Subject: Publicly Accessible Mailing Lists
From: [email-masked] (Gene Spafford)
Date: 22 Jan 91 02:15:28 GMT
Newsgroups: news.lists,news.announce.newusers

Original-from: [email-masked] (Chuq Von Rospach)
[Most recent change: 20 Jan 1991 by [email-masked] (Gene Spafford)]

Quick Summary of Changes
------------------------
  Added since last list:
    30something ballroom	biosym		BMW	bread	cabot
    chem-e	dirt-users	Donosy		fsuucp	info-ingres
    joke-s	khoros		lojban		mr2-interest
    numeric-interest		picasso-users	sports-cards	T-E-L
    TolkLang

  Deleted since last list:
    C-futures	hunters	isi  rc-cars	war-worlds

  Changed since last list:
    AoN	  torg  towers  uk-motss   zepplin

Intro
-----
This is a list of mailing lists available primarily on the UUCP
network. A mailing list is different from a newsgroup because you do
not receive anything unless you specifically request it. To be added to
a mailing list, please mail a note to the contact for that list, listed
below.

Some of the lists mentioned may be available as limited-distribution
newsgroups.  Contact the administrator for exact details.

Please note the following caveats: publication of a list here does not
guarantee that you will be allowed to join as a member.  That is up to
the moderator and readers, and they have the right to restrict access
to their list as they see fit. Mailing lists use MUCH less system
overhead on a world-wide basis but do tend to increase loading on the
moderators' machines so the number of people that can be added to a list
may be limited by machine resources as well.

The Network Information Systems Center maintains a list of mailing
lists that exist primarily on the Internet.  That list overlaps this
one in a few places, but the lists are largely distinct.  A copy of
that list may be obtained by anonymous ftp from the site
ftp.nisc.sri.com (192.33.33.53) in the file "netinfo/interest-groups".
To add or delete an entry to that list, mail to
[email-masked].  If you cannot ftp a copy of the
list, and you are a CSnet subscriber, you can get a copy from the
CSnet info-server; mail to [email-masked] for instructions.

If you have a list that you want added to this posting or are interested in
starting a list but don't know how, drop me a note at [email-masked]

		    Groups listed in this posting

    12step		fsuucp			pagan
    30something		funky-music		Papa
    386users		gamedesign-philo	pc532
    3D			gnu-manual		pdp8-lovers
    ABC			Gouldbugs		Peru
    aeronautics		handicap		pharm
    aids		hang-gliding		picasso-users
    AIDS-stat		hey-joe			pipes
    aiuan		homebrew		porschephiles
    algeria-net		honda			posix-ada
    alife		horse			posix-testing
    Alspa		hyperami		PRL
    alternates		IBDlist			Quanta
    animal-rights	iclinfo			rc-flying
    anneal		impulse			recovery
    antique-radios	info-aids		REM
    antiques		info-altos		rush
    AoN			info-ccc		sappho
    argproc		info-encore		sca
    att-pc+		info-futures		SCO-list
    backstreets		info-gnu		scoodt
    ballroom		info-high-audio		scribe
    bears		info-ingres		security
    Between-the-lines	info-soar		SFER-l
    big-DB		info-solbourne		sil-info
    biosym		info-sparc		SkillsBank
    blackbird		info-tahoe		smail3-users
    BMW			info-vm			smail3-wizards
    bread		irclist			smiths-fans
    british-cars	islam			S-news
    cabot		italian-cars		sports-cards
    ca-firearms		iti151			srv4-admin
    cavers		jewish			stardent-users
    cdforum		joke-s			stormcock
    chalkhills		J-Pop			sun-386i
    chem-e		jump-in-the-river	sun-managers
    chem-talk		khoros			sun-nets
    christian		killifish		supercomputers
    C-IBM-370		kites			sysops
    cisco		lang-lucid		t3
    clu			lasnet			tadream
    CoCo		lds			tandy4k
    commune		LickVista		tartan-c
    compress		Linda			tcad
    cryonics		Logo			tcp-group
    CTIX-users		lojban			T-E-L
    ctree		martial-arts		testing-archive
    CUSSNET		matlab			testing-research
    cyberpunkRPG	mazda-list		thicva
    CZ			medphys			think-c
    decstation-managers	men			TolkLang
    derby		military		torg
    DGRD		mr2-interest		towers
    dirt-users		mtxinu-users		transputer
    Donosy		muscle-cars		traveller
    dreams		musicals		turnabout
    drwho-spoilers	mustangs		ucsd-empire
    Dual-personalities	mystery			uk-motss
    eastender		NativeNet		Unisys
    eclipse		Network-audio-bits	unix-pc-net
    EMS			newlists		UPS-alumni
    emtex-user		NewsCom			usenet.hist
    ensembles		ntp			usml
    Episcopal		nucmed			venezuela
    esperanto		numeric-interest	VMEbus
    ethology		objc			weights
    euro-moto		objectivism		whitewater
    feminists		objectivism-philosophy	wildnet
    ferrets		ocean.policy		windsurfing
    Fiction-Writers	ODA			x-ada
    film-makers		offroad			XGKS
    firearms		oracle			yello
    flashlife		orienteering		Yiddish
    f-mac		origami			Z-cars
    folk-dancing	OtherRealms		zeppelin
    framers		other-voices		zilog

		    Specific Information on Groups

12step
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Maurice Suhre)

    Purpose: To discuss/share experiences about 12 step programs
    such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, Alanon,
    ACA, etc.  Questions will also be answered.  Please include a
    phone number in case of trouble establishing an e-mail path.

30something
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Debbie Bloom)

    Purpose:  Discussion of the TV show by the same name, including
    actors, episodes, plots, characters, etc.

386users
    Contact: [email-masked] (William Davidsen, Jr.)

    Purpose:  Topics are 80386 based computers, and all hardware and
    software which is either 386-specific or which has special interest
    on the 386.

3d
    Contact: [email-masked] (Tom Neff)

    Purpose: Discussion of 3-D (stereo) photography. General info,
    hints, experiences, equipment, techniques, and stereo
    "happenings."  Anyone interested is welcome to join.

ABC
    Contact: [email-masked] (Steven Pemberton)

    Purpose: Discussion of the ABC Programming Language and its
    implementations. Information on ABC is available in "The ABC
    Programmer's Handbook", Leo Geurts et.al, Prentice Hall 1990; "An
    Alternative Simple Language and Environment for PCs", Steven
    Pemberton, IEEE Software, Vol. 4, No. 1, January 1987, pp. 56-64.;
    by ftp from mcsun.eu.net, file
    programming/languages/abc/abc.intro; and by mail-server from
    [email-masked]: send two-line message: "request
    programming/languages/abc" "topic abc.intro".

aeronautics
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: The "aeronautics" mailing list will be a moderated
    version of the sci.aeronautics newsgroup, and as such will deal
    with various technical aspects of aviation, such as human factors,
    airliner operations, avionics, and aerodynamics.  It will be a
    one-way feed (sci.aeronautics -> mailing list), unless sufficient
    demand requires that it go in the opposite direction.

aids
    Contact: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Greening)

    Purpose: A distribution list for people who can't read
    sci.med.aids.  Covers predominately medical issues of AIDS.  Some
    discussion of political and social issues.  Postings to AIDSNEWS
    and Health InfoCom News mailing lists are also carried.

    Unlike info-aids, postings to [email-masked] are
    NON-confidential.  The average number of postings to aids is about
    2 per day.  The average size of articles is very large
    (statistics, news summaries, etc.)  sci.med.aids and
    [email-masked] are moderated. (see also "info-aids" mailing
    list)

AIDS-stat
    Contact: [email-masked] (David Dodell)

    Purpose: AIDS-STAT is a moderated mailing list whose sole purpose
    is for the distribution of AIDS statistics from various agencies.
    The prime information being distributed will be the Center for
    Disease Control's monthly AIDS Surveillance Report.

aiuan
    Contact: [email-masked]  -or-
	     rutgers!hombre!aiuan-request (Kevin Axelson)
 
    Purpose:  Amnesty International "Urgent Action" letterwriting
    actions to protect victims of dire human rights abuse worldwide.  
    *Distribution limited to USA*

algeria-net
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Nasr Belkheir)

    Purpose:  a forum for discussion about political, cultural aspects
    of Algerian society.

alife
    Contact: [email-masked]   (Elisabeth Freeman,
                                                   Eric Freeman,
                                                   Marek Lugowski)
 
    Purpose: The alife mailing list is for communications regarding
    artificial life, a formative interdisciplinary field involving
    computer science, the natural sciences, mathematics, medicine and
    others.  The recent book _Artificial Life_, Christopher Langton, ed.,
    Addison Wesley, 1989 introduces the scope of artificial life as a field
    of study.  Alife was chartered in February 1990 at the Second Artificial
    Life Workshop, held in Santa Fe & organized by the Center for Nonlinear
    Studies at the Los Alamos National Laboratory and the Santa Fe
    Institute.  The list is intended primarily for low-volume, high-content
    scientific correspondence and as a publically accessible forum for the
    interested members of the public.  Membership as of July 1990 includes
    over 1,200 addresses on four continents.  There is an FTP-accessible
    archives/repository of past traffic, software and papers.  The list
    is maintained by the Artificial Life Research Group, Computer Science
    Department, Lindley Hall 101, Indiana University Bloomington, IN 47405.
    There are conditions on redistribution of the list in order to minimize
    any misunderstanding or exaggeration concerning this new area of study.

Alspa
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Brad Allen)

    Purpose:  Discussion by owners/users of the CP/M machines
    made by (now defunct) Alspa Computer, Inc.

alternates
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: Mail.alternates is a mail list for people who advocate,
    and/or practice an open sexual lifestyle. Its members are
    primarily bisexual men and women, and their SO's. Mail.alternates
    is intended as a forum, and support group for adult men and women
    who espouse their freedom of choice and imagination in human
    sexual relations, no matter what their orientaion. Those who are
    offended by frank, and uninhibited discussions relating to sexual
    issues should not subscribe.

    Moderator/Editor: Hank Buurman <[email-masked]>

animal-rights
    Contact: [email-masked] (Chip Roberson)

    Purpose: An unmoderated list for the discussion of Animal Rights.
    Peter Singer's book "Animal Liberation" proposes a "New Ethics for
    our Treatment of Animals" and many activist groups, such as PETA
    (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), regard this as the
    "Bible of the Animal Rights movement".  Consumers and researches
    alike are facing new questions concerning the human animals'
    treatment of the rest of the animal kingdom.  The purpose of this
    list is to provide students, researchers, and activists, a forum
    for discussing issues like:

	Animal Rights			Animal Liberation
	Consumer Product Testing	Cruelty-free products
	Vivisection/Dissection		Medical Testing
	Animals in Laboratories		Research using Animals
	Hunting/Trapping/Fishing	Animals in Entertainment
	Factory Farming			Fur
	Ecology				Environmental Protection
	Vegetarianism			Vegan lifestyles
	Christian Perspectives

anneal
    Contact: [email-masked] (Daniel R. Greening)

    Purpose: Discussion of simulated annealing techniques and
    analysis, as well as other related issues (stochastic
    optimization, Boltzmann machines, metricity of NP-complete move
    spaces, etc).
 
    Membership is restricted to those doing active research in
    simulated annealing or related areas.  Current membership is
    international, and about half of the members are published
    authors.  The list itself is unmoderated.

antiques
    Contact: [email-masked]   (Tom Adams)

    Purpose: The antiques mailing list is for discussions on general
    antiques and collectables.  Discussions on value, history, repair
    or general discussions about antiques are welcome.  Although
    for-sale ads are not encouraged, they are not prohibited.  There
    is a mailing list specifically devoted to antique-radio topics, so
    radio collectors should probally direct their attention to that
    list.  This group is set up as a mail reflector.

antique-radios
    Contact: [email-masked]   (Tom Adams)

    Purpose: The antique-radio mailing list is for discussions on
    antique radio, television and vintage electronics.  Discussions on
    value, history, repair or general discussions about early radio
    are welcome, as are discussions on books and magazines related to
    this topic.  Given the difficulty in finding early radio parts,
    wanted and for-sale ads are encouraged in this forum.  This group
    is set up as a mail reflector.
  
AoN
    Contact:  [email-masked] (Cliff Tuel)

    Purpose: The Art of Noise Mailing List is a forum for discussing
    anything about the British pop group Art of Noise, or any solo
    works by the band's members.  A discography is available, as are
    several other files of interest.

argproc
    Contact: rochester!srs!argproc-request    (Dan Kegel)

    Purpose: discussion about command-line processors like getopt().

att-pc+
    Contact:  [email-masked]  --or--
	      ...!{att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill  (Bill Kennedy)

    Purpose: For people interested in the AT&T PC 63xx series of
    systems.  Sub-lists are maintained for MS-DOS-only and Simul-Task
    mailings as well as the full list for items of general interest.
    Membership must be requested and mail path verification is
    required before membership is granted.

backstreets
    Contact: [email-masked]	(Marc Rouleau)

    Purpose: Our purpose is to discuss any and all issues likely to be
    of interest to people who enjoy Bruce Springsteen's music.

ballroom
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Shahrukh Merchant
                                               c/o MIT Ballroom Dance Club)

    Purpose: Discussion of any aspect of Ballroom dancing.  For
    instance: Places to dance, announcement of special events (e.g.,
    inter- university competitions), exchange of information about
    clubs, ballroom dance music, discussion of dances, steps, etc.

    Anyone may join; please send ALL of the following information: (1)
    Full name (2) Internet-compatible e-mail address (3) Affiliation,
    if any, with any ballroom dance organization or group (4) ZIP or
    postal code, and country if other than U.S.  (5) Whether you have
    access to Netnews (Yes/No/Don't know/Yes but don't use).

bears
    Contact: [email-masked] (Steve Dyer & Brian Gollum)
             ...!{harvard,ima,linus,mirror}!spdcc!bears-request

    Purpose: Mail.bears is a mailing list in digest format for gay
    and bisexual men who are bears themselves and for those who enjoy
    the company of bears.  The exact definition of a "bear" seems to
    be a personal one, but it encompasses men who are variously cuddly,
    furry, perhaps stocky, or bearded.  Mail.bears is designed to be a
    forum to bring together folks with similar interests for conversation,
    friendship and sharing of experiences.  The tone of mail.bears
    will be determined by its members, but people uncomfortable with
    discussing sexually explicit topics via electronic mail should
    not subscribe.

Between-the-lines
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Michael Scheel)

    Purpose: Debbie Gibson fans & discussion.

big-DB
    Contact: [email-masked]		(Fareed Asad-Harooni)

    Purpose: Discussions pertaining to large data bases (generally
    greater than 1 million records) and large data base management
    systems such as IMS, DB2, and CCA's Model/204. Anyone having
    interests in large data base issues is welcome.

biosym
    Contact: [email-masked] (Peter Shenkin)

    Purpose: For users of Biosym Technologies software.  This includes
    the products InsightII, Discover, Dmol, Homology, Delphi, and
    Polymer.  The list is not run by Biosym.

blackbird
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: Discuss Lockheed special project planes, particular the
    Blackbird (A-12, YF-12 and SR-71) and U-2 programs.

BMW
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Richard Welty)

    Purpose:  discussion of cars made by BMW.

bread
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Jeff Beadles)

    Purpose:  Discussion, recipes, and talk about home bread-making
    machines. 

british-cars
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Jim Muller)

    Purpose:  To discuss any and all aspects of owning, showing,
    repairing, driving, etc. British automobiles.

ca-firearms

    Contact: [email-masked] ([email-masked])

    Purpose: Announcement and discussion of California firearms
    legislation and laws.  The list is not moderated and membership is
    open to anyone.

cabot
    Contact: [email-masked] (Richard Welty)

    Purpose:  official mailing list of the New York State Institute
    for Sebastian Cabot Studies.

cavers
    Contact: [email-masked]   -or- 
		harvard!m2c!cavers-request (John D. Sutter)

    Purpose: Information resource and forum for all interested in
    exploring caves. To join, send a note to the above address
    including your geographical location as well as e-mail address;
    details of caving experience and locations where you've caved; NSS
    number if you have one; and any other information that might be
    useful.

cdforum
    Contact: uunet!samsung!wizvax!cdforum-request  (Stephanie P. Gilgut)

    Purpose: To provide support/discuss/share experiences about gender
    related issues; Crossdressing, Transvestism, Transsexualism, etc.
    This list is in Digest Format.

chalkhills
    Contact: [email-masked] (John M. Relph)

    Purpose: Chalkhills is a mailing list for the discussion of the
    music and records of XTC (the band).  Chalkhills is moderated and
    is distributed in a digest format.

chem-e
    Contact:  [email-masked] (Dr. Martyn Ray)

    Purpose:  An electronic newsletter on chemical engineering.

Chem-talk
    Contact: Dr. Manus Monroe, Chemistry Department, Marin Community College
	     ...!{ames,cbosgd}!pacbell!unicom!manus

    Purpose: As chemists, dialogue and conversation with other
    scientists are essential to stimulating or provoking new ideas.  As
    teachers and researchers, we can find the demands of our profession
    extensive, which may lead to a reduction in our ability to keep
    abreast of new data and changes in theories.  Sometimes,
    conversation helps to clarify articles, illuminate new perceptions
    of theories, and sustain us through our precarious journey in
    chemistry.  A solution to this problem or concern is the creation
    of efficient communication network using this mailing list.

christian
    Contact: ames!elroy!grian!mailjc-request
	     [email-masked]

    Purpose: To provide a non-hostile environment for discussion among
    christians.  Non-christians may join the list and "listen-in", but
    full blown debates between Christians and non-Christians are best
    carried out in talk.religion.misc or soc.religion.christian.

C-IBM-370
    Contact: {spsd,zardoz,felix,elroy}!dhw68k!C-IBM-370-request
	      [email-masked]  (David Wolfskill)

    Purpose: The C on IBM mainframes mailing list is a place to discuss
    aspects of using the C programming language on s/370-architecture
    computers -- especially under IBM's operating systems for that
    environment.

cisco
    Contact: [email-masked]	(David Wood)

    Purpose: This list is for discussion of the network products from
    Cisco Systems, Inc; primarily the AGS gateway, but also the ASM
    terminal multiplexor and any other relevant products.  Discussions
    about operation, problems, features, topology, configuration,
    protocols, routing, loading, serving, etc are all encouraged.
    Other topics include vendor relations, new product announcements,
    availability of fixes and new features, and discussion of new
    requirements and desirables.

clu
    Contact: [email-masked]    -or-
             [email-masked]  (Matti Jokinen)

    Purpose:  Exchange of CLU software and technical discussion of
    related topics.

CoCo
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Eric Tilenius)

    Purpose: Discussion related to the Tandy Color Computer (any
    model), OS-9 Operating System, and any other topics relating to the
    "CoCo", as this computer is affectionately known.

    Anyone wishing to be on the list should send me mail.  UUCP users,
    PLEASE NOTE: I need a nearby Internet or BITNET node to get things
    through to you reliably, so please send me a path in the form:
		  [email-masked]
commune
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Dan Bernstein)

    Purpose: To discuss the COMMUNE protocol, a TELNET replacement.
    The list is a mail reflector, [email-masked].
compress
    Contact: {decvax,ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!joe

    Purpose: discussions about file compression, especially Lempel-Ziv
    algorithms.

cryonics
    Contact: ...att!whscad1!kqb  -or-  [email-masked]   (Kevin Q. Brown)

    Purpose: Cryonic suspension is an experimental procedure whereby
    patients who can no longer be kept alive with today's medical
    abilities are preserved at low temperatures for treatment in the
    future.  This list is a forum for topics related to cryonics,
    which include biochemistry of memory, low temperature biology,
    legal status of cryonics and cryonically suspended people,
    nanotechnology and cell repair machines, philosophy of identity,
    mass media coverage of cryonics, new research and publications,
    conferences, and local cryonics group meetings.

CTIX-users
    Contact: [email-masked]
	     ...!atha!ctix-users-request  (Lyndon Nerenberg)

    Purpose: The CTIX-USERS mailing list is a forum for discussion of
    the various aspects of the CTIX operating system from Convergent
    Technologies. Topics include bug reports and fixes, postings of
    short utility programs for system administrators, reports on new OS
    releases and application software updates, as well as a variety of
    other subjects.

    The list is currently unmoderated, and includes sites in North
    America, Europe, and Australia.

ctree
    Contact:  alberta!oha!ctree-request  (Tony Olekshy)
    
    Purpose: The C-Tree mailing list provides a forum for the
    discussion of FairCom's C-Tree, R-Tree, and D-Tree products.  This
    mailing list is not associated with FairCom.  We have over three dozen
    members, amd cover virtually all hardware and operating system
    ports.

CUSSNET (Computer Users in the Social Sciences)
    Contact:  [email-masked]
                 -or-
    {gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!cussnet-request

    Purpose: CUSSNET (Computer Users in the Social Sciences) is a
    network of students, faculty, and professionals working in a
    variety of social science/social service settings and who have
    concerns with practice, education, ethics, computerization, and
    career advancement, to name a few.  Many of the participants are
    students of social work, practicing social workers or social work
    educators; however, anyone with an interest in the human
    services/social sciences/social services areas is welcome to
    participate.  Recent topics have included ethics, computerization
    concerns, social work education topics, job announcements, and
    adaptive technology topics.

cyberpunkRPG
    Contact: [email-masked] (Steven J. Owens)

    Purpose: 	The cyberpunk mailing list is primarly for the
    discussion of cyberpunk role-playing games.  The discussion is not
    limited to any game system.  Subjects of a peripheral nature are
    welcome as long as they don't get out of hand.  There is one one
    rule on this mailing list: the moderator gets to add new rules at
    will.

CZ
    Contact: [email-masked] (Ted Kim)

    Purpose: The purpose of the "The Convergence Zone" (or CZ for
    short) is to discuss the Harpoon naval wargame series and related
    topics. This includes Harpoon, Captain's Edition Harpoon, Computer
    Harpoon, Harpoon SITREP and various supplements for print and
    computer versions. Naval topics are discussed in so far as they
    are related to the game or provide useful background. Discussion
    is moderated. CZ is packaged in a digest format. Listeners as well
    as contributors are welcome.

decstation-managers
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Fast-turnaround troubleshooting tool for managers of
    RISC DECstations.

derby
    Contact: [email-masked]  (John Wilkes)

    Purpose: To discuss various aspects and strategies of Horse
    Racing, primarily dealing with, but not limited to, handicapping.
    Anyone is free to join.

DGRD
    Contact: [email-masked] (Dave Taylor)

    Purpose: The digital games review digest is devoted to computer
    and video game reviews.  We're interested in just about any games
    that run on computers, including IBM PC, Atari, Amiga, Macintosh,
    Apple II and Unix computers, as well as video games for the
    Nintendo, Sega, NEC, Atari, and so on.  We also cover games for
    the portable market (e.g. the Atari Lynx and Nintendo GameBoy).

    This is a *REVIEWS ONLY* mailing list, with all submissions edited
    to fit into a common and consistent format.  Discussion of the
    relative merits of different gaming computers, technical
    discussion of resolution required to display 3D graphics, and
    general flaming and hostility will be left to the many different
    forums appropriate for that type of discussion.

dirt-users
    Contact:  [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Dirt is an X11-based UIMS.

Donosy
    Contact:  [email-masked]  (Przemek Klosowski)

    Purpose:  Distribution of a news bulletin from Poland.
    English and Polish versions are both avaialble.

dreams
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Andrew Reynhout)

    Purpose: To discuss the topics asociated with dreaming, such as:
    personal experiences; present literature on the subject;
    'psychological' theories and 'occult' theories; the differences
    between a 'lucid' and a 'normal' dream; the purpose of dreams; etc.
    Discussion is therefore extended to all areas of dreams, perhaps
    also including altered state of consciousness, if deemed relevant.

drwho-spoilers
    Contact:  terminus!nyssa  (James Armstrong, Jr.)

    Purpose:  Branched off of rec.arts.drwho is a list for "Spoilers",
    which is intended to distribute news about upcoming seasons and
    discussion on recently released episodes and keep it away from the
    eyes of people who would rather not know until they see the shows
    themselves.
    		*** This group is currently inactive. ***

Dual-Personalities
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: Discussion, maintenance/survival tips, and commercial
    offerings for the System/83 UNIX box made by the now-defunct DUAL
    Systems Corp of Berkeley, as well as similar machines using the
    IEEE-696 bus (such as the CompuPro 8/16E with Root/Unisoft UNIX).

eastender
    Contact: [email-masked]
    
    Purpose: Discussion of the BBC serial "EastEnders" as it is
    broadcast within the US.  UK'ers are invited, but be warned we're
    about two years behind the UK series.

eclipse
    Contact: [email-masked]  (John C. Orthoefer)

    Purpose: Info and commentary on the musical group Pink Floyd
    as well as other projects members of the group have been 
    involved with.

EMS
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Rich Hemmer)

    Purpose: The purpose of the EMS mailing list is to share ideas,
    training aspects, problems, solutions, EMS calls, and other aspects
    of the Emergency Medical Service life.

    The nature of the submissions could include: a hard diagnosis on a
    call, a rough / problem type call with solutions, training in
    general, training equipment new vs. old, new ideas in patient care,
    new protocols local / state / national, volunteer professionals
    vs.  paid professionals, etc.

emtex-user
    Contact: [email-masked] (Vera Heinau & Heiko Schlichting)
         or: [email-masked] 

    Conversation language: German!  Purpose: Informationen ueber das
    Programm emTeX, die zur Zeit beste Implementation von TeX auf
    MS-DOS und OS2 Rechner. Informationen ueber neue Updates, Bugs und
    Bezugsquellen.

ensembles
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Art Smith)
             ...!uunet!wucs1!dinorah!brass-request

    Purpose: A discussion group for people interested in small musical
    ensembles, particularly brass quintets.  It is unmoderated at
    present.

Episcopal
    Contact:	dragon!digest   (Cindy Smith)

    Purpose: Episcopal Digest is a forum for Episcopalians as well as
    members of the worldwide Anglican Catholic Communion who wish to
    discuss matters pertaining to Christianity in general, Episcopal
    Church matters in particular, and related topics.  Discussions on
    ecumenism are encouraged.

esperanto
    Contact: [email-masked] (Mike Urban)

    Purpose: This list is a forum for people interested in the neutral
    international language Esperanto.  Discussions about the language
    itself, the Esperanto movement, publications, and news are
    encouraged; of course, discussion *in* the language itself are
    especially encouraged, although English translations may be
    advisable when the material is of interest to beginners or
    non-Esperantists.

ethology
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Jarmo Saarikko)

    Purpose: An unmoderated mailing list for the discussion of animal
    behaviour and behavioural ecology. Possible topics could be e.g.
    new or controversial theories, new research methods, and equipment.
    Announcements of books, papers, conferences, new software for
    behavioural analysis etc., with possible experiences, are also 
    encouraged.

f-mac
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Bill Runyan)

    Purpose: Information on commentary on the musical group Fleetwood
    Mac as well as any work or projects that any of the members have
    been involved with.  Such as the solo work of singer Stevie Nicks.

euro-moto
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Al Bowers)
                or
             [email-masked]  (Al Bowers)
 
    Purpose: Topics covering all aspects of European motorcycles, for
    enthusiasts of pavement, dirt, classic, modern, rare or common
    European motorcycles.

feminists
    Contact: [email-masked]	(Patricia Collins)

    Purpose: The feminist mailing list is intended to provide a forum
    for discussion of issues of interest to women, in a friendly
    atmosphere. The basic tenets of feminism and the day-to-day
    experiences of women do not have to be explained or defended.  Men
    and women can join, but everyone requesting to be added to the
    mailing list MUST provide the moderator with: 1) a full name; 2) a
    complete uucp path to a well-known host or a fully specified
    Internet address; 3) the correspondent's gender (for records and
    statistics only).  NO exceptions.

ferrets
    Contact: [email-masked] (Chris Lewis)
	     {utzoo,utai,attcan}!lsuc!gate!eci386!ferret-request

    Purpose: This is a mailing list for people who have or are merely
    interested in ferrets (Mustela Furo).  Discussions are welcome on
    any subject relating to ferrets -- suitability as pets, health
    information, funny ferret stories etc.

Fiction-Writers
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Doug Roberts)

    Purpose: The Fiction Writers Group exists for two purposes:

      To give people interested in writing fiction professionally a
      support group of peers for where information can be shared and
      discussions of the task of writing can be carried on.

      To create an environment where Works In Progress can be passed
      around and criticized so that the author can find the weak spots
      and polish the manuscript into a salable work.

    The group has handled mostly Science Fiction, Fantasy, and related
    genres, but is not restricted to them.  Membership is open to
    anyone who has in interest in writing fiction regardless of
    previous experience or published/unpublished status.

    Members must be prepared to regularly contribute either by
    critiquing the work of others or presenting work for critique.

film-makers
    Contact: [email-masked] (Dermot Tynan)

    Purpose: This mailing list is for amateur and independent
    filmmakers.  It covers everything from script-writing to
    distribution, and is geared toward 8mm, 16mm and video.  The list
    is not moderated.  NOTE: you don't have to be an active filmmaker
    to subscribe.

firearms
    Contact: osu-cis!firearms-request	--or--
	     [email-masked]

    Purpose: The mailing list firearms has been created to provide
    an environment in which sportsmen can discuss issues of concern to
    them.  Topics include but are not limited to hunting, firearms
    safety, legal issues, reloading tips, maintenance suggestions,
    target shooting, and dissemination of general info. Anyone is
    welcome to join -- note that we do NOT intend to discuss the merits
    of gun control.

flashlife
    Contact: [email-masked] (Carl Rigney)

    A mailing list for GMs of Shadowrun and other cyberpunk
    roleplaying games to discuss rules, scenarios, ask questions,
    make up answers, and similar fasfax.

folk-dancing
    Contact:	[email-masked]	(Terry J. Wood)
		{allegra,bellcore,cadre}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw
		[email-masked]

    Purpose: Any discussion of FOLK dancing. Areas of dance would
    include, but not be limited to: international, contra, square,
    western square morris, cajun, and barn dancing, etc.

    Please feel free to discuss such things as touring groups,
    artists, camps, workshops, styling, equipment, recordings, and so
    on.  This mailing list also welcomes queries about where to find
    dance groups and how to get started dancing.

    Please note that the Folk Dancing Mailing List (FDML) operates in
    conjunction with the USENET newsgroup Rec.folk-dancing.  Material
    in Rec.folk-dancing appears in the FDML.  This mailing list is
    primarily for people who can not (or do not wish to) receive
    USENET.

    When subscribing to the FDML, please include several computer mail
    addresses AND a postal mail address (or phone number) as a last
    resort.

framers
    Contact uunet!apctrc!drd!framers-request
            [email-masked] (Mark Lawrence)
    
    Purpose: A users forum for sharing of experiences and information
    about the framemaker desktop publishing package from Frame
    Technologies.  The framemaker package is mainly prevalent on Suns
    but those using the DECWriter product under DECWindows may notice
    some _amazing_ similarities between the two and may have interest
    in this list.

fsuucp
    Contact: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Ambler)

    Purpose: The FSUUCP mailing list is for the discussion, bug
    hunting, feature proposing, and announcements of the availability
    and release dates of FSUUCP, an MSDOS UUCP/mail/news package.
    FSUUCP is shareware, and includes uucico/uuxqt (with support for
    rmail and rnews (single, batched and compressed batch)), as well
    as readnews, postnews, mail, expire, uuq, uusnap, uulog, and a
    host of utilities.

funky-music
    Contact: [email-masked] (George Zipperlen) -or-
      ...!rutgers!super.upenn.edu!apollo.lap.upenn.edu!funky-music-request

    Purpose: The funky-music mailing list is for the discussion of funk
    music, as well as rap, hip-hop, soul, r&b, and related varieties.
    Discussions of zydeco, reggae, salsa, soca, and similar gutsy
    street music are also welcome.

    Funk music is based on the rhythmic innovations pioneered by James
    Brown.  Other notable artists in the genre are Parliament,
    Funkadelic, War, Earth Wind and Fire, the Meters, and Mandrill.

    Funky music has a dance-able beat to it, a soulful feel, and an
    underlying intelligence.  All the varieties of music mentioned
    above, are funky.

gamedesign-philo
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Aryeh Friedman)

    Purpose:The pupose of this list is to discuse the ideas and
    techniques of game-design.  It is not intended to be a place for
    flames, source code, or other junk mail type messages.

    The list is not a part or have any connection to game-designsr run
    by Scott D. Yelich.  Also as most people on the list belong to
    both so crossposting is discourged, but allowed with the
    moderator's approval of the list being crossposted to.

    The kind of things I like to see are:
    * New concepts, rules wise, in various types of games
    * Food for thought
    * Points and tips on playtesting
    * etc.

gnu-manual
    Contact:
    	internet: [email-masked]
    	usenet:   uiucdcs!gnu-manual
    
    Purpose: "gnu-manual" members are volunteers who write, proofread,
    and comment on documents for a GNU Emacs Lisp programmers' manual.

Gouldbugs
    Contact: [email-masked] 	-or-
	     ...{decvax,bellcore}!utah-cs!gouldbugs-request

    Purpose: This list is aimed at system administrators of Gould
    series machines. Discussion should be limited to Gould specific
    problems and/or questions. Anyone is welcome to join the list.  The
    list is not moderated, but is simply a mail forwarder.

handicap
    Contact: ...!{decvax,philabs}!bunker!wtm

    Purpose:  The Handicap Digest provides an information/discussion
    exchange for issues dealing with the physically/mentally
    handicapped.  Topics include, but are not limited to: medical,
    education, legal, technological aids and the handicapped in
    society.

    Note: The articles from the Handicap Digest are also posted in the
    Usenet Newsgroup, "misc.handicap".

hang-gliding
    Contact: [email-masked]	(Fareed Asad-Harooni)

    Purpose: Topics covering all aspects of hang-gliding and ballooning,
    for ultra-light and lighter-than-air enthusiasts.

    A second list may be joined by mailing to
    [email-masked] (Galen Hekhuis).

hey-joe
    Contact: [email-masked] (Joel Abbott)

    Purpose:  Discussion and worship of Jimi Hendrix and his music.
    Although Jimi has been dead for about 2 decades, we feel that
    his music is still worthy to be recognized.  Prerequisite to
    joining:  appreciation for his music.

homebrew
    Contact: [email-masked]
          or ...!hplabs!hpfcmr!homebrew-request (Rob Gardner)

    Purpose: Forum on Beer, homebrewing, and related issues. Though
    mainly intended for discussion of beer making, also welcome are
    discussions on making cider, mead, wine, or any other fermented
    (but not distilled) beverage. Beginners are welcomed as well 
    as experienced brewers.

honda
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Rob Malouf)

    Purpose: Discussion of Honda and Acura automobiles.

horse
    Contact: {decvax,harvard}!bbn!horse-request
             [email-masked]    (Ken Rossen)

    Purpose: Discussion of things equestrian.  Horse enthusiasts of
    all disciplines and levels of experience are welcome.  Articles
    are distributed periodically in digest format, and also appear
    individually in the Usenet newsgroup "rec.equestrian".

hyperami
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Robin LaPasha)

    Purpose:  Discussion of Amiga computer hypermedia/multimedia
    products and applications.

IBDlist
    Contact: [email-masked] (Thomas Lapp) --or--
             ...!udel!mvac23!IBDlist-request

    Purpose: IBDlist is a moderated mailing list which discusses all
    aspects of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, with particular emphasis
    on Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis.  Anyone with an
    interest in these diseases, whether direct or indirect is welcome.
    This list will also act as a clearinghouse for information and
    discussion of current treatments, research, and other information
    related to IBDs.  This list is open to any interested party and is
    not restricted to those with a direct link to IBD.

iclinfo
    Contact: {obdient,tfd}!tons61!iclinfo

    Purpose: To update and relay information regarding the CCI/ICL
    processors.  Including information on product updates, product
    problems, service problems and information, system options, and
    information on CCI/ICL from "off-line" sources.....(i.e. Inside
    "scoops" direct from "hidden" CCI/ICL sources.

impulse
    Contact:  [email-masked]  (Kevin Braunsdorf)

    Purpose:  A low-volume list for users of the LPC Mpulse line of
    computers.  The moderator does filter and journalize submissions.

info-aids
    Contact: [email-masked]	--or--
	     {pacbell,apple,hoptoad,ucbvax}!well!rainbow!info-aids  (Ken Davis)

    Purpose: to act as a clearinghouse for information, and discussion
    about AIDS, including alternative treatments, political
    implications, etc.   Exchanges files with [email-masked].
    Open to anyone with the time and inclination to participate.
    Mailing list will be confidential and known only to the members.
    Anonymous postings will be accepted.  (See also "aids" mailing list)

info-altos
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Jim O'Connor & Mike Johnson)

    Purpose: Information and discussion about Altos computers.

info-ccc
    Contact: uunet!xurilka!info-ccc-request (Luigi Perrotta)

    Purpose: The info-ccc mailing list will be devoted to the
    Concurrent C and Concurrent C++ programming languages.  However,
    discussions can be anything relevant to concurrent programming.

info-encore
    Contact: [email-masked]	--or--
	     [email-masked]	  (Dan Burrows)

    Purpose: Mailing list for discussion of issues involving hardware
    and software issues of Encore computers and ethernet terminal
    servers.

    This mailing list is also gatewayed into the inet list, 
    comp.sys.encore

info-futures
    Contact: harvard!bu-cs!info-futures-request		-or-
	     [email-masked]

    Purpose: To provide a speculative forum for analyzing current and 
    likely events in technology as they will affect our near future in
    computing and related areas.

info-gnu
    Contact:
    	[email-masked]	--or--
    	ucbvax!prep.ai.mit.edu!info-gnu-request

    Purpose: to distribute progress reports on the GNU Project, headed
    by Richard Stallman, and to ask members for various kinds of help.
    The list is gated both ways with the alternative newsgroup
    "gnu.announce," and is filtered (weakly moderated) by Leonard H.
    Tower Jr.  GNU, which stands for Gnu's Not Unix, is the name for a
    complete Unix-compatible software system whose sources can be given
    away free to everyone.  Major parts have already been written;
    major parts still remain undone.  Project GNU has additional
    mailing lists to distribute information about specific GNU
    programs, and to report bugs in them.  Contact us at the above
    address for details.

info-high-audio
    Contact: [email-masked] (Thomas Krueger)

    Purpose: This list is for the exchange of subjective comments about
    high end audio equipment and modifications performed to high end
    pieces.  Techniques used to modify equipment, especially, but not
    limited to, vacuum tube electronics are exchanged. Some comments
    may be subjective or intuitive and may not yet have a measurable
    basis. Other topics of discussion include turntables, arms and
    cartridges; preamplifiers, headamps and cartridge matching;
    speakers, amplifiers and matching; placement of speakers, and room
    treatments. Any comments that prevent an open exchange of ideas and
    techniques are not encouraged.

    Archives of projects will be maintained on csd4.csd.uwm.edu and
    available via anonymous ftp.  Info-High-Audio is bi-directionally
    gatewayed with the USENET newsgroup rec.audio.high-end.

info-ingres
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  To discuss the commercial version of Ingres.

info-soar
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Lex Mierop)

    Purpose: Discussion of radio-controlled soaring.  This mailing
    list is an unmoderated forum for the discussion of all topics
    relating to RC soaring/gliders.  Design, building and flying are
    the main topics of interest.  This list is open to any interested
    party, but anyone subscribing will be expected to contribute to
    the group.  (Asking questions is contributing!)

info-solbourne
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Paul Graham)

    Purpose:  Discussions & info about Solbourne computers.

info-sparc
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Mark Linimon)

    Purpose: Technical information relating to the SPARC architecture
    that is too specific for the general Usenet audience of
    comp.sys.sun, comp.arch, and/or comp.newprod.

irclist
    Contact:  [email-masked]

    Purpose: discussion about the Internet Relay Chat program.

info-tahoe
    Contact:	[email-masked]  --or--
		uwm!info-tahoe-request   (Jim Lowe)

    Purpose: Discussions pertaining to the Tahoe type of CPU.  These
    include the CCI Power 6/32, the Harris HCX/7, and the Sperry 7000
    series computers.

    The info-tahoe mailing list is set up as a mail reflector.

    This mailing list is also gatewayed into the inet list, 
    comp.sys.tahoe

info-vm
    Contact: [email-masked] (Kyle Jones, and others)

    Purpose: Discussion and information exchange about the VM mail
    reader, which runs under GNU Emacs.

islam
    Contact: [email-masked]    -or-
	{oddjob,laidbak,chinet}!nucsrl!islam-request	(Naim Abdullah)

    Purpose: To discuss the basic tenets of Islam and interpretations
    of the Quran.  The list is not for discussing the validity of
    Islam or any political issues.

italian-cars
    Contact: [email-masked] (richard welty)
	       -or-   ...!uunet!sol.crd.ge.com!italian-cars-request

    Purpose: discussion of italian-made automobiles

iti151
    Contact:    [email-masked]   (Paul O'Neill)
	        {tektronix, hplabs!hp-pcd}!orstcs!oce.orst.edu!iti151-request

    Purpose: For users of Imaging Technology's series 150 and 151 image
    processing systems and ITEX151 software.  The goal is to share
    algorithms, code, tricks, pitfalls, advice, etc. in an effort to
    decrease development time and increase functionality for the users
    of these systems.  (Also, despite their good support, we customers
    may want to gang up on ITI someday!!)

J-Pop:
    Contact:   [email-masked] (Shin Kurokawa)

    The purpose of this group is mainly for discussing contemporary
    Japanese pop/rock music.  We'll have reviews and comments on the
    latest (and the old) ``Hits'', singles, albums, etc., as well as
    on the various works that each of us may already have or acquire.
    We'll also discuss the availability of Japanese pop music on
    records, tapes, cd's etc., away from Japan. Since many of our most
    active members are actually in Japan, our list is also a very good
    source of news concerning Japan's pop music scene (and more).

jewish
    Contact: [email-masked] (Avi Feldblum)

    Purpose: The mailing list provides a non-abusive forum for
    discussion of Jewish topics with an emphasis on Jewish law.
    Debates between Jews and non-Jews or between various factions of
    Judaism should be posted to talk.religion.misc or soc.culture.jewish.

joke-s
    Contact:  [email-masked]  (Gunter Ahrendt)

    Purpose:  Daily posting of jokes extracted from aus.jokes,
    rec.humor, and rec.humor.funny.  Specify preference: clean, dirty,
    or both.

jump-in-the-river
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Michael C. Berch)
    -or- {apple,ames,rutgers}!bionet!ig!jump-in-the-river-request

    Purpose: Jump-in-the-river is a mailing list for the discussion of
    the music and recordings of Sinead O'Connor, and related matters
    such as lyrics, tour information.  Unmoderated.

khoros
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: to discuss the khoros software package, developed by Dr.
    Rasure, his staff, and his students at the University of New
    Mexico.  Khoros is an integrated software development environment
    for information processing and visualization, based on X11R4.

killifish
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: For people who keep and are interested in killifish, (family
    cyprinodontidae).

kites
    Contact: 
    (USA/Canada/Europe):
	[email-masked]    harvard!kites-request
    (Japan):
	koscvax.keio.junet!kites-request

    Purpose: This mailing list is for people interested in making,
    flying, or just talking about all kinds of kites.  Topics will (I
    hope) include kite plans and construction techniques, reviews of
    commercially available kites and plans, timely (or otherwise) human
    interest notes, and talk about flying.

lang-lucid
    Contact:   [email-masked]  (R. Jagannathan)

    Purpose: Discussions on all aspects related to the language Lucid,
    including (but not restricted to) language design issues,
    implementations for personal computers, implementations for
    parallel machines, language extensions, programming environments,
    products, bug reports, bug fixes/workarounds.

lasnet
    Contact:	[email-masked]	(Langston James Goree VI)

    Purpose: To facilitate the exchange of information among scholars
    doing research related to Latin America.

lds
    Contact: [email-masked]	   -or-    decwrl!lds-request

    Purpose: a forum for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of
    Latter-Day Saints (mormons) to discuss church doctrine, mormon
    culture and life in general.  Non-members are welcome to join, but
    we're not interested in flame wars.  

LickVista
     Contact: [email-masked] (Steve Allen)

     Purpose: Discussion of the use and development of the Vista
     astronomical data reduction package which originated at
     Lick Observatory.

Linda
    Contact: [email-masked]
	     [email-masked]
	     {cmcl2,decvax,harvard}!yale!linda-users-request

    Purpose:  Discussion group for users and potential users of Linda
    based parallel programming systems.  Linda is a set of operators
    that are added to various conventional programming languages to
    produce a parallel programming language.

lojban
    Contact: [email-masked]  (John Cowan)

    Purpose: To use, discuss, and contribute to the development of the
    constructed human language called Lojban (known in earlier
    versions as Loglan).  Lojban has a grammar based on predicate
    logic, and vocabulary built from the six most widely spoken human
    languages.  It is intended as a tool for experimental linguistics,
    as a medium for communication with computers, and as a possible
    international auxiliary language.

    Lojban-list is an unmoderated mail reflector.  New subscribers are
    asked to send their postal mailing addresses as well, so that they
    can be placed on the mailing list of The Logical Language Group,
    Inc., a non-profit organization.  The postal mailing list provides
    materials that are useful in learning about the language.
    Lojban-list and LLG, Inc. are in no way affiliated with The Loglan
    Institute, Inc., or with James Cooke Brown, the founder of Loglan.

Logo
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Discuss the Logo computer language.

martial-arts
    Contact:   martial-arts-requestdragon.cso.uiuc.edu (Steven Miller)

    Purpose: The martial arts mailing list is for discussion on
    various aspects of the martial arts.  This includes teaching and
    training techniques, martial arts philosophy, self-defense,
    traditional and non-traditional styles, among others.

Matlab
    Contact: [email-masked] (Chris Bischof)

    Purpose: Discussion group for users and potential users of the
    MATLAB numeric computation software from The MathWorks.  MATLAB is
    an interactive matrix-oriented product for linear algebra, digital
    signal processing, equation solving, control system design, and
    other engineering and scientific applications.  This mailgroup is
    administered by the independent MATLAB User Group.
	
mazda-list
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Joel Abbott)

    Purpose:  Technical correspondance and discussion of
    Mazda-designed vehicles.

medphys
    Contact: ...!mcnc!godot!medphys-request
    Submissions: ...!mcnc!godot!medphys

    Purpose:  An attempt to foster electronic communication between
    medical physicists, open to interested others.  Medical physics is
    a somewhat opaque but widely used synonym for radiological physics
    -- the physics of the diagnostic and therapeutic use of radiation
    in medicine.  At present most of the subscribers are involved in
    radiotherapy.

men
    Contact: attunix!mail-men-request
           [email-masked] (Marcel Franck Simon)

    Purpose: This digested mailing list discusses "men's issues."
    Both women and men may join. Mail-men is a place where men and
    women can discuss men's issues in an atmosphere of openness and
    support. Men's issues are those problems and experiences that
    affect male humans.

military
     Contact: [email-masked] (Bill Thacker)

     Purpose: Discussion of military technology, and related issues.
     This group is gatewayed to and from the Usenet newsgroup
     sci.military; all postings to the group are echoed to the list,
     and vice-versa.  Both the group and list are moderated to
     prevent political flammage.

mr2-interest
    Contact: [email-masked] (David Hough)

    Purpose:  Discussion of Toyota MR2's, old and new.

mtxinu-users
    Contact: dunike!mtxinu-users-request 
	     [email-masked]

    Purpose: Discussion and bug fixes for users of the 4.3+NFS release
    from the Mt. Xinu folks.
 
muscle-cars
    Contact [email-masked]
            or {ames,hplabs,att,...}!pacbell!sorinc!muscle-cars-request

    Purpose: To offer a forum where other "muscle car" enthusiasts can
    offer advice, share their problems and solutions, discuss
    technical issues, racing, buying or selling parts, cars, or
    services, or just to discuss cars and swap stories with others.
    Flames and "car wars" ("my car is better/faster than yours") are
    discouraged.

    This list is not moderated, so all submissions will be reflected to
    the others on the list without editing.

musicals
    Contact: [email-masked]    (Elizabeth A. Lear)

    Purpose:  We discuss musicals, both movie and stage, (although
    about 90% of the articles concern stage productions and Broadway in
    particular). Discussion is meant to be more or less light-hearted
    and not bogged down with aesthetics.  This is a place for
    circulating information and opinions, not a theater critics'
    forum.  We discuss productions, ticket information, recordings,
    proper Sondheim-appreciation-and worship, upcoming shows and
    Broadway-related gossip.

mustangs
    Contact [email-masked]   (Gary Gitzen)
		or {hplabs,sun,uunet}!hpda!mustangs-request

    Purpose: To discuss/share technical issues, problems, solutions,
    and modifications relating to late model Ford Mustangs.  Flames and
    "my car is faster than your car" mailings are discouraged.

mystery
    Contact: [email-masked] (Thomas Krueger)

    Purpose: Mystery is a mailing list for mystery and detective
    fiction. Reviews of works and discussions of plot,
    characterization, and other aspects will be discussed. The medium,
    whether novel, movie, or television series, is unimportant.

NativeNet
    Contact: [email-masked] (Gary S. Trujillo)

    Purpose: To provide information about and to discuss issues
    relating to indigenous people around the world, and current
    threats to their cultures and habitats (e.g. rainforests).

Network-Audio-Bits
    Contact: [email-masked]   (Michael A. Murphy)

    Purpose: Network Audio Bits & Audio Software Review is a
    bi-monthly electronic magazine that features reviews of and
    information about current rock, pop, new age, jazz, funk, folk and
    other musical genres.  A mixture of major label artists and
    independent recording artists can be found reviewed in these
    'pages'.

newlists
    Contact: [email-masked]   (Marty Hoag)

    Purpose:  This is a mailing list "clearing house" for new mailing
    lists.  Subscribers will get announcements of new lists that are
    mailed to this list.

NewsCom
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Lance Sanders)
    Purpose: To make available synergies discerned in, and created
    from, print news media (up to a 12-year time-span).  Many "facts,"
    particulary scientific ones, have a habit of changing with time.
    NewsCommando shows extreme prejudice toward those articles whose
    contents exhibit "legs." The depth of insight possible using the
    information mosaic method can be staggering. A form of electronic
    magazine, NewsCommando can serve as a reference tool, offer unique
    jump-off points for Medline, PaperChase, or other searches, and,
    in many ways, is the "poor-man's IdeaFisher/IdeaBank."  Vol. 1
    will contain the following articles:
       ChemTao: Synergies In the Life Sciences
       EarthWatch1: Defining the Scope of Environmental Destruction
       Why Euthanasia Must Never Be Legalized
    Use "NewsCom request" in the "Subject:" field of message headers.
    Indicate article title(s) desired or "all" in body of message.
    Articles will be deposited in your mailbox with a "NewsCom/Vol.#"
    Subject header.  Most will be in excess of 20K.  Please group-save
    them to a file for later reading.

nucmed
    Contact: [email-masked]  -or-
             [email-masked]  (Trevor Cradduck)

    Purpose: A discussion of Nuclear Medicine and related issues.  Of
    particular concern is the format of digital images.

numeric-interest
    Contact: [email-masked] (David Hough)

    Purpose: Discussion of issues of floating-point correctness and
    performance with respect to hardware, operating systems,
    languages, and standard libraries.

ntp
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Discussion of the Network Time Protocol.

objectivism
    Contact:  [email-masked]  (Paul Vixie)

    Purpose:  A mailing list where students of Objectivism can discuss
    their ideas, concrete issues, exchange news, etc.  Any issue that
    may have some relevance to Objectivists is appropriate here.

Objectivism-philosophy
    Contact: [email-masked] (T. William Wells)

    Purpose: A mailing list for discussion of the philosophy of
    Objectivism. This is not a general Objectivism mailing list;
    discussions are restricted to the philosophy itself.

objc
    Contact: bunker!stpstn!objc-request (Anthony A. Datri)

    Purpose: The Objective-C mailing list is for the discussion of
    Stepstone's Objective-C language, Objective-C compiler, Objective-C
    interpreter, and the ICPak-201 user interface library.

ocean.policy
    Contact: {dual,vortex}!islenet!scott

    Purpose: Discussions of the legal, economic, and military aspects
    of ocean use policies. Specific issues include the "law of the
    sea", pending treaties, economic implications of EEZs and the
    military use of the sea. Coordinated by Dr. Scott Allen, Associate
    Director, International Law of the Sea Institute, University of
    Hawaii.

oracle
    Contact: [email-masked] (Steve Kinzler,
						 Ray Moody)

    Purpose:  A cooperative effort for creative humor.  The Usenet
    Oracle answers any questions posed to it.  Send mail to
    [email-masked] (or {ames,rutgers}!iuvax!oracle)
    with the word "help" in the subject line for complete details
    on how to participate.

    A distribution list is available for receiving compilations of
    the best Oracle answers (the Usenet Oracularities, also posted
    to rec.humor).  Send mail to [email-masked].

offroad
    Contact: uunet!samsung!wizvax!offroad-request  (Stephanie P. Gilgut)

    Purpose: To discuss/share experiences about 4X4 offroad
    adventures, tips and anything else related to 4 wheel drive, off
    roading, etc.  This list is reflector driven.

ODA Contact:	utzoo!trigraph!oda-request	(Les Gondor)

    Purpose: ODA is a mailing list for topics related to the ISO 8613
    standard for Office Document Architecture, and ODIF (Office
    Document Interchange Format).

orienteering
    Contact: [email-masked]
	     	(Mitch Collinsworth)

    Purpose:  Discuss all aspects of the sport of orienteering.

origami
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Brad Blumenthal)

    Purpose: This unmoderated mailing list is for discussion of all
    facets of origami, the Japanese art of paper folding.  Topics
    include bibliographies, folding techniques, display ideas,
    descriptions of new folds, creativity, materials, organizations,
    computer representations of folds, etc.

other-voices
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Nancy Everson)

    Purpose:  A forum for discussion of The Cure, Robert Smith, their
    music and videos, and related topics.

OtherRealms
    Contact: [email-masked] (Chuq Von Rospach)

    Purpose: a distribution list for people who can't read
    rec.mag.otherrealms. OtherRealms is an electronic fanzine that
    covers Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror books.

Pagan
    Contact: [email-masked] (Stacey Greenstein)

    Purpose: To discuss the religions, philosophy, etc. of paganism.

Papa
    Contact: [email-masked] (Dave Gross)

    Purpose:  To discuss the life and works of Ernest Hemingway.

PC532
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Dave Rand)

    Purpose: a mailing list for people interested in the pc532
    project. This is a National Semiconductor NS32532 based system,
    offered for a very low cost.

pdp8-lovers
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Robert E. Seastrom)

    Purpose: This mailing list exists in order to facilitate
    communication and cooperation between owners of vintage DEC
    computers, specifically, but not limited to, the PDP-8 series of
    minicomputers.  Discussions of all manner of hardware, software,
    programming techniques are invited.  Ownership of an 'antique'
    computer is not required for membership, but flames from people
    who feel that anything that is not cutting edge technology is
    worthless are discouraged.

Peru
    Contact: [email-masked] (Ivan Cavero Belaunde)

    Purpose:  For discussion of Peruvian culture and other issues.

pharm
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: a mailing list digest version of "alt.drugs" restricted
    to postings without repetitive political arguments or flames.
    Political articles of particularly novel value and reports of
    policy developments will be included.

    Under no circumstances will any message be passed along that may
    be construed to be a solicitation to engage in any form of illegal
    behavior.

picasso-users
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  For users of the Picasso graphical User Interface
    Development System.

pipes
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Steve Masticola)

    Purpose: For all those who enjoy smoking, collecting, or sharing
    information on pipes, tobacco, and related topics. Flames aren't
    allowed (except for the purpose of lighting up :-)

porschephiles
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Stan Hanks)

    Purpose: Discussion of Porsches.

posix-ada
    Contact:  umd5!grebyn!posix-ada-request	-or-
	      [email-masked]	(Karl Nyberg)
    
    Purpose: to discuss the Ada binding of the Posix
    standard.  This is the IEEE P1003.5 working group.

posix-testing
    Contact: [email-masked] (Chuck Karish)

    Purpose: This list will provide a forum for discussion of issues
    related to testing operating systems for conformance to the
    various POSIX standards and proposed standards (IEEE 1003.x and
    whatever derivative standards may emerge from the NIST, ANSI, ISO,
    and so on).

    These issues include problems related to test suites in general,
    testability of various features of the standards, and portability
    of the test suites to the many very different POSIX
    implementations we expect to see in the near future.  We'll focus
    on the test suites themselves, rather than on the standards to
    which they test (notably POSIX p1003.3).

PRL
    Contact: [email-masked]  (John Brewer)

    Purpose: The Pirate Radio SWL list is for the distribution of
    questions, answers, information and loggings of Pirate Radio
    Stations. This includes SW stations, MW (AM broadcast) and FM
    pirates.

Quanta
    Contact:  [email-masked]

    Purpose: Quanta is an electronically distributed magazine of
    science fiction.  Published monthly, each issue contains short
    fiction, articles and editorials by authors around the world and
    across the net.  Quanta publishes in two formats: straight ascii
    and PostScript* for PostScript compatible printers.  To subscribe
    to Quanta, or just to get more info, send mail.

rc-flying
    Contact : sun!suntri!black!rc-flying-request  (Dwight Frye)

    Purpose : Discussions about the sport of flying radio control
    models. This includes sailplanes, power planes, and helicopters.

recovery
    Contact: [email-masked] 

    Purpose: recovery is intended as a forum and support group for
    survivors of childhood sexual abuse/incest and/or their SO's.
    Postings are published in digest format and contributors may post
    anonymously. The emphasis is on healing and recovery through the
    use of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous as adapted for our
    purpose.

REM
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Valerie Ohm)

    Purpose:  Discussion of the music and lyrics by the music group
    R.E.M.

rush
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  fans of the Canadian rock group Rush discuss things
    about the group and its music.

S-news
    Contact: [email-masked]   (Douglas Bates)

    Purpose:  Information and discussion about the S language for data
    analysis and graphics.

sappho
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Jean Marie Diaz)
	    {mit-eddie,bu-cs}!bloom-beacon!sappho-request

    Purpose: A forum and support group for gay and bisexual women.
    The list is not moderated, but may become so if the volume and/or
    content begins to warrant it.  A digest version is available; if
    you want it, be sure to mention it in your addition request.  Men
    who want to "listen in," for whatever reason, are requested to use
    the feminist and alternates mailing lists instead; sappho
    membership is limited to women.

sca
    Contact: [email-masked] (Danulf Donaldson, MKA Dana Groff)

    Purpose: This group discusses anything relating to the Society for
    Creative Anachronism, a world-wide medievallist organization.
    Anyone in the Society (or interested in it) is welcome to join.
    Those with basic questions about the Society should direct them to
    [email-masked] (Justin du Coeur, MKA Mark Waks), who will
    be happy to answer them. (Please note that the mailing list is not
    officially related to the SCA in any way; it is simply a group of
    talkative members).

    The SCA mailing list is gatewayed into the rec.org.sca newsgroup.

SCO-list
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Dave Armbrust)

    Purpose: This group will be beneficial to any one interested or
    currently using Santa Cruz Operation products.  This mailing list
    is a single area that discussions and information can be exchanged
    regarding ALL SCO products.  This mailing is independent of any
    existing news groups.

scoodt
    Contact:  [email-masked]  (Ed Hew)

    Purpose: The SCO Open Desktop electronic mailing list is intended
    to provide a communications vehicle for interested parties to
    provide, request, submit, and exchange information regarding the
    configuration, implementation, and use of the SCO Open Desktop
    operating system as available from The Santa Cruz Operation.

    All submissions will be posted as received with appropriate author
    attribution.  Questions are welcome.  Someone may even answer them.

    The "scoodt" mlist is bi-directionally gatewayed to sco.opendesktop
    which is also available as a limited distribution newsgroup.

scribe
    Contact: [email-masked] 

    Purpose: This list is designed for persons who perform the role of
    Scribe Database Administrator at their installation.  Discussion
    will be about Scribe features, bugs, enhancements, performance,
    support, and other topics of interest to Scribe DBAs.  The list
    will NOT be moderated, but will simply consist of a mail
    "reflector" - ie. if you send a message to the list, it will be
    rebroadcast to everyone on the list.  Discussion at the level of
    "How do I get a paragraph to indent 5 spaces instead of 3?" is
    specifically discouraged.

security
    Contact: uunet!zardoz!security-request (Neil Gorsuch)
             or [email-masked]

    Purpose: to notify of unix security flaws BEFORE they become public
    knowledge, and to provide unix security enhancement programs and
    information.  Most postings are explanations of specific unix security
    "holes", including fixes or work-arounds to prevent their usage.  This
    list is not intended for discussions of general and/or theoretical
    security issues.  It is joined at the pleasure of the applicant's
    system administrator and the list administrator.

    Requests to join must be mailed from a system administration account
    and must specify (1) the full name of the recipient; (2) the address
    to send the list to; (3) the address of the contact person for that
    site (if different from (2)); (4) whether you want moderated digests
    or "reflected" postings.

SFER-l		(South Florida Environmental Reader)
    Contact: [email-masked]  (a.e. mossberg)

    Purpose: A monthly digest of environmental articles of interest to
    South Florida residents. The newsletter is available in both paper
    and electronic formats.  

sil-info
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Discussion of activities of The Society for Interactive
    Literature and related activities.

SkillsBank
    Contact: sun!kass!richard  (Richard Karasik)

    Purpose:I'd like to get people together on a mailing list who are
    willing to share there skills with others -not just the computist
    ones, altho that's handy to know, but some of the oddball ones
    that we all seem to have aquired.

    Ground rules: the list is not going to be publicly available but
    requests to the list for specific skills will be passed on to the
    people that have them, and they can decide about the level of
    participation they want to have.  The only public piece that will
    be mailed around is the new skills that have been added, and the
    new requests for assistance.

    I am open to any other suggestions for how to make this work.

smail3-users
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Lyndon Nerenberg)

    Purpose: 	The smail3-users mailing list is targeted towards
    those who administer smail3.X based mailers.  Discussion of
    operational problems and fixes, specialized configurations, and
    other topics related to the day-to-day operation of smail3.X are
    found here.  The list does not discuss smail 2.5 issues.  (Smail
    2.5 is an unrelated piece of software that appeared in the
    comp.sources.unix archives under the archive name "smail3.")
    Questions about smail 2.5 should be directed to the newsgroup
    comp.mail.misc.  Smail3-users deals primarily with operational
    issues. If you're interested in technical discussions on smail3
    internals, consider joining smail3-wizards.

smail3-wizards
    Contact: [email-masked] (Lyndon Nerenberg)

    Purpose:	Smail3-wizards is a discussion forum for people who
    are actively porting, debugging, and extending smail3.X.
    Discussion should be limited to topics concerning smail3
    internals.  Questions about smail3 installation and operation
    should be directed to the smail3-users list.

smiths-fans
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose: We are a mailing list dedicated to the music of the rock
    group, The Smiths.  Though the group is no longer together, we
    feel there is a substantial enough body of work to keep a list
    such as this going.  Topics include discussion/interpretation of
    lyrics, work being done currently by members, and other
    intellectual concerns.

sports-cards
    Contact:  [email-masked] (Keane Arase)

    Purpose: For people interested in collection, speculation and
    investing in baseball, football, basketball, hockey and other
    trading cards and/or memoribilia.  Discussion and want/sell lists
    are welcome.  Open to anyone.

svr4-admin
    Contact: dynasys!svr4-admin  (Jesse W. Asher)

    Purpose:  This is for discussion of topics related to Unix System
    V Release 4.

stagecraft
    Contact: [email-masked]	(Brad Davis)
    Submissions: [email-masked]

    Purpose: This list is for the discussion of all aspects of stage
    work, including (but not limited to) special effects, sound
    effects, sound reinforcement, stage management, set design and
    building, lighting design, company management, hall management,
    hall design, and show production.  This is not a forum for the
    discussion of various stage productions (unless the discussion
    pertains to the stagecraft of a production), acting or directing
    methods (unless you know of ways to get actors to stand in the
    right spots), film or video production (unless the techniques can
    be used on the stage).  The list will not be moderated unless
    problems crop up.  Archives will be kept of the discussion (send
    mail to stagecraft-request for copies).

stardent-users
    Contact: [email-masked]
	     	(Mark McCallum)

     Purpose: The stardent-users mailing list provides a forum for
    discussion of using/programming computers manufactured by Stardent
    Computer. The discussion is intended to cover programming topics
    (e.g. XFDI, phigs+, Dore, parallel and/or vectorizaton techniques,
    etc.), using one of their computers as an application engine for a
    Stardent software package or a third party package (e.g. AVS,
    Quanta, NMR1/2, etc.), or any other threads deamed applicable
    (e.g. customer service, fallout of merger, etc). The list will not
    be moderated, and it is hoped that it will generate enough
    interest to justify a news group.

stormcock
    Contact: [email-masked] (Paul Davison)

    Purpose: For general discussion and news concerning the music of
    Roy Harper, a folk-rock musician with a conscience.
    Recommendations and news concerning similar artists are
    encouraged. The list is set up as a mail reflector.

    NB: Some internet sites may have to route mail through the UK
    internet gateway, "nsfnet-relay.ac.uk". Also, in some exceptional
    circumstances we may have to refuse membership because we get
    charged for mail to certain addresses in the uucp domain.

sun-386i
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Discussion and information about the 386i-based Sun
    machines.

sun-managers
    Contact: [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Information of special interest to managers of sites
    with Sun workstations or servers.

sun-nets
    Contact:  [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Discussion and information on networks using Sun
    hardware and/or software.

supercomputers
    Contact: [email-masked]  -or-  cmcl2!supercomputer-request
    Submissions: [email-masked], cmcl2!supercomputer

    Purpose: To discuss "supercomputers" and related technology.
    Contact the list administrators for more information.

sysops
    Contact: {harpo,bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!sysops-request
			-or-
	     {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!dasys1!sysops-request

    Purpose: The purpose of this list is to facilitate communication
    among operators of computerized bulletin-board systems.  Topics
    will include, but are certainly not limited to: applications,
    security, legal issues, and software.  

t3
    Contact:	[email-masked] (Ted H. Emigh)

    Purpose:  Discussion of T3, a WYSIWYG (almost) scientific word
    processing system for MS-DOS computers.

tadream
    Contact: [email-masked] (Dave Datta)

    Purpose: Tadream is a forum for discussions about Tangerine Dream
    and related artists. Discussions are not moderated, but should
    have some small relation to Tangerine Dream (solo works and
    instrumentation discussions are welcome). The list is set up both
    as a mail relay and a daily digest. (alternate mail paths:
    ....uwm!uwpvacs!tadream-request, [email-masked])

tandy4k
    Contact: ...!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!tandy4k-users (Steven Neighorn)

    Purpose: A mailing list for owners, users, and other interested
    parties of the Intel 80386-based Tandy 4000 Microcomputer. The list
    will contain problems encountered, hints, program source code, and
    anything else related to the operation of Tandy's newest entry into
    the world of microcomputers.

tartan-c
    Contact: astrovax!tartan-c-requests

    Purpose: Discussion related to the Tartan C compiler for the vax.
    This can include bug reports, benchmarks, C quirks handled
    differently by tcc, experiences compiling system source with tcc,
    etc.

tcad
    Contact: [email-masked] (Mark Law)

    Purpose: This mailing list ihas been set up to serve the needs of
    users and software developers of TCAD ( technology computer aided
    design ) codes.  These codes typicaaly aid the the IC process
    designer in developing, debugging, and optimizing new and old
    processes.  The group discusses software such as PISCES, SUPREM,
    FABRICS, SAMPLE, SIMPL, and MINIMOS.

tcp-group
    Contact:  [email-masked]

    Purpose:  Discussion about promoting TCP/IP use on Ham packet
    radio.

T-E-L
    Contact: [email-masked] (Todd Day)

    Purpose:  For owners and admirers of Talon, Eclipse or Laser
    automobiles. 

Testing-Archive
    Contact: [email-masked] (Brian Marick)

    Purpose: The purpose of Testing-Archive is to collect and archive
    material for software testing practitioners and researchers who
    are too busy to read ongoing discussions.  Therefore, typical
    messages will be abstracts of technical reports, announcements of
    testing tools (both commercial and noncommercial), reviews of
    testing tools, and summaries of discussions from other mailing
    lists or newsgroups.  The mailing list will be archived and made
    available for anonymous FTP via
    cs.uiuc.edu:/pub/testing/archiveXX.  The list is unmoderated.
 
Testing-Research
    Contact: [email-masked] (Brian Marick)

    Purpose: Testing-Research is a forum for testing researchers to
    discuss current and future research at greater length (and with
    perhaps lower "density") than in Testing-Archive.  The goal of
    Testing-Archive is to create a historical record; the goal of
    Testing-Research is to create a community.  Since testing is one
    of the most down-to-earth kinds of software engineering research,
    testing practitioners are welcomed.  Messages about practice
    should be the kind that can guide or improve research; messages
    that can improve practice should go in comp.software-eng.  This
    list is unmoderated.

thicva
    Contact: [email-masked]   -or-
             {gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!thicva-request

    Purpose: The purpose of this list is to provide for the discussion
    of Traumatic Head Injuries, Cerebrovascular Accidents, and other
    related Intracranial Malformations. It is hoped that this
    conference will provide a clearing house for information on the
    above topics, on facilities that specialize in the treatment of
    Intracranial problems, and most importantly a conference where
    victims and their families can meet to discuss problems, concerns,
    and successes. An electronic international support group.

think-c
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Mark Nagel)

    Purpose: This list exists to discuss the Think C compiler for the
    Macintosh.  Acceptable topics include discussion of compiler
    problems and solutions/workarounds, discussion of object-oriented
    programming and Macintosh programming, and the sharing of source
    code.  Associated with this list is an archive stored on
    ics.uci.edu accessible via ftp and a mail archive server
    ([email-masked]).  Submissions to the archive should
    go to think-c-request.

TolkLang
    Contact: [email-masked] (Julian Bradfield)

    Purpose: Discussions of the linguistic aspects of J.R.R. Tolkien's
    works. This covers everything from Elvish vocabulary and grammar
    to his use of Old English. The list is (lightly) moderated.

torg
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Clay Luther)

    Purpose: Torg is the mailing list dedicated to the infiniverse
    of West End Game's "Torg, the Possibility Wars" Roleplaying Game.

towers
    Contact:  [email-masked] (Bill Kennedy)

    Purpose: General discussion on the subject of NCR Tower computers.
    Gatewayed with comp.sys.ncr

transputer
    Submissions:  [email-masked]	-or-
		  ...{cmcl2,decvax,uw-beaver}!cornell!batcomputer!transputer
    Contact:  transputer-request (at the above address)

    Purpose: The Transputer mailing list was created to enhance the
    communication among those who are interested in the Transputer and
    Transputer based systems.

    Submissions should be of non-proprietary nature and be concerned
    with, but not limited to:
    
    	o  Algorithms
    	o  Current development efforts (hardware and software)
    	o  INMOS and third party systems (Meiko, FPS, etc.)
    	o  Interfaces
    	o  Dedicated computational resources
    	o  Occam and Non-Occam language development
    
    Archives of submissions are available by anonymous ftp from the
    host tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (userid "anonymous", password is of the
    form "user@host") and through uucp on a per-request basis.

    The list is maintained as a mail reflector.  Submissions are
    therefore sent out as they are received.

traveller
    Contact: [email-masked]  (James T. Perkins)

    Purpose: This mailing list exists to discuss the TRAVELLER Science
    Fiction Role Playing Game, published by Game Designers' Workshop.
    All variants of Traveller (Traveller 2300, MegaTraveller), and
    Traveller games (Snapshot, Trillion Credit Squadron, etc.) are
    included, too.  Discussion is unmoderated and open to all facets
    and levels of Traveller discussion.  Listeners as well as
    contributors are welcome.

turnabout
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Charleen Bunjiovianna)

    Purpose:  Discussion of gender issues in an attempt to understand
    male/female socialization and how it affects our adult lives.

ucsd-Empire
    Contact: [email-masked] (David Muir Sharnoff)

    Purpose: ucsd-empire is devoted to co-ordinating work on the UCSD
    version of the game of Empire (ideas, announcements, and
    patches).

uk-motss
    Contact: [email-masked] (Nigel Whitfield)

    Purpose: The uk-motss mailing list is for gay people in the UK, or
    those who are interested in the UK gay scene / politics. It is a
    supportive environment for those unwilling or unable to read the
    soc.motss newsgroup, and confidentiality is assured. Anonymous
    posting is available.

weights
    Contact:  cit-vax!mickey!weights-request (Michael Sullivan)

    Purpose: The discussion of all aspects of using weights in
    exercise.  Includes bodybuilding (competetive and
    non-competetive), sport-related weight training, "stay in shape"
    weight training; basically anything to do with lifting weights.

whitewater
    Contact: iuvax!whitewater-request 	--or--
		[email-masked]	(Charles Daffinger)

    Purpose:  To discuss WhiteWater sports, experiences, and
    information.  Includes kayak and canoeing enthusiasts.  Please note
    that this mailing list is partially bidirectionally gatewayed to
    the USENET group rec.boats.paddle.  Whitewater specific postings
    are culled and sent to the mailing list, and mailing list traffic
    is sent to the newsgroup.  This mailing list is moderated and is
    probably only useful to those who do not receive rec.boats.paddle,
    or are only interested in the whitewater traffic in that group.

Unisys
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Richard H. Miller)

    Purpose: Discussion of all Unisys products and equipment.

unix-pc-net
    Contact:  [email-masked]  -or-
	      {pyramid,ames}!zorch!unix-pc-request  (Scott H. Mueller)

    Purpose: To provide redistribution via mail of the unix-pc news
    hierarchy to sites that don't or cannot receive it as a regular
    distribution.  The special address "zorch!unix-pc" can be used by
    subscribers to post to the group unix-pc.general.

UPS-alumni
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Bill England)

    Purpose: The mailing list has been put together ostensibly for
    the purpose of linking graduates of The University of Puget Sound.
    This list will also help those interested keep abreast of current
    events and changes at the University.  Commercial postings are
    prohibited.
  
usenet.hist
    Contact: [email-masked] (Bruce Jones)
    
    Purpose:  This list is for the discussion of the socio-cultural,
    technical and political history of usenet.  The list is not
    moderated and is open to anyone interested in the history of
    the net.

usml
    Contact:  [email-masked]   (Josh Siegel)

    Purpose: This mailing list is for discussions on various techniques
    for simulations of the universe as related to games and reality.

venezuela
    Contact:  [email-masked]  (Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart)

    Purpose:  Discussion of anything related to Venezuela.

VMEbus
    Contact: {clyde,att,ulysses}!houxl!mlh   (Marc Harrison)

    Purpose: A user's group for the AT&T VMEbus products to provide a
    two-way USENET conduit for the open exchange of information, both
    within and outside of AT&T.  There's very little data that's
    proprietary about the products (other than the source code for UNIX
    System V/VME), so the list is open to suggestions as to items of
    interest.

    If you're interested, please send your name, e-mail path (via att
    preferred), affiliation, and use of WE 321SB (if you have one).
    Suggestions for items of interest are also encouraged.

wildnet
    Contact:    dvinci!ejw --or-- [email-masked]  (Eric Woodsworth)

    Purpose: This list is concerned with computing and statistics in
    fisheries and wildlife biology.

windsurfing
    Contact:    [email-masked]
             ...uunet!philabs!crpmks!gallium!windsurfing-request
             ...uunet!hsi!stpstn!gaboon!crpmks!gallium!windsurfing-request

    Purpose: The windsurfing mailing list serves as a discussion forum
    for boardsailing enthusiasts all over the world.  While
    non-windsurfers are welcome to join, the primary purpose is to
    promote the sport of windsurfing by specializing in windsurfing
    related topics such as equipment, technique, sailing sites,
    weather, the windsurf industry, etc.  We welcome you to join and
    share your windsurfing experiences and thoughts.  The list is
    non-moderated and your articles will circulate to everyone who
    joins.

x-ada
    Contact: [email-masked]  

    Purpose: to discuss the interfaces and bindings for an
    Ada interface to the X window system.

XGKS
    Contact: [email-masked]  (Steve Emmerson)

    Purpose: A mailing-list for the maintenance, enhancement, and
    evolution of the XGKS package, created by the University of
    Illinois under contract with IBM and distributed as part of X11R4.
    The XGKS package is a full 2C GKS implementation and allows GKS
    applications to operate in an X Window System environment.

yello
    Contact: [email-masked] (Cliff Tuel)

    Purpose: The Yello Mailing List is a forum for discussing anything
    about the group Yello, or any solo works by the band's members.
    An extensive discography is available, as are several other files
    of interest.

Yiddish
    Contact: [email-masked]   -or-   lsuc!dave	(Dave Sherman)

    Purpose: articles, jokes, etc. in transliterated Yiddish, and
    discussion of Yiddish language and culture (in English).  Some
    familiarity with the language is required to understand most of
    the messages.

Z-cars
    Contact:  rsiatl!z-car-request  (John De Armond)

    Purpose:The Z-car mailing list operates for the benefit of those
    interested in Datsun/Nissan Z cars.  The interest base is
    primarily for the original Z, though all discussion regarding the
    Z line of cars is welcome.

zeppelin
    Contact: [email-masked] (Michael John Negron, Jr.)

    Purpose:  For fans of the rock group Led Zeppelin.

zilog
    Contact: ...!cbmvax!mail-zilog-request

    Purpose:  A self-help group to provide communications among Zilog
    users.  Topics include problems with Zeus, fixes, portability
    problems, availability of ported software and exchange of programs
    on Zilog compatible media.  Open to both end users and systems
    houses, but all should be able to cope with the phrase Zilog Brain
    Damage with some degree of equanimity.

-- 
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
Internet:  [email-masked]	uucp:	...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!spaf