From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 91 23:19:37 -0400

>    A minor nit. I believe the new enhanced Denise chip for Amiga's.
>(it comes with the new OS upgrade and in the newer Amiga's like the A3000
>and A500) can do programmable scan rates.
>    The slower the scan rate, the higher the resolution, and vice-versa.
>(Obviously, the bandwidth to video ram is fixed, so if you need to
>fetch data at a faster display rate, you have to fetch less of it.)
>There is program that runs the scan rate between 20-70hz floating around
>somewhere, I don't know if it can run any faster.
>
>  Why do we need 120 frames per second? If you can only render
>VR frames at 15-20 per second, I think  60fps is fast enough.

The problem isn't programming the video rate to 120 Hz, it's affording a 
monitor that can display it! (B-{))

The idea behind 120 Hz frame rates is to reduce flicker when using Sega
glasses: as half the frames go to the left eye and the other half to the
right, standard 60 Hz video is seen as 30 Hz, which flickers noticeably.
At the 120 Hz video rate, each eye sees 60 Hz, thus no flicker.  I don't
know if anyone's fooled with 100 Hz or 80 Hz video-- 80 Hz monitors
are a lot cheaper than 120 Hz capable multisync monitors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| My life is Hardware,                    |                              | 
| my destiny is Software,                 |         Dave Stampe          |
| my CPU is Wetware...                    |                              | 
| Anybody got a SDB I can borrow?         | [email-masked] |
__________________________________________________________________________