Subject: Project Censored--1989 list
From: [email-masked] (dave "who can do? ratmandu!" ratcliffe)
Date: 18 Jun 90 18:49:29 GMT
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.activism,misc.headlines,alt.conspiracy,ca.politics,ba.politics

Centrally controlled information has always posed one of the greatest
     threats to liberty and justice for all.  Think you're well-informed?
     Think we in America have free an unfettered access to *ALL* the goings
     on around us and throughout the world--particularly those that might 
     have a negative effect on our ourselves or others in far away lands?
     Read on to see what the top-ten most censored stories for 1989 were
     as selected by "Project Censored", an annual nationwide media research
     project, created in 1976 by Dr. Carl Jensen, Professor of 
     Communications Studies at Sonoma State University.  Quoting from their
     own brochure:

       The primary objective of "Project Censored" is to explore and 
     publicize the extent of censorship in our society by locating stories
     about significant issues of which the public should be aware, but is
     not, for one reason or another.

     The following article appeared in the "San Francisco Bay Guardian", 
     May 30, 1990, and is reprinted here with permission of the newspaper.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  NOTE:  This article examines Project Censored's annual report of the top-ten
  most censored news-worthy stories of 1989.  I have inserted pieces from the 
  Project Censored brochure into this posting and have delimited their 
  inclusion within square braces--[ ... ].

                           THE NEWS WE DIDN'T HEAR

               A panel of journalism experts names the year's
                 ten most important censored stories in the 
                    14th annual Project Censored report

     By Jean Tepperman and Emma Torres
     ---------------------------------

       SOME OF THE most important news of 1989 scarcely made the headlines.
       From corporate thought control to toxic waste in your gas tank, the
     major news media failed to report numerous big stories--and Project
     Censored has identified them.  In the United States, says Project
     Censored's founder, Sonoma State University Journalism Professor Carl
     Jensen, stories are censored, not by outright government repression,
     but by "the media's penchant for self-censorship and desire to avoid
     sensitive issues, coupled with the Bush administration, which is even
     more secretive than the Reagan era, [depriving] the public of
     information about issues it should know about."
       For the 14th year a panel of distinguished journalists and
     journalism experts, under the auspices of Project Censored, has
     selected the top ten censored stories of the year.

      ____________________________________________________________________ 
     |                                                                    |
     |                       THE PROJECT CENSORED PANEL                   |
     |                                                                    |
     |     JUDGES FOR THIS year's selection of the top censored stories   |
     |    were:  Dr. Donna Allen, founding editor of "Media Report to     |
     |    Women";  Jonathan Alter, senior writer at "Newsweek";  Ben      |
     |    Bagdikian, former dean of the Journalism School of the          |
     |    University of California at Berkeley;  Jim Cameron, founder     |
     |    and systems operator, CompuServe Journalism forum;  Noam        |
     |    Chomsky, professor of Linguistics and Philosophy,               |
     |    Massachusetts Institute of Technology;  George Gerbner,         |
     |    professor, Annenberg School of Journalism, University of        |
     |    Pennsylvania: Nicholas Johnson, professor, College of Law,      |
     |    University of Iowa;  Rhoda H. Karpatkin, executive director,    |
     |    Consumer's Union;  Charles L. Klotzer, editor and publisher,    |
     |    "St. Louis Journalism Review"; Judith Krug, director, Office    |
     |    for Intellectual Freedom, American Library Association;         |
     |    Frances Moore Lappe', executive director, FOOD FIRST;  Bill     |
     |    Moyers, executive editor, "Public Affairs Television";  Jack    |
     |    L. Nelson, professor, Graduate School of Education, Rutgers     |
     |    University;  Herbert I. Schiller, professor, Department of      |
     |    Communication, University of California at San Diego and        |
     |    Sheila Rabb Weidenfeld, president, D.C. Productions.            | 
     |       Sonoma State University student researchers reviewed and     |
     |    evaluated some 500 "censored" nominations from throughout       |
     |    the country.  They were:  Michael Accurso, Sally Acevedo,       |
     |    Audrey Auerbach, Alan Barbour, Janie Barrett, Debbie Cohen,     |
     |    Tahd Frentzel, Bill Gibbons, John Gilles, Jim Gregoretti,       |
     |    Tanya Gump, Tim Hilton, Darren LaMarr, Scott McKittrick,        |
     |    Tina Rich, Terril Shorb, Wendy Strand, Heller Waidtlow and      |
     |    Bill Way.  Mark Lowenthal was Project Censored Research         |
     |    Associate.                                                      |
     |____________________________________________________________________|

       This year the panel's selection for the number one under-reported
     story focuses on the very issue that inspired Project Censored:  the
     increasing monopoly of a few giant media corporations, which control
     more and more of the world's means of exchanging ideas and
     information.  [The growing threat of a handful of monopolistic global
     media lords to the international marketplace of ideas was named the
     top under-reported issue in the 14th annual media research effort
     title "Project Censored".  Ben Bagdikian, professor at the graduate
     school of journalism at the University of California, Berkeley, 
     warned that mammoth private organizations, driven by the profit 
     motive, already dominate the world's mass media and threaten the
     freedom of information which is the basis of all liberty.]
       The top ten censored stories of 1989 are:

     1. Corporate thought control
        [Global Media Lords Threaten Freedom of Information.]
        [Source:  "The Nation," 6/12/89, "Lords of the Global Village," by
         Ben Bagdikian.]

       News media have given us some glimpses of the high-stakes game of
     corporate mergers, but they have been almost silent about the growth
     of the small number of international companies that now dominate their
     own industry.  In an article in "The Nation," June 12, 1989, media 
     scholar Ben Bagdikian describes the power of five international 
     giants, Time Warner, Inc., Bertelsmann AG, News Corporation Ltd. 
     (Rupert Murdoch), Hachette SA and Capital Cities/ABC--together with a 
     second string of huge media organizations like Gannett--to control the
     information, ideas and entertainment that shape people's consciousness.
       Vertical monopolies multiply media power:  If one firm owns
     magazines, newspapers, movie studios and theaters, TV stations and
     record companies, it can create hits or celebrities that suddenly seem
     to be showing up everywhere.  And media monopolies extend beyond TV and
     movies to the traditionally more sober areas of book publishing and
     even scholarly journals.
       Bagdikian warns that the size and global audience of these firms
     give them a stake in reducing communication to all-purpose, acceptable
     content.  Book publishers, for example, are steered toward
     "blockbuster" books with huge sales.  Controversial publications that
     might not sell in some part of the world market (Salmon Rushdie's
     "Satanic Verses," for example) are seen as commercial failures.
       Corporate links to the industries that make news--banking, for
     example, or tobacco companies--give these media monopolies incentives
     to stifle dissenting voices.  At the same time, giant media firms have
     make-or-break power over politicians and many of their programs.
       Bagdikian warns that, as many countries are moving toward more
     democracy and civil liberties, these international media monopolies
     pose a new threat to freedom of communication.  He proposes an updated
     United Nations declaration on freedom of information that would
     establish antitrust principles and assure diversity and access in the
     media, to combat the "new mutation of that familiar scourge of the
     free spirit, centrally controlled information."

     2. Dumping on Africa
        [Turning Africa Into the World's Garbage Can.]
        [Source:  "In These Times," 11/8/89, "Western developmental 
         overdose makes Africa chemically dependent," by Diana Johnstone.] 

       As industrialized countries fill up their capacity for disposing of
     toxic waste--or companies get tired of paying high prices for toxic-
     waste disposal in the U.S. and Europe--some have searched for
     populations so desperately poor they will accept other countries'
     toxic wastes in exchange for badly needed cash.  They have found some
     takers, not surprisingly, in sub-Saharan Africa, already suffering
     from poverty, drought and famine.
       In the Nov. 8th-14th issue of In These Times, Diana Johnstone 
     describes several instances of toxic-waste dumping on Africa, 
     including:  a 1987 deal by the government of Guinea-Bissau to accept
     toxic waste for $40 a ton;  a private arrangement by an individual in
     Nigeria to allow an international toxics-disposal firm to dump PCBs in
     his backyard;  an agreement by the government of Benin to take up to
     five million tons a year of toxic waste for money to help pay its $700
     million foreign debt.
       European environmentalists persuaded the European Parliament to
     condemn this practice and demand cancellation of toxic-waste contracts
     in May 1989.  The Organization of African Unity has also condemned it,
     fearing that African governments' need for foreign exchange will push
     them to specialize in toxic-waste disposal, a pattern one Congolese
     diplomat called "attempted murder of African people."  But the poverty
     and large expanses of sparsely populated land in many sub-Saharan
     countries make regulations against toxic-waste dumping hard to
     enforce.

      ____________________________________________________________________ 
     |                                                                    |
     |                      BAY GUARDIAN STORY NOTED                      |
     |                                                                    |
     |    ELEVENTH in the Project Censored panel's pick of the top 25     |
     |    censored stories of 1989 was a Bay Guardian report by Craig     |
     |    McLaughlin that revealed the reasons behind the failures of     |
     |    the Federal Emergency Management Agency during the Oct. 17th    |
     |    earthquake.  The story traced FEMA's internal political         |
     |    history, demonstrating that its priority has increasingly       |
     |    been nuclear-war preparedness.  Under the leadership of         |
     |    right-wing ideologues assigned to the agency by the Reagan      |
     |    administration, planning for nuclear-war survival has so        |
     |    dominated the agency's agenda that it has failed to prepare     |
     |    for or provide help in real-life emergencies.                   |
     |____________________________________________________________________|

     3. Hidden holocaust
        [The Holocaust in Mozambique]
        [Sources:  "20/20," 3/2/90, "Children of Terror" and "Against All
         Odds," by Janice Tomlin and Tom Jarriel;  "Renamo Watch," 2/90,
         "Renamo's U.S. Support;"  "Utne Reader," Nov/Dec 1989, "The Hidden
         War in Mozambique," by Kalamu ya Salaam;  "MOZAMBIQUE Support 
         Newsletter," 2/90.]

       last year, as U.S. news media celebrated the overthrow of repressive
     Communist regimes, they all but ignored an ongoing, massive campaign
     of almost unbelievable cruelty being waged against the government and
     people of Mozambique by right-wing terrorists--with material and
     political support from private individuals and groups in the United
     States and Europe.
       The difference in coverage, observed the November/December 1989
     "Utne Reader" seems obviously related to the fact that "the
     government of Mozambique is predominately black and socialist and its
     chief enemy is the white-ruled anti-communist regime in South Africa."
       South Africa initially armed and supported the Mozambique National
     Resistance, whose methods include not only extensive economic sabotage
     like blowing up bridges and burning villages--causing widespread
     famine in this poorest country in the world--but also cruelty aimed at
     terrorizing people.
       Its special targets are children, who are forced to watch the
     torture and murder of family members, drafted into the army at ages as
     young as eight, forced to kill other children and villagers, raped and
     mutilated and separated by the tens of thousands from families and
     native villages.  Three of every five Mozambican children dies before
     age five.
       Senator Jesse Helms, who calls RENAMO "freedom fighters," television
     evangelist Pat Robertson and the Washington-based Heritage Foundation
     are among the U.S. citizens giving political or financial support to
     RENAMO.
       Roy Stacy, U.S. State Department deputy assistant secretary for
     African affairs is quoted in the "Utne Reader" article calling the
     RENAMO campaign "one of the most brutal holocausts against ordinary
     human beings since World War II."  The United Nations and the World
     Bank have both recently issued reports on the war in Mozambique.  But
     a March 2, 1990 report on ABC's "20/20" and a few stories on National
     Public Radio have been almost the only U.S. mainstream press coverage
     of RENAMO's devastation of Mozambique.

     4. Losing the drug war
        [America's Deceitful War on Drugs.]
        [Sources:  "NBC Nightly News," 2/22/89, by Brian Ross, Ira 
         Silverman, and Garrick Utley;  "San Francisco Chronicle," 12/89,
         "Policy Reportedly Undercut Drug War."]

       Does the U.S. really want to win the war on drugs?  That was the
     question the news media should have raised when Richard Gregorie, one
     of the country's top narcotics prosecutors in Miami, quit his job.
     Gregorie had aggressively pursued big-time cocaine bosses and drug-
     corrupted officials in and out of the United States.
       But as he began going up the drug-business chain of command, he
     targeted foreign officials friendly with the U.S. government, and the
     State Department started interfering with his investigations, telling
     him to stay away from certain sensitive areas.  Gregorie's operations
     were subsequently stopped at the request of the State Department and
     he quit in protest.
       One story on the Feb. 22,1989 "NBC Nightly News," by Brian Ross, Ira
     Silverman and Garrick Utley, and a brief "New York Times" news story
     in December 1989 reported on Gregorie's claims of interference by the
     State Department, but in other media the story was suppressed.  An
     editor at the "New York Times Magazine" assigned a free-lance writer
     to profile Gregorie, but a senior editor later killed the article.

     5. History repeats Itself
        [Guatemalan Blood on U.S. Hands.]
        [Sources:  "Guatemala Update," 2/90, "US Aid Said to Encourage 
         Rights Violation;"  "Guatemala Human Rights Commission/USA,"
         12/24/90, "U.S. Citizen Kidnapped and Tortured in Guatemala."]

       Continuing a pattern that the U.S. government seems determined to
     repeat again and again, the Bush administration has strengthened ties
     with the Guatemalan military at the same time that its human rights
     violations are rising sharply.
       According to a 1989 review by Human Rights Watch, current U.S. Army
     involvement in Guatemala includes the training of Guatemalan
     paratroopers by Green Berets and $90 million of "nonlethal" military
     aid.  Guatemala ranked tenth out of 90 countries in the amount of U.S.
     economic assistance received.
       The Guatemalan news agency, CERIGUA, has reported incidents of U.S.
     military participation in counter-insurgency operations and the
     Guatemala Human Rights Commission in the U S. has issued a detailed
     statement of the kidnapping and torture of Sister Diana Ortiz, an
     American citizen working as a teacher in Guatemala.  These incidents
     have been reported mainly in newsletters devoted to disseminating
     information about Guatemala and have generated little attention in the
     mainstream U.S. media.

     6. What radioactivity?
        [Radioactive Waste In the Neighborhood Landfill.]
        [Source:  "The Workbook," Apr/Jun 1989, "NIMBY, Nukewaste in My
         Backyard?" by Diana D'Arrigo and Lynda Taylor.]

       Faced with the difficulty of disposing of ever-increasing amounts of
     radioactive waste, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the
     Environmental Protection Agency and the nuclear industry are
     developing a plan to define away part of the problem.
       They propose to re-label as much as one-third of the material now
     considered "low-level" radioactive waste as "below regulatory concern"
     [BRC].  The waste material could then be dumped into ordinary
     landfills or recycled into consumer products.
       This scheme, reported by Diane D'Arrigo in the April/June 1989 issue
     of "The Workbook," a publication of the Southwest Research and
     Information Center in Albuquerque, would make disposal of the waste
     easier and cheaper, since it would not be subject to the regulations
     and extra fees required for the disposal of radioactive waste.
       But the material would remain radioactive for hundreds of years,
     posing a continuing health threat to any nearby living things--the
     NRC, the article charges, consistently underestimates the health
     threat posed by low-level radioactive material.
       The downgrading of some radioactive materials to "BRC" status would
     make it easier to deal with the expected increase in the amount of
     nuclear waste, resulting from the cleanup of contaminated weapons
     plants and the planned "decommissioning" of older nuclear power
     plants.
       The "Workbook" cites an NRC advisor, Dr. Martin Steindler, pointing
     out that the greatest danger of reclassification is that BRC is
     forever:  If the material is dumped as ordinary, not radioactive,
     waste, there will be no record of where it is.  Fires, leaks into
     ground water and other events could increase the health risks posed
     by nuclear wastes buried in some landfill somewhere--but no one
     would know it was there.  The reclassification would also take away
     state and local rights to keep the radioactive waste out of their
     territory.
       The NRC is expected to decide on whether to implement this plan
     sometime in 1990.

     7. Ollie North & Co.
        [Oliver North & Co. Banned from Costa Rica.]
        [Source:  "Extra!," Oct/Nov 1989, "Censored News: Oliver North &
         Co. Banned from Costa Rica."]

       Although the Kerry Commission's findings on the U.S.-Contra drug-
     trafficking link caused little outrage in the U.S. Congress, a Costa
     Rican congressional committee concluded that the contra-resupply
     network, operating in Costa Rica and coordinated by North from the
     White House, doubled as a drug smuggling operation.  That finding
     prompted Oscar Arias Sanchez to bar North and his gang--Poindexter,
     Secord, Joseph Fernandez and former U.S. Ambassador to Costa Rica,
     Lewis Tambs--from ever again setting foot in Costa Rica.
       The Associated Press reported this action in a lengthy press wire
     (7/22/90), but according to "Extra" (the Fairness and Accuracy In
     Reporting newsletter), the "New York Times" and all three national
     networks--perhaps following Congress's example of complacency--failed
     to carry the story.

     8. CBS-WSJ coverup
        [Wall Street Journal Censors Story of CBS Bias.]
        [Sources:  "Columbia Journalism Review," Jan/Feb 1990, "Mission
         Afghanistan," by Mary Williams Walsh;  "Defense Media Review,"
         3/31/90, "Wall Street Journal and CBS:  Case of Professional
         Courtesy?" by Sean Naylor;  "The Progressive," 5/90, Afghanistan:
         Holes in the coverage of a holy war," by Erwin Knoll.]

       Mary Williams Walsh, a respected journalist covering the Afghan war
     for the "Wall Street Journal", came face to face with media self-
     censorship when she wrote a story reporting that "CBS News" was
     broadcasting biased coverage of the Afghanistan war.  In a well-
     documented article submitted to her editors at the Journal, Walsh
     presented evidence that the CBS reporter-producer based in Peshawar
     was not an objective journalist, but a mujahideen partisan who favored
     one guerrilla commander and in effect "served as his publicist."  She
     also reported that the CBS correspondent tried to set up an arms deal
     between the guerrilla leader and a New Jersey arms manufacturer.
       Walsh went on to show that the correspondent influenced other
     journalists' reporting of the war by feeding them disinformation.  In
     a May l990 interview with "The Progressive", Walsh tells of secret
     meetings between editors at the "Wall Street Journal" and, Walsh
     believes, communications with "CBS News" which finally led to the
     Journal's decision to kill the story and her own decision to resign
     from the paper.  The "Columbia Journalism Review" offered to publish
     her story and Walsh accepted.  But the article that finally appeared,
     according to Walsh, changed the central point of her story:  "That
     'CBS News'...failed to provide truthful and comprehensive coverage of
     the Afghan war."

     9. Toxics in your tank
        [PCBs and Toxic Waste In Your Gasoline.]
        [Source:  "Common Cause Magazine," Jul/Aug 1989, "Toxic Fuel," by
         Andrew Porterfield.]

       It costs a lot--as much as $1,000 a drum--to get rid of toxic waste
     like PCBs and solvents legally.  So someone could make some money by
     taking these toxics off the hands of companies that need to get rid of
     them and hiding them someplace they weren't supposed to be--like your
     gas tank.
       In the July/August issue of "Common Cause" magazine, Andrew
     Porterfield revealed the otherwise unreported story that federal
     investigators had found an oil transport company in Buffalo, N.Y.
     operating just such a scheme.  Among other, similar cases, they found
     at least five million gallons of hazardous waste solvents in gasoline
     sold in Texas ("It was clogging up a lot of carburetors") and toxic
     wastes mixed with oil sold to refineries in Oklahoma.  In New York in
     1983, investigators found apartment houses, schools and hospitals that
     had unknowingly bought heating oil contaminated with toxic waste which
     produces toxic fumes like dioxin when burned.
       A bill currently in Congress would tighten federal policing of waste
     disposal in order to try to stop this practice.

     10. Big bad bird business
         [The Chicken Industry and the National Salmonella Epidemic.]
         [Source:  "Southern Exposure," Summer 1989, "Chicken Empires,"
          by Bob Hall, and "The Fox Guarding the Hen House," by Tom
          Devine.]

       If you're eating more poultry now because you figure it's healthier
     than red meat, think again.  More and more sick chicks are showing up
     in super-markets these days, contaminated with salmonella bacteria (in
     a quarter to more than half the chicken sold, according to various
     estimates) as a result of speedup in the chicken factories and
     simultaneous easing up of federal inspection (another gift to you from
     the Reagan administration).
       In the Summer 1989 issue of "Southern Exposure" magazine, Bob Hall
     and Tom Devine put together the big bird picture that hasn't been
     shown elsewhere in the media.  A huge growth in demand for chicken has
     spurred the development of Perdue, Holly Farms, Tyson and other giant
     chicken companies, which turn out chickens faster and faster by
     speeding up, not only the birds' life cycle, but also the factory
     production process, almost doubling the number of birds each worker
     processes each minute.  The increase in contaminated chicken, and a
     resulting national epidemic of food poisoning, are caused first by
     that processing speed.  Formerly, for example, chickens contaminated
     by feces or factory dirt were discarded--now they are washed together
     with all the other chickens, thus spreading the contamination through
     the washing liquid that has become known in the industry as "fecal
     soup."
       But where are the government inspectors to blow the whistle?  In the
     last ten years the U.S. Department of Agriculture has reduced their
     numbers, issued new, relaxed inspection guidelines, reprimanded
     inspectors who report health problems and suppressed written reports
     of contaminated meat illegally approved.  Now the department is even
     replacing inspectors with chicken company employees it authorizes to
     issue the USDA stamp of approval--not surprisingly, companies have
     fired some who took their job too seriously.
       This new chicken business has produced, not only sick chickens, but
     also sick and injured workers--the industry's rate of illness and
     injury is one of the highest in the country.  "Southern Exposure"
     reports that a 1987 expose on "60 Minutes" sparked some national
     coverage, but since then the issue has not been followed.  Meanwhile
     the USDA is asking for further reductions in inspections and increases
     in the speed of the chicken line.
 
#############################################################################

     The Project Censored "The Ten Best CENSORED Stories of 1989" also
     contains the following:

       A national panel of media experts selected the top ten "censored"
     stories of 1989 from a group of 25 submitted to them by researchers
     in a seminar in censorship at Sonoma State University.  The 25 stories
     were selected from 500 nominations.

                        OTHER CENSORED STORIES OF 1989
 
       The other 15 under-reported stories of 1989 were:

     11. How the Federal Emergency Management Agency Failed the Nation
     12. The Secret Pan Am 103 Report the Media Ignored
     13. The U.S. in Poisoning the Rest of the World with Banned Pesticides
     14. The U.S. Presence is Destroying the Environment in Central America
     15. Media Reliance On Conservative Sources Debunk Myth of Liberal Bias
     16. Faulty Computers Can Trigger World War III
     17. RICO and SLAPP Lawsuits Endanger Free Speech Rights
     18. NASA Lied To Get Plutonium Payload Into Space
     19. U.S. Congress Ignored Soviet Plea for Nuclear Test Ban
     20. The Oppression and Exploitation of Native Americans
     21. How the U.S. and the Media Propagandized the War on Drugs
     22. The Profitable Revolving Employment Door Between the EPA and the
         Polluters
     23. Sellafield:  The Largest Source of Radioactive Contamination in 
         the World
     24. The National Parks are in Serious Trouble
     25. The Plaintive Case for Animal Rights

                          WHAT IS PROJECT CENSORED?

       The primary objective of "Project Censored" is to explore and 
     publicize the extent of censorship in our society by locating stories
     about significant issues of which the public should be aware, but is
     not, for one reason or another.
       Thereby the project hopes to stimulate responsible journalists to
     provide more mass media coverage of those issues and to encourage the
     general public to demand mass media coverage of those issues or to
     seek information from other sources.
       The essential issue raised by the project in the failure of the mass
     media to provide the people with all the information they need to make
     informed decisions concerning their own lives and in the voting booth. 
       "Project Censored," an annual nationwide media research project, was
     created in 1976 by Dr. Carl Jensen, Professor of Communications 
     Studies, for a seminar in mass media at Sonoma State University.
       Sonoma State University, one of the 20 California State Universities,
     is a small bu innovative liberal arts and sciences institution located
     50 miles north of San Francisco.  The Communication Studies Department
     provides students with a critical as well as practical perspective of
     the mass media.  It offers a B.A. degree in Communication Studies and
     a Certificate Program in Jouranlism.

                     DO YOU KNOW OF ANY CENSORED STORIES?

       You can help the public learn more about what is happening in its
     society by nominating stories you feel should have received more 
     coverage by the mass media.  The story should be current and of 
     national social significance.  It may have received no media attention
     at all, appeared in the back pages of your newspaper, or in a small 
     circulation magazine.  To nominate a "best censored story of 1990,"
     just send us a copy of the story including the source and date.  The
     deadline is November 1, 1990.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

                            Carl Jensen, Ph.D.
                                Director
                             Project Censored 
                          Sonoma State University 
                       Rohnert Park, California 94928 
                              707/644-2149

--
                                             daveus rattus   

                                   yer friendly neighborhood ratman

                              KOYAANISQATSI

   ko.yan.nis.qatsi (from the Hopi Language)  n.  1. crazy life.  2. life
     in turmoil.  3. life out of balance.  4. life disintegrating.  
     5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.