Subject: New York City Beer Guide
From: [email-masked] (Jim Kasprzak)
Date: 3 Jun 94 18:31:40 GMT
Newsgroups: panix.restaurants,nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

Hi there. This is very much a work in progress, but it's one that had
to start somewhere. I moved down to the NYC metro area and realized 
that there must be lots of good beer around here, but I had no idea
where to go to find it. So I asked around on the nyc and panix groups,
and from their reccomendations, have compiled the first edition of...

THE NEW YORK CITY BEER GUIDE

(Note: this list does not even pretend to be complete. It has been
compiled from contributions by New York beer lovers who have Usenet
access -- that's _you_, if you're reading this list. If your 
favorite beer source isn't on this list, send mail to [email-masked]
and tell me about it.)
 
 This list is divided into three parts. The first is _Brewpubs_: 
those pubs which actually brew their own beer on the premises. The 
second is _Drinking Establishments_: a catch-all for any bar, pub,
restaurant or other watering hole which has noteworthy beers 
available by the glass. Finally, there are _Beverage Stores_: 
stores which sell bottled beers to the consumer. 

 What should be on this list? Any place where local brews, microbrews,
or high-quality or hard-to-find imported beers are available. We don't
need a list of every bar and beverage center in the city; that's what
the yellow pages are for. If you have an item for contribution, 
include a description of what makes it noteworthy. Be brief or verbose
as you like, but descriptions will be edited and summarized to keep 
the list at a manageable size.

 That being taken care of, on to the list itself:

 1. BREWPUBS. According to information gathered so far, there are only
three brewpubs in Manhattan. They are:
 
 * Manhattan Brewing Company. 42 Thompson Street, at Thompson and 
Broome. Formerly the Thompson Street Brewery. 
 
 * Zip City Brewery. 3 West 18th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenue.
Makes several different kinds of beers, but not all of them are 
available on any given day. Decent but pricey food menu. Also makes
its own single malt scotch.
 
* West Side Brewery. 75th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. About half a
dozen different brews on tap. Good food and excellent desserts.

2. DRINKING ESTABLISHMENTS. There must be a lot more worth mentioning,
but the ones recommended so far are:

* North Star, at South Street Seaport. A highly praised selection of
British ales.
 
* Jekyll and Hyde. 7th Avenue South, south of Bleecker. Very large
beer selection.

* Peculiar Pub. Bleecker and LaGuardia. Expensive, but one of the 
best for sheer number of beers available.
 
* Chumley's. 86 Bedford Street. About 12 taps, changing fairly often.
 
* The Slaughtered Lamb. 182 West 4th Street, between 6th and 7th Ave.
Pricey, but a broad range of quality beers. Yard glasses for Guinness 
are available (with deposit).

* Burp Castle. 41 East 7th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Ave. A theme 
place: this is a "House of Beer Worship", staffed by "Brewist Monks".
Reasonable prices, excellent selection of Belgian Trappist ales.
 
* Rolf's. 22nd Street and 3rd Avenue. German restaurant with the better 
German imports on tap. Good food prices as well.

* Armstrong's. 57th Street and 10th Avenue. Anchor and other quality 
beers on tap. 
 
* Kinsale. 93rd Street and 3rd Avenue. Many taps and good serving 
technique. Good Irish food and seafood as well.
 
3. BEVERAGE STORES. Although I primarily requested places where you 
can buy beer by the glass, some stores came with reccomendations from
the beer lovers, so they are included here:

* Fancy Grocery. Bleecker and Christopher. Highly reccomended for 
price, selection, and service. Has almost everything and will order
anything not in stock.
 
* Pioneer. 74th and Columbus. Tremendous selection of beers.

* Thrifty Beverage. Court Street in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. Praised 
for selection and prices. 

That's all I have so far, so if you have any additions, I'd love to 
hear about them. Most of what's been mentioned here is in Manhattan,
but if there's anything good in the boroughs, I'll list that as well.
Thanks to the people who contributed to the list so far:

Jared Hecker ([email-masked])
Bennett Todd ([email-masked])
Pierre Jelenc ([email-masked])
Arthur Cinader ([email-masked])
Chris Mauritz ([email-masked])
Ward Stuart Dennis ([email-masked])
Steve Baumgarten ([email-masked])
[email-masked]