Subject: Morphine... extraction circa 1907 !
From: [email-masked] (Peter Jordan)
Date: 15 Sep 1995 01:41:56 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.drugs.misc,alt.drugs.chemistry,sci.chem

BEGIN QUOTE

MORPHINE or MORPHIA C17H19NO3 [ maybe not correct ]

<SKIP>Solubility stuff</SKIP>

	Occurs in opium, being known in an impure state as
_Magisterium opii_ in the seventeenth century, and was first isolated
in 1816 by Serturner (Gilb. Ann. 55, 61 ; 57, 192 ; 59, 50).
Dott (Pr. E. 12, 189) found in a sample of opium that half the morphine
was present as meconate and half as sulphate.  It also occurs in
_Eschscholtzia californica_ (Baudet a. Adrian, C.C. 1889, 197), and
in hops.

[ Hmmm, I wonder about that .. this is OLD stuff. ]

Preperation.--1.  Opium is macerated with water at 38 degrees, the
extract evaporated with CaCO3 to a small bulk, and then mixed with CaCl2.
The liquid is filtered from ppd. calcium meconate, and evaporated.
It first deposits calcium meconate, and afterwards a mixture of the
hydrochlorides of morphine and codeine.  These crystals are dissolved in
water and treated with ammonia, which ppts. morphine, leaving codeine
in solution (Robiquet a. Gregory, A. 5, 87 ; 7, 261).--2. The aqueous extract
of opium is boiled with lime, and the filtrate boiled with NH4Cl,
which ppts. morphine (Mohr, A. 35, 120).

<SKIP>Pages of neato stuff.</SKIP>

	APOMORHINE C17H17NO2. Formed by heating ....

END QUOTE

SOURCE:
H. Forster Morley and M. M. Pattison Muir
Assisted by Eminent Contributors
in four volumes .. Vol. III
_Watts' Dictionary of Chemistry_
(revised and entirely rewritten (in 1888)
Longmans, Green, and Co.
39 Paternoster Row, London
New York and Bombay
	1906

Peter Jordan (I just happened to see it on the shelf on my way out of the lib.)
-- 
http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~pjordan/