Subject: Bits and Bytes Online Edition v3 #2
From: "J. Machado" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bits N Bytes Distribution List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 23:28:59 +0000

-------------- Enclosure number 1 ----------------
"Remember: There are no bad haircuts in cyberspace."   - Dave Barry

======================================================================
  BBB  III  TTT  SSS       BBB  Y   Y TTT EEE SSS    ONLINE EDITION:
  B  B  I    T   S         B  B Y   Y  T  E   S     =THE ELECTRONIC
  BBB   I    T   SSS  AND  BBB   YYY   T  EEE SSS   =NEWSLETTER FOR
  B  B  I    T     S       B  B   Y    T  E     S   =INFORMATION
  BBB  III   T   SSS       BBB    Y    T  EEE SSS   =HUNTER-GATHERERS
======================================================================
Volume 3, Number 2                                (January 26, 1995)
======================================================================
PARITY BITS     :                                                    =
================: Boom Times in Cyberspace;                          =
                : The Truth About Version Numbers;                   =
                : Ten Ways to Rule the World Through Cyberspace;     =
                : Stepping Back From Divisiveness;                   =
                : Empire of the Useless II                           =
ACCESS          :                                                    =
================: Access to Acronyms;  The Internet by Email;        = 
                : Internet Lecture Series at the Smithsonian         =
                :                                                    =
KULTCHER KORNER :                                                    =
================: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees               =
                :                                                    =
B&B BOOKSHELF   :                                                    =
================: Computer-Related Risks;                            =
                : Digital Woes: Why We Should Not Depend on Software = 
======================================================================
"Due to the austere level of funding, the light at the end of the 
 tunnel will be extinguished until further notice."     
                     Unattributed, from the QUOTATIONS Listserver
======================================================================
BOOM TIMES IN CYBERSPACE   (Jay Machado)

We open this edition of Bits and Bytes with some excerpts from Win
Treese's Internet Index #5. Inspired by "Harper's Index"*, the
statistics show that in 1994 the net continued its' amazing growth, 
albeit at a slightly slower pace than in 1993. Gopher traffic, for 
instance, merely quadrupled in 1994. An abundance of interesting 
sociological phenomena will no doubt occur as a 25-year old Internet 
struggles to integrate the latest wave of immigrants to cyberspace, 
most of whom are blissfully unaware of the net's longstanding 
traditions and social mores. These culture clashes already show signs 
of intensifying as the virtual battle lines are drawn between a 
longstanding net culture based on the free flow of information and 
the growing hordes of net entrepreneurs, who are working on various 
methods of extracting a profit out of the information $uperhighway.
Other clashes will occur as the freewheeling, decentralized tendencies
of the net meet Mr. and Mrs. America, who'd like to keep things clean
and wholesome for the kiddies. Already one company is offering net 
feeds with all the nasty parts excised. I was bitten when I posted the
Microsoft/Catholic church PARODY at work and raised the ire of a few
rabid Catholics. It didn't even occur to me that it would offend, as
used as I am to seeing far worse in my wanderings through the net.

These are exactly the kind of issues B&B is interested in exploring in
future editions, located as they are at the intersection of technology
and culture.
                                   
Growth of Gopher traffic in 1993:  1076%
Growth of Gopher traffic in 1994:   197%

Growth of WWW traffic in 1993:  443,931%
Growth of WWW traffic in 1994:    1,713%

Number of countries on the Internet in 1993: 60
Number of countries on the Internet in 1994: 81

Number of attendees at Internet World, January, 1992:     272
Number of attendees at Internet World, December, 1994: 10,000 +

Percentage increase in weight of the 2nd edition 
of the Canadian Internet Handbook:  280

Number of Internet messages causing Microsoft to issue a 
press release denying them: 1

*"Harper's Index" is a registered trademark of Harper's Magazine
Foundation. The Internet Index is Copyright 1994 by Win Treese. Send
updates or interesting statistics to [email-masked]. A copy of
the Index annotated with sources can be found at:
 http://www.openmarket.com/info/internet-index/current-sources.html

To subscribe to future issues of the Internet Index, send a message
saying "subscribe internet-index" in the body to
[email-masked].
======================================================================
"Maybe you should telephone the Internet and talk to their tech 
 support people."
(Reply from an AOL tech-support rep speaking to a customer complaining 
 about e-mail that failed to go through.) Good dig! Good service too.
(SOURCE: Internet World, February 1995, p. 18) 
======================================================================
TEN WAYS TO RULE THE WORLD THROUGH CYBERSPACE  (Keith Bostic)

 1. Killer Client
    Create an amazing monolithic web client. Get everyone hooked
    and then augment the standard until you've locked out your
    competition.

 2. Killer Standards
    The HTTP standards are way too simple now!  Any creative little
    company can get in on the action. Start making those standards
    FANTASTICALLY complex so just a few big companies can play. An
    MIT consortium could accomplish this without even meaning to.

 3. Killer Fonts
    Start a trendy magazine with hard-to-read fonts. Take smart drugs.
    Plan an on-line service of your own while labeling all potential
    competitors "obsolete" or "tired".

 4. Killer Shopping Mall
    Start an on-line service for people to buy things. Keep an eye on
    people's email to make sure everyone is shopping and NOT
    complaining to each other about crummy products.

 5. Killer Content
    If you happen to own the rights to serious amounts of popular Mass
    Culture (violent action movies, cute cartoon icons, etc), try to
    leverage that into deals with technology companies.

 6. Killer Set-Top Box
    If you happen to own a telephone or TV cable company, just design
    a set-top box so you can pump mindless drivel into people's homes.
    Home Shopping and Top-10 Movies On Demand would make you LOTS of
    money. Give the consumer enough upstream bandwidth so they can
    press the "buy" button on their remote, but not enough to actually
    get on-line and (god forbid!) communicate with each other.

 7. Killer Language
    Invent a little language and call it a "scripting" language or a
    "mark-up" language, so people will overlook the fact that its'
    syntax sucks or it has dynamic scoping. Try to insinuate it into
    the HTTP or MIME standards.

 8. Killer Buzzword
    Pick some industrial graphics standard and rename it as something
    sexy like "Cyber Space Modeling Language". Hope no one notices
    that CAD graphics modeling languages have little or nothing to do
    with interactive presence.

 9. Killer Magna Carta
    If you happen to be a collection of powerful communications
    corporations who are afraid the national net will be opened up as
    a common carrier, issue a manifesto in Wired Magazine ranting
    about how the government should stay out of Cyberspace. Talk about
    freedom and progress and hope no one notices that you just want to
    pump Home Shopping and Video Games into the home.

10. Killer Government
    If you happen to be the US government, then you ALREADY rule the
    world!  Just make sure you can eavesdrop on cyberspace and crush
    anything that looks like it's getting too big.

(SOURCE: Dan Wallach forwarded it to Phil Agre, who sent it to me as 
part of his admirable Red Rock Eater News Service, of which more 
later. I'm sending it to you! Who're you going to send it to?)
======================================================================
ATA (ACCESS TO ACRONYMS)

The latest revision of BABEL: A GLOSSARY OF COMPUTER ORIENTED
ABBREVIATIONS AND ACRONYMS, dated January 1995, is now available for
your technical edification. Babel is an alphabetical listing of about
3000 terms like ATDT, CASE, SPARC, NNTP, and WYSIWYG (Attention Dial
Tone, Computer Aided Software Engineering, Scalable Processor
Architecture, Network News Transfer Protocol, and What You See Is What
You Get, respectively). Babel is updated regularly, and is quite
useful to have on your hard drive. Here's how to get a copy:
 
FTP:      ftp.temple.edu
           At Login   : anonymous
            At Password: your email address
             cd /pub/info/help-net
              get babel95a.txt
               (then remember to quit)
 
GOPHER:   gopher.temple.edu
           From Main Menu select:
            Computer Resources and Information
             Internet & Bitnet Information (Help-Net)
              Glossary of......(BABEL95A.TXT)
 
LISTSERV: Send e-mail to:
           [email-masked]    (for Internet users)
           listserv@templevm         (for Bitnet users)
 
          Subject line should be left blank.
          In body of message put this command:
 
             GET BABEL95A TXT HELP-NET
 
Also try looking for it on your local BBS, where it can often be
found as BABEL95A.ZIP. Soon you too will be spouting off that 
high-tech mumbo-jumbo with the best of them.
======================================================================
(NOT SO) STUPID EMAIL TRICKS: ACCESSING THE INTERNET BY EMAIL

Let kindly Doctor Bob be your guide to accessing the wonders of the
Internet via email. Bits and Bytes just recently came across the latest 
edition of this wonderful FREE guide. We'll let Dr. Bob himself take 
it from here:

"If your only access to the Internet is via e-mail, you don't have to
miss out on all the fun! Maybe you've heard of FTP, Gopher, Archie,
Veronica, Finger, Whois, WAIS, World-Wide Web, and Usenet but thought
they were out of your reach because your online service does not
provide those tools. Not so! And even if you do have full Internet
access, using e-mail servers can save you time and money."

"This special report will show you how to retrieve files from FTP
sites, explore the Internet via Gopher, search for information with
Archie, Veronica, or WAIS, tap into the World-Wide Web, and even
access Usenet newsgroups using E-MAIL AS YOUR ONLY TOOL."

"If you can send a note to an Internet address, you're in the game!
This is great news for users of online services where there is partial
or no direct Internet access."

Yes, Indeed. The guide contains detailed instructions for performing
these amazing feats. So if you are currently limited to email-only
access to the net, I would urge you to do two things: 1) Pick up
Doctor Bob's Guide to Accessing The Internet By E-Mail. Instructions
for getting it are listed below. You will be amazed at just how much
you can do. 2) Think about upgrading your service. SLIP/PPP hookups,
which give you access to the full range of Internet services like FTP
and World Wide Web can often be had for $20-30 bucks a month. Look
beyond AOL/Prodigy/Compuserve/Delphi/Genie and patronize a local
access provider. The net is rapidly becoming commercialized -- Master-
Card International and Netscape Communications have just announced 
that they are developing a secure interface for on-line transactions
on the net. Let's not let things get too centralized too fast. 
Remember how it was when there was only one phone company? The net's 
great strength is in the diversity of people and resources on it. It's 
not as difficult to navigate as you might suppose, and besides, 
finding your way around can be part of the adventure.

But I digress... here's how to get the latest version of the guide:
This document is now available from several automated mail servers.
To get the latest edition, send e-mail to one of the addresses below.

To: [email-masked] (for US/Canada/etc.)
Leave Subject blank, and enter only this line in the body of the note:
  GET INTERNET BY-EMAIL NETTRAIN F=MAIL

To: [email-masked] (for Eastern US)
Leave Subject blank, and enter only this line in the body of the note:
  send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

To: [email-masked] (for UK/Europe/etc.)
Leave Subject blank, and enter only this line in the body of the note:
  send lis-iis e-access-inet.txt

You can also get the file by anonymous FTP at one of these sites:

Site: ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu
   get NETTRAIN/INTERNET.BY-EMAIL
Site: rtfm.mit.edu
   get pub/usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email
Site: mailbase.ac.uk
   get pub/lists/lis-iis/files/e-access-inet.txt
======================================================================
THE TRUTH ABOUT VERSION NUMBERS   (Mark Thorson)

How should a revision level be interpreted?  Here's a quick guide for
anyone short of a clue:

0.1   WE GOT A REALLY GREAT NEW WAY TO DO THINGS  !!!
<0.9  Not ready for prime time.
0.9   We think it works, but we won't bet our lives on it.
1.0   Management is on our case; seems like a low risk.
1.01  Okay, we knew about that. All known bugs are fixed.
1.02  Fixes bugs you won't see in 27,000 years, i.e. more
      than three times the age of the universe.
1.03  Fixes bugs in the bug fixes.
1.04  All right, this REALLY fixes all known bugs.
1.05  Fixes bugs introduced in rev 1.04.
1.1   A new crew hired to write documentation.
1.11  From now on, no comma after "i.e." or "e.g.".
1.2   Somebody actually changed a functional feature.
2.0   New crew hired to write software. Old crew blamed for bugs.
2.01  New crew sending out resumes to placement agencies.
3.0   Re-write the software in another language, go back ten squares.
...   return to line 0.1

Mark Thorson  ([email-masked])
======================================================================
STEPPING BACK FROM DIVISIVENESS  (Teresa Heinz)

Today, we seem to dread politics as a ghoulish thing. We have come to
envision Washington as a cave of horrors where zombie-like politicians,
mummified by the insular Washington air and chained to demonic special
interests, clank their insidious way down Pennsylvania Avenue,
perpetually sinking their teeth into our wallets and draining from our
veins the lifeblood of democracy.

Even politicians and would-be politicians describe each other as
nothing short of a monstrous criminal class.

Little wonder that fewer than a third of the American people trust
government to do what's right even a majority of the time. ...

But we must call on our politicians, on our leaders of all kinds,
to step back from the divisiveness, to forgo the opportunism, to stop
trying to profit from our anxiety and our differences.

As a country, we must focus anew on our similarities, on the shared
hopes and dreams that made us what we are.

The road back to hope, to a new sense of place is not through the
hateful swamp where the ideologues dwell; it is through the common
spaces of our dreams.

(SOURCE: Teresa Heinz, Oct. 27 1994 speech, reprinted in the 
Philadelphia Inquirer)
======================================================================
ON THE OTHER HAND...
======================================================================
THE EMPIRE OF THE USELESS II   (Critical Art Ensemble)

"Progress in the 20th century has primarily consisted of bourgeois 
culture looking for a new master. In the time of bourgeois revolution, 
the aristocracy was destroyed, as was the church with its spiritual 
hierarchies, but the primordial desire to serve the useless has never 
been affected. The 'primitive' ritual of offering goods to an angry 
or potentially angry God in order to appease it into a state of 
neutrality continues to replay itself in complex capitalist economy. 
All things must be subordinated to neutrality - to uselessness. One 
major difference between the age of the virtual and more primitive 
times is that the contemporary idols have no metaphysical referent. 
The ones that have been constructed are not the mediating points 
between person and spirit, or life and afterlife; rather, they are 
end-points, empty signs. To this paper master, sacrifice has no 
limit. The stairs of the temple flow with blood every day. How 
fitting for progress to come to this end in the empire of the
useless."

[The Critical Art Ensemble(CAE) is a collective of six artists of
different specializations committed to the production of a new genre 
art that explores the intersections among critical theory, art, and
technology.]
======================================================================
KULTCHER KORNER

==> ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME. Congratulations to this year's
    inductees: the Allman Brothers Band, Al Green, Janis Joplin, Led
    Zeppelin, Martha and the Vandellas, Neil Young, Frank Zappa,
    Billboard publisher Paul Ackerman, and the Orioles.
======================================================================
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
                                                  -- Mitch Ratliffe
======================================================================
Bits and Bytes Bookshelf

Computer Related Risks - by Peter G. Neumann [ACM Press/Addison-Wesley
1995. ISBN 0-201-55805-X. 368 pp. $24.50]
-
Digital Woes (Why We Should Not Depend on Software) - by Lauren Ruth
Weiner [Addison-Wesley, 1994. ISBN 0-201-40796-5. 252 pp. $14]

Every day, modern society becomes more and more dependant on computers
to get us through our day. There are tiny microprocessors embedded in
our toasters and microwave ovens, and the jets flying overhead are
dependant on computer guidance to arrive safely at their destinations.
Many of us eschew traditional forms of currency for the ease of use
and accountability of digital cash in the form of credit/debit bank
cards and other electronic payment schemes. Indeed, it would be hard
for anyone to get through a day without some form of interaction with
digital technology. Most of us don't give this fact a second thought; 
we don't stop and think about what would happen if there was a 
breakdown in the system.

Peter G. Neumann is the moderator of one of the most fascinating (and
popular) online newsgroups, the Forum on Risks to the Public in the
Use of Computers and Related Systems, commonly referred to as the
RISKS Forum (see the ACCESS section). The various ongoing threads in
the RISKS forum have been skilfully classified and clarified in the
book _Computer Related Risks_. This is one heckuva book. I couldn't
put it down. I'm here to tell you, Stephen King's got nothing on this
book in terms of sheer terror! I was wide-eyed with disbelief when I
learned that during one 2-month period (April-May) in 1986 (the same
year of the Challenger disaster), NASA lost not one, not two, but
THREE separate satellites! All of them were destroyed in mid-air after
they were launched. NASA's problems are well-documented elsewhere, and 
fortunately there was no loss of life in any of these incidents, but 
we're not always going to be so lucky.

Neumann places problems into several major categories: reliability and
safety problems, security vulnerabilities, security and integrity
problems, and threats to privacy and well-being. Not all problems
discussed are life-threatening, some are merely annoying, like if
you've ever been refused service or had to do the bureaucratic
shuffle because "that's not what the computer says". Other topics
covered include financial fraud by computer, annoyances in life,
death and taxes, hackers and crackers, and a great chapter on spoofs
and pranks.

More importantly, the book analyzes the underlying causes of
breakdowns in the system and offers various frameworks for analyzing
such problems and minimizing the chances of their occurring again.
Note that I said minimize, not eliminate the risk. As the book makes
clear, computer systems, however well designed, operate in the
physical world, and a variety of mishaps can befall them. Assuming the
system is well-designed (not always a safe assumption), any number of
things can go wrong, from human error, mechanical failure, and natural
catastrophe to such imponderables as the dreaded NASDAQ squirrel, who
chewed through some wires and brought the stock market to its' knees.

That we do relatively little thinking about such matters says much
about humanity, about our technological myopia, and about our
continuing inability to look down the road at the consequences of our
actions. That's how we get nuclear power plants built near earthquake
fault lines and other blatantly boneheaded "solutions" to the problems
of modern life. _Computer Related Risks_ is written to be accessible
by a wide range of people, and should be read by sytems designers,
software engineers, savvy managerial types, and interested laymen who
would like to make informed decisions about the technologies they 
choose to employ in their lives. 
---
In a similar vein, Lauren Ruth Weiner's _Digital Woes_ focuses on the
software component of the technological equation. It's no surprise to
those of us who write programs for a living that software is
inherently unreliable, written, designed and maintained as it is by
human beings. The Pentium error making headlines nowadays is a case
in point: it was a result of simple human error -- in this case a few
transposed numbers incorrectly entered into a hardcoded table on the chip.
Computer code is tricky stuff -- something as small as a misplaced
period can change the flow of your program and lead to unforeseen 
results. Writing code is still more of an art than a science. Although 
progress in this area is being made, and general principles of good 
coding practice have been identified, these principles are not always 
followed to the letter. Coding "on the fly", in response to day to day 
processing requirements, with no regard for future maintainability or 
overall program design, is not all that unusual in many IS shops.

In the shop where I work, the design process involves countless
meetings, committees and cross-functional working groups working in
politically-charged environments, often at cross purposes with common
sense, to produce preliminary designs that are in any case not always
followed as rigorously as they could be. (Hi, guys!) Even when the
design is good, subtle assumptions in the resulting software can
become errors years down the road, when technologies change, as they
are wont to do, or processing requirements change. This can bring out
undiscovered bugs (sometimes called undocumented features) in a
program. Stuff happens.

Ms. Weiner's book is a higly readable introduction to the problems,
both technological and sociological, inherent in software design. It 
contains lots of anecdotes that will enlighten even as they bring a 
chuckle of recognition to many a programmer or project manager. When 
you finish reading Digital Woes, you'll have a greater appreciation 
for the amount of effort that's involved in designing and constructing 
good software. Given how much can go wrong, you will marvel at how
much good software there is to be had out there. Interested laymen
will find the book an entertaining overview, and those wishing to
delve deeper will discover a wealth of resources in the book's
extensive footnotes and bibliography.
======================================================================
ACCESS: THE RISKS FORUM

The RISKS forum is available in a variety of forms on the net. On
Usenet, look for the comp.risks newsgroup. To receive the digest form
via email, send a help message to:  [email-masked].
An anonymous FTP archive of back issues of the digest can be found at:
crvax.sri.com in the /risks subdirectory. In print, highlights from
the RISKS forum appear in quarterly issues of the ACM SIGSOFT
publication _Software Engineering Notes, available from the
Association for Computing Machinery, 1515 Broadway, NYC, NY 10036. A
monthly version, _Inside Risks_, can be found in _Communications of
the ACM_.
======================================================================
INTERNET LECTURES AT THE SMITHSONIAN  (Press Release)

The Smithsonian is proud to present "Interacting with the Internet:
Its Impact on Society", an eight part lecture series as part of its
1995 Winter/Spring "Campus on the Mall" program. Please excuse me if
you've seen this elsewhere, but the lineup for these lectures is 
quite impressive.

The explosive growth of the Internet and much more yet-to-be-
realized potential raise important questions for which there are no
easy answers. In this extraordinary lecture series, for both
potential and actual users, leading experts on the forefront of
cyberspace address the most timely and important issues facing the
Internet today.

Jan 24 - The State of The Internet
Exactly what is the Internet and why was it create? How is it enabling 
30 million people to communicate literally around the globe? What is 
the Internet's future? Vint Cerf, President, The Internet Society and 
Senior Vice President, MCI, Reston, VA

Jan 31 - Daily Life on the Internet
Discover the how's and what's of the rules, language, and protocols
(called "netiquette") used by the thousands who have created "virtual" 
neighborhoods where people work and sometime play. Ester Dyson, 
Editor, Release 1.0, New York, NY.

Feb 7 - The Internet as a Freedom Forum
The Internet has become a critical tool in connecting countries all
over the world. At times it is some countries' only link to the 
outside world.  Ferooq Hussain, principal investigator, National
Science Foundation, Washington, DC.  Jack Hidary, director,
EarthWeb Ltd., Rockville, MD.

Feb 14 - Inter-Relating on the Internet
How do men and women differ in their approach to using computers
and the Internet? Vic Sussman and Amy Bernstein, reporters, US
World and News Report.

Feb 21 - The Marketplace in Cyberspace
Most cybernauts agree that the next major area of significant growth 
will be buying and selling products on the Internet. Mary Cronin, 
Author of Doing Business on the Internet and university librarian, 
Boston College, MA

Feb 28 - The Great Human Potential in Cyberspace
The Net has opened new opportunities in human communication never
before seen or known. Tremendous potential exists for the Internet
to be a unifying force in every part of the globe. Jean Houston,
director, Foundation for Mind Research, Pomona, NY.

Mar 7 The Role of the Government in the Internet
What role, if any, should government play in the everyday life of
the Internet? Thomas Kalil, advisor to Vice President Gore,
National Economic Advisory Council, Washington; Jerry Berman,
executive director; Electronic Frontier Foundation, Washington.

Mar 14 Translating the Real World to Cyberspace
Are E-mail contracts legally binding? Is a computer generated
signature authentic? Sticky legal issues Internet users wouldn't
be aware of. Brook Meeks, reporter, Interactive Week, Washington.
Shari Steele, cyber-attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation,
Washington.

This eight part series will be presented every Tues Evening at 6:00
pm. Each session will last approximately 90 minutes. The price
for the full series is $100 for Smithsonian members and $140 for
non-members.

For tickets and location information call 202-357-3030.  
Tell the operator that you're interested in Series Code 330-702.
======================================================================
"It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to 
have learned English - up to fifty words used in correct context - no 
human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese."  Carl Sagan
======================================================================
                     ### ADMINISTRIVIA ###

SUBSCRIBERS: 3,722

THE OPENING QUOTE came from Technology Review, April, 1992.

BITS AND BYTES GUARANTEE. I will never again announce the theme of an
issue in advance. The B&B Faves issue is still under construction, 
much like the oft-requested Information Superhighway SuperExtravaganza 
Issue, which will see the light of day in 1995. We will serve no whine 
before its time.

HEY SYSOPS! If you are archiving B&B on your BBS, please drop me a
note. I'd like to mention your BBS in B&B.

LETTERS. How's my driving? We welcome submissions and commentary. All 
mail sent to the editor or to B&B will be treated as a "letter to the 
editor" and considered printable, unless you tell me otherwise.

<<<ACCESS>>>  BITS AND BYTES ONLINE EDITION

BY LISTSERVER:
Subscribe to B&B by sending email to [email-masked]
text: SUBSCRIBE bits-n-bytes
To unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked]
text: UNSUBSCRIBE bits-n-bytes
Retrieve back issues by sending email to [email-masked]
text:   send <filename>
in the body of your mail message, no subject.
Example: send bitsv1n1.txt
Issues 1-9: The file name is in the form: bitsv1n1.txt
Issues 10- : The file name is in the form: bits1n10.txt
(Remember to disable or delete your signature, as this will generate
an error message)

ONLINE ACCESS.
B&B is available for downloading on America Online in their telecom
files area, and in Compuserve's telecom forum library, and on various
fine BBS systems all across this wunnerful wunnerful world of ours.
BBSs like the MICRO BBS in Denver, CO at 303/752-2943. Or how about
UpTown Station at 402/551-4216. And would you believe we're on the
PC-LINK BBS at 404-938-2213, a proud member of Fidonet (1:133/1677).
Live on the other side of the big pond? Feeling left out? Check out
B&B on the Koos z'n Doos BBS in the Netherlands at:
+31-3402-36647 (9600..28800 bps V.FC MNP10 V42b V32b) or
+31-3402-56619 (300..14400 bps MNP5 V42b V32b)

INTERNET ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
 ftp.dana.edu in  /periodic directory             (DOS Users go here)
 ftp.eff.org  in  pub/Publications/CuD/BNB/bnb????.gz
 (where ???? is volume & number, e.g. bnb0116.gz) (UNIX users go here)

INTERNET GOPHER ACCESS.
 gopher.law.cornell.edu
   in the Discussions and Listserv archives/Teknoids  directory
 gopher.dana.edu  in the Electronic Journals   directory

INTERNET WORLD WIDE WEB ACCESS
Some kind net.soul (drop me a line -- I've lost your address) is 
converting B&B to HTML format. Tres Cool. Just point your favorite Web 
browser to this URL:
http://www.utopia.com/mailings/bnb/
======================================================================
BITS AND BYTES ONLINE EDITION, an electronic newsletter for
information-based lifeforms, is printed using 100% recycled electrons.
We use only the finest American electrons here at Bits and Bytes,
handpicked by specially trained technicians and beechwood aged for
that extra smooth taste you've come to enjoy so very very much.

THE LEGAL BITS.  Bits and Bytes is copyright (c)1995 Jay Machado.
Unaltered, electronic distribution of this file for non-profit
purposes is encouraged. Please contact the editor for reprint
permission. The editor is solely responsible for the editorial 
content (or lack thereof). Opinions expressed in Bits and Bytes
blah blah blah... Does anybody actually read this crap?
======================================================================
=============== End of Bits and Bytes Online V3, #2  =================
======================================================================