Subject: STORY: Double Jeopardy
From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Jul 93 10:32:43 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.startrek.creative

Here is my first attempt at TNG fiction. Any comments or suggestions
would be appreciated.

Lisle Brown      [email-masked]

----------------------------- CUT HERE ----------------------------

                          DOUBLE JEOPARDY

                          By Lisle Brown

                    1993 - All rights reserved

      "Commander."

      The disembodied voice of the computer caused Deanna Troi's
eyes to blink opened. She had a well formed face, high cheek bones,
firm jaw-line and full sensuous mouth. A tangle of curly black hair
splayed over the pillow. She possessed the deep black eyes of a
Betazoid, although she was half human.

      The room was enveloped in darkness. She closed her eyes again
-- still sleepy -- and stretched under the thermal sheet. She felt
tired, as if she had just fallen asleep. A slight headache buzzed
behind her right eye. I'll have to see Beverly about that, if it
doesn't go away, she thought.

      "Commander," the computer said again, the lights automatically
coming up to a soft dimness.

      "Yes, yes" she said a little annoyed. Turning her head she
could see a bright starfield through a viewport. "What time is it?"
She rubbed her aching eye.

      "Zero four hundred hours. The Captain would like to see you in
his Ready Room."

      "Yes." She sighed. "I'm on my way."

      She pushed the sheet aside and swung her legs over the edge of
the bed. She let out a small gasp when she felt the cool air waft
over her skin. She looked down and was surprised to see her bare
skin. She shook her head in confusion, because she always wore a
nightgown. She felt around the bed covers, but there was no
nightgown. She stood up and searched further. Still no gown. Turning
she caught the sight of her reflection in the viewport. Yes, there
was no mistake she was completely naked. She was short with a softly
rounded yet firmly athletic body. She found her breathing was
beginning to increase; she felt sure that something was wrong.

      But, where was she? She clearly remembered falling asleep in
an uncomfortable bed on that Cardassian monstrosity of the starbase,
called Deep Space Nine. Now she appeared to be in her own
comfortable quarters on the starship U.S.S. Enterprise. The room was
familiar in every respects. All of her personal belongings were
neatly arranged around the room where they should be.

      "What's going on?" she murmured. "How I'd get on the
Enterprise." She surveyed the rumpled bed cover and shook her head
again. Crossing the room, she pulled out a small wall-drawer. It was
empty. She looked at its interior, dumbfounded. She always kept at
least two pairs of one-piece undergarments in the drawer, just in
case the replicator malfunctioned. She turned and looked around the
room again. Everything looked normal. Making her way to the
replicator, she said, "Undergarments, three pair."

      Within a few moments the white garments, folded and stacked,
appeared. She pulled on a pair and placed the other two pairs in the
drawer, closing it with a bump of her hip. She was taking a little
too long to dress and she did not want to keep Captain Picard
waiting. Hurrying to the closet, she opened the door. Instead of the
two blue uniforms -- one duty and the other full-dress -- and a
small wardrobe of casual attire, which she also kept on hand in case
of a replicator malfunction, the closet was also empty. Another
mystery, she thought. She returned to the replicator and said,
"Computer, duty uniform."

      In a moment a neatly folded wine-red uniform with the three
gold rank pins of a commander materialized in the replicator.

      "Computer, this is not the correct uniform."

      "The uniform meets all the specified physical proportions,
encoded for Deanna Troi Riker, Commander, Starfleet, first officer
of the U.S.S. Enterprise."

      "What?" she stammered. "Deanna who?"

      "Commander Deanna Riker," the Computer answered.

                              ******

      Inside the turbolift Deanna stood uneasily, quite
uncomfortable in the wine-red uniform. She nervously fingered the
rank pins. Just before the doors opened she removed them.

      The doors of the aft turbolift opened and she stepped onto the
bridge. She expected to see familiar faces, but she recognized none
of them, until Wesley Crusher at the Tactical Station turned and
nodded perfunctorily in her direction  before turning back to his
console. Wesley Crusher! He was dressed in the mustard yellow
uniform of security. 

      "Wesley?" she asked.

      "Commander," he said turning towards her again. His uniform
collar bore the double pins of a lieutenant, junior grade.

      "Wesley, is that you?"

      "Sir?"

      She started to reply but caught herself. What's going on, she
wondered as she turned and hurried down the port ramp towards the
Ready Room entrance. She was sure that Captain Picard would have the
answer. As she neared the door she pressed the chimes. She expected
to hear Picard's melodious "Come" from within, but instead she heard
a brusk, "Enter." The doors slid open and across the room she saw
Captain Edward Jellico sitting at the desk absorbed in a
workstation. When she hesitated at the threshold he looked up at
her.

      "I'll be with you in a minute, Number One." He returned to his
workstation.

      Number One? Deanna overcame the impulse to look behind her,
knowing that Will Riker would not be there. She stepped inside, the
doors closing behind her. As Jellico continued his attention at the
workstation, Deanna turned and quickly scanned the room. Gone were
all of Picard's personal belongings -- the aquarium with the tiger
fish, the model of the U.S.S. Stargazer on its stand and the large
volume of Shakespeare's works in its display case on the table by
the couch. On the Stargazer's stand was a model of an ancient earth
sailing vessel with full rigging and sails. Inside the display case
was a antique sextant and spy-glass. Behind the couch hung a marine
painting of a large triple-masted sailing vessel in heavy seas. The
only things that looked familiar were the five children's drawings
behind the desk. She began to feel utterly overwhelmed with
confusion. Her mind raced trying to make sense of it all.

      "Commander Riker?"

      Jellico's voice brought Deanna back to the present. She
blinked and turned to face the Captain, who was looking at her
quizzically. She returned her full attention to the Jellico.

      "Reporting as directed, Sir."

      "Good. I have received a Code 47 message from Fleet Admiral
Elena Nechayev's aide. Captain Benjamin Cisco at Deep Space Nine has
informed Starfleet that Jean-Luc Picard and a Cardassian have passed
through the wormhole and are asking for political asylum. Neither of
them had left their ship when Cisco reported their arrival. They are
requesting assurances for their safety, but Cisco has issued orders
to take them both into custody once they exit their ship." Jellico's
pronunciation of Picard's name dripped with palpable hatred.

      "Take Captain Picard into custody? I don't understand."

      Jellico stood up, his face flushing with indignation. "And
what would you suggest we do with the Federation's worst traitor,
Number One?"

      "Traitor!" Deanna stammered.

      Jellico came around the desk, until he stood towering over
her. "I know that you held Picard in high esteem when you served
under him, but even you must acknowledge that his defection to the
Cardassians, intensified the hostilities between the Federation and
the Cardassian Union. Indeed most blame him for the resultant attack
and enormous loss of life at Minos Korva, and that most certainly
because of classified information he must have given to the
Cardassian military high command. And now there is this rumor of a
Romulan-Cardassian nonaggression pact, and Picard reportedly
assisted the Cardassian's chief negotiator.

      Deanna shook her head in dismay and confusion. What she was
hearing could not be true. Captain Picard, a traitor to Starfleet!
Impossible, but her empathic abilities indicated that Jellico was
not lying. Jellico stared at her obviously waiting for a response.
Her mind grappled with how to respond. She needed to go along until
she found out what was going on, she reasoned.

      She quickly recovered her composure, "The news caught me off
guard, Sir. I didn't expect Picard would ever return." 

      "None of us did," Jellico spat out the words. He then leaned
over and twirled the workstation around so that it faced Deanna.

      "I was decoding this message when you arrived," he said
activating the device. The face of a Vulcan officer she did not
recognize appeared on the viewer after the Federation logo.
      
      "Captain Jellico, Captain Cisco has informed us that Picard
will only turn himself over to Fleet Admiral Nechayev. The
Cardassian has identified himself as Gal Madred. Starfleet
intelligence has little information on him, only that he is
connected with their security apparatus and was part of the
negotiating team sent to the Romulans. Cisco has since convinced the
two men to enter the starbase, where he has placed them in special
detention. Starfleet is most anxious to debrief these two men,
especially concerning the Romulan-Cardassian situation. Captain
Jellico, you are to rendezvous with the U.S.S. Wellington at
Starbase 65, where Admiral Nechayev will transfer to the Enterprise.
You will then proceed to Deep Space Nine and take Picard with Gal
Madred into custody. You will arrange full security while the
Admiral is on board and until Picard is confined. Admiral Nechayev
will give you further orders when she arrives."

      The viewer changed to the Federation logo again before going
blank.

      Deanna immediately recognized the name Gal Madred. In her long
conversations with Picard after his capture and torture at Celtris
Three, he had identified Gal Madred as his inquisitor. He was a
monstrously sadistic man. Picard loathed him; so how could the two
of them be together now? She was tempted to tell this to Jellico,
but decided to hold back until she could learned more.

      "Number One, you will work out the security arrangements with
Mister Crusher. I want everything precisely accounted for. There
will be no slip-ups while the Admiral is on board. I want Picard's
capture made without a hitch. Understood?"

      "Aye, Sir" 

      "This is on a need-to-know basis only, Commander. Tell
Lieutenant Crusher about the arrival of the Admiral, but not about
Picard yet. After talking to him, brief me on your preparations."

      "Aye, Sir." Deanna turned to leave.

      "Oh, one more thing, Commander."

      "Sir."

      "Next time you report to me, see that you're properly
dressed."

      "Sir?"

      "Your rank pins are missing."

      Deanna's hand went involuntary to her collar. "Yes, Sir." 
Deanna turned and left the Ready Room, determined to sort out this
puzzle.

                              ******

      Commander William T. Riker rushed along the hallway towards
the turbolift, responding to a summons by Captain Jean-Luc Picard to
come to the main bridge. The tall bearded officer had a certain
swagger to his gait, indicative of his confidence as the
Enterprise's first officer. The turbolift the doors swished open,
revealing Lieutenant Commander Data inside. As Riker entered, Data
said, "Hello, Commander. Did the Captain sent for you, too?"

      "Yes"

      "Resume," the android said. The turbolift renewed its passage
towards deck one. Data's metallic skin shown dully in the soft light
of the turbolift and his yellow eyes regarded Riker intently.

      After a few moments of silence, Data said, "Commander, may I
ask you a personal question?"

      Riker nodded.

      "I was wondering how you feel now that you know you have a
double?"

      Riker looked at Data and smiled, "Just the same as you and
Lore?"

      "Precisely, Sir. You and I are unique in that aspect. Both of
us have twins, in a sense, but more than twins. Our doubles are
exactly the same as us. Some would say exact duplicates in a
physical sense."

      "Well, we're not exactly the same in all regards."

      "Ah, yes. Lore does have the capacity for experiencing the
full range of human emotional response, which I do not."

      "Yes, yes," Riker said. "And Thomas Riker is more...more..."
He hesitated searching for the right words. "No...not more. He's
less resolute than me on his career advancement and more willing to
make concessions that I would not."

      "I see. You mean Counselor Troi."

      Riker flushed. "No. Not exactly, Data."

      The turbolift doors opened, cutting short the conversation,
much to Riker's relief. He was still unsure of how to reconcile his
feelings for Thomas Riker, especially in regards to Deanna Troi.

      The two officers left the forward turbolift and approached
Captain Picard who was standing by the command chair and talking to
Lieutenant Worf. Picard, tall and slim for his years, easily exuded
the authority of command. The Klingon security officer towered over
him at the Tactical Station on the upper level of the main bridge.
Picard turned toward Riker and Data as they approached. The Captain
had a grim scowl on his face.

      "Commander. Mister Data. I have received a disturbing message
from the commander of Deep Space Nine."

      Riker felt his gut tighten. "Does it have something to do with
Counselor Troi and Doctor Crusher?"

      "Yes, I am afraid so, Number One. You recall that Doctor
Crusher and Counselor Troi left to attend a Bajoran Medical
Federation conference on the physio-psychological implications of
wormhole travel. After the conference ended, Beverly and Deanna
accepted the invitation of starbase CMO to visit Deep Space Nine
while waiting for us to arrive at Bajor. Starbase commander Cisco
has informed me that Counselor Troi has disappeared.

      "Disappeared?" Riker interrupted.

      "Yes. Beverly discovered her empty quarters, when she didn't
show up for breakfast. Although no ship has departed the starbase
since she and Beverly arrived, the Counselor cannot be located
anywhere on the starbase. All of her belongings -- everything,
including her clothing and communicator were found in her quarters.
Commander Cisco is not allowing any vessel to depart until Counselor
Troi is located. He is conducting a massive search of the starbase.
I have just had Worf send a message to Cisco that we are on our way
there."

      "Who is their security chief?" Riker asked.

      "Non-Starfleet. A shapeshifter, called Odo, I think. I met him
when we first went to the starbase." Picard responded.

      "Shapeshifter?" Data said. "How interesting..."

      "Dammit!" Riker interrupted. "He's not Starfleet. No wonder
nothing's happening."

      "Commander Cisco assures me that he is doing everything
possible, Number One. He indicates that Odo is a thorough
professional."

      "Professional, hah! Anything is possible at that Cardassian
bucket of bolts." Riker turned to Ensign Maddox at the Conn. "What
is our travel time to the starbase?" 

      "Six hours, thirty-four minutes at current warp, Sir."

      "Increase to warp 9." Picard said.

      "Aye, Sir."

      "I've ask Cisco to keep us informed of any new developments."

      Riker stared at Picard, his expressive, dark eyes intense with
concern. "Nothing had better happen to Deanna."

      Picard reached out and placed a comforting hand on his first
officer's shoulder, "I know, Will. I know."

                              ******

      Odo stood uneasily before Lieutenant Commander Benjamin Cisco.
It was hard to intimidate the shape-shifter, but the lack of
response to his massive starbase search was most troubling. Even
while Odo and Cisco spoke in the Commander's office off the
starbase's operations room, the search continued. Odo had come to
up-date Cisco, whose patience was wearing thin.

      "You've still found nothing." Cisco asked.

      "No, Sir."

      "A person cannot just disappear into thin air on an air-tight
starbase."

      "No, Sir." Cisco's choice of words amused Odo. Typical Terran
hyperbole, he thought, but he did not smile.

      "Well, we've got less then eight hours, before Picard arrives,
and he'll hit this place like a photon torpedo. We'd better have
found his Counselor safe and sound before then, Constable."

      "We've begun the search of the docking ring again. Another
party has started an examination of all docked starships. There are
six of them. These searches should..."

      "Did you meet any resistance from the captains about searching
their vessels?" Cisco interrupted. "I'd hope we could have resolved
the matter without that action."

      "Oh, just the expected protests about Federation violations of
their rights, but I used Docking Protocol 4 to squelch any
opposition. Of course, none of the captains are pleased about our
security personnel boarding their ships."

      Cisco sighed. "I guess things are beginning to get a little
tense around here."

      "Yes, Sir," Odo nodded slightly. 

      Just then red-headed Miles O'Brien stepped through the door.
As usual the base's operations chief had the sleeves of his uniform
pushed up. A slight sheen of perspiration covered his the brow. 

      "I think Quark may have solved the mystery, Commander."
O'Brien stated.

      "Quark?" Odo said incredulously.

      "Yes. He came to me a short time ago and ask me to look at a
stuck door in one of his holosuites. My first inclination was to
brush aside such a trivial request. You know how single-minded Quark
is about his business and our present problems seem to take
precedent. I had second thoughts, however, and sent Lieutenant
Everette to check out the door. He just reported back that the
locking mechanism door has been secured by some type override.
Everette thinks the override mechanism may have been purposefully
left by the Cardassians when they vacated the station."

      "You think Deanna Troi is in the holosuite?" Cisco asked.

      "We've looked everywhere. Where else could she be?" O'Brien
said.

      "Trapped in one of Quark's holosuites," Odo said, shaking his
head.

                              ******

      Deanna exited the Ready Room and walked up the ramp towards
the Tactical Station where Wesley Crusher still stood. She observed
that he appeared older, more mature and a little heavier than when
she had last seen him.

      "Wesley, we need to talk."

      "Yes, Sir."

      "Call me Deanna, please."

      He looked as if the request puzzled him. "All right...,
Deanna"

      "Let's go to the Observation Lounge. Captain Jellico wants me
to discuss a security matter with you in private."

      Deanna and Wesley entered the Observation Lounge. After she
sat down, he also sat down opposite her. She observed him for a
moment, trying to sense his emotional state, but she could find
little emotion in him. She found this strange, because when he had
lived on the Enterprise with his mother his pubescent emotions and
passions were almost too transparent to her. As a Betazoid female
she often felt his awkwardness around her. Now, there was none of
that present. All she felt was total stoic discipline. It was quite
a change from the brilliant, spirited teenager she had known before.

      "Wesley, we will be picking up Fleet Admiral Nechayev from the
Wellington at Starbase 65. You are to form a security party for the
Admiral while she is on board. Captain Jellico tells me that she
will have further orders for us when she arrives."

      "Yes, Sir. Two security officers should be sufficient, I would
think. I'll have them at the transporter room when she arrives."

      "Yes, that sounds fine."

      There followed an awkward silence, as Deanna pondered her next
line of questioning.

      "Will that be all, Commander?" Wesley asked, breaking the
silence.

      "No, no. Wesley, what can you tell me about Captain Picard and
Celtris Three?"

      She saw Wesley's eyes hardened and his jaw tensed. "Why do you
want to dredge all that up?"
      
      "Please, just tell me what you know."

      "Everyone knows the story. Picard, Worf, and my mother were
sent on a covert mission to Celtris Three. The details of the
mission still remain classified, other than we know that they were
ambushed by the Cardassians." His voiced took on a hard, bitter
edge. "They were all captured. Some now think that Picard probably
engineered the trap so that he could defect. Anyway, Worf and my
mother died at the hands of the Cardassians in one of their
internment camps." He blinked his eyes nervously.

      Deanna caught her breathe. No, no, that's not what happened,
she thought. Worf and Beverly survived the attack, but Picard was
taken captive. Although tortured he survived, too. She could not
accept what Wesley had just said.

      Wesley continued; his was voice bitter, "But the traitor
Picard defected to the Cardassians, and told all he knew about
Starfleet plans to those barbarians. Reports are that he is living
the good life now. So you see, Commander, Picard was responsible for
the death of both my father and mother, as well as thousands of
others."

      He glared at her.

      Deanna did not know how to respond. She chose her words
carefully. "Wesley, what if I were to tell you that both your mother
and Worf survived the attack."

      A scowl crossed Wesley's face of utter disbelief. "You're
crazy. I saw my mother's broken body before she was buried beside my
Dad."

      Deanna rubbed a hand over her eye, which now was throbbing. Am
I going crazy, she thought.

      Suddenly Wesley stood up. "If that's all, may I be excused,
Commander?"

      She looked at his pained and angry face. She thought she would
never see such a look of abject hatred and consuming anger in the
eyes of Wesley Crusher. This was not the Wesley she had known. She
nodded, "Yes, Lieutenant. You're excused."

      Wesley turned and strode through the doorway leading back to
the bridge.

      Deanna sighed, resting her head in her hands on the cool table
top. Was she really going crazy? How could Picard be a traitor? Were
Beverly Crusher and Worf both dead? How could she have such a bright
recollection of their survival and subsequent life after Celtris
Three, and yet all she was now experiencing indicated the exact
opposite. And how could she be Commander Riker, the first officer of
the Enterprise? She had never aspired to command. Her mind was a
jumble of disjointed and incoherent thoughts. She lifted her head
and looked at her reflection on the highly polished table top. "Am
I loosing my mind?" she said out loud. She rubbed her pain-filled
eye; her headache was spreading.

      "Computer, what is the current stardate?" she asked, massaging
her temple.

      "The current stardate is 53458.8."

      She slumped back in the chair. The last stardate she could
recall was 47310, the date of the Bejoran medical conference on the
wormhole at Deep Space Nine. She could not account for the past six
years!

                              ******

      Quark was ready to greet Cisco, Odo, and O'Brien as they
entered from the Promenade. The Ferengi was all smiles, as he
greeted the two Starfleet officers and shapeshifter.

      "Ah, Commander, what a welcome sight. I am honored that you'd
think my little problem worthy of your personal attention. Your
lieutenant's still up there trying to get the door open."

      "I see," Cisco replied. "Show us where this doorway is."

      "Of course."

      Quark quickly lead the way up to the upper holosuite level,
stopping in front of a doorway. Lieutenant Everette had the control
access panel off and was so preoccupied with working on the locking-
out override that he did not notice the four men's approach.

      "Lieutenant, what have you found?" Cisco asked.

      "Oh," Everette looked up startled, "It's something I've never
seen before, Sir. The normal computer program which controls the
holosuite has been altered. It appears that access to the new
program is protected by an encrypted polynumeric subsitution system
as a restricted gateway. Usually cracking such a cipher would be no
problem for us, but just when I am about to do it, the gateway is
totally reencrypted and reset. We just have to start cryptanalysis
again. I have been unable to break through it and regain access to
the suite. It's not a very sophisticated system, but I doubt our own
computer will be able to break it anytime soon as long as it remains
dynamic."

      "Has any pattern developed as it changes?" O'Brien asked,
bending down and peering into the panel's scrambled readout.

      "It appears to be random, Miles."

      "Whew," O'Brien said, straightening up. "Commander, who ever
designed this little baby knew what he was doing."

      "Have you been able to ascertain if anyone is inside?" Cisco
asked.

      "No, Sir. The gateway has also limited our access to what's
going on in side. We do know that the holosuite has been activated
and that a program is running, but Quark can't identify it."
Everette responded.

      "Ah, Commander," Quark chimed in, "the holosuite programs we
run are pretty routine fantasy-type things. You know what I mean.
Actually most of them are variations on certain themes. Nothing
dangerous or anything like that. We just aim to please our
customers. But this program is not in our file. Someone has
activated a strictly personal program. This is against our house
rules. In fact, someone shouldn't be even be able to do it. I plan
on having the culprit taken into custody when we get the door open."

      "We'll see about that," Odo grunted.

      Quark glared at the shapeshifter.

      Cisco turned to O'Brien and asked, "How about just shutting
down the computer link for this section and just closing down the
whole thing?"

      "What!" Quark gasped. "It'd close down my whole business. You
can't do that for just a stuck door."

      "Or we could just break the door down," Odo said.

      "No!" Quark exclaimed. "If you do that, you can be sure that
the Starfleet is going to pay for the damage and my loss of
business."

      "Commander," O'Brien said, "that might not be such a good
idea. We don't know what's going on in the holosuite. Any intrusive
action on our part may make matters worse inside. We'd better
keeping trying to override the lockout."

      Cisco nodded. "Okay, keep at it O'Brien. I'll go back to Ops
and let Picard know what we've found."

      As Cisco and Odo started for the lower level Quark accompanied
them, trying to get answers from the Starfleet officer. 

      "Is that the infamous Picard of the Battle of Maxia?" Quark
asked.

      "No comment," Cisco responded.

      "What does Picard have to do with my stuck door?" the Ferengi
asked.

      "This is an internal security matter, Quark," Odo said.

      "Ah, Internal security. That's why I've been seeing Odo's men
scurrying all over the place. I thought something funny was going
on, especially when some of the ship's captains came in complaining
of having their ships searched. Who are they looking for?"

      "It's a Starfleet matter. Leave it alone, Quark." Cisco
responded sharply.

      "Now it's Starfleet."

      Cisco stopped at the entrance and turned to Quark, "Look. If
any damage results to your precious holosuite, Starfleet will take
care of it."

      "That's all your going to tell me?"

      "Yeah," Cisco answered, as he and Odo left.

      "Quark stared after the two men and then turned, looking up at
the holosuite level.

                              ******

      Deanna entered her quarters slowly and slumped down on her
bed. While making her way to her quarters, she had been unable to
sort out the conflicting reports she had received. Seeing a
workstation on a table she crossed over to it and activate the
device. 

      "Computer show me the records of Deanna Troi...,uh, Riker."

      Her face appeared in one corner of viewer with her service
record in the rest of the field. Everything appeared normal until
she reached the date 47310, the date of the wormhole conference.
After that there appeared a number of entries of inconsequential,
but un-remembered events, until 48020, when she was promoted to
Commander and transferred to the U.S.S. Yeager. She could not
remember ever hearing of such a vessel. Under the date of 50601 she
and Lieutenant W. Thomas Riker of the same vessel were married on
Betazed.

      Thomas Riker! The name caused a rush of sensations to fill
mind. She could clearly see his face and their final parting on the
Enterprise, but nothing after that date. How could she forget
serving with him on the Yeager and their subsequent marriage? It
just did not make sense.

      Looking back at the viewer she saw her transfer date back to
the Enterprise and assignment as Jellico's first officer just five
months ago. There was no indication of why she had been transferred
and had stepped into a command level position. Another perplexing
puzzle.

      She stood up, rubbing her forehead. The headache was still
there. Crossing to the replicator she requested a cool drink of
water. Taking the glass, she drank the refreshing liquid. Setting
the glass on the table by the workstation, she asked the computer
for the records of Jean-Luc Picard. As the viewer displayed his
records, she felt an overpowering drowsiness descend on her. She
could hardly keep her eyes open. Standing up, she groggily made her
way to her bed and collapsed. Sleep overtook her instantly.

                              ******

            Captain's Log, Stardate 47313. We have
            arrived at Deep Space Nine. Starbase
            commander Benjamin Cisco reports that his
            staff has been unable to locate Counselor
            Troi. It appears that she is probably
            inside a dolodeck-like room, which has been
            locked-out and protected by a sophisticated
            computer cipher program. All attempts to
            either override or decipher the program has
            proved futile. Nothing is know about what
            is going on inside the room.

      Cisco and Odo waited at the docking port. Doctor Crusher was
there as well. In a moment the heavy circular door rolled aside and
Captain Picard strode through, accompanied by Riker, La Forge and
Data. Picard looked grim.

      "Captain," Cisco nodded in greeting. "I wish your visit to DSN
was under better circumstances."

      "Me too, Commander," Picard nodded back. "Where is this
holodeck?"

      "Holosuite," Odo corrected.

      "Whatever," Riker interjected. "What's the problem with
opening a simple door?"

      "I'll brief you on the way," Cisco said turning down the
corridor, the others following him.

                              ******

      Deanna was sprawled on her bed, deeply asleep. The door to her
quarters opened and Wesley Crusher entered. He first went to a table
and laid a phaser on it. He then went to the bed and placed a small
device against Deanna's temple. After pressing a small button on its
top, he quickly removed it and stepped back.

      Deanna awakened with a start; someone was in her room. She sat
up quickly. Wesley Crusher stood over her. 

      "The Captain wants you on the Bridge. We're docking at Deep
Space Nine and Admiral Nechayev has already arrived on board. You
didn't respond to the computer, so he sent me to see if you all
right."

      "I'm fine," she said bruskly. She did not feel comfortable
with Wesley's intrusion into her private quarters, and the damned
headache was still pounding in her head. She felt groggy and a
little disoriented. "Let's go," she said standing up.

      "Better get your phaser," Wesley said, indicating the weapon
on the table.

      Deanna picked up the phaser and slipped it into holster on her
hip. The two officers walked through the doors into the corridor
beyond. 

                              ******

      As Picard, Cisco and the others entered Quark's establishment,
Quark rushed to meet them, blocking Picard's path.

      "Ah, so you are the famous Jean-Luc Picard of the Stargazer."
The words dripped with malice.

      "What, the..." Picard responded, looking at Cisco.

      "Quark!" Cisco interjected, "Step aside."

      Quark eyed Picard and slowly stepped away. "It's an honor to
welcome the Hero of the Battle of Maxia," he said, his voice filled
with contempt.

      Picard pushed by the Ferengi, followed by the others. Quark
stepped in the rear, grabbing Cisco's sleeve. "I don't want that man
in my establishment. I lost a good friend at Maxia."

      "Quark, I don't want any trouble while he's here. As soon as
we get the holosuite doors open and see what's inside, he'll be
gone."

      Quark nodded soberly, staring past Cisco at Picard's
retreating back. He fell in behind Cisco, as the starbase commander
rushed to catch up to Picard. When Cisco passed Odo, he muttered,
"Keep an eye on Quark. I don't want any trouble while Picard's
here."

      Odo nodded and fell in step beside Quark. The Ferengi eyed the
shapeshifter suspiciously.

      Upon reaching the holosuite, La Forge and Data joined in the
attempt to disable the cipher, but even they were stumped by the
dynamic aspects of the override. Every attempt was foiled as the
cipher unexpectedly changed.

      "Most intriguing," Data said, standing up. "I'm sure that
someone is monitoring our progress. Just as we are about the solve
it, it changes."

      "You mean that whoever is in there, knows we're out here?"
Riker asked. 

      "It appears so, Commander," La Forge answered.

      "Then we can assume that Troi is being held captive?" Doctor
Crusher asked.

      "Yes," Odo stated. "If she is in there, she is most assuredly
being held against her will."

      "Riker looked at the shapeshifter, trying to refute his
statement. Then he turned to Picard and asked, "But why Troi?"

      "And why in a holodeck?" Picard asked. He looked at the
others, but no one responded.

                              ******

      The doors from the bridge open and Jellico led the group of
officers into the Observation Lounge. Lieutenant Crusher and Captain
Jellico stood beside Admiral Nechayev, while Deanna stood behind
them. At the rear of the party two of Wesley's security men stood by
the doorway, ready to take Picard and Gal Madred into custody.
Jellico looked at Nechayev, who nodded.

      Jellico touched his communicator, "Captain Cisco, we are ready
to have Picard and Madred transported to our position."

      "We are ready here, Captain." Cisco's voice came through
Jellico's communicator sound plate.

      "Sobok, transport Picard and Madred to the Observation
Lounge."

      "Aye, Sir. Transporting now." the Transporter Chief responded
over the intercom.

      In a moment two swirling transporter beams appeared at the
other end of the Lounge. The beams coalesced into Picard and Madred.
Picard was dressed in his old uniform as a Starfleet captain, while
Madred's attire was a nondescript loose robe of course gray
material. Picard's face was etched in grim, sober lines. His eyes
were weary and suspicious. Madred stood placid, looking from right
to left around the room with an almost bored expression.

      Deanna could feel Nechayev and Jellico stiffen at the sight of
Picard in his uniform. How presumptuous, Jellico muttered to
himself. The two parties regarded each other without a word. Deanna
sought to read Picard's emotional state, but nothing came through to
her at all. She could not understand this, because she had always
been able to sense easily Picard's state of mind. It perplexed her
that she could not sensed any emotion in him now. He was a compete
cipher to her.

      Then Nechayev step forward and cleared her voice. "Jean-Luc
Picard," she began, but before she had barely finished his name,
Picard whipped out a palm-size weapon and fired point-blank into the
Admiral's chest. The force of the beam propelled the woman back into
the Jellico and Deanna, who staggered under the force of the impact
and fell to the floor. Before Wesley could draw his phaser, Picard's
second blast tore into the officer's chest. The dying Wesley crashed
into the security officers, throwing them to the ground in a tangle
of bodies.

      Quickly freeing himself from the Admiral's body, Jellico rose
and fired his phaser but Picard ducked behind a chair as the blast
passed harmlessly over his shoulder. From behind the chair Picard's
third shot hit Jellico; his body rolled off the conference table and
again on top of Nechayev and Deanna. Deanna could tell Jellico was
not dead, because he was straining for breath and moaning softly.

      Deanna struggled beneath the dead weight of both Nechayev and
Jellico's bodies, desperately trying to free herself. Picard was
hiding behind the table now, firing at the two security men, who
also had sought cover beneath the table. Deanna saw Madred still
standing, coolly watching the carnage as if he was merely a
spectator and unafraid of any of the energy blasts. Deanna punched
her communicator, "Red Alert. Red Alert. Security to the Observation
Lounge. NOW!" She was aware of the klaxon sounding.

      Deanna' voice brought her to Picard's attention. He turned and
fired in her direction, but the blast was absorbed by Nechayev's
body. By now Deanna had her phaser out and instinctively fired at
Picard, hitting his arm as he ducked behind a chair. He yowled in
pain and made a dash through the doors into the hallway beyond.
Deanna's second blast splintered the doors, as they closed behind
the retreating Picard. She rose and ran after Picard, passing Madred
who was still just standing and observing the whole affair.

      "Get out of my way," Deanna shouted, shoving the Cardassian
aside. She disappeared through the doorway. Madred looked after her,
a malevolent grin spreading across his face. "Now it's my turn,
Picard. You won't defeat me again," he scowled. He took a small
device from beneath his robe, pressed a sensor plate, and spoke one
word, "Picard."

                              ******

      Outside the holosuite door, O'Brien, Data, and La Forge
hurriedly work at deactivating the locked-out door. They found it a
substantial challenge, because of the Cardassian convoluted and
randomly changing coded array imposed on the locking mechanism.
Behind them stood Cisco, Odo, Picard and Riker, impatiently
observing the two men's work. Doctor Crusher waited off to one side.
Behind the group Quark paced angrily, muttering to himself about who
was going to pay for any damage to the door and holosuite, and
angrily eying Picard.

      Suddenly a voice came through the intercom, "Picard."

      Picard stiffened when he heard the voice. He knew it well.
"Gal Madred!" he exclaimed.

      "So you remember me, Captain."

      "Yes." Picard said flatly, feeling a peculiar nausea growing
inside his stomach. He inadvertently touched his chest where Madred
had placed the pain-inducing implant, since removed by Doctor
Crusher.

      "I have your Counselor, Deanna Troi, with me in here. If you
don't want her harmed, you'll do as I say."

      "I'll not negotiate with a torturer, Madred."

      "Now, Captain, whose talking about negotiations. If you want
Troi, you just have to come and get her -- alone."

      "How do I know that Troi is all right?"

      "Come now, Picard, you have my word," Madred's voice dripped
with sarcasm. "Decide quickly, as time is running out."

      "You can't go in there alone, Captain," Riker said. "You don't
know what type of program he is running. Let me go instead."

      "No, Rik..."

      "Picard," Madred voice interrupted, again cutting through the
air. "Perhaps this will speed your decision." A woman's terrorized
scream filled the corridor.

      Quark covered his ears in pain. Riker bolted for the door,
almost knocking over O'Brien. "You bastard!" he yelled. Cisco and
Odo pulled him back. It took Cisco, Odo and O'Brien to restrain him.
He thrashed in their grip. "Dammit, let me go!"

      Picard stepped towards the door. "Madred, let me in. I'm
alone," he called out, drawing his phaser.

                              ******

      Deanna ran, crouched down the corridor, the red alarm klaxon
sounding loudly. She had not sighted Picard, but it was easy enough
to follow the trail of small droplets of blood on the deck from the
wound in his arm. The corridor was empty. Where was security, she
kept wondering. She came to a junction; the red droplets turned to
the right. She peered around the corner. Picard was kneeling with
his phaser in firing position. She ducked just as a blast tore into
the wall across from her. She waited a moment and looked gain. He
was gone. She turned the corner and continued her chase along the
corridor.

                              ******

      Slowly the holosuite doors parted wide enough to admit one
person. Picard and the others were surprised to see a curved
corridor of the Enterprise inside the holosuite. An alarm klaxon was
sounding loudly. No one was in sight. Picard squeezed cautiously
through the narrow opening and the doors began to close immediately
behind him. O'Brien frantically worked the access panel, trying to
prevent the doors from closing, but it was no use, the heavy doors
clanged shut.

      The men holding Riker loosen their grip. He bolted forward
again, "Get those doors open," he shouted at O'Brien and La Forge.
"NOW!"

                              ******
      
      Instead of looking behind him, Picard sensed the holosuite
doors close and dematerialize. Then he looked briefly over his
shoulder. Although he knew he was in a Deep Space Nine holosuite,
the corridor he stood in was identical in every respects to those in
the Enterprise. He could see no one. The feeling was eery. He did
not know what was going on or what the nature of the program which
was running, but he knew he was in danger. Suddenly the alarm klaxon
stopped sounding, being replaced by an unnatural stillness.

      "Counselor Troi, can you hear me?" he called out.

      There was no response. 

      "Show yourself, Madred!"

      There still was no response. He began to walk slowly, his
phaser ready.

                              ******

      When the klaxon stopped sounding, it took Deanna by surprise.
She stopped and listened, but all she could here was a foreboding
silence. She was breathing heavily, her heart pounding in her chest.
She stared at the blood splatters on the carpet, leading her on the
chase. She crept quietly to a juncture and stopped by the corner.
She breathed deeply twice, held her phaser at the ready and swung
around the corner.

                              ******

      Picard saw Troi suddenly lunged into view around a corner. She
looked disheveled and frantic, as if she was being chased. He raise
his hand and started to speak.

                              ******

      Troi spied Picard at the end of the corridor, raising his
phaser in front of him. She dropped to a knee and fired
instinctively. The phaser beam punched squarely into Picard's chest,
the force of the blast throwing him back against the bulkhead. He
collapsed, his phaser skittering across the floor.

      She stood up slowly, breathing heavily, and looked at the
crumpled Picard. Instinctively she knew he was not dead. She started
walking down the corridor, her phaser pointed directly at him. From
out of nowhere Jellico appeared by her side.

      "He's not dead," Jellico rasped.

      "No, not yet," Troi breathed out.

      "Then kill him. Kill the traitor." he ranted.

      Deanna raised the phaser to fire. Suddenly she was overwhelmed
with a wash of emotions emanating from crumpled Picard. She felt his
surprise and pain. He was struggling for breath, while also trying
to understand what had happened to him. His head lolled and he
moaned, "Deanna." Hearing her name, Deanna's heart leaped in
recognition: this was not the same Picard she had met in the
Observation Lounge -- not the same cipher-of-a-man who had tried to
kill her. She lowered her phaser and gasped in the reality of the
situation. The Picard she had been chasing was a double; she had
just shot the real Picard. She lowered her weapon and started
towards Picard.

      Jellico grabbed her, holding her back. "Kill him," he yelled,
"That's an order!"

      As Deanna struggled in his grasp, trying to pull free, Jellico
suddenly transmuted into the robe-clad Madred. His powerful grasp on
Deanna's arm was wrenching the phaser free. Suddenly the phaser
fired, striking the wall which shimmered and coalesced into the door
of the holosuite.

      Even in the struggle Deanna recognized the doorway
superimposed on the wall of the corridor. A holodeck! It was all a
ruse! She had been Madred's pawn in an assassination attempt on
Picard. She was infuriated and Worf's martial arts training with
began to pay off. A fierce stomp on Madred's instep and savage
thrust of her knee into his groin doubled the Cardassian over in
pain. His hold on her was weakening. She turned with an upraised
fist, aiming for the small of his neck, but suddenly Madred raised
his head and drove it in into her stomach, knocking the wind of her
and sending the phaser sailing from her hand up the corridor. Deanna
buckled and collapsed to her hands and knees, gasping for breath.
Freed from the struggle with Deanna, Madred sprang after the phaser.

      Picking up the weapon the Cardassian grinned in victory.
Deanna slowly stood up, holding her stomach, while sucking in great
draughts of air. She stepped back by Picard, who had pushed himself
into a sitting position against the wall. "I'm sorry," Deanna said.
"I didn't..."

      "It's not your fault," Picard rasped out.

      Madred approached the two Starfleet officers.

      "Humans, you pathetic species." Madred sneered Picard. "And
you, half-breed," he said pointing the phaser at Deanna, "a
despicable union of two inferior races."

      Neither Picard nor Deanna responded to Madred's insults.

      "Nothing to say. Come now, Picard, you always had some
rebuttal. No. Well, I guess I'll have to finish the job that I
should have done on Celtris Three. You see, that little failure with
you did not sit well with my superiors. No one likes a reprimand and
demotion, especially me."

      Madred raised the phaser towards Picard.

                              ******

      "I think we've about got it," La Forge said. 

      The door to the holosuite vibrated with the sound of a muted
explosion.

      "That's a phaser hit on the door!" Riker exclaimed. "Stand
back I'm going to force the door."

      "No!" Quark exclaimed, trying to break through the cordon of
offices, but Odo restrained him.

      Riker cranked up his phaser and fired directly at the door.
The heavy metal doors shook at the impact of the blast. La Forge and
O'Brien jumped as a flash of light and sparks exploded from the
control panel. Data and Odo quickly stepped up to the doors and
forced them apart. Riker and Cisco waited impatiently as the doors
parted, poised to enter with their phasers at the ready.

                              ******

      The blast and opening of the holosuite doors distracted
Madred, who jerked his weapon in that direction and fired
instinctively. The beam punched into the door with a shower of
sparks and smoke. Through the smoke two figures appeared, crouching
low with their weapons at the ready. They both fired at the same
instant, but only one blast hit the Cardassian who was propelled
backwards and slammed to the floor, his phaser flying away. He was
wreathing in agony as Riker and Cisco approached him.

      "Help me up."

      Denna's voice behind them startled the two officers, who
turned and saw her struggling to assist the injured Picard to his
feet. The men rushed to help. Riker put a supporting arm around
Deanna, as Cisco and La Forge helped Picard to stand upright. Doctor
Crusher was instantly Picard's side, scanning him with her
tricorder.

      "Are you all right, Sir?" Riker asked.

      "We need to get you to sickbay," Crusher said.

      Picard nodded and said, "But let me see Madred first."

      With the others help Picard laboriously made his way to the
fallen Madred, who was still conscious, but grimcing in pain,
luckily both Riker and Cisco's phasers had been on stun. Doctor
Bashir hurried in and began attending him, placing a hypospray at
his necked.

      "You win again, Picard," Madred rasped.

      Picard said nothing, but stared at the Cardassian as he passed
out. Picard looked at Bashir.

      "He'll survive, Sir," the physician said.

      Picard nodded somberly and turned to Deanna who was clinging
to Riker as tears streamed down her face, saying, "Let's get back to
the real Enterprise, Counselor."

      "Gladly, Sir," Deanna said. "Gladly."

                              ******

      Deanna sat on the couch in the Ready Room. She felt relieved
to be in its familiar setting, her eyes wandering over Picard's
personal affects. Picard approached from her the replicator,
carrying two cups of hot Earl Gray tea.

      "Here, I've found this to be quite relaxing, Counselor," he
said, passing a cup to Deanna before sitting down beside her.

      "Thank you."

      Picard took a sip and said, "Madred has been quite candid
about how he went about his little operation. Using a Cardassian
experimental personal cloaking device he sneaked onto the starbase
and kidnapped you from your quarters. He had enough information from
my interrogation and his probing of your thoughts to devise a
holodeck program for the Enterprise. He said that he found your
antipathy for Jellico so high that he couldn't help using him as the
captain of the Enterprise."

      Deanna nodded. "And Wesley?"

      "Oh yes, Wesley. At first he was just going to use Jellico in
his charade, but when he stumbled onto Wesley in his physiological
probe of you, he decided to turn Wesley into a bitter, anger young
man, so unlike your thoughts of him. He felt that his use of Wesley
and Thomas Riker were... how did he put it, `his little gems of
genius'. It must have a terrible ordeal."

      "Yes," Deanna said, sipping her tea.

      "I know how ruthless Madred can be. Fortunately we now have
him in custody. The Cardassians are demanding his return, and I'm
sure they are not pleased by his second failure, especially letting
us get a hold of their secret personal cloaking device. Geordi and
Data are conducting a full analysis of it for Starfleet Command
before we send it back to the Cardassains. Starfleet may decide to
send Madred back as well, knowing the Cardassians are brutally
efficient in disciplining its own."

      A moment of silence passed between them.

      "Captain, what is most troubling to me about the whole affair,
is how easily he manipulated me. Although I knew something was
wrong, yet when the time came Madred nearly achieved his goal to
kill you because of me."

      "Yes, but remember he kept you sedated most of the time. He
contrived the Enterprise episodes when you were awake to keep you
off balance."

      Deanna shook her head, "I guess I've always wondered if I
could take another's life if I had too. Now I know."

      "That's a question all Starfleet officers ask themselves. We
are trained to respond to any eventuality. Faced with a dangerous
and perilous situation, you acted according to your training."

      "That's a small comfort, Sir."

      The beeps of the intercomm sounded. "Captain, you are needed
on the Bridge. We are approaching the rendezvous with the U.S.S.
Hood," Data's voice filled the air.

      Touching his communicator, Picard responded, "I'll be right
there."

      Picard and Deanna stood up . Taking her cup he placed the two
cups on the desk. As they turned to leave, he stopped Deanna.

      "Counselor," Picard said, placing a comforting hand on her
arm, "I'd say that you faced and overcame your own personal
Kobayashi Maru in that holodeck."

      "Perhaps so," Deanna said, "but I now know a side of my
personality that I didn't know existed before. One that I don't
particularly like."

      Picard nodded in understanding. The two officers walked
through the doorway to the Main Bridge, the doors swishing closed
behind them.

                              The End

--------------------------- END OF FILE -------------------------