one here." Boeman didn't answer for a moment. He seemed to be 
thinking about it. Suddenly the ship rocked as the two attackers fired 
simultaneously. It was a strange beam not unlike the Horizon's lasers however 
these weapons glowed brightly with scorching power. The ship rocked violently 
as the blasts impacted on the shields. LtCommander Bryce almost lost his 
footing as the ship shook. Regaining his senses he checked the ships systems.

 "Sir, that attack took out almost half of our shield power!"

 "Which section?",asked Boeman the tone of shock evident in his voice.

 "All of them!",answered Bryce trying as hard as he could to mask his panic. 
Boeman reacted similarly but could not waste time thinking about his own fear.

 "Ensign McKay, you have clearance to fire torpedoes." As he said it he 
depressed a button on the arm of the captain's chair marked "TORPEDO 
CLEARANCE". Ensign McKay aimed the weapons and fired. From the underside of 
the horizon four glowing projectiles launched. Boeman watched as the until now 
untested torpedoes found their marks on the enemy ships. The torpedoes 
exploded with a fury unsurpassed in sheer energy. The ship bucked as the shock 
waves shot back at them. After the impact only one of the ships remained and 
what was left wasn't going anywhere. Boeman unclenched his hand from the arm 
of the command chair and shook it.

 "Damage report.",ordered Commander Boeman. The bridge crew checked their 
stations. Lieutennant Conroy monitored the inter-ship channels for reports.

 "Our shields are down to five percent of normal. It's a miracle they held.", 
reported Bryce.

 "Sir, there is a crack in the hull between deck two and four. Several 
passages have been sealed off to compensate.", repeated Sandra from the report 
she just recieved and then started again,"Engineering reports that the main 
engine must be taken off-line so they can repair downed power conduits. 
Sickbay reports seven wounded by internal explosions due to the impacts. Three 
are in critical condition.",Sandra's eyes began to well with tears as she 
thought about them.

 "What about the third ship?", inquired Boeman of his science officer. Bryce 
checked his readings. 

 "The ship is still heading to Callid.", answered Bryce.