Subject: Re: ISDN in Japan and USA

From: [email-masked] (Kenji Fujisawa) (by way of Mitchell Kapor <[email-masked]>)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1991 15:36:54 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
(Jim Haynes) says:

> He remarked that in Japan one can just call the telephone company
> and ask to have your home service converted to ISDN and it will be
> done the next day, no charge for the conversion and no extra charge
> for ISDN service.

It's overstated.  The time for instllation varies between one week to
six months depending on the area, the availability of the digital
exchanges.  And you have to pay an instllation fee of about $100 -
$150.  Futermore, the monthly charge becomes twice of the analog
telephone: ie, about $35.

Kenji Fujisawa    [email-masked]

[we are working on getting the mail headers to be more precise. - MK]

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Rheingold) (by way of Mitchell Kapor <[email-masked]>)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1991 11:25:32 -0500

For Kenji Fujisawa ([email-masked]) via Mitchell Kapor:

What do people get for their ISDN connection in Japan? What services
are offered? What kind of people use them?