Subject: Alt.Atheism FAQ: Overview for New Readers
From: mathew <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Nov 1993 10:00:07 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,alt.atheism.moderated,news.answers,alt.answers

Archive-name: atheism/overview
Alt-atheism-archive-name: overview
Last-modified: 14 October 1993
Version: 1.8

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

                                   Overview

Welcome to alt.atheism and alt.atheism.moderated.

This is the first in a series of regular postings aimed at new readers of the
newsgroups.

Many groups of a 'controversial' nature have noticed that new readers often
come up with the same questions, mis-statements or misconceptions and post
them to the net.  In addition, people often request information which has
been posted time and time again.  In order to try and cut down on this, the
alt.atheism groups have a series of five regular postings under the following
titles:

   1.  Alt.Atheism FAQ: Overview for New Readers
   2.  Alt.Atheism FAQ: Introduction to Atheism
   3.  Alt.Atheism FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
   4.  Alt.Atheism FAQ: Constructing a Logical Argument
   5.  Alt.Atheism FAQ: Atheist Resources

This is article number 1.  Please read numbers 2 and 3 before posting.  The
others are entirely optional.

If you are new to Usenet, you may also find it helpful to read the newsgroup
news.announce.newusers.  The articles titled "A Primer on How to Work With
the Usenet Community", "Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Usenet"
and "Hints on writing style for Usenet" are particularly relevant.  Questions
concerning how news works are best asked in news.newusers.questions.

If you are unable to find any of the articles listed above, see the "Finding
Stuff" section below.

                                   Credits

These articles are free.  Truly free.  You may copy them and distribute them
to anyone you wish.  However, please send any changes or corrections to
[email-masked], and please do not re-post copies of the articles to
alt.atheism; it does nobody any good to have multiple versions of the same
document floating around the network.

People sometimes ask whether these FAQ files are original, and if so, who
wrote them.  It's not an easy question to answer.  Some parts I wrote myself;
many others were contributed by the readers of alt.atheism and of other
Usenet newsgroups.  The articles are therefore a massive collaborative
effort, of a sort which would not have been possible without electronic
networking.

I have written, rewritten and edited a great deal of material, but these FAQ
files would not have been possible without the efforts of hundreds of people. 
In particular, I'd like to thank the following people for their
contributions (in no particular order):

[email-masked] (Karl Kluge)
[email-masked] (Jim Perry)
[email-masked] (Wayne Aiken)
[email-masked] (Toby Kelsey)
[email-masked] (Jyrki Kuoppala)
[email-masked] (Geoff Arnold)
[email-masked] (Torkel Franzen)
[email-masked] (George Kimeldorf)
[email-masked] (Greg Roelofs)
[email-masked] (Ken Arromdee)
[email-masked] (Maddi Hausmann)
[email-masked] (John A. Johnson)
[email-masked] (Douglas Graham)
[email-masked] (William Mayne)
[email-masked] (Andy Rosen)
[email-masked] (Achim Stoesser)
[email-masked] (Bryan O'Sullivan)
[email-masked] (James J. Lippard)
[email-masked] (S. Baum)
[email-masked] (York H. Dobyns)
[email-masked] (Wayne Schroeder)
[email-masked] (J.D. Baldwin)
[email-masked] (Dana Nibby)
[email-masked] (Richard C. Dempsey)
jmunch@hertz,elee.calpoly.edu (John David Munch)
[email-masked] (Paul Crowley)
[email-masked] (Richard Zach)
[email-masked] (Tim Chow)
[email-masked] (Simon Clippingdale)
[email-masked] (Pekka Himanen)
[email-masked] (Ken Miner)
[email-masked] (Rob Mayoff)
[email-masked] (Harold Hallikainen)
[email-masked] (Michael Wang)

...and countless others I've forgotten.

I use PGP to sign all the articles.  This means you can be sure that you have
received the entire article, exactly as I posted it.  You can also check the
date of each article, even if the header information has been lost.  (This
should help the people who find copies of the files re-posted to systems
outside Usenet.)  For information about PGP, send a blank mail message to 
[email-masked].

                                 Disclaimer

The editor of these FAQ documents has attempted to verify the accuracy
and correctness of the information contained in them, as far as is
metaphysically possible.  Mistakes can and do happen, and so far it
seems no omnipotent beings have intervened to correct them.  If you use
the information in these FAQ documents, you do so at your own risk.

However, the editor hereby guarantees that reading these documents will
not cause your soul to perish in eternal damnation.  Offer void where
prohibited by natural law.

                                Finding Stuff

If you are on Usenet, all of the FAQ files *should* be somewhere on your news
system.  Here are some suggestions on what to do if you can't find them:

1. Check the newsgroup alt.atheism.  Look for subject lines starting with
   "Alt.Atheism FAQ:".

2. Check the newsgroup news.answers for the same subject lines.

   If you don't find anything in steps 1 or 2, your news system isn't set up
   correctly, and you may wish to tell your system administrator about the
   problem.

3. If you have anonymous FTP access, connect to rtfm.mit.edu [18.70.0.209].
   Go to the directory /pub/usenet/alt.atheism, and you'll find the latest
   versions of the FAQ files there.

   FTP is a a way of copying files between networked computers.  If you
   need help in using or getting started with FTP, send e-mail to
   [email-masked] with

      send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/faq

   in the body.

4. There are other sites which also carry news.answers postings.  The article
   "Introduction to the news.answers newsgroup" carries a list of these
   sites; the article is posted regularly to news.answers.

5. If you don't have FTP, send mail to [email-masked]
   consisting of the following lines:

      send usenet/news.answers/finding-sources
      send usenet/alt.atheism/faq
      send usenet/alt.atheism/introduction
      send usenet/alt.atheism/logic
      send usenet/alt.atheism/resources

5. (Last resort)  Mail [email-masked], or post an article to the
   newsgroup asking how you can get the FAQ files.  You should only do this
   if you've tried the above methods and they've failed; it's not nice to
   clutter the newsgroup or people's mailboxes with requests for files.
   It's better than posting without reading the FAQ, though!  For instance,
   people whose email addresses get mangled in transit and who don't have 
   FTP will probably need assistance obtaining the FAQ files.

mathew

For information about PGP, send a blank mail message to [email-masked].
-- 
/X-Attribution:/h:j -- just say no to SuperCite