Subject: Love&Rage_6/93-2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 14:52:16 EDT

Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

                          LOVE AND RAGE
                Revolutionary Anarachist Newspaper
                        Electronic Edition

                        Volume 4, Number 3
                         June/July, 1993

                           Part 2 of 3

                     INTERVIEW WITH THE GOATS
                          By Bilal Nine

On Feb 19, The Goats dropped their fat lyrics of dissension on
Houston. After rippin' it up on stage, I got a chance to kick it
with them.

The Goats' debut album, Tricks of Shade, is fat with a unique
flavor that blends streetwise political perspective, humor and a
wild in-your-face style. Add to that -- a 12-part story on the
album about Chicken Little, an Afrikan youth's saga through Uncle
Scam's House O' Freaks looking for his mother who was captured by
anti-choicers -- and you get hip-hop like it's never been done
before.

Bilal Nine: One thing I've noticed about The Goats is that your
political perspective seems a little more radical in respect to a
wider, all-embracing approach politically.  Other hip-hop crews
may come from a nationalist point of view, or some might be from
that moderate liberal tip.

Madd: There's more to just bein' a Black male, because there's
more going on than just the crimes against my people. Looking at
the problems of my people has helped me to see the problems that
the Native Americans and Latino Americans face. We all got to pull
together. But I'm down with Public Enemy, who's pretty much Black
nationalist, and Professor X from X-Clan.

Bilal Nine: KRS One [of the band Boogie Down Productions] was out
here last week to give a lecture and I was able to kick it with
him on a couple of questions -- one being his appearance on a PBS
set on election night.  The host of PBS' election coverage asked
KRS what he thought about the youth involvement in the election.
KRS, to me, looked like he wanted to say, "fuck an election." But
instead he just said that the youth should look back at history
and they could see for themselves where voting can get them. My
question to y'all is how'd you see the Rock The Vote campaign?

Madd: You're lucky OaTie ain't here right now, cuz he'd be yelling
at the top of his lungs right now. Fuck Rock The Vote, man. When
was the last time a vote has done anything for anybody? The Civil
Right's Movement, the Women's Suffrage Movement, the ERA, the
Labor Movement. You gotta revolt. Ain't nothing gonna change
through voting. My grandparents died for the right that I have to
vote. I used it, and I think you should vote, but that's not all
you should do.

Mark Boyce: LA Riots is the perfect example of what you gotta do.

Madd: So we voted for Clinton, and nothing's gonna happen, which
is what they want you to do. Lower you into complacency.

Boyce: He [Clinton] is going to give us the same shit that's been
around for 15 years.

Question from the room: What do you think about Tipper Gore now
that she's in the White House?

Boyce: She can only help us.

Madd: I don't think things are gonna get worse or better.  Things
are gonna stay where they're at right now. Do we trust Clinton?
Not as far as we can throw him, and believe me, our next record
will be totally devoted to dissin' Clinton.

Bilal Nine: I saw at the bottom of y'all's lyric sheet labeled
"Moral" and it says don't vote for fascists. He [Clinton] is in
the list along with Reagan and Bush.

Madd: If I think my next door neighbor could do a better job, then
it's a democracy, but when I gotta pick between two middle- aged,
white male descendants of slave owners, I'm pissed.

OaTie: [Just entering the room] You must be talking about
presidents of the United States cuz that's the only group around
that fits that description.

Bilal Nine: What inspired you brothers to do the "Leonard Peltier
in a Cage" skit on the album?

OaTie: Well, there's all kinds of oppression -- racism, sexism,
gay bashing -- but what's the worst oppression of all time?
Columbus didn't take Native Americans to be slaves. We didn't move
them around. We killed them off the land they were living on. So
the greatest crime against a people was not done by Hitler or
anyone else, but by the US in the name of Manifest Destiny. And it
went on until 100 years after Wounded Knee. A coalition was formed
of Native Americans to retake Wounded Knee; Leonard Peltier was
with them. Couple of years later, America deployed FBI invasions
of people's homes.  Two FBI agents were shot. No one knows who
shot them, but they took the most active person around, and it was
Leonard Peltier.

Bilal Nine: When you guys were about to drop "?Do the Digs Dug?"
and you were talkin' about Leonard, the audience seemed a little
lost.

OaTie: When I first heard about him, I was in Europe.  The people
out there know what time it is, but here, 40 people know what's
up, or do they just read fuckin' daily news and the other schlock
out there? We try to center on one thing when we're doing a show.
I hate it when people get up there and hit you with everything at
once and you still leave thinking nothin'. Tonight we talked about
military defense spending because he [Clinton] just put out his
budget on Oct 12, which was the 500th anniversary of Columbus. We
were talkin' Columbus and Leonard Peltier every show. People just
need to ask questions and dig.

Bilal Nine: I noticed in the "Props" section [on the album's liner
notes] that Emma Goldman is listed. I'll play this Emma Goldman
sound bite on my show [Street Vibe Network] every now and then.
I'm playing this to a hip-hop crowd and people call in asking "Who
is Emma Goldman?"

OaTie: Emma Goldman has always been a hero of mine; she lived
around the turn of the century. She spoke out, against getting
married, a woman's right to abortion, for total independence for
the female, but also a labor leader.  She led people to revolt
against bad labor conditions. She died in the Soviet Union. She
was a communist. I'm not -- that's the only difference between us.

Bilal Nine: Well, not to be a smart-ass, but at that period in her
life she went over to anarchism.*

OaTie: Well, if you look at the government that existed there, I
can see why. Actually, I'd like to see an anarchist party, as
obnoxious as that sounds.

There are two types of women you can talk about in rap songs: Ho's
and B's or women like Emma Goldman ...  and we don't diss women.

--From Black Fist Vol 1 No 2

* [Not to be even smarter-asses, but Emma Goldman was always an
anarchist -- The Production Group]

                               -30-

                    TAP INTO ELECTRONIC MEDIA

                        By Kathleen Kelly
              (with Liz Highleyman and Todd Prane) 

Freedom of the press belongs to the person who owns one. If you
have access to a computer and modem, you already have at your
fingertips the power of your own international press. You can tap
into a worldwide electronic network that links people across the
globe.  This network, loosely called the Internet, is nothing more
than a voluntary web of people who have computers and telephone
lines. It includes more than 9,000 interlocking computer systems,
many based in universities and accessible through free student
accounts. Internet can be accessed in more than a hundred
countries and reaches an estimated 10-15 million people of all
sorts (activists, researchers, educators, policy makers,
scientists, students, etc). Network traffic is currently growing
at a phenomenal 10 percent each month. 

Through Internet you can: send and receive electronic mail
(e-mail), transfer large files, distribute and receive news and
information, and access other computer databanks and resources
from your computer. Electronic communications systems are a very
valuable political and strategic tool for activists. In a crisis,
press releases and appeals for political action can be flashed to
hundreds of systems rapidly. News travels very fast indeed on the
Internet. 

This widely dispersed, decentralized, difficult-to-control medium
would be extremely hard for the government to shut down
completely, without turning off every phone in the country. One or
two systems can be watched and controlled, and some alternative
news systems can be turned off completely, but anyone with a
laptop computer, a modem and a pay phone can still make one phone
call, send a message, and within half a day it will be distributed
worldwide on the Internet. For high-security messages, good
encoding programs are available. Best of all, its cheap and it
promotes free information exchange. You can easily reach a hundred
thousand people for a fraction of what it would cost to print
10,000 copies of the same information. You can also target your
message to a specific readership. 

Messages have a ripple effect, because every person who reads an
article online might redistribute it to dozens of others who don't
have Internet access. Electronic news is routinely reprinted in
community newspapers, activist newsletters and local electronic
bulletin board systems.  E-mail provides an excellent opportunity
for collectively making decisions among geographically dispersed
groups, such as the Love and Rage Network. It is an effective way
to get the word out about continental gatherings and actions, such
as the recent Queer march in DC. For publications, articles can be
submitted quickly and typeset easily. Authors can review suggested
edits. Efforts have been ongoing to get as many Love and Rage
participants online as possible. 

Television and radio are largely monopolized by the corporate
media. Few independent newspapers exist, and printed activist
newsletters reach only a small number of people. But the
electronic networks still belong to the people, and activists can
harness this power to reach large audiences for about $10 a month
in most places. A wide array of low-cost electronic networks, news
distribution services, and databanks are easily accessible. 

The Whole Internet Users Guide & Catalog, by Ed Krol is a valuable
resource book (available for $24.95 from O'Reilly & Associates:
reachable on the Internet as [email-masked]).  Krol clearly explains
the net's main functions, offers details on timesaving programs
for finding Internet resources, and gives complete telephone
numbers, addresses, and e-mail access information. Another
excellent book is EcoLinking: Everyone's Guide to Online
Environmental Information, by Don Ritter (available for $24.95
from PeachPit Press, 2414 Sixth St, Berkeley, CA 94710, Fax (510)
548-4393). It combines technical guidance with annotated listings
of useful information sources. This book also covers public PC
bulletin boards, including those on the public FidoNet network, an
international network of more than 10,000 hobbyist computer
systems, many of which are free. 

For more information, contact New York Transfer News Collective, a
non-profit news distribution service that's been helping activists
get online for eight years. Contact Kathleen Kelly at:

NY Transfer News Collective
Modem (718) 448-2358 
Fax (718) 448-3423
Email: [email-masked]

                       ELECTRONIC RESOURCES

Here is a quick, descriptive list of some names and numbers of
where and how to get online. 

The first thing you need is a computer with a modem. A used IBM PC
compatable (from the early 1980s) with a cheap modem will do.
Cost: about $300 or so for the computer, $60 or so for the modem.

Next, nationally: Most cities have public access bulletin boards
run by enterprising individuals, many of whom offer either
Internet or FidoNet access, and USENET newsgroups (conferences or
forums on specific subjects).  Contact members of local
users-groups or visit computer stores to find out more. Access,
price and services depend entirely on the city, the computer and
so on. Any college or university should have accounts (often free)
available to students (and their friends).  All systems listed
here have e-mail. Most have USENET and are listed by city: system
name, phone number -- most accesed via a modem set at 2400 no
parity 8 data bits 1 stop bit -- price, and e-mail address for
info). 

Canada, US and Mexico: IGC (Peacenet, among others):
[email-masked] or call (voice) (415) 442-0220.  Accounts are
$10/month plus usage. National access through Sprintnet for $5/hr
off peak, $10/hr peak. Costs add up quickly and most of the users
are intolerably Liberal, but it is cheaper and less evil than
Compuserve et al. Some good info in the conferences. 

San Francisco: The Well (Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link):
[email-masked] (no number avail right now, sorry). Low cost
e-mail system. A similar system has been started recently in the
New York Area including a wimmin-only conference. 

New York: Panix. Dial in at (212) 787- 2100 or (212)787-3100 and
log-in as newuser. $10/mo e-mail and unlimited access and storage
time. [email-masked] or [email-masked]. Voice: Jim Baumbach at
(212) 603-3572

Boston: The World. Call (voice) (617) 739-0202 or dial up (617)
739-9753 and log-in as new. $20/month for 20 hours access time and
2MB of online storage. Extra usage at $2/hr. [email-masked].

Chicago: 
 --DDSWL (312) 248-0900. $75/yr or $10 month. [email-masked]
 --Gagme (312) 282- 8606. $50/yr (student $35). [email-masked].
 --Chinet (312) 283-0559. BBS free, USENET $50/yr 
                     (free to guests on weekends).

Ann Arbor: Grex (313) 761-3000. $6/month or $60/[email-masked].
Madison: Madnix (608) 273-2657. Free. [email-masked].
Orlando: JWT (407) 438-7138. Free. Initial login "bbs". [email-masked].

Columbia, MO: COIN (314) 884-7000 or telnet to 128.206.1.3. Free
(limit one hour per visit). Voice: Help desk at Daniel Boone
Regional Library (314) 443-3161, ext. 302.

Sorry this list is so short and mostly East coast/Midwest.
Cheap/free stuff is available all over the US and in Canada (IGC
is available from Mixico-write for info).  For a complete listing
of public access e-mail, or for e-mail in your city, call or write
to Todd at Love and Rage (info page 2).

Once you are online, please write to us to find out more about
alternative news, information, and so on available over the net.
Addresses of other activists online are also available. Contact:
[email-masked], [email-masked], or [email-masked] for
more info.
                               -30-

                         WAGE SLAVE RAGE
                          By Matt Teeter

Wendy's Old Fashioned slave trade is where I work. Like all
fast-food-workers, I have many masters. Like any assembly
line-worker, beepers, buzzers and timers rule my existence. The
fries are done; the potatoes are baked; the orders are on the
screen. Someone flips the burgers, passes the meat on to the
sandwich- maker, who passes the product on to the server, who
passes it on to the customer, who pays an exorbitant amount for
grease to clog up her arteries. There are no speed-ups only
slow-downs; fast- food is never fast enough. We had soda machines
that filled a 32 ounce cup in eight seconds; they were upscaled
with super-nozzles. Now we can fill 32 ounces in four seconds. Now
that's progress!

As might be imagined, between living on low-wages, customers
yelling, managers yelling, beepers buzzing, buzzers beeping -- the
pressure can be immense. Of course all fast food-workers know who
to blame ... each other of course.

That's not to say Wendy's workers don't know fat pig Dave Thomas
is getting rich off their labor, but they simply know that the fat
pig isn't around to be hurt directly. You have to make due with
who's around.

I've mentioned union to a few people here. The first thing they
say is, "But then you have to pay union dues." I tell them there
are unions that have low dues, such as $3 a month. They usually
just shrug; nobody intends on staying here.

I've never met anyone who likes working fast-food. If being
regulated by machines is hell, then managers are the devil. Like
the cops, there is the bad manager and the good manager: the one
will berate you, then the other will sweet talk you into working
on your day off.  However, never, never is there a shred of
over-time pay for people who'd be glad to work on their day off.

The Wendy's I work at makes approximately $25,000 a week. Perhaps
labor costs are $5,000 a week, including the managers' salaries.
There's no question that the purpose of the business is to earn
money; it's just a matter of for whom.  

Against this sort of background, fast-food-workers all have one
thing in common: they steal ... everything from grill knobs to
french fries to one guy who backs his car up to the freezer to
take boxes of breaded chicken. I steal everything from individual
mustard packets to five-pound bags of cheese; anything just to
steal a little, just a little back.

Some days it's easy to just go into work and -- despite the grease
film on my skin, the smell of my clothes, the blood on my hands
from raw meat -- I can just dream work away, think of quitting
day. However, I have to live with myself and ask myself why I am
a "Wobbly" (an [Industrial] Workers of the World member). Action
talks; bullshit walks.

I don't have anyone to worry about but myself. However, there are
people who are trying to feed families; people who work two jobs
just to pay some pigdog of a landlord. As corporations flee to
non-union lands, people are forced into the non-union service
industry, but fast-food is just another factory. Wobblies have
always organized factories that other unions wouldn't touch. Big
unions can't organize fast-food-workers, but we can.  Dave Thomas,
Ray Kroc -- these motherfuckers are gonna burn!

--From Lehigh Valley IWW Branch Bulletin April 1993

                               -30-

                        KILLING THE PLANET

ECUADOR--Oil companies vs Natives. The big push is now under way
to extract the $30 billion worth of crude oil which lies two miles
beneath the Ecuadorian Orient -- the Amazon region of Ecuador,
that is one of the most biologically diverse areas on the planet.
Within the next year or two, a network of 250 miles of roads will
be plowed through the rainforest, pipelines will be put into
place, and the crude oil will begin to flow.  An area of more than
7 million acres of rainforest will be subjected to oil and
chemical spills.  Among the companies involved are American
multinationals Maxus, Oryx, ARCO, and Occidental; the French
company Elf Aquitaine; Braspetro of Brazil and others.  

SIBERIA--Russian officials have confirmed that plutonium salts
were among the radioactive materials blasted into the atmosphere
when a nuclear fuel reprocessing installation in Western Siberia
exploded on April 6. An area of at least 35 square kilometers of
forest has been rendered uninhabitable -- effectively forever. The
explosion occurred 28 km north-west of the large industrial city
of Tomsk in an outlying plant of the Siberian Chemical Combine.
The combine is centered in the town known as Tomsk-7. Founded in
the late 1940s as one of three major centers of the Soviet nuclear
weapons manufacturing program, Tomsk-7 remains closed to
foreigners, and during the Soviet era was so secret that despite
having a population of more than 100,000, it was not marked on
maps.  

According to the Russian Greenpeace organization, the plant at
which the explosion occurred uses nitric acid to dissolve spent
fuel rods from nuclear reactors, in order to extract Uranium-238
and Plutonium-239 for recycling. A preliminary report issued on
April 9 by the State Nuclear Supervisory Committee attributed the
cause of the accident to negligence by plant personnel. Even tiny
particles of plutonium dust, if they lodge in the lungs, create a
high risk of cancer. Unlike many of the radioactive products of
nuclear reactions, plutonium does not decay into harmlessness
within a few weeks or months; its half-life is 24,000 years.

--From Mikhail Tsovma 109462 CIS, Russia, Moscow Volzhsky Blvd
21-62 Tel (095) 921-06-55 email [email-masked] 

                               -30-

SCENE REPORTS

Chicago: da windy city 

The Baklava Autonomist Collective has an organized itself around
several projects over the last year. We are focusing on building a
strong, attractive and viable local community and continuing our
role as troublemakers. The focus on community-building is
expressed through our local projects: 1 COLLECTIVE CHAOS: record
label for DIY politically charged music, twice (or more) monthly
benefit hardcore/punk shows, and distribution of literature,
music, and info; 2 ABC: We've adopted of anti-authoritarian
political prisoner Larry Giddings, and decided to also support
several local political prisoners. Also, several actions around
various prisoners have taken place and were well received; 3 WIND
CHILL FACTOR -- Soon to be a bi-monthly newsprinted magazine.
Yeah, we're punk. A thirty two page, 8 1/2 x 11 format, hopefully
out in May. Print run 5,000. Watch out L&R! Also, the drive to
squat is pushing us toward acquiring some property. If people are
coming through Chicago, call the CHICAGO AUTONOMIST HOTLINE at
(312) 455-0707 to network with us.

Hello from Baltimore

Anarchist activity in Baltimore has been increasing of late. Earth
Core distribution has just become a Love and Rage supporting
group. Earth Core is a small anarchist collective that circulates
literature, music and publications with an anti-authoritarian
focus. There has been a recent increase in racist activity in
Baltimore, and we would like to form a Baltimore ARA and could use
help. The BAC (Baltimore Anarchist Collective) is a local
youth-oriented group which holds meetings every other week.

Activities include distributing and publishing a zine and booking
shows. Send us submissions for our zine. We are also interested in
forming a womyn-only anarchist group.  Other groups, including ARM
(Anarchist Revival Movement) and AYC (Angry Youth Collective)
would like to become more active and expand. 

For more information about any of this please contact BAC at: PO
Box 18956. Baltimore MD 21206

Paterson, NJ

The Paterson Anarchist Collective, one of the nine groups that
makes up the North Jersey Anarchist Federation, continues the
struggle to organize in the streets of Paterson. We have opened
the Right to Existence, anarchist bookstore/community
space/hangout. We hold forums and political video nights there. We
have also printed and distributed the first issue of Plain Words
which contains the second issue of Copwatch. Plain Words features
local news from an anarchist viewpoint and national and
international anarchist news. Copwatch covers the local police
terror. To find out more about these papers, Anarchist Black Cross
or other NJAF groups contact us at:PAC POB 8532 Haledon, NJ
07508-8532

                               -30-

                         NOTES OF REVOLT

KEEPING THE PEACE

Ottawa--On March 16 and 17 around 300 protesters turned out to
protest Canada's largest weapons trade show, ARMX, being held at
the Ottawa Congress Center.  The show, entitled "Peacekeeping '93"
in an attempt to defuse resistance, featured such equipment as
armor-piercing grenade-launchers, aircraft-mounted cannons, and
tanks. Several anarchists formed a loose alliance at the actions.
The actions included successful blockage of the streets and doors
to the trade show, occupation of the Westin Hotel where many of
the patrons of the event were staying, and the spreading of fake
blood on the walls of the convention center. In addition at least
two anarchist got inside the show and collected brochures, took
photos, appropriated supplies, and reworked the plumbing using
toilet tissue, menstrual pads, and tampons. 

YOUTH UNDER ATTACK

Pequanock, NJ--In early march, the administration of Pequanock
High School in New Jersey imposed a number of repressive and
ridiculous rules in response to student vandalism. A NJAYF (New
Jersey Anarchist Youth Federation) member made and distributed a
flyer to protest this which denounced the actions of the
administration and reprinted "School Stoppers Guide" and "What
Education?" from Love and Rage, Vol 3 No 7. In response, the
school staff began to round up students demanding to know the
connection between the vandalism,the flier, and the "anarchist
terrorist organization" that was responsible for the two.  --from
Jersey Anarchist No 8

POLICE VAN A SIZZLER

Victoria, BC--The grill of the Fairfield community police
station's mini-van went up in flames Friday, Mar 5, after vandals
lit the contents of an aerosol can. About $2,000 in damage was
done to the van which had been parked in front of the police
station on Fairfield Road.This comes with a recent surge of
activity in Victoria. In mid- December several new cars at a GM
dealership were attacked (claimed by an anarchist group). On Dec
25 a McDonalds was attacked by the ALF. Then on Jan 1, a butchers
shop was also attacked by the ALF. Although no known communiques
have been received about the police van action, this seems to be
the first use of fire.  Complacent Victoria is heating up!  --from
Autonomedia

COP KILLERS

California--Cops in California are complaining of "people taking
shots at you just because you're wearing a blue uniform." In
Salinas, in response to a police murder in January, groups
confronted police with rocks, bottles and random shots. Also, in
response to the Rodney King verdict, graffiti began appearing
throughout South LA, saying things like "Kill Cops." 

DAY OF ACTION FOR HAITIANS

On Monday, April 19, people around the US participated in a day of
action protesting US policy toward Haitian refugees. In New York
City, protesters occupied the Statue of Liberty, ACT UP invaded a
local congressperson's office, and others marched outside the
Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) offices. In Miami,
demonstrators rallied at the INS offices. In Boston, protesters
leafletted the Boston Marathon and rallied at the finish line. In
Philadelphia, ACT UP organized an encampment outside the INS
offices which lasted through the night Demonstrations were also
held in Seattle, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and at UC Berkeley.

                               -30-

LIBERATION RADIO

Springfield, Ill--Mbanna Kantako is blind, Black, broke and on the
verge of creating a Media revolution in America. Black Liberation
Radio operates on a one-watt transmitter the size of a toaster,
with a broadcast range of only one mile. The six-year-old station
has been in flagrant violation of a federal court order to cease
broadcasting for the past two and a half years. The "Micro-Radio"
model is cheap (about $800), easily replicated and was designed to
be used to empower low-income people in neighborhoods across the
country.

TAMAYO, DOMINICAN REP -- Meanwhile, in the Dominican Republic,
Radio Enriquillo was ordered to cease broadcasting uncensored
Haitian news in Creole. They evaded the orders by singing the
news, accompanied by a guitar and bongos. They have since
completely ceased the Haitian news program due to threats and
intimidation against workers at the station.

You can contact the stations: 

 Black Liberation Radio, c/o 333 N 12 st Springfield, IL 62702
 Radio Enriquillo, Apartado 99 Tamayo, Dominican Republic
 
 --from New Liberation News Service and Interadio

                               -30-

NYC SQUATTERS

New York -- Six demonstrators protesting the destruction of a
shantytown in w York's Lower East Side were arrested on Feb 20
following an hour-long metal jam at the site. Some 50 squatters
and anarchists met at the vacant city-owned lot on 9th Street and
Avenue C where they pounded drums and scrap metal and built a
bonfire of wooden police barricades. Earlier in the week police
and bulldozers had moved in to demolish the shantytown that had
been home for 21 people. The demonstrators were particularly upset
over the report that two of the shantytown residents had been
committed to Bellevue Hospital. (They were later released.) The
City plans to build a new station for the PSA-9 Housing Police and
56 units of so-called low-income housing.
  -- From Black and Red, May/June 93

                       BILL NEEDS YOUR HELP

DETROIT -- Bill, a Detroit community member and activist of
several years, needs medical treatment as the result of fighting
back against Queer-bashers.

In mid-April outside the 404 Willis anarchist community center,
group of wimmim were being verbally harasses by a gang of
well-known misogynists and Queer-bashers.  When these wimmin
confronted their aggressors, several of the wimmin were physically
attacked. People on the scene joined forces and successfully
chased the gang away. But in the process, Bill was cornered and
bashed in the head with a baseball bat.

Bill has already lost eight teeth, has a broken jaw and may loose
his lower lip to infection. He cannot cover the costs for even
minimal medical care. He has been unable to work due to his
injuries. He has no medical insurance. To fully restore his mouth
and jaw he will need surgery which will cost $12,000. Please help
raise the money needed. Bill supports Queer-rights with more than
just words. We should support him. Please give generously.

Send donations to: 

                          Care For Bill
                  c/o SRN Wayne State University
                     5221 Gullen Mall, Box 99
                     Student Center Building
                        Detroit, MI 48202
        Make Checks Payable to: Student Resistance Network

                               -30-

                            @ ARCHIVES

The Anarchist Archives Project has been collecting materials on
the history of Anarchism since 1982 and has gathered over 7,000
items. The project provides research assistance and low cost
photocopying of most material in the collection. To find out more
write: PO Box 1323, Cambridge MA 02238

                               -30-

                             CALENDAR
June 27 -- July 4
EF! Rendezvous Mt. Graham, AZ 
Contact: AZ EF!, PO Box 3412 Tucson, AZ 85722

July 7--11 
Love and Rage Annual Conference San Diego, CA
Contact: SD @ Federation c/o 915 E St, San Diego, CA 92101
Darren (619) 9-8722

July 16--19
Holiday in Beirut, USA 
@ Gathering, Portland, OR
Contact: Rosebud Commons, 1951 W. Burnside,
         Box 1928, Portland, OR 97209

July 29 -- August 1
The Frenzy @ Conference, Vancouver, BC 
Contact: Box122, 1895 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC V5N 4A6

July  -- Aug 2 
Mid-Atlantic @ Gathering Contact: Wooden Shoe Books 215-569-2477 

August 8
Under the Volcano Political Arts Festival (Bands & Artists)
Vancouver, BC 
Contact: Box 21552, 1850 Commercial DrVancouver, BC V5N 4A0 
Tel/Fax (604) 255-2787

Sometime Soon:

Midwest @ Gathering 
Contact: Practical Anarchy, PO Box 173, Madison, WI 53701 

National Organizing Summit Against Police Brutality 
Contact: Dave (313) 865-2748

                               -30-

ABC SECTION

               SPANISH POLITICAL PRISONERS TORTURED

                          By Paul Wright
          [Edited by the Love and Rage Production Group]

Spain has a large and active communist and anarchist left and
labor movement. It also has several nationalities struggling for
independence from the central government.

The result of these struggles is that Spain has over 700 political
prisoners (pp's). The majority, over 600, are affiliated with the
Basque independence struggle. The next largest group, about 55
pp's, are members of the PCE(r) (Communist Party of Spain,
reconstituted) and GRAPO (Anti-Fascist Resistance Groups, First of
October). The remainder are anarchists, labor activists and
nationalists from the other liberation struggles being waged
against the Spanish central government. 

Like all capitalist countries, the treatment of pp's in Spain
ranges from bad to barbaric. The last several months have seen a
general crackdown on leftist and nationalist activists and groups.
This includes the arrest of three members of AFAPP, an
organization that supports the human rights of political prisoners
in Spain. The family members arrested were accused of being
members of the PCE(r). The "evidence" against them consists of
address books and copies of the PCE(r)'s clandestine magazine. 

After a shootout between Spanish police and a GRAPO commando, in
which some members of the commando escaped, Spanish police
arrested Elvira Dieguez and Laureano Ortega. They were accused of
"membership in an armed band." Dieguez had been released from
prison in 1989 after serving 12 years for GRAPO activities. At her
court appearance Dieguez showed obvious signs of torture and
described the torture she had undergone at the hands of the
Spanish police. 

She states she was hooded with a plastic bag and blindfolded for
much of her ordeal. Her clothes were forcibly ripped off her body
and she was beaten. Her ordeal lasted for roughly five days and
she was tortured in the cities of Santander and Madrid. In Madrid,
naked and in cold cells, she was beaten some more. Her body was
wetted down and she was shocked with cattleprods, and the soles of
her feet were beaten, and she was raped with a broomstick. 

Throughout the experience she was being insulted and screamed at
by Spanish police officials. 

At his court appearance, Ortega described a similar experience,
except he was not raped. Their lawyer, Francisca Villalba,
vigorously denounced the torture and called a police doctor as a
witness. The doctor testified that the prisoners injuries were
consistent with their testimony of being tortured. 

Despite the torture, neither Dieguez nor Ortega made any
incriminating statements and both were freed by the Spanish court
that handles political cases for a lack of evidence. The judge
said he would give further consideration as to what he would do
about the prisoners being tortured. If past experience is any
guide, nothing will be done. Torture of political dissidents in
Spain, England, France, Turkey and other NATO countries is well
documented. Some countries, including Spain and England, operate
military and paramilitary death squads that routinely kill
political dissidents. Again, nothing is done. 

The most startling thing about these events is the deafening
silence from the so-called human rights community. Where are the
denunciations of the Spanish government for their arrest and
torture of political dissidents? Some groups like Amnesty
International claim to oppose the torture of all prisoners,
regardless of political views. Yet when communists are being raped
and tortured in "democracies" nothing is said and less is
done.--From Prison Legal News, May 1993

                               -30-

NORMA JEAN CROY

Norma Jean Croy is a Native American woman from the Shasta Nation,
in Northern California, who has spent the last 14 years in prison
for a murder she did not commit. 

In Yreka county, July of 1978, Norma Jean Croy, her brother
Patrick Hooty Croy and three other relatives stopped at a
convenience store before going hunting outside of town. The store
clerk accused them of theft.  Soon after, Yreka police chased
their car as they headed out of town. When the car stopped, Norma
and her companions ran away. Police fired, hitting Norma in the
back. Norma's cousin Darrell was also shot as he stood up to
surrender. Hooty was shot in the back twice before he turned
around and fired one shot from the .22 hunting rifle, which
fatally struck the officer. 

Norma and her four companions were charged with first degree
murder of the police officer and related offenses.  Norma and
Hooty were convicted on all counts, even though there was no
evidence that Norma fired any weapon. Hooty was sentenced to
death; Norma life in prison.

The California Supreme Court reversed Hooty's conviction in 1985.
Norma's appeal was denied by a lower appellate court. Hooty was
retried in San Francisco in 1990, and was acquitted of all charges
on the grounds of self defense. As of 1992, Norma was denied
parole for the fifth time. The parole board refuses to hear
evidence of her innocence that had been presented at Hooty's
retrial.

To get involved contact: 
Norma Jean Croy Defense Committee 
473 Jackson Street 3rd Floor 
San Francisco, CA 94111

Norma Jean Croy
CCWF #14293 
PO Box 1508
Chowchilla, CA 93610

                               -30-

JONATHAN PAUL FREE!

On the morning of April 9, after 158 days of captivity,
environmental and animal liberation activist Jonathan Paul was
freed! In Nov of 1992 he was arrested for refusing to testify at a
Federal Grand Jury hearing in Spokane Washington. The feds were
(and are) investigating the activities of the Animal Liberation
Front. 

While Jonathan is free, another person involved in the case was
arrested. In April, journalist Rik Scarce was held in contempt of
court. He was immediately released on his own recognizance,
pending appeal. In March he refused to answer 32 questions in
front of a Grand Jury who was investigating the Aug 1991 ALF
break- in at Washington State University. In April, he refused to
answer three more questions. On each question, Scarce refused to
answer on First Amendment "free press grounds", because answering
would violate the American Sociological Association Code of
Ethics. He was arrested on May 14. You can show your support by
writing to Acting US Attorney to demand his release. 

East District of Washington
POB 1494 Spokane WA 99210 

Write directly to Rik at W 1100 Mallon Spokane WA. 99260 

                               -30-

ANARCHIST INSTITUTIONALIZED 

James Peper, anarchist protester, has been sent to Atascadero
State Hospital for the Insane for "evaluation" after being held in
jail for five months awaiting trial. He could be held at the
hospital for up to three years before seeing a judge again for
sentencing! Peper was arrested during the anti-Columbus Day Black
Bloc in San Francisco last October. He is charged with numerous
felonies relating to firebombs. Show your support by writing and
calling him, and sending donations for his legal defense.  

Write to: James Peper, PO Box 7001, 
          Alascader CA 99429-7001 (805)461-2000

James Peper Legal Defense Fund 
C/O Slingshot 
UCB 200 Eshelman Hall
Berkeley CA 94702 

                               -30-

PORTLAND KNOWS THEIR ABCs

Prison support became our first project at Rosebud Commons; a
major unifying factor for us so early in our development. As a
Resource collective, we try to solve every problem presented to us
in the best way we know; by collective effort. 

The need for prisoner support came in January when three of our
collaborators were guests of the "Nine Bar Hotel." One womyn was
serving a ten day sentence for polishing a cop's badge with
spittle. The other two were nailed for old warrants. One got time
served for the heinous crime of stealing a pair of socks. Our
other comrade, a womyn in her early 20s facing extradition and a
possible four year sentence (even though she had no priors), not
that that makes a difference to the "Blue Meanies." Hey, equal
justice for all.

This was when we really pulled together and our methods varied
with time. The jail where our comrade was being detained had an
internal mailing system consisting of horrible, phosphorescent,
pink slips. We created a constant flood of Inmate Memo Forms. Most
escaped the mark of the censor.

Our compadre was able to pin-point a visual rendezvous sight for
us. It was a clear shot of vision for both parties.  From a
parking lot roof, we were able to see our friend in her cell and
try to comfort her with visual aids. Some asshole spray-painted
FUCK THE POLICE and one of those @ things. Some people.. Our
comrade was later to tell us that much to her delight, she watched
the maintenance people try to remove it from the wall, with no
luck. Her response to them failing was, "you can't get rid of us
that easily." The spray paint was later sandblasted off.

Others tried various forms of entertainment. Most consisted of
Autonomous Acrobats & The Flying Sam Beanies. Street theater-style
pantomime consisted of acrobatic formations of the circle A. An
inconspicuous black flag was also tied to the parking structure.
The peak of the theatrical season happened when, one night, a US
battle flag got the roast. Just as it settled to the ground in a
flaming, plastic glory, the rent-a-pigs took chase. The jail went
wild. Prisoners who were also enjoying the show started yelling
and shouting at the security guards. Things like, "You ain't never
gonna catch them!"

Needless to say, most people chose to close the Season early. We
focused in on the more traditional ways of prisoner support. 

There is the ever present need of money when dealing with the
prison system. Prisoners need money on the inside for basic
materials, ie stamps and envelopes.  Money is needed for lawyers
and media exposure. In most cases, the family can use the support,
financially as well as emotionally. 

Also, keep a constant check on how the prisoner is doing.  And
what the "system thugs" are doing. Make sure the meal
requirements, ie. vegi meals, are dealt with as soon as possible
(even in the case of a hunger strike). This can take time, seeing
as how they want proof that you don't eat flesh. Interestingly
enough, this time we had to go through the prison chaplin for his
dietary blessings. 

Court support is more a form of solidarity than anything else.
Just to physically be in the court for all cases is great. The
court room will sometimes be the only place you'll get to see the
prisoner. This will also give you the captive opportunity to speak
with the lawyers on the case.  Make sure the defendants lawyer is
in contact with the client on a regular basis. It is common
practice for lawyers to take advantage of prisoners' isolation.
Make them do what they are paid for. Some lawyers even get off on
the whole "political game" of it. My favorite part of it is being
the dark cloud over the shitty public defender's golf game. 

Putting the whole affair in the eyes of the public is the best
tactic. Handing out flyers outside the prison or court is a must.
Alerting the media, whether sympathetic or not, is par for the
course. Just remember, the thing that can hurt "the bastards" the
most is turning on the lights. 

Rosebud Commons, 1951 W. Burnside Box 1928 PDX, OR 97209 

                               -30-

                      INTERNATIONAL SECTION

FIRE THIEVES:  NEW ANARCHIST MAGAZINE IN TURKEY

Istanbul--This is a greeting from Ates Hirsizi (Fire Thief), a
recently- begun anarchist monthly published in Turkish and Kurdish
in Istanbul. The back page will be published in English and other
languages, to acquaint the rest of the world with their
activities.Turkey, Middle East and as a whole our region with its
various social problems and deep contradictions, comes at the very
beginning of the fight fields of the world geography. We are right
in the middle of such a pleasant instability, in which all these
complex relations contradict and meet each other. Unlike any other
region in the world, this is a place where a palace pomp and
street poverty live face to face and which is why this is the
place where a social hate and anger can upsurge more easily
against such open, obvious and bold mastery. This Middle East and
Front Asia Geography, where traditional life can still blossom
despite the industrial pliers, is a permanent and important area
for the anarchist social movement.

So this is the place where we were born. From here we salute the
revolutionaries, anarchists of the whole world, with all our
warmest and heartfelt feelings.

We as the ones who aimed to carry the 200-year-old anarchist
struggle tradition to the Middle East, are aiming a
multi-dimensional world. Of course, that insists a high level of
cultural richness as well as a hard ideological, philosophical
moral and political fight. For sure, the mission is to be equipped
enough at all these levels.  Because we are not after temporary
zeals and short-lived hobbies. We want a permanent, free life now.

Therefore we need a wide range of material and cultural sources,
any kind of equipment and so many volunteers of freedom fighters
from every part of the world. States, borders, and languages
cannot barricade the road to meet on a joint struggle and to
construct a communal life. Let us refuse our consciousness which
has been "trained" for centuries.

Belonging to no nation, we a handful of revolutionaries have given
our hearts to be the fire thieves of the freedom struggle, against
the authorities that have deep roots in such a hard region where
blood and death prevails.

Fire thieves need various publications and other communication
materials for finding out their demands, aims and their sense of
life freely and to pose their voice sufficiently and in every
language. Ates Hirsizi was born as a result of this concrete need
but is also a notice board where all freedom fighters can leave
their messages.  

Ates Hirsizi Aylik Politik Dergi Klodfarer Cad.
Dr. Sevki Bey Sk.No. 4/2 Sultanamhet ISTANBUL TURKEY

                               -30-

              EAST TIMOR:  THE RESISTANCE CONTINUES

[Presented by Constancio Pinto Executive Secretary for the
Clandestine Front National Council of Maubere Resistance (CNRM)
Tour of North America, April, 1993.]

I was twelve years old when the Indonesian military invaded my
country. I fled to the mountains with my family and, for three
years, hid in the jungle. We had little food, no medicine, and no
weapons to defend ourselves, with but we were not alone. Thousands
of East Timorese families had fled into the mountains like us to
escape the terror of the invasion; others fled to Australia or
Portugal as refugees. During those years in the mountains, people
were dying all around me. Many were killed by the Indonesian
military; others died more slowly through starvation or disease.
It is hard for me to describe those years, but I can still see the
Skyhawks and Bronco AV10 aircraft that the Indonesians used in
their attempts to eliminate us. As you probably know, those
aircraft are manufactured in the United States. When I was fifteen
years old I went to the front line as a guerrilla fighter. At that
time, the Indonesians controlled all the food producing areas and
people were starving in the mountains. We were fighting to protect
and feed them -- as well as for our right to self determination.
[...]

I finished school in 1988 and became a teacher of religion. This
was my cover for my work in the resistance. I sent food and
medicine to the fighters still in the mountains and kept them
informed about what was happening in Dili and the other towns and
villages occupied by the Indonesian army. I also monitored what
was happening abroad. One of my main tasks however was to develop
the civilian resistance by uniting all the independent groups
resisting the Indonesian occupation. I began this work in 1986
with a small cell of seven people. Our code was 007! The umbrella
organization at the time was known as the Revolutionary Council of
National Resistance (CRRN). In 1989, CRRN was transformed into
CNRM -- the National Council of Maubere Resistance. In effect,
CNRM is a non-partisan clandestine coalition of all East Timorese
nationalist groups including student organizations, our army
Falantil plus the two major political parties Fretilin and
UDT.[...]

At this time, the leader of the resistance was Xanana Gusmao, a
hero to a whole generation of young East Timorese both inside East
Timor and in the diaspora. He was captured by the Indonesian
military on Nov 20, 1992 and is still on trial in Dili. The
Indonesians caught and arrested me on the morning of Jan 25, 1991,
my birthday.  I told them I would never forget the birthday
present they gave me -- for, after the police had finished with me
at the station, I had blood coming out of my nose, my ears, my
eyes and my mouth. My body was swollen all over.

The beating continued from 9 o'clock on the morning I was arrested
until 10 o'clock at night. They stripped me, and after every
question they kicked and punched me all over and jabbed me with
their outstretched hands in the abdomen to purposely cause damage
to my internal organs. They beat me even while I was bleeding.
They repeatedly threatened to kill me, to throw me into the sea.

They threatened my family too. They said that if I didn't tell
them what I was doing and where Xanana was, they would harm my
parents and my wife. They told me I would be responsible for
whatever happened to them.  After the beating at the police
station, I was transferred to Senopato II prison where I was
interrogated by Captain Edy Suprianto and Lieutenant Colonel
Gatot, the head of intelligence in East Timor. That interrogation
continued for four days non-stop. When they finished with me, they
threw me in a cell alone. There were thirteen other East Timorese
political prisoners in that prison while I was there. [...]

On 29 Oct, the Indonesian army ambushed Motael church in Dili and
killed Sebastiao Gomes, a 22 year old student who had sought
sanctuary there. Soldiers surrounded the church, broke into it and
shot Sebastiao in the stomach.  He bled to death on the steps of
the church.

I was to be next. The military knew of my role in the resistance
because they had forced some of the detainees to admit, under
torture, that I was still their leader. I could not even say
goodbye to my wife nor my parents and I have not seen them since
that day. [...]

We held the demonstration on Nov 12, 1991, a week after
Sebastiao's funeral. It is our custom to remember our dead seven
days after the funeral by placing flowers on the grave. In Tetun
we call it ai funan midar which means "sweet flowers." The
mourners not only brought flowers but banners too which they hid
underneath their jackets then unfurled as they marched to the
cemetery.  Many believed the presence of foreign journalists would
protect them from the direct vengeance of the Indonesian military.
Our plan was to demonstrate peacefully. None of the marchers did
anything to provoke the Indonesian troops. But, as they passed one
of the government buildings, the police agents provocateurs began
throwing rocks, breaking windows and beating the demonstrators
with sticks. When they arrived at the cemetery, it seemed like the
Indonesian military had prepared an ambush.  One, two, maybe five
minutes after the marchers had entered the cemetery gates, the
military opened fire. I was hiding in a house 500 meters away and
could not see what was happening. But I heard the gun shots and
screaming. I also saw the Indonesians throw the dead and wounded
onto trucks for the drive to the military hospital.  There were
seven trucks.[...]

Between December and February I collected the names of people who
had been killed at the cemetery or had died from injuries received
that day. Our official death toll was 271. Many more are still
unaccounted for. If you have seen the television coverage from
that massacre, you will know that the demonstrators were mostly
young people, East Timor's future. Their murder is further
evidence of the genocide the Indonesian military is committing
against our people. After the Santa Cruz massacre, my photograph
was circulated throughout East Timor and Indonesia on state-run
television and in the press. I was a hunted man.[...] I eventually
escaped by car to Kupang in West Timor, and from there travelled
to Jakarta where I remained in hiding for a further five months. I
arrived in Lisbon in early Nov 1992 to continue my work for the
East Timorese resistance in exile. I am now CNRM's representative
in Portugal. Not long after I arrived in Lisbon, Xanana Gusmao was
captured in Dili. (Nov 20, 1992.) At that moment many people
thought his capture marked the end of the resistance in East
Timor. But I would like to tell you that the struggle does not
depend on just one person: it depends on the determination of the
East Timorese people. Xanana's successor Mau Huno has now also
been arrested -- but again he is just one man.[...]

Like all East Timorese, I've suffered many difficulties since
Indonesia invaded my country in 1975. I don't want my son, whom I
have never seen, to have to go through what my generation and my
parents' generation have been through. Unless the international
community acts decisively to facilitate an internationally
supervised act of self-determination in East Timor, I'm afraid the
pattern of the past seventeen years will be repeated over and over
again: resistance to Indonesian occupation, intimidation by the
Indonesian military, atrocities against the Timorese people. More
resistance, more intimidation, more atrocities. I don't want my
child to have to go through that, nor anyone else's child. And I
want to be able to see my wife and my son some day. 

Constancio Pinto is one of five East Timorese who came to North
America in April 1993 to talk about the future of their occupied
country. 

For info contact: Charles Scheiner, Coordinator
East Timor Action Network/US 
P.O. Box 1182 
White Plains, New York 10602
Tel (914) 428-7299 fax (914) 428-7383
email: [email-masked] Compuserve:74670,3530

                               -30-

UPDATE: AWARENESS LEAGUE IN NIGERIA

According to a recent letter from the Awareness League, an
anarcho-syndicalist group in Nigeria, the political situation in
that country continues to worsen. Workers began striking
nationwide during the last week of January against a background of
worsening economic conditions.  With each passing day there is
growing apprehension that General Babngida will proclaim himself
President-for-Life. Recently a tribunal sentenced six opposition
elements on trumped up charges. The men were sentenced for
immediate execution.

The Awareness League members who were imprisoned (and who were
released on bail awaiting further proceedings in the midst of an
international campaign coordinated by Neither East Nor West and
Workers Solidarity Alliance from NY) are still required to report
daily to the Nigerian Secret Police, State Security Service (SSS).
Efforts to reintegrate the comrades into society after their
seven-month imprisonment continue, but they are still very ill.

Financial support for the Awareness League is still needed, as the
legal persecution by the Nigerian authorities continues. Over
$1800 has been raised so far, but their lawyer still needs to be
paid. This money can literally save their lives. For more
information or contributions contact: 

WSA, 339 Lafayette St., Rm 202, NYC 10012 tel (212) 979-8353
or:
Awareness League c/o Samuel Mbah 
PO Box 28 Agbani, Enugu State, Nigeria

                               -30-

               ANARCHY IN JAPAN:  1992 - MARCH 1993

Excerpted from W@rrior, Newsletter from Revolutionary Anarchists
in Kyoto, Japan

14 Jun / Kyoto

Meeting and rally against dispatch of SDF (Self Defense Force)
overseas under the name of UN Peace Keeping Operations. Militant
anarchists clashed with police forces on the street.

2 Oct / Osaka

Riot in the workers' town of Kumagasaki. Workers' anger exploded
against the local city council and police.  Cars were burned. Fire
bombs were thrown. An anarchist was arrested.

30 Oct/ Tokyo

Protest action against Peruvian embassy appealing the release for
Andres Villaverde was made by the group GICRAV (formed by
ARP).Before dawn, embassy has been attacked with a fire bomb.

11 Feb / Kyoto

A meeting and rally impeaching "National Foundation
Day."Anti-militarist/-racist/ -monarchist, and anarchist and
radical activists joined. Kyoto local government authorities and
financiers are going to celebrate 1094 as "1200th anniversary of
the historical foundation of Kyoto." The previous capital of Japan
was founded under bloody conquest and invasion of several regional
nations including the people of Yezo, Hayato, and Ainu, among
others. ARP is calling for an action against this stupid
"celebration." Smash the 1200 years of massacre!!

11 Feb / Kyoto

The statement to the Nigerian government was announced in the
names of ARP RRU/IWA KANSAI, ABC(Kyoto) and Takeru Kurori (member
of the Anarchist Federation) which demanded the release of four
members of the Awareness League who were arrested last year.

11-16 Mar / Kyoto

Series of actions were made against the Kyoto Local Prefectual
Government who placed a bill of municipal ordinance intending to
regulate the use of microphones at public places and even on the
streets.

Thursday, the 11th, at the hall of the Pref Assembly, anarchists
chanted and unfolded a banner reading "Death to the Law!!" and
"Smash the Suppression!!!"

Five of the anarchist and radicals were violently evicted from the
gallery by the heavily mobilized guards. It was the first time in
40 years that anyone was excluded from the hall. Anarchists and
radicals engaged in protest actions when the Tokyo Metropolitan
Assembly enacted the same ordinance last November).

                               -30-

Continued in Part 3...

+        Join Us! Support The NY Transfer News Collective        +
+       We deliver uncensored information to your mailbox!       +
+ Modem:718-448-2358    FAX:718-448-3423    e-mail:[email-masked]+