Subject: Hysterical movie goof

From: Christopher Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Dec 92 12:14:17 PST

I was just watching a movie on TV ("Gotcha").  One of the characters
flew to Paris, and there was the obligatory "airplane landing" shot to
establish that he "really flew" there...

...on an Air France Cargo 747.  (The side titles very clearly had three
words, though the last was hard to read; however, the "under-nose"
titles indicated the 747 cargo variant with a nose door.)

Wonder what the in-flight meal was...

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Andrew Weinstein)
Date: 13 Dec 92 18:07:14 PST

At one time (i.e. 1st half of 20th century ?), it was common for 
people flying between places without regular comercial airline service to 
hitch rides with either cargo or military planes.
	Scientists going to Antartica still do this and reporters needing 
local transportation in Vietnam when roads were closed did during the war 
there.  (In 'Nam, helicopters were more common though because it was too 
expensive to build a runway that might get blown up.)

Stephen Weinstein
[email-masked]
I will be away from the net and e-mail 12/17-1/10.
If more college students voted (and could afford lobbyists), there would
be more financial aid.

---

From: [email-masked] (Noah Cole)
Date: 14 Dec 92 14:11:44 PST

>titles indicated the 747 cargo variant with a nose door.)

I think that it would be interesting to list all of the errors that TV and Film
writers make in the airline/avation market.  For example, on Dir Hard II many
of the flights were not wide-bodied flights that came from the West VCoast
etc..
Anyone else seen things like this in films?

-MN, er Noah Cole
--
Noah Cole		"Outside is America,		     [email-masked]
Macalester College	and also the car park"	            [email-masked]
St. Paul, MN 55105    	- Bono, 27 December 1989      [email-masked]
612-696-7388 		 	Dublin	            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Karl Swartz)
Date: 15 Dec 92 00:13:28 PST

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Noah Cole) writes:

>I think that it would be interesting to list all of the errors that
>TV and Film writers make in the airline/avation market.

I agree.  But TV and film is a bit far afield from airliners; perhaps
rec.arts.movies would be a better place.  If someone compiles a list
I'll consider it as for sci.aeronautics.airliners.

One bit of film goof trivia that perhaps *is* directly relavnt to
airliners is in United's safety video.  As has been mentioned else-
where on Usenet, the shot of folks sliding down the emergency slides
in the DC-10 version depicts a 747, as can be identified by the doors
and the fact that they open out to the side, not inside and up.  The
757 appears to use the same shot (awfully high up and it doesn't look
like a narrow-body aircraft).

One question I've had about this film, besides where they could find
a flight attendent or model who could smile so continuously, is what
type of aircraft the opener of the cockpit was taken on.  I always
manage to think about it when the scene is almost over.

>For example, on Dir Hard II many of the flights were not wide-bodied
>flights that came from the West VCoast etc..

Are you suggesting that all flights from the West Coast are wide
bodies?  That's hardly the case, of course.

-- 
Karl Swartz	|INet	[email-masked]		
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls
		|Snail	2144 Sand Hill Rd., Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
 Send sci.aeronautics.airliners submissions to [email-masked]

---

From: James R Ebright <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Dec 92 16:08:07 CST

>Wonder what the in-flight meal was...
  
About eight years ago I flew LAX to CDG direct on Air Chance and it was
ACTUALLY a CARGO 747 with one cabin (appx 80 seats) of passengers.

The in-flight meal was normal US airline food...quite a let down from
normal Air Chance fare -- so much so, it prompted me to complain in writing.
(Why else fly AF except for the food?)

-- 
		Jim Ebright ([email-masked]) 
    "Spam, eggs, sausage and spam - that's not got much spam in it."
     >>>    All kids can be educated -- even yours and mine.    <<<