Subject: Re: Restaurant tipping

From: [email-masked] (Steve Biggs)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 18:16:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Steve Ruelle <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Gordon Mulcaster ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: What is the conection between taxi drivers and waiters?
>: Why don't we tip McDonalds employees?
>
>Good point.  Everyone who works in the service industry is in the same 
>boat.  We work our asses off, deal with rude customers, put in long 
>hours, and get minimum wage as our return.  Although convention plays a 
>large role in tipping restaurants for service, other service oriented 
>establishments lose out on the tips namely Mcdonalds, 7-11, gas stations, 
>and convenience stores.  Although I personally don't work at McD's, I've 
>observed all the shit the employees put up with while I was waiting for my 
>food and it would be nice if these people could get a little bit extra 
>for all the work they do.

What about the people who work behind the scenes?  I used to work in
a kitchen (long time ago) and took a lot of shit from these "poor,
pitiable" waiters and waitresses.  In the year and a half I worked there,
I saw a tip once because someone had the sense to realize that the watiers
and waitresses are not the only ones who work for minimum wage in
tough conditions.

Now, I don't agree with tipping.  In fact, I am of the thinking
that tipping is only for exceptional service, no for acceptable service.
I'm just trying to make the point that when it comes to tipping, we really
discriminates.  There are a lot of jobs out there that we don't tip for,
yet the person doing that job deserves a tip just as much as a
waiter or waitress (if not more).  It's ridiculous to expect us to tip
everyone, don't yo uthink?
-- 
 Steven Biggs						[email-masked]
 University of Toronto				     [email-masked]
 IBM Canada Ltd					    [email-masked]
        ** Check out the all new http://cdf.utoronto.ca/~g4gortex **

---

From: Gordon Mulcaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 14:47:40 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, sysmatt writes:

> Have you ever made between 4.20 and 5.85 an hour for pumpiung gas, or
> serving donuts or anything like that?

Yes I have. And I never got or expected tips.

> remember the minimum wage in ontario is now what 7.00, and i think
> for a server it is around 4.85

Explain to me why their wage is any of my concern? 
--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it."[email-masked] (1992)
        [email-masked]