Subject: Glove Problems

From: [email-masked] (Anthony Squier)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 91 19:53:18 PDT

Subject: Glove Problems 
To: karazm.math.uh.edu@glove-list
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 91 19:50:22 PDT
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3 PL0]

I am not sure if I have a glove that has gone bad or somthing else. 
I was successful in using the software from either Amazing Computing
or Amiga World to get the glove to work in lores on my Amiga. I've also written
my own code as well. But, when I moved the glove to the parallel port (from
the game port originally used for lores), it is now not working. I've not
been able to get the hires Amiga code to work that was posted earlier. The
glove will start to work, then hang. If I unplug the glove from the box and
re-run the program, it runs, then hangs again. Why can this happen.
Could the glove be defective or is it a timing problem? (Come to think of it,
lores code that I've written for the parallel port doesn't work either.)

Thanks

Tony...

---

From: [email-masked] (Nik Conwell)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 91 08:02:35 -0400

[email-masked] (Anthony Squier) writes:

>or Amiga World to get the glove to work in lores on my Amiga. I've written

I tried my glove last night using the hires hack (from [email-masked]).
(On a 2000 w/ 1.2 (soon to be 2.0 once I can find it somewhere.....)).

That code as supplied won't work with a glove wired in the Byte hack way
(Alan Bland used pin 4 where the byte hack uses pin 13).  My glove is also
wired the Byte hack way.  I looked at the code, and determined that to get
pin 13 data, you have to use cia b, instead of cia a (for the getbit() function
in glovehack/glove.c).  Looking the the manuals it appears that the & of
0x04 will mask out the correct bit (it's called select) and the >> 2 will
shift it to the rightmost bit.

When I start the code up, I get values for the x y z rot finger (etc) stuff.
I'm not sure if this stuff is valid or not, not knowing what a valid run has
in it.  Then, after a few seconds, all I seem to be getting in is 0xff, and
other runs of the characters.  The glove still works ok, and the directional
leds light up occasionally.

That's another problem.  Sometimes the directionals seem to be lighting up
totally randomly.  I point the glove down, and sometimes the up and right ones
will light up.  The finger ones seem to behave (after I've made a fist a few
times).  Also, when I run program 2, and center the glove, it still keeps on
beeping as though it wasn't at the center.  Is this an indication of noise,
and bad placement as others indicated before?  (My computer is placed in a 
corner, and I wasn't in the mood to unplug it, and move it all around yesterday
just to test this out).

Any insight is welcome.
Thanks.
-nik
--
[email-masked]