Subject: Salvia Divinorum--Smoke, don't chew!
From: Michael Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 16:04:38 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.psychoactives

A friend stumbled across a reference to smoking S. Divinorum in Jonathon
Ott's "Pharmacotheon." Guess what? It works! Having tried to chew the
stuff, which was unsuccessful due to the INTENSE bad taste (and I'm one
who has chugged down a lot of harsh liquids in my entheogenic studies)
I was really surprised at the effects--an immediate, intensely weird buzz
that lasts for about 5 to 10 minutes. It is truly bizarre--I can't come
up with any comparison with any other substance. It is a very powerful,
yet short-acting trip. Definitely beats chewing the stuff, which is
reminescent of chewing dirty poison ivy.
 
Anyone else aware of this intriguing plant? I'd be interested to hear
of others' experiences in the realm of S. Divinorum.
 
Professor Pan

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked] (Kermi)
Newsgroups: alt.psychoactives
Subject: Re: Salvia Divinorum--Smoke, don't chew ! and grow too.
Date: 27 Aug 1994 01:00:06 -0400
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I'll step forward and derve as Gueinea Pig. I'm growing cuttings now but
they are growing very slowly. I've tried outdoors in a pot and in the
shade, and no bushy growth , just longer and stronger stems..  Any idea
about how much plant material is required to smoke in order to get an
effect? 

I've chewed 10 leaves as  a maximum dose and had no effect. Maybe saliva
(not salvia) or stomach acids destroy the psychoactive compounds before
they get to the brain. So smoking may be a better delivery route, it'
doesnt have to go through spit and bile before it hits the
bloodstream.Unless  maybe you have fasted for 2 or 3 days and your system
at that stage will immediately absorb the goodies prior to destruction.

I'm still skeptical though about smoking Ska Pastora , the other post said
that the psychoactives might be all gone  two hours after harvest.. This
does not spell a strong argument for smpking , because if they're gone
that suggests evaporation or oxidation. The same thing that happens when
you burn plants. So , I wonder if the goodies are not liable to burn up in
the bowl before hitting  the lungs. 

Also, two hours  after harvest would not allow  enough time for drying.
How do you smoke green/wet leaves? I guess I could sacrifice  one leave to
find out.

These are difficult plants to grow, So far. Any one have a few tips?

=============================================================================

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.psychoactives
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon,  5 Sep 1994 21:21:52 UTC
Subject: >Salvia Divinorum --smoke, don't chew

Especially if you don't have  a huge plant, you don't need to chew. About
three large leaves and a water pipe has been enough for two people,speaking
from experience. You need to let each other have about six or seven
"inhalations apiece, depending on the leaf size is how many leaves you need.
It lasts about 1-2 hours in different stages.
 By the way, a humidity tent is a must, as well as for more exotic plants
like B. caapi and P. viridis, if you live in a dry climate.

 Twilight/Zonie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to [email-masked].
Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to [email-masked].

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked] (hooten)
Newsgroups: alt.psychoactives
Subject: Re: Salvia Divinorum--Smoke, don't chew ! and grow too.
Date: 31 Aug 1994 21:57:43 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

[quoted text deleted -cak]

Well *I* can tell you that smoking dried leaves *does* work, and the
leaves are supposed to be chewed and kept in your mouth for at least
15 minutes, so the active constituents can absorb their whay through
your cheek and gums into your bloodstream.  There may be something
in your stomach that breaks it down.  It is believed that the
indians would take up to 70 leaves, but this number was not necessary,
just that it took about 15 minutes to eat that many, and hence, have
leaves in your mouth for that long.

I can't confirm the oral route, although it seems pretty clear from
what I have read and conversed with other people.

-- Chris

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked] (pla)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: S. Divinorum (Diviner's Sage)
Date: 28 Oct 1994 14:58:23 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Ayahu ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In Dekorne's fall issue of Entheogen Review someone (RN of WY) describes
: an intense out-of-body experience after "smoking two or three consecutive
: bong hits" of S. Divinorum. He says "it is very potent". As in the case of

well, that's good for him, but in my case i smoked (rather painfully... that
shit burns *hot*!) close to 2 grams with no effects whatsoever...
 
					- pla

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked] (Ayahu)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: S. Divinorum (Diviner's Sage)
Date: 24 Nov 1994 04:30:15 -0500
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

My friend did the same..smoked about a gram with no effects whatsoever..so
what the hell is the scoop on this?

=============================================================================

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.drugs.psychedelics
From: [email-masked] (Pentarexx)
Date: Wed,  9 Nov 1994 00:38:57 UTC
Subject: Re: Salvia Divinorum

[quoted text deleted -cak]

2 live plants purchased from ...OTJ
Dried 5 leaves over a period of 2 days, rolled into a joint and smoked
no result.

Took the rest of the fresh leaves from the plants, (approx. 9 leaves)
rolled into quid, stuffed in mouth. Waited 45 minutes. No chewing, no
swallowing, no results.

: thanks
Anytime

Pentarexx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to [email-masked].
Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to [email-masked].