Subject: FWD : Analysis of current `extasy'
From: [email-masked] (The RadioDog)
Date: 1 Feb 1994 09:54:42 +1100
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

Forwarded from the Ausrave mailing list

  ______________________________________________________________
  An Analysis of "Hearts", a Tablet Illicitly Sold as "Ecstasy".
  ______________________________________________________________

Introduction:

In recent months, observers have noticed an increase in the availablility
of tablets sold illicitly as "ecstasy", supposedly methylenedioxy
methamphetamine (MDMA), in Sydney. One form which has often been reported
is known as "Hearts", and appears as a white tablet about 0.5cm in 
diameter, with a heart shaped emblem imprinted. A large number of these
tablets were made available close to New Years Eve. Some experienced
users claimed that the effect of the tablets was "smacky", i.e. 
they thought that it contained heroin in addition to MDMA.

Up until a few months ago, in the Netherlands, the MDMA analogue 
N-ethyl methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDE, MDEA, Eve) was legal and
freely available. With the banning of this substance, it would seem
reasonable that the newly illicit stockpiles should have been distributed
around the world. In recent years, quality MDMA has been rare in
Sydney, and sales of adulterated or forged samples have correspondingly 
been rife. However, there have been persistant rumours of recent
"ecstasy" supplies having their origin in the Netherlands, and indeed 
this has been used as a marketing point; people tending to believe
that if it is imported, it is more likely to contain MDMA. All this
suggests a possible link between recent "ecstasy" in supplies Sydney 
and Dutch MDE, so it is of great interest to analyse a sample of the drug.

Experimental:

0.0398g of powdered "heart" tablet was suspended in 20ml H2O. The
supernatant was placed in a separating funnel with 20ml CH2Cl2, and
the residue re-extracted with ca.10ml H2O. To the combined extracts
in the funnel were added 2ml 25% NH3. After shaking, the CH2Cl2 
layer was separated, and a further three CH2Cl2 extracts of 
approximately equal volume were taken. These four extracts were 
combined, and evaporated under vacuum to yield 0.0121g of basic
extract as a pale yellow oil. TLC on silica using butanol/acetic acid/
water (4:1:1) gave a single ninhydrin positive spot (violet, rf 0.55),
indicating the probable presence of only one major component.
The H1 NMR spectrum of the sample was taken, and found to
correspond identically with an authentic sample of pure MDE 
having been worked up in the same manner. There was no evidence
to suggest the presence of MDMA, or other amphetamines.
 
Conclusion:

The tablets known as "hearts" and sold as "ecstasy" have been found
to contain at least 36% N-ethyl methylenedioxy amphetamine (MDE)
(calculated as the hydrochloride salt). No other active substances 
were found. It is quite possible that the sample had its origin in 
the Netherlands. 

___________________________________________________________________

Subjective differences between MDE and MDMA:

While the effects of these two substances are sufficiently similar
to make differentiation difficult, there are some significant subjective
differences. MDE is somewhat less potent than MDMA, a typical dose
being in the range 100-160mg (as opposed to 80-140mg). At large
doses, MDE may resemble MDA (methylenedioxy amphetamine), although its 
psychedelic effects are less; it is a "stoning" intoxicant, and in 
particular can make walking or dancing difficult. Large doses of MDMA 
can have a similar effect, although it seems that somewhat more can be 
used without incurring the almost drunken intoxication. In smaller
amounts, MDE greatly resembles MDMA, although the physical and
tactile effects are generally perceived as being prevalent.
The emotional opening and empathic effects for which MDMA is
famous, although present, do not seem to be as pronounced.
As a substance of abuse at raves, MDE has the possible advantage 
over MDMA that the user is less likely to embarass him/herself
in public through inappropriate empathy. On the other hand,
MDE is more likely to temporarily incapacitate the user at normal
doses.

Jeremy

--
         "Enjoy moderation in moderation"

-----

THE   d88888b    .a888b   d8888b   d8P  .a888b   d8888b   .a888b   .a8888P
     d8P  V8P   d8P"d8P  d8P V8P  d8P  d8P"V8P  d8P V8P  d8P"V8P  d8P" 
    d88888P"   d88888P  d8P d8P  d8P  d8P 88P  d8P d8P  d8P 88P  d8P 88P"
   d8P V8b    d8P d8P  d8P.a8P  d8P  d8P.d8P  d8P.a8P  d8P.d8P  d8P.d8P
  d8P   "8B, d8P d8P  d8888P"  d8P   V888P"  d888P"    V888P"   V888P"

   [email-masked] - University of Wollongong, Australia