Subject: Tryptamine FAQ
From: [email-masked] (Petrus Pennanen)
Date: 24 Mar 1994 16:43:24 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

TRYPTAMINE CARRIERS                                     Last update Mar 1994
===================
by Petrus Pennanen ([email-masked])           
with help from Michael from Melbourne ([email-masked]).

Thanks to many individuals for help in putting this together!
If you know sources of tryptamines that are not mentioned here please mail
me or Michael.

ORALLY AND PARENTERALLY ACTIVE PSYCHOTROPIC TRYPTAMINE DERIVATIVES
Based on McKenna & Towers 1984

	        R4              R1
	        |              /
	  R5  // \       /\   N
	    \//   \ ____/  \ / \
	     |    ||   ||   |   R2
	     |    ||   ||   |
	     \\   /\   /    R3
	      \\ /  \ /
	             N
	             H                                      Dosage  Route
Name of Compound         R1     R2     R3     R4     R5     (mg)    Oral/Par.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
tryptamine               H      H      H      H      H      100 *1  par/oral?
DMT (dimethyltryptamine) CH3    CH3    H      H      H      60      par
DET                      C2H5   C2H5   H      H      H      60      par/oral
DPT                      n-prop n-prop H      H      H      60      par/oral
DAT                      C3H5   C3H5   H      H      H      30      par/oral
DIPT                     i-prop i-prop H      H      H      30      oral
5-MeO-DIPT               i-prop i-prop H      H      OCH3   12      oral
5-MeO-DMT                CH3    CH3    H      H      OCH3   6       par
psilocin                 CH3    CH3    H      OH     H      12 *2   oral
CZ-74                    C2H5   C2H5   H      OH     H      15 *2   oral
serotonin                H      H      H      H      OH     100 *3  oral
bufotenine               CH3    CH3    H      H      OH     16 *4   par
IT-290                   H      H      CH3    H      H      30      oral
4-hydroxy-alfa-methyl-
tryptamine               H      H      CH3    OH     H      20 *3   oral
MP-809                   H      H      CH3    H      CH3    60 *5   oral
5-fluoro-alfa-methyl-
tryptamine               H      H      CH3    H      F      25 *6   oral
5-methoxy-alfa-methyl-
tryptamine               H      H      CH3    H      OCH3   3       oral
4-hydroxy-diisopropyl-
tryptamine               i-prop i-prop H      OH     H      12 *6   oral
4-hydroxy-N-isopropyl,
N-methyl-tryptamine      i-prop CH3    H      OH     H      6 *6    oral
N-t-butyl-tryptamine     H      t-butylH      H      H      ? *7    par?
3-(2-(2,5-dimethyl
pyrrolyl)ethyl)-indole                 H      H      H      ?       ?
5-alfa-DMT               CH3    CH3    CH3    H      H      ?       ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data compiled from Kantor, et al. 1980; Shulgin 1976,1982; Shulgin&Carter 1980
*1 Autonomic symptoms; little central activity.
*2 The phosphate esters are psilocybin and CEY-19, respectively; both are
   stoichiometrically equivalent to the 4-hydroxy isomers.
*3 Cardiovascular and autonomic symptoms; little central activity.
*4 A pressor amine rather than a hallucinogen in man.
*5 An antidepressant rather than a hallucinogen in man.
*6 Based on anonymous reports in the lay press. No clinical studies have been
   published.
*7 No oral activity with doses up to 20 mg, may be parenterally active.

Other potentially psychedelic tryptamines include
6-fluoro-alfa-methyltryptamine, 7-methyltryptamine, 5-methyltryptamine,
5-fluorotryptamine, 6-fluorotryptamine and 5- and 6-fluorotryptophans.

MAO Inhibitors and Tryptamines

Monoamine oxidase (MAO) is the primary inactivation pathway of most
tryptamines. Because of this, inhibitors of the MAO enzyme (MAOIs) can be
used to potentiate the effects of tryptamines and to make DMT and 5-MeO-DMT
orally active.

MAO inhibitors fall into two classes: Irreversible and reversible MAOIs.
Irreversible MAOIs (e.g. the hydrazides iproniazid and phenelzine) bind 
permanently to the enzyme and cause MAO inhibition lasting 1-2 weeks after
ingestion. They are used clinically to treat depression. Reversible MAOIs,
such as moclobemid and the beta-carbolines harmine and harmaline, are 
effective for much shorter time, maybe up to 24 hours. Reversible MAOIs are
not widely used clinically, but recreational drug users around the world
prefer them despite the lack of scientific studies about their effects in
humans.

Natives of Amazon have traditionally combined Banisteriopsis caapi vine,
which contains harmine, harmaline and related beta-carbolines, with DMT-
containing plants to make an orally active brew called ayahuasca. Other 
plants containing harmine and/or harmaline can be substituted for B.
caapi. The usual 'North-American ayahuasca' consists of Peganum harmala 
seeds and Desmanthus illinoensis roots, and in Australian 'acaciahuasca'
leaves of Acacia complanata are combined with material from DMT-containing
acacias (the effectivity of this mixture hasn't been confirmed). MAOIs
have also been used to potentiate the effects of mushrooms containing 
psilocybin. Terence McKenna has mentioned chocolate being a weak MAOI, which 
could be a reason for the popular habit of ingesting mushrooms with cocoa.

Peganum harmala (Syrian rue) seeds are the most concentrated natural source
of harmine and harmaline - about 3% of their weight consists of these
alkaloids. Banisteriopsis caapi has been found to contain from 0.18% to 
1.36% beta-carbolines, with the concentration of harmine being from 0.057%
to 0.635% (McKenna et al. 1984). According to anecdotal reports one gram 
of P. harmala seeds ingested inhibits MAO enough to make DMT orally active.

Harmine and harmaline are hallucinogenic on their own with doses
starting from around 300 mg (Naranjo 1967). They have little emotional
or 'psychedelic' effects, but produce strong visual hallucinations. Because of
this the natives of Amazon often add larger amounts (75-100 cm of stem per
dose) of B. caapi to ayahuasca brew than is needed for MAO inhibition 
(Luna 1984).

There are significant dangers in using MAO inhibitors. MAOIs potentiate 
the cardiovascular effects of tyramine and other monoamines found in
foods. Ingestion of aged cheese, beer, wine, pickled herring, chicken liver,
yeast, large amounts of coffee, citrus fruits, canned figs, broad beans,
chocolate or cream while MAO is inhibited can cause a hypertensive
crisis including a dangerous rise in blood pressure. Effects of
amphetamines, general anaesthetics, sedatives, anti-histamines, alcohol,
potent analgesics and anticholinergic and antidepressant agents are
prolonged and intensified. Overdosage of MAOIs by themselves is also
possible with effects including hyperreflexia and convulsions.

Self-Synthesis of DMT Derivatives

Tryptamine derivatives and beta-Carbolines have been detected as
endogenous metabolites in mammals, including humans. Methyl transferases
that catalyze the synthesis of tryptamines, including DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and
bufotenine, are found in human lung, brain, cerebrospinal fluid, liver
and heart (McKenna & Towers 1984). In the pineal gland MAO is the primary 
inactivation pathway of serotonin, a neurotransmitter synthesized from the 
amino acid tryptophan. If MAO is blocked by harmine, harmaline or other MAO 
inhibitors serotonin can be converted by the methyltransferase enzymes 
HIOMT and INMT into psychedelic tryptamines (serotonin --(HIOMT)--> 
5-MeO-trypt. --(2*INMT)--> 5-MeO-DMT).

So, ingesting l-tryptophan to increase serotonin levels, a candy bar to 
increase the amount of tryptophan getting to your brain and natural
plant material containing 25-50 mg harmine/harmaline to block MAO, all at the
same time, is supposed to cause your pineal gland to synthesize substantial 
amounts of 5-MeO-DMT (Most 1986). This is extremely dangerous for persons 
with existing amine imbalance or schizophrenia. For normal, healthy people 
possible consequences are bad. 

A potent inhibitor of INMT, which is a necessary enzyme for the synthesis
of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT, is found in particularly high concentrations in the
pineal gland. A bypassing or inhibition of the synthesis of this inhibitor
might be responsible for trances and other psychedelic states achieved
"without drugs" (Strassman 1990). See Strassman's article for more info and 
speculation about the pineal gland.

Psychedelic Toads

Bufotenine and related 5-hydroxy-indolethylamines are common constituents
of venoms of the genera Hyla, Leptodactylus, Rana and Bufo. Bufotenine
is not psychedelic in reasonable doses (with larger doses there are
dangerous physiological side effects), but the skin of one species, Bufo
alvarius, contains 50-160 mg 5-MeO-DMT/g of skin (Daly & Witkop 1971).
It's the only Bufo species known to contain a hallucinogenic tryptamine
(McKenna & Towers 1984). Most (1984) gives instructions for collecting
and drying the venom:

  Fresh venom can easily be collected without harm to the toad. Use a flat 
  glass plate or any other smooth, nonporous surface at least 12-inches
  square. Hold the toad in front of the plate, which is fixed in a vertical 
  position. In this manner, the venom can be collected on the glass plate, 
  free of dirt and liquid released when the toad is handled. 
    When you are ready to begin, hold the toad firmly with one hand and, with
  the thumb and forefinger of your other hand, squeeze near the base of the 
  gland until the venom squirts out of the pores and onto the glass plate. Use
  this method to systematically collect the venom from each of the toad's 
  granular glands: those on the forearm, those on the tibia and femur of the 
  hind leg, and, of course, the parotoids on the neck. Each gland can be 
  squeezed a second time for an additional yield of venom if you allow the toad
  a one-hour rest preiod. After this the glands are empty and require four to
  to six weeks for regeneration.
    The venom is viscous and milky-white in color when first squeezed from the 
  glands. It begins to dry within minutes and acquires the color and texture 
  of rubber cement. Scrape the venom from the glass plate, dry it thoroughly,
  and store it in an airtight container until you are ready to smoke it. 
  
Davis and Weil (1992) smoked the venom and described what happened:
 
  In comparison to the pure compounds the toad venom appears longer lasting 
  and, because one does not completely lose contact with reality, far more 
  pleasant, even sensual. Shortly after inhalation I experienced warm flushing
  sensations, a sense of wonder and well-being, strong auditory hallucinations,
  which included an insect-cicada sound that ran across my mind and seemed to 
  link my body to the earth. Though I was indoors, there was a sense of the 
  feel of the earth, the dry desert soil passing through my fingers, the stars
  at midday, the scent of cactus and sage, the feel of dry leaves through hands.
  Strong visual hallucinations in orblike brilliance, diamond patterns that
  undulated across my visual field. The experience was in every sense pleasant,
  with no disturbing physical symptoms, no nausea, perhaps a slight sense of 
  increased heart rate. Warm waves coursed up and down my body. The effects
  lasted only a few minutes but a pleasant afterglow continued for almost an
  hour. (Wade Davis, personal observation, January 12, 1991)
 
  Profound alteration of consciousness within a few seconds of exhaling. I
  relax into a deep, peaceful interior awareness. There is nothing scary about
  the effects and no sense of toxicity. I try to describe my feelings but am
  unable to talk for the first five minutes and then only with some difficulty.
  This is a powerful psychoactive drug, one that I think would appear to most
  people who like the effects of hallucinogens. For the next hour I feel slow
  and velvety, with a slight pressure in my head. No long-lasting effects to
  report. (Andrew T. Weil, personal observation, January 12, 1991)
  
The Fungi

Family: Bolbitiaceae
Genus:  Conocybe
Species: cyanopus
         smithii

C. cyanopus (Benedict et al. 1962) and in C. smithii (Natural Highs FAQ) 
contain psilocybin and psilocin.

Family: Coprinaceae
Genus:  Copelandia
Species: cyanescens

Contains psilocin and psilocybin (Schultes & Hofmann 1979 p. 40).

Genus:  Panaeolus
Species: ater
         campanulatus
         foenisecii
         papilionaceus
         retirugis
         separatus
         sphinctrinus
         subbalteatus

Several Panaeolus species contain psilocin and psilocybin.  For P. ater refer 
to Bresinsky et al. (1990), for P. foenisecii (Robbers et al. 1962), for 
P. papilionaceus (Gurevich et al. 1992), for P. retirugis (Fiussello et al. 
1971/72), for P. separatus (Miller Jr. 1972), for P. sphinctrinus (Schultes 
& Hofmann 1979 p. 52) and for P. subbalteatus (Gurevich 1993).
        
Family: Cortinariaceae
Genus:  Gymnopilus
Species: spectabilis
         purpuratus

Contain psilocin and psilocybin, for G. spectablis refer to Hatfield et al. 
(1978) and for G. purpuratus (Gartz 1991).

Genus:  Inocybe
Species: aeruginascens
         coelestium
         corydalna
         haemacta
         tricolor

These contain psilocin and psilocybin, for P. aeruginascens refer to 
Haeselbarth et al. (1985) and for the others Stijve et al. (1985).

Family: Lepiotaceae
Genus:  Lepiota
Species: peele "Peele's Lepiota"

This recently discovered mushroom is supposed to contain a legal tryptamine,
which produces a trip with less physical symptoms and better ability of 
logical thinking than psilocin or psilocybin. Florida Mycology Research Center
(PO Box 8104 Pensacola Florida 32505) sells spores ($10), cultures ($112)
and information leaflets about L. peele.

Family: Pluteaceae
Genus:  Pluteus
Species: salicinus
         nigroviridis

Both P. salicinus (Saupe 1981) and P. nigroviridis (Christiansen et al. 1984) 
contain psilocin and psilocybin.

Family: Strophariaceae
Genus:  Psilocybe

There are at least 75 mushroom species in this genera that contain psilocin 
and psilocybin (Guzman 1983).

The Plants

Family: Acanthaceae
Genus:  Justicia
Species: pectoralis (var. stenophylla)

Waikas of Orinoco headwaters in Venezuela add dried and pulverized
leaves of this herb to their Virola-snuff. Intensely aromatic smelling 
leaves probably contain tryptamines (Schultes 1977). Plants are available 
from ..Of the jungle (PO Box 1801 sebastopol CA 95473) for $35.

Family: Aizoaceae
Genus:  Delosperma

Contains DMT and N-methyltryptamine (see Smith 1977 for references).

Family:  Alariaceae 
Genus:   Ecklonia
Species: maxima

DMT is found in brown seaweed extract sold as Kelpak (Crouch et al. 1992).

Family: Apocynaceae
Genus:  Prestonia
Species: amazonica?

Contains DMT (Smith 1977).

Family: Cactaceae
Genus:  Echinocereus
Species: triglochidiatus
         salm-dyckianus

These cacti growing in Mexico are known to Tarahumare Indians as peyote or
hikuli and used in their festivals. E. triglochidiatus contains a tryptamine
derivative, possibly 5-MeO-DMT (Bye 1979). E. salm-dyckianus is also supposed 
to contain tryptamines according to Horus Botanicals catalog 1992.

Genus: Trichocereus
Species: terscheckii "Cardon grande"

DMT has been isolated from this species growing in North-Western
Argentina (Schultes & Hofmann 1979 p. 58).

Family: Caesalpininaceae
Genus:  Petalostylis
species: cassiodies

Leaves and stem contain 0.4-0.5% tryptamine, DMT and other alkaloids 
(Johns et al. 1966).

Family: Fabaceae
Genus:  Desmodium
Species: gangetium
         gyrans
         pulchellum
         tiliaefolium
         triflorum

Leaves, root, stem and seeds contain DMT and 0.06% 5-MeO-DMT of wet weight 
(Banerjee & Ghosal 1968).

Genus: Lespedeza
Species: bicolor

Leaves and root contain DMT and 5-MeO-DMT (Smith 1977). Seeds of this hardy 
perennial shrub are available from ..Of the jungle for $5.

Genus:  Mucuna
Species: pruriens

Leaves, stem and fruit of this jungle vine contains DMT and 5-MeO-DMT 
(Smith 1977). Seeds are available from ..Of the jungle for $5.

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus:  Anadenanthera 
species: peregrina
         colubrina

Black beans from these trees are toasted, pulverized and mixed with ashes
or calcined shells to make psychedelic snuff called yopo by Indians in 
Orinoco basin in Colombia, Venezuela and possibly in southern part of 
Brasilian Amazon. Yopo is blown into the nostrils through bamboo tubes
or snuffed by birdbone tubes. The trees grow in open plain areas, and 
leaves, bark and seeds contain DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and related compounds 
(Schultes 1976,1977; Pachter et al. 1959).

Genus:  Acacia
Species: confusa
         jurema
         maidenii
         phlebophylla 
         polycantha subsp. campylacantha
         niopo
         nubica
         senegal
	 others

Dried A. confusa stems contain 0.04% N-methyltryptamine and 0.02% DMT 
(Arthur et al. 1967). The dried leaves of A. phlebophylla contain 0.3% DMT
(Rovelli & Vaughan 1967). The bark of A. maidenii contains 0.6% of 
N-methyltryptamine and DMT in the proportions approx. 2:3 (Fitzgerald
& Sioumis 1965). Smith (1977) and Schultes & Hofmann (1980 pp. 142 and 155)
mention other species.

Seeds of several acacia species are available from ..Of the jungle.

Genus:  Desmanthus
Species: illinoensis "Illinois Bundleflower"

Thompson et al. report that the root bark of this North American perennial
shrub contains 0.34% DMT and 0.11% N-methyltryptamine. The bark accounts
for about a half of the total weight of the roots. The plant should be
resistant to cold and draught and easy to grow. ..Of the Jungle sells D.
illinoensis seeds and dried roots (seed packet $3, 7 grams $10, oz $25; 
roots 4 oz $15, pound $50). Seeds are also available from more main-stream
mail-order houses.

Genus:  Mimosa
Species: tenuiflora (== hostilis) "tepescohuite"
         verrucosa

The roots of M. hostilis, which is not the common houseplant M. pudica 
("sensitive plant"), contain 0.57% DMT and are used by Indians of Pernambuso 
State in Brazil as part of their Yurema cult (Pachter et al. 1959, Schultes 
1977, Meckes-Lozoya et al. 1990). Bark of M. verrucosa also contains DMT 
(Smith 1977).

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus:  Banisteriopsis
Species: rusbyana 
         argentea

Natives of western Amazon add DMT-containing leaves of the vine B. rusbyana
to a drink made from B. caapi, which contains beta-carbolines harmine and
harmaline, to heighten and lengthen the visions (Schultes 1977, Smith 1977).

Family: Myristicaceae
Genus:  Virola
Species: calophylla
	 calophylloidea
 	 rufula
	 sebifera
 	 theiodora

The bark resin of these trees is used to prepare hallucinogenic snuffs
in northwestern Brazil by boiling, drying and pulverizing it. Sometimes
leaves of a Justicia are added. The snuff acts rapidly and violently,
"effects include excitement, numbness of the limbs, twitching of facial
muscles, nausea, hallucinations, and finally a deep sleep; macroscopia is
frequent and enters into Waika beliefs about the spirits resident in the
drug." Snuffs made from V. theiodora bark contain up to 11% 5-MeO-DMT and 
DMT. Also leaves, roots and flowers contain DMT.

Amazonian Colombia natives roll small pellets of boiled resin in a
evaporated filtrate of bark ashes of Gustavia Poeppigiana and ingest
them to bring on a rapid intoxication (Smith 1977, Schultes 1977).

Family: Pandanaceae
Genus:  Pandanus "Screw pine"

DMT has been isolated from Pandanus nuts growing in New Guinea (Barrau 1958, 
1962).

Family: Poaceae
Genus:  Arundo
Species: donax

Leaves, flowers and rhizomes contain DMT, Bufotenine and related compounds
(Ghosal et al. 1972).

Genus: Phalaris
Species: aquatica (tuberosa)
         arundinacea
        
Leaves of P. arundinacea and leaves and seedlings of P. aquatica 
contain DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and related compounds (Smith 1977). P.
arundinacea plants are available from ..Of the jungle for $15.

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus:  Psychotria
Species: viridis (psychotriaefolia)

Psychotria leaves are added to a hallucinogenic drink prepared from
Banisteriopsis caapi and B. rusbyana (which contain beta-carbolines) to
strengthen and lengthen the effects in western Amazon. P. viridis 
contains DMT (Schultes 1977). 5 seeds $10 from ..Of the jungle.

Family: Rutaceae
Genus:  Dictyoloma
Species: incanescens

Bark contains 0.04% 5-MeO-DMT (Pachter et al. 1959).

Genus: Vepris
Species: ampody

Contains DMT (Smith 1977).

References

Arthur, H.R., Loo, S.N. & Lamberton, J.A. 1967. Nb-methylated tryptamines 
  and other constituents of Acacia confusa Merr. of Hong Kong. Aust. J
  Chem. 20, 811.
Banerjee, P.K. & Ghosal, S. 1968. Simple indole bases of Desmodium gangeticum.
  Aust. J Chem. 22, 275.
Barrau, J. 1958. Nouvelles observations au sujet des plantes hallucinogenes 
  d'usage autochtone en Nouvelle-Guinee. J Agric. Trop. Bot. Appl. 5, 377-378.
Barrau, J. 1962. Observations et travaux recents sur les vegetaux 
  hallucinogenes de la Nouvelle-Guinee. J Agric. Trop. Bot. Appl. 9, 245-249.
Benedict, R.G., Brady, L.R., Smith, A.H. & Tyler, V.E. 1962. Occurrence of 
  psilocybin ans psilocin in certain Conocybe and Psilocybe species. Lloydia 
  25, 156-159.
Bresinsky, A. & Besl, H. 1990. A Colour Atlas of Poisonous Fungi. Wolfe 
  Publishing Ltd.
Bye, R.A. 1979. Hallucinogenic plants of the Tarahumara. J Ethnopharmacology
  1, 23-48.
Christiansen, A.L., Rasmussen, K.E. & Hoeiland, K. 1984. Detection of 
  psilocybin and psilocin in Norwegian species of Pluteus and Conocybe. 
  Planta Med 50, 341-343.
Crouch, I.J., Smith M.T., Van Staden J., Lewis, M.J. & Hoad, G.V. 1992. 
  Identification of auxins in a commercial seaweed concentrate. J Plant 
  Physiology 139(5), 590-594.
Daly, J.W. & Witkop, B. 1971. Chemistry and pharmacology of frog venoms.
  In: Venomous animals and their venoms. Vol II. New York: Academic Press.
Davis, W. & Weil, A.T. 1992. Identity of a New World Psychoactive Toad. 
  Ancient Mesoamerica 3 (1992) 5, 51-59.
Fitzgerald, J.S. & Sioumis, A.A. 1965. Alkaloids of Australian
  Leguminosae V. Aust. J Chem. 18, 433.
Fiussello, N. & Ceruti-Scarti, J. 1971/72. Presenza di psilocibina edi 
  5-idrossi-indolderivati in Panaeolus retirugis. Atti Acc. Sci. Torino 
  106, 725-735.
Gartz, J. 1991. Influence of phosphate on fruiting and secondary metabolism 
  of mycelia of Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe semilanceata and Gymnopilus
  purpuratus. Zeitschrift fuer Mykologie 57(1), 149-154.
Ghosal, S., Chaudhuri, R.K., Dutta, S.K., Bhattacharya, S.K. 1972. Occurrence 
  of curaromimetic indoles in the flowers of Arundo donax. Planta Med. 21, 22.
Gurevich, L.S. 1993. Indole derivatives in certain Panaeolus species from East 
  Europe & Siberia. Mycological Research 97(2), 251-254.
Gurevich, L.S. & Astapenko, V.V. 1992. Chromatographic study of some indole
  metabolites in Panaeolus basidiomycetes. Mikologiya I Fitopathologiga 
  26(3), 189-194.
Guzman, G. 1983. The Genus Psilocybe. Beih Nova Hediringia 74, 1-439.
Haeselbarth, G., Michaelis, H. & Salnikow, J. 1985. Nachweis von Psilocybin in 
  Inocybe aeruginescens. Mykol. Mitt. bl. 28(1), 59-62.
Hatfield, G.M., Valdes, L.J. & Smith, A.H. 1978. The occurrence of psilocybin 
  in Gymnopilus species. Lloydia 41, 140-144.
Johns, S.R., Lamberton, J.A. & Sioumis, A.A. 1966. Alkaloids of the 
  Australian Leguminosae VI. Aust. J Chem. 19, 893.
Kantor, R.E., Dudlettes, S.D. & Shulgin, A.T. 1980. 5-Methoxy-alfa-methyl-
  tryptamine (alfa,O-dimethylserotonin), a hallucinogenic homolog of 
  serotonin. Biological Psychiatry Vol 15:349-352.
Luna, L.E. 1984. The Healing Practices of a Peruvian Shaman. J 
  Ethnopharmacology 11, 123-133. 
McKenna, D.J., Towers, G.H.N., & Abbott, F. (1984). Monoamine oxidase
  inhibitors in South American hallucinogenic plants: Tryptamines and
  Beta-carboline constituents of ayahuasca. J Ethnopharmacology, 10, 195-223.
Mckenna, D.J. & Towers, G.H.N. 1984. Biochemistry and Pharmacology of
  Tryptamines and beta-Carbolines: A Minireview. J Psychoactive Drugs 16(4).
Meckes-Lozoya, M., Lozoya, X., Marles, R.J., Soucy-Breau, C., Sen, A. &
  Arnason, J.T. 1990. N,N-dimethyltryptamine alkaloid in Mimosa tenuiflora
  bark (tepescohuite). Arch. Invest. Med. Mex. 21(2) 175-7.
Miller Jr., O.K. 1972. Mushrooms of North America. Dutton & Co., Springfield.
Most, Albert. 1984. Bufo Alvarius: the Psychedelic Toad of the Sonoran Desert.
  Venom Press Box 2863 Denton TX 76202.
Most, Albert. 1986. Eros and the Pineal: the layman's guide to cerebral 
  solitaire. Venom Press, Denton, TX.
Naranjo, C. 1969. Psychotropic Properties of the Harmala Alkaloids. In: Efron
  (Ed.) The Ethnopharmacologic Search for Psychoactive Drugs.
Pachter, I.J, Zacharias, D.E & Ribeir, O. 1959. Indole Alkaloids of Acer
  saccharinum (the Silever Maple), Dictyoloma incanescens, Piptadenia 
  colubrina, and Mimosa hostilis. J Org Chem 24 1285-7.
Robbers, J.E., Tyler, V.E. & Ola'h, G.M. 1969. Additional evidence supporting 
  the occurrence of psilocybin in Panaeolus foenisecii. Lloydia 32, 399-400.
Rovelli, B. & Vaughan, G.N. 1967. Alkaloids of Acacia I. Aust. J Chem.
  20, 1299.
Saupe, S.G. 1981. Occurence of Psilocybin/Psilocin in Pluteus salicinus 
  (Pluteaceae). Mycologia 73, 781-784.
Schultes, R.E. 1976. Indole Alkaloids in Plant Hallucinogens. J of
  Psychedelic Drugs Vol 8 No 1 7-25.
Schultes, R.E. 1977. The Botanical and Chemical Distribution of Hallucinogens.
  J of Psychedelic Drugs Vol 9 No 3 247-263.
Schultes, R.E. & Hofmann, A. 1979. Plants of the Gods. McGraw-Hill.
  Reprint available from Healing Arts Press, Rochester, VT.
Schultes, R.E. & Hofmann, A. 1980. The Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens. 
  Springfield, Ill: Thomas.
Shulgin, A.T. 1976. Psychotomimetic agents. In: Gordon, M. (Ed.)
  Psychopharmacological Agents, Vol IV. New York: Academic Press.
Shulgin, A.T. 1982. Chemistry of Psychotomimetics. In: Hoffmeister, F. &
  Stille, G. (Eds.) Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, Vol 55: 
  Alcohol and Psychotomimetics, Psychotropic Effects of Central-Acting 
  Drugs. New York: Springer-Verlag.
Smith, T.A. 1977. Review: Tryptamine and Related Compounds in Plants.
  Phytochemistry Vol 16 171-175.
Stijve, T., Klan, J. & Kugper, W. 1985. Occurrence of psilocybin and 
  baeocystin in the genus Inocybe. Persoonia 12, 469-472.
Strassman, R.J. 1990. The Pineal Gland: Current Evidence For Its Role In
  Consciousness. In: Lyttle, T. (Ed.) Psychedelic Monographs and Essays
  Vol 5.
Thompson, A.C., Nicollier, G.F. & Pope, D.F 1987. Indolealkylamines of 
  Desmanthus illinoensis and Their Growth Inhibition Activity. J Agric.
  Food Chem. 35 361-365.

-- 
[email-masked] * B who you R