Subject: Weak Flippers
From: [email-masked] (Cameron Silver)
Date: 26 Jul 93 05:16:51 GMT

I have a few suggestions for the cause of weak flippers, some may have been
mentioned before and if so, I'm sorry...

o Bad EOS switch that doesn't let all of the power through to energize the
  flipper.
o 'Expanded' flipper coil. As the coil gets old, or fried, it expands, putting
  more friction on the shaft. Coils should always be replaced if a new sleve
  doesn't slide in easily.
o 'Mushroomed' shaft. From the constant pounding on the coil-stop, the end of
  the shaft mushrooms out. This causes friction between the shaft, and sleve.
o Weak return spring. If the return spring doesn't pull the shuft all the way
  back to the resting position; then when the coil is energized, the shaft 
  only moves a bit, resulting in a weak flip/kick.
o EOS being activated too early causing the 50v to cut out too soon.
o Bad transistor on the driver board that doesn't 'open' as much as it should.
o Flipper rubber that is put on so badly that is rubs against the playfield.
  (Yes, I have seen it!)
o Any slak in the linkage assembley. Sometimes the link wears out around the 
  pivot points.
o Steap playfield makes it seem like the flippers are weak.
o Misaligned flippers can make it seem like the flippers are weak.

That's about all I can think of now, I hope it puts your little minds at ease!

--
Cameron Silver - Flippers make the world go 'round.

I can be found at [email-masked]