Subject: Usenet Lynx Guide

From: Kevin Dangoor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 93 20:31:31 EDT

Sorry, but 'faq' does not seem to exist.

--                            Lynx Reviews                            --

Last Updated: May 31, 1993
	-- European Soccer Challenge

	Robert Jung, the maintainer of the Lynx Frequently Asked Questions
(FAQ) list, has reviewed every game available for the Atari Lynx. (He
generally gets his reviews out within a day or two of a game's release in
the States.) So that people could have a nice, handy reference to the Lynx,
I bundled the reviews in one file in alphabetical order and have placed them
on my mail server. The FAQ, these reviews, and the Lynx Cheats files made up
what used to be known as the Usenet Lynx Guide. These three files are now
available separately on my mailserver.

	-- Kevin (Tazzzzz) Dangoor
	   (Internet e-mail: [email-masked])

P.S. You can reach Rob Jung through Internet e-mail at: [email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rating values  10 - 8   Great! A value at the regular price.
               7 - 5    Good. Buy if you're interested or if it's discounted.
               4 - 2    Poor. For die-hards only.
               1        Ick. Shoot it, please.

[APB]=========================================================================
A.P.B.
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
  Meet Officer Bob. He just graduated the other day from the Police Academy,
and is now ready to serve and protect. It's not an easy assignment; his
sergeant is a real hothead, and the slightest mistakes will get Bob into
trouble. Still, if Bob works hard and plays it straight,  he may someday make
chief. But that's in the future; Bob has to go to work now -- after he gets a
donut. Preferably chocolate.

  A.P.B. for the Atari Lynx is an adaptation of the cartoony arcade game of
the same name. You play Officer Bob, who patrols the big city in his squad
car. Every day, you must catch criminals big and small, while avoiding demerits
for actions unbecoming an officer. If you get too many demerits, you are fired
(rather painfully, too), though you can erase demerits by hard work. Along your
career, you will have chances to earn extra rewards, upgrade your patrol gear,
and maybe someday make the big catch.

GAMEPLAY:
  Fans of the arcade A.P.B. will be pleased with the Lynx adaptation, as all
of the whimsy and almost all of the original features are translated intact.
At the start of each day, you are given a quota of traffic violators, from
litterbugs to speeders, to arrest. On certain days, an A.P.B. (all-point
bulletin) of an especially dangerous criminal is issued; capturing this suspect
is worth more points. Failure to either arrest the A.P.B. or meet your quota
will bring the sergeant's wrath, and earn more demerits.

  The actual patrol takes place on a vast overhead city map that scrolls in
360 degrees. Violators submit easily and can be ticketed by pointing your
crosshairs and sounding the siren, but the criminals will put up a fight, and
require a chase to take down. Between arrests, you must keep your car filled
with gas, grab donuts for more time, and look for various bonuses. Hints and
tips will periodically scroll across the screen, giving warnings, game advice,
or what mistake you just performed. In all, there is a total of about 30+
levels to play, which keeps this game fresh for a long time.

  There are a few flaws with the game, however. First, button "B" is used as
the accelerator; this means there is no fine speed control, and makes using the
siren (button "A") while driving tricky. Second, the arcade bonus sequence,
where you take a captured A.P.B. criminal and try to extract a confession, has
been removed. Finally, the Lynx version is more sensitive to collisions than
the arcade. If you are moving and touch another car when the siren is off, that
counts as a demerit against you, regardless of which driver is at fault. While
these problems are mostly minor, they do detract from the game somewhat.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The sights and sound of A.P.B. are very well done and entertaining. The
graphics, while not always identical to the arcade versions, are distinctive,
detailed, and appropriately silly. The 360-degree scrolling is very smooth, and
even the cartoon sequences remain intact. Sounds are equally impressive; the
music is identical to the arcade, while car honks and other sounds are
realistically rendered. Then there are all the digitized voices, slightly
scratchy, but very well done: cries for help, complaints from arrested
violators, and the sergeant's incomprehensible mumbling when he congratulates
you on a day well done.

SUMMARY:
  A.P.B. on the Lynx is a decent adaptation of the original game, and offers
a refreshing variety to video gaming. The gameplay is fair, and is enhanced
by some very appropriate and entertaining sound and graphics. For people hooked
on the arcade title, and players interested in a slightly silly change of pace,
Officer Bob is waiting with a box of donuts.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           9
                OVERALL:         8.5
[AWE]=========================================================================

AWESOME GOLF
1-4 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$29.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Forget those 5:00am tee-offs, with AWESOME GOLF you can now play the links
on the Lynx. This is a fully loaded golf game, offering three courses filled
with obstacles, and enough challenge to keep you busy. Chipper the chipmunk
will be your caddy and scorekeeper, so pick your club, and please replace your
divots.

    You can play on one of three imaginary courses, for a 9-hole or an 18-hole
game. Up to four players can ComLynx together, practice on individual holes,
or work on a driving range. Each hole beings with an overhead map, where you
can aim your shot as well as scroll and zoom as desired. Fourteen clubs are
available: three woods, eight irons, two wedges, and a putter. Finally, you
take swing, hopefully staying on the fairway and avoiding the hazards.

GAMEPLAY:
    AWESOME GOLF is a straight, no-nonsense implementation of the game, with
many features and game options. A game can feature three different wind
levels, while the properties of terrain and the slope of the green must be
kept in mind. Distances to the hole are always available, and each club's
range, usage, and effect on the ball are accurately duplicated. Strokes are
done with a power bar using three button presses: The first press starts the
swing, the second press sets the strength, and the third press determines hook
and slice. Finally, you can select the clothing, race and sex of your video
duffer, though the only major effect is that women golfers tee off closer to
the hole.

    There's not much else to be said -- AWESOME GOLF plays golf, and plays it
well. As in real golf, the key to winning is a good strategy and a good
technique. The game is helpful without being pandering; players can set
individual handicaps, hints on clubs and aim are available to beginners, and
the driving range reports statistics on your swing. The only gripe is with the
multiplayer option. You must ComLynx to play against other people, though the
game could have been designed to support multiple players on one Lynx. It's a
trivial point, but one worth mentioning.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Graphics on AWESOME GOLF are a combination of detailed realism and light
humor. Shots are seen from behind your player, and the ball's flight is viewed
from overhead, all done with quality animation, detailed backgrounds, and
smooth scrolling and scaling. Finally, cartoon stills highlight events such as
bogeys, penalties, and birdies. On the sound side, AWESOME GOLF is fairly
quiet, using short chimes to indicate selections and decisions. To spice
things up, Chipper's high-pitched voice is peppered throughout, congratulating
good strokes, laughing at blunders, and making remarks everywhere.

SUMMARY:
    Between CHECKERED FLAG and AWESOME GOLF, the Lynx is shaping up to be a
serious video sports system. This game captures the intricacies of the sport,
while offering enough extras to enhance its appeal, though playing with
friends can be a hassle. If golf is your game, AWESOME GOLF should not be
missed.

                GAMEPLAY:        9
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           9
                OVERALL:         9
[BAS]======================================================================

BASEBALL HEROES
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    With Atari finally increasing the number of sports titles for their Lynx
game system, the only real question was how long it'd take for them to release
a baseball title. Now there's BASEBALL HEROES, a portable video version of the
American pastime. One or two coaches pick from four fictitious teams, each
with 20 players (two in each position and four pitchers) rated in various
attributes. Before a game, you select a team, assemble a squad of nine men,
and arrange a batting order. They then take to the field, trying to score the
most runs possible in nine innings. A single exhibition game is possible, or
you can play a multiple-game "Final League" challenge. Between games, practice
in batting and fielding is available with the "Home Run Derby" and "Three
Flies Out" games.

GAMEPLAY:
    This is one of the more ambitious Lynx sports games out now; BASEBALL
HEROES tries some new ideas and to push the boundaries of portable gaming, and
partially succeeds. The ability to select your players and adjust the lineup
is welcome, but you must decide carefully, since there's no way to change
either once the game starts. A wide variety of views are used, according to
the situation: behind the batter, behind the pitcher, three-quarters overhead,
directly overhead, and from the outfield fence, giving this game a real "you
are there" feeling.

    The actual gameplay is respectable: infield players cover each other, and
dives and jumps for the ball are fully supported. Batters can swing high and
low, inside and out, while pitchers can steer the four stock pitches for
variety. Common baseball rules and events are supported, including beaning the
batter and wild pitches. The computer opponent is challenging but not
completely perfect, leaving some opportunities for crafty players to exploit.

    BASEBALL HEROES is not without problems, however. The worst offender is
the fielding, which starts with an overhead view, then switches to a "behind
the outfielder" angle on the ball's descent. This makes judging the ball's
location difficult, and requires lots of practice to master. Also, some of
the controls are a little quirky, such as using the same button to throw and
jump, and the slow swing times of the batters. There's nothing that makes the
game unplayable, but they do detract a bit.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics on BASEBALL HEROES are simply delightful. There's great use
of animation, including little details like the umpire hunching down for each
pitch. The batter and pitcher views feature gigantic characters that fill the
screen, while the fielding scenes use small but manageable players running
about. Even the player selection and lineup sequences are entertaining, with
"trading cards" used to select and rearrange your team members, and fanciful
logos for each team.

    The only music in the game comes from the title theme and a few simple
tunes. The remaining sounds consist largely of digitized effects of caught
balls, the crack of the bat, and the umpire's calls. Though the umpire's
"strike!" is unrecognizable, and the crowd falls silent too quickly, the sound
effects are fine overall.

SUMMARY:
    BASEBALL HEROES is a very good translation of the sport, though not a
perfect game. It has a few rough spots that will try some people, but for the
most part this is a quality title and a showcase game for the Lynx.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           8
                OVERALL:         8
[BAK]========================================================================

BASKETBRAWL
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    For some reason, combining basketball with violence is a popular video
game trend -- look at ARCH RIVALS, BILL LAIMBEER'S COMBAT BASKETBALL, or
PUNKSHOT. Now there's BASKETBRAWL, a Lynx version of the Atari 7800 title,
with a very similar theme. You pick your character from a fixed pool of
players, each rated according to skills and health. You then play against the
other team, trying to score more points before the six-minute clock runs out.

    Aside from this, anything goes. Players must fight, stab, and mutilate
their opponents for the ball, while spectators attack anyone who get too
close. Weapons and power-up icons appear on the field, giving temporary
benefits such as speed or renewed health. Your ultimate goal is to beat five
other local gangs and win the championship. A password allows you to continue
from a later point, while two players can ComLynx together for a team-up
against the town.

GAMEPLAY:
    Sadly, when BASKETBRAWL took away the rules, it also took away the fun.
The problem is that neither the brawling nor the basketball aspects of this
game are done well. Shooting consists of jabbing Button A and praying the ball
goes in. Fight moves are limited, aiming attacks is difficult, and weapon
effects have little variety. Defense is nonexistent; you can't block shots or
passes, steal the ball, or resist enemy attacks. The basketball action is
constantly disrupted by fights, and fight fans have to stop and score points
to keep the game going.

    The overall pace is frantic and confusing. You play three times against
each team, first with one opponent and working up to three. Two spectators
enter the field and attack players for no reason, and a third throws knives at
everyone. The control buttons are used to attack, kick, shoot, and throw,
depending on who has possession. But it's difficult to tell when you have the
ball, and you may throw it away when you were planning to attack. In the end,
there's a lot of frenzied button-pressing but very little satisfaction.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Sights and sounds in BASKETBRAWL do little to enhance its appeal. While
backgrounds are sufficiently detailed, the main game graphics are simple,
crude, and poorly animated. Throw in a very choppy side-to-side scrolling, and
game looks like a relic from the Atari 2600. The title theme music is very
catchy, but the other game sounds are primitive and dull.

SUMMARY:
    BASKETBRAWL takes an idea loaded with potential, then removes most of the
excitement by combining weak sports action and weak combat action. The only
thing to do is to wait a while longer for an authentic basketball game; Lynx
owners may be eager for sports titles, but they're not desperate.

                GAMEPLAY:        4
                GRAPHICS:        4
                SOUND:           5
                OVERALL:         4
[BAT]========================================================================

BATMAN RETURNS
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$44.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Yes, Bruce Wayne's back, in this Lynx license of the 1992 hot summer movie
with Keaton, Pfeiffer, and DeVito. Catwoman and the Penguin have formed an
alliance, and their plan is to defame Batman and place themselves in political
power. Now Batman must save both the town and his reputation, while bringing
in his opponents for their punishment.

    Closely mirroring the movie's plot, BATMAN RETURNS makes you the defender
of Gotham City, as you run, jump, and fight through four scrolling levels.
Your enemies are a motley crew of thugs, police, and penguins, while you fight
back with Batarangs, acid vials, and your fists. Even with battle armor,
Batman is a frail creature with limited health; if he takes too much damage,
the game ends.

GAMEPLAY:
    As the description implies, BATMAN RETURNS is an action-arcade game in the
traditional run/jump style. You have a limited amount of Batarangs and acid
vials, though icons throughout the game give more equipment and health. While
the general location of enemies is fixed, their actions and appearances are
not, making patterns impossible.

    This is a hard game, as the deck is clearly stacked against the player.
You have one life, no continues, and no passwords to defeat a seemingly
endless number of opponents and their various attacks. Though four levels
might not sound like much, each level is dozens of screens large, and the high
difficulty of this game will make finishing the first stage a major
accomplishment.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics on BATMAN RETURNS can do no wrong. Gotham City on the Lynx
perfectly captures the unique architecture and moody atmosphere of the movie.
The enemies are distinctive and easily identified, and Batman's acrobatic
flips and cape-flapping jumps are among the best effects ever on a Lynx. A
pulsating theme music plays in the background, while the majority of game
sounds are recognizable but not noteworthy.

SUMMARY:
    BATMAN RETURNS is a respectable action game, and the Lynx version would be
equally enjoyable on any other platform. It offers solid action and a serious
challenge wrapped up in a hot license, making a package that's guaranteed to
sell more Lynxes.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           6.5
                OVERALL:         8
[BIL]========================================================================

BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
    Who says Death doesn't bear grudges? In retaliation for getting "Melvined"
in the second movie, the Grim Reaper has kidnapped Bill and Ted's girlfriends/
wives/better halves, the Princess Babes. The ladies were smart, though; during
their abduction, they scattered sheet music from the band's latest song along
the path. Now the two guitarists from San Dimas must follow this musical trail
through time and space, and carry out a rescue before the next Wyld Stallyns
concert.

    BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE on the Atari Lynx is really a
combination action/adventure game. As either Bill or Ted, you must follow the
time trail in your interdimensional phone booth. Each area is a maze-like
scrolling landscape, viewed from an overhead perspective, and protected by
roaming creatures. Your basic goal is to collect enough musical notes, which
reveals more pages of the phone book, which enables you to travel to other
eras. Along the way, you will find objects and meet assorted historic
figures, who ask for favors. Help them, and they return your generosity with
further aid. For more fun, two players can ComLynx together and go traveling
together.

GAMEPLAY:
    It is the adventure portions of BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE where
the game shines. Many of the puzzles must be solved by taking an item from one
time period and using it in another. Furthermore, time paradoxes are possible
and must be avoided. For example, if you find a note to yourself that a later
version of you has written, you must be sure to go and leave that note, in an
earlier time period, later in the game, for you to find in the future (get
it?). The puzzles are robust and challenging, and solutions rely on finding
the right object for the right situation.

    Like the movies themselves, this Lynx adventure emphasizes silly fun and
non-violence. The guys do not carry weapons, but can subdue certain enemies by
playing the right musical instruments. Similarly, Bill and Ted can never die.
If you are caught by a creature, you are sent back to an earlier position, no
worse for wear. The only problem is that the game can occasionally become
tedious. In tight spots, you may need several tries to get pass the random
monsters. Since the game can take a long time to finish, a detailed password
system is offered. Unlike other Lynx games, this is a true game save feature,
encoding your current score, location, and inventory.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The sights and sounds are serviceable, but not much more. Game graphics
are done in a recognizable, cartoony style, with a moderate number of
animation. There is also good use of color and detail, especially the subtle
changes in the same lands across different eras. Sounds are not really needed,
but the ones present are basic. Background rock music plays according to your
current time period, but if they become irritating, you can shut them off with
the Option 2 button.

SUMMARY:
    How you feel about the Bill and Ted movies should not be a factor, as this
game is an enjoyable package. It has a fair amount of action with lots of
rock-solid puzzle solving, and the addition of time travel offers even more
gaming potential. Though the sound and graphics are not extraordinary, in the
end BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE earns its name.

                GAMEPLAY:        8.5
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           6
                OVERALL:         8
[BLO]======================================================================

BLOCKOUT
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp. for the Atari Lynx
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
  Based on the original computer game by California Dreams, BLOCKOUT for
the Atari Lynx is clearly inspired by TETRIS. As in TETRIS, the object is to
rotate and position oddly-shaped blocks into a pit, dropping them so that
the pieces interlock. When a level is filled, the blocks in it are removed,
giving more space for more pieces. The longer the game lasts, the faster
pieces fall, until there's no room left to maneuver.

  BLOCKOUT differs from TETRIS, though, by using all three dimensions.
Pieces can be rotated around all three axes, the pit can be of variable
size and depth, and the pieces can come in very strange shapes. Naturally,
all these features add to the complexity and challenge.

GAMEPLAY:
  As in the original BLOCKOUT, emphasis is placed on gameplay over frills.
The game screen is non-nonsense, showing the pit, its contents, and the
current piece to be placed. A level indicator color-matches the layers in
the pit, and shows the depth of the current piece. Your score, the high
score for the current setup, the game settings and difficulty are also
shown. Points are scored based on the shape of the pieces and the height
they're dropped from.

  BLOCKOUT is very friendly and playable, one of those games that takes
30 seconds to learn and a long time to put down. The only hitch is in the
controls; X and Y rotations can be done in any direction, but Z rotations
can only be counterclockwise. Still, this is a minor nuisance, and the game
is still fun regardless.

  Several options let you customize the game. The pit size and rotation
speed of the pieces are selectable, and sounds can be toggled. Blocks can be
either flat, simple 3D, or a manic extended collection. Finally, you can
start playing from any of 10 speeds, though the longer you play, the faster
it gets. A practice mode, game demo and controls screen makes learning
painless.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  Graphics in BLOCKOUT are appealing, though minimal. The colors and
graphics are distinctive enough to let you know what's happening at a
glance, and watching the wire-frame pieces rotate is nice. Except for a
little music between games, the sound may as well be turned off.

SUMMARY:
  This is a nice, addictive, no-nonsense strategy game. Without any
patterns to memorize and several options to choose from, BLOCKOUT will keep
its freshness for quite some time. If you thought TETRIS was too simple,
give this title a try.

                GAMEPLAY:        8.5
                GRAPHICS:        7.5
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         8
[BLU]======================================================================

BLUE LIGHTNING
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    You just can't help yourself. Even in the midst of war, with the enemy's
overwhelming air power, with the Air Force's best pilots gunned down like
ducks, you just can't resist the urge to goof off whenever you take to the
air. But now Central Command gets its revenge: the Blue Lightning, an advanced
fighter jet, has been developed to the experimental design stage. The top
brass needs it, but doesn't want to risk the lives of their remaining
competent pilots. Guess who's deemed expendable enough to field-test a flying
prototype in the heat of battle?

    Witty storyline aside, BLUE LIGHTNING for the Atari Lynx is a first-person
air combat game in the AFTERBURNER tradition. The action is seen from directly
behind your plane as it dives and banks through nine missions. Barrel rolls
can be used to dodge enemy attacks, and a ten-second afterburner burst
provides extra speed. The Lightning is equipped with forty missiles and an
unlimited supply of cannon fire, which are used to attack enemy jets and
targets. A password for each stage allows you to start at later levels, and
the game ends when you finish the ninth mission or use up all six lives. The
only danger comes from collisions -- crash into a tree, a canyon wall, or an
incoming missile, and kiss another life goodbye.

GAMEPLAY:
    BLUE LIGHTNING strikes a perfect balance between respectable difficulty
and reasonable gameplay. The action does not go at supersonic speeds, but
proceeds at a brisk pace, and the result is that you never feel "cheated" from
being destroyed by something too fast to be seen or overwhelmed with inhuman
odds. The terrain and the placement of the enemy are somewhat random, which
prevents the game from being solved by pattern development. The game starts
off easy enough, but adds more threats at a gradual rate, and you're drawn
completely into the action before long.

    If there is a flaw, it's that the missions are not varied enough, as many
of the levels involve destroying various ground targets. To compensate, most
stages add extra rules to complicate matters -- For example, level 4 requires
you to destroy tanks while travelling through a twisty canyon, and you cannot
go high enough to fly over the rock walls. There are also a few minor nits:
the aim of the guns feels a little off, and enemy missiles can go through the
terrain, but these are easily adapted to and do not hamper the gameplay.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    One major contribution to the appeal of BLUE LIGHTNING is the game's
graphics: There's a lot of incredibly diverse stuff moving on-screen at once.
>From the flight crew that preps the plane to the sheer number of terrain and
targets to see, the game graphics never feel dull. Especially impressive are
the dancing paths of the enemy's manta-like fighters and the graceful arcs
left by the vapor trails of the missiles. The Lynx's sprite engine is heavily
used, with specks on the horizon growing into hills and mesas, and flat lands
rendered with realistic disappearing perspectives.

    There aren't a lot of different game sounds, but each one is properly
suited to its situation. The most persistent noise is the roar of the jet
engines, which is punctuated by cannon fire, flying missiles, the warning beep
of incoming attacks, and lots of explosions.

SUMMARY:
    It's very refreshing to see a game that's a challenge without resorting to
tricks or gimmicks. Success or failure in BLUE LIGHTNING is completely based
on the player's skill, and the game is recommended for all action players.
Though the levels could use a little more variety, the user-friendly gameplay
and the sensational graphics make this title a blue-ribbon winner.

                GAMEPLAY:        9
                GRAPHICS:        10
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         9
[CAL]======================================================================

CALIFORNIA GAMES
1-4 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95 (free with Lynx Deluxe package)
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    So you want fun in the sun without the hassles of zinc oxide, crowded
beaches, and the risk of skin cancer? Well, the Surgeon General has certified
CALIFORNIA GAMES for the Atari Lynx as a completely safe way to get your sand-
coated jollies. This is an adaptation of the Epyx home computer game, and
allows one to four players to compete in a number of "sport" contests for
points and bragging rights.

    (Sidebar: The instruction manual says that CALIFORNIA GAMES only allows
for 1 or 2 players. ComLynxing three or four players is possible, but tricky
-- don't give up if it doesn't work initially)

    There are four events in CALIFORNIA GAMES. The BMX bike race is a run
through a hilly, obstacle-infested course as fast as possible. Surfing lets
you hit the waves, doing stunts like riding the tube or 360-degree spins
before running out of time. Similarly, halfpipe skateboarding gives you a time
limit to try and perform as many handplants and aerial turns as possible.
Finally, you can play with the footbag, which consists of keeping a small
beanbag airborne using only your feet -- style counts.

GAMEPLAY:
    CALIFORNIA GAMES is a card for beginning video players. The individual
games are fun at first, but all of them are fairly easy, and most dedicated
gamers will master them in a short period of time. This is especially
noticeable when playing by yourself, and the game soon becomes an exercise in
"can I beat my previous score?". More contests would have helped, as well as
options to adjust the difficulty or a "tournament" consisting of all events.

    There's nothing wrong with CALIFORNIA GAMES; there's just not much to
recommend, either. Playing with other people makes it more enjoyable -- the
competition is head-to-head, and you must adjust your strategies for opponents
who are trying to trip you, run you over, or crash into your latest stunt.
This is good for some cheap laughs, but the lack of real depth in the gameplay
keeps it from retaining any permanent appeal.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The sound and graphics in CALIFORNIA GAMES are a good indication of what
the Lynx is capable of. Color, hue, and animation are used well throughout,
providing realistic-looking backgrounds and characters. The scrolling is
smooth, and there are a few graphic treats, like the semi-transparent tube in
Surfing, and the camera zoom in/zoom out on the Halfpipe.

    Sounds are also commendable, with quality music and noises everywhere.
Each game has its own, distinctive soundtrack, and the title theme music is
suitably bouncy. Similarly, sound effects are appropriately used, each one
properly coordinated for the current on-screen action.

SUMMARY:
    It's understandable why Atari includes CALIFORNIA GAMES in the deluxe Lynx
packages: It's easy, varied, non-violent (have to placate worried parents,
you know), looks and sounds well, and ComLynxable. However, with only four
basic games available, most players will want a tougher challenge soon enough.
If you don't already own CALIFORNIA GAMES, you may want to consider a
different title.

                GAMEPLAY:        4.5
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           8
                OVERALL:         6
[CHE]======================================================================

CHECKERED FLAG
1-6 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? Yes

OVERVIEW:
    It's time to strap on the helmets and head for the tracks; as the name
implies, CHECKERED FLAG presents auto racing on the Atari Lynx. The class is
Indy racing, with the ground-hugging racers that symbolize breakneck speed.
The usual elements are all here: cars to pass, curves to negotiate, and
roadside obstacles to avoid, all while trying to be the first across the
finish line. Option settings allow you to configure the game as desired, and
up to six Lynxes can be connected for a real challenge.

GAMEPLAY:
    CHECKERED FLAG is an absolute joy to play! While the game offers nothing
that hasn't been done before, it implements and integrates all of its elements
effectively. There are no bonus items, pit stops, weapons, or auto design to
complicate matters; rather, the emphasis is on pure driving skills at high
speeds. Even though the promised track editor has been left out, the end
result is an extremely fun card that captures the thrills of the sport.

    The action is viewed from directly behind your car. A course map, race
information, speedometer, tachometer, and rear-view mirrors are always
visible. Controls include acceleration, brakes, gearshift, and steering, all
of which feel properly responsive. The computer opponents are fairly
straightforward, though they manage to stay on the road better, and will try
to pass you whenever possible. Hitting another car or an obstacle may result
in a crash or a spinout, which costs speed and time. Take too many hits and
you might even lose your mirrors.

    To make things even more interesting, the game offers numerous options.
There are 18 tracks to race on, from the slightly curvy to the very difficult.
You can drive for practice, run a single race, or go for an eight-race
tournament, and your car can be equipped with one of three different
transmissions. Up to ten human and computer racers can compete, and starting
positions can be set randomly or by a qualifying lap. For an extra touch, you
can also choose the color of your car and the gender of your driver.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    CHECKERED FLAG's images are among the best on the Lynx. From cars to
obstacles, all of the graphics are elegant and highly detailed. The sense of
speed is very convincing, with the Lynx's hardware scaling used to make
everything fly by smoothly. Race information is clearly visible without being
obstructive, and other game screens are equally attractive.

    There are not a lot of different sounds in the game, but they are used
well. Engine whines alert you to change gears, tires squeal on tight turns,
and the stereo roar of other cars remind you of pass attempts. Then there are
the little extras, like the flagman's digitized voice announcing the start of
the race and the musical scores between races.

SUMMARY:
    This is a high-performance title that does nothing but pure video racing,
and does it extremely well. Crammed with exciting gameplay, fast action,
options galore, hot sound and graphics, and true multiplayer challenge,
CHECKERED FLAG is absolutely terrific!

                GAMEPLAY:        10
                GRAPHICS:        10
                SOUND:           8.5
                OVERALL:         10
[CHI]======================================================================

CHIP'S CHALLENGE
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Meet Chip. Chip is a nerd. Chip has a problem with women (natch).

    Meet Melinda. Melinda is a nerdette. A good-looking nerdette, though.

    Melinda has a problem. Melinda needs a date. Chip wants to take Melinda.
Melinda is not impressed. Can Chip prove himself?

    Chip can try "The Challenge". Mazes. Blocks. Computer chips. Buttons.
Switches. Time limits. Thieves. Keys. Doors. Traps. Force fields. Fireballs.
Water hazards. Fire hazards. Ice hazards. Chip-eating creatures. LOTS of
creatures.

    Will Chip do it?

    "Sure, Melinda!"

    See why Chip has a problem with women?

    Welcome to CHIP'S CHALLENGE, the brain-straining strategy game for the
Atari Lynx. From a scrolling overhead view, you control Chip as he tries to
survive 144 levels filled with all sorts of dangers. The object is to find
the exit of each level and escape before time expires. Complications include
deadly monsters and hazards, as well as a number of computer chips that must
be found before you can reach the exit. Naturally, each level is a puzzle;
only by properly moving blocks, pushing buttons, building bridges, and
avoiding dangers can Chip get his date.

GAMEPLAY:
    CHIP'S CHALLENGE is one of the most innovative strategy games ever
released for any system. Unlike some puzzle games, this title offers a wide
range of tasks to perform and goals to reach, and all of the puzzles are
carefully crafted to be uniquely challenging. The main objective is escape,
but the subtasks needed to accomplish this varies widely, and it's impossible
to find a universal strategy. Some levels require doing things in a certain
sequence, or repeating one motion many times over. Others have lots of
possibilites but only one answer, and still others require precise timing and
fast movement. Most levels emphasize sharp thinking over arcade action, so
players not blessed with lightning-fast reflexes will not be too intimidated.

    Another thing worth mentioning is the high degree of friendliness
in this game. Chip has an unlimited number of lives, so you can redo a level
as often as needed until you solve it. If you fail too often, the game will
let you skip the current level if desired, and a password for each level
allows you to start there in future games. Best of all, the first eight
challenges are tutorials, summarizing what must be done to solve it, and
introducing new creatures and objects at a controlled pace.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Puzzle games generally don't need flashy sound and graphics, but CHIP'S
CHALLENGE doesn't skimp on special effects. Game visuals are small but
distinctive, allowing you to see a wide area while identifying everything at a
glance. Animation is used fairly well, and the multidirectional scrolling is
flawless. Sounds are equally well-done, with distinct effects used for
everything that can happen. Even if something happens off-screen, the sound
cues help you to keep track of everything happening on the current stage.
Finally, several "electronic" soundtracks play during the game, though they
can be turned off if needed.

SUMMARY:
    The Lynx was originally designed for fast arcade-action games, but there's
no reason why it can't expand its range. With a lot of variety, a lot of
difficulty, a lot of originality, and a lot of ol'-fashioned craftsmanship,
CHIP'S CHALLENGE is a quality title and recommended for players of all kinds.

                GAMEPLAY:        9
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           8
                OVERALL:         8.5
[CRY]======================================================================

CRYSTAL MINES II
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    What do you get when you cross DIG DUG with CHIP'S CHALLENGE? The answer
is CRYSTAL MINES II, the latest puzzle/strategy game for the Atari Lynx, and a
sequel to Color Dream's original puzzle game for the Nintendo Entertainment
System. You control a mining robot whose objective is to gather precious gems
from a series of underground caverns. You must do this while avoiding falling
rocks, wandering monsters, radioactivity, lava, and the dwindling time limit.

    The robot is equipped with a digging laser and dynamite, which can be used
to fight creatures and create caverns.  Meet the gem quota for a level, and
you must next find the exit to travel to another, more complex cavern. Some
caverns offer more advanced challenges, such as gravity-altering switches and
item-changing pipes. The game offers 150 regular levels and 31 hidden levels,
ensuring lots of challenge.

GAMEPLAY:
    One of the best aspect of CRYSTAL MINES II is the diversity of game
elements, which all interact in consistently complex ways. Rocks, dirt, and
creatures can be explosive, indestructible, or easily disposed. Temporary
enhancements are available for use, such as a long-range laser, a map of the
current level, or protective shielding.  Gathering more valuable gems can help
you meet the level's quota faster; other game elements can help or hinder your
progress, depending on how you use them.

    The game elements all interact in a consistent manner, and a lot of the
time is spent learning how they interact with you and with each other. A big
reason for this is the instruction booklet (yes, the booklets are back) -- It
is deliberately general, teaching only the most basic elements of gameplay and
leaving the rest for the player to explore and discover. To make this easier,
you have an unlimited number of robots, and each level has a four-letter
password to let you play there in future games. Even better, if you take too
many tries to finish a level, the game will offer to skip it.

    Though CRYSTAL MINES II is clearly a strategy title, it places a bit more
emphasis on good reflexes than other games of this genre. This is neither good
nor bad; how much you will enjoy this title depends mainly on what combination
of strategy and action you prefer. Completing a cavern relies on figuring out
how to use the features of that level to uncover gems and equipment, stop
pursuing enemies, and avoid robot-destroying dangers. Aside from the first few
introductory stages, the levels are very challenging and not easily solved.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The sights and sound of CRYSTAL MINES II are simply functional, and no
more. The main game graphics are drawn with grid-oriented components, with
little or no animation. On the other hand, game features with similar
properties are drawn similarly, making it easier to predict how they will
react. Similarly, music and sounds are all very basic. Most of the noise comes
from the title theme, which plays throughout the game, though it can be
toggled off with Option 2. Other game sounds are generic, though distinctive
from each other.

SUMMARY:
    CRYSTAL MINES II borrows a lot from earlier puzzle games, especially
BOULDER DASH and CHIP'S CHALLENGE, and produces a decent challenge to both the
mind and the reflexes. Though it won't win any awards for special effects, the
large number of demanding levels and the wide array of game elements make
this a respectable title for any strategy game player.

                GAMEPLAY:        9
                GRAPHICS:        6
                SOUND:           5
                OVERALL:         7.5
[DIR]======================================================================

DIRTY LARRY: RENEGADE COP
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    The story sounds familiar, almost like it came from a movie: Detective
Larry has just gotten chewed out by the chief, then sent off to bring in Mr.
Snuff, first lieutenant to the city's kingpin of crime. The big man doesn't
like this, though, and sends his legions of psychopaths and gang members to
stop the cop. Larry's got a simple answer to crime scum -- he wields his .45
and blows it away. But can even "Dirty" Larry survive long enough to deal with
Mr. Big once and for all?

    That's Larry, not Harry, but you get the idea. DIRTY LARRY: RENEGADE COP
puts you in the shoes of a hard-boiled gumshoe who walks, jumps, and ducks
through seven side-scrolling stages, fighting everyone in sight. Larry's fists
are always available, but he's equally proficient with handguns, rifles, and
grenades. You have one life to live, and once you lose it, the game ends. For
your sake, Larry can take a number of hits, and icons found along the way will
restore some of his health.

GAMEPLAY:
    There's a difference between game pace and game speed. Someone at Atari
got the two confused, and decided to make DIRTY LARRY a high-speed title, a
move that effectively ruins the game balance. The computerized criminals
attack far too quickly, and Larry has no effective way to protect himself or
dodge attacks. His only recourse, therefore, is to shoot the criminals before
they come close, meaning that Larry's fine as long as he has ammunition. Once
he's out, he gets trounced.

    Larry himself is also too fast; a typical player can fly through a scene
in three minutes or less. The game has only seven levels, and the criminals,
extra ammo, and health icons all appear in a fixed order. Combine all of these
factors, and this card soon becomes a test in how well the player can memorize
appearances and conserve bullets. A savvy player can finish this title without
too much effort, but that same player would not care for the game's too-short
duration.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Weak as the game is, the graphics in DIRTY LARRY are no slouch, and put
some other titles to shame. The sprite animation is only average, but the
graphics feature incredible use of color and detail: shadows in the alleys,
lights rushing by in the subway, torn wallpaper, and lots more. A few animated
intermissions advance the plot as well. Sound effects, though, are not half as
impressive. The title theme is above average, but actual game sounds consist
mostly of gunfire, assorted thuds, and a few miscellaneous effects.

SUMMARY:
    Conceptually, DIRTY LARRY had the ingredients to be a easy, no-nonsense
action title. Unfortunately, the game balance got thrown out of sync, and the
final result lies in video limbo: young players will be turned off by the
difficulty of the game, and experienced gamers will finish it too quickly.

                GAMEPLAY:        5.5
                GRAPHICS:        8.5
                SOUND:           5.5
                OVERALL:         5.5
[DRA]======================================================================

DRACULA THE UNDEAD
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    If Bram Stoker were alive today, would he have written "Dracula" as an
interactive novel? Atari thinks so, and their reinterpretation of the horror
classic is DRACULA THE UNDEAD, a gothic adventure for the Lynx. You play the
part of Jonathan Harker, who is visiting Count Dracula to conduct real estate
business. As the story begins, Jonathan has awakened from an overnight sleep
at Dracula's castle, ready to work. However, the Count has affairs to attend
to, and will be gone until the evening. With a day of waiting and no Lynx to
spend the time, Jonathan decides to explore Dracula's quaint home. In your
travels, you will discover many unusual secrets; your goal is to escape with
evidence proving that Dracula is a danger to mortal men and possibly destroy
the Count himself. Of course, Castle Dracula is filled with danger, not the
least of which is its tall, imposing owner...

GAMEPLAY:
    As the plot summary attests, DRACULA THE UNDEAD is not your ordinary video
game. If nothing else, its gets credit for diverting from the usual sword-and-
sorcery fantasy scenario. Game control is similar to the method in computer
adventures such as KING'S QUEST and THE ADVENTURES OF MONKEY ISLAND: each room
is a graphic image, and you use the joypad to move Jonathan around and explore
it. Complex actions are done by choosing verbs and nouns from a scrolling
window to form commands like "examine drawers", "open door", or "use lamp with
tinderbox". Room features that you can interact with are indicated by having
its name appear on-screen when you pass by it. You can also talk to people by
selecting your dialogue from a number of sentences.

    The actual adventure is a fairly challenging affair, though a little bit
linear. Many times, there are several possible goals, but usually only one
will lead to progress which advances the plot. Puzzles are not easily solved,
and often nothing can be done without a certain item that you haven't found
yet. Hints are few, coming from Jonathan's musings and an occasional
narrative from Bram Stoker, and red herrings abound. It is also possible to
finish the game without winning it, since Jonathan must make enough notes to
build a convincing case against Dracula. The game assumes a little knowledge
of vampire lore, but nothing too complex, while dialogue and descriptions are
brief but appropriate.

    There are only two weak points with DRACULA THE UNDEAD, the first being
the control scheme. Each room is shown from a single viewpoint, with the LCD
screen being one of the walls, so some features are unseen, either because
they're off-camera or part of the screen "wall". Since their names appear when
Jonathan approaches them, it's only a minor nit, and enforces the need to
explore rooms thoroughly. The greater flaw is the lack of a save-game feature.
You must finish this game in one sitting; the game disables the automatic
shut-off feature of the Lynx, but if you haven't finished this title already,
it's best to play with an AC adaptor.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    DRACULA THE UNDEAD is drawn in shades of brown and tan, using impressive
"brownscaled" images that look almost like digitized aged photographs. Most of
the animation comes from Jonathan walking around, with a little gratuitous
scaling as he moves towards and away from the player. The game is sprinkled
with animated scenes, such as the conversations with other characters, and
Bram Stoker flipping pages while reading the latest plot twist.

    Sound effects are a respectable mix of machine-generated and digitized
effects, such as creaking doors and the howl of wolves, but they are few and
far between. Instead, the game's most consistent sound is a moody background
tune that plays continuously. It can be disabled with the Option 2 button if
it proves wearisome, however.

SUMMARY:
    DRACULA THE UNDEAD offers traditional adventuring fare with an unusual
premise, with enough challenge and appeal to satisfy most adventurers. The
inability to save a game in progress hurts, but dedicated players who are
willing to live with this flaw are encouraged to give the Count a visit.

                GAMEPLAY:        7.5
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           6
                OVERALL:         7.5
[ELE]======================================================================

ELECTROCOP
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Inspired by various science-fiction movies popular with the masses, in the
near future the worldwide conglomerate known as Megacorp developed you, the
Electrocop. As the only one of your kind, you have tirelessly served the
public interest, and today you have been summoned with a crisis: The
President's daughter has mysteriously disappeared, and is believed to be
kidnapped.

    Megacorp's intelligence net says that she is being held in an abandoned
warehouse by a new robotic creation called the Criminal Brain. Worse, the
place has been rendered impregnable with an array of traps, weapons, and
computer-sealed doors. Megacorp deems that only you, with your superior
design, security countermeasures, and total loyalty can breach this fortress.
You have one hour to search the building, survive the dangers within, and
confront this mysterious being to find the truth behind these happenings.

GAMEPLAY:
    When everything is said and done, ELECTROCOP is a real-time action-
adventure game presented in a three-dimensional view. Each level of the
warehouse is a maze, with drones and weapons to be destroyed and exits to be
found. You are initially equipped with a laser gun, but can find more powerful
weapons throughout the game. Many of the passages contain computer-locked
armored doors, which are opened when the proper security code is given.
Computer terminals also allow you to repair wounds, fix damaged weapons,
search for security codes, or play simple video games to pass the time.

    That's the entire game, and that's the problem. ELECTROCOP is fairly
limited in its gameplay; the only real adventuring aspects are in opening
doors and exploring the levels. There are weapons to find and enemies to
fight, but most of them can be defeated by simply firing like mad. Worse,
there is little randomness to the game -- the layouts of the levels and the
combinations to the doors never change, making this title very prone to
memorization. Most of the time with this title will be spent constantly
mapping levels and cracking codes, and as with many adventure games, once
ELECTROCOP is solved, there is little incentive to play it again.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    ELECTROCOP is played with a 3D perspective view, shown as a camera that
tracks you everywhere. This result in some of the most eye-popping effects
ever seen in a video game; you run not only left and right, but also into and
out of the action, an effect unduplicated by any other video game. Quality
graphics are everywhere, from the detailed, smooth-scaling graphics to the
cinematic sequences at the start and the end of the game. The only problem is
that your character is too large; you don't see enough to your left and right,
producing a "tunnel vision" effect.

    Sounds are a little more mixed, but still impressive. Actual game sounds
consist of explosions, weapons fire, and assorted bells and warning klaxons,
all done nicely. What steals the show, though, is the music: there are a
number of high-quality soundtracks, from classical to rock, all capturing the
intense tempo of the game itself. The futuristic title theme is especially
catchy, and runs throughout much of the game.

SUMMARY:
    This card was a brilliant concept that didn't completely clicked; the race
against the clock and the real-time exploration/combat elements are hampered
with uninspired gameplay and little variety. ELECTROCOP's stunning visuals and
sounds make it fun to watch, but whether you'd buy a game for its razzle-
dazzle is a personal decision.

                GAMEPLAY:        6
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           9
                OVERALL:         7.5
[EUR]=========================================================================

EUROPEAN SOCCER CHALLENGE
1-2 players, horizontal game
Telegames, for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Telegames, one of the first third-party developers, returns after a
prolonged absence with EUROPEAN SOCCER CHALLENGE, a portable version of the
world's most popular sport. From a side-scrolling stadium seat, one or two
players each control an 11-player team, picking from over 130 teams in 36
European countries. Game options allow changing the control scheme, setting
the length of matches, and entering passwords to resume earlier tournaments.

GAMEPLAY:
    After a string of disappointing sports games on the Lynx, I'm pleased to
say that EUROPEAN SOCCER CHALLENGE is a playable, well designed, quality
title. The amount of detail crammed into this card is incredible. Each country
has a stable of two to eleven teams, each with its own name, players, and
attributes. The team you pick does make a difference; players run, steal, and
defend better depending on who you pick. Unfortunately, there's no way to see
a team's abilities, so experimentation is necessary to find the better crews.

    The full gamut of soccer rules and actions are implemented, including
tackles (stealing), throw-outs, and penalty flags to remove aggressive
players. Controls are responsive, though a little complicated. A team's goalie
is operated by the computer, who blocks and acts intelligently. User control
goes to the player nearest the ball, and uncontrolled teammates follow a
standard formation selected before the match. Kicking is done with the A and B
buttons for high and low kicks. Holding down a button lets you aim and set the
strength, allowing you to run one way and kick in another. The overall action
is brisk, and following the game is not difficult.

    For comparative purposes, EUROPEAN SOCCER CHALLENGE is much more enjoyable
than Atari's WORLD CLASS SOCCER cartridge. There are a few quibbles, though
they are minor. Because control automatically goes to the man closest to the
ball, there is the possibility for confusion when it enters a crowd, and
chasing the ball carrier can be tricky. The instructions are also a bit
confusing, and assumes the reader has a thorough understanding of how to play
soccer. These make learning and playing the game a little more difficult than
necessary.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Sights and sounds on EUROPEAN SOCCER CHALLENGE are vastly schizophrenic.
The graphics are consistently wonderful, as game screens everywhere are done
with great use of detail and colors. Sprites are moderately small, allowing
for a wide view of the surrounding area while still showing sufficient detail.
The animation of players is average, but the actions depicted are numerous and
realistic. Scrolling is fast, although sometimes a little jumpy.

    In stark contrast, sounds are dismally dull; aside from a short musical
loop between games, the only noises are a shrillish whistle and the quiet thud
of a ball being kicked. There are no fanfares, no crowds, no other sounds to
add to the experience.

SUMMARY:
    EUROPEAN SOCCER CHALLENGE is a very respectable version of the popular
sport. The sophisticated gameplay, quality design, and crisp controls are
complimented by some very elegant graphics. Non-soccer fans won't be swayed,
but enthusiasts will find this title very enjoyable.

                GAMEPLAY:        8.5
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           4.5
                OVERALL:         8
[FID]========================================================================

THE FIDELITY ULTIMATE CHESS CHALLENGE
1-2 players, horizontal game
Telegames, for the Atari Lynx
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
  We all knew it would happen, sooner or later. After all, even
portable video gamers cannot live on action-arcade titles alone. Now
filling a void, Telegames Inc. has released THE FIDELITY ULTIMATE CHESS
CHALLENGE for the Atari Lynx. There's not much that needs to be said,
really; this is a one- or two-player version of (Western) chess,
following all of the standard rules for the game. If you don't know how
to play chess, get a different game.

  (Quick note: Though this game seems to be packaged and distributed by
Atari, there are enough signs that this is an independent developer's
effort. Everything on this game is credited to Telegames Inc., so all
praises and criticisms must fall squarely on their shoulders...)

GAMEPLAY:
  What does this version of chess offer? FIDELITY CHESS (for short)
lets one or two players play chess with a _single_ Lynx. The computer
offers 17 levels of difficulty -- 8 levels based on search depth, 8
levels based on analysis time, and an "ultimate" level using unlimited
time and searching. You can ask the computer for hints, force it to make
a move immediately, and take back moves (up to 100 full moves can be
taken back). The board offers gold and silver pieces on a 2-D or 3-D
board, and game sounds, messages, and other features can be toggled and
selected during a game. Finally, the entire current chess game is logged
in standard chess notation, and can be reviewed, along with a running
count of the players' scores (based on pieces remaining).

  The most important question, naturally, is how well FIDELITY CHESS
plays the game. Though I enjoy the game, I don't claim to be a chess
expert; however, the Lynx appears to play a very respectable game. For a
test, I pitted FIDELITY CHESS (on the Lynx's 65C02) versus the computer
game BATTLE CHESS (on a 68000). Although the Lynx took longer to make
decisions deeper into the game, it ultimately checked and mated in 23
moves. With "ultimate" mode, FIDELITY CHESS may just be almost impossible
to defeat. On higher levels, it can take quite some time for the computer
to make a move. To counteract this, the Lynx's automatic shutoff feature
is disabled.

  A few minor quibbles with the game. Control response is the most
sluggish I've ever seen in a Lynx game. Specifically, response to button
presses are not always instantaneous, for some reason. Also, while there
is an icon-driven Setup screen to help you set options, not all features
are available. Without reading the manual, you'd need an accident to find
out about features such as taking back a move (press A and B
simultaneously).

  There is one large flaw in FIDELITY CHESS, however: The game has no
"board set up" feature. The manual suggests that you can set up a game by
playing a two-player contest to the desired point, then switching to a
one-player game; however, I find this suggestion cumbersome and
unfriendly. Essentally, then, you must either finish a game at one
sitting, or log all the moves to recreate (and continue) a game at a
later time. Very dissappointing.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The graphics and sound on FIDELITY CHESS are functional, but nothing
more. That's fine, though; flashy graphics and noises can be a
distracting irritant if done improperly. The chess pieces in both 2-D and
3-D mode are clear and distinctive (though a little large in 3-D mode, in
my opinion). Sounds are similarly sparse; aside from a musical ditty
played at the title page, the only noises available are the chimes that
are played when a piece is moved, or a message is displayed.

SUMMARY:
  Telegames has made a respectable entry into the Lynx game market with
this title. As a chess game, THE FIDELITY ULTIMATE CHESS CHALLENGE fits
the bill. It plays a strong, challenging game, though it presumes some
knowledge of chess on your part. The lack of a board set-up option,
however, is inexcusable; it could have been added with very little
effort. However, if you can live with this omission, and want to play
chess on the go, then FIDELITY CHESS is a good solution.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        6
                SOUND:           6
                OVERALL:         7
[GAT]=========================================================================

GATES OF ZENDOCON
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Let's skip the story already -- there's only so many ways to set up a
horizontal-scrolling, shoot-everything-in-sight video game, which is what
GATES OF ZENDOCON is. Your mission is to fly your spaceship through various
scrolling lands, firing lasers and dropping bombs to destroy everything in
your way. There are power-up weapons, but they are few and far between, and a
password feature lets you start the game at any selected level. The ultimate
goal is to stay alive long enough for the final confrontation with Zendocon, a
giant alien who looks like a disembodied brain.

    There are a few interesting wrinkles to this title. The game features 51
levels, but you do not go through them linearly. Instead, each level has one
or more "gates", and the next stage you go to depends on which gate you exit
through. Any path you choose will eventually take you to the end, but some
routes are longer and/or harder than others. Your ship has a temporary shield
to repel most attacks, and you can suffer up to three hits before dying. The
first two hits take away your shield and your laser, respectively, and those
can be repaired at the end of a level. Finally, the game can be played in
either "Easy" or "Hard" mode, where the action is twice as fast and the score
is 100 times greater in "Hard" mode.

GAMEPLAY:
    As the first side-scrolling shoot-'em-up game for the Atari Lynx, GATES OF
ZENDOCON is not bad. True, there's nothing that's really innovative about the
game, but it does offer a lot of action. One big reason for this is the vast
number of different enemies and levels in the game: You're attacking and
attacked by everything from UFOs, columns of flame, and giant insects to
robotic walkers, space lizards, and rolling missile launchers. Each enemy
behaves differently, attacks differently, and have different vulnerabilities.
Similarly, the 51 levels are set in some very diverse locations -- beneath the
ocean, over futuristic cities, in caverns, and more.

    Many of the enemies appear and attack in predictable times, but there is a
fair amount of randomness to the action. The game difficulty is fairly
consistent, and the game as a whole is an above-average challenge. Some levels
are easier than others, but not by too much. It's worth noting that many
people will find that the "Easy" mode is too easy; the pace of the game is
half as slow as the typical arcade game, and today's dedicated players will
breeze through it without too much effort. The "Hard" mode, however, will suit
these pros just fine.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics in GATES OF ZENDOCON are adequate, with a fair use of detail
and color, but they don't completely feel right for the title. Many of the
game elements look simple and cartoony, instead of the sleek and rugged
futuristic appearance traditionally associated with these games. Sounds are
also a mixed bag. The good news is that the game features several musical
scores, each one uniquely appealing in its own way. On the other hand, actual
game sounds are mostly uninspiring, consisting mostly of explosions and the
firing of your ship's laser. Worse, the sounds of combat drown out some of the
music, which detracts. There is also a short digitized laugh at the start of
the game, but nothing truly noteworthy.

SUMMARY:
    This game makes a strong argument for not judging a book by its cover.
Underneath the average graphics and average sound is a well-rounded, pretty
diverse action game just waiting to be discovered. There is very little that
hasn't been seen before, but for players who are looking for a stereotypical
"shoot it if it moves" title (and there are enough of those out there for any
platform), GATES OF ZENDOCON is a good buy.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        6.5
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         7.5
[GAU]======================================================================

GAUNTLET: THE THIRD ENCOUNTER
1-4 players, vertical game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    No, you're not mistaken. GAUNTLET: THE THIRD ENCOUNTER is _not_ a Lynx
adaptation of any of the GAUNTLET arcade games. Instead, this was originally a
similar game developed by Epyx called TIME QUESTS AND TREASURE CHESTS. When
Atari bought the rights to the Lynx, they gave it a quick name change in hopes
that the GAUNTLET title would enhance its market appeal.

    In any event, the game pits you and up to three companions against the
demonic hordes of an abandoned castle. Players can choose to be one of eight
characters, each of whom is rated differently in speed, strength, fighting
skill, and health. Your objective is to fight through a dungeon of 40
maze-like levels, and retrieve a mysterious Star Gem of immense power. Along
the way, you will find food, treasure, keys, magic potions and scrolls, and
computer terminals(!) which offer information and sell supplies. You lose
health from time and attacks, and die when it disappears. The action is seen
from a scrolling overhead map, along with a second window that provides a
first-person view of the action.

GAMEPLAY:
    One new twist to the gameplay in GAUNTLET: THE THIRD ENCOUNTER is
inventory management. Everything your character finds is carried along until
used, though there is a limit to how much you can tote. It's possible, for
instance, to drop pots of gold and "build" a protective wall to shield your
adventurers from nearby threats. The game itself is fairly difficult, as
survival depends on both minimizing your damage and on managing your food
supplies. There is also quite a bit of creativity and variety throughout --
opponents include multiplying slime creatures, falling stalactites, and
robots, and your character choices range from cowboys to pirates to nerds.

    Unfortunately, these points are counterbalanced by a number of criticisms.
Since levels are presented in a fixed order, and the location of their
contents never change, the game becomes static and predictable. The arcade
frenzy has slowed down a bit, due to monsters who will not attack until you
either strike first or approach close enough. Worse, if a creature touches
your character, the monster disappears, reducing the overall difficulty.
Progress can often be made by standing still and holding down the attack
button, which reduces the strategy needed and increases the repetitive
atmosphere.

    The orientation of the game is worth a few extra words. Used properly,
vertically-oriented games can add to the fun, giving a taller viewing window
into the action. Here, it feels more like a gratuitous demo of the Lynx than
an aid to gameplay, as the display could be rearranged for a horizontal setup
with no loss of data. Worse, the bright backgrounds used in some levels have
been known to cause eyestrain and headaches in some players when played for
long periods.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The sights and sound of GAUNTLET: THE THIRD ENCOUNTER are pretty average,
neither highly appealing nor truly repulsive. Game graphics are small but
varied and clearly recognizable, though animation is at a minimum. Scaling is
used in several places, but not to great effect, and the first-person-
perspective "action window" does little to enhance the game. Sounds are also
short and varied, consisting mainly of clips indicating the attacks used by
the monsters and your players. A low-key background tune plays throughout the
game as well.

SUMMARY:
    This cartridge offers some good points and some bad points, coming to rest
as an average game. Several more refinements would have been welcome, but as
it is now, whether or not you should get GAUNTLET: THE THIRD ENCOUNTER depends
on whether you can tolerate its weaknesses.

                    GAMEPLAY:        5
                    GRAPHICS:        7
                    SOUND:           6
                    OVERALL:         5.5
[HAR]======================================================================

HARD DRIVIN'
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    HARD DRIVIN' for the Lynx is an adaptation of the Atari Games arcade
racing title. The objective is to drive your performance sports car around a
track, while dodging traffic and trying to finish each lap as fast as
possible. Also, the track is divided into a speed course and a stunt course,
which allow you to go at top speeds or try to survive death-defying jump ramps
and banked curves. Race well enough and you can challenge the last champion in
a head-to-head duel.

    What makes this different, though, is that HARD DRIVIN' is a true driving
simulator. You can drive anywhere on the field, and your car has weight,
momentum, and inertia, just as in the real world. Turn too hard and the car
will skid, which becomes a spinout if you don't countersteer in time. Taking a
jump at the wrong speed will result in a fiery collision, and approaching a
loop too slowly is certain suicide.

GAMEPLAY:
    HARD DRIVIN' is a straightforward game. Your sportster has four speeds
with reverse, with either an automatic or manual transmission. The action
takes place from within your car, complete with working instruments, while the
track is drawn with filled 3D polygons. The speed track is mostly flat, with
long stretches of curves, while the stunt track offers a drawbridge jump,
banked curve, and other dangers.

    Surprisingly, game speed is not a problem with this game. One would expect
that the complex mathematics of the physics and polygon graphics involved
would slow HARD DRIVIN' to a crawl, but it doesn't. While it is not as fast as
the home computer and Genesis versions, the speed of the action is not enough
of a problem to affect gameplay.

    What does anchor HARD DRIVIN' from greatness on the Lynx are two problems,
both unexpected. The first problem is in the "feel" of your car; it's hard to
tell exactly where your edges are in the game's universe. Extra room is needed
when tailing or passing another car, or else a crash occurs. Similarly, a
healthy dose of paranoia towards road obstacles will improve survivability.

    The other, more critical problem is in the game's controls. Steering,
accelerating, and braking are incredibly sensitive, to the point where
playability is severely hampered. Anything more than a tap on the joypad will
send you on a sharp turn, and the car's speed rises and falls faster than you
would expect. With the manual transmission, it's even more confusing, with
Option 1 and Option 2 used to shift gears. Players will need a lot of time and
patience to become comfortable with the controls.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The visuals of HARD DRIVIN', though not perfect, are simple and effective.
The filled polygon effects are done well, while retaining enough detail, and
help to enforce the sense of realism in the game. The instant replay scenes
are the best part of the game, using reverse angles to accurately duplicate
the conditions of your latest crash. Aside from a title song, the main game
sounds are the roar of the engine and a few digitized clips.

SUMMARY:
    Converting the complexities of the arcade HARD DRIVIN' is a difficult
task; what makes the Lynx version especially disappointing is that its
shortfalls could have been prevented. The sensations of the arcade are
duplicated well, but unweildly controls reduce this title to only a moderate
game. While the Lynx version is still playable, only the most dedicated HARD
DRIVIN' enthusiasts will derive the most pleasure from it.

                GAMEPLAY:        6
                GRAPHICS:        8.5
                SOUND:           6
                OVERALL:         6
[HOC]=======================================================================

HOCKEY
1-2 players, horizontal & vertical game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    It's a cold fact that the current Lynx library is short in sports titles.
This trend is fading, however, first with AWESOME GOLF and CHECKERED FLAG, and
now with HOCKEY for the Lynx. As the title indicates, this is a portable
version of the winter sport, and an unofficial translation of MARIO LEMIEUX
HOCKEY on the Sega Genesis. The action is seen from a mid-court arena seat, as
one or two players lead a team of five skaters and a goalie, trying to score
as many points as possible over three periods. All of the familliar elements
of hockey are here: face-offs, tiebreaker shootouts, two-minute penalties, and
the obligatory fistfights.

GAMEPLAY:
    Lynx HOCKEY contains enough statistics and options to satisfy most
players. Periods can be 5 or 10 minutes long, the computer opponent can be set
to easy or normal play, and rules, penalties, and fights can be toggled on or
off. There's a league of 22 teams, with each team rated in abilities like
skating speed, defense, and goalie skills. The default settings are modelled
after the 1991 NHL, but you can rearrange or randomize the league, and an
eight-letter password keeps track of the new ratings. If you're not in the
mood for a long game, you can practice the fighting and shoot-out sequences.

    The actual hockey contest is a one-game bout, with no provisions for
season play or a tournament. While you control one player, the computer
handles the rest of the team reasonably well. Player selection (with OPTION 1)
and puck-passing (with button B) are managable, but shooting for the goal is
quirky. To shoot, button A is tapped once or twice and aimed with the control
pad, a system that's more complicated than it sounds. Scoring is possible, but
you'll need some time to get the hang of the system.

    Gameplay is brisk, though you might briefly lose track of the puck in a
crowd. The computer opposition plays very well even on the easy setting, and
tends to rush your goalie for a quick score. When enabled, fights can occur
fairly often, but you can choose not to enter them. Common hockey penalties
are supported, such as offsides and the two-line pass, but the loser of a
fight is punished, which is inaccurate. Several screens of game stats are
available any time, covering trivia like "number of successful checks" and "%
of time on offense". The shoot-out sequence at the end of a tied game is worth
mentioning: the Lynx is held vertically as each team takes four shots at the
opponent's goal.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics of HOCKEY are reasonable. The best scenes are before the game
starts, with player poses and digitized scenes shown while selecting teams and
options. The rink holds small but recognizable players, a referee, and an even
smaller but workable puck, along with game scores and clocks. The scrolling is
a little jumpy and could have been better, and the near-digitized fights are
detracted with cartoon-like special effects.

    In contrast, sounds offer little worth mentioning. Aside from a stirring
title theme, music consists of short, simplish renditions of the American and
Canadian National Anthems, and assorted rally tunes. The game is often quiet,
with bland effects, simple sirens and whistles, and an unnatural silence from
the crowd.

SUMMARY:
    HOCKEY on the Lynx is a good, but not great, video version of the sport.
A few minor flaws, like the quirky shooting controls and the lackluster sound
effects, keep it from doing better. Still, for Lynx sports fans who can bear
its weak points, this card is a good buy.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        7
                SOUND:           5.5
                OVERALL:         7
[HYD]========================================================================

HYDRA
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    You are known as Hydra, though no government will admit you exist. You are
a mercenary whose specialty is the transport of "sensitive" packages, using
your Hydrafoil, a one-man armed speedboat. Even so, there is competition from
other agents, and danger from those who don't want your cargo delivered. Only
the best survive, but that's okay -- you are the best. Maybe.

    This is HYDRA for the Lynx, an adaptation of the Atari Games arcade title.
The action is seen from behind your boat which you pilot through nine levels
of rivers and oceans. Along the way, you can get money bags for bonuses and
crystals for extra fuel. There are also gun embankments, enemy crafts, and
other nusances, though your Hydrafoil can fly temporarily to escape dangers.
Finish a stage and you can try to win more money in a bonus stage, then buy
better weapons for the next job.

GAMEPLAY:
    HYDRA on the Lynx loses very little on the way to the Lynx. A single hit
will destroy your Hydrafoil, but that's not a problem, as your survival is
measured in fuel; the only way the game ends is if your gas tanks are empty.
This version is slightly easier when compared to the arcade, but remains of
average difficulty. Unlimited continues are available, but resets your score.
There is no randomness to the location of objects, on each level, but the
later levels use a large number of enemies and obstacles, coupled with a
rarity of fuel, to keep the game from being finished quickly.

    All of the buttons are used to fire weapons, change weapons and activate
your craft's air-lifting boost. There's a minor quibble with the controls --
you press down to accelerate and up to decelerate, but it has no effect on
playability. Unlike ROADBLASTERS, the steering is more gradual, makes driving
and aiming with the joypad reasonable.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The digitized game elements of the arcade HYDRA are respectable on the
small screen, though the colors make some items look a little muddled. Also,
judging collisions requires a little experience; your first few forays will
feature lots of collisions with obstacles you thought you avoided. Sounds fit
the action accordingly, consisting mostly of the roar of your engines, chimes
when items have been picked up, a wide variety of weapons fire, and the
obligatory explosions.

SUMMARY:
    It must be said that HYDRA borrows heavily from the game ROADBLASTERS, and
offers little that's different or unusual. That doesn't make it any less fun
or exciting, however, and this Lynx version is a decent adaptation that will
be enjoyed by action players and fans of the arcade.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        7.5
                SOUND:           7.5
                OVERALL:         8
[ISH]========================================================================

ISHIDO: THE WAY OF STONES
1-? players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Once again, the Lynx travels to the Orient to get inspiration for a
strategy game. This time it is ISHIDO: THE WAY OF STONES, a conversion of a
home computer title. You are given a set of 72 tiles, each marked with a
specific color and figure. The stones are presented one at a time, and you
place them on a board with 90 slots, next to other matching pieces. The more
matches made, the better your score. If you play good enough, the Oracle may
appear and impar some of its wisdom.

GAMEPLAY:
    ISHIDO's rules are simple, yet not immediately obvious. The basic idea of
matching tiles is enhanced with restrictions on the types of matches possible.
But in return for learning the rules, ISHIDO offers a deeply complex and
challenging experience. Tiles are matched by color and figure, with the
elusive four-match being the best play (match two by color and another two by
figure). The game is "won" by making the highest score possible, but you will
quickly find other goals to achieve, such as using all the tiles or scoring
four-matches around the starting board.

    ISHIDO also offers several variants and options. Scoring can be either the
"ancient" method, where only four-matches have value, or the "modern" way,
where all matches score. Games can be played solitare, alternating with a
computer or human opponent, or as a tournament against any number of players.
During the game, you may take back moves, ask for legal moves, and view the
stones remaining. Other options allow you to select the tile set to use, and
set a time limit for moves.

    An interesting extra is the Oracle of the Stones. Make a four-match, and
the Oracle will offer a piece of "ancient wisdom". These are excerpts of
insightful thinking, similar to the writings of the I Ching, and the player is
asked to apply them to his innermost questions. In the end, it is harmless
fun, though you can turn the Oracle off if it proves distracting.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics and sound in ISHIDO are total contrasts. Visually, the game
is stunning, with beautiful imagery everywhere from the opening fireworks to
the glimmer of a four-match. Sounds are also appealing, but are at a minimum;
the primary game sound is the click made as each tile is placed.

SUMMARY:
    ISHIDO: THE WAY OF STONES is proof that a game does not need many rules to
be sophisticated. The concept is simple, yet each new move offers a wealth of
possibilities to be explored, making this a perfect entry for the
deep-thinking strategist.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        10
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         8
[JOU]=======================================================================

JOUST
1-2 players, horizontal game
Shadowsoft, for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    It's arguable who made the best video games in the early days of arcade
gaming, but one firm commanded awe from all players: Williams. Their early
games had simple rules, lots of strategy, and a take-no-prisoners challenge
that only the best could master. JOUST for the Lynx is a version of the
Williams classic title. The player rides a flying ostrich, engaging in combat
against enemy riders. Two riders joust by colliding, and the winner is the one
whose lance is higher. The arena is a cavern of platforms, which can be walked
on or flown around.

    A few extra wrinkles make the game more interesting. Defeated enemies turn
into eggs, which hatch into more aggressive fliers if they're not retrieved in
time. Later levels introduce the lava troll who snatches riders overhead, a
nearly-indestructible pterodactyl, and vanishing platforms. Two players can
play together with the ComLynx cable, working cooperatively or competitively.
Some stages have special bonuses, such as extra points for not losing a life,
or for unseating your partner first. You start with three riders, with extras
at regular intervals, and once they're gone, the game ends.

GAMEPLAY:
    This title is from Shadowsoft, the same folks who gave us their incredible
Lynx version of ROBOTRON: 2084 a year ago. I don't need to say much -- if you
liked JOUST in the arcade, you'll love the Lynx version! It's a perfect,
flawless translation that loses absolutely none of the original's depth and
excitement. What starts off as a simple exercise in dismounting opponents soon
becomes organized chaos. Your character is soon assaulted by riders on all
sides, with more aggressive enemies hatched and on the way, and a pterodactyl
ready to assault you for taking too long.

    This conversion also has a few extra features. There are ten difficulty
levels, where more aggressive enemies appear sooner and hatch quicker at the
harder settings. With two players, you can also play in "gladiator mode",
where you configure the arena, then try to destroy your opponent completely.
Throw in a high score table to track the top five players, and you've got a
"must buy" Lynx game for action/arcade fans.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The sights and sounds of JOUST are just as faithful to the source. The
Lynx screen resolution causes a slight loss of detail, but nothing to get
upset over. The sprites are small but easily recognizable, with animation,
color, and visuals copied exactly in every detail. Similarly, almost all of
the sounds have been digitized or duplicated exactly. I only noticed one sound
effect from the original that has not been copied, but other than that, it's
all here.

SUMMARY:
    JOUST is another unbelievably excellent product from Shadowsoft. Players
who never played the arcade title will be captivated by its simple rules, deep
strategy, and fast action, while the legions of arcade JOUST fans will be in
video-gaming heaven!

                GAMEPLAY:        10
                GRAPHICS:        9.5
                SOUND:           9.5
                OVERALL:         10
[KLA]=========================================================================

KLAX
1 player, vertical game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? Yes

OVERVIEW:
    It's good every once in a while to see video games that don't have a
ludicrous plot tacked on to the concept -- Really, who can believe that the
paddle in ARKANOID is a trapped spaceship trying to reach home? KLAX for the
Atari Lynx is a translation of the Atari Games arcade strategy title, and
thankfully nobody gave it a background along the way.

    The base idea is simple: You operate a moving paddle at one end of an
advancing conveyor belt. Your objective is to catch colored tiles coming down
the belt, then either deposit them into a bin below or toss them back on the
conveyor for a little extra planning time. Points are awarded for making rows,
columns, and diagonals using three or more tiles. To complicate matters, each
level ends only when its goal is met: make six diagonals, or score 10,000
points, for example. Both the bin and the paddle can hold a limited number of
tiles, and tiles are dropped into oblivion if you don't catch it in time. Drop
too many tiles, and the game ends.

GAMEPLAY:
    KLAX in the arcade had a uniquely addictive quality about it, and the Lynx
version loses none of this appeal. Like TETRIS, the game fools you with its
simplicity: newcomers often adopt a "How hard can this be?" attitude, but are
soon enraptured by the depth and strategies possible. However, KLAX offers
more variety and a quicker pace, making it appealing to people who found
TETRIS too slow and limited. The game features 100 levels, which helps keep
the challenge high.

    With such simple rules, it's not surprising that KLAX on the Lynx misses
none of the original's features. As in the arcade, you can start the game at
levels 1, 6, or 11, and skip levels after every fifth stage. However, this
version also allows you to go to the highest stage ever reached, and offers
three levels of overall game difficulty. An unlimited number of continues is
available, and the score is cleared each time. The vertical orientation of the
Lynx is welcome here, making optimal use of screen space and allowing all of
the action to be clearly seen. The game as a whole is quick and responsive,
though the action slows down a bit when there are too many tiles on the
conveyor belt at once.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    KLAX makes full use of the Lynx's sound and graphics capabilities, and
successfully captures the bouncy atmosphere of the game. The graphics are
large and colorful, and the animations and effects of the arcade are
duplicated exactly. Even the various abstract backgrounds are present, though
some of the original scenes have been replaced with new ones specifically for
the Lynx.

    As good as the graphics are, however, what really steals the show are the
sounds and music. Crisp digitized sound effects, all from the arcade game, are
used everywhere -- the applauding crowds, the lady announcer at the start of
each wave, even the wail of a falling tile as it drops into the void.  Stereo,
heard for the first time on the Lynx, is put to great use, both during the
game to indicate the location of tiles, and in the rollicking, high-tempo,
electric guitar-loaded theme music masterpiece.

SUMMARY:
    This is an incredibly simple and totally addictive game, appealing to both
the mind and the reflexes alike, that has made a perfect transition from the
arcade. Between the friendly gameplay, elegant graphics, and stunning sound
and music, KLAX on the Lynx is highly recommended!

                GAMEPLAY:        9.5
                GRAPHICS:        10
                SOUND:           10
                OVERALL:         9.5
[KUN]======================================================================

KUNG FOOD
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Okay, how's this: For some crazy reason, your boss at the video-game
company wants to put the unstable mutagen Rynoleum into the next batch of
games. Acting on your conscience, you steal the toxic waste, haul it home, and
put it for safekeeping in the freezer. Unfortunately, you've been contaminated
into a six-inch-tall, naked, green version of yourself. Worse, your groceries
have gained sentience, and are now planning to take over the world! Can you
fight through your leftovers, cure yourself, and stop this plan cold?

    That's KUNG FOOD for the Lynx, the video game with a plot that's an
instant finalist in the "Goofiest Idea of 1992" award. You play the samaritan
in the refrigerator who kicks, jumps, and punches through five levels of
killer groceries and other hazards to save the day. You start with three
lives, and can take a limited number of hits, but the vegetables still
outnumber you. There are no continues, but power-up icons along the way will
help even the odds. Sure, it's silly, but it's no weirder than ninja-trained
terrapins, right?

GAMEPLAY:
    There's no surprise here -- KUNG FOOD is your generic "beat everything in
sight" video game. You walk left to right, up and down, and after a few steps
encounter a pack of hopping peas, potato men, or ice demons that have to be
destroyed before you can go any farther. You take hits pretty easily, and
there's not much warning that you've been hit, so watching the health gauge is
very important.

    There are a number of small quirks that may bother some players, however.
Controls are a little awkward; button A and the control pad activate punches
and kicks, which is tolerable, but it's impossible to turn quickly in the heat
of battle. Actually hitting an opponent requires a fair amount of precision,
and, depending on where you're standing, it's possible to be hit by an enemy
who you can't hurt. Working around these limits isn't difficult, but veterans
of video street battles will be caught flat-footed at first.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics on KUNG FOOD are among the most elaborate ever on a Lynx
title. There's great use of color, detail, and animation, and some fairly
elaborate opening and closing sequences, which mesh together with a consistent
level of high quality. Game sounds are pretty good and match the action
appropriately, but the background music and title theme are repetitive and
grating. Fortunately, pressing OPTION 2 lets you turn the music off while
keeping the sound effects.

SUMMARY:
    Take away the story, and KUNG FOOD comes across as a very average fighting
game that breaks no new ground. The game's controls and minor quirks may
irritate some players, but fight fans with Lynxes should look past the
silliness and give the title a try.

                GAMEPLAY:        6
                GRAPHICS:        8.5
                SOUND:           5.5
                OVERALL:         6.5
[LYN]========================================================================

LYNX CASINO
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Video gambling games are hard to promote. On the one hand, an accurate
simulation lets players experience high-rolling thrills without using real
money. On the other hand, if there are no real winnings, why bother? Other
questions about how much strategy can be developed or transferred for games
like Roulette or Craps are left to professional gamblers.

    LYNX CASINO doesn't resolve this paradox, but it does offer a risk-free
alternative to Atlantic City or Reno. This title is a collection of five
familliar casino games: Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, Slot Machines, and Video
Draw Poker. You start off with $1000, though the cashier can give you two
loans of $500 each; when your money's all gone, the game ends. You can also
ComLynx with a friend for a mini-electronic junket.

GAMEPLAY:
    The best thing about LYNX CASINO is that it faithfully captures the
experience of casino gambling. Not only are authentic rules, odds, and payoffs
used, but each game allows of the same options that its real-life counterpart
offers. For instance, Craps supports everything from the usual Pass/No Pass to
Hard Way and Horn Bets, while Roulette uses a Double Zero wheel and allows
numerous number combinations, and Blackjack is played with six decks. The only
major discrepency is that you're always the dice shooter on Craps.

    The user interface changes with each game, but is generally consistent.
Statistics are kept for each game session, allowing pros to analyze their
playing skills. As a result, LYNX CASINO can be played on two levels: casual
players can have fun just placing bets, while self-proclaimed experts can
exercise existing gambling strategies or trying to develop new ones. While
this card may not make you rich, it can be treated almost as a simulation, and
the only regret I have is that more games weren't included.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Graphics in LYNX CASINO are decent overall, with a touch of cartoon
whimsy. You guide your on-screen personna among the games and roaming
bystanders, while still images show scenes of other gamblers and the staff.
Most of your time is spent at the tables and machines, which are well drawn
with good use of color and detail. Sound effects are not so interesting; a
variety of background tunes play during the game, though they can be turned
off if desired. Other than that, game sounds are few, brief, and fairly
simple.

SUMMARY:
    There's not much that needs to be said: LYNX CASINO is a well-done,
no-nonsense video version of the Vegas experience. If you want to refine your
Craps strategem or just want to blow some imaginary money, this game will
easily fit the bill.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        7
                SOUND:           5
                OVERALL:         7
[MSP]========================================================================

MS. PAC-MAN
for the Atari Lynx
1 player, horizontal game
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
  Unless you've been living in a cave for the last 20 years, chances are good
you know of Pac-Man. The original yellow-balled maze muncher became _the_
symbol for video gaming, and spawned a flock of sequels and me-too titles.
The official sequel by Bally/Midway/Namco was MS. PAC-MAN, and now you
too can plug this game into your Atari Lynx.

  The game is simple: You control Ms. Pac-Man, a feminine yellow ball with
a mouth, through a maze. Your objective is to eat all the dots in the maze
and go to other mazes. Four ghosts chase you through the maze -- one touch
and you die. Run out of lives, and the game ends. Certain dots are
"energizers", which temporarily turn the ghosts blue and vulnerable for you
to eat them. At times, bonus foods hop through the maze, and eating them
gives even more points.

  The Lynx version features two sets of mazes. You can play with either the
original arcade four mazes, or with an alternate set of 21(!) wider mazes.
On the alternate mazes, a lightning bolt will occassionally hop through the
maze. Get the bolt, and you can push a button (A or B) for 15 seconds of
high speed. The bolt goes away if you die, finish the level, or use it.

GAMEPLAY:
  To be honest, MS. PAC-MAN is a simple game, and it's not surprising to see
it arrive on the Lynx intact. Scoring is the same, controls are the same,
and (as far as I can tell) the ghosts even behave the same. The alternate
set of 21 mazes helps keep this game interesting, especially to jaded maze
runners who mastered the original. I myself don't mind a _little_ Pac-mania
(though I think it went too far, in the end), and am happy for a maze game on
the Lynx.

  (I'm personally bummed that the two-player-simultaneous gameplay
rumored a few months ago is not present. Oh well)

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  MS. PAC-MAN is set up as a horizontal game on the Lynx, with the maze
scrunched to keep the entire maze on the screen at once. As a result, the
graphics suffer a bit. The game graphics, from Ms. P to the ghosts to the
fruits, are very small. Details (such as the ghosts' eyes) are missing,
though the game is not affected any. The only place to see big ghosts and
Pac-people are in the intermission cartoons, which are kept intact from the
arcade.

  Sounds on this game are decent, though not outstanding. Music bits (the
opening tune and intermission bridges) remain identical, cheery and light.
The game sounds are average, neither irritating nor exceptional.

SUMMARY:
  A decent adaptation overall, and a good game in its own right. I suspect
whether or not you'll buy this depends on how willing you are to have a
Pac-Maze-game on the Lynx. If you are interested, the Lynx version will
not do you wrong.

        GAMEPLAY:        9
        GRAPHICS:        7
        SOUND:           6
        OVERALL:         7.5
[NFL]=========================================================================

NFL FOOTBALL
1-2 players, vertical game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    There's no surprises here; NFL FOOTBALL for the Atari Lynx is a portable
version of the American pigskin sport. This is the sport where two teams of
eleven guys each try to carry an oddly-shaped brown ball down a hundred-yard
field into the opposing team's end zone. As a licensed game, all of the real
football teams and logos of the NFL are used, letting players fulfill their
fantasies of managing their hometown favorites. For even more realism, the
card features offensive plays designed by a real NFL coordinator, and game
strategies can be altered in real time as needed. The action takes place from
an overhead perspective, which zooms in and out of the action.

GAMEPLAY:
    Ugh.

    NFL FOOTBALL had such promise, but falls far short. This game has so many
defects in its implementation that you wonder if anyone bothered to play it
before its release. The good news is that, on offense, almost two dozen plays
are available, and each play can be improvised as needed (pass the ball on a
running play, for instance). A game lasts for four 15-minute quarters, and
two players can compete head-to-head with the ComLynx cable.

    Everything else goes downhill from there. On offense, passes are done by
holding down the "B" button, moving a crosshair to an open receiver, then
releasing the button to throw -- all performed while the opposition rush for
the tackle. Running plays are easy to perform, but they yield little yardage
and become essentally useless. When you have the ball, any touch from an
opponent brings you down, with no chances to spin or break free. The selection
of defensive plays is pitiful, with only six general defenses available, and
there is no easy way to change the defensive player you are controlling.

    Two-player games are inherently more challenging because the computer
opponent is pathethic. The Lynx has no head for strategy, and you can use the
same play repeatedly with no effect. The computer makes up for its stupidity
by making its players run faster than your team; if all your defenders are
behind the ball carrier, it's a guaranteed touchdown. Each session is a
one-game bout, with no provisions for league play, and there is no difference
between teams other than their logos and uniform colors. There are no fouls,
no way to block punts, and many more shortfalls, too numerous to list.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics on NFL FOOTBALL are clean and identifiable, yet fail to
excite or inspire. The Lynx's hardware scaling is wasted; the screen zooms in
at the end of a play and zooms out to a high overhead shot for kickoffs, but
most of the game is viewed from a static halfway height. It's possible to be
in control of an off-screen player, though it shouldn't have to be. Screen
clips highlight cheering crowds and the referee's calls, but they are simply
animated there's not many of them.

    Sounds are a little better, but not by much. Aside from a title theme, the
game is quiet most of the time, with most of the sounds consisting of a
whistle and the shlup-shlup-shlup of running feet. The digitized voices of the
referee calls are a bit muddled, while the crowd that cheers after each score
is a simple "white noise" effect.

SUMMARY:
    It doesn't help if football games on other portable game systems are no
more sophisticated than NFL FOOTBALL. The bottom line is that this game is a
futile exercise in boredom, and is certainly not fun to play nor worth the
price asked for it.

                GAMEPLAY:        4.5
                GRAPHICS:        5
                SOUND:           5.5
                OVERALL:         4.5
[NIN]========================================================================

NINJA GAIDEN
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp. for the Atari Lynx
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
  Adapted from the arcade game (and not the Nintendo adventure series),
NINJA GAIDEN represents the second Tecmo arcade conversion for the Atari
Lynx. The storyline is irrelevant; you play a lone ninja, who must defeat
all of the assorted criminals and villians in a scrolling city landscape.
Your only weapons are your fists, feet, and the occassional sword, while
the villians have more weapons and much more numbers.

  As the landscape scrolls by, you can walk and jump all over the terrain.
Enemies will come from offscreen, and you must fight them to the death.
Several attacks are possible, such as swinging from overhanging poles,
backwards jumps over walls, and flipping the opposition. Some obstacles
along the way can be broken, by throwing someone into it, and will often
reveal benefits such as extra health, lives, or a sword. For extra
pressure, you must finish each level before an on-screen clock runs down.

GAMEPLAY:
  The biggest gripe against Tecmo's earlier Lynx title, RYGAR, was that it
was a scaled-down version of the arcade original. Sadly, NINJA GAIDEN
offers no improvement at all, and some would call its curtailing even
worse. Only about half of the different types of villians are present,
though there is some variety to their attacks. The game makes up for this
deficency by bringing out even more enemies than the arcade version did.
The challenge thus comes in simply surviving a swarming attack, rather than
reacting to a wide variety of opponents.

  NINJA GAIDEN is challenging, though not exceedingly so. You start the
game with four lives, and each life can take up to five blows before
dying. When you finally die, you may continue the game up to two times with
a score of zero. The biggest problem, though, is that the game is too
short; only four levels from the arcade original are present, which will
not be enough for many action fans.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The highest point of NINJA GAIDEN comes in the game graphics. Though
they are only about average for a Lynx game (reminescent of RAMPAGE to a
degree), the visuals are almost a direct lift from the arcade version. The
smooth animation and distinctive appearances are translated intact. Game
sounds are limited to the thuds and crashes of combat, though that is a
fault of the original game instead. A background soundtrack adds a little
spice to the action.

SUMMARY:
  NINJA GAIDEN is not a bad game; it's just not a good game, either. More
sophisticated games have been done before on the Lynx, which makes this all
the more depressing. However, it is not a total pushover, which saves it
to a degree. For the arcade purist, NINJA GAIDEN is a dissappointment, but
for the Lynx player looking for an action game, it's worth a try.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         7
[PAC]======================================================================

PAC-LAND
1 or 2 players, Horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
  Anyone remember Hanna-Barberra's PAC-MAN cartoon from the early '80s?
Yes, folks, before Nintendo's CAPTAIN N hit the airwaves, the world's most
famous video game star had his own television show. The adventures of Mr.,
Mrs., and Junior Pac-Man failed with the Neilsons, but not before they
inspired Namco's arcade PAC-LAND video game, now available for the Atari
Lynx.

  Despite the presence of "pac-" in the name, PAC-LAND has nothing to do
with mazes and dots. Rather, Pac-Man is on a mission of charity, who must
take a lost fairy back to her home. So he puts her under his hat, then
proceeds to run and jump across the towns, forests, hills and deserts of
Pac-Land. The way is dangerous, with rickety bridges, quicksand, and deep
chasms to cross, not to mention the ever-present ghosts. However, if Pac-Man
looks hard enough, he can find tools, powers and secret warps to help him
complete the job.

GAMEPLAY:
  Despite the silly storyline and cute graphics, PAC-LAND is not an easy
game. There are five "trips" to be completed, spread over 20 levels; you
can choose which trip to start at, which lets pros skip the easy parts.
Each trip consists of several levels to return the fairy, then a level of
guiding Pac-Man home. Along the way, Pac-Man must dodge the ghosts, who
chase him in cars, busses, airplanes, and pogo sticks. There are also
swimming pools to be jumped, floating ledges to ride, and darkened houses to
explore, each with their own tricks and dangers. For extra pressure, each
level must be completed within a given time limit.

  Pac-Man is not completely helpless, naturally. If Pac-Man walks across
certain areas, hidden fruit will appear, which he can eat for points. There
are also energizer pellets, which enable our hero to temporarily chase the
ghosts. In addition, there are goodies such as helmets, invulnerability, and
warps to higher levels hidden in the game, and assorted known and unknown
point bonuses to try for (can you get the 7,000-plus-point bonus at the end
of each level?).

  While PAC-LAND is an engrossing "run and jump" game, it's not as complex
as other titles in this genre. The different levels offer a bit of variety,
but each level does not take long to complete. The ghosts are fairly easy to
avoid with a little careful dodging; to compensate, their appearances are
randomized, which prevents patterns from being developed.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The graphics on PAC-LAND are cute and cartoony, appropriately enough.
Pac-Man looks friendly and animated, while the ghosts are silly and amusing.
Other items are drawn with bright colors and simple designs. Finally, there
is some multi-plane scrolling both behind and in front of the action;
however, the positions of Pac-Man and the ghosts are always clearly shown.
Game sounds are similarly simple but amusing. The background music is taken
from the original cartoon show, though some people may find it irritating.
Other sounds come from the ghosts on the prowl and various game actions, but
are simply average.

SUMMARY:
  PAC-LAND is a simple but challenging action game. The cute atmosphere
masks lots of surprises to uncover, and the game requires attention to beat.
There are a few shortcomings, but they are there because the card is
accurate to the arcade original. Veteran video jumpers may breeze through
this title, but for other players, a trip to PAC-LAND is worth considering.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        7
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         7
[PAP]=================================================================

PAPERBOY
for 1 player
by Atari Corp.
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
  In Norman Rockwell's America, purehearted young men got their start in
the financial world by delivering newspapers or selling fruit. In PAPERBOY
for the Atari Lynx (an adaptation of the Atari Games/Tengen arcade title),
you play such a young man, out to deliver a week's worth of papers on either
Easy Street, Middle Road, or Hard Way.

  You start off with a bike, ten papers, and two blocks of customers. As
you ride up the street, your objective is to deliver papers to your customers
with a well-placed toss. Aim carefully -- breaking windows is a fast way to
lose a customer. Between customers, throw papers haphazardly to destroy
other people's property(!) or hit people(!!) for bonus points(!!!). At the
end of the run, you can run an obstacle course and show off your bike-riding
and paper-throwing prowlness.

  It's not all peaches and cream, though. Crashing your bike into an
obstacle (incoming traffic, pedestrians, animals, etc.) will lose you a
paperboy. Lose all your customers, or all your boys, and the game ends.
Survive an entire week and you may actually keep your job.

GAMEPLAY:
  A decent adaptation of the arcade game. Minute game details from the
arcade original are preserved intact, such as the "hidden targets" (the
catburglar, the birdbath --> periscope, etc.). Scoring and gameplay are
identical enough that veterans of the original will feel right at home.

  There are a few nitpicky points that detract, though. For one thing,
while you can slow down/speed up the bike, you cannot STOP. For another,
the Lynx version seems a little bit easier than the original. Making
mailbox "bullseyes", dodging obstacles, and generally staying alive are
easier to do. You do get to pick three different streets of varying
difficulty, though there's no way to refine the game further.

  One minor "cute touch" -- the Lynx version maintains a seperate high
score table for each street. Get a score in the top five for the street,
and you get to enter your name. No score-saving mechanism, however.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  A mixed bag. Graphics are clearly distinguishable (breakdancers from
drunks, trash cans from tombstones), but left me with a sense of "could
have been done better". Every extra graphic nicety was counterbalanced by
a weak point, leaving an overall OK graphics impression.

  Similary, the sounds are indifferential. The background music is a pale
shadow of the original, but the other game sounds are appropriate and
helpful (especially the musical riffs when you deliver a paper). The volume
of the sounds vary widely, though -- you strain to hear a delivery riff
and have your concentration broken by a (relatively) loud "car horn", for
instance -- again leaving an overall balanced impression.

SUMMARY:
  Not a bad game, though not one of the Lynx's best. It's not a fast-paced
breakneck-speed game, so people looking for relaxation should be interested.
If you can overlook average-quality graphics and sound, and did not
dominate the arcade version, this is worth trying out.

        GAMEPLAY:       7.5
        GRAPHICS:       6
        SOUND:          6
        OVERALL:        7
[PIN]======================================================================

PINBALL JAM
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    As much as I like video games and pinball, I never cared much for video
pinball games. The problem is that either the playfield is an unrealistic
collection of screen-sized subfields slapped together (ALIEN CRUSH, DINOLAND,
DRAGON'S FURY), or the programmers put in "video features", like bosses and
marble eaters (HIGH SPEED and PINBOT for the Nintendo Entertainment System).
In either case, the fundamentals of pinball end up being compromised.

    Now Atari Corp. has released PINBALL JAM for their Lynx portable video
game system. This game card contains two real Williams/Bally pinball titles,
"Elvira and the Party Monsters" and "Police Force". Elvira has you shooting
targets and ramps for pizzas, punch, and water rides with the campy Mistress
of the Dark. "Police Force" requires you to defend the Law of the Jungle
against the Drug Rat, the Loan Shark, and other animal villains. The action is
viewed from directly overhead, with the screen scrolling up and down to track
the ball.

GAMEPLAY:
    PINBALL JAM consists of a lot of plusses mixed with a few minuses. The
best thing is its high level of realism and adherence to the originals' rules
and scoring. Game physics are convincing for the most part, down to the
frustrating ramp shots that don't quite succeed, but the marble is a little
more elastic than it should be. On the other hand, this is still not a total
replacement for real pinball. Pressing the OPTION 1 button shakes the board,
and tilts are possible, but slap saves and other complex moves are not.
Still, for the time being, this is the closest that pinball purists can get in
a video game system.

    A few other changes have been made to accomodate the transition to a video
screen. The scrolling screen follows the ball, so aiming for targets at the
top of the playfield becomes harder. During multiball, the lower ball is shown
and an arrow points to the location of the other. Free game specials are now
extra balls, and end-of-game matches are gone. Each pinball can be played in
easy or hard mode; "easy" gives five balls per game, while "hard" offers three
balls and clears all lit targets after a drain. Only one player can play at a
time, but a high score table tracks the top three scores for each machine.

    Of the two titles, Elvira is a tougher challenge and requires good playing
to get high scores. Police Force is suited for beginners, and offers many easy
chances to get high scores. One minor risk is that players who are unfamilliar
with the originals will start off handicapped. The manual documents shots and
target combinations, but nowhere are they labelled or illustrated. As a
result, new players have to discover where the Pizza Passage, the Hot Sheet,
and other targets are before they can play effectively.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Graphically, PINBALL JAM literally tries to duplicate the look of the
arcade. The screen closely resembles the real games, containing everything
from playfield art and flashing arrows to transparent slides and wire ramps.
The effect isn't perfect, however, and the limits of the Lynx screen display
are clear. Some areas are colored too brightly, and some other spots are too
cluttered. The screen scrolls well most of the time, but when the balls get
extremely fast, the scrolling becomes somewhat jumpy in order to keep pace.

    The primary game sounds come from computerized approximations of bumpers,
flippers, and other obstacles at work, which are okay by themselves. Each pin
also has a selection of digitized voices from the arcade, though they are
slightly scratchy and rearranged a little with the original game actions. The
best sounds, though, are the number of background tunes play throughout,
setting the pace and keeping things lively.

SUMMARY:
    PINBALL JAM is a fun game, though it cannot satisfy the die-hards who want
the complete pinball experience. But for those of us who can accept some minor
compromises for realistic pinball action on the go, this card is a perfect way
to spend many spare hours.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        7
                SOUND:           8.5
                OVERALL:         8
[QIX]========================================================================

QIX
1-2 players, horizontal game
Telegames, Inc.
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Telegames, the first developer of third-party Lynx games, strikes the
market again with QIX. This is an adaptation of the Taito arcade game from the
early 80s, named after the Qix, a swirling helix of colored lines. The
player's goal is to draw boxes on the playing field, restricting the movement
of the Qix, while avoiding contact with the Sparx, Fuse, and the Qix itself.
Each level has a percentage threshold, and the level ends when you have
claimed the limit, with bonuses rewarded to extra territory. Higher levels
offer more Qixes, Fuses, and Super Sparx to outsmart.

GAMEPLAY:
    The original QIX was a simple game by today's standards, so it is not
surprising to find that the Lynx version plays exactly the same. The Qix
dances around the field, and you lose a life if it touches your drawing lines.
Points are awarded for drawing boxes, with more points given for daring to
draw slowly. There are 256 levels, each with its own combination of game
elements, and a password to avoid the earlier levels. Two players can compete
by alternating turns, while built-in instructions and a Practice Mode help
beginners learn the game.

    There are a few problems, however. The arcade game used separate buttons
for slow and fast drawing, but this version uses only one, which is awkward.
More annoying are the sensitive controls; a wayward diagonal can cause the
marker to jam, leaving you vulnerable. Finally, the Qix is proportionally
larger on the Lynx, making the game slightly harder. None of these flaws are
crippling, but they do diminish the game.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The simple graphics of the Taito QIX have been renovated slightly for the
Lynx. Each level uses a different pattern to fill in claimed space, and the
other visuals have been duplicated here. Sound effects are fairly simple,
consisting mainly of the buzzing of the Qix and two short tunes, though the
title page uses a nice, short digitized rock riff.

SUMMARY:
    QIX on the Lynx is a steady translation, offering no more and no less
than the original. Whether it will appeal to today's players is questionable,
but longtime devotees and people who like unusual games will probably enjoy
this title.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           6.5
                OVERALL:         7
[RAM]=======================================================================

RAMPAGE
1-4 players, horizontal game
for the Atari Lynx
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
  "Better living through chemistry"? Not for four employees at MegaVitamin
Pharmaceuticals, who -- through a mixup in the company cafeteria -- ingested
a contaminated sample of Megavitamins. Within 24 hours, Larry, George, Ralph,
and Lizzie had transmorgrified into giant animals, wrecking havoc and major
property damage throughout the United States. Worse, a rumor is now around
that an unnamed lab technician can develop an antidote for the disease, but
is hiding this information to extract extortion from the government...

  RAMPAGE for the Atari Lynx is a conversion of the Bally/Midway game from
a few years back. You play one of four monsters (one more than the original),
who travel from city to city, smashing skyscrapers, pounding cars, breaking
bridges, and eating fruits/humans/vegetables/humans/meat/HUMANS. You and
your friends can collectively wreck havoc, or clobber each other, depending
on your inclination. As you jump and climb your way through the city, the
screen scrolls to show you the action immediately around your monster.

  Along the way, you encounter the evil forces of the United States Army,
who throw soldiers, tanks, helicopters, and bombs at your 60-foot-tall self.
You can smash them, too, but they are many and you are few, so you've got to
keep yourself alive while tearing the town apart. Destroy all the buildings
in a city and you move to the next, thus effectively roaming the country. If
you survive long enough, you may be able to find the mysterious lab
technician who can restore you to your former self.

GAMEPLAY:
  This game is fun. Aside from the sheer silliness of the concept, RAMPAGE
is very easy to play, with uncomplicated controls, simple rules, and a
sense of difficulty that feels right. There is a lot of stuff to eat and
destroy, such as passing trolleys, damsels in distress, neon signs, bridges,
and cars. The Army will be able to wear you down through sheer numbers, but
if you play it safe and snatch all the food you can get, you'll be able to
hold out for a while. If you're lucky, you can find and drink potions,
which will render you invulnerable (and invisible to other players) for one
level.

  Players familliar with the arcade game will be glad to know that the Lynx
version is very close to the original, and offers more. After your monster
loses all its health, it turns back to human and slinks out of the picture --
until you activate another life. Run out of lives, and you're out of the game.
If you're playing with friends, you can continue the game with a new life
indefinetely -- until you get past level 40. After that, all deaths are final.
Your monstrous abilities to destroy are all translated intact, and the levels,
though presented on a scrolling screen, are about the same size as the arcade.
Unlike the original, though, there seems to be no difference in the abilities
of the different monsters. Watch out for crumbling buildings, and don't jump
too hard on the bridges.

  If you survive long enough, you will ultimately find a lab scientist who can
cook up an antidote to revert you to normal. Though I can't confirm it, I
think this will take _quite_ a while to accomplish. The scientist is rumored to
be in Sunnyvale, and level 40 doesn't even take you halfway around the
country; you start in the state of Washington, and it seems like you travel
counterclockwise throughout the United States. Level 40 only gets you to
Tennesee. I hear that this game offers around 100+ levels (the manual doesn't
say), and it seems quite possible.

  As mentioned before, the action takes place on a scrolling screen, so it's
possible to be attacked by someone you can't see. This doesn't matter, though,
as the game, overall, is slightly easier than the original. It's not a breeze,
though, as you will eventually get worn down by a lack of food and an
abundance of military might (the lack of continues past level 40 doesn't
help, either).

  A side note: Normally, I don't discuss manuals in these reviews, but this
time I'm making an exception. There's a lot of things that you can do in
this game, but are breezed over or completely ignored by the manual. For
instance, you can grab a dynamite pack and hurl it away before it explodes.
Or grab and HOLD ON to a civilian for points. I don't know whether the
omissions were intentional or not, but it's a good idea to TRY EVERYTHING --
you may turn up a surprise or two.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The game graphics in RAMPAGE are similar, but not identical to, the
arcade original. There's nothing wrong with that; game elements are clearly
recognizable, and rendered in the same cartoony, tongue-in-cheek mentality
that arcade fans will recognize. Especially delightful are the little "cute
touches". Punch an electrical applicance and get shocked, eat an undigestible
object and cough up, swallow some dynamite and breathe fire -- there's a lot
of visual humor in this game. Between cities, the newspaper headlines present
the city, the level, and offers bad jokes (there's monster humor, cow puns,
and subliminal ads for Atari, to name a few).

  The sounds in this game are appropriate, but not special. Sound effects
match the game action, as it should. During the game, bouncy/cheery
background music plays, sounding similar to the tunes found in CHIP'S
CHALLENGE. Fortunately, if it bothers you (I think it's for the wrong game,
myself), you can turn the tunes off and keep the sound F/X.

SUMMARY:
  RAMPAGE for the Lynx reminds me of XENOPHOBE for the Lynx: A lighthearted,
silly game that's lots of fun for lots of players (the more the merrier).
Though it's not hard to play, I feel that there's going to be lots of hours
invested in this card before someone finishes it. If you like the arcade
original, like multiplayer cooperative/competitive games, or are looking for
a casually-paced challenge, RAMPAGE is the way to go.

                GAMEPLAY:        9.5
                GRAPHICS:        8.5
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         9
[RAP]=========================================================================

RAMPART
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$29.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Longtime players fondly remember the Golden Age of video games, where
flashy graphics and sound didn't matter as much as a solid idea backed with
good gameplay. Even though most of today's games fall into recycled formulas,
every now and then there's a title that gets attention simply for daring to be
different.

    Such is the case with RAMPART, an adaptation of the Atari Games' arcade
machine. The player is the warlord of an enclosed castle; cannons are placed
behind the walls and used to repel enemy attacks. After each battle, holes in
the wall must be patched with Tetris-like pieces before the next attack, else
the game ends. One player can compete against a computer-controlled navy
through eight levels, or two players can fight each other, with or without
the computer.

GAMEPLAY:
    Lynx RAMPART is a near-complete copy of the original. The Lynx controls
are a respectable substitute for the arcade's trackball. In a one-player game,
a level ends after enduring a number of attacks, and survival is the final
goal. Against the computer, the difficulty starts off moderate and builds
gradually, with higher stages having more ships and stranger-shaped wall
pieces. A two-player game ends when one player loses, and all games have a
limited number of continues. There is one difference that devoted fans will
notice: On the Lynx, all ships can drop off ground forces, which makes
defending your shoreline very important. This change makes the game more
difficult, but not unplayable.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    RAMPART in the arcade used simple but uninspired graphics, which the Lynx
duplicates exactly. To compensate, this version also shows a number of elegant
animated and still images between breaks in the action. There are not too
many sounds, but the ones present are well done, with explosions, musical
themes and dirges, and digitized voices.

SUMMARY:
    RAMPART on the Lynx is a good adaptation, and is a welcome change from
today's recycled arcade themes. For those who've never tried this unusual
game, its original blend of action and strategy can be quite addictive, and is
well recommended.

                GAMEPLAY:        8.5
                GRAPHICS:        9.5
                SOUND:           9
                OVERALL:         8.5
[ROA]======================================================================

ROADBLASTERS
for one player
by Atari Corp. for the Atari Lynx
$39.95

OVEVIEW:
  We don't really need a storyline for this game, and the one that comes
with the manual is a bit on the cheesy side, so let's skip it. ROADBLASTERS
is an adaptation of the arcade hit by Atari Games/Tengen, which also had
the dubious distinction of being one of the earliest video game/toy tie-ins
(Play the game, buy the Matchbox cars). People who are familliar with the
arcade game can skip the next two paragraphs; this Lynx adaptation has it
*ALL*.

  The game, in a nutshell, is SPY HUNTER crossed with POLE POSITION, thrown
into the 21st century. This is a concept that long-time Los Angeles residents
(like myself) will appreciate: You drive a high-performance sports car
through 50 crowded, twisting races. Other cars in your path are out to stop
your commute, so either pass 'em or shoot 'em. Complicating the matter are
third-party obstacles: roadside obstacles and cannons, immobile mines in the
road, and roving spikers. Contact with any obstacle destroys your car.

  To be fair, you have a few tricks on your side. Your only major concern
in this game is fuel -- run out of gas, and the game ends. There is no
time limit, and collisions are only annoying because they slow you down.
Furthermore, at various points in the race, a jet will fly by and air-drop
"power-ups" for your car. These range from the high-speed Nitro injector
to the all-destructive Cruise Missile (my favorite).

GAMEPLAY:
  As I wrote above, people familliar with the arcade game will be right at
home with this one. Just like the Lynx version of KLAX, this adaptation
features *ALL* of the gameplay from the arcade, intact. Indestructable blue
limos, high-turbine motorcyclists, level warps, power-up weapons, the bonus
multiplier...The only things missing from the arcade to this card are the
coin slots, the high score table, and the free T-shirt contest. If you
lose a run, you can continue (up to four times) if you want.

  The game is really fast and challenging, and it's hard to find anything
wrong with the game. The game promises to be a no-holds-barred, high-speed,
action-packed thriller, and it delivers. My only gripe comes with the
controls; as with most home video driving games, steering with a
joypad/joystick is not as accurate as using a steering wheel/control yolk.
This is doubly annoying in ROADBLASTERS, because you need precision steering
to both dodge obstacles and shoot well. With a little bit of practice,
though, you will get used to the controls, and *REALLY* enjoy the game.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  One reason this Lynx adaptation is so close to the arcade comes from the
audios and visuals. Visually, everything looks either identical or VERY
close to their arcade counterparts. The graphics are well-detailed,
distinctive, and very colorful. The Lynx's graphics hardware are put to
great use -- the smooth scaling and fast scrolling work together to make this
one of the slickest, fastest, and most exciting driving games for ANY home
video game system currently available. This game shows off the Lynx at its
best.

  Sounds are, similarly, a little short of perfection when compared to the
arcade. The opening title tune, digitized voices, and game sounds are all
from the arcade (I love the whine of the motorcycles when you pass them).
However, the digitized voices have a bit of static to them (especially
dissappointing when you realize how clean the voices on KLAX are), and the
music is louder than the rest of the sounds, causing an annoying imbalance
as you play. All in all, though, the game sounds fit the game accurately.

SUMMARY:
  This is a mind-blowing *AWESOME* adaptation. I'd recommend it to most
video-game players -- fans of driving games, fans of shooting games, fans
of action games, and fans of the arcade original. It's a challenging,
well-balanced arcade/action game, faithful to the original, worthy of the
Lynx and offering lots of hours of fun.

  This goes right up there with BLUE LIGHTNING as one of the best Lynx games
around. Grab yourself a copy, but don't be surprised if they dissappear FAST.

                GAMEPLAY:        9.5
                GRAPHICS:        9.0
                SOUND:           8.5
                OVERALL:         9.0
[ROB]=========================================================================

ROBO-SQUASH
for 1 or 2 players
by Atari Games
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
  It's the 31st century, and after 200 years of peace, there is a conflict.
The two political parties of the universe are arguing over a successor to
the recently-deceased President of the World. Instead of settling the
dispute through barbaric warfare or elections, both parties have sent a
representative to play the zero-gravity game of Robo-Squash. The winning
player will win the Presidency for his party. Guss what? You're one of the
players.

  The Robo-Squash game consists of 16 rounds. For each round, you sit at
one end of a zero-gravity corridor. At the other end is your opponent, and
in the middle are spinning bricks and some icons. A ball is batted back and
forth between the players, picking up speed and knocking out obstacles as
it goes. A round ends when one player fails to return the ball three times,
or one player hits the roving mecha-spider that appears when all obstacles
are knocked out.

  The game is complicated by a few twists: First, missing a ball leaves a
big red splotch on your end of the arena. This is more than a nuisance,
it blocks your view of the ball and makes it harder to see incoming shots.
Second, hitting the icons in the middle of the arena gives you (if you can
catch it) power-ups: a ball grabber, a larger paddle, a fireball launcher,
or a ball spotter are available.

  Before each of the 16 rounds, a player picks a ball in a 4-by-4 grid to
play for. Winning a round wins the ball for the player, and at the end of
all the rounds, bonuses are awarded for getting grid entries in 2, 3, or
4-in-a-rows.

GAMEPLAY:
  ROBO-SQUASH is a nice, well-balanced "sports game" (okay, sport-like).
The general concept reminds me of PONG, BREAKOUT, SHUFFLEPUCK CAFE, and
ARKANOID. The game and controls are easy enough to learn, and the addition
of power-ups, vision-blocking, and fighting for grid positions make it more
interesting. The game has four difficulty levels, which affect the top speed
the ball can get and the intellect of the coputer opponent.

  ROBO-SQUASH can be played either against the computer or another player.
The computer opponent is good, but not unbeatable -- like video tennis
games, alternating volleys to extreme ends of the arena can trip it up.
Human opponents, though, are another matter; use strategic shots (to set
up vision-blocking splotches) or fireballs (exploding bricks obscure the
view temporarily) to distract your opponent.

  One minor annoyance: You can angle the return of the ball by hitting it
on the edge of the padde OPPOSITE from where you want to go (make it go
down by hitting it with the top edge, for instance). Once you understand
it, ball control is easy -- but until then, it's a mystery. The manual
is of little help here.

GRAPHICS/GAMEPLAY:
  From an original name of "3D Barrage", ROBO-SQUASH makes good use of the
Lynx's scaing capabilites. The 3D effects of the game are very well done;
the ball's size changes and the use of two ball shadows make it clear
where the ball is, and the obscuring blotches are a neat idea. The rest of
the graphics are functional, though the power-up icons are a bit cute (a
dragon's head for the fireball launcher, for instance).

  Sounds are passable but not notworthy, repeating the trend in PAPERBOY
and XENOPHOBE. The actual gameplay is mostly silent, with only the sound
of the bouncing ball and smashed bricks punctuating. The only real music
comes in the opening title tune, and while it's nice, it's not enough.

SUMMARY:
  A good, slightly above-average game. Playing it by yourself is fine, since
the difficulty levels let you tune the computer to your skills. I suspect,
though, that playing it with another person would be more fun. Best for
players who are looking for a sports-type game for the Lynx (at least
until TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL comes out).

        GAMEPLAY:       7 to 8 (depending on difficulty/number of players)
        GRAPHICS:       7
        SOUND:          6
        OVERALL:        7
[ROO]======================================================================

ROBOTRON: 2084
1 player, horizontal game
Shadowsoft Inc.
$34.95
Stereo? Yes

OVERVIEW:
    Shadowsoft, a newcomer to the Lynx development scene, takes video gamers
back in time with their first release. The destination is 1984, where Williams
Electronics' ROBOTRON: 2084 is taking arcades by storm. In a plot reminescent
of the movie Terminator, you play a laser-firing mutant who must save the last
humans of Earth from extermination by the mechanical Robotrons. Destroy all
the Robotrons, and you travel to the next stage, with even more dangers.

GAMEPLAY:
    Williams' video games were respected as true challenges, with no mercy
for the weak, and Shadowsoft's version is no exception. ROBOTRON on the Lynx
is just as fast and tough, with absolutely nothing missing nor abridged. The
action is viewed from overhead, and you must navagate around each level,
saving humans while keeping yourself alive. The difficulty can be set to one
of five levels, though even the easiest is a challenge.

    Anyone familliar with the original ROBOTRON will know that the controls
will present a problem. In the arcade, two joysticks were used, allowing you
to move and fire independently. In response, Shadowsoft has provided three
different control schemes, using different methods of aiming and firing. This
is an acceptable substitute, and each player will find a setting that works
for himself.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    ROBOTRON's faithfulness goes down to the smallest detail, as the sights
and sounds of the arcade machine are duplicated exactly. Game elements are
distinctive enough, though their may be some confusion in the heat of the
battle. All other visuals are copied as well, right down to the storytelling
attract mode. Similarly, the sounds of the original have been rendered
exactly, down to the last zap and explosion. Most of the game is played in
mono, though the moody title tune and the effect when you die are done in a
subtle stereo.

SUMMARY:
    ROBOTRON on the Lynx loses none of the intensity of the classic title.
Though the controls are a minor sticking point, they can be worked with,
leaving this a game of intense non-stop shooting action. If Shadowsoft's
future works are as good as this, Lynx owners are in for a lot of fun.

                GAMEPLAY:        8.5
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           8.5
                OVERALL:         8.5
[RYG]=======================================================================

RYGAR
by Atari Corp.
for 1 player, horizontal game
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
  It has been over 10,000 years since the demonic hordes of the underworld
drove our people away from the fertle farmlands and forced us into hiding
on the desolate slopes. Now, however, the predictions of the ancient sages
has come true. You are Rygar the Reclaimer, born of the mystic birthmark,
who has the power and the skill to weild the warrior's shield, destroy the
demons, and bring our people home. 

  Okay, so the storyline is nothing original. RYGAR for the Lynx is an
adaptation of the Tecmo arcade game, where you play the barbarian hero out
to battle monsters and beasts across the land. You run from left to right
across a scrolling screen, fighting monsters and grabbing artifacts along
the way. Your weapon is your armored shield, which, when thrown at the
monsters, returns to your hand. If there are too many creatures to be
destroyed, you can stun them for a few seconds by jumping on them.

  The artifacts you find along the way will either give you additional points
or extra fighting powers. You must be careful in your travels, however.
Touching a non-stunned creature, or falling off the path, spells instant death
for Rygar. Run out of lives, and the game ends. You face opponents such as
headless zombies, flying griffons, and giant rolling worms across 23 levels.
Clear all the levels, and you will return peace to the land.

GAMEPLAY:
  Okay, how's it play? As an arcade adaptation, RYGAR is almost -- but not
completely -- identical to the arcade version. Veterans of the original
will notice a few differences in the gameplay. For instance, you can't
throw your shield in a protective arc, and throwing the shield upwards is
possible only if you have a "star" artifact. There are other minor differences
as well, but this is an adequate adaptation for the most part.

  On the plus side, the controls are easy to use, and the game difficulty is
not set too high. The game is mostly patternized, with a few random elements
in terms of what artifacts appear. You start off with three lives, and get
extra Rygars at certain point intervals (the first three are at 50,000,
100,000, and 175,000 points). When you die, there is no "continue" feature,
and no "skip levels" feature, so this is largely an endurance contest.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The graphics on RYGAR are identical to the arcade version. Both Rygar and
the demons are clearly distinctive, detailed, and animated identically to the
arcade. The landscape is done in two-level multilayered scrolling, with nice
details and some background animation. While it's not MICKEY MOUSE AND THE
CASTLE OF ILLUSION, it is sufficently well done.

  Sounds are a bit weaker, however. The game effects are appropriate and
adequate, though the bells that signal the presence/taking of artifacts can
get irritating. The background music is reminescent of the arcade tunes -- a
low rythmic drum beat during gameplay and a musical interlude between levels
-- but suffers from either being too low-volumed or too high-pitched.
Fortunately, you can turn off the music by pressing Option 2 before starting
the game.

SUMMARY:
  RYGAR for the Lynx is a "typical" game, neither extremely outstanding nor
truly dissappointing. While fans of the arcade game will find slight
differences, it's close enough to be familliar (especially since the only
other adaptation was a vastly different game for the Nintendo). Though
there are only 23 levels, the lack of a level skip and game continues means
this is an average-difficulty endurance contest which will take some time
to finish.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        8.5
                SOUND:           6.5
                OVERALL:         7.5
[STU]=========================================================================

S.T.U.N. RUNNER
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Take the New York subway system, throw in a hovercraft cruising at 900
MPH, and you have S.T.U.N. RUNNER, the latest Atari Games' arcade sensation
adapted for the Lynx. The game starts off simple enough: just drive your
S.T.U.N. sled up, down, and around a twisting course of tunnels and walkways,
trying to finish it in the brief amount of time given. Complicating the matter
are the other cars in the passages, trying to ram and slow you down, as well
as passing jets trying to bomb your craft. While firing back, you must keep an
eye on the track, for reckless driving will slow you down, which can cost you
the race. There are over 20 levels, each with its own variety of twists,
branches, jumps, and obstacles.

GAMEPLAY:
    S.T.U.N. RUNNER on the Lynx is both a thrilling action game and another
shining translation. In terms of action, the gameplay is fast and furious,
requiring you to negotiate the twisting track, deal with opponents, and go for
bonuses all at the same time. Enemies may be dodged or destroyed, though you
can unleash a road-clearing Shockwave if things get too thick. The only time
you really get to relax is while examining the map between races.

    As a conversion, S.T.U.N. RUNNER offers all of the game features found in
the original. Each of the arcade courses have been faithfully duplicated, with
the same combination of narrow tunnels, jump ramps, and other track features.
Similarly, the opposing vehicles are as varied and tenacious as ever, blocking
your path in the most annoying ways. Finally, challenge stages are scatted
throughout the game for extra points.

    There are a few imperfections, but they are very minor. The steering
controls are a little sensitive, and beginning players will tend to oversteer.
The problem is not critical, however, and players will adapt to them in a
short time. The Lynx version is also harder than the arcade game: turning
improperly into a curve will slow down your craft significantly. Coupled with
the tight time limits on each track, this can cost you the race.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    S.T.U.N. RUNNER on the Lynx exploits the graphics engine completely.
While the original game drew everything with filled polygons, this version
duplicates it with scaled sprites. The end result is not as refined, but the
action is incredibly fast -- you really get the sensation of flying at
supersonic speeds. Distinctive-looking enemies, sharp backgrounds, and
intermissions round out the sensational effects.

    Sounds are also very good, with a constant barrage of blasts, screeches,
and explosions pulling you into the action. Even better, sound effects and
voices are digitized from the original game, giving strategies, tips, and
encouragement throughout.

SUMMARY:
    This game is a high-quality production from beginning to end, retaining
all of the action, thrills, and speed of the original game. The Lynx's
abilities are exploited to the fullest, making this version of S.T.U.N.
RUNNER a fully-loaded action extravaganza and the best adaptation now
available for any machine.

                GAMEPLAY:        9
                GRAPHICS:        9.5
                SOUND:           9
                OVERALL:         9
[SCR]=======================================================================

SCRAPYARD DOG
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
    Louie is back for the first time. No, that's not a contradiction; the
big-nosed junkman from the Atari 7800 game SCRAPYARD DOG returns in this new
adaptation for the Atari Lynx. As before, Louie's pet dog Scraps has been
kidnapped by Mr. Big, and it's up to him to rescue his pet pal by running,
ducking, and jumping through 24 stages.

    Along the way, Louie will face Mr. Big's animal gangsters, such as rat
mobsters and rock-dropping birds. He can fight back by lobbing tin cans, or
try to sidestep the problem all together. He can also find money, play in
hidden bonus sequences, and go shopping. However, a timer counts down each
level, so Louie can't dawndle too long.

GAMEPLAY:
    SCRAPYARD DOG offers solid game action in an easy-to-learn package. The
controls are simple and logical, and Louie himself responds sharply to your
moves. The action takes place on a side view, horizontally scrolling
playfield, though some scenes scroll vertically as well. Game dangers are
clearly visible, which prevents you from getting killed by a blindsided
attack. Players comfortable with Bonk or Mario will be right at home with
Louie.

    Though the mechanics are very familiar, SCRAPYARD DOG keeps things
intersting by good use of variety throughout the game. The trip starts off at
the scrapyard, but winds through, above, and below the rest of the town. With
vehicles to drive, places to explore, and villians to foil, the player is
kept pretty busy.  Things never get too hectic, though, and overall the game
runs at a leisurely clip. As with other games in this genre, there are very
few random elements, so patterns can be developed over time.

    The most interesting parts of the game are the numerous secret bonuses and
diversions. There are stores along the path where Louie can buy useful items,
such as weapons or protection. Also, hidden throughout the landscape are
various bonus scenes. For instance, by hopping on the right keys of a giant
organ, or winning a shell game, Louie can pick up more money and benefits.
There are also other bonuses, both hidden and overt, sprinkled throughout the
game for the player to find.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics in SCRAPYARD DOG are simple and entertaining. Game elements
are easily identifiable and drawn in primary colors with a minimum of detail.
There are also extra touches that add to the fun, such as an animated opening
cartoon, and Mr. Big's taunting notes throughout the game. Sounds are pretty
basic, offering appropriate but generic noises with a musical tune thrown in.

SUMMARY:
    Despite the cute graphics and the simple plot, this title offers good
clean fun for players of all ages. The numerous hidden surprises and the
variety throughout only add to the game's appeal, making SCRAPYARD DOG a
well-recommended title.

                GAMEPLAY:       8.5
                GRAPHICS:       9
                   SOUND:       7
                 OVERALL:       8.5
[SHA]======================================================================

SHADOW OF THE BEAST
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    The Beast is back! SHADOW OF THE BEAST for the Lynx is -- no surprise -- a
conversion of the popular Psygnosis computer game. You play an inhuman demon,
stripped of your human identity by the dreaded Beast Lord, and who has just
now learned of your lost heritage. Now driven by rage and revenge, you must
run, jump, and fight through a number of multidirectional scrolling stages to
destroy the fiend and rest your soul. Along the way, you will unravel puzzles
and hunt for tools and weapons, but an army of minions and many traps stand in
your way.

GAMEPLAY:
    The original version of BEAST was notorious for being incredibly
difficult, and this version is just as hard; it is one of the toughest Lynx
games you can buy today. You have only one life, and your lifeblood is quickly
whittled away by relentless attacks and sheer drops. The game offers three
continues, but there is no way to save a game or to skip earlier stages. The
game is immensely large, with dozens and dozens of places to explore, and
players are advised to allocate lots of free time for this title. Simple
controls allow you to jump, attack, and select weapons, though you cannot
instantly change directions.

    What elevates SHADOW OF THE BEAST from being another rehash of DONKEY KONG
is its adventuring aspects. While there are platforms to jump and enemies to
destroy, blindly going forward will get you nowhere. Instead, the only way to
make progress is to thoroughly explore each area. The adventuring aspects of
this game are simple and very linear. Each problem has one path to the proper
solution, and deviations from that are harder or simply impossible. Also, some
areas require prior knowledge, which you can get only by experience from
earlier games. To be fair, this game pulls no sudden surprises; when you die,
for instance, you know exactly what mistakes led to your demise.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics on BEAST are some of the best ever seen on a Lynx. Fantastic
use of color and detail makes for realistic characters and backgrounds, topped
off with fine, multilayered parallex scrolling. Your on-screen personna runs,
turns, and jumps with fluid, lifelike animation, and many of the game's
antagonists are equally well done. The game sounds are slightly above average,
though they do not come too often. Much better, though, are the many
background tunes running throughout the game, all of which are terrific,
atmospheric, and haunting. You can press Option 2 to turn them off, but you
won't want to...

SUMMARY:
    SHADOW OF THE BEAST hits the Lynx without losing any of the relentless
challenge from the original. It is an audio-video feast, but the game's high
difficulty level and gameplay may turn off some players. Still, if you relish
a serious, take-no-prisoners video game, this title is just the ticket.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           8.5
                OVERALL:         7.5
[SHN]========================================================================

SHANGHAI
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp. for the Atari Lynx
$39.95

OVERVIEW:
  In 1986, before TETRIS, a company called Activision (now known also as
Mediagenic) took the ageless Chinese game of Mah Jongg and twisted it into
a computer puzzle challenge for the 20th century. This game became an instant
hit, largely due to its simplicity: Players remove matching pairs of tiles
from an organized heap, trying to remove as many tiles as possible.

  Now the game returns, in color, portable, and expanded, on the Atari Lynx.
As in the original SHANGHAI, you are presented with 144 Mah Jongg tiles
arranged in an organized, three-dimensional heap. By selecting matching pairs
of "free" tiles (tiles not blocked by other tiles to the left or right), you
whittle down the pile, and ultimately -- if your strategy is wise -- clear
the heap. The Lynx version is expanded from the original with alternate board
sets and two-player options, while retaining all the features of the original.

GAMEPLAY:
  SHANGHAI is like TETRIS, KLAX, or a Rubik's Cube: it looks so easy to solve,
but actually beating the challenge is another matter. Players who are familliar
with SHANGHAI elsewhere will have no problem with the Lynx version, as the
original gameplay has been kept completely intact. You move an arrow around
the screen with the joypad, pressing the "A" button to select tiles, and the
"B" button to deselect them. During the game, pressing Option 1 will provide
you with extra features -- previous best scores for this board, changing the
way tiles are displayed, restarting the game, or a starting-tile hint. Scoring
is done by both the number of tiles you have removed, as well as the amount of
time you take to finish the game (an on-screen clock is provided).

  As mentioned before, the Lynx version has been expanded from the original.
Before the game starts, you can choose to play on one of seven tile
configurations: Dragon (the original), Hawk, Butterfly, Fish, Bear, Spider,
and Turtle. With two Lynxes ComLynxed, you can play either Alternating
Competitive, Simultaneous Competitive, or Cooperative. The game even offers
built-in instructions, for on-the-spot teaching.

  A special word goes out to the instruction manual. In this age of short and
sparse game instructions, the SHANGHAI manual goes beyond the call of duty,
presenting not only the fundamentals of gameplay, but some historical
background into the Chinese Mah Jongg game, the origin of the tile symbols,
and some very helpful strategies. There's even a slightly-silly storyline,
for people who must have a tale for everything.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  One major reason why SHANGHAI on the Lynx is so playable are the graphics.
All of the tiles are clearly recognizable at all times, both in their symbols
and their height on the board. Tiles can be displayed either as a number and
a symbol (e.g., a "3" and a bamboo), or as the actual Mah Jongg tile image
(e.g., three bamboo sticks). To further help identify the tiles, a magnified
picture of the tile under your pointer is displayed (if the tile is "free"
for removal), thus eliminating all ambiguity. Other game graphics are equally
functional without being intrusive.

  Sounds are not really needed for this game, but the Lynx version provides
them anyway. Tiles are selected with a resounding click, and a buzzer alerts
you when you have made an illegal move. Option 2 selects from one of four
background tunes, as well as total silence.

SUMMARY:
  This is an excellent version of SHANGHAI, preserving all of the charm of
the original game while throwing in enough twists to make it stand on its
own. For fans of the original who want to play on the go, and for players
interested in an engrossing, always-challenging puzzle for the Lynx, SHANGHAI
is recommended without any reservations.

                GAMEPLAY:        10
                GRAPHICS:        10
                SOUND:           9
                OVERALL:         10
[STE]=================================================================

STEEL TALONS
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Once again, the Lynx dares to go where other portable game systems fear to
tread, with an adaptation of STEEL TALONS, the arcade helicopter flight
simulator. Your objective is to fly a military chopper through twelve filled-
polygon missions, blowing away enemy armaments and camps while staying alive.
Each of your four helicopters can take a small number of hits, and the battle
computer and instruments provide lots of information, but in the end it takes
skill and strategy to win. Are you up to the challenge?

GAMEPLAY:
    Confession time -- when I heard that STEEL TALONS was being adapted for
the Lynx, I shuddered in fear. After all, the last attempt at a polygon
simulator was the very disappointing HARD DRIVIN'. If the Lynx couldn't handle
a car, how much worse would a helicopter simulation be? Surprise! STEEL TALONS
is a LOT of fun to play, and represents the cutting edge of Lynx software
technology. John Sanderson and NuFX have learned a lot from their earlier
effort, and this title is to be commended.

    Three features from the arcade game have been removed from the Lynx: The
ability to play two players simultaneously, the use of fuel limits, and the
option to completely simulate an Apache helicopter's control set (the arcade
default used simplified controls to make flying easier). Otherwise, everything
else is preserved. You have control of your speed, altitude, and heading, and
instruments show everything from structural integrity to ammo remaining to the
location of you and your targets. The game can be seen either from behind your
chopper, or from the cockpit for double points. The instruction manual is a
little sparse on details, leaving players more about the game to discover.

    The steering yolk, pedals, and stick of the original STEEL TALONS have
been streamlined; all of the Lynx's buttons are used, alone and combined, to
give you total control. Learning the scheme takes about ten minutes, but it's
a worthy investment. Unlike HARD DRIVIN', everything is properly responsive
and the controls are reasonable. One quirk that may confuse some players is
that "flight" controls are not used; pressing up takes you higher, not lower.
This shouldn't bother most players, however.

    Overall, the game is fairly hard and challenging, and careless players
will be quickly decimated. Missions are progressively difficult, ranging from
a training run to night hunting to weaving through tall canyons. Each mission
is timed, and finishing a mission fast enough earns bonuses. You have a set
number of machine gun rounds, rockets, and guided missiles, with the battle
computer finding targets and helping your aim. You'll soon completely lose
yourself in the action, strafing targets and destroying tanks effortlessly.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics and sound on STEEL TALONS will please most players. The game
action is rendered with filled-polygon graphics, drawing enemies and hills
along with trees, clouds, and rivers. The screen is updated at about four
frames a second; while it's not as fast as a dedicated machine, it's more than
sufficient and doesn't hurt the game at all. Instruments are visible without
obscuring the view; other graphics, like the terrain maps and the high score
table, are drawn very nicely.

    There are not a wide variety of sounds, but the ones that are present are
used appropriately. The drumming of your chopper's blades fill the skies,
mixed with the rattle of the machine guns and the hiss of missiles. Klaxons
and chimes warn of radar lock and enemy hits, all punctuated with assorted
explosions. Finally, there's a somewhat garbled voice giving you tips before
each mission, and some nicely-done musical tunes sprinkled throughout.

SUMMARY:
    Purists who wanted nothing short of a total, unabridged translation will
be disappointed. For everyone else, though, STEEL TALONS on the Lynx is a joy
to play, a very pleasant surprise, and a Herculean effort to be saluted. If
the idea of realistic air combat action stirs your blood, buy this game and
take off!

                GAMEPLAY:        9.5
                GRAPHICS:        9.5
                SOUND:           8.5
                OVERALL:         9.5
[SUP]========================================================================

SUPER SKWEEK
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...an orange furball? No, it's SUPER SKWEEK
on the Lynx, an adaptation of the French computer game, and an unofficial
sequel to SLIDER on the Game Gear. You control Skweek, the orange furball
alluded to above, whose mission is to save 250 tile-filled levels on five
islands with a motley crew of creatures and critters. The game is viewed from
above, as Skweek walks along the tiles and shoots any creatures that get in
his way.

    Skweek's most common goal is to walk on the blue tiles to make them pink,
though some levels require rescuing female Skweezettes or destroying monsters
instead, and all levels feature a time limit. Making the effort harder are the
many types of tiles in the game -- slippery tiles, crumbling tiles, explosive
tiles, and even tiles that float above the ground. Skweek can also find or buy
icons to change his shots or give other powers. The game can start from stage
1, 50, or 100, or be played in a random order, and a password saves your
current score and game. Finally, two people can ComLynx together for
cooperative or competitive play.

GAMEPLAY:
    Though it looks like a puzzle game, SUPER SKWEEK shouldn't be treated as
one. Some of the levels require strategic thinking, but most of the game is
played with instinct and arcade-quality caution. This title's biggest asset is
its wealth of features. There are literally dozens of enemies, enhancements,
tiles and wall pieces to work with, and discovering how everything works will
take a while. There's also a lot of randomness to the game, which makes
pattern developing impossible and helps its appeal. Other options allow you to
restart the current level and to adjust the diagonal movements of the joypad.

    While the idea is fine, the implementation is not, as there are problems
in SUPER SKWEEK that make it harder than necessary. Shooting is tricky, as
only a direct hit on a monster counts, and near-misses often prove deadly.
Because Skweek's movement is not confined to the "grid" of each level, you can
walk into a dangerous area unintentionally. There's also an annoying bug if
Skweek dies on a disappearing tile: your next life appears in the same spot,
and if the tile is still gone, you die again. These problems are frustrating,
though not enough to totally discredit the game.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics on SUPER SKWEEK are very nice, though there's little here
that any other video game can't duplicate. Colors are used incredibly well,
with bright pastels and primaries used to compliment the whimsy and give the
impression of lots of shades. Game text and elements are small, yet remain
easily identified with lots of detail and animation. Sounds consistly of
machine-generated effects, but nothing truly unusual or noteworthy. The
various themes and music, however, are a notch above the standard Lynx fare.

SUMMARY:
    This is an unusual game with a distinctive atmosphere that may not attract
all players. While the concept is fairly novel, there are a few flaws in the
implementation that hinder it somewhat. Still, if you're willing to put forth
a little patience for its weaknesses, SUPER SKWEEK can produce many hours of
engaging fun.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           7.5
                OVERALL:         7.5
[SWI]======================================================================

SWITCHBLADE II
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    In the far future, the evil ninja lord Havok reined over the land, until
Hiro the immortal defeated his robot army and banished the fiend. Now Havok
and his forces have returned, stronger than ever, and Hiro has returned to
fight once again. Armed with lethal metal-slicing blades and an array of
weapons, you must guide Hiro across the scrolling landscape, destroying all
enemies in your path and bring down Havok once again.

    If you haven't fallen asleep from that threadbare plot, then here are more
details for this Lynx adaptation of the Gremlin game. Hiro starts with three
lives, though each life can take several hits before dying. Money, health, and
points can be found along the way, while extra lives and advanced weaponry can
be bought in the shops located in the game. There are six levels in all, each
divided into several substages and capped with the obligatory boss villain.

GAMEPLAY:
    The video game market is filled from floor to ceiling with hundreds of
these scrolling, kill-everything titles, some very good and some very
mediocre. SWITCHBLADE II leans towards the latter, with fairly bland gameplay
that feels flavorless and leaves you hollow. On the surface, there is nothing
at fault with this game, as it follows all of the formulas: Controls are
simple and responsive, the story and gameplay are tried and true, and there's
a wealth of enemies, weapons, and scenery. Just go in and clobber anything
that moves, right?

    On the other hand, this game lacks a soul, a sense of adventure and
excitement. There's very little challenge, with enemies patrolling mindlessly
or attacking in ones and twos, and no time limit or other form of pressure.
Young players may find this game tricky, but experienced players will easily
stomp over the forces of evil. Many other games offer the same basic action,
only better, or faster, or more difficult, but SWITCHBLADE II quickly becomes
an exercise in boredom. There's no solid reason to dislike this title, but it
offers little incentive to like it, either.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics and sound of SWITCHBLADE II do not do anything to enhance its
appeal. The graphics are small and passable, with a good variety to reflect
the different types of terrains and enemies.  Unfortunately, they fail to get
the player excited, and the animation is extremely simple.  Similarly, aside
from a stirring title theme, the game is mostly quiet, except for the tapping
of Hiro's feet and assorted explosions. Remaining sound effects are uninspired
and quickly forgotten.

SUMMARY:
    SWITCHBLADE II is yet another side-scrolling kill-everything action game
that will quickly get lost in the crowd, as it commits the cardinal sin of
boring the player. People who dislike this game genre will not be swayed by
SWITCHBLADE II, and action gamers can easily find other, similar titles that
are more enticing.

                GAMEPLAY:        5
                GRAPHICS:        5.5
                SOUND:           5
                OVERALL:         5
[TOD]========================================================================

TODD'S ADVENTURES IN SLIME WORLD
1-8 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Okay, let's get the novelty out of the way: TODD'S ADVENTURES IN SLIME
WORLD is the first eight-player video game ever created. That aside, you play
the role of Todd the explorer, who's trapped inside a planet made of
disgusting green slime. There are six scenarios, and most of them requires you
to climb, jump, slide, and fly to the exit, while grabbing as much treasure as
possible on the way (when playing with friends, one scenario has you hunting
the other players to be the last one alive).

    Todd starts off with a water pistol and a computer-generated map. As Todd
explores Slime World, he will find valuable slime gems and assorted tools such
as shields, jet packs, or megabombs. Todd will also get coated in the gunk,
whether it's from dripping ceilings or attacks from numerous creatures. The
creatures can be dispatched with the water gun, but too much slime is fatal,
so you must keep Todd clean. Even then, the trip is very dangerous; an
unlimited number of lives are available, and pausing the game gives a
six-character password to let you continue at a later date. A built-in
tutorial makes learning easier.

GAMEPLAY:
    This game is HUGE. Most of the caverns used in the scenarios are hundreds
of screens large, and require literally hours to reach the exit. You'll often
look at the computer map, think you're near the end, explore a bit further,
then find a larger expanse of uncharted territory ahead. There's quite a lot
to look at, also: waterfalls of slime, rubbery slime to bounce on, slippery
slime, giant pools of slimy water. SLIME WORLD's creatures will fly, hop, and
jump all over, hoping to either coat you in the ooze, eat you alive, or simply
stick to your face. The six different levels are somewhat distinctive; some
emphasize arcade-type action, while others require careful exploring and
thinking.

    As large and varied as it is, SLIME WORLD's weakest point is the lack of
repeatability. It's biggest attraction is the appeal of exploring the unknown.
Once you eventually finish a scenario, there is little motivation to try it
again, as the layout and contents never change; a randomly-generated level
would have helped immensely. While the "hunt the other players" mission is
very enjoyable, the other levels feature little direct interaction, and do not
benefit greatly when ComLynxed. Exploring Slime World is fun, but it's after
the exploration ends that the fun wanes.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    SLIME WORLD's slime effect is convincing and impressive, with glistening,
unidentifiable clumps throughout, all oozing and pulsating in real time. Todd
himself is highly animated, and can be clearly seen throwing bombs, using
equipment, and performing whatever else you want. Creatures and other objects
are also done well, though not nearly as animated as Todd. In a multiplayer
game, your character has blonde hair while other players are brunettes.

    Sounds are interesting, though ultimately not as exciting. Aside from the
title theme, game music consists of repeating clips, ranging from short tunes
to near-random beeps, that change periodically. Sound effects are a bit better,
though a crowd of slime creatures in tight quarters can quickly produce a
jarring kalidescope of noise.

SUMMARY:
    TODD'S ADVENTURES IN SLIME WORLD will appeal mostly to players who enjoy
the idea of exploring every nook and cranny of its vast, gooey terrain. For
others, however, the appeal is not as distinct; depending on personal
preferences and the availability of friends, the value of this card will vary
significantly.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        8.5
                SOUND:           6
                OVERALL:         7
[TOK]======================================================================

TOKI
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    So there's Toki the caveman, out spending time with his girlfriend,
talking about whatever it is cavepeople chat about. Who comes to spoil the
party but the local Evil High Priest Vookimedlo, who kidnaps his gal and uses
magic to devolve Toki into a chimp. Strangely enough, Toki the chimpanzee can
shoot fireballs from his mouth, and decides to use his primitive machismo to
rescue his date. Hey, if an Italian plumber can rescue damsels in distress,
why can't an ape give it a try?

    That's TOKI for the Atari Lynx, an adaptation of the little-seen arcade
video game from Fabtek. You must guide Toki through eight multidirectional
scrolling stages of caverns, moats, and whatnot, battling Vookimedlo's traps
and flunkies. Toki can defeat enemies by hitting them with his fireballs, or
by repeatedly jumping on them.  Along the way, you will find items that
temporarily enhance Toki's abilities, like higher jumping or more powerful
fireballs. A life is lost if Toki is hit by an enemy, caught by a trap, or
runs out of time; an extra life is awarded if enough coins are collected.

GAMEPLAY:
    The most supportive statement that can be made for TOKI on the Lynx is
that it's a very faithful adaptation. Almost none of the gameplay has been
abridged or altered; people who have played this in the arcade will be in
familliar territory. The problem is that the original was not that spectacular
to begin with. Aside from the slightly novel plot, there is very little here
that hasn't been done before.

    This is not to say that TOKI is a bad game; as yet-another-run-and-jump,
its redeeming points elevate it a bit above its competition. There is a good
amount of variety; the enemies you have to face are very diverse, and the
different stages are much more than a change in window dressing. Also, the
game sets a very irreverant tone; for instance, two of the tools helping
Toki's quest are football helmets and teeter-totters loaded with weights. 
Finally, the game itself is of fair difficulty; you start with four lives,
and can continue up to two times, but the typical player will need all the
help he can find. 

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics and sound of TOKI capture the game's lighthearted attitude
very well. There is good use of color and a lot of detail and animation in the
graphics. However, some of the game elements are fairly small, requiring a bit
of effort to spot them. This can be fatal with some of the more detailed
backgrounds, as a small incoming projectile could slip past your sight.

    Sounds are better, making good use of music, computer-generated effects,
and digitized clips. Each level is accompanied by an unobtrusive background
soundtrack, and the individual sound effects are distinctive. The digitized
bits are often the most enjoyable, such as Toki's death yelp and the
cartoon-inspired "boing!" noises.

SUMMARY:
    TOKI is, in the final analysis, a great adaptation of an average game,
duplicating the original's sights, sounds, and action faithfully. If you
aren't interested in run-and-jump contests, there is little here to change
your opinion. However, if you're in the market for a new arcade-action game,
TOKI is a worthy candidate.

                GAMEPLAY:        6.5
                GRAPHICS:        7.5
                SOUND:           9
                OVERALL:         7
[TOU]======================================================================

TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL
1-4 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    As mankind moved into the 21st century, the task of keeping people
entertained started to become a problem. The sports and games of yesteryear
seemed boring and tame as the new generation wanted more action and danger.
Since murder remains illegal, the solution fell to robots, who could offer the
violence that the audience demanded while preserving human lives.

    Welcome to the era of TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL, the explosive sequel to the
CYBERBALL arcade game from Atari Games. This is a futuristic sports game with
very close ties to American football. Two teams of robots play on a 100-yard
field, trying to move a ball into the opponents' end zone. The ball heats up
over time, so the offensive team must carry the ball far enough to cool it
down, else face an explosion that destroys nearby players. Cheap mass-produced
replacements are available, but smart coaches save their winnings to buy the
better model players.

GAMEPLAY:
    On the surface, TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL appears to be a decent adaptation.
Up to four players can play, either against each other or versus one of four
computer coaches. The defense has a fixed selection of moves, while the
offensive choices are picked by the game from a larger pool, according to the
situation. On the field, each player controls a robot, and are responsible for
making the passes and blitzes needed. During the game, you earn money for
specific scoring actions, such as interceptions and scoring. The game lasts
for six periods, with opportunities to buy enhanced players throughout the
game.

    Scratch the surface, however, and the problems appear. There is no
apparent difference in abilities between the teams, and the team-unique plays
from the original are gone. Robots cannot be damaged, though an explosion will
destroy the ball carrier. Handoffs are unpredictable, reducing the value of
running plays, and while passes are effective, it's difficult to intercept the
computer's throws. Opportunities for enhanced players appear throughout the
game, but reduce the number of plays available until you accept. The pace of
the game is a little too fast; more time to decide and choose plays would be
welcome, and plays start as soon as all players are in position. These and
other flaws reduce a great idea into a frustrating experience.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics in TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL are passable, though little more.
The robots are distinctive, but are otherwise nondiscrept, and appear a bit
too small. The three-quarters perspective scrolling and the play selection
screens are done well, but are nothing to shout about. Sound effects are of a
similar nature, either using similar versions of the arcade sounds and music,
or omitting them all together. On the plus side, some of the digitized voices
have been preserved, though hearing "Three... six... hike!" on every play
becomes irritating after a while.

SUMMARY:
    TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL on the Lynx could have been a quality conversion;
other Lynx titles have shown the potential of the system. This game seems to
have been written by someone with little familliarity with the original, and
the shortcomings show through. In the final analysis, the many fans of
TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL should skip this conversion and stick to the arcade
machine instead.

                GAMEPLAY:        5.5
                GRAPHICS:        7
                SOUND:           7
                OVERALL:         6
[TUR]=======================================================================

TURBO SUB
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
    Let's get this straight: Earth is under attack (again) by alien invaders
(again). All attempts to repel the invaders have failed (again), but a single
brave hero may (again) restore peace to the planet (again).  Guess who gets
this honor (again)? Yes, you (again).

    TURBO SUB for the Atari Lynx is a first-person nonstop firefight. The
enemy has taken over the skies and seas of the Earth, and it's up to you to
destroy the invaders and save the day. You pilot the Turbo Sub, a high-speed
flying and diving aquatic arsenal. Your foes use everything from amphibious
warships to robotic creatures and flying stone heads. Each level (there are
reportedly seventeen) starts off with an aerial attack, though you can dive to
escape if the situation gets too thick. After the air attack, you head
underwater, with more enemies to fight, obstacles to dodge, and gems to
gather. Survive the round, and the sub enters a supply cavern, where you use
gathered gems to buy additional supplies and weapons.

GAMEPLAY:
    TURBO SUB is what I call a "ten second" game; it takes ten seconds to
learn it, and another ten seconds to get into the thick of things. Your
primary objective consists of blasting everything. Staying alive means dodging
enemy fire, collisions, debris, and underwater obstacles.  The sub's main
weapon is an unlimited supply of electro-plasma bursts; there is also a
limited supply of megabombs, which can destroy all visible enemies at once.
Between rounds, you can buy extra ships, extra fuel, and better weapon systems
for use on the next level. Two players can ComLynx together, but the only
purpose is to see who can out-shoot the other.

    There is little else that needs to be said. The game idea demands fast,
frantic action, and TURBO SUB delivers it in spades. The initial levels
consist of small groups of one and two aliens, but quickly progress into more
opponents wielding more firepower. The game starts with eleven subs, and they
will go quickly if you're not careful.  In the end, though, TURBO SUB strikes
a balance between being difficult without being hopelessly overwhelming. The
downside of this game is that there is little variety; as with other games of
this type, victory will come to players with the fastest reflexes and the
strongest thumbs.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    As expected, the Lynx's sprite hardware makes TURBO SUB's 3D effects
smooth and effortless. The graphics themselves are a mix, from realistically
detailed to bright and simple, and end up attractive and engaging. There is
very little for sound, however.  The only music comes from a bouncy little
tune at the title page, and actual game sounds are mostly explosions and
weapons fire.

SUMMARY:
    What TURBO SUB lacks in originality and variety, it makes up with
blistering excitement. If you've got an appetite for uncomplicated massive
destruction at Mach 3, TURBO SUB is the way to go!

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           6
                OVERALL:         7.5
[VIK]=========================================================================

VIKING CHILD
1 player, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Can't a guy fulfill his destiny in peace? Brian the Viking child was just
sitting at home when the Norse god Loki appeared (between stints in GHOULS AND
GHOSTS, natch). Worried about the prophesy that Brian will grow up into a
mighty Viking leader, Loki has kidnapped Brian's family, spirited them across
the land, and dared the young boy to rescue them. If Brian can survive the
rescue of his family, he may get to fulfill this destiny someday.

    This is the premise of VIKING CHID, an action-adventure game for the Atari
Lynx, adapted from the European computer title. You play the part of Brian,
who must explore many stages of the side-view scrolling landscape in search of
your family. A family member has been hidden throughout the land, guarded by
both Loki's forces and a bit of deception. Only by agility and intelligence
can you complete this quest.

GAMEPLAY:
    When you boil the game down, VIKING CHILD is essentially a run-and-jump
quest game with a few adventure-gaming touches. Brian loses health over time
and in fights with monsters, while each victory earns money and points. Though
the trip is very linear, there is a lot of terrain to explore, and houses,
castles, and caves contain shops selling weapons and magic. Finally, you can't
exit a level without first uncovering and defeating the level's chieftain
monster, who is hidden from immediate view.

    In the end, the combination of action and adventure is only partially
successful, which hampers the appeal. As an action game, VIKING CHILD is a bit
slow; Brian walks and jumps at a modest rate, while monsters run and jump all
over the place. There are numerous fights, but they consist mainly of poking
creatures with a dagger or throwing weapons against them. And while there is
much to see, this game offers none of the sophistication of real role-playing
games. In its favor, VIKING CHILD is a tough game, with time limits and
Loki's forces combining to whittle down your health.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    The graphics on VIKING CHILD are done fairly well. The adventure itself
makes good use of earth-tone colors and detail.  Brian and the creatures are
drawn small enough to give a good view of the surrounding area, without losing
much detail. There are also some elegant static screens and lots of cute
touches throughout. Sounds, in contrast, are an absolute minimum. There are
some nice scores, but the few primary game sounds are simply basic.

SUMMARY:
    While VIKING CHILD is a pleasant diversion, it is missing the refinements
needed for greatness. The biggest appeal is in exploring the land and just
trying to survive, but it should not be mistaken for an adventure game.
Still, if you're looking for something that's a little more than the typical
run-and-jump title, VIKING CHILD is worth a try.

                GAMEPLAY:        7
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           6
                OVERALL:         7
[WAR]=======================================================================

WARBIRDS
1-4 players, horizontal game
by Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
  Modern air combat is hardly as glamorous as it appears in the movie
theatres (or video games, for that matter). Modern radar and weapons
systems seek and destroy a target well before the pilot even sees his
enemy, and today's "dogfights" end in the blink of an eye. Not since the
days of the early 20th century have air combat involved pilots flying close
enough to salute each other before the kill.

  This is the world of WARBIRDS, the new aerial combat game for the Atari
Lynx, and the first true flight simulator for any home video game system
currently available. Other flying games currently available only give the
illusion of flight -- While you can move around the screen, you have no
real control over where you go. WARBIRDS, on the other hand, puts you in
complete control of a World War I biplane. You can fly over a barn, loop
around, then strafe it from another direction. You determine all of the
plane's maneuvers, and can turn, roll, dive, and climb any way you want.

GAMEPLAY:
  So what are you doing here? Up to four pilots (including yourself) can
occupy the airspace over the lush green countryside. No matter how many
are present, your objective is the same -- destroy them all. Your only
weapon is a front-mounted machine gun, and your only defense are your
skills and the occassional cloudbank. "Scoring" consists of how many
planes you can shoot down before you yourself are killed, over a series
of missions. If you run out of ammunition, you must find, land, and reload
your guns, during which you are vulnerable to enemy attacks.

  Several game options are available. These include how much damage a
plane can take, whether collisions are fatal, how much ammunition is
present, and where your airplane starts. In a multiplayer game, everyone
can choose their own settings, providing a handicapping feature between
players of different skills. In a single-player game, six "missions" are
available; however, the only difference is the number of enemy planes, and
whether they're amateur or professional pilots.

  As a simulator, WARBIRDS is filled with features not found on any other
video game. Your plane has instruments for airspeed, altitude, direction,
oil pressure, and ammo rounds remaining; all are important in their own way.
The physical effects of stalling, high-speed dives, and even the inertia
from the rotating engine are duplicated convincingly. Because WARBIRDS is
a simulator with no fancy weapons, success or failure is fully dependent
on your own flying and hunting skills. This realism cuts both ways,
however -- biplanes were not known for their speed, and players accustomed
to the high speeds of today's arcade games may find WARBIRDS boring. There
is an "arcade" option, which gives your plane a faster "jet" engine, which
may satisfy your need for speed.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The graphics on WARBIRDS are a mixed bag from good to great. The opening
title page is attractive, with biplanes and credits flying by the player.
The actual combat scenes are done with a combination of filled polygons
(for hills and barns) and scaled sprites (clouds, planes, flying bullets,
smoking engines). Digitized pictures are shown at the end of a fight,
indicating your success or failure. Overall, it's slightly above average
for the Lynx's abilities.

  Sounds are essentally basic and effective. The game uses several music
scores before and after flights. Actual combat is filled with the noises
of your engine (unless you turn it off), the rattle of gunfire, and several
sound effects indicating when you're hit, when your shots hit, and when a
plane has been downed.

SUMMARY:
  WARBIRDS is designed and written by Robert Zdybel, a newcomer to Lynx
game design; He dedicates the game to his father, and it's a worthy piece
of gaming to be proud of. It's a game that's simple in concept and fun to
play. Throw in true simulator realism, a variety of options, and the
ability for four-player competition, and the sum is greater than its parts.
For the video gamer looking for realistic aerial action, WARBIRDS leaves
eveything else behind.

                GAMEPLAY:        9.5
                GRAPHICS:        8
                SOUND:           8
                OVERALL:         9
[WOR]========================================================================

WORLD CLASS SOCCER
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$29.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    In Atari's moves to fill the Lynx game library with sports titles, the
latest entry is WORLD CLASS SOCCER. As the title indicates, this is a portable
version of the worldwide ball-kicking sport for one or two players. Two teams
from around the world face off for a one-game bout, trying to score the most
goals in the time given. Basic soccer rules and penalties apply, including
throw-ins, corner kicks, and fouls. Game options allow setting the length of
the game, from 10 to 90 minutes, the field conditions, and the computer
difficulty level.

GAMEPLAY:
    WORLD CLASS SOCCER has the makings of a quality title; unfortunately, its
good points are outweighed by numerous quirks in the gameplay. On the plus
side, ball control is fairly effortless, with automatic dribbling and easy
passing and kicking controls. On defense, you can steal the ball either by
kicking or a sliding "tackle", and you have full control of the goalie as well
and all squad members. The field scrolls from side to side, while the screen
zooms in and out of the action as needed.

    While the game ideas are sound, the actual result is lacking and hurts the
playability. Control automatically goes to the man closest to the ball, which
causes quick control changes it enters a crowd. There is an option to manually
change the active player, but it doesn't work at all. The zooming screen tends
to focus closely on the ball, creating tunnel vision; long passes are
impossible to coordinate, and you may be controlling a player or goalie who's
off-screen, impairing your defense further. Players can choose teams from a
hundred countries, but the only difference is the flag used. These and other
problems make following the game very difficult and frustrating. Playing well
is possible, but requires a lot of practice.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    Like the game itself, the graphics on WORLD CLASS SOCCER are a mix of good
and bad points. Images and sprites are respectably drawn and animated, and
look well even when the screen is scaled to its smallest point. On the down
side, the scaling is too slow to effectively show where the active player is,
and the scrolling is often very jumpy to keep pace with the ball. Sounds are
even less inspiring, composed mostly of a bouncing soccer ball mixed with
periodic whistle blows and a simplistic crowd cheer.

SUMMARY:
    This game has the ingredients for a quality soccer game, but assembles
them into a disappointing ensemble that could have been better. While the
hard-to-follow game action can be overcome with perseverance, only devoted
soccer fans will care to invest the time that WORLD CLASS SOCCER requires for
mastery.

                GAMEPLAY:        5
                GRAPHICS:        7
                SOUND:           4
                OVERALL:         5
[XEN]========================================================================

XENOPHOBE
for the Atari Lynx
Licensed by Bally/Midway
for 1-4 players
$34.95

It's some time in the undisclosed future, and a human colony in a far-off
planet lives in isolation. Their tranquility is interrupted when their
orbiting space stations are overrun with Xenos -- bug-eyed monsters very
reminescent of what Sigorney Weaver fought off in ALIENS.

If the Xenos get accustomed to human atmospheres on the space stations,
they will eagerly attack the humans on the planet below. As a result, you
(and up to three other friends) are called upon to kill the Xenos and
save the day.

Okay, storyline's over. For those of you who are not familliar with the
original Bally arcade game, Xenophobe has you maneuvering a hero through
23 space stations, killing (almost) anything that moves. You pick a persona
from one of nine human and semi-human characters (different looks, same
skills), then crawl, walk, jump and fall your way through the stations,
getting weapons and artifacts, fighting the numerous alien critters.

GAMEPLAY:

There's not too much variety in this game. You get to grab treasures,
explore rooms, and operate machinery, but the bulk of the game is killing the
Xenos. There are 23 space stations of different sizes, hence 23 levels, and
the manual hints at a "final confrontation" at the end of the game. Each
level can end in one of three ways, from the high-scoring "destroy all
monsters" (wasn't that a Godzilla movie of the '60s?) to the wimpy (and
low-scoring) "escape with your life". Your hero stays alive as long as
he has enough health points (lost when attacked by aliens or explosives);
when he dies, you can pick another to continue the fight.

People familliar with the original arcade game will find that the Lynx
version has been expanded a bit. The stations seem much bigger, with a bit
more exploration than before. There are new artifacts, like the flying
jetpack and the health-restoring vitamins, to help you survive. The Xenos
remain the same: crawling critters, rolling rollerbabies, hypnotic Festors,
and more, all of them creeping all over the place...

Early reviews of Xenophobe report that the game was too easy. Nah. In
single-player games, you only get to play up to four characters before the
game ends. In multi-player games, you play as long as undead heroes remain;
when the pool of eight are gone, you all lose. With 23 levels of varying
sizes, this game looks like it will take a while to master.

A few other goodies worth noting: In multiplayer games, one player can
choose to be an alien spitting Snotterpillar, and hunt his friends.
Compared to the arcade version, the Lynx Xenophobe is easier to control,
thanks to all the buttons being used. Finally, like SLIME WORLD, Xenophobe
makes it easy to Comlynx everyone up: Just wait at the main title page,
until the correct number of players is displayed.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:

Graphics are adequate. Nothing spectacular, yet not dissapointing. Like
the arcade, Xenophobe graphics look more "cutesy" than scary, with heroes
looking like caricatures, Xenos looking cartooney, and assorted goofy
touches here and there.

Sounds are also adequate but not outstanding. The opening title music is
completely forgettable, and aside from a musical tune between levels, the
only game sounds are the noises of battle. You want audio entertainment,
go elsewhere.

Overall, An average-decent game, good for players who don't want complicated
gameplay to get in the way. Best recommended for fans of the original
Xenophobe arcade game, quick-action gamers, or multiplayer game fans.
 
        Gameplay:       7.5
        Graphics:       6.5
        Sound:          6
        Overall:        7
[XYB]=========================================================================

XYBOTS
1-2 players, horizontal game
Atari Corp., for the Atari Lynx
$39.95
Stereo? No

OVERVIEW:
    Daleks, Replicants, Terminators, Robotrons, Xybots -- the robots are at it
again. EarthBase 26-B9, a remote station in the Federation's intelligence
network, has been completely overrun by the alien Xybots in a surprise attack.
Recovery of this base is of the highest priority; since you are the closest
agent available, you must infiltrate the station, battle the Xybot forces, and
stop the Master Xybots from taking over. NOW!

    Storyline aside, XYBOTS is a Lynx adaptation of the Atari Games' arcade
title. One or two players must travel through the station's levels, as seen
from a first-person 3D view. As you wander through the maze, you can grab
coins, keys, and weapon enhancements, all while fighting the various Xybot
forces. Your battlesuit will protect you, but it loses energy through time and
from attacks; if it runs out, you are captured and the game ends. Reach the
exit, and you have an opportunity to buy more equipment before going even
deeper, featuring trick walls, transporters, and even more dangers.

GAMEPLAY:
    Though a few recent Lynx games have been disappointing, XYBOTS is happily
not continuing the trend. This is a respectable version of the game, with all
the features of the original. The enemy comes in many different forms, using
various defenses while firing on your position. Your gun fires unlimited
shots, and an energy-draining zap can temporarily freeze the Xybots. The main
action is seen from directly behind your fighter, and a second screen showing
the level layout and status information is available. Every tenth level or so
is a fight with a Master Xybot, but the main game remains maze-running and
robot-blasting. Temporary enhancements such as robot locators and extra
firepower are available, but financial frugality will help you survive later.

    The game is not perfect, however, since the Lynx version is a little easier
than the coin-op. The Xybots are not too bright, and often spend time waiting
until you are in range before attacking. They are still dangerous, but you
will rarely have to worry about being overwhelmed. You also start with 35
coins, enough to stay well-armed for three or four levels. As a result, the
game may seem to start off slow for more experienced players, but Warp Exits
allow travel to the higher stages quicker. Overall, XYBOTS on the Lynx remains
formidable, but don't be too surprised at the initial progress you make.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
    With XYBOTS, the Lynx once again pulls off game graphics that look almost
completely identical to the arcade. The station mazes are spartan, drawn with
identical wall panels, but enemy Xybots and other game items are well-animated
and detailed. Other visual extras such as the teleporter and the transition
between stages have been duplicated exactly. The only shortcoming is that
rotating your view is done with a 90-degree "snap", which can be a little
disorienting.

    Sounds are also very faithful, with the few blasts and explosions of the
original copied closely. The mechanical Xybot voices have been removed, but
in their place are several quality techno-rock background tunes. Though
enjoyable, they can be turned off from the title page if desired.

SUMMARY:
    XYBOTS on the Lynx is a solid translation, presenting an acceptable
version of the game on the go. While the difficulty has been scaled back
slightly, there is still more than enough of a challenge to keep the typical
player back for more.

                GAMEPLAY:        8
                GRAPHICS:        9
                SOUND:           8
                OVERALL:         8
[ZAR]======================================================================

ZARLOR MERCENARY
for the Atari Lynx
1-4 players, horizontal game
$34.95

OVERVIEW:
  Ah, life in the space lane. You are one of the most hated and most revered
people in the galaxy -- a mercenary. If someone's got the bucks, you've got
the guns, for whatever the cause.

  Your current case is for the Zarlors, who are at war with the Mendicants
over some financial dealings or other. The Zarlors have decided to cripple,
but not kill, the Mendicants with a set of six tactical strikes. They jingled
their Zarbits, so you signed up for the deal. The Zarlors don't think you
can survive all six attacks. You'll show them...

  That's the game in a nutshell. ZARLOR MERCENARY is a horizontally-based,
vertical-scrolling space shoot-em-up, an original title from Epyx for Atari,
by the creator of CHIP'S CHALLENGE (talk about diverse). The screen scrolls
from top to bottom at a fixed rate, and you (and up to three other friends)
move around the screen, shooting everything that dots the landscape. The
screen moves horizontally with you, giving you even more targets to blast.

  Everything you destroy is worth Zarbits, that funny plastic money from the
Zarlors. The more you shoot, the bigger your profits, and the more money
you have means the more hardware you can buy from the Mercenary Merchant. You
start off with three ships, and can get more through the game -- either
that, or buy them.

GAMEPLAY:
  Shooter fans will rejoice, because ZARLOR MERCENARY has all the staples
of these games -- power-ups, bosses, targets, targets, and more targets.
Everything that can be shot is worth something, and there is a *LOT* to
shoot at. There are only six levels, but each level is fairly large (about
five minutes to get through), and the enemies are numerous enough and
fire enough to punch through any defenses you have. There are a lot of
enemies/targets too, in a wide variety, such as patternized fighter squadrons,
unconcerned walkers, mercenary-seeking drones, and unarmored civilians
(grin). If anything, the game may be too difficult for fewer players, though
your mileage may vary.

  You start off as one of several "characters", each of whom has a different
power-up weapon to start with. What you don't have you can get, either by
shopping between rounds or picking up floating globes on the level. If things
get tight, you can also sell your weapons back (at a loss, natch), or trade
Zarbits with your co-mercenaries between levels. There are a lot of power-ups
in a wide range of uses, enough to satisfy most video warriors. The gameplay
and controls are straightforward enough for any gamer; true video warriors
will pick up the game in 10 seconds, if not sooner.

GRAPHICS/SOUND:
  The graphics on this game are _INCREDIBLE_! The game itself is shown in a
three-quarters psuedo-3D view, with accompanying shadows everywhere to
reenforce the effect. Targets and background graphics are crammed with nice
features and detailed touches, from blinking lights and transparent windows
to ditches dug by mechano-bots that stop when you destroy them (the bots, I
mean). Someone went through a lot of loving care to make the graphics stand
out, and it shows.

  Sounds are slightly above average, though not up to the standards set
by the graphics. A slightly-repetitive tune plays throughout the game, but
you can turn it off with the Option 2 button if it bothers you. Most of the
other game sounds are from weapons fire, explosions, and the occassional
off-screen special effect. All are done well, though not outstandingly so.

SUMMARY:
  A great no-nonsense action game, perfect for people who love the "shoot it
if it exists" philosophy. The game itselt is not easy, and the addition of
four-player teamups and cash payments/transfers/power-ups ensure quite a bit
of variety to the game. Though there are only six levels, they are quite
varied, and should offer many challenging hours to the average player.

        GAMEPLAY:        9
        GRAPHICS:        10
        SOUND:           7.5
        OVERALL:         9
================================================================================
                      CHEATSCHEATSCHEATSCHEATSCHEATSCHEA
                      H __   ____  __  __    _  __  __ T
                      E|  |  \   \/ / |\ \  | | \ \/ / S
                      A|  |   \  / /  | \ \ | |  \ \/  C
                      T|  |    \/ /   |  \ \| |  <\_>  H
                      S|__|_   | |    |  |\   |  /\ \  E
                      C|____|  |_|    |__| \__| /_/\_\ A
                      H                                T
                      EATSCHEATSCHEATSCHEATSCHEATSCHEATS

Here are all the cheats I have for the Lynx. Please e-mail any corrections,
suggestions, more cheats, and whatever to:   [email-masked].

Last updated:  May 30, 1993
     -- Reformatted for better ASCII

     These are from the Lynx FAQ from rec.games.video on Usenet, Portable
Addiction, Howard Chu, Jaime Villacorte, Dan Hollis, Jonathan Haas, Ken
Small, Bobby Tribble, Peter Kaminski, Johanne Kaminski, Jocelito Carpio,
Dionicio Lazo, Jason Bennett and probably a bunch of others. THANKS! Lotsa
thanks to Robert Jung. Finally, thanks to Damian Gick who would probably
still be keeping this list up to date if he hadn't lost his net access.

          Kevin (Tazzzzz) Dangoor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  A.P.B.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     When your quota is met, hold down OPT 1 and OPT 2 when you touch the
Officer Bob parking space. This will warp you to level 99. (The game will
not end, just repeat level 99 with random quotas.) Hold down Option 1 and
Option 2 while getting a donut to skip the level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                               AWESOME GOLF
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Entering LANDLORD as your name will make the OPT 2 button swing at the
ball and when the ball is in the air OPT 2 will sink the ball!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                BASKETBRAWL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Put in MJ?? to play with a partner, supposedly Jordan. Replace the ??
with any two numbers. Pause, hold down Option 1 and press Option 2. You can
change the pause message to anything you want! (from Star*Lynx BBS)
Level codes
Level 1-1 AAAA Level 3-3 IIII
Level 1-2 BBBB Level 4-1 JJJJ
Level 1-3 CCCC Level 4-2 KKKK
Level 2-1 DDDD Level 4-3 LLLL
Level 2-2 EEEE Level 5-1 MMMM
Level 2-3 FFFF Level 5-2 NNNN
Level 3-1 GGGG Level 5-3 OOOO
Level 3-2 HHHH

Taken from January 1993 EGM (Edward Mann). Someone at Atari is very
imaginitive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              BATMAN RETURNS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From Video Games and Computer Entertainment, you can make Batman invincible
with the following steps at the title screen (the one with the Batlogo):
press up 8 times, down 12 times, left 15 times, right 19 times and option 1
27 times, press A or B to start the game. Once the action starts, press
pause. The use option 1 to skip to the next level, option 2 to make Batman
invincible! Falling can still kill you, however.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Solve) : From Portable Addiction Electronic Magazine
     First of all, collect all the notes you can get and find the gold
nugget. Now go to the guarded building and give the nugget to the guard.
Enter and find the man that tells you about the staff. Return to the
telephone booth and travel to 15OO BC. Use the scare stone. Find all the
notes you can get  (remember to count by sixteens!).  Enter the valley and
find the paper note about the fake staff. Travel back in time and put the
note at the pillar. Go to the South-East of Egypt and find the royal ankh
(You must wade through shallow water).  Travel to 15OO again and find the
boat at the South-West part of Egypt. Use the royal ankh.  Find your way
thru the water (it's like an invisible maze). First go to the place where
you found the ankh in 17OO BC. Enter the temple and find the  secret
passage which leads to the harp. Return to your boat and go to the pyramid.
Go into the pyramid and open the door by walking over the red spots on the
ground. Then, when past the wall/door, walk over the four other red spots
and take the staff. Find the two keys and open the corresponding doors. To
get rid of the two creatures guarding the room,  just lure them out of
there and then run away. When you return to the room they will  be gone. To
take the staff, use the harp.  Return the staff  to the man to get the
flute. Use this flute in 17OO BC at the North-East to scare the  animals
over there.  Then find all the notes that are hidden under the trees to
find a phonebook-page.  Travel to Rome.

     First, enter the dungeon.  Find all the notes and the two keys:  Blue
and black.  Remember to visit Caesar at the north of the arena when you
have enough notes.  Outside the arena you must once again find notes. When
you think you have all of them, go to the statue. Push the four pieces
around the statue in place and the push the statue.   Now do this again and
then go stand in the middle yourself.  After you get launched, find all the
notes around the house, but don't enter it.  When you got all  the notes,
walk into a roman to get kicked out of the garden. You are now outside. Go
West, to where a roman is guarding the entrance of the city. Now go down
and find your way through the forest.  Somewhere in the forest there is the
next page of the phonebook.  You must collect all the notes in the forest
and you must also find the little building.  Enter it and find the way
through the maze until you find an apple.  Leave the building and  go to
the guard.  Give him the apple and enter the city. If everything is right
you now have 8O notes.  Travel to Europe.

     In Europe, enter the mansion.  To avoid the furniture,  stay on the
green dots on the floor.  This may take some practise!   Find the white key
and then find your way to the backyard.  Use the black key to  open the
gate. Go to the North-West of the screen to find a red key. Use it to enter
the small house nearby.  Avoid dracula  and take  the magic wand  next to
his coffin.  Return to the mansion and find the organ. Use the wand toshrink it down so you can carry it.  Return to the phonebooth   (The wand
causes the furniture to stop).   Travel back  to Rome.   Do the  trick
with the statue and this time enter the house while using the organ pipes.
You can now safely walk thru the house to the backyard to take the lyre.
Return  the lyre to Ceasar and  you will get another lyre.  Enter the
dungeon and use the lyre to scare away the lion that guards the white lock.
Use the white key to open the lock and take the page of the phonebook.

     Travel to Rome 7O BC and enter the dungeon.  Use the black key and put
it back where you found it  (Bottom-right). Now travel to Texas. Collect
all the notes you can get.   Somewhere,  hidden under a skull,  there's a
golden coin.  Go to the station and buy a ticket. Walk to the train and use
the ticket.  Now use the train to find the remaining notes. You must also
find the golden nugget, hidden under yet another skull.  Travel back to
Egypt and replace the golden nugget at the place where you first found it.
Now travel to San Dimas 2691 AD!  Yeah, most radical, dude!

     Be careful on the step-stones as you can only jump from one to another
if they are in the middle-position.  Again find as many notes as you can
and find the dynamite. Return to Texas. Use the dynamite to  release Billy
the Kid. Return to San Dimas. Go to the  place where you  usually get
overwhelmed by enemies and use the harmonica. You can now safely enter  the
next part of San Dimas.  Every time you pick up a note in  this part, a
block will disappear somewhere else, thus letting you reach other notes
after which you will be rewarded with a golden key.  Return to Europe.

     Collect 16 notes. Use the golden key to enter the previously
unaccessable house at the swamp.  Here you will find a mandolin.   You can
use this to enter the previously locked part of San Dimas. The Grim Reaper
welcomes you, and you're now ready to play his game. As the exact route
isn't easy  to explain in a solution like this,  I'll just tell you what to
do. The objective of this part is to collect yet another 16 notes.
Sometimes it is necessary to shove blocks over the  lava in such a way that
you can go  to other parts of  the playing field.   The princesses have got
the last note.  If you succeed in rescuing them you should have 144 notes
by that time.  To get back to the entrance of the playing field, go east
from the place where your rescued the babes.  The go south and walk
clockwise (ie: south, west, north).  When you are standing against the
north wall,  walk west to the corner and go counter-clockwise. Once in the
northeast corner you must go west, south, west and north to the exit.
You'll have to find the correct tiles to jump on all the way yourself. Now
you must return to the phone booth.  The Grim Reaper is guarding it,  but
when you play your guitar he suddenly realizes that he has LOST!  Enter the
booth and travel through time to finish the game!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              BLUE LIGHTNING
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The codes are:
1-AAAA  2-PLAN  3-ALFA  4-BELL  5-NINE  6-LOCK  7-HAND  8-FLEA  9-LIFE
You can land upside down on the Courier Run mission (LOCK).

For bonus points, hit your afterburniners as you enter the canyons on level
BELL. The Gutsy Bonus will give you 30,000 points ("You've got guts!").
When you're in the canyons fire your afterburners for 65,000 poins (Lunatic
Bonus) "You're crazy!!" The points are added when you land -- but if you do
both, it will only display the Lunatic Bonus, but you get points for both.
(A good place for the second bonus is right before you enter the second set
of canyons)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             CALIFORNIA GAMES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the manual says it's two player, up to 4 can be Comlynxed. It may
take a few tries, but keep at it. (It's also a bit slow, but hey, it wasn't
meant for 4 players.. :)

BMX: If you stay just a little (about one pixel) above the place where the
grass meets the dirt there won't be anything in your way (Like those pesky
bales of hay). You can crash the game by hitting the bale of hay on the
bottom of the track just before the finish line. The game will freeze and
the only thing you can do it turn it off. Tiny tid-bit: If you're going
_really_ fast when you cross the finish line and jump just a little after
crossing it, you will end up crashing into something you can't see way to
the right.

SURFING: In the surfing game, you can ride the pelican. Run your last man
into the bottom of the screen a few seconds before the timer runs out. The
bird will fly across the screen until the timer runs out and you'll land on
it! It's possible to do an UNREAL 360 (5 360's) for 1200 points (As opposed
to 600 for a Quadruple 360)

FOOTBAG:  If you spin right after jumping, you spin faster than normal.
Thus, jump and hit the bag with your head, then spin away...
Also-- in the manual under Foot Bag it says: "Score an extra 50 points for
hitting the seagull in the beak with the foot bag (but only in this game --
be kind to the birdies in the other events)."
[ Thought that was pretty cute. :)  d.g. ]

HALF-PIPE: Hitting Option 2 while skating will show off the Lynx's awesome
scaling capabilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              CHECKERED FLAG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Course information:
RIDGEWAY		Odo	Side
SHANGHAI		0.3	Right
PORTFOLIO (w/picture)	0.7	Right
CYBERBALL		1.0	Left
ATARI CORP.		1.2	Right
[atari logo]		2.1	Left
ST (w/picture)		2.7	Left
Total lap distance: 2.9 miles

GRIZZLY FLATS		Odo	Side
ATARI CORP. 		0.8	Right
SLIME WORLD		1.3	Left
SHANGHAI		3.2	Left
[atari logo]		3.7	Left
Total lap distance: 3.7 miles

SKULL VALLEY		Odo	Side
WARBIRDS		0.2	Right
RAMPAGE			0.9	Left
AWESOME GOLF		1.5	Left
PORTFOLIO (w/picture)	2.3	Right
Total lap distance: 2.7 miles

GREAT BEND		Odo	Side
SHANGHAI		0.5	Right
AWESOME GOLF		1.4	Left
SLIME WORLD		2.3	Right
ATARI CORP.		3.0	Left
RAMPAGE			3.5	Right
Total lap distance: 3.8 miles

PALM SPRINGS		Odo	Side
ATARI CORP.		1.0	Right
PORTFOLIO (w/picture)	1.2	Right
ST (w/picture)		2.0	Right
TT (w/picture)		2.4	Right
[atari logo] 		3.3	Right
Total lap distance: 3.7 miles

DEATH VALLEY		Odo	Side
KLAX			0.2	Left
STUN RUNNER 	 	0.6	Left
ST (w/picture)		0.8	Left
RAMPAGE                 1.1	Left
CYBERBALL              	1.4	Right
MS. PAC MAN		1.9	Right
[atari symbol]		2.7	Left
ATARI CORP.		2.8	Left
SHANGHAI		3.3	Right
PORTFOLIO (w/picture)	4.1	Left
Total lap distance: 4.2 miles

REED POINT		Odo	Side
LYNX (w/picture)	1.0	Right
CYBERBALL		2.2	Left
Total lap distance: 3.1 miles

LOGAN SPEED		Odo	Side
GEO DUEL		1.0	Right
MS PAC MAN		2.3	Left
STUN RUNNER		3.5	Left
Total lap distance: 4.7 miles

WOODLAND		Odo	Side
KLAX	 		0.2	Left
BASEBALL HEROES		0.6	Right
STUN RUNNER		1.0	Left
PORTFOLIO (w/picture)	1.2	Left
MS PAC MAN		1.4	Left
Total lap distance: 1.7 miles

EAGLE BEND		Odo	Side
KLAX			1.1	Right
CYBERBALL		1.8	Left
AWESOME GOLF	 	2.3	Right
TT (w/picture)		2.9	Right
[atari logo]		3.8	Right
Total lap distance: 4.0 miles

VICTORVILLE		Odo	Side
CYBERBALL	 	0.5	Right
SHANGHAI		1.3	Left
BASEBALL HEROES		1.8	Right
MS PACMAN		2.4	Left
KLAX			2.8	Left
GEO DUEL		3.7	Right
ATARI CORP.		3.9	Left
Total lap distance: 4.0 miles

PHOENIX			Odo	Side
STUN RUNNER 		0.9	Left
RAMPAGE			1.1	Left
ST (w/picture)		1.6	Right
LYNX (w/picture)	2.2	Right
[atari logo]		2.5	Right
ST (w/picture)		2.7	Right
ATARI CORP.		3.0	Left
TT (w/picture)		3.1	Left
AWESOME GOLF		3.6	Right
SLIME WORLD		4.2	Right
Total lap distance: 4.4 miles

FARMINGTON		Odo	Side
WARBIRDS		0.9	Right
RAMPAGE			1.8	Right
LYNX (w/picture)	2.8	Left
Total lap distance: 2.8 miles

MIAMI			Odo	Side
TT (w/picture)	 	0.3	Left
LYNX (w/picture)	0.6	Left
BASEBALL HEROES		1.0	Right
GEO DUEL		2.0	Right
AWESOME GOLF	 	2.5	Right
WARBIRDS		2.9	Left
Total lap distance: 3.1 miles

BLACK CANYON		Odo	Side
RAMPAGE			0.3	Right
ATARI CORP.		0.7	Right
BASEBALL HEROES		1.3	Right
CYBERBALL	 	2.2	Right
Total lap distance: 3.0 miles

MOUNTAIN VIEW		Odo	Side
LYNX (w/picture)	0.1	Right
TT (w/picture)		0.4	Right
GEO DUEL	 	0.8	Left
(atari logo)		1.6	Left
CYBERBALL		2.4	Left
ST (w/picture)	 	2.7	Right
Total lap distance: 3.2 miles

COLDWATER PASS		Odo	Side
WARBIRDS		0.4	Left
LYNX (w/picture)	1.0	Left
PORTFOLIO 		1.4	Left
AWESOME GOLF		2.1	Right
SLIME WORLD		2.8	Right
TT (w/picture)		3.0	Right
Total lap distance: 3.2 miles

DARLINGTON		Odo	Side
BASEBALL HEROES		0.9	Left
MS PACMAN		1.9	Right
STUN RUNNER		3.1	Right
ST (w/picture)		3.6	Right
Total lap distance: 3.7 miles

Transmission information:
Gear (7-speed)     Top Speed	Gear (4-speed)	    Top Speed
       1      		 29		1		 49
       2      		 55		2		106
       3      		 83		3		172
       4     		107		4		219
       5     		148
       6     		179
       7		219

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             CHIP'S CHALLENGE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#	Name			Code
------------------------------------
1	LESSON 1		BDHP
2	LESSON 2		JXMJ
3	LESSON 3		ECBQ
4	LESSON 4		YMCJ
5	LESSON 5		TQKB
6	LESSON 6		WNLP
7	LESSON 7		FXQO
8	LESSON 8		NHAG
9	NUTS AND BOLTS		KCRE
10	BRUSHFIRE		VUUS
11	TRINITY			CNPE
12	HUNT			WVHI
13	SOUTH POLE		OCKS
14	TELEBLOCK		BTDY
15	ELEMENTARY		COZQ
16	CELLBLOCKED		SKKK
17	NICE DAY		AJMG
18	CASTLE MOAT		HMJL
19	DIGGER			MRHR
20	TOSSED SALAD		KGFP
21	ICEBERG			UGRW
22	FORCED ENTRY		WZIN
23	BLOBNET			HUVE
24	OORTO GELD		UNIZ
25	BLINK			PQGV
26	CHCHCHIPS		YVYJ
27	GO WITH THE FLOW	IGGZ
28	PING PONG		UJDD
29	ARCTIC FLOW		QGOL
30	MISH MESH		BQZP
31	KNOT			RYMS
32	SCAVENGER HUNT		PEFS
33	ON THE ROCKS		BQSN
34	CYPHER			NQFI
35	LEMMINGS		VDTM
36	LADDER			NXIS
37	SEEING STARS		VQNK
38	SAMPLER			BIFA
39	GLUT			ICXY
40	FLOORGASBORG		YWFH
41	I.C. YOU		GKWD
42	BEWARE OF BUG		LMFU
43	LOCK BLOCK		UJDP
44	REFRACTION		TXHL
45	MONSTER LAB		OVPZ
46	THREE DOORS		HDQJ
47	PIER SEVEN		LXPP
48	MUGGER SQUARE		JYSF
49	PROBLEMS		PPXJ
50	DIG DIRT		QBDH
51	I SLIDE			IGGJ
52	THE LAST LAUGH		PPHT
53	TRAFFIC COP		CGNX
54	GRAIL			ZMGC
55	POTPOURRI		SJES
56	DEEPFREEZE		FCJE
57	STRANGE MAZE		UBXU
58	LOOP AROUND		YBLT
59	HIDDEN DANGER		BLDM
60	SCOUNDREL		ZYVI
61	RINK			RMOW
62	SLO MO			TIGW
63	BLOCK FACTORY		GOHX
64	SPOOKS			IJPQ
65	AMSTERDAM		UPUN
66	VICTIM			ZIKZ
67	CHIPMINE		GGJA
68	EENY MINY MOE		RTDI
69	BOUNCE CITY		NLLY
70	NIGHTMARE		GCCG
71	CORRIDOR		LAJM
72	REVERSE ALLEY		EKFT
73	MORTON			QCCR
74	PLAYTIME		MKNH
75	STEAM			MJDV
76	FOUR PLEX		NMRH
77	INVINCIBLE CHAMPION	FHIC
78	FORCED SQUARE		GRMO
79	DRAWN + QUARTERED	JINU
80	VANISHING ACT		EVUG
81	WRITERS BLOCK		SCWF
82	SOCIALIST ACTION	LLIO
83	UP THE BLOCK		OVPJ
84	WARS			UVEO
85	TELENET			LEBX
86	SUICIDE			FLHH
87	CITY BLOCK		YJYS
88	SPIRALS			WZYV
89	BLOCK BUSTER		VCZO
90	PLAYHOUSE		OLLM
91	JUMPING SWARM		JPQJ
92	VORTEX			DTMI
93	ROAD SIGN		REKF
94	NOW YOU SEE IT		EWCS
95	FOUR SQUARE		BIFQ
96	PARANOIA		WVHY
97	METASTABLE TO CHAOS	IOCS
98	SHRINKING		TKWD
99	CATACOMBS		XUVU
100	COLONY			QJXR
101	APARTMENT		RPIR
102	ICEHOUSE		VDDU
103	MEMORY			PTAC
104	JAILER			KWNL
105	SHORT CIRCUIT		YNEG
106	KABLAM			NXYB
107	BALLS O FIRE		ECRE
108	BLOCK OUT		LIOC
109	TORTURECHAMBER		KZQR
110	CHILLER			XBAO
111	TIME LAPSE		KRQJ
112	FORTUNE FAVORS THE	NJLA
113	OPEN QUESTION		PTAS
114	DECEPTION		JWNL
115	OVERSEA DELIVERY	EGRW
116	BLOCK BUSTER II		HXMF
117	THE MARSH		FPZT
118	MISS DIRECTION		OSCW
119	SLIDE STEP		PHTY
120	ALPHABET SOUP		FLXP
121	PERFECT MATCH		BPYS
122	TOTALLY FAIR		SJUM
123	THE PRISONER		YKZE
124	FIRETRAP		TASX
125	MIXED NUTS		MYRT
126	BLOCK N ROLL		QRLD
127	SKELZIE			JMWZ
128	ALL FULL		FTLA
129	LOBSTER TRAP		HEAN
130	ICE CUBE		XHIZ
131	TOTALLY UNFAIR		FIRD
132	MIX UP			ZYFA
133	BLOBDANCE		TIGG
134	PAIN			XPPH
135	TRUST ME		LYWO
136	DOUBLEMAZE		LUZL
137	GOLDKEY			HPPX
138	PARTIAL POST		LUJT
139	YORKHOUSE		VLHH
140	ICEDEATH		SJUK
141	UNDERGROUND		MCJE
142	PENTAGRAM		UCRY
143	STRIPES?		OKOR
144	FIREFLIES		GVXQ
145	(Ending Sequence)	....
146	CAKE WALK		JHEN
147	FORCE FIELD		COZA
148	MIND BLOCK		RGSK
149	SPECIAL			DIGW
150	(Ending sequence)	....
***	Mandelbrot Generator	MAND

     The code for level 146 was found on level 34 (Cypher). That level
spells out: JHEN  which is the password for level 146.
[ On atari.archive.umich.edu in /atari/lynx is a PostScript file that has
notes and a few maps for the levels. (ChipsChalngNotes.ps.Z ) ]

Mandelbrot Generator Instructions:
Thumb Joypad: Move the zoom in/out window
     A: Zoom in
     B: Zoom out
OPTION 1: Stop/start fractal generation
|| (PAUSE): Parameter menu, OPTION 2 picks which fractal set, OPTION 1
restarts the generation
       OPTION 2: Toggles between three modes:
                 - stops generation
                 - animation through color cycling
                 - reverse color cycling
     There is a limit on how far you can zoom.  The "zoom-in" effect is a
good example of the Lynx's ability to automatically scale bitmaps.
     The Lynx Mandelbrot code does 48-bit fixed-point math using 8 bits of
integer and 40 bits of fraction, via the hardware multiplier (16x16) and a
lot of help from the 65C02.  The comment line on it (the source) says it
was written by Steve Landrum of Blue Lightning fame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             CRYSTAL MINES II
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atari Lynx Crystal Mines II Level Codes
(still missing 25 bonus levels)
Compiled by Johanne Kaminski <[email-masked]>, January 1993

  1-TSLA    2-UEPT    3-MTFQ    4-IRTR    5-ZCXP    6-DPRX    7-OIGT
  8-YHYR    9-VYHK   10-ITCU   11-QCFK   12-BXNG   13-MOXA   14-IDWJ
 15-RFVC   16-GHSI   17-SKHU   18-TRFN   19-LQRE   20-AURV   21-TYGU
 22-FUIX   23-QFXV   24-XVXU   25-KYPO   26-HBTR   27-SFEB   28-HXRE
 29-TRVJ   30-FQCS   31-ZOIH   32-LHJV   33-GVYU   34-EMTV   35-OHXY
 36-GSTB   37-UXRC   38-PWYH   39-XQCE   40-PNGU   41-DZDI   42-PIPH
 43-PKAV   44-TBUM   45-CXRI   46-QIPZ   47-HBJP   48-NXKU   49-IGPY
 50-INUK   51-LPHD   52-NEBX   53-JVNL   54-CAQS   55-KEHL   56-EMSE
 57-ZLAE   58-MSXV   59-JXTD   60-SOVS   61-GHGV   62-QVOZ   63-ZCEL
 64-COYH   65-HJHT   66-DONQ   67-VBHF   68-JSMJ   69-HTRA   70-WBHD
 71-MVJX   72-ANZI   73-EDLA   74-PCMN   75-YJKJ   76-RAIQ   77-ZRWH
 78-ECMO   79-AOTP   80-SVWK   81-VRBD   82-SVYA   83-KRFH   84-CNQR
 85-YNXR   86-CWQU   87-YXFJ   88-SRDW   89-PDSQ   90-QKOA   91-CKLQ
 92-KHBA   93-MZKM   94-DYDO   95-IDIC   96-WVOM   97-NJCU   98-WUQR
 99-BSZB  100-RERF  101-WNON  102-IVLC  103-PJOL  104-RGEI  105-WCEF
106-DSGY  107-PHUF  108-NCDS  109-KOMZ  110-LFXQ  111-WAET  112-YJNV
113-TAUJ  114-IMOZ  115-NBFD  116-ZAPR  117-BXFT  118-GEFA  119-QIKD
120-GMWJ  121-MKIH  122-ULEL  123-KBDW  124-QEFP  125-SFJX  126-LQXW
127-INMQ  128-NMAD  129-RHEM  130-YHVR  131-FSHF  132-EIKJ  133-CQCR
134-AIYA  135-SXOE  136-EKDR  137-DRVY  138-RGUM  139-FEDC  140-PRKL
141-ONKO  142-QXPL  143-JRXP  144-PADJ  145-KGLI  146-FDXR  147-BLKS
148-TJGB  149-QKBT  150-AUEC

Of the 31 bonus levels, I thus far have only these 6:
  0-ZERO  (precedes level 1)
  3-DBFQ  (get to through level 27)
  9-BIOH  (get to through level 55)
 10-BNRY  (get to through level 59)
 21-TMCB  (get to through level ??)
 23-PNZS  (get to through level 119)
Thanks to Arun Welch <[email-masked]> for bonus level 0.

If you have codes for any of the other bonus levels (even just one!),
*please* send them to <[email-masked]> or <[email-masked]>.
Thanks, and have fun!

     Enter the password KIMI but don't press the A button to start the
game. Instead hold down Option 1 and Option 2 buttons and press B. You will
hear a sound like a machine gun and you'll see the first level (Down in the
Dirt) appear on the screen. Press A to skip ahead to the next level or
press B to move back through the list. When you see the level you want to
play, press any direction on the control pad to start the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            DRACULA THE UNDEAD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked]

First, get the notebook from the chest of drawers. Go into the bedroom and
get the tinder box from the table and the crucifix from the bed.  Use the
crucifix. Go to the dining room, get the oil from the table. Talk to
Dracula, and immediately afterwards, use the notebook. Go to the
antechamber, open the window and look out of it. Use the notebook. Climb
out of the window and go to the next window on the right.  This room should
be the bedroom.  Open the window and climb out of it. Make your way to the
top right window (it should be a big window like the one you climbed out of
initially). Examine the table, then use the notebook. Get the lantern, fill
it with oil and light it with the tinderbox. Go through the door on the
right into Dracula's money room. Get some money, get the box, then open the
box. Use the iron key you find in it on the door. Go into the crypt. Turn
the lantern so that it says "The lantern has been turned down". Go down,
right. Get the twine. Go right, down, down. Get the crowbar, examine the
coffin, use the notebook. Find your way back to Dracula's study. Climb out
of the window, and go back to the top left hand window. Go to the south
wing landing and use the crowbar on the door. Enter the sewing room. Wait
to be returned to the bedroom and then use the notebook. Climb out of the
window and go to the top left hand one. Go to the dining room, get the
sugar from the table. Go back to Dracula's study and get the lantern. Light
the lantern with the tinderbox and enter the catacombs again. Go down,
right, right, down, down. Get the small brass key from the coffin. Return
to the south hallway and use the small brass key to open the clock. Get the
small key. Return to Dracula's study, examine the desk and then use the
notebook. Get the hook from the drawer. Go to the money room and turn the
lever on the bottom wall. Enter the library through the door which opens
and examine the books. Examine the book you get, then tie the twine to the
hook. Enter the catacombs and go down, right, up, up. Climb the ladder and
then use the sugar on the horse. Get the spade and use it on the well. The
fishing line on the well, then climb down the well. THE END.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ELECTROCOP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the codes to all the doors and what they contain.
   Level  1  D1 = 2473 -> Level 2       Level  7  D1 = 6021 -> Level 4
             D2 = 9874 -> Level 2                 D2 = 5824 -> Level 9
             D3 = 8743 -> Weapons
                                        Level  8  D1 = 7698 -> Level 6
   Level  2  D1 = 3287 -> Lvl 7 (Right)
                          Lvl 3 (Left)  Level  9  D1 = 0170 -> Pla.Cannon
             D2 = 5409 -> Empty                   D2 = 1092 -> Empty
                                                  D3 = 7102 -> TriLaser
   Level  3  D1 = 9284 -> Level 4                 D4 = 4726 -> Empty
             D2 = 7210 -> Level 4                 D5 = 1375 -> Level 11
             D3 = 3936 -> Smart Bomb              D6 = 2857 -> Bi-Laser
             D4 = 7395 -> Plasma Cannon           D7 = 6998 -> Tri-Laser
             D5 = 8294                            D8 = 1798 -> Tri-Laser
                                                  D9 = 4321 -> Level 1
   Level  4  D1 = 0394 -> Weapons
                                       Level 10   Left Exit -> Level 11
   Level  5  D1 = 8658 -> Weapons               Middle Exit -> Level 9
             D2 = 5462 -> Door 7                 Right Exit -> Level 2
             D3 = 9973 -> End of Game
             D4 = 7642 -> Door 1       Level 11   D1 = 0293 -> Bi-Laser
             D5 = 0912 -> Door 2                  Left Exit -> Level 3
             D6 = 0974 -> Door 3                 Right Exit -> Level 12
             D7 = 7865 -> Door 4
             D8 = 4285 -> Door 5       Level 12   D1 = 2987 -> Pl.Cannon
             Stingrays -> Level 10                D2 = 6473 -> Pl.Cannon
    Open/Closing Doors -> Level 1
   Level  6  D1 = 9722 -> Level 5
             D2 = 8765 -> Level 12

     To crash the game go to either level 5 or 9 and get as many programs
hacking the door codes as possible. It may be best to set the code to the
one over the actual code (See above) so the program won't find the code too
soon.

     Turn off your sound at title screen, now hold up and left on the
joypad and keep tapping both A & B buttons until it says "LEVEL 1" instead
of "NOW TELEPORING TO LEVEL 1"..  Use joypad to choose level. (from
Star*Lynx)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             GATES OF ZENDOCON
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     There is a secret bonus level that contains pictures of the Lynx
designers and programmers and all the bonus weapons. At the beginning of
level TRYX turn on your shields and fly through the bottom of the floor. On
the deviding portion where the tanks are on are sections that flicker red.
Between the first square one and the next oval one is the spot. Then fly
about one ship's height above the bottom through the posts and under the
stalagtites. Enter the portal and there you go!

     Also, one level worth mentioning is the level BROT. This has
background pictures of the Mandelbrot set and the monsters behave in a way
that is a lot like Conway's Game of Life (Making a geometrical pattern).

     This map is a bit more informative than a sequential list of levels...
Note that it's possible to go in a circle by way of the secret level. (TRYX
-> Secret -> NERB -> ...) I keep on expecting to find similar paths thru
TRAX and SNEX. Anyone find anything like that?
Gates of Zendocon  -- Map by Howard Chu

     Each level's gates are numbered left to right, top to bottom, as the
terrain scrolls from left to right.

Start
 AAAA -->BASE 1
         2/  `--.
         /       ZYBX 2
        /       1/|3 `--.
       /        / |      XRXS
      /        /  |       |
     /        /   |    1 ANEX
    /        /    |  .--' |2
   /        /    NEAT     |
  /        /      |       |
  |       |      YARR     |
  |       |       |       |
  |       |    1 EYES     |
  |       |  .--' /2     /
  |      NYXX    /      /
  |     /       /      /
  |  ZYRB      /      /
  |    |      /______/
  |  SRYX    /
  |     \   /
  |      BARE 2
  |      1|  `--.
  |       |      XRAY
  |      STAX        `--.
  |       |              RATT
  |       |               |
  \      SZZZ            NYET
   \         `--.    .--'
    `----------->RAZE___ 2
                1/|3\4  `--------ROXX
                / |  \               `--.
               /  |   \                  NERB
              /   |    \_                 |
             /    |      TERA            TREY
            /     |       |          .--'
           /      |       |    2 STAR
          /       |       |  .--' |1
          |       |      BYTE    SSSS
          |       |       |       |
          |       |    1 BETA     |
          |       |  .--' |2      |
          |      TRAX     |       |
          |       |       |       |
          |    1 ZEBA     |       |
          |  .--' |2      |       |
         TRYX    ROXY     |       |
          |       |       |       |
         STYX    NEXA 1   |       |
          |       |2 `--. |       |
         YARB     |      NEST     |
          \       |       |       |
           \____  |      EBYX     |
                \ |  .--'-------<-'
              1  BREX
            .---'2| 3\___
        ZEST      |      \
       /          |       \
      /           |      STAB
     /            |       |
  ZORT            |       |
    |             |       |
    |             |    1 BOXX
    |             |  .--' |2
    |            SEBB     |
    |        .--'        TENT
    |    SNEX           /
    |     |            /
  BRAN   ZAXX         /
    `--------`--.    /
                 BROT
                  |
                 STOB
                  |
                 XTNT
                  |
                 BOTZ
                  |
                 SNAX 2
                 1|  `--.
                  |      NEAR
                  |  .--'
                 ZETA
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 GAUNTLET
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three endings to this game. (Not a cheat, but cool info...)
Choose a character and start the game, but do not move your player. Each
time you press OPT 1, you will jump ahead five levels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                   KLAX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can warp to level 56 by getting a "Big X" on level 11. You can also
warp to level 51 by getting a "Big X" on level 6. Both of these give you
bonuses of ~60,000 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                MS. PAC-MAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     To get extra speed press press Pause, Option 1, A, and Option 1. A
lighting bolt will appear, and unpause the game. Press 'B' to use it. To
get five lives in reserve press Pause, Option 1, B, B, A, A, Option 1 (only
once per game). Start game, pause and press option 1, B, B, B, Option 1,
unpause. Now use option 1 to skip levels. Start game, at anytime pause,
hold down option 1 hit A, B, A. Then release option 1 and hit option 1 the
2nd time.  The Light Bolt will appear.  Hit B to activate. (from Star*Lynx)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 PAC-LAND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     First get a high score. Put 330NE as the high score name. As long as
that's the highest score, you'll get ten extra lives when you play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                    QIX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

QIX Codes
Codes found by: Patrick and John Hardie
Flushing, NY
Text File by: John Hardie      03/18/92

After level 255 you go back to level 0. There is no known code for level 1.
 2- GFGHEF 	    3- GFGGEN      4- HAHEHF      5- HAHFNJ      6- HAHGOI
 7- HFHCPI      8- HFHNGF      9- HFHMIJ     10- IAIKCJ     11- IAILLE
12- IAIMAN     13- IFIIJE     14- IFILHJ     15- IFIKBJ     16- IFJFBF
17- IFJEHI     18- IFJHCM     19- IFJGIE     20- IFJBAI     21- IFJABE
22- IFJDHJ     23- IFJCBJ     24- IFJNBE     25- IFJMHI     26- IFJPCI
27- IFJOBH     28- IFJJHJ     29- BFAIFP     30- IFJLDF     31- IFJKHC
32- IFKFBJ     33- IFKEBF     34- IFKHHI     35- IFKGCM     36- IFKBOD
37- IFKAAI     38- IFKDCE     39- IFKCLG     40- IFKNBJ     41- IFKMKI
42- IFKPIC     43- IFKOBJ     44- IFKJKL     45- DFBIDC     46- IFKLBJ
47- IFKKPF     48- IFLFLF     49- IFLEBJ     50- IFLHPE     51- IFLGLF
52- IFLBBJ     53- IFLAPH     54- IFLDLF     55- IFLCBJ     56- IFLNPG
57- IFLMLF     58- IFLPBJ     59- IFLOPB     60- IFLJLF     61- BFCIIJ
62- IFLLPA     63- IFLKLF     64- IFMFCM     65- IFMEIK     66- IFMHAI
67- IFMGKJ     68- IFMBIC     69- IFMACM     70- IFMDAF     71- IFMCJJ
72- IFMNJA     73- IFMMJK     74- IFMPKJ     75- IFMOJA     76- IFMJJK
77- DFHIMF     78- IFMLHO     79- IFMKEL     80- IFNFKJ     81- IFNEIC
82- IFNHJF     83- IFNGIM     84- IFNBCM     85- IFNAIK     86- IFNDAI
87- IFNCKJ     88- IFNNIC     89- IFNMCM     90- IFNPHF     91- IFNOJB
92- IFNJJP     93- BFEIDF     94- IFNLFN     95- IFNKJP     96- IFOFCA
97- IFOEJJ     98- IFOHHF     99- IFOGPK     100- IFOBAM    101- IFOAIG
102- IFODHF    103- IFOCIG    104- IFONMJ    105- IFOMDI    106- IFOPID
107- IFOOAM    108- IFOJJF    109- DFFIMF    110- IFOLJD    111- IFOKCM
112- IFPFIK    113- IFPEAI    114- IFPHKJ    115- IFPGIC    116- IFPBEL
117- IFPAKL    118- IFPDIC    119- IFPCJF    120- IFPNIA    121- IFPMBJ
122- IFPPKL    123- IFPOIC    124- IFPJAF    125- BFGIHA    126- IFPLCH
127- IFPKII    128- IFAFKF    129- IFAEOB    130- IFAHJJ    131- IFAGAF
132- IFABNL    133- IFAAAM    134- IFADKF    135- IFACHF    136- IFANJI
137- IFAMCM    138- IFAPIK    139- IFAOAI    140- IFAJKJ    141- DFLIDC
142- IFALGL    143- IFAKKL    144- IFBFIC    145- IFBECI    146- IFBHKL
147- IFBGIC    148- IFBBEM    149- IFBAID    150- IFBDFF    151- IFBCIC
152- IFBNCM    153- IFBMIA    154- IFBPAI    155- IFBOKL    156- IFBJIC
157- BFIIJF    158- IFBLMB    159- IFBKCH    160- IFCFII    161- IFCEKF
162- IFCHOB    163- IFCGJJ    164- IFCBAF    165- IFCALI    166- IFCDAM
167- IFCCMF    168- IFCNHF    169- IFCMJJ    170- IFCPCH    171- IFCOIJ
172- IFCJKF    173- DFJIFB    174- IFCLJJ    175- IFCKCM    176- IFDFIK
177- IFDEAI    178- IFDHKJ    179- IFDGIC    180- IFDBCL    181- IFDAKL
182- IFDDIC    183- IFDCHL    184- IFDNPF    185- IFDMLF    186- IFDPDI
187- IFDOPF    188- IFDJLF    189- BFKINM    190- IFDLJF    191- IFDKFF
192- IFEFKH    193- IFEEBL    194- IFEHPF    195- IFEGLF    196- IFEBAF
197- IFEAJI    198- IFEDAM    199- IFECAF    200- IFENHF    201- IFEMJM
202- IFEPCH    203- IFEOIJ    204- IFEJKF    205- BFNIHB    206- IFELJJ
207- IFEKCM    208- IFFFIK    209- IFFEAI    210- IFFHKJ    211- IFFGIC
212- IFFBCL    213- IFFAKL    214- IFFDIC    215- IFFCFL    216- IFFNPF
217- IFFMLF    218- IFFPJF    219- IFFOIC    220- IFFJCM    221- FFIIFK
222- IFFLBI    223- IFFKPF    224- IFGFLF    225- IFGEAF    226- IFGHIF
227- IFGGCL    228- IFGBKI    229- IFGAIC    230- IFGDCM    231- IFGCLH
232- IFGNAI    233- IFGMCO    234- IFGPLG    235- IFGOAI    236- IFGJBC
237- BFPICG    238- IFGLCH    239- IFGKIA    240- IFHFGJ    241- IFHEKL
242- IFHHIC    243- IFHGHF    244- IFHBIC    245- IFHACM    246- IFHDIB
247- IFHCAI    248- IFHNDA    249- IFHMLG    250- IFHPAF    251- IFHOIA
252- IFHJCM    253- BFOIBK    254- IFHLAI    255- IFHKDA      O- BFBFLM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  RAMPAGE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     To play any of the 61 levels, pause and unpause the game on the
selection screen before you choose your monster. At the newspaper screen,
you can choose a level with the joypad while holding down Option 1. Here's
a bonus: Activate the level select trick (Pause and unpause when choosing
your monster). At the newspaper, hold down Option 1 and select Day 6. Press
Pause twice. Hold down Option 1 and select Day 15. Press Pause twice. Hold
down Option 1, Option 2, and the 'B' button simultaneously. The game will
end, but there will be a "smiling programmer" instead of the winning
monster.
===== Levels and City Names =====
     1. BOISE                                32. MINNEAPOLIS
     2. PORTLAND                             33. MILWAUKEE
     3. SEATTLE                              34. CHICAGO
     4. SACRAMENTO                           35. DETROIT
     5. OAKLAND                              36. CELVELAND
     6. SAN FRANCISCO                        37. DAYTON
     7. LOS ANGELES                          38. CINCINNATI
     8. SAN BERNADINO                        39. INDIANAPOLIS
     9. SAN DIEGO                            40. LOUSVILLE
     10. LAS VEGAS                           41. MEMPHIS
     11. SALT LAKE CITY                      42. NASHVILLE
     12. PHOENIX                             43. JACKSON
     13. TUSCON                              44. BIRMINGHAM
     14. EL PASO                             45. ATLANTA
     15. ALBUQUERQUE                         46. TAMPA
     16. DENVER                              47. MIAMI
     17. CHEYENNE                            48. CHARLESTON
     18. BUTTE                               49. CHARLOTTE
     19. BISMARCK                            50. RICHMOND
     20. SIOUX FALLS                         51. BALTIMORE
     21. OMAHA                               52. WASHINGTO D.C.
     22. LINCOLN                             53. PHILADELPHIA
     23. KANSAS CITY                         54. PITTSBURGH
     24. WICHITA                             55. BUFFALO
     25. OKLAHOMA CITY                       56. SYRACUSE
     26. DALLAS                              57. BOSTON
     27. HOUSTON                             58. PROVIDENCE
     28. NEW ORLEANS                         59. NEWARK
     29. LITTLE ROCK                         60. NEW YORK CITY
     30. ST LOUIS                            61. SUNNYVALE
     31. DES MOINES
===== Headlines (XXXX... ON NTH DAY) =====
  GIANT MONSTER GOES ON RAMPAGE (level 1)
  ALL-OUT BATTLE...
  CITY-STOMPING...
  DEADLY DISASTER...
  FEROCIOUS RAMPAGE...
  INTENSE FIGHTING...
  MASS DEVASTATION...
  MONSTROUS MELEE...
  NATIONWIDE MAYHEM...
  PERILOUS POUNDING....
  TRAGIC ONSLAUGHT...
===== Captions =====
  AQUATIC STARLET WADES INTO DEEP TROUBLE...
  AVOID LIGHTNING IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO CONDUCT YOURSELF
  CABBIES CRY "NO FARE!!"
  CITY HOWLING MAD, SAUSAGE SCAM EXPOSED
  DAIRY EXPLODES - UDDER CHAOS EVERYWHERE...
  DRINK THE FINAL POTION TO INDUCE YOUR BACKWARD MOTION
  EAT FOOD ITEMS TO INCREASE HEALTH...
  EVER-GROWING CONCERN OVER MEGA-VITAMIN...
  EX-MUTANT IS ARRESTED FOR STREAKING
  GET A BANG OUT OF LIFE -- PICK UP DYNAMITE
  GIANT APE THROWS MONKEY WRENCH INTO CITY WORKS
  GIANT WEREEOLF GOES SHOPPING...SACKS 5TH AVENUE...
  GUILTY LAB TECHNICIAN DISCOVERS CURE
  GYM SOCK THIEF THWARTED...SUSPECT BEING HELD (AT ARM'S LENGTH...)
  HAVE A FRIEND FOR DINNER...BURP
  HAVE YOU EVER BEEN THE "MONKEY-IN-THE-MIDDLE"???...OUCH!...
  HINT: FOOD BEHIND OPEN WINDOWS...
  HINT: WANT TO EAT WELL? PUNCH SLOWER...
  HOVERING HELICOPTERS HERALD HUMONGOUS HURT...
  IS THERE NO END TO THIS RAMPAGE?
  JOB OPENINGS IN NATIONAL GUARD
  KEEP THE SPRY LAB TECHNICIAN IN SUNNYVALE...OR ELSE!!
  LAB SCREW-UP WEARS OFFF...FILM AT 11...
  LAB TECHNICIAN SIGHTED IN SUNNYVALE...
  MEGA VITAMINS -- JUST SAY NO...!
  PLAY "TROLLEY HANDBALL" WITH YOUR FRIENDS
  POTIONS GIVE SPECIAL POWERS...
  PROPERTY VALUES AT ALL-TIME LOW...
  RADIOACTIVE LAKE CHANGES WOMAN'S SCALE
  REAL ESTATE PRICES PLUMMET...BUYERS BEWARE
  REAL LIFE JEKYLL AND HYDE STORY!!
  SHORTAGE OF PRIME OFFICE SPACE...MARKET COLLAPSES
  SOMETHING'S BREWING ON THE ROOF AT THE ARGLEBARF CHEMICAL COMPANY
  SPOUSE OF MUTANT FILES LEGAL ACTION
  TANK BUT NO TANKS...
  THERE ARE NO (BUY A LYNX) SUBLIMINAL (OR TWO) IN THIS GAME (BUY A LYNX)
  VIDEO PIRACY IN CITY HALL? MAYOR IN REEL TROUBLE...!
  YOU CAN LEAD YOU BUDDIES TO WATER, BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM SWIM
  WARNING!: ELECTRICITY IS SHOCKING...
  WITNESS SHEDS NEW LIGHT ON FLUORESCENT BULB SCAM...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  RAMPART
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[I'm not sure exactly how to do this one, if someone knows, please mail
me... --kd]
     Clear two veteran levels and ??? and push the joypad left as if you
were trying to select a different battlefield. The highlight will disappear
and then you press A or B you will play on one of the two player levels.
     During the cannon stage, if you click five times on a place where the
cannon can't be built, you'll go on ahead to the firing stage. One strategy
is to place the cannon over a boat you plan to target and click five times,
so that when you start the firing stage the crosshairs will already be over
he boat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                               ROAD BLASTERS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Hit the first tree on either side of the road, hold down the B button
on the first level.  Or, drive slowly on the right side of the road. Inch
forward to the first tree, and wait until it disappears, and press the B
button.  You can now use OPTION 1 and OPTION 2 to select your *next* level.
You'll also get the pictures of the programmers. (You can also drive down
the left or right side of the road holding the B button...) Deaccelerate
from 204 down to around 188 or so and acelerate again until you get up to
205 MPH! (from Star*Lynx)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                   RYGAR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Floating shield trick: Throw the shield in front of you, then restart the
game with Option 1 and Pause. When you restart the game, your shield will
be floating in front of you. As soon as you fire, your shield returns to
normal. (programming glitch?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                               SCRAPYARD DOG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     When you start the game, wait until your man appears and press PAUSE
Now press right on the joypad and press the "B" button at the same time.
You should see a message at the bottom othe screen that says "SHIELD
AWARDED." Note: This works only once at the beginning of each level. Found
by: Sky (John Hardie From Flushing, NY) Feb. 1992.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            SHADOW OF THE BEAST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Keep in mind when you read this that Beast is an arcade game, thus
just knowing how to do this may not be enough. Quick reflexes may be
necessary. Also, my strategy is not perfect in places... if you know how to
improve my technique (ie, you don't get hit as much) let me know
([email-masked]).

     Outside. Start by running to the left. Watch for the bats that will
fly down (I've only made it through here unscathed a couple times, normally
I just run back to the right a little bit and duck when I hear the bats
shriek). There are two different sets of bats, and each set of bats will
attack in two different smaller groups. As soon as you get past the second
set of bats, there are three metal traps in the ground. All you need to do
is jump and land between the sets of "jaws". Enter the tree (there is
nothing of value further to the left).

     In the tree, part one. The small head at the bottom of the staircase
will shoot at you when you get a certain distance from it (something you're
bound to discover on your own!). Climb down the ladder and head to the
left. The game progresses pretty linearly here. You've got a few platforms
to jump and a few monsters to dispose of, but there's really only one way
to go. When you get past the green guys with the swords (watch out for
those spikes overhead!), climb up the ladder and head to the right (passing
the next ladder which is heading up) until you come to the ladder that goes
down. A bit more jumping on platforms and you'll come to a blue total
health restoring potion. Things progress a bit more and you will encounter
these golden flying things. When you are at this point, you will climb down
a ladder and find a silvery (but with red center) circular device stuffed
in a corner to the right (somewhat near a big skeleton lodged in the wall).
This is a teleporter that will take you back a ways. Don't use it yet.
Instead, head to the left, ignoring the ladder heading down.

     Next, you will come to the weird eagle thing that is holding a blue
crystal globe. Time his fire-breathing activities and get up close to him
when he's not scorching the air in your vicinity. Ducking will avoid the
fire. Then, when he's not breathing fire, punch the globe (it will flash
each time you hit it). I counted eleven hits for it to be finished. You
will then have the blue globe in your inventory (you'll get to use it soon
enough). Head back to the right the way you came, and then take the ladder
down.

     You will climb down a jog in the ladders, and then head left instead
of down. To the left, you will find an area with a key. I've found it
easiest to jump off of the moving platform into that section and then
getting onto the up-down moving platform without the resident blue guy
seeing me. (Basically don't walk to the left at all after jumping off of
that moving platform. Just hop straight onto the up-down platform). Now,
head back to the right. If you need health, climb down that ladder that I
told you not to climb down before and head to the left. All the way left is
a blue complete health restoration potion.

     I have a hint for this whole section. I found it much quicker to avoid
catching all the ropes and jumping on all the platforms by simply falling
off the ledges. The health potions were conveniently spaced so that I could
easily survive these falls (watch out for spikes though!) and leave this
area with full health. Climb back up the ladders and hop in the teleporter.

     After teleporting, hit option 1 and select the blue globe. The blue
globe gives you a nifty missile weapon. Head left and climb up the ladder.
When you move to the right, a wall will rise sealing you from escape! There
is a lone spike "bush" in the middle of this little battlefield. Stand with
the Beast's right foot just about touching the left edge of the bush. When
the monster rises up, duck. You should be below his shots. Note that before
he rises up, he will fire one shot. Try to jump over them, but they don't
do too much damage so don't worry too much. I comfortably get four shots in
before I have to duck. It takes fifteen shots total (don't waste these
shots, I've found them useful later). Hit option 1 and select "exit" in
order to go back to regular punches. Off to the right, you enter the second
half of the tree and a new save point!

     In the tree, part two. As you run to the right, you will run past a
machine with a lever, gears and a chain coming out of the top. Ignore that
for the moment, and jump over the spikes. After you climb down the ladder,
there will be some snakes coming out of the floor and spitting at you. Just
run up to them and punch them after they spit. After the second and third
snakes a bird thing will fly down and you will need to duck. Don't take the
downward ladder after the snakes. Instead, pick up the gear and head back
to the machine. Once there, hit option 1 and select the gear. Assuming
you're standing close to the machine, the gear will go in place. Punch the
lever and a platform will lower. Climb onto the platform and punch the
lever again to go up. Go to the right and get the torch hanging from a
support pole. Head left, beat up some green guys and flip the switch on the
wall. Climb up the ladder you past when you went to flip the switch, and
head left past the bouncing eyeballs (!?). When the dragon stops breathing
fire, run, pick up the key and stand next to him and wait out his next
attack. After that, run back to the right and past the eyeballs. If you
need health, head to the right and pick up the blue potion. Otherwise, head
back down the ladder and the "elevator". Go past the snakes again, and then
head downward. Head right and punch the lever. Then turn back and cross the
platform that had been extended across what used to be a gap. Punch the
lever you find off to the left and then go back to the right and downard
(gadzooks! They've got you running back and forth!). Run left after getting
to the bottom of the ladder and use the moving platforms to take you
further left. You will find a blue "glove" suspended in midair. If it's
surrounded by electricity, you forgot to flip the switch in the hallway
underneath those bouncing eyeballs. As you head back right past the ladder,
a couple of those red batlike things will fly down. Try to hit them,
because now is a good time to conserve health. You've got a ways to go
before a refill. Continue on downward and avoid the obstacles (I have
really got much to comment on here. Just practice your timing around the
spikes and try not to get hit.) When you get to the ghosts, if you head
right instead of down the ladder to the left you can avoid having to deal
with these rocket engines that are mysteriously igniting. However, only
avoid those engines if you have the health to take a fall into spikes (and
you must also be confident of your ability to get rid of the dragon). Hit
option 1 and select the yellow glove. You can't kill the dragon without it.
If you watch the timing, you will notice that the spike will drop to the
floor and the dragon will stop breathing fire. That is when you need to
jump across. You can comfortably punch the dragon five times before you
need to jump back across when the spike is down. It takes a total of thirty
hits to blast this guy. Use the yellow key you picked up to leave the tree
area through the well.

     Topside once again. All right! So we're out of that hellhole of a
tree. Well, there's still a bunch of ickyness to deal with up top. First,
stand in front of the cannon. After the nifty little green dude lights the
fuse (wait for it to be burning), punch the cannon. The little guy gets
blast and leaves a handy gun behind. Now, head back to the right
eliminating the baddies that you encounter. The columns that look like
piles of rock contain potentially useful items (there is only one evil
column in the game, and that comes near the end). The first two you come
across have health bonuses. The last one contains a large ball. Push the
ball along with you as you avoid the spikes and use it to plug up a hole
from which some green and red balls are popping. When you get to the funky
pterodactyl statue, don't be alarmed. This is actually a pretty easy
monster. He does a bit of damage if he hits you, so don't let him. Punch
the statue five times to let the monster out, and then punch him three
times to take back the freedom you just gave him. I personally hate the
spider forest that comes next, but at least there is health afterwards. The
eyeballs aren't too bad once you see the holes that you can rest in. Duck
as the green guy flies overhead, and then punch him as he comes back around
but lower. When the flying dragon drops the winged bomb, punch the bomb
before it explodes and it will eradicate the annoying swarm of insects. I
think you can handle the rest of the obstacles until you get to the castle.

     In the castle. Go left, past the ladder, and get rid of the green,
hoppy guys. Flip the switch. Go back and climb the ladder.  You can only
punch wooden barrels; the silver balls and indestructible.  There are two
wooden barrels followed by a metal ball, and this repeats itself
indefinitely. Hit the first wooden barrel, and use the ladder up to the
next level as a means to dodge the second barrel and the metal ball.  When
you get to the floor where the barrels are dropping down, run to the left
and flip the switch. Climb the ladder to the top floor, and punch the
chests to the right for health, except be forewarned that the very last
chest contains a green guy who shoots arrows, and the second to last chest
can be stood on to avoid the arrows. Kill the green guy by punching the
chest before getting the last bit of health. Run to the right, avoid axes
and flying dragons. Pick up the wrench. Climb down the first ladder you
come to. As you run to the right, watch for green dudes in the floor which
throw knives at you. To avoid getting hit by the axes that come down, stand
right underneath whence they come, and they'll fly over you from each side.
After defeating the three big green mouths, run and jump across the gap.
You need to jump at the last second to make it. Punch the little head in
the wall three times, and jump onto the chandelier as it lowers. Wait for
the spider to go up to run underneath it. More axes. Some spiders need to
be punched once or twice before they'll go up. After climbing down the
ladders, you'll be back near the entrance. Go right. You might want to
consider using some of your remaining shots from the blue ball to kill the
red bouncy blobs and the bats after them. The gates here will only be open
if you've flipped both switches prior to getting here. Climb down the
ladder; don't go all the way to the left. Some health is on the right then.
Go left, wait for the metal ball to pass, go left, climb the ladder, climb
into the pit, and duck. Wait for the ball, go left, and climb down the
ladder. Pick up the spare bullets, and climb down the next ladder. Run to
the right until you see the gargoyles; then run back to the left, and punch
the button on the wall. There's another green guy in the floor after the
axes. Use the wrench to get past the electric field. Climb up the ladder,
go to the left, and flip the switch. Arm yourself with the gun, climb down
the other ladder, and go to the right. Get in close, and just shoot.  And
keep shooting.  You shouldn't need to refill the gun. Use the blue key to
unlock the door. You are now outside.

     Outside the castle. Go right. Punch the tombstones for health. In the
second set of tombstones, the second tombstone contains a ghost instead of
health. Kill everything. To kill the final guy, watch his shot pattern. Get
in close and jump and kick the face in the middle of his body.
Congratulations, you won.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 SHANGHAI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     To view the victory screen, go to the high score table and press
Pause. Hold down Option 1, Option 2, A, B, and press the joypad diagonally
up and to the left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                SLIME WORLD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     At the title page, hold down OPT 2, then hold down OPT 1. Next press
the joypad up and right. Let go of everything at once. You will be
invincible! In multiplayer games, all invincible players are kept in an
"alternate universe". Basically, invincible players will show up on the
maps of other invincibles, but not on the maps of the regular players.

     One (There may be others) secret level is on level 6. As soon as you
enter shoot the floor immediately to the right of Todd. The floor will open
up to another level.

     A 'Zit Popping' game can be played by going to the summary screen and
then going to the screen where Todd is green. Press Option 1 and you'll see
a zit. Blow it up by hitting the buttons as fast as you can.

     4EB435 and 6134A4 will crash Slime World so completely that the only
way to recover is to turn the lynx off and on again!

     The codes found in this text file were compiled by Mr. Kale Swindell
of La Canada, CA. He indicates that these codes will place your character
(TODD) at one of the restart stations located in the game. The further
along the code is in the list, the further into the level your character
will be restarted.

Adventure 1: EASY
24CAA1  E8CA6C  EC8AA9  118AEA  6FCBE9  919073  E70926  A809E3  6B4B6C
66CBE0  25CBA7  114928  12C9AA  550894  D7C956  19CB93  198AD2  9D0AD9
45C9C5  5DC9DD  070946  CA090D  CCC94F  30C988  4F8B09  0B8BCD  098BC3
078BC1  C28A87  870AC3  8A0ACE  8F0BC8

Adventure 2: EXPLORATION
269AF3  ED9ABE  ECDA78  ED9BBF  E4DB71  259BF7  EA193D  EF58F9  D199B9
E79EB4  EDDE7D  EE9EBF  D29EBB  E79FB5  2F9CF2  6CDCE3  AC5CB2  139CFE
159DF9  D01A24  559925  5A9E23  43DFE9  1E1969  1DDCA0  1899E0  1CD8AF
0399EB  865591  465F57  4EDFDD  75DFD8  245947  085F11  4C5C52  070997
4FDFDD  089ADD  70DCDF  75DCD8  F1181B  B51FDA  711B9B  8EDA1A  F1DA45
745947  749807  F659C1  B85D87  BD1DC0  B79B40  3DDC80  B79B40  7E5D4D
205F09  7F9E0C  60DEC9  20D988  205F09

Adventure 3: ACTION
9157B6  AB9277  2F1176  919073  198AD2  5DC9DD  15563D  569039  98D638
1796FC  111671  5417B2  1DD7BB  1993FB  D052FC  1492F9  D91225  5CD1E4
5CD6E5  011766  DC93A6  1E1262  43536C  42506C  47972D  0D97EB  77D1DF
B816D8  7A575B  B610D8  72139C  0C1654  8916E9  4D9115  F150D3  CA9095
0892D5  8F9350  B69358  391245  FF9086  BC12C0  BD11C4  3C5604  215601
211746  67970D  EAD74B  6B910B  62920F  A610C8

Adventure 4: SUSPENSE
DD0114  DDC154  9D8154  5DC0D4  5C8114  5C4157  1C4117  DC0117  DCC157
DF8197  9C01D7  9C4197  5D8014  9CC117  5C0097  5CC0D7  DCC0D7  C641D9
C941D8  494158  C9C659  464159  474059  46C0D9  464058  884284  0B82C4
0DC286  8C4280  8E4282  B0824C  34004E  C7071C  1A472B  1A076B  1DC7AB
5DC7EB  5D872B  5D476A  5C07AA  9702EB  10C3A2  110362  114322  918362
2E81E6  9146A1  9106E1  EEC666  114621  110661  11C6A6  2E0666  2E4626
2E86E7  2EC6A7  2B413A  2B81FB  2BC1BB  28413B  2881F8  28C1B8  294138
2981F9  29C1B9  24413F  2387F1  200771  E00731  A007F1  6006B1  210671
E10631  A106F1  6101B1  3E0272  FEC171  BEC131  7EC0F1  3EC0B1  FFC071
BF00F1  7F03B1  3C0371  FC0331  BC03F1  7C02B1  3D0271  7C4371  3A0276
FA42F6  BA42B6  FAC276  BA8176  BD42B1  BD02F1  BDC231  A48278

Adventure 5: LOGIC
D9E275  9C26F4  9B62B7  02A2FF  9F63B0  C02032  C4E17F  C2A1B2  032770
DF67F4  022470  05E7B3  47667F  4621BE  8522F9  06E3B8  8921F8  C966F9
8C65BB  CDE665  71E1E1  4C21A4  0EE3A0  CAA3A5  8D62A1  8F22E3  7527A3
336720  CEE565  F52520  39652C  3CA4EB  B7E42D  B2A662  BA64A8  F162ED
77E3E9  796168  BBA66B  3BE0AA  FF61D6  60A417  236516  E02711  A12601
652692  E8E55F  A6E61E  6A2798  AD25D8  27A1DF  A7A358  7CE2D1

Adventure 6: ARCADE
012D7C  016E39  016938  00EAA5  002A64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              S.T.U.N. RUNNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Start out at level 11 (Labyrinth) and complete it. On level 12
(Coathanger) go right and catch the boost and continue going right. You
will fly up and then continue and cross the finish line. You will be warped
to level 18!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                               SUPER SKWEEK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Choose Normal Game from the options. At the map screen position Skweek
(or Skruch) over the "O" in the word GARGOUIL LAND and scale until you
can't fly any lower. You will see a snorkeling furball. It may take some
positioning, but maneuver yourself over the furball and then press OPT 1 so
you can go to the forbidden islands. If you want two extra men, scale onto
the small island directly to the right of the WELCOME ISLAND in the upper
right corner of the dark blue spot. You will see a Skweek next to a palm
tree. Hover over it and push OPT 1 for two extra lives. To gain 3000 extra
coins, scale over to the large body of water in the PAGALAGOS ISLAND. You
will see a Skweek. Hover over it, push OPT 1 and the cash is yours. (from
July 1992 EGM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                   TOKI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Press and hold down OPT1 and UP before the title screen appears get
into "freak out" mode. Pressing A or B starts the game normally (from
Star*Lynx BBS).

     For those of you trying to get the digitized picture of the TOKI
designers to appear in TOKI but are having trouble, I've found that holding
the pad UP and holding OPTION 1 simultaneously JUST as the screen fades to
black to show the "Continue" screen usually produces the white dot after
the timer expires (of course hold UP and OPTION 1 through the whole
duration of the continue screen.)

     While trying to get the digitized picture, I discovered an
"additional" trick (at least I think no one has posted about this before.)
Kill all your men in TOKI.  Once at the "Continue?" screen, after the first
"beep" of the countdown, and while the timer still shows a 9, press UP and
OPTION 1 at the same time, and hold them, just like for the digitized trick.
You'll see the GAME OVER screen, but keep holding them.  The TOKI demo will
appear... keep holding UP and on OPTION 1.  After the names of the
designers fall down, the demo should go psychedelic!!  The demo will cycle
through colours, a catchy tune will begin, and the pad will allow you to
sample digitized TOKI sounds...furthermore, pressing DOWN and LEFT
repeatedly will cause the samples to descend in pitch.  Conversely,
pressing UP and RIGHT repeatedly will cause the samples to ascend in pitch.
Note: Once the new demo begins, release UP & OPTION 1.  Then use pad to
sample sounds.
Have fun!
Jason
--
Jason Patrick Bennett     "The little girl had the making of a poet in her
Simon Fraser University    who, being told to be sure of her meaning before
Burnaby, B.C., Canada      she spoke, said: 'How can I know what I think
[email-masked]            till I see what I say?'"  --Graham Wallas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                           TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     In Tournament Cyberball there is an apparent bug in the game that can
be a real cheat.  This works well against another human player.  I haven't
tried it against the computer.  I'm guessing the computer is "too smart" to
fall for this cheat.  Anyways, if you're fairly far up the field, you can
run your quarterback all the way to the opposite end of the field, before
throwing your pass. "Unrealistic" passes can be completed from the opposite
end of the field. Watch out though, some computerized cyberbots will follow
you all the way.

     The advantage of this cheat is simple: It takes out a few of the
computerized defenders, and it throws the defense player off by not
allowing the defense player to see where your receivers are going. In other
words, all you see on both player's lynx's is a pretty much blank screen
with nothing but a quarterback and a few rushers....With enough practice,
one can have little trouble blindly throwing passes like this.

     Lastly, don't try this cheat on the "Real" arcade version of this
game.  It doesn't work.  Actually it's quite amusing what happens.  When
you think the quarterback is going to throw a 70 + yard pass, he/she/it
ends up throwing a pass that lands like 1 yard right in front of the QB.
Try it if you're ahead sometime on the arcade version.  Is kinda
amusing....;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                               VIKING CHILD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viking Child -Codes-
Village Castle: OMEGAMAN
Forest Mountain: PATRICIA
Land Bridge Lake: REDDWRARF
Labyrinth Mund Flat Volcano: DEWSBURY
Desert Pramid: ISLAND
Codes from Wizz Kidd (Mike Reed from Tempe, Az)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 WARBIRDS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     When playing alone, pause the game and you can still look around with
the 'B' button. This may help new pilots so they can pause the action, look
around and plan their route.

     For single-player Grave Sight, as soon as you die (when the roses and
skulls border appears) quickly pause the game. 'A' button will change the
viewpoint from plane to plane (And to the point where you died). Look
around with the joypad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 XENOPHOBE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hints:
     First the basics.  I love the yellow electro gun, so all my strategy
revolves around this gun.  The puffer gun does more damage.
I usually crawl along the ground and fire alot.  I stand to kill festers
and ceiling vines.  Jump to move quickly.

Festers  (the fellows who appear on the sides of the screen) Take these
guys out by being just over half a screen away from them.  Fire like crazy.
You better make sure you are at least half a screen away because these
really hurt!  You can advance on them once they retreat and expose their
hand, makes killing them easier if you do.  When they throw stuff, you
better be facing them and firing... Getting hit by this stuff stuns you,
likely costing your life on later levels.  You can kill them with the
puffer gun by laying low near the edge of the screen, and standing up and
firing as soon as they start to retreat.  You can always ignore these guys
buy crawling along the floor... but it's good to take them out as soon as
you can.  They produce other aliens, and create another hazard. You can
often kill festers on the adjacent screen by firing very close to the edge.
I used this to my advantage alot on level 22, which is almost nothing but
festers.

Ceiling vines:  As I mentioned earlier, make sure you don't move into them
while firing. Stop, then aim up and fire.

Rollerbies (the armadillo like things that curl into a ball) Getting hit by
these balled up creatures can stun you for some time, like the festers can,
which means losing your life in later levels. Fire alot at them to make
them roll the other way of course.  Don't fire too much if there is a
closed door in the way, as they'll bounce  back at you at high speed. They
unravel once they stop moving. I often fire once or twice at them to make
them stop.  They then unravel and I kill them.  Or, I throw a grenade, and
fire just enough to make them be near the grenade.  These guys are what
really threatens your life at the beginning of later levels...  Don't
underestimate what a mob of these can do to your game.  :)  One stuns you,
then every alien and their   brother beat up on you while you can't do
anything.  Then you lose your gun, and losing your gun on later levels
usually means the end of your life, if not your whole game!  (you usually
get a laser with your new  guy, which often is inadaquate).  Point blank
shots often don't work on these guys for some reason, very important to
remember.

Laser firing security drones:  Of course you can make these stop firing at
you by getting the disk and putting it in the security machine. But did you
know that you can kill them?  You have to fire alot, unless you have a
puffer gun.  Stand and fire diagonally up, fire like crazy, and don't
change directions!  They'll move right into your fire.  The laser gun does
so little damage, it is questionable if you should do this with that gun.
I kill these drones on every floor I encounter them until I find the disk.
Little crawling aliens: crawl and fire alot, jump if you they stick to you.
On later levels, it often isn't wise to jump immediately... you might jump
into a festers xray beam, and get stunned, lose your gun, your life, your
game...

Snotterpillars (big hopping spitting aliens):  While heading towards a new
screen, if you hear that you are hitting something just before you enter
the new screen, stop and keep firing until the sound stops.  Then fire a
lot as you enter the new screen.  Firing at them usually stops the nasty
spittle they throw.  You should have no problems taking out mobs of these
fellows by firing alot.  Stop moving as soon you are hitting one, you want
to hit them as far away as you can.  I am pretty brave with these guys,
I'll take on a big mob of them at once.  Just fire very very fast.  If too
many get close, or are about to, move directly away and hit jump twice (or
more) in a row.  This one tactic is the main reason why I survive so long!
Not only does it make you run away quickly, it also has the effect of
dodging their spittle.  Practice turning around and hopping away repeatly
when there aren't aliens around.  Make sure you are moving away before
jumping, otherwise you'll jump up instead of away, and then you're really
If you have the puffer gun, have no fear-- if you fire fast enough, you can
kill a solid wall of these guys with it.
machine that spits out bombs:  Each bomb does 200 damage I think, so be
careful.  Jump away or over bombs that get thrown near you.  hit option two
to fix the machine, then hit option one until you have a full load of
grenades.

self destructing:  often a good idea, unless you are about to finish the
level.  You won't get 200 bonus health, but on later levels you'll probably
lose more than that.  I usually self destruct 2 or maybe 3 levels.

Fire levels:  I am continually switching from the fire extinguisher to the
electro gun on this level.  Put out the fire, run and grab your gun and
clear the rooms until you hit the next fire, etc.  You can push along both
guns, but it's risky.  Fires count as part of the alien remaining count...
so don't leave the fires for last!  Otherwise you'll get stuck with a fire
extinguisher on your next level.  If I'm cautious, I often gain more health
than I lose on these levels.

level 21:  This level is utter hell.  Makes every other level look silly.
Be paranoid with every room you enter.  I can't stress enough how hard this
level is.  Fire as fast as you can.  Good luck keeping your gun...  that's
the main thing actually on the later levels, keeping your gun.  The
beginning of 21 and other later levels is hellish, this is one place where
I wouldn't feel guilty using alot of grenades.  Those hordes of rollerbies
are a real problem at the beginning of levels.

level 22:  This level is as easy as 21 is hard. Almost nothing but festers.
This level might not be so easy if you don't have an electro-gun.  I always
have one here.

level 23, final level:  Use my technique for killing snotterpillars,
especially hopping away repeatedly when mobs get close.  Grenades here can
take a wall of snotterpillers, what a rush. :)   Keep up a wall of fire to
stop their spittle.  Be wary of hidden ceiling vines on the edges of the
screen.  Fire as fast as you can when you see the mother alien, crawl
behind her while firing when you've cleared the other aliens in the room.
Fire at her head once you're behind her. (diagonally up from ground)
It's important to learn to survive with a laser gun until you can get
something better.  Be very convervative, do most of your killing from the
adjacent screen.  Hit things as far away as possible.  Run from
snotterpillars when they get inside your max range (yup, hop twice again..)
use grenades if you have to.  God I hate losing your gun on the later
levels. Free free to mail me any questions and comments.  Is the arcade
game exactly the same?
Michael Kaye   [email-masked]  Twin Peaks ADDICT
Map:
      Guide to abbreviations
      BM  - Bomb Machine
      E   - Elevator
      F   - Fire
      FP  - Fireball Pit
      FS  - Fire in space station
      IS  - Infestation Screen
      GD  - Green ooze Dripping from ceiling
      O   - Outdoors
      FO  - Floor opening
      MSU - Moving stars Unit
      PR  - Pestering Robot
      RN  - Research Notes
      SC  - Security Central (needs ID card)
      SD  - Self Destruct unit
      SXU - Sealed Xeno Unit (needs Key)
      Notation in header
      (NN Xenos) - Number of Xenos to kill on this level
      (F)        - Space station is on fire
      (PR)       - Space station has a Pestering Robot that shoots

     |=========================  Space Station  1 =========(63 Xenos)========|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |        |        |  MSU   |   RN   |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station  2 =========(56 Xenos)========|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |   E    |        |        |   O    |        |   O    |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |   BM   |        |        |        |

     |=========================  Space Station  3 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |  GD    |  GD    |   E    |  SD    |        |   IS   |        |   O    |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |   E    |  FB    |        |        |        |        |

     |=========================  Space Station  4 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   IS   |        |   E    |   FO   |        |        |   FO   |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |   FO   |        |        |   FO   |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |   IS   |   E    |        |   SD   |        |        |        |

     |===========(PR)==========  Space Station  5 =========(127 Xenos)=======|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   O    |        |   E    |   IS   |   O    |   SC   |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |  SXU   |        |   E    |   IS   |        |   GD   |   GD   |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |   FP   |        |        |
  
     |===========(F)-==========  Space Station  6 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |   F    |   E    | IS,F   |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |   F    |        |   E    | IS,F   | SD,F   |   F    |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station  7 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |   BM   |        |        |        |
     |=========================  Space Station  8 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |        |   FO   |        |        |        |   FO   |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |        |   FO   |        |        |        |   FO   |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |        |   FO   |        |        |        |   FO   |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  5  |   SD   |        |        |   IS   |        |   IS   |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station  9 =========(55 Xenos)========|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |   BM   |        |        |        |

     |=========================  Space Station 10 =========(99 Xenos)========|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   GD   |   GD   |   E    |   SD   |        |   IS   |        |   O    |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |   E    |   FP   |        |        |        |        |

     |=========================  Space Station 11 ========(122 Xenos)========|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   IS   |        |   E    |   FO   |        |        |   FO   |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |   FO   |        |        |   FO   |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |   IS   |   E    |        |   SD   |        |        |        |
  
     |===========(PR)==========  Space Station 12 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   O    |        |   E    |   IS   |        |   SC   |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |  SXU   |        |   E    |   IS   |   GD   |   GD   |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |   E    |        |        |   FB   |        |        |
  
     |===========(F)===========  Space Station 13 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |   F    |   E    |        |   F    |        |   F    |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |   F    |        |   E    |  F,IS  |  F,SD  |   F    |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 14 =========(100 Xenos)=======|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |   O    |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |   BM   |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 15 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |   FO   |        |   FO   |        |        |        |   FO   |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |   FO   |        |   FO   |        |        |        |   FO   |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |   FO   |        |   FO   |        |        |        |   FO   |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |   FO   |   IS   |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  5  |   SD   |        |        |   IS   |        |   IS   |   IS   |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 16 =========(57 Xenos)========|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |        |        |   O    |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |   BM   |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 17 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   GD   |   GD   |   E    |   SD   |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  5  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 18 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   IS   |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  5  |        |        |        |        |   SD   |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 19 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |   O    |        |   E    |        |        |   SC   |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |        |        |        |
  
     |===========(F)===========  Space Station 20 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |   BM   |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 21 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |   E    |   IS   |        |   O    |        |   O    |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |   E    |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  5  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 22 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  5  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
  
     |=========================  Space Station 23 ===========================|
Level|   1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    |
-----+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  1  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  2  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  3  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  4  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
     +========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+
  5  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             ZARLOR MERCENARY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

     ZARLOR MERCENARY / The Game of Life

     ACCESSING LIFE:    The game of LIFE is accessed through the character
selection screen of Zarlor Mercenary.  Turn on your Lynx with the Zarlor
Mercenary game card inserted.  Press the fire button twice to get to the
character selection screen.  At this point you must hold down OPTION 1
while moving the joypad as follows: Up, Down, Left, Right, Up.

     At this point your screen should say LIFE and there will be a LIFEform
known as a 'glider' moving across the screen diagonally.  It will go off
the edge of the screen and return on the bottom, eventually running into
the cells forming the word LIFE and causing the chain reaction that
destroys the title screen.

     Before the title screen is destroyed you may try the following
controls:

1.  Moving the joypad or pressing either OPTION button or PAUSE will stop
   the current evolution of LIFE.

2.  Pressing OPTION 1 to continue the evolution puts LIFE into a mode
   where cells that reach the edge of the screen wrap around to the other
   side.

3.  Pressing OPTION 2 to continue the evolution puts LIFE into a mode
   where cells that reach the edge of the screen behave as though they
   have reached a solid wall.  This may be useful if 'gliders' that are
   launched are disrupting your LIFEforms.

4.  Pressing either BUTTON A or BUTTON B puts LIFE into DRAWING MODE.

     DRAWING MODE:  Access DRAWING MODE by pressing BUTTON A or BUTTON B
while LIFE is evolving or after the current LIFEform has reached a stable
state.  You can tell you are in DRAWING MODE because the joypad will be in
control of your cursor, a set of green crosshairs.  While in DRAWING MODE,
your controls behave as follows:

1.  Moving the joypad with BUTTON A depressed will allow you to draw.

2.  Moving the joypad with BUTTON B depressed will allow you to erase.

3.  Pressing OPTION 1 or OPTION 2 will allow your LIFEform to evolve, as
   described in 2 and 3 in the above ACCESSING LIFE section.

4.  Note that the screen cannot be flipped, but attempting to RESTART the
   game will cause the screen to be cleared, and you will remain in the
   DRAWING MODE.

5.  Pressing PAUSE and BUTTON A will put you in COPY MODE.

6.  Pressing PAUSE and BUTTON B will put you in PASTE/ERASE MODE.

7.  Pressing OPTION 2 and PAUSE will copy your current screen to a
   temporary buffer (see below).

     COPY MODE:  Access COPY MODE by holding down PAUSE and pressing BUTTON
A while in DRAWING MODE.  You can tell you are in COPY MODE because the
green crosshairs will be onscreen with the word COPY in green below and
slightly to the right of the crosshairs.  While in COPY MODE, your controls
behave as follows:

1.  Pressing either OPTION 1 or 2 will return you to drawing mode.

2.  Holding down PAUSE and pressing either OPTION 1 or OPTION 2 will
   evolve your LIFEform frame-by-frame.  Note that the OPTION button used
   determines whether screen wrap is on or off.

3.  Pressing BUTTON A sets one corner coordinate of a box that you can
   draw.  Pressing BUTTON A again sets the other corner coordinate of the
   box.  Anything within the box is now in your COPY BUFFER.  You are now
   in PASTE/ERASE MODE.

4.  Holding down PAUSE and pressing BUTTON A takes you to the LIFEform
   library, a screen full of goodies for you to put into your COPY BUFFER.
   After selecting a LIFEform or group of LIFEforms, you will be in
   PASTE/ERASE MODE.

5.  In the LIFEform library, pressing PAUSE and BUTTON A again takes you
   to your temporary buffer (see above). You can cut items from this
   buffer to the main screen.

6.  Holding down PAUSE and pressing BUTTON B takes you directly to
   PASTE/ERASE MODE, using whatever was last put in your COPY BUFFER. If
   you haven't yet selected anything, you may get garbage.

     PASTE/ERASE MODE:  Access PASTE/ERASE MODE either by holding PAUSE and
pressing BUTTON B while in DRAWING MODE, or by going to COPY MODE and
selecting LIFEforms from your screen or the library screen.  You can tell
you are in PASTE/ERASE MODE because your joypad now controls whatever you
have in your COPY BUFFER.  While in PASTE/ERASE MODE, your controls behave
as follows:

1.  Pressing either OPTION 1 or OPTION 2 will return you to DRAWING MODE.

2.  Pressing BUTTON A will allow you to paste your COPY BUFFER.

3.  Pressing BUTTON B will allow you to erase using your COPY BUFFER.

4.  Holding PAUSE and pressing BUTTON B will flip your COPY BUFFER any one
   of eight possible ways.

5.  Note that the screen cannot be flipped, but attempting to RESTART the
   game will cause the screen to be cleared, and you will remain in the
   PASTE/ERASE MODE.

6.  Pressing PAUSE and BUTTON A will put you in COPY MODE.
DIR