Subject: Re: LPC!

From: MATT CARPENTER <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 14:24 PDT

In message <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

>Sleep deprivation produces miracles!  Imagine being able to program objects
>in LPC on an LP-Mud with datagloves in mind!  Of course, you would need to 
>add graphics routines to the language, and you would need to change all the 
>text output to graphic or audio output, and the resulting project would no 
>doubt either swell up into several megs of code before there could even be
>two functional rooms...

Actually, I've been thinking about something like this for a while.  If the
user connects to the MUD from a personal computer, then the MUD wouldn't have
to do much more than keep track of where the objects are (which is pretty much
what they already do anyway, although it would also need to keep track of
coordinates).  All the graphics computations and stuff could be done by the
user's computer.  For instance, the MUD would just say something like "Object
#1 has moved to x,y,z" and the user's computer, which  already has the
description data for object #1, generates the scene.  Likewise, the user's
computer translates the actions of the user (like moving a power glove around)
into a similar form which is sent to the MUD.  Of course this would all be
rather crude, but it would be interesting to experiment with. 

>Let me know if you are crazy enough to try this. 
> 
>Adam

Sure, I'm crazy enough.  Anybody else interested, or have suggestions?

Matt

---

From: [email-masked] (John D Beutel)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 91 16:34:51 EDT

> Sure, I'm crazy enough.  Anybody else interested, or have suggestions?

I'm crazy enuf, too.  That sounds like a really exciting approach to 
group communications and work environments, which has applications for
reducing business travel (among other things).  It was a MUD that
got me interested in VR in the first place (altho it was text).

I have some experience with adventures, MUD's, and adventure languages.
But, I don't have enuf.  I.e., I don't feel like I know the perfect
language to use, or the right combiniation of flexibility/power versus
simplicity/usability for the user programming language within the MUD.

But, there are other people (somewhere) who may be interested in a
project like this and have much more MUD programming experience,
on both the system and user sides.  Such a large part of this project
would overlap the issues of a normal MUD, that we'd need people
with lots of experience with MUD's.

The VR stuff would be fairly unknown to everyone, so that's okay,
but I wouldn't want to stumble around making MUD mistakes that
someone else could easily avoid. 

So, are there MUD experts on this list?

--
J. David Beutel  11011011  [email-masked]  "I am, therefore I am."