Subject: MJ and Tobacco smoke comparison

From: [email-masked] (Glen Sonnenberg)
Date: 3 Jan 91 03:15:59 GMT

Comparison of gaseous and particulate components of marijuana and tobacco
smoke.

                                                MJ     Tobacco
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gas Phase Analysis
  Carbon Monoxide (Vol %)                       3.99     4.58
                  (mg)                         17.6     20.2

  Carbon Dioxide (Vol %)                        8.27     9.38
                 (mg)                          57.3     65.0

  Ammonia (ug)                                228      178
  HCN (ug)                                    532      498
  Isoprene (ug)                                83      310
  Acetaldehyde (ug)                          1200      980
  Acetone (ug)                                443      578
  Acetonitrile (ug)                            92       85
  Benzene (ug)                                 76       67
  Toluene (ug)                                112      108
  Dimethylnitrosamine (ng)                     75       84
  Methylethylnitrosamine (ng)                  27       30

Particulate Matter Analysis
  Phenol (ug)                                  76.8    138.5
  o-Cresol (ug)                                76.8     24
                                               17.9     24
  m-p-Cresol (ug)                              54.4     65
  2.4- and 2.5- dimethylphenol (ug)             6.8     14.4
  Cannabidiol (ug)                            190        -
  delta-9 THC (ug)                            820        -
  Nicotine (ug)                                 -     2850
  Naphthalene (ng)                           3000     1200
  1-methylnaphthalene                        6100     3650
  2-methylnaphthalene                        3600     1400
  Benzo(a)anthracene (ng)                      75       43
  Benzo(a)pyrene (ng)                          31       22.1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an interesting comparison of the two types of cigarettes.  I don't know
the exact amounts that were tested but they look remarkably similar.  
The information here came from an chapter in _A Primer of Drug Action_.
Another very informative book about MJ is _Drugs and Behavior an Introduction
to Behavioral Pharmacology_.  Both of these books provide an interesting
discussion of the history and effects of MJ.

Anyone else out there with info let me know.
Glen Sonnenberg
[email-masked] [128.196.128.219]
..{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu!glen
Optical Sciences Center, Univ. of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721