Subject: Re: transfering files from PC or Mac to GS
From: Rubywand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 13:33:54 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

Advanced Integration Designs Aust. writes ...
> 
> i was wondering if someone has got this to work
> i was looking at ftp.apple.asimov.net and found some old apple 2
> *.dsk disc images..how are they supposed to be made back onto 5.25"
> disk?
> i have adt running on the apple 2gs and on the mac and ibm..
> doesnt seem to work..i have terminal programs on both though and i
> can transfer *.shk files between them without problems..
> any help would be appreciated..

     The best way to transfer files from PC or Mac is via a NULL modem
connection. You have a telecom terminal program, like Spectrum, running
on the GS and a telecom terminal program, like Hyperterm, running on the
PC. You set baud rate the same on each, connect a modem cable from each
to a NULL modem connector, and send your .DSK (or .SHK, etc.) files via
Z-modem from the PC to the GS.

     Once on the GS, you can convert .DSK files to diskette using
DSK2FILE or ASIMOV. (Make sure the 5.25" diskettes you use are
formatted.)

Note: Most of the files you download from Asimov will be .DSK files
which have been compressed to .gz files. (The file name will end with
".gz".)  You can uncompress .gz-compressed .DSK files on your PC using
WinZip to obtain genuine .DSK image files. 

     If you do not have a telecom program on your GS, then, ADT could be
useful as a 'getting started' step-- i.e. you could use it to transfer a
disk image of a telecom utilities disk from PC to Apple II.

     Assuming the downloaded copy of ADT is okay, the big problem is
likely to be getting PC to send the ADT DMP file to your Apple without
inserting characters. For example, using Hyperterm on the PC you would
want to make sure that, in the ASCII Settings, "Send line enders" is not
checked.

     A check that the transfer went well is to go to the monitor and
look at the beginning and end of the file:

0803:4C 0E 08 05 00
0808:01 05 01 00 00 00 D8 20
....
1208:60 01 00 01 EF D8 00 00
1210:00 00 00 00 00 00 00

If the beginning looks okay but the stuff at $1208-$1216 is different--
like, the 60 01 00 01 EF D8 ... ends up at $1268 ...--, then, your PC
telecom program is likely to be sending extra characters.

     For sure, the ADT directions are not as clear as they could be.
Getting ADT going may take some experimentation.

     In case you are interested in 'getting started' alternatives to ADT
for transferring Apple2 programs and/or disk image files, below are some
excerpts from the new Csa2 FAQs: 

From the Csa2 FAQs on Ground file F002T1TCOM.TXT at

ftp://ground.isca.uiowa.edu/2/apple2/Faqs
http://ground.isca.uiowa.edu/2/apple2/Faqs

>>

From: Dave Althoff

002- How do I get an Applesoft program into a PC-DOS computer
     in text format? Both computers have modems, but I have no
     terminal program for the Apple.

Make sure that your serial ports are connected together, and run the
comm program on your PC. Now, for our purposes, lets assume you have the
serial card in Slot #2.

Force the PC into terminal mode.

Make sure the ][ is displaying a *40-column* screen.

Now, try typing "IN#2" on the ][.  Type something on the PC.  It should
appear on the Apple.  (Cool, ain't it?!)

In fact, try typing "PR#2".  On either computer.  Now, you should get an
Applesoft prompt on your terminal screen!  In fact, you can use the PC
comm program as a keyboard for your ][!

All right, at this point, you should have data flying back and forth
between the two machines.  On the ][, type "POKE 33,33".

Now, on the PC, tell your comm program to start a text capture.  Tell it
to add line feeds after carriage returns.

On the ][, load the BASIC program, and type LIST.  The program listing
will appear on the Apple screen and be dumped into the PC comm program's
capture buffer.

To break communications, type "IN#0" and "PR#0" on the ][.

----------------

From: Jeff Blakeney

The only things I might add is that you have to make sure that the PC
and II's baud rates are the same.  Preferably 19200 if you want a speedy
transfer.

Second thing is that once you have typed IN#2 and PR#2 (or 1 if the
serial port is in slot 1) is that everything should be typed using the
PC keyboard.  This is because anything you type on the II after those
two commands will NOT appear on the II's screen.  It is much easier to
type it on the PC as everything you type and would normally be displayed
on the II will be displayed by the PC's terminal program.

I have actually used this method to transfer BASIC programs from my PC
to my II with 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity at 19200 bps. It sure
makes things easier.

---------------

From: Dave Althoff

Actually, if you are working in 40-columns at least, when you do IN#2,
the console input is redirected through the SSC.  Fortunately, the SSC
is kind enough to include keyboard reads in its data input loop, so IN#2
does not disable your keyboard.  Likewise, so long as you are looking at
the 40-column screen, PR#2 redirects the output hook to the SSC, but the
SSC does writes back to the screen.  So you don't lose your monitor
either!

______________________

From:  Bill Mackin

003- Is there a way to transfer Apple II disks between a an Apple II
     and a PC?

     Sure. Yesterday I downloaded ap2222pc.zip.  It was written by some
guy in Hong Kong.  You buy a 25-pin male parallel port connector and two
8-pin DIP sockets from Radio Shack.  He gives the wiring diagram for
connecting 9 wires between them.  You type in a 6502 assembly program on
your apple at address 300. Save the program, shut things off, hook up
the wire from your PC printer port to the Apple Game Controller socket,
turn them on, and run his programs.

     It copies whole Apple disk images over to the PC, or PC to Apple,
or individual files back and forth!  It works great!  I've already made
26 disk images from my old Apple disks (great for backup, too!) and have
been  playing the games from them, moving games around, etc.

     I only had one problem with the ap2222pc program; the first time I
ran it, my PC was already in Windows and I had printed something to a HP
LaserJet IV from it; when I turned the Apple on after hooking up the
cable, the Apple locked up, giving me several different hi-res graphics
screens in series, no beep, and no cursor.  The problem went away when I
turned the Apple on first, then the PC.

<<

     Again, the main idea is to get some decent telecom program to your
GS. Once you do, you will be able to use NULL modem transfers and
everything will be much easier.

> also..is it possible to format a 3.5" disk to dos3.3?
> i found a site with a utility amdos and amlauncher or something..
> apparantly you can format a 3.5" disk to dos 3.3
> and the launcher lets you launch dos 3.3 programs with in gs/os..
> 
> anyone heard of this?
>

     Yes. AMDOS works pretty much as advertised. When booted from a 3.5"
diskette, you get two large "DOS 3.3" volumes which are accessed as
separate drives.

     The catch is that quite a few DOS programs make assumptions about
disk format and, so, will not run correctly. There do not seem to be any
good utilities for working with AMDOS; so, transferring, renaming, etc.
files is a chore.

     I do not know anything about "amlauncher". There are a few schemes
for, one way or the other, running DOS 3.3 programs from the Finder. So
far, the best idea seems to be to either convert DOS 3.3 wares for
ProDOS where possible OR boot any DOS 3.3 stuff you want to run from DOS
3.3 diskette. 

Rubywand