Subject: Ketamine trip
From: [email-masked] (John Econopouly)
Date: 22 Nov 93 20:17:01 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

I've heard some talk of Ketamine on this group, and thought a first-person
account might interest some of you.

My drug history: I'm a very experienced pot smoker, have drunk alot of alocohol, tripped on LSD about 10 times, and tried some MDA, mushrooms, coke, opiates, X,
amphetamines.  I'm coming off a 5-month hiatus wherein I've avoided drugs.

I tried to get some info from the net gurus as to what a correct dosage of
Ketamine would be, but never got a response.  So I guesstimated, and took
4 mL of Ketaset (equal to 400mg Ketamine HCl).  I had an empty stomach.  I 
took it orally, pouring it down my throat with a spoon -
I had heard that it tasted awful, which it did, so I avoided my tongue,
and chased it down with an immediate mouthful of orange.  No problem.
In retrospect, this was a good dose for me, I had a great trip.  When I toom it
it was 7pm.

I was surprised, and a bit scared, when I got the first whoosh of effect 
already 15 mins later, at 7:15, and 5 mins after that I was totally gone.  This 
was scary because I had been assuming that like LSD or X or Mushrooms or 
orally ingested cannabis there would be a gradual increase of the effect
over the first couple hours, and I basically wouldn't feel anything for the
first 45 minutes; so I was worried that I had taken way too much, since I
was feeling so much so soon.  What I was feeling at this point: very
disoriented, normal reality had just disappeared, physically dizzy and 
unable to walk without bumping against walls, a bit of paranoia that I was
going to die because I had taken way too much (this never got out of hand),
mixed with periodic flashes wherein my surroundings would hang motionless
and appear really beautiful and I felt totally painless.  I went out on 
the balcony in a t-shirt (very cold yesterday) and the cold felt very distant.
I was a bit irked at this point that my housemates weren't looking out for
me more closely, since although I wasn't about to do it, I felt that jumping
off the balcony wasn't that bad!  (In all fairness to them, they really
didn't know it was affecting me yet, this was only 15 mins after I took it).
And sounds were incredibly amplified - I felt like I was in a machine shop
or factory.  This is what clued in my housemates, when I came in and asked
if they too could hear "that noise", or was it just my buzz.  I was
pretty confused about what was real.  I was too dizzy to stand up, I crashed
out on the living room cushions.  I started to space on the cieling, which was
flowing.  I was cold.  I cautioned my friends that they should keep a close
eye on me because I might die without them noticing  - I couldn't feel if I
was breathing (they were watching me the whole time).  I could hear them talking
but couldn't respond.  I had asked for the newest William Burroughs cd to be put
on, but it was weirding me out, so I asked for some more normal dance music.
Anyway, this period lasted for about an hour, not that pleasant, but probably
not as unpleasant as it sounds, it was interesting to me even at the time.

I started to feel much more in control, I started to feel physically really warm,
I could talk but it was much nicer to just kind of curl up and feel cozy.  I was
basically under the impression that the trip was over already, 1 hour later, I 
felt my thoughts very settled and normal.  I decided to go lie in bed under 
my comforter -- I was still extremely dizzy when I stood up.  It was here that
the real trip started for me.  The next 2-3 hours were totally amazing.  I just
lay completely motionless and very warm under my comforter.  My thoughts were
very clear, and I could basically guide my trip in whatever direction I wanted.
Most of the time I felt like a pure light that could flow like lava and make 
sweet guitar-distortion sounds, I was burning very bright.  I could just "be"
in this state, it felt beautiful.  Other times I would have conscious thoughts,
I would note that I felt godlike, I would love myself, it was great.  When I'd
think of my friends I'd feel very warm, but the couple times I tried explaining
to them how I was feeling (I had to get up and piss quite a few times, was still
dizzy), I felt the words totally inadequate, and I'd lose the feeling.  I
realized that it was best to save the feelings till later, and just enjoy it
myself while it lasted.  Unlike LSD/mushrooms, there was none of the physical 
on-edge feelings, my body felt very warm/snug/relaxed, and I could completely 
ignore it, I felt bodyless.  And the trip was less idea-based and more
feeling-based, sort of like X (except I've never done X by myself, always w/ a 
friend).

This phase ended at around 11, and things started to get much less trippy.
I was in a really excellent mood, but I still felt really dizzy when I stood
up, so I had to lie down continuously.  We went to some friends' party nearby,
I wanted to do some socializing (did it all while lying on the floor).  Walking
around, crossing the street, climbing stairs were very difficult.  Got
progressively more burnt out, felt weaker, never lost the dizzy sensation,
they took me home and I went to sleep at 1:30.  Woke up today at 10, and feel 
good.  Psychologically, I'd say I feel great, I feel alot of warmth towards
everyone around me, and toward myself, a real pleasant afterglow and fondness.
However, I still feel a slight dizziness.  On the whole,
I feel alot less drained than after a good acid trip, again sort of like an X
"day after" psychologically, but with the mild dizziness.

j

---
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Econopouly		| 	To a poor old woman  [-WCWilliams, from memory]
[email-masked]	| munching a plum on 		of them in her hand.
 			| the street a paper bag	They taste good to her.
*** Legalize drugs, suicide, and sodomy.  And bring back the death penalty. ***

=============================================================================

From: Matt Thomas <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: KILLER TRIP!  Special K (Ketamine) *READ THIS*
Date: Thu, 19 May 94 09:49:19 -0500
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

   The following is a first-hand account of the effects of 'Ketamine
Hydrochloride'.  The drug was obtained in liquid injectable form of
100 mg/ml.  It's used for pre-surgical anesthesia.  The street name
for the drug in crystaline form is 'Special K'.  Dosage is a line
about 1" in length and as wide as a paper match, snorted.  Full onset
of drug is in 5-10 minutes.  Total trip: 20-30 minutes with residual
effects lasting up to 1 hour.
   The first effects are a buzzing sound in the ear, increasing in
volume over a period of 2 minutes.  Then a drunken feeling and a quick
numbing of the body.  Shortness of breath occurs and is accompanied by
a slight fear of not being able to catch your breath.  This subsides
and a deep numbing of the body occurs.  A slight increase in heart
rate was also felt.  A few more minutes pass and a giddy, drunken
stupor overwhelms the mind.  Tunnel vision and a feeling of 'being deep
inside your own body' occurs.  Slight visual hallucinations (trails)
are common after 10 minutes.  Major effect is the numbness and drunken
feeling.  No noticeable after-effects or tolerance build-up.  All in
all, a very intersting trip indeed!
   Ok, enough stuffy talk.  I liked it =)  The only part I didn't care
for is the fear of not being able to catch your breath.  It goes away
pretty quick.  I figure it's because of the numbing sensation.  I
heated the liquid ketamine in a spoon over low heat on the stove.  It
quickly turns into powder.  Chop it up finely with a razor blade.  It
takes effect much quicker after the first dose.  I especially liked the
halluciantions!  Complete recovery in around half an hour.  I don't
recomend drinking while on this, or mixing with other drugs.  I
wouldn't drive either.  Me and two friends got fried on this and drove
to get some cigs.  We took a turn too fast and did a 180 and ran into
the hill next to the road.
   You can tell if it's good if it tastes kinda salty and like powdered
aspirin (really bad taste).  Burns for a few seconds when snorted too.
It's a white powder in pure form, could be cut with anything but I had
the 100% pure shit!
   If you've ever used 'Special K' and got similar or maybe completely
different effects, then either e-mail me or reply this message with your
'Special K' trip.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I believe in a long, prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the
unknown" - Jim Morrison
 
[email-masked]

=============================================================================

Newsgroups: alt.drugs
From: [email-masked] (Peter McDermott)
Subject: Re: KILLER TRIP!  Special K (Ketamine) *READ THIS*
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 1994 18:00:19 GMT

Account of the intravenous injection of Ketamine:

Dosage was uncertain. The Ketamine came as tablets that were being
passed off as Ecstasy. Half a tablet was used. It dissolved completely,
leaving no residue.

Before the syringe was removed from the vein, reality as we normally
experience it had crumbled into a different form. It was as though the
world broke up, revealing another dimension. The subject was there, and
not there at the same time - there was no apparent boundary between the
subject and object - the world and I became one. 

I remained rooted at the spot for what seemed like an eternity. When
I *did* try to move (not for some time - the experience was too intense to
contemplate moving) it seemed as though the whole of my body was a
mechanical entity, connected by hydraulics, pulleys and gear systems.

Just moving an arm seemed to transform the whole universe. As the drug began
to wear off, the subject felt like some sort of android - like Robocop.
The K wore off in a kind of reverse rush. As the universe initially
disintegrated when the drug was injected, so a reverse re-integration
occurred as the drug wore off. The whole experience lasted some 20 - 30
minutes.

Although it was certainly an extreme experience, it was fundamentally
unsatisfying. No real insight into the world, or even the experience were
gained, and there was insufficient euphoria to make the experience seem
worth repeating for pleasure. Interesting, but of little lasting value.

--peter 

+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------
| "What, me worry?"		   |			[email-masked]
|  Alfred E. Neumann