Subject: State machine boxes

From: [email-masked] (Tim Deagan)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 91 08:52:26 CDT

Even though I already made loud noises that the 8051 was a
great choice for a pglove -> serial box, I have been thinking
about how simple a state machine without a microp could be.

Has anybody out there tried burning a EPROM or E2PROM to deliver
the hires start sequence?  In the same way that audio samples are
"pseudo-digitized" and burned onto a PROM then clocked out 
directly to a speaker to give a reasonable reproduction, any
digital sequence can be burned and reproduced at a consistent rate.

A xtal, a PROM, a MAX232 for serial output and assorted glue ought
to put the glove in hires and deliver the 12 byte packet to the 
serial port.  It could have a reset button on the box.  This would
still leave noise reduction and such to software, but timing would
no longer be an issue.

Good start for a MIDI controller box too...

More from less.
--Tim
[email-masked]