Subject: [comp.music] ZIPI Spec (was Re: A MIDI-less topic)

From: [email-masked] (Paolo Valladolid)
Date: 19 Sep 1994 18:19:22 +0200

Archive-Name: auto/comp.music/ZIPI-Spec-was-Re-A-MIDI-less-topic

Here's one:

ZIPI (Zeta Instrument Processor Interface) is a proposed replacement
for MIDI developed by Zeta Instruments and UC Berkeley's CNMAT (Center
for New Music and Audio Technologies). ZIPI addresses many of MIDI's
limitations; including bandwidth, number of channels, etc., as well
as offering special control parameters for non-keyboard-based controllers
such as data gloves, guitars, wind controllers, etc. Recently, the
ZIPI specification has been made available by anonymous ftp at the
following sites:

mitpress.mit.edu:/pub/Computer-Music-Journal/Texts/ZIPI/
ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu:/pub/Publications/cmj/Texts/ZIPI/

In these directories are a README file and 6 articles in ASCII text and
PostScript formats.

Those who do not have anonymous ftp access may send their name and postal
address to [email-masked] for paper copies of the ZIPI specification.

ZIPI may have its name changed since its creators are thinking of dropping
the "Zeta" part to make it more palatable to other manufacturers. Zeta
hopes to introduce the first ZIPI-compatible guitar controller (with built
in synthesizer and MIDI I/O) at the Winter NAMM, followed by a high-end
ZIPI-compatible synthesizer module.

I am not affiliated with Zeta or CNMAT, but one of the readers of
the Digital Guitar mailing list is an affiliate. :)

Paolo Valladolid
-----------------------------------------------------------------
|Moderator of Digital Guitar Digest, an Internet mailing list	|\ 
|for Music Technology and Stringed Instruments 			| |
----------------------------------------------------------------- |
\ finger [email-masked] for more info			 \|
 -----------------------------------------------------------------