Subject: Re: Calamus Root.
From: [email-masked] (Donald the Curmudgeon)
Date: 18 Jan 94 15:21:42 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.drugs

I once ate about 4 inches of fresh calamus root.

It's a stimulant.  It's a pretty good stimulant, in fact.  I didn't notice
any hallucinogenic effects, but perhaps I needed a larger quantity.

In any case, it's one of the foulest tasting drugs I've ever consumed.

--
***************************************************************************
***Donald Athelstan Ball Jr.                    Department of Psychology***
[email-masked]                      University of North Carolina***
***(919)962-4001                              Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3270***

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Calamus Root.
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 94 13:57:56 GMT

I have been experimenting with calamus root, bought already cut to quarter
smartie size and dried.

I've tried making tea from it to no avail.  Yesterday i gubbed half an ounce of
the stuff.  Nothing happened again.

Allegedly, 10 inces of the root works to provide hallucinagenic effects....

Can anyone provide some info???

Herbie.

=============================================================================

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Richardson)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Calamus=Vomit, vomit, vomit.
Date: 14 May 1994 20:03:08 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I just wanted to warn everyone about this particular herb.  I visited an
herb store last night, and recognized the name "Calamus" on the shelf from
the Legal Highs text.  So, being the rash and inept fool that I am, I
bought it, took it home and imbibed it as per the 20th Century Alchemist's
directions.  Bad move.
 
I drank this *horribly* bitter brew at around 10 o'clock, and experienced
little (if any) of the anticipated effects.  However, to my chagrin, at
around 3, I felt ill.  And I barfed, barfed, barfed, and for a change of
pace, I vomited.  I had my girlfriend call the Poison Control Center to
make sure that I wasn't going to die.  We found that Calamus' effects,
instead of euphoric, are a stomach irritant.  So, I spent most of the night
cradled around the Porcelain God.
Lesson 1:  reaffirmed "don't believe everything you read"
Lesson 2:  always check out what you buy, and make SURE that it's gonna do
what it is supposed to.
Lesson 3:  if you're gonna poke around the psychotropic section of the Herb
store, and try stuff, call Poison Control first to see if you should expect
bad results.
Lesson 4:  there are other, much mellower substances to partake of than
Calamus.
(not to mention tastier)
Jeremy