Subject: GABA, gamma amino butyric acid
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Ettinger)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 05:43:17 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

I read about GABA in _Prescription for Nutritional Healing_, an excellent
info source on amino acids and herbs.  Very plainly written.  I recommend
it highly.  There's a section on Smart drugs, for those so inclined 
 
GABA has been prescribed as a non-addictive alternative to Valium and
such, in combination with Inositol and B-3.  Being strung about 20% too
high, I figured I'd give it a try.  First thing I obeserved?  It's costly
in the dosages recommended by the book.  I found a place to order the
GABA, inositol, and B-3 seperately, reducing daily dosage cost to about
$2.   No way I'm packing capsules, so I just pop 2 GABA (900 mil), 2 B-3
(1 gram), and about 2 ts of inositol (2 grams or so)  The numbers seem
large, but the book recommends this twice a day. 
 
Results:  Plenty of chill.  I seem less annoyed by shit.  I sleep like a
log, and (?!) remember my dreams.  A book on Lucid Dreaming should be an
interesting experiment to run concurrently.  Combined wiht Pot?  I dunno,
I smoke infrequently.  Alcohol seems slightly magnified. 
 
A buddy of mine takes a lesser dosage of GABA in combination with a
medium dose of antioxidants, per the same book, as a Smart drug.  He
reports quicker on-your-feet thinking.  'Course, his story is as anecdotal
as mine.  
 
A posting here regarding addictive properties and long-range probs with
this regimen netted only one reply, by a guy who sounded reasonable, but
called himself a generalist and said he was not a pharmacist or chemist. 
He thought GABA might have some addictive qualities because (I'm fuzzy on
the exact wording) a chemical similarity to Xanax, the prescription tranq.

Any comments or suggestions?  If you experiment with this regimen, post
back to me on your experiences, willya?  I'm way curious.  Thanks!
					-Andy
					[email-masked]