Subject: Re: What is "Dowam Meskh" ?
From: [email-masked] (Steve Gardner)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1993 17:57:55 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Richard Newsome) writes:
>In a 19th Century book I found a reference to an Egyptian drug called 
>"Dowam Meskh", which the author says he tried in Paris in the 1850's.
>Can anyone identify this? 
	An arab confection containing mostly Hashish.  Theophile Gautier 
	mentions it in "Le Club des Hachichins".  By the way, a number
	of Gautier's works are available in english, I recommend them
	highly.  The folks who regularly read this group would like
	his works, Gauthier was rather fond of recreational pharmaceuticals
	it seems. ;-)

>The author says that the compound is prepared in Cairo, and that he took
>18 grains. In describing his experience he says it "perfectly illuminated me"
>and to write him for more information if desired.  
	Can't get it in Cairo without risk anymore. . . try Amsterdam
	the coffee houses should be able to set you up for illumination. ;-)
	But remember as ol' Theo would have said: "Ceci vous sera defalque 
	sur votre portion de paradis".

							smg