Subject: Technical Harrasment.
From: [email-masked] (Vinay Anand)

Here is something interesting I got from my friend 
Rick Fadler at USWest NewVector Group.

-----------

                                What is

                          Technical Harassment

In our complex technical environment there are many opportunities for a 
competent technical individual to be the subject of technical harassment. 
Sometimes it can be so subtle that you may not even be aware you are being 
harassed. Worse yet, you may inadvertently technically harass another person 
by accident.

Following are some guidelines to help you determine if you are being 
technically harassed.

If you are repeatedly asked the same technical question you may be the 
victim of technical harassment. While it is most common to be asked the 
question repeatedly within the same conversation, some instances have been 
identified of habitual technical harassment. Habitual technical harassment 
is not uncommon and has been known to exhibit group tendencies where members 
of a group may ask the same question repeatedly. Untreated, these instances 
of group technical harassment can continue for years.

If you are asked a technical question by a non-technical person and they do 
not write your answer down it is likely the question is frivolous. Most 
non-technical people are not capable of remembering a true technical answer 
for more than 30 seconds.

If you are forced into a discussion where a person uses more than three 
(3) buzzwords in one sentence the person is most likely a fake and you are 
the unwitting victim of technical harassment. One note of caution, competent 
technical people have been known to inadvertently use buzzwords after 
reading mindless drivel like PC Week or LAN Times. If the person has been 
known to use more common technical terms in the past such as "stuff" and 
"things", they are most likely victim of computer magazine brainwashing.

If during a troubleshooting session a person uses the term "trick". For 
example "maybe we could trick the database into thinking it has been 
updated". This is a sure sign of technical harassment.

If a person explains that a needed feature will be provided by a vendor and 
that person is nontechnical then you are at risk of being technically 
harassed. If you believe that person you have definitely been technically 
harassed, if you don't believe them you have only been technically annoyed.

If when trying to resolve a technical problem with a product from a vendor 
and you are instructed to call the salesman that sold us the product you 
are being set up for technical harassment. It is a common reaction for a 
non-technical person when they have purchased technical equipment to call 
another non-technical person. The dialogue between two nontechnical people 
usually provides some sense of comfort that they aren't the only ones who 
are confused.