Subject: x86 Assembly Language FAQ - General Part 1/3
From: [email-masked] (Raymond Moon)
Date: 21 Apr 1997 21:20:34 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86,news.answers,alt.answers,comp.answers

Archive-Name: assembly-language/x86/general/part1
Posting-Frequency: monthly (21st of every month)
Last-modified: 1997/03/18

------------------------------

Subject: 1. Introduction and Intent

This is the x86 Assembly Language FAQ for the comp.lang.asm.x86 and
alt.lang.asm newsgroups.  This FAQ is posted monthly on or about the 21st
of the month on both newsgroups and news.answers, alt.answers and
comp.answers.  It also is archived at the normal FAQ archival sites and the
SimTel mirror sites in the msdos/info directory.  Lastly, the current
version is available from my web page as:
    As text files:
        http://www2.dgsys.com/~raymoon/faq/asmfaq.zip
    As html documents:
        http://www2.dgsys.com/~raymoon/faq/asmfaqh.zip
Currently, this FAQ is broken into six sections.  The following are the
section filenames and the scope of each section of the FAQ.

assembly-language/x86/general/part1 - This is the basic portion of the FAQ
    that contains information of interest to all assembly language
    programmers.  In general, the information contained in this portion of
    the FAQ is not specific to any particular assembler.

assembly-language/x86/general/part2 - This is a continuation of the above
    FAQ.

assembly-language/x86/general/part3 - This is a continuation of the above
    FAQ.

assembly-language/x86/microsoft - This portion of the FAQ contains
    information specific for the Microsoft MASM.

assembly-language/x86/borland - This portion of the FAQ contains
    information specific for the Borland TASM.

assembly-language/x86/a86 - This portion of the FAQ contains information
    specific for the Shareware A86 Assembler and D86 Debugger.

The scope and content of this FAQ is to go beyond just answering the
frequently asked questions.  I am including pointers to assembly language
treasure troves that are hidden out on the internet.  I believe that this
will enhance the FAQ's value not only to the novices but also to the old
hands.

For the ease of determining what has changed since the last FAQ, the Table
of Contents will have "REVISED" at the end of the subject line for all
revised subjects.  If more than one FAQ revision has been missed, the "Last
Changed:" entry at the end of each subject can be used to determine which
subjects have been revised during the intervening time frame.

The information in this FAQ is free for all to use as long as you
acknowledge the source.  This FAQ can be reproduced in part or in its
entirety as long as the copyright is included.  This FAQ can be made
available on public servers, like ftp, gopher or WWW servers.  Please do
not modify the file, such as converting it into some other format, without
prior permission of the author.

All references to files and locations are in Uniform Resource Locators
(URLs) format.  Some web browser will be able to use these URLs directly as
hot links.  If the format is not clear to you, get RFC 1738.  It is
available from:   ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1738.txt 

Suggestions for changes and comments are always welcome.  They can be
posted to either newsgroup or e-mailed directly to the me.

Author: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Copyright 1997 - Raymond Moon
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Last Changed: 6 Jan 97

------------------------------

Subject: 2. Table of Contents

Part I

1.  Introduction and Intent
2.  Table of Contents
3.  Charters For comp.lang.asm.x86 and alt.lang.asm Newsgroups
4.  What is Assembly Language
5.  List of x86 OpCodes
6.  What is HELPPC and Where It Is Available
7.  How To Truncate a File
8.  How Can STDERR Be Redirected To a File
9.  How To Determine the CPU Type
10. IRQ Assignments
11. Ralf Brown's Interrupt List
12. Using VGA Mode 13h for Fast Graphics
13. Real Mode/Protected Mode
14. Shareware ASM Libraries

Part II

15. Accessing 4 Gegs of Memory in Real Mode
16. What Is Available at developer.intel.com
17. Interrupts and Exceptions
18. ASM Books Available
19. ASM Code Available on Internet
20. How To Commit a File
21. Using Extended Memory Manager
22. EXE2BIN Replacement
23. ASM Tutorials Available on the Internet
24. Shareware Assemblers
25. Undocumented OpCodes

Part III

26. WWW Assembly HomePages
27. Common Reason Why Memory Allocation Fails
28. Volume Serial Numbers
29. .obj File Format
30. Rebooting from Software
31. Other FAQs
32. Pseudo Random Number Generator in Assembly Language
33. Command Line Arguments
34. Free 32-bit and DJGPP
35. TERSE Programming Language
36. Assembly Language IDEs
37. Disassemblers
38. How to Optimize for the Pentium
39. Acknowledgments

------------------------------

Subject: 3. Charters For comp.lang.asm.x86 and alt.lang.asm Newsgroups

To know whether or not these newsgroups will meet your needs, the purpose
for which they were created are given below.

3.1  COMP.LANG.ASM.X86

comp.lang.asm.x86 was created based upon voting on a Request for Discussion
(RFD).  The RFD for this newsgroup is:

The unmoderated newsgroup comp.lang.asm.x86 is open to discussions on all
topics related to assembly language and low-level programming on IBM
machines with '86 processors.  Appropriate topics would include, but not be
limited to:

    Assembly language tips and tricks (code techniques)
    MASM, TASM, and other commercial assemblers
    Graphics, sound, and other hardware programming
    Assembly language code
    Assembly language related share/freeware
    Linking assembly language with other languages
    Etc...

Topics that are discouraged are:

    Flames about "{Language X} is {better/worse} than ASM"
    Flames like "{Assembler 1} is {better/worse} than {Assembler 2}"
    High-level language code, except when used for hardware programming

3.2  ALT.LANG.ASM

Alt newsgroups are initiated with a Proposal posting to the alt.config
newsgroup.  The proposal for alt.lang.asm is:

alt.lang.asm will address the problems of machine language programmers out
there in InterNet land.  It will be a forum for discussion of coding
techniques and efficiency problems related to machine language.  The scope
will be broad.  We will not discriminate by machine architecture, race or
sex.

Contributors: Michael Averbuch, [email-masked]
              Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 28 Dec 94 

------------------------------

Subject: 4. What Is Assembly Language

4.1  WHAT IS MACHINE LANGUAGE?

Although programmers tend to use C or C++ or Pascal these days, the
language closest to the PC hardware is machine language.  Not one second
during a PCs powered on lifetime passes where the computer is not
executing machine language.

4.2  ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE OR MACHINE LANGUAGE

To word this simply, you can say that say that assembly language is a
human-readable text, and machine language is machine-readable binary code.
When you program in assembly language, you are programming on the machine
language level.

To program directly in machine language is teadious, so you use assembly
language instead, and use an assembler to produce the actual machine code.

4.3  WHEN TO USE ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE

I personally think that except as a learning exercise it's a waste of time
writing something in asm that can be written acceptably fast in a
high-level language.

Assembly language fits for the following:

 *  Low level control.  When you need to change the flags, or the control
    registers of the processor, as when entering protected mode.

 *  Speed.  Programs written in machine language execute fast!  It can
    execute 10-100 times the speed of BASIC, and about twice as fast as a
    program written in C or Pascal.

 *  Time Critical Code.  Critical sections of programs written in higher
    level languages, can be written in assembly to speed up sections.

 *  Small program size.  When you write a TSR for example this is very
    useful. Writing interrupt handlers is where assembly language shines.

Assembly language is very flexible and powerful, anything that the hardware
of the computer is capable of doing can be done in assembly.

Contributor: Patrik Ohman, [email-masked]
Last changed: 10 Jan 95

------------------------------

Subject: 5. List Of x86 OpCodes

5.1 x86 OPCODES

The best source of OpCodes up to and including the Pentium Pro processor is
in the Intel Architecture Software Developer's Manual, Volume 2:
Instruction Set Reference Manual.  It is available in .pdf format from
Intel's Web Site:

    http://developer.intel.com/design/pro/MANUALS/243191_1.pdf

5.2 MMX OPCODES

Intel has a chapter covering these new OpCodes in the MMX Technology
Programmer's Reference Manual.  This chapter is Chapter Five - Intel
Architecture MMX Instruction Set.

    http://developer.intel.com/drg/mmx/Manuals/prm/PRM_CHP5.HTM

5.3 OTHER SOURCES OF THESE DOCUMENTS

These manuals are available on the Intel Developer's CD-ROM, see Subject
#16.  You also can find these manuals on Robert Collins' Web Site:

    http://www.x86.org/intel.doc/IntelDocs.html

or Christian Luddoff's Web Site:

    http://www.sandpile.org/xxx

Contributor: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 8 Mar 97

------------------------------

Subject: 6. What Is HELPPC and Where Is It Available

HELPPC is a Quick Reference Utility for the intermediate to advanced
programmer.  It is a shareware program written by David Jurgens.  The
latest version is 2.10

The topics distributed in an easy database format are:
    BIOS interrupts;
    DOS interrupts and DOS functions;
    EMS and Mouse functions;
    BIOS and DOS data structures;
    diagnostic codes;
    DOS commands;
    80x86 assembler instructions;
    standard and vendor specific C functions; and
    various hardware specifications.

HELPPC is customizable by users.  The documentation describes how users can
incorporate their own information into the help file format.  These user
help files then can be incorporated into the database and accessed via
HELPPC application.

HELPPC comes in two versions.  The first is a DOS command line program. 
The second is a TSR.  The TSR supports context sensitive help within many
editors.  Only 32K is taken by the TSR version.

HELPPC requires:
    DOS 2.0 or greater;
    64K of RAM for DOS Command Line or 32K for TSR; and
    hard disk recommended.

HELPPC is available specifically from:

   ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/info/helppc21.zip

HELPPC also is available from any site that mirrors the SimTel directory.

Contributor:  Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 28 Dec 94

------------------------------

Subject: 7. How To Truncate A File

There is not any single DOS Int 21h function that performs this operation. 
A file can be truncated using two functions.  The procedure is:

1.  Use Int 21h function 42h, Move File Pointer, to move the file pointer
    to the position where you want the file to be truncated.
2.  Use Int 21h function 40h, Write File or Device, to write zero bytes to
    the file.

Execution of the last DOS function will update the directory to the new
file length.

Contributor: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 28 Dec 94

------------------------------

Subject: 8. How Can STDERR Be Redirected To A File

I understand that 4DOS has this capability at its command line.  If you are
looking in the assembly language FAQ for this information, an assembly
language answer probably is desired.  Here it is.

You will need to write a short program that performs the STDERR redirection
before loading and executing the desired program.  This loader program
relies upon the fact that a child program inherits all open files of the
parent program unless the parent program opens a file with the inheritance
flag set to no.

Because the full code for such a program is too large for this FAQ, I will
give the salient specifications for such a program.

1.  The loader program accepts three command line arguments:
    a.  The full path and filename of the file into which STDERR is to be
        written.
    b.  The full path and filename of the program to be executed.
    c.  The command line for the program to be executed (should be
        delimited by double quotes to allow multiple arguments).  This
        argument is optional.
2.  Release all memory above the program using Int 21 function 4ah so that
    there will be room enough to load and execute the designated program. 
3.  Open the file from step 1.a above into which STDERR is to be written.
4.  Duplicate STDERR filehandle, which is 2, using Int 21h function 45h.
5.  Using Int 21h function 46h, force STDERR filehandle, again 2, to have
    the filehandle of the opened file from step 2.
6.  Use Int 21h function 4b00h to load and execute the program from step
    1.a.  Use the default environment and the command line from step 1.c
    above.
7.  Upon return from the function 4b00h, close the file opened in step 2.
8.  To restore STDERR, use Int 21h function 46h to force STDERR, again 2,
    to point to the filehandle saved from step 3 above.

This same technique can be applied to any of the standard devices.

I have written a full featured demonstration program.  I believe that asm
programmers will find the source code useful even if they do not want to
redirect stderr to a file.  The URL to the file is:

    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/asmutl/stderrf.zip

Contributor: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 3 Jun 95

------------------------------

Subject: 9. How To Determine The CPU Type

9.1  CPUID PROGRAM

The type of processor and math coprocessor can be determined using two
functions that have been provided by Intel.  The source code to these
functions can be obtained from Intel by:

    ftp://ftp.intel.com/pub/IAL/tools_utils_demos/cpuid3.zip

Three source files are included in this .zip file.
    cpuid3a.asm - This source code file contains two assembly language
        functions.  One determines the type of cpu from 8088/8086 to
        Pentium.  The second detects and identifies, if present, the type
        of math coprocessor.
    cpuid3b.c - a c program that calls the above two functions and
        displaysthe results.
    cpuid3c.asm - this is an assembly program equivalent to cpuid3b.c.

9.2  AP-485 INTEL PROCESSOR IDENTIFICATION WITH THE CPUID INSTRUCTION

This Application Note explains how to use the CPUID instruction in software
applications, BIOS implementations, and various processor tools. By taking
advantage of the CPUID instruction, software developers can create software
applications and tools that can execute compatibly across the widest range
of Intel processor generations and models, past, present, and future.

    http://developer.intel.com/design/pro/applnots/241618.HTM

9.3  Robert Collins' CPUID.ASM

Robert Collins has written two columns for Dr. Dobb's Journal on this
subject.  These articles with source code is available on his web site:

    http://www.x86.org/ddj/ddj.html

9.4  Grzegorz Mazur's x86 CPU Identification

Grzegorz has a series of hypertext articles that explain x86 CPU
identification algorithms developed by himself.  Covered are not only the
Intel chips but also V20, V30 (remember them), and Cyrix and alikes.  His
page is located:

    http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/x86/index.html

Contributor: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 18 Mar 97

------------------------------

Subject: 10. IRQ Assignments

A list of IRQ assignments are available in David Jurgens' HELPPC database.  
See Subject #6 for details on how to obtain this program.

Contributor: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 28 Dec 94  

------------------------------

Subject: 11. Ralf Brown's Interrupt List

11.1  FILE AVAILABILITY

The latest version of Ralf Brown's Interrupt List is 5.1, dated 28 Jul 96. 
The files are available directly from his home page, from SimTel, or Garbo:

    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/ralf/pub/WWW/files.html
    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/info
    ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/programming

The files are:
inter53a.zip    Comprehensive listing of interrupt calls, 1of4
inter53b.zip    Comprehensive listing of interrupt calls, 2of4
inter53c.zip    Comprehensive listing of interrupt calls, 3of4
inter53d.zip    Comprehensive listing of interrupt calls, 4of4
inter53e.zip    Utility progs/source code for interrupt list
inter53f.zip    WinHelp conversion programs for interrupt list
inter53g.zip    Hypertext conversion progs. for interrupt list
    Above available from all sites.  Below files are available from SimTel
inter53z.zip    HC31/HCP phrases file for interrupt list
intwin53.zip    WINHELP hypertext 

11.2  DESCRIPTION

The interrupt list is a comprehensive listing of functions available
through interrupt calls and FAR calls, both documented and (officially)
undocumented, plus maps of CMOS and BIOS memory and I/O ports.  This
release contains more than 8100 entries and nearly 3300 tables.

11.3  WHAT IS NEW

Version 5.1
COMBINE.BAT has been replaced by COMBINE.COM.  New info includes PCMCIA v2,
Player's Tool, ShowGFX, Iomega, additional virus checks, OS/2 INT 21h, and
various miscellaneous updates.

Version 5.2
Three new hypertext conversion programs (for WinHelp, ASMEdit, and Turbo
Pascal) and a new text file MSR.LST.  INTLIST.E has been enhanced, a
repeated error in Novell NetWare multiplexor functions has been corrected,
and a variety of incorrect cross-references has been fixed.  New info
includes APM v1.2, TI Professional PC BIOS, Cherry keyboard chipcard
reader, KeyRus, Volkov Commander, and XPACK.

Version 5.3
More than 370k of updates, including ACPI, OpenHCI, PCI configuration
registers for various Intel chipsets, SCSI CDB and ASPI updates, Novell
TCP/IP API, Banyan VINES printing, additional virus installation checks,
MODRES, Toshiba model IDs, MS-DOS7/Win95 info, FAT32, CardBus, InterWave
Game API, PCI Power Management, ATAPI Removable Media, and an updated
OPCODES.LST (now includes MMX instructions)

11.4 INTWIN.HLP

INTWIN.HLP was compiled from Ralf Brown's Interrupt List with Christian
Mueller Planitz's and Bent Lynggaard's INT2WHLP program to a hypertext
format of the List.  Most of the supplementary *.LST files in the Interrupt
List are included in INTWIN.HLP.

INTWIN displays table references in a secondary window to ease the
reference between the source and the referenced text.  The package includes
an editor to edit the secondary window size as appropriate for the graphics
platform used.

INTWIN has extensive search facilities with almost 30,000 keywords (below
WinHelp 4.00's keyword limit) for search on interrupt numbers, register
contents, interrupt categories, and topic headings.  The package includes
also a full text search facility.

11.5 INTWIN.PH

INTWIN.PH is a phrases (Windows help file compression information) file
compiled from Ralf Brown's Interrupt List with Christian Mueller Planitz's
and Bent Lynggaard's INT2WHLP program.  Most of the supplementary *.LST
files in the Interrupt List were included in the compilation.

The phrases file is used by the HC31 and HCP help file compiles when
compiling in high compression mode.  The compilation of this phrases file
requires more DOS memory and disk space than is easily available on many
computers (630-730 kb and 38-52 Mb).

11.6 OTHER INCLUDED GEMS

OVERVIEW.LST - A brief description of each of the 256 interrupts.
86BUGS.LST - A list of undocumented and buggy instructions with
    descriptions of the x86 Intel processor and compatible processors.  And
    you thought that the Intel FDIV was the first bug in a processor!
CMOS.LST - a CMOS memory map.
OPCODE.LST - A list of undocumented instructions and documented
    instructions of any last processor.
PORTS.LST - I/O port addressed for XT, AT and PS/2 computers.
GLOSSARY.LST - glossary of PC terms.
MEMORY.LST - The format for various memory locations, such as the BIOS Data
    Segment, Interrupt Vector Table, and much, much more.
INTERRUP.PRI - iAPX 86 Interrupt Primer

Contributor: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 19 Jan 97

------------------------------

Subject: 12. Using VGA Mode 13h for Fast Graphics

12.1  INTRODUCTION AND PREPARATION

Mode 13h is so widely used for graphics applications in DOS because it is
very easy to use.  The screen is constantly being redrawn by the video
card.  To affect what the card draws, it is necessary to write to the
screen buffer.  The screen buffer in mode 13h is always at segment:offset =
A000:0000.  Thus, to set up drawing directly to the video buffer, this is
what you'd most often first do:

  ;Change the video mode to 13h
    xor  ah, ah         ;VIDEO Function 00h: Change screen
    mov  al, 13h        ;Put the desired graphics mode into AL
    int  10h            ;Call VIDEO
 
  ;Prepare for writing to the video buffer
    mov  di, 0a000h     ;Put the video segment into DI
    mov  es, di         ; so it can easily be put into ES
    xor  di, di         ;Start writing at coordinates (0,0)

12.2  WRITING PIXELS TO THE SCREEN

Why is Mode 13h so popular?  To understand, you must know a few basic
facts.  In Mode 13h, the screen is 320 by 200, or 320 pixels across and 200
pixels down.  In each pixel, there's a possibility of 256 colors, which can
be fit into one byte.  Thus, 320*200*1 = 64000 bytes, about the size of one
segment.  Think of the screen as an array of colors.  The first row takes
up addresses A000:0000 to A000:013F (decimal 319), the second row takes up
addresses A000:0140 to A000:027F (decimal 639), and so on.  To plot a
pixel, assuming ES=A000:

  ;Plot a pixel in video mode 13h, where
  ;PixelAddress = (320 * Y) + X
    mov  ax, 320        ; Prepare for the multiplication  
    mul  [Y]            ; Assuming that Y is defined in the data segment
                        ;   earlier in the program
    mov  di, ax         ; Put in into the pointer to the offset of ES
    add  di, [X]        ; Assuming that X is defined in the data segment
                        ;   earlier in the program
    mov  al, [Color]    ; Assuming that Color is defined in the data
                        ;   segment earlier in the program
    stosb               ; Write it to the screen!

See how easy that was?  Something to remember is that it is zero-based. 
The upper-left corner is (0,0), and the lower-right is (319,199).  A
complete TASM Ideal mode procedure might look something like this (it
assumes that the video card is already set to mode 13h):
 
PROC WritePixel BASIC   ; Or whatever language you might want to link
                        ;  it to
    USES es, di         ; It's always a good idea to preserve ES and DI
    ARG  X:word, Y:word, Color:BYTE
    mov  di, 0a000h     ; Put the video segment into DI
    mov  es, di         ;   so it can easily be put into ES
    mov  ax, 320        ; Prepare for the multiplication
    mul  [Y]            ; Offset pointer by the Y value passed in
    mov  di, ax         ; Put in into pointer to the offset of ES
    add  di, [X]        ; Offset the pointer by the X value passed in
    mov  al, [Color]    ; Put color to be written to the screen in AL
    stosb               ; Write it to the screen!
    ret
ENDP WritePixel

To write a horizontal line, just put the length in CX, and replace the
STOSB with a REP STOSB.  Writing a vertical line is only a little more
tricky.  Observe the following TASM Ideal mode procedure:

PROC VerticalLine BASIC ; Or whatever language you might want to link
                        ;  it to
    USES es, di         ; It's always a good idea to preserve ES and
                        ;  DI
    ARG  X:word, Y:word, Color:BYTE, Length:word
    mov  di, 0a000h     ; Put the video segment into DI
    mov  es, di         ; so it can easily be put into ES
    mov  ax, 320        ; Prepare for the multiplication  
    mul  [Y]            ; Offset the pointer by the Y value passed in
    mov  di, ax         ; Put in into the pointer to the offset of ES
    add  di, [X]        ; Offset the pointer by the X value passed in
    mov  al, [Color]    ; Put the color to be written to the screen
                        ; in AL
    mov  cx, [Length]   ; Prepare for the loop
YLoop:
    stosb               ; Write it to the screen!
    add  di, 319        ; Move down one row (DI has already advanced
                        ;  once because of the STOSB, thus the 319)
    loop YLoop
    ret
ENDP VerticleLine

Observe how there is a tight loop that moves DI down one row each
iteration.

In short, the easiest way to write directly to the Mode 13h video buffer is
to think of the screen as just a 320 by 200 array of bytes, starting at
A000:0000.

Author: Michael Averbuch ([email-masked])
Last Change: 29 Dec 94

------------------------------

Subject: 13. Real Mode/Protected Mode

13.1  AVAILABILITY

[Note:  because of a crash at zfja-gate, the below information of files on
zfja-gate may not be accurate.]

All the files below are available from:
    ftp://zfja-gate.fuw.edu.pl/user/net/ka9q/guest/cpu/protect.mod

The authors e-mail addresses are given below.

These files can be received by e-mail.  Send e-mail to:

    [email-masked]

with GET CPU/PROTECT.MOD/PMFAQ/* in the text.

A .zip file with all the latest files described below has been uploaded to
SimTel but as of 19 Dec has not been made available for download.  The URL
to this file when available should be:

    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/asmutl/pmtut002.zip

Watch this site or for the upload announcement in the newsgroups.

13.2  FAQ - PMFAQ.ZIP

This file contains a preliminary protected mode FAQ by Jerzy Tarasiuk.

13.3  TUTORIAL - PMTUT002.ZIP

Till Gerken has written a Protected Mode Tutorial.  This tutorial contains
code and applicable function calls that comprise the Virtual Control
Program Interface (VCPI).  Till Gerken's tutorial is available:

    ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/pmode/pmtut002.zip

13.4  SAMPLE ASM CODE - SIMPL_PM.ASM

Jerzy Tarasiuk has posted an example program switching to Protected Mode
and back to again to Real Mode.

13.5 REAL MODE IDT SWITCHING - CHANGIDT.FAQ

Lastly Jerzy Tarasiuk has included some of his e-mail that covers real mode
IDT switching.

Contributors: Till Gerken, [email-masked], and 
              Jerzy Tarasiuk, [email-masked]
Last changed: 19 Dec 95

------------------------------

Subject: 14. Shareware ASM Libraries

14.1  ASMLIB PROGRAMMER'S TOOLKIT, VERSION 4.0

Douglas Herr's shareware assembly language library.  This library is
available from SimTel.

    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/asmutl/asmlib40.zip

The zip file contains only the medium model of the library.  There are 405
assembly subroutines in a .lib file and documentation.  Source code is
available with registration and extra fee.  The library covers the
following areas:
    string/integer data manipulation        screen mode subroutines
    text-mode multi-window subroutines      disk & file subroutines
    text-mode video subroutines             EMS and XMS subroutines
    floating-point subroutines              graphics
    keyboard input subroutines              mathematical solutions
    subroutines which determine PC status

asmlib40 also comes with an editor, E16, written entirely with asmlib.

Improvements since version 3.7 is auto-sizing of the near heap in the
startup code.  There have been some incremental improvements including
32k-color graphics and virtual graphics screens.

14.2  THE ASSEMBLY WIZARD'S LIBRARY, VERSION 2.1

This is Chris Walker's shareware assembly language library.  This library
used to be Thomas Hanlin's.

    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/asmutl/asmwiz21.zip 

This library comes with documentation and one .lib file that supports small
and tiny memory models.  Source code is available with registration. The
library covers the following areas:

    Base Conversions        Mouse Services
    Exception Handling      Sound and Music
    Delays and Countdowns   String Services
    File Handling           Telecommunications
    Filename Manipulation   Time and Date
    Keyboard Services       Video Services
    Long Integer Math       Miscellaneous Services
    Memory Services

14.3  UCR Standard Library for Assembly Language Programmers

This library is written by Randall Hyde and others.  This library is
available from many sites but most of them are seriously out of date.  You
can get the latest version at: 

    http://webster.ucr.edu/Page_asm/RHUCRLib.html

Unlike the previous libraries, there are no registrations fees and the
included source code is released to the public domain.  The author does
request that if you use the library, you contribute at least one routine to
the library.

    Standard Input Routines     Character Set Routines
    Standard Output Routines    Memory Management Routines
    Conversion Routines         String Handling Routines
    Utility Routines

14.4  ALIB Version 3.0

ALIB is Jeff Ownens' shareware assembly language library.  This library is
available from SimTel.

    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/asmutl/alib30.zip

Like the UCR library described above, registration fees are not requested. 
The library consists of 179 assembly source files covering the following
areas:

    compress    - data compression and expansion
    config      - program configuration, colors, paths, etc.
    compare     - compare strings
    convert     - hex/decimal/ascii conversions
    database    - simple database functions
    disk        - disk information, path changes, file searches
    display     - fast display functions, write to display memory
    error       - error handlers
    float       - simple floating point math package
    math        - dword math, crc, roots
    memory      - memory manager, extended, xms, ems, conventional
    menu        - menuing system
    message     - messages in windows on screen
    misc        - misc routines
    mouse/key   - mouse and keyboard functions
    parse       - extraction of parameters from command line
    random      - random number generators
    search      - search for character or string
    sort        - sort buffer or file
    sound       - sounds 
    string      - ascii string handling
    stdout      - characters, strings, spaces to stdout
    system      - system interrogation and setup
    time        - time and date conversions

14.5 FREELIB, Version 3.0

Freelib v3.0 is a library of 200 routines that may be useful for assembly
language programming.  Freelib includes routines that do many of the
tasks that make assembly language difficult - like buffered file I/O,
formatted string output, memory allocation, etc.  Also includes 16.16bit
fixed point arithmetic, text screen output (EGA 80x25 or VGA 90x34), and
VGA graphics in both 16 and 256 colors.  All routines are highly
optimized for size and speed, and average only 60 bytes each.  Full
source code and documentation is included for all routines.  Freelib is
public domain software, free for non-commercial use.  The library is
available from SimTel:

    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/asmutl/freeli30.zip

Contributor: Raymond Moon, [email-masked]
Last changed: 20 Dec 96