From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 91 21:07:52 -0400

[email-masked] (Alan Kilian) posts a file:

>Hmmm let me think about that. Let's get some numbers in here. 
>O.K. 120 frames per second. 1.3ms from full phosphor output to zero output.
>2ms to switch the LCD from one state to another. (On ->Off or Off -> On)
>How about 7ms for each frame to be drawn every 8ms.
>

That's assuming you've 
a) Got a Stereographics type frame rate doubler, or
b) A *very* high-end multisync monitor and reprogrammed the video hardware on
  <any of a LOT of home computers, including the IBM PC VGA card and including
   the Atarti, Amiga, and Mac>

Most of us *won't* be using such a monitor, so stereo will have to be at 30
left, 30 right frames/sec.  Sega glasses work GREAT at this rate.  That 
1.3 mS phospor delay can be fixed with a 555 timer chip, set to delay 1.3 mS
LESS than the vertical frame rate, and triggered off the photodetector.
Works stably enough.  If you've got the bucks for 120 Hz display system, you
can probably afford Stereogrophics "CrystalEyes", which blow the Sega glasses
out of the water on speed and transmissivity-- AND they're wireless. 

If you ARE reprogramming the hardware, you can set the vertical blanking time
to be long enough to let the Sega glasses switch, anyway.  Doesn't sound too
hard.  THe problem is the super-multisync monitor required, which is
currently running at $900-$1500 a pop.

Just noodjing,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| My life is Hardware,                    |                              | 
| my destiny is Software,                 |         Dave Stampe          |
| my CPU is Wetware...                    |                              | 
| Anybody got a SDB I can borrow?         | [email-masked] |
__________________________________________________________________________