Subject: Re: Both sides of Opseu strike showdown were wrong but OPP was violent!!!

From: [email-masked] (John Angus)
Date: 22 Mar 1996 14:16:14 GMT

Kent Fines ([email-masked]) writes:
> Lets be fair about this! The strikers were incorrect for
> barracading the legistlature but they were at least 
> non-violent.

Depends on how you define things. Certainly when you block
a door you're doing so by force. You are forceably preventing
people from going past. That implies a level of violence.

 They were spitting at the OPP but it should be
> noted that the police were threatening them with horrible
> violence! The OPP were saying things like, "we're going
> to beat you with our sticks" etc.

The riot squad was 35 members strong. Now you tell me how they're
going to move aside hundreds of beefy steelworkers and autoworkers
by smiling and saying please.

 The police however, started
> the violence and hurt some people very badly.

Not actually true. Nobody was hurt badly.

 An inspector
> for the Metro Police was quoted as saying that he couldn't
> believe the actions of the riot squad!!! There is absolutely

Personally I couldn't believe the non actions of the Toronto
police during the last riot in that city. I think their response
while people were looting their way across town was to hide in
the basement of their station houses and hope it all went away.

I think, given the level of vitriol directed at the toronto
police by the Toronto's socialist mayor, leftist city council
and hoardes of special interest groups most TO cops cringe
at the mere thought of being rude to anyone.

JA

--
"Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness"    [email-masked]
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"Peace, Order, & Good Government"              [email-masked]