Subject: News from Amsterdam?

From: [email-masked] (marsthom)
Date: 18 May 91 07:49:23 GMT

I've been contemplating a trip to Nederlands for a while, and
decided to pick up some canned information. The only travel book
I found that wasn't completely obsessed with hotels and old
buildings was _THE REAL GUIDE: AMSTERDAM_  which I ran across in
a Crown Books franchise near Los Angeles.  They also carry the
_Routledge Dutch Dictionary_ in paperback. I've also found
copies of Dutch newspapers at some of the more fanatically
massive newstands in the area.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Relevant excerpts from:
 
 _THE REAL GUIDE - AMSTERDAM (The Guide for the '90s)_
 
by Martin Dunford and Jack Holland, published by Prentice Hall Travel.
 
-------------------------------------
POLICE TROUBLE - AND A NOTE ON DRUGS
 
You're unlikely to come into much contact with Amsterdam's
police force (Politie), a long-haired, easy-going bunch driving
miniature patrol cars. Few walk a beat, and in any case
Amsterdam is one of the safest cities in Europe.  Bar-room
brawls are highly unusual, muggings uncommon, and street crime
much less conspicuous than it is in many other capitals.
 
Nonetheless, it's always a worth taking precautions against
petty crime: secure your gear in a locker when staying in a
dorm; never leave any valuables in a tent; and if you've brought
a car, remove the tape deck and park in a well-lit, public place
if you can't find a parking lot. As far as personal safety goes,
it's possible to walk anywhere in the city center at any time of
day or night - though women might get tirred of being hassled if
they walk through the red-light areas alone; see p. 16 for more
on women and sexual harassment.
 
If you're unlucky enough to have something stolen, you'll need
to report it to a police station and get them to write a
statement for your insurance company (in the unlikely event that
your policy cover such incidents; see 'Health and Insurance'
section above).
 
The police emergency number in Amsterdam is 22-22-22.
 
-----
DRUGS
 
Some residents claim that the liberal municipal attitude toward
the sale of drugs has attracted all sorts of undesirables to the
city. This is partly true, but the "cleaning up" of the Zeedijk,
once Amsterdam's heroin-dealing quarter, seems to have made open
trafficking less frequent and the city a safer place.
 
Amsterdam has sanctioned the sale of cannabis at the Melkweg and
Paradiso nightspots, and at many coffee shops, since the 1960's.
It's also acceptible to smoke in some bars, but since many are
strongly against it, don't make any automatic assumptions. If in
doubt, ask the barperson. Purchasing, transporting, or consuming
cannabis products elsewhere is inadvisable.  Although busts are
rare, legally you're allowed to possess only 28 grams for
personal use. Bear in mind, also, that while there's a lively
and growing trade in cocaine and herion, possession of either
could mean a stay in one of The Netherland's lively and growing
prisons. For drug-related problems, the Drug Advice Center,
Keisergracht 812 (Mon.-Fri. 1:00-3:00pm; phone: 23-78-65),
offers help and advice.
 
-------------------------
COFFEE SHOPS AND TEA ROOMS
 
As with bars, there are two types of Amsterdam coffee shops:
those whose principal business is the buying, selling, and
consuming of dope, and the more traditional places that sell
neither dope nor alcohol but do serve sandwiches or a light menu
for lower prices than you'd pay in a full-fledged restaurant;
some offer pastries or chocolates.
 
The so-called "smoking" coffee shops are easy to identify:
brightly lit, with starkly modern furniture and an accent on
healthy food, they're about as far from the cozy Dutch 'brown
cafe' as it's possible to get. Smoking dope is the primary
pastime (all sell a range of hash and grass), and most also have
video (loud) music, and a selection of games from baccarat to
pool; they're open roughly from late morning/midday until around
midnight. They are currently booming, and the major Amsterdam
chains - The Bulldog, Prix d'Ami, Fancy Free - seem to be
opening new branches all the time: they may be identified by a
cannabis-leaf sign and a slogan claiming that they serve the
best quality goods on the Amsterdam dope scene. For real dope
heads there's the Hash Info Museum (p93) which survives despite
crackdowns. For more on dope see p.12.
 
---------
"SMOKING"
 
Basjoe, Kloveniersburgal 62. Dark and convivial coffee shop.
 
Biba, Hazanstraat 15. In a street of coffee shops, this is one
 of the best.  
 
Bon Ami, Brouwersgracht 137. Very loud music.
 
The Bulldog, Leidseplein 13-17; O.Z. Voorburgwal 90; O.Z.
 Voorburgwal 132 Helkveld 7. The biggest and most famous of the
 coffee-shop chains, this has come a long way from its pokey Red
 Light district-dive origins. With a main branch housed in the
 former police station on glitzy Leidseplein (the "Palace"), the
 Bulldog has now reached the height of - and commerical success.
 The dope they sell comes in neat little brand-labeled packets
 and the Leidsplein branch has a large cocktail bar, coffee shop,
 juice bar, souvenir shop, and a GVB ticket counter.
 
Extase, Oude Hoogstraat 2. Part of a chain run by the initiator
 of the Hash Info Museum. Considerably less chichi than the big cheeses.
 
Fairy Nuff, 2e Laurierdwarstraat 1b. Small and quiet,
 with a low-key atmosphere.
 
Fancy Free, Martelaarsgracht 4;
 Haarlemmerstraat 64; Leliegracht 6. Slick plush, and commerical,
 very much in The Bulldog mold.
 
Goa, Kloveniersburgwal 42. A member of the Extase chain (see above)
 
Grand Prix, Reguliersdwarsstraat 29. Once part of the Prix d'Ami outfit,
 and little changed since.  Grasshopper, N.Z. Voorburgwal 59. One of
 the city's more welcoming "smoking" coffee shops, though at
 times overwhelmed by tourists.
 
Haussmann, Singel 485; Zieseniskade 2. White, modernistic coffee
 shop with more than a hint of soulessness
 
Pie in the Sky, 2e Laurierdwarsstraat 64.  Beautiful
 canal-corner setting, great for outside summer lodging
 
Prix d'Ami, Haringpakkersteeg 3; Nieuwendijk 239.
 Super-entrepreneurial Amsterdam chain, but with little of the
 character of its rivals.
 
Roma, O.Z.  Achterburgwal 162. Red Light district smoker, par of
 the Extase/Goa concern.
 
Rusland, Rusland 16. One of the first Amsterdam coffee shops,
 and a cramped and vibrant place that's a favorite with both dope
 fans and tea addicts (43 different kinds). A little worse for
 the recent extension, but still a cut above the rest.
 
Siberie, Brouwersgracht 11. Set up by the former staff of
 Rusland and notable for the way it has avoided the
 over-commercialization of the large chains. Very relaxed, very
 friendly, and worth a visit whether you want to smoke or not.
 
So Fine, Prinsengracht 30.  Long-established, coffee shop, big
 on atmosphere at night with good food and music. a pool table,
 and a video room.
 
-------------------------------