Subject: connection suggestion, and other questions

From: [email-masked] (Ralph Roland)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 91 16:58:16 -0500

[email-masked] writes :

>My actual interface hack on the glove side is just a bunch of wires
>that I plug directly into the holes in the female glove connector.
>I used non-stranded wires of the correct guage (I dunno which guage I
>use) and they just insert into the nintendo connector and fit snugly.
>I color-coded them so I know how to re-insert them if I ever remove them.
>So I as able to do the interface without destroying the glove connector
>and without finding an extender cable.

If you can't find an extender cable, a more permanent solution would
be to open the interface box (the one with the telephone number on it)
and solder a new cable directly to the PCB.  All five wires from the
seven pin connector attach directly to the nine pin connector, and 
right next to the 9Pin connector is an unused hole-pattern for another
9Pin wired in parallel.  It seems almost like it was made for this.

BTW, does anybody have details on how the sonics in the glove work
(i.e. Schematics, Theory of Operation, etc)?  Has anybody considered
seperating the receiver(?) boxes by more than the 1.5' to see if a 
larger 'field of view','range of motion',etc can be achieved (without
replacing the glove controller itself)?  Has anyone considered any
mods that could be done to the glove to allow multiple gloves to be 
used in the same room?  So many questions so little time...

Ralph Roland
/RER/

---

From: Dave Stampe-Psy+Eng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 91 17:16:18 -0500

> From [email-masked] Sun Oct 27 17:02:19 1991
> From: [email-masked] (Ralph Roland)
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: connection suggestion, and other questions
> 
> 
Yep... Look in the glovelist archives, if you can FTP karazm.math.uh.edu.  
They're in he PUB directory.   I think the June archive has wiring guides
and even a (low resolution hardware circuit for measuring distances.

If you spread the receiver boxes apart, you'll get less resolution but a 
larger range.  If you're putting the receivers on the floor and hanging
your arm down over them, Isuggect moving them closer together, as this allows you to bring the glove closer to the receivers, as they have trouble seeing
the glove if it's more than 30 degrees off their face directions (or, 
tilt the receivers toward the center...)

As for multiple gloves, you can choose one of: Slowing down the data rate
of each glove (just add a couple of transistors to alternate use of the 
glove's transmitters) or find some good 25 or 100 KHz ultrasonic
units.  I haven't been able to find any, and i'd LOVE to have them
for a head-angle sensor.

- Dave Stampe