Subject: TV programme on 777

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Bowen)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1992 12:16:54 GMT

Last night (Sunday 15 Nov), Channel 4 broadcast a TV programme on the
production of the new Boeing 777 airplane in the Equinox series in the
UK. Unfortunately I only saw the last 5 minutes of the programme. Would
anyone who saw the whole programme like to provide a summary in this
forum? In particular, I would be interested to hear if any mention was
made of the fly-by-wire and safety aspects of the plane.
-- 
Jonathan Bowen, <[email-masked]>
Oxford University Computing Laboratory.

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Lomas)
Date: 18 Nov 92 19:39:39 GMT

>made of the fly-by-wire and safety aspects of the plane.

OK, here goes (and without the aid of a video recorder! :-):

New Boeing 777 and its design. The program concentrated on the
general aspects of how the whole thing is put together - ie:
need, management, tools used, some financial. Hard technical
details were scant.

Boeing need a plane that is bigger than their 757 and 767 yet smaller
than the 747. With latest design, the 777 will be smaller than the
747 yet carry nearly the same number of passengers. Pressure from
customers and competition from Airbus and McDonnald Douglas. Large
order from American Airlines and others prompted the design start.
Production aircraft by 1995(?).

Large mainframe cluster (IBM!) being used for all drawings (CAD) work
with stress analysis to let engineers reduce component weight ('safely')
where possible. A full size mockup to test whether all components will
fit together will not be needed (as made for previous planes) due to
computer design checks. (Component clashes checked and highlighted.)

International manufacturing: Electronics from UK, rudder from Australia,
various (large) sections from Europe, and all assembled at Boeing's now
being built plant in America.

Some design decisions shown: Use of Aluminium-Lithium alloy -- strong
and light but cracks when drilled. However, the cracks don't propagate
and so are safe. Reluctantly rejected due to engineers' fears of cracks
and possible confusion over what parts must be crack free and where
cracks are 'ok'.

Safety: Issue of doors mentioned -- trade many doors against plane
too heavy, so compromise. Doors must open even with quarter inch
ice sealing them shut. Good demonstration showing their intended
design works. (Big freezer, idiot in there sprays on water, big party
next day to see the door break open.)
  Cost compromises: None made where the plane's flyability is concerned,
possible compromises for such as crash survivabilty and other cases.
Concentrate efforts to AVOID crashes. Anyway, bad for business
if your plane falls out of the sky!

Fly by wire briefly explained. Safety issues NOT covered. Only advantages
of better fuel economy and smoother flight mentioned. Implied weight
savings due to easier mechanics. Intended fly-by-wire system currently
being tested on a 757 with dual control systems (mechanical and the FBW).
Hundreds of real flights being performed. Some mention given to making
the controls similar to existing planes so the pilots can be easily trained
for the plane. Control ergonomics reviewed by test pilots to great detail
(focus in on 'that knob doesn't click nicely when switching between
settings -- make it click better...').

Two engines only on the plane -- one adequate for flight across the
Atlantic. Engine reliabilty relied upon. Customer engineers allowed
to review the new engines for servicing and to make mods.

Customers allowed into (some) of the Boeing meetings to discuss the
777's design and to suggest mods. 'Open management' strategy.

Main thrust of the program was the huge cost and complexity of the
task of producing a new aircraft to tight schedules. Management
style/issues covered much more than the technical issues.

Good documentary very much in the 'Skyscraper' style that this film
company first produced.

Any other critics out there?

Martin.

---

From: [email-masked] (Randolph Bentson)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1992 16:30:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Martin Lomas) writes:
>...
>Fly by wire briefly explained.
>...

-NOT FROM THE SHOW-

Boeing is _very_ reluctant to use fly-by-wire.  Management
trusts computer solutions no more than members of this forum.  I
got the impression that this system has a pilot override as part
of it's basic design.  (A sort of "do what I say, not what you
think I want" mode.)

One interesting feature is the networking of non-flight related
computers.  Planes will have an internet that will also link
link to ground stations, satellites, and other planes.  They
will have the ability to do significant book-work while in the
air.  Flight crews will be able to order maintenance and
consumables, weather and traffic information can be exchanged,
etc.  It's likely there will be a network for passangers-- a big
step forward from airphone.

Boeing recently moved a great number of folks (on the order of
5000) that were scattered south of Seattle to a new facility in
Everett, Washington (about 50 miles north).  They did it on the
week-end so as not to disrupt anybody's work.  They figure this
will enhance communication among folks working.

-- 
    Randolph Bentson                 Colorado State University
    [email-masked]         Computer Science Department
    303/491-5792                     Ft. Collins, CO 80523

---

From: [email-masked] (Chijioke D Anyanwu)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1992 08:17:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Martin Lomas) gives an excellent summary of last Sunday's Equinox on the 777 - I
definitely couldn't have done better.

He says
>777's design and to suggest mods. 'Open management' strategy.

Specifically Lord King: BA will be a launch customer as will Emirates which is
already advertising the fact.

One thing which he omitted and which I found quite interesting was
the amount of attention paid to the design of the toilet. Apparently,
banging toilet seats tend to cause some passengers some amount of distress
(thoughts of bombs going off?) and so a virtually noiseless toilet seat and
cover were designed.

Although as Martin pointed out FBW safety issues were not covered 
(something which I had rather expected in view of all the controversy
surrounding the A320), the programme really was a fascinating insight
into modern aircraft design and development.

Chijioke.