Subject: Re: Info on methcathinone
From: [email-masked] (Marc Anderson)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 22:24:40 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

[some text deleted -cak]

medline only has two entries for 'methcathinone', both of which follow:

- -marc
[email-masked]

- ---------- cut here ---------

AU  - Glennon RA
AU  - Yousif M
AU  - Naiman N
AU  - Kalix P
TI  - Methcathinone: a new and potent amphetamine-like agent.
AB  - The purpose of the present investigation was to examine the effect of
      N-monomethylation of phenylisopropylamine derivatives on amphetamine-
      like activity. In tests of stimulus generalization using rats trained
      to discriminate 1.0 mg/kg of (+)-amphetamine from saline, the N-
      monomethyl derivatives of 1-(X-phenyl)-2-aminopropane, where X = 2,4-
      dimethoxy (2,4-DMA), 3,4-dimethoxy (3,4-DMA), 2,4,5-trimethoxy
      (2,4,5,-TMA), and 2-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxy (MMDA-2), did not
      produce amphetamine-appropriate responding at the doses evaluated.
      However, the N-monomethyl derivative of cathinone (i.e.,
      methcathinone), like cathinone, resulted in stimulus generalization.
      Further studies with this agent revealed that (a) in the amphetamine-
      trained animals, methcathinone (ED50 = 0.37 mg/kg) is more potent
      than racemic cathinone or racemic amphetamine (ED50 = 0.71 mg/kg in
      both cases), (b) methcathinone is capable of inducing release of
      radioactivity from [3H]dopamine-prelabeled tissue of rat caudate
      nucleus in a manner similar to that observed with cathinone,
      amphetamine, and methamphetamine, and (c) methcathinone is more
      potent than cathinone as a locomotor stimulant in mice as determined
      by their effect on spontaneous activity. The results of the present
      study provide evidence for a structural analogy between the
      prototypic psychostimulants amphetamine/methamphetamine and
      cathinone/methcathinone, and lend further support to the concept that
      amphetamine and cathinone correspond in their pharmacological
      effects.
SO  - Pharmacol Biochem Behav 1987 Mar;26(3):547-51
DP  - 1987 Mar
TA  - Pharmacol Biochem Behav
PG  - 547-51
IP  - 3
VI  - 26
IS  - 0091-3057
UI  - 87204443

AU  - Goldstone MS
TI  - 'Cat': methcathinone--a new drug of abuse [letter]
AB  - [No Abstract Available]
SO  - JAMA 1993 May 19;269(19):2508
DP  - 1993 May 19
TA  - JAMA
PG  - 2508
IP  - 19
VI  - 269
IS  - 0098-7484
UI  - 93253905

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked] (Eli Brandt)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Re: Homemade cat
Date: 10 Jun 1994 03:51:55 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

In article <[email-masked]>, Mud Phud <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I found it to be much, much weaker than meth.  The onset is slightly 
>slower (nasal route), there is no euphoria/rush, the high is like a
>buzz with some of the heightened concentration and detail perception 
>ability, and the effects don't last as long as meth.  I had no trouble
>sleeping at night, unlike with a meth high.
>
>My question to the expert chemists in the group is why this might 
>be so.  The cat refs on hmc seem to indicate that methcathinone and 
>methamphetamine should have equivalent or nearly equivalent effects.

Maybe not.  I have some notes comparing cathinone (the active principle
of qat) with amphetamine.  Rosecran et al. found that cathinone lacked
DA agonist activity, and showed less disruption of behavior in animal
studies.  This is in Harris (ed.), _Problems of drug dependence_, NIDA,
Monograph #27.  I don't know whether this generalizes to methcathinone.

   Eli   [email-masked]
         finger for PGP key.
The above text is worth 
precisely its weight in gold.