Subject: Ansteorran Rapier rules
From: Ioseph of Locksley
To: All

ANSTEORRAN RAPIER COMBAT RULES
                     as of June 1, 1987 CE
   transcribed by Ioseph of Locksley, OL, OP &c, on 5 October 1988.
   some editing of format has been done, but verbiage remains same.

I-Rules of the Field  *******************************************************

A- There shall be at least three Marshals on the field for tournament or melee 
   combat, and at least one marshal for any other combat.

B- The marshals must receive a verbal acknowledgement of readiness from all 
   fighters before combat begins, or continues after a hold.

C- When a hold is called, all fighting shall immediately cease on the field.
   Fighters should assume a non-agressive stance and not move unless directed
   by a marshal.

D-Hold shall be called whenever a marshal or fighter considers conditions or 
  possible hazards warrant the call. Such conditions or hazards include, but 
  are not limited to:

        1- The fighter is disarmed, stumbles or falls
        2- a weapon or other equipment breaks or fails
        3- a fighter is unsure of a blow and wishes to discuss it
        4- a violation of the rules

E- If a piece of equipment is found to be inadequate or unsafe, it may not be 
   used until it has been repaired or replaced to the marshal's satisfaction.

F- A marshal shall, as necessary, warn or remove from the field any fighter 
   whose conduct is deemed unsafe. Any fighter who has been warned three times
   per tournament must be removed from the field.

G- Examples of such unsafe conduct include but are not limited to:

        1- grasping or trapping against the body any bladed weapon or buckler
        2- striking with excessive force, or striking from behind
        3- consistent ignoring of blows
        4- deliberate misuse of the rules to gain an advantage over an 
           opponent (such as dropping a weapon whenever pressed, etc.)

H- Any fighter who has been removed from the field for unsafe conduct shall 
   forfeit that tournament, and may not fight in future tournaments until 
   readmitted by a Marshal's Court or Quarter Court, as necessary.

I- At the end of each bout, the marshals shall ask each fighter if he is 
   satisfied with the bout. Any fighter who leaves the field thereby declares 
   himself satisfied with that bout.

J- There shall be not combat between fighters using tournament/war weapons and 
   fighter using rapier combat weapons.

II-Rules of Combat ***********************************************************

A- The entire body is a legal target area.

B- Fighters are considered to be fighting in a shirt and hose, or a skirt, and 
   no thrust or draw cut may be discounted because of the actual clothing worn 
   by the fighter.

C- A valid blow is any thrust of sufficient pressure to produce a two inch 
   bend in a Number 5 French foil, or any draw cut using at least ten inches
   of the blade. (Note that a two inch bend requires only about a half inch of 
   forward compression.)

D- A "kill" is any valid thrust to the head, neck or torso; or any valid draw 
   cut to any art of the neck, brachial artery (inside of the arm between the 
   shoulder and elbow), femoral artery (inside of the leg between the groin 
   and the knee), or abdomen (between ribs and hips). Bear in mind that a 
   "kill" need not be instantly fatal. Any blow that would injure a fighter to 
   the extent that he would be at the mercy of his opponent should be 
   considered a "kill."

E- A disabling wound is one valid thrust or draw cut to any limb. If, however,
   the valid blow is only to a hand, then the fighter may still use that arm
   for parrying.

F- Fighters should realize that the blunt, flexible foil blades we use are 
   more likely to glance off the body than the sharp, stiff rapier blades they
   represent. Wounds and cumulative damage should be counted accordingly.

G- A fighter is considered armed as long as he retains one offensive weapon.

H- A disarmed fighter will be allowed to recover at least one weapon. If he 
   drops two at once, he will be allowed to recover the closer one.

I- Brawling tactics or deliberate misuse of weapons is unsafe and will not be 
   allowed. Examples include but are not limited to:

        1- Grappling or striking the opponent with one's body
        2- Whipping or chopping with the rapier, cloak or buckler
        3- Throwing the cloak over the opponent's face to blind him
        4- Striking with any part of a weapon not designed for such use.

III-Protection ***************************************************************

A- Impenetrable Material: shall be defined as four layers of trigger cloth, 
   four-ounce leather, or a tested and approved substitute. The standard test 
   which impenetrable material must pass is the ability to withstand four hard
   thrusts from a broken foil blade when the material is laid on a penetrable
   surface.

B- Resistant Material: shall be defined as sturdy cloth that resists tearing 
   under normal combat stresses. Unacceptable materials include: cotton gauze,
   nylon tights, or stockings, or other thin cloth.

C- There shall be no exposed skin on the fighter's body. Minimum acceptable 
   coverage is resistant material; stronger as specified below.

D- The face shall be covered by a fencing mask. A twelve-kilo mask is strongly
   reccomended. The mask must be fastened seculrely so that it will not come 
   off in a fight.

E- The rest of the head shall be covered by impenetrable material.

F- The entire neck shall be covered by impenetrable material. To decrease 
   problems, it is strongly recommended that the neck protection either be
   part of the head protection (i.e. a hood) or part of the torso protection
   (i.e. a high collar) rather than a separate piece. There should be at least
   three inches of overlap between any separate pieces of head, neck and torso 
   protection.

G- The torso shall be covered by impenetrable material. This includes chest, 
   back, abdomen, and sides up to and including the armpits.

H- Male fighters must wear rigid, impenetrable groin protection. An athletic 
   cup with the holes covered by impenetrable material is recommended. Padding
   or impenetrable groin protection is reccomended for female fighters.

I- Arms shall be covered by resistant material. The hands shall be covered by
   leather gloves with cuffs that overlap any sleeve openings by at least five
   inches.

J- Legs shall be covered by resistant material. The feet shall be covered by
   closed-toe shoes or boots. There must not be any exposed skin at the ankles
   or lower legs regardless of the fighter's stance.

K- Additional protection such as breast-cups, high-topped leather boots, etc.,
   may be worn if it does not interfere with blow-calling.

L- Any protection or article of clothing that prevents a fighter from properly
   calling a blow will not be allowed.

IV-Weapon Specifications *****************************************************

A- Rapier

        1- A #5 French foil is the standard rapier. Any other type of blade 
           must be approved by all parties involved before use. This includes
           epees, fiberglass blades, practice electric blades, etc. Sabers may
           not be used.

        2- While foils are the standard rapier, epees are allowed. To insure
           that blows are called consistently, all fighters are required to
           be well-practiced with foil.

        3- Rapier tips must be covered with a plastic or rubber tip, or an
           acceptable substitute. The tip must be securely taped or glued in
           place.

        4- Metal rapier blades shall have a single gradual curve. Any blade 
           with cracks, kinks, or multiple curves shall not be allowed.

        5- Epee bells are recommended; foil or sabre bells may be used. Any
           bell with openings large enough to admit a rapier point may not
           be used unless the openings are covered with impenetrable material.

        6- Rapier quillons shall be no longer than twelve inches. The ends 
           shall be blunted to prevent injury. Quillons designed to trap or
           break blades are prohibited because they work.

        7- Pistol grips are not period and they will not be allowed.

B- Daggers

        1- Daggers shall not be longer than twenty inches or heavier than one
           and one-half pounds.

        2- Dagger tips shall be at least two inches in diameter, and shall 
           provide progressively resistant "give" under pressure without 
           allowing contact with the rigid tip of the weapon.

        3- Dagger blades shall be made of rattan or an accepted substitute.
           Accepted substitutes currently are: CPVC pipe (with the ends 
           capped), foam, and plastic golf tubes.

        4- Metal bladed daggers are not allowed.

        5- Quillons shall be no longer than twelve inches. The ends shall be
           blunt and padded to prevent injury. Quillons designed to trap or
           break blades are prohibited.

        6- Guards or bells with openings large enough to admit a rapier point
           may not be used unless the openings are covered with impenetrable
           material.

C- Bucklers

        1- Bucklers should be made of lightweight materials. Quarter-inch 
           plywood is recommended. the edges shall be covered to prevent 
           splintering.

        2- Maximum size in any dimension is eighteen inches.

        3- Bucklers designed to trap or break blades are prohibited.

        4- Offensive bucklers are considered non-standard and must be approved 
           by the Rapier Marshal, or the Crown. They may be used only with the
           consent of all parties involved.

D- Cloaks

        1- Size, shape and weight are left to the discretion of the fighter, 
           as long as it is recognizably a cloak and not a whip or flail.

        2- Flexible hem weights such as rope or rolled cloth may be used.
           Rigid materials such as metal weights or chains may not be used.

E- Improvised Weapons

        1- Improvised weapons, such as mugs, bottles, fish etc. may be used
           upon the approval of an authorized marshal and with the consent of
           all parties involved. Their use is not recommended for formal 
           tournaments.

        2- Soft materials such as cloth, foam and tape are recommended for
           construction of these weapons.

F- It is the responsibility of each fighter to determine what weapons his 
   opponent is using, and to resolve any questions about them before combat.

(signed): ROWAN BEATRICE VON KAMPFER Regina Ansteorra
          SIR HECTOR PHILIP MARTEL Rex Ansteorra
          TIVAR MOONDRAGON Rapier Marshal

                    * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Note: These Rules would NOT be considered usable within the Kingdom of 
      Atenveldt. Our style of combat differs appreciably, to a degree that
      these Rules would NOT be safe.

---
 * Origin: <Deus ex Machina-BBS Free Atenveldt! 602-439-8070>  (Opus 1:114/29)