Subject: 68HC11 Hi-Res in the works

From: [email-masked] (Ron Menelli)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 91 09:59:22 CDT

With the large amount of code being produced for various platforms, it seems
that the microcontroller based approach is no longer being considered... Even
so, I have come up with a port of the various IBM PG driver sources (mostly
Dave Stampe's code) for the MC68HC11. It works well, but I have not yet added
the deglitching/hysterisis code, nor have I done any major fine tuning of the
code. It does, however, drive the glove correctly and output the data packet
over the serial port at 9600 baud (can be changed to a higher baud rate
depending on clock frequency and internal configuration). Taking my cue from
the AGE box, there is both a continuous mode that outputs the 6 bytes preceded
by an A0 (for lack of any better indicator), and a request mode that produces
the most recent set of 6 bytes on demand.
As I've noted previously, the code has not had its performance analyzed to
any great degree, but I think with some work this could help us out by freeing
up more precious CPU time. A minimum setup wouldn't even really cost that much-
I just bought an MC68HC811E2P, a version of the HC11 with 2k of EEPROM (more
than enough room for the code), for $16.61. The only other major component
needed is an RS-232 level shifter for a couple of dollars.
So, is anyone interested in this? If so, I'll post the code for everyone to
play with - BTW, this does run on the Motorola 68HC11 evaluation board, which
some people on this list have indicated they own.

Please send me any comments and suggestions,
Ron Menelli
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 91 12:48:40 -0600

I tried to respond directly to Ron Menelli, but the mail message
bounced, so I will let you all in on my thoughts about
micro-controllers.

I am interested in the microcontroller based approach, but not in
assembly code at the moment.  Also, I was planning on using a 6502
computer that I already have handy.  However, I could be convinced to
switch fairly easily.

Mainly I would request that people working on micro-controllers keep
us up to date on what they are doing.  In the near future, I am
probably going to be changing hardware platforms and may need a serial
interface.  In the mean time, I would like to know what the response
over the serial line is like.  I was thinking of connecting to my
micro-controller via the printer port for speed's sake.

Dudley Irish
________________________________________________________________________
Dudley Irish / [email-masked] / Manager Computer Operations
Center for Scientific Computing, Dept of Mathematics, University of Utah

The views expressed in this message do not reflect the views of the
Dept of Mathematics, the University of Utah, or the State of Utah.