Subject: Hemp Aircraft Proposed
From: Robert G Halvorson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1993 19:54:52 GMT
Newsgroups: misc.activism.progressive

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 17:20 GMT
From: "Gerald X. Diamond" <[email-masked]>
To: "Wayne Smith, Gerri Dawson, Kevin Keyes etc" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Suggestion for dissemination over INTERNET to your list of NORML

Gerald X. Diamond         535 13th Av.E.No.106            Seattle WA 98102
Tel:206-324-3523            MCI-Mail 328-1350             July 13, 1993
 
                      Seattle Entrepreneur Seeks:
                      --------------------------
            FUNDING FOR HEMP AIRCRAFT CONSTRUCTION PROJECT
            ===============================================
Ted Pong of Seattle has offered to build an airplane from cannabis fiber 
and to fly it himself at public events such as air shows.  This will 
demonstrate graphically the usefulness and strength of hemp fiber.  The 
engine will be fueled by alcohol derived from hemp stalks.
 
The idea is not original.  Fifty years ago, Howard Hughes launched the 
widespread commercial use of plywood when he built his "Spruce Goose", a 
remarkably airworthy 8-engined airplane.  During World War II, the Japanese 
"Zero" fighter did the same: it was built largely of bamboo and high-
strength natural fabric.  The lightweight plane easily outmaneuvered many 
heavier, faster all-metal aircraft.
 
Pong estimates that a high-performance airplane can be built mainly from 
resin-bonded hemp fiber board and structural members for under $100,000.  
He is seeking comments from the hemp community on this proposal.  
 
Interested?  Please reply to: Gerald X. Diamond at MCI-Mail 328-1350, 
or by snailmail to the address above.