Subject: PC Hires Code - timing ! (fwd)

From: Bernie Roehl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 91 7:52:25 EDT

>     2. Is the timing in the hires setup code critical, and if so, within
>         what errors do I have to work ?

Not sure about this, but the timing diagrams recently posted to the list
may have the answer (they're in Postscript and I have yet to print them
out).

> 
>     3. Has anybody produced assembler to read the glove in hires, and
>         also to switch off all other interrupts, and autocalibrate ?

No, but once I get the interrupt mode fully functional I may turn it into
a TSR.
 
>             There's some problems with the code that was posted - primarily
>             to do with setup overhead on the while loops - Not all of
>             us have 486's with hi speed long division and subtraction etc...

My fault -- will be fixed soon, maybe today.  I switched over to using
microseconds as my delay unit throughout, and was doing the conversion
(a multiply AND a divide!) for each bit.
 
>             I'm using a 16M 286 AND a friend is using a 10M XT !

Yikes!  Get a new machine!  (seriously!)

>             So we've
>             got to have portable code that autocalibrates and runs OK on
>             either machine.  We may even end up writing some assembler module
>             to do it for us, but we'd rather not do something anyone else
>             has done.

Wait a day or so till my fixes are in and try that... if it doesn't work,
you may be forced into coding in assembler or buying a faster machine.

-- 
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: [email-masked] OR [email-masked]
	BangPath: watmath!sunee!broehl
	Voice:  (519) 885-1211 x 2607 [work]