Subject: Re: Amyl Nitrate?
From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 May 93 13:35:51 +1200
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

Amyl nitrate is a rush. It is used as an antidote for cyanide poisoning.
However the a local handbook on "Hazardous Chemicals in the Laboratory" says
that it should not be administered unless the patient loses conscienceness (so
my spelling is not that good).

Needless to say when used as a recreational drug it can produce quite a
euphoric feeling (but the buzz only lasts for a short time similar to laughing
gas).* 

My experience with amyl nitrate does not include mixing it with sex. But when
taken at the right time can heighten an already happy occasion. I've heard of
sky divers cracking a vial of rush as they throw themselves from the plane (now
that indicates a pretty hard core attitude).

I'm sure that there can be no doubt as to the detrimental effects that such a
powerful drug would have if abused (we used it several times over a couple of
days and I had a head ache for a week).

* Another similarity with laughing gas is that amyl can mix quite well with
THC.

Good Luck but be careful.

============================================================================

From: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: Amyl Nitrate?
Date: 3 May 93 17:39:18 NZST
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

On the subject of Amyl......I've sniffed this on occasion - just out
of a small 'medicine-type' bottle.  It can be bought cheaply from sex
shops, and while I've never tried it during sex, a friend who has says
it's amazing!!  It produces a head rush, a flushed feeling (you tend to
go bright red in the face sometimes - but not always) and a lack of focus
for a minute or so, followed by a 'head shrinking brain hum' (sorry, but
that's the only way I can describe it since it's been a while) then your
back.  Your circulatory system is sped up as well, but not harmfully.  It
is apparently used as part of a treatment for some sort of heart condition
so it can't be too bad for you, but it has a 'solvent sort of feel' due
to the smell - in fact I recall someone saying it _is_ a solvent - and also
due to the type of head rush.  I imagine it kills off a few braincells each
use, but so does living.  I don't enjoy it much, personally, but I know
several people who do.......a nitrous oxide cannister through an empty
cream gun or sodawater thing lasts about the same time and is much more
pleasant IMHO......

Sam

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked] (Elf Sternberg)
Newsgroups: alt.sex,alt.drugs,alt.sex.masturbation
Subject: Re: Poppers Review
Date: 12 Jun 1993 04:20:59 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

In article <[email-masked]>
     [email-masked] (Muttley) writes:

>In article <[email-masked]>,
>     [email-masked] writes:

>>    It seems that vibrators, underwears, lubes, pubic hair color, etc.
>>    have been reviewed in this group. Now anything to say about poppers,
>>    which last longer, price/quality ratio, potential danger of overuse
>>    etc ?

>   Call me naieve, (sp?), call me ditzy, but I have no idea what you're
>talking about.....

   "Poppers" are any of a variety of physiological-effect chemicals.
Typically, they are some sort of n-nitrite compound, where 'n' is any
convenient organic chemical.  The original "poppers" were amyl nitrite,
which came in small glass sphericals you 'popped' and then inhaled the
vapors through your nostrils.

   The common poppers found in sexual circles came in tiny amber
bottles.  Typically, these were sold as 'room deoderizers' or 'incense'
(an absurdity, since they smell like used socks) and came in many
names, such as "Rush," "Jolt," "Locker Room" (an honest name, at any
rate), "Jack Hammer," ect.  They were sold in adult bookstores.

   Poppers are an inhalant, as n-nitrites have very low vapor points
and become airborne almost immediately.  The most common method of
taking them is to simply open the bottle, hold it under one's nose, and
inhale.

   Amyl nitrite was defined as a 'medical use only' drug and its
manufacture and sale made illegal.  The manufacturers switched to butyl
nitrite, then to i-butyl nitrite.  The US finally passed a
comprehensive legislation that, it appeared, covered all forms of
n-nitrite.  However, as of February a version of poppers with the
chemical form of "cyclohexylnitrite" has been available in the United
States.

   The -nitrite portion of the molecule is what affects you, regardless
of what organic molecule it's attached to.  The effects are the same
regardless.  The basic effect is to cause all of the muscles of the
body to relax, which is why poppers were so popular among gay men--
they made anal intercourse easier.  One of the related effects is
vasodilation, or relaxation of blood vessels.  This gives the user a
warm sensation all over the body and causes large amounts of
oxygen-bearing blood to rush through the brain, thus giving the user a
'rush.'  The increase in oxygen also leads to a sudden intensification
of current positive emotions, thus increasing one's lust and lack of
inhibition, encouraging a sense of raw animal sexuality.

   Some users, however, report an intense feeling of 'falling' when
taking the drug, a feeling that everything is spinning around.  Others
report that the body's overcompensation for the vasodilation effect
gives them a massive headache.

   It's funny that, for a drug so associated with sex, poppers dilate
the blood vessels in the penis as well, making erection difficult.

   Poppers are not physically addictive.  The effect lasts for less
than two minutes, typically, just long enough to facilitate penetration
or terminate in ejaculation, and the chemical dissembles in the blood
stream too quickly thereafter to physically addict.  However, some
people find the drug a welcome stimulant and become so dependent on
them that they cannot climax any other way.  (Believe me, I've tried
poppers in the past, and it took a lot of self-discipline and self-
restraint for me to control how "nice" they made orgasm feel.
Personally, though, when I'm with a partner I prefer to have all my
faculties about me, so I avoid anything like poppers, or even beer,
when I'm going to be in bed with someone.)

   People with heart problems should not use poppers, and it's widely
agreed that people with supressed immune systems should avoid them as
well.  All forms of poppers are highly flammable; don't use them if
you're smoking or have candles nearby.  n-nitrites are harmful if
swallowed and burn the skin (and mucous membranes of the nose if you're
not careful).

   In short, this is one of those things I seriously recommend against.
But then, I tend to dislike anything that encourages self-destructive
or otherwise unsafe sex, and during the 'high' a popper gives you, you
may well forget to put a condom on, and you're taking your chances if
you do.

         Elf !!!
--
[email-masked]  (Elf Sternberg)

   "Mr. Sternberg, you should never again attempt to write anything in
the English language.  It is clearly not your native tongue."
    - Thomas W. Button, Jr., third form (ninth grade) English teacher.