Subject: 68hc811....

From: U-E99999-Stephen Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 91 11:06:25 EDT

The 68hc811 has 2k of eeprom and 6-800bytes of ram.  It has a mode where
it downloads a program from the serial port and then executes it.
The ideal setup is to have the public domain/portable assembler on a
PC (generic in this sense) with a serial cable.  Run the chip in
single chip mode with a toggle for bootstrapping.

I would suggest that someone (with more experience and time than I) do
the following:

Get together the simplest circuit possible for single chip mode or
a mode with some more ram.

Pinouts of an appropriate cable (serial and PG).

Re-distribute one of the portable assemblers and the PG source.

Provide a simple bootstrap that loads the executable image into
eeprom.

Coordinate PC software to interpret the data coming in from serial/parallel
port.

I believe this could be done with no evm/evb or eprom burner/eraser
and would cut the cost tremendously.

I am thinking of eventually selling a kit like this, but have a
very long queue of projects.  If anyone's interested, I also know
how to interface switches, relays, stepper motors, etc. very simply
to a standard parallel port.  I had a stepper spinning in either
direction with 4 transistors and a Basic program.

I have been looking at the 68hc811, but havn't had time to actually
do anything.

I have a lot of professional experience in many areas of software,
including industrial robotics, but I am hobbyist level in electronics.

If anyone would help me with the circuit and software initially, we
could produce these as a design, kit, and/or box.

Thanks.
sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams     SDW Systems (513) 439-5428   GE AEG (513) 552-5237
ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W     Internet: [email-masked] CIS 76244,210
                        [email-masked]       Prodigy   TPGR01A
Object Oriented R&D     By Horse: 10028 Village Tree Ct., Miamisburg, OH 45342