Subject: Re: Quebec seperation + Bouchard leg amputation
From: [email-masked] (Evan Leibovitch)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 19:12:04 GMT
Newsgroups: can.politics

In article <[email-masked]>,

>Jacques Parizeau said and will say again (probably Tuesday) that even if
>Quebec separates, Quebecers could keep their canadian citizenship. I won't
>decide the terms of an eventual separation, but I guess Parizeau will, at
>least in part. Don't you think?

I think you are making a dangerous assumption, based on a deception.

Just as people outside Quebec have no right to determine Quebec's path,
neither does Quebec have the ability to determine Canada's choice in
case Quebec declares sovereignty.

The most Pariseau can say is that *he'll try* to negotiate terms of
separation which will afford Quebecois dual citizenship. That is
VERY FAR from guaranteeing that this would happen. It is *totally*
Canada's (or Canada Hors Quebec, if you wish) decision to whom it
will grant citizenship status to. It is not unreasonable to suggest that
Canada may require Quebecois in a sovereign state to choose their loyalty.

Under Pariseau's scheme, would I (a Quebec-born anglophone living in
Ontario) also be able to claim dual citizenship? I don't suppose they
mention *that* side of it... :-)

What is truly amazing in the sovereigntist future is that even after
separation, Quebec will be able to pick and choose those parts of
association with Canada that it wishes. I believe this strategy to
be dishonest, since it assumes that Canada will allow this without
compensation of some kind.

While I don't believe that a separation would be violent, don't for
a moment believe that Canada's short-term attitude would be at all
friendly or accomodating towards Quebec.

>And what do you mean by "the fact is that the majority of Canadians will
>decide the terms of Quebec separation."?

It means that there are two sides to a story. Quebec cannot demand
unilaterally that a Canada-sans-Quebec recognize people born in Quebec
to be Canadian citizens. This is a negotiating point, as are many other
matters of separation such as trade and fiscal policy; they cannot be
decided alone by either side.

-- 
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd., located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       Novell Unix Master Reseller / [email-masked] / (905) 452-0504
               Are vegetarians allowed to eat animal crackers?

Xref: utcsri can.politics:60713
Newsgroups: can.politics
Path: utcsri!utnut!torn!uunet.ca!uunet.ca!scilink!telly!evan
From: [email-masked] (Evan Leibovitch)
Subject: Re: Bouchard is a traitor to QUEBEC!!!
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Organization: Sound Software Ltd., Brampton, Ontario
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:00:30 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
	Derepentigny Yves <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>politicans... BUT.. it would be a blantant lie to say that all of quebec 
>>suports his wrongful/traitors cause.

>Minute! O.K., c'est vrai que ce n'est pas tout le monde qui supporte sa 
>cause, mais de la a dire que sa cause n'est pas juste et que c'est de la 
>traitrise, il y a une marge.

You have in front of you at least one Quebecois who suggests this to be
the case, so you can't say the opinion doesn't exists. Or, you can be
like others and suggest that he's not a true Quebecois 'cause he doesn't
have enough sang pure laine for you. (the same case as is built to deny
that Trudeau is Quebecois).

>then we became 
>>part of a Unified country....

>Ah oui! Tres unifie! On voit bien ca de nos jours...

"unification" takes many forms. It may take the form of the jingoistic,
patriotic flag waving that Quebecois or Americans enjoy so much, or it
can be the boring common-cause issues which, despite their blandness, do
more to tie Canadians together than they believe.

>>It is NOT the desire of the majority of quebecer's to seperate from canada....
>>and Bouchard is using some of the worst strong arm tatics i have ever seen....
>>but his course is traitorus to both canada, and quebec.. we all know why he is
>>a traitor to canada.. but let me remind you of why he is a traitor to quebec..

>Bouchard n'est pas un traitre, et il n'utilise pas de tactiques "de bras 
>de fer".  Si la separation a lieu, elle se fera de facon democratique.  
>Bouchard n'a pas usurpe son mandat.

But to get there, he is using IMO undemocratic means. By not calling the
referendum *date* now, Parizeau gets around fairness requirements of the
Referendum Act; for instance, the current draft bill does not require
that the 'no' side get as much funding as the 'yes'. The 'campaign
before the campaign' has no fairness requirements; I have no belief
that Parizeau will act in fairness to both sides, since he's clearly an
advocate of one side.

> and to seperate what many of our ansestors strived for in the true name of
>>their people from canada just because canada refuses to give into the special
>>status wining that bouchard is dishing out is  traitorus to the fathers of our
>>coutry....

>Demande a Riel, aux Franco-Manitobains, aux Fransaskois, aux 
>Franco-Ontariens, etc. si le beau pays pour lequel ils se sont battus les 
>a bien traites.

Yes, let's ask. How many language police exist to require the use of
English in Canada? How many provinces have been taken to task by the UN
for their opressive language laws? How many province's cultural and
language laws have violated their own charters of rights?

>La loi 
>101, la loi 178, c'est de la petite biere, c'est une joke lorsqu'on 
>compare ca avec ce que les francophones hors-Quebec ont vecu.

Yes, compare it. In what jurisdiction in Canada where minority schools
exist, are (at least some) parents prohibited from sending their children
there?

Only Quebec? Mai oui!

-- 
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd., located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       Novell Unix Master Reseller / [email-masked] / (905) 452-0504
               Are vegetarians allowed to eat animal crackers?

Xref: utcsri can.politics:61749
Newsgroups: can.politics
Path: utcsri!utnut!torn!uunet.ca!uunet.ca!scilink!telly!evan
From: [email-masked] (Evan Leibovitch)
Subject: Re: Qbc/Can Human rights violations (Was: Bouchard is a traitor ...)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Organization: Sound Software Ltd., Brampton, Ontario
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 03:59:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, U.Laval <None> wrote:

>> WRONG! Quebec legislation prevents more than 10 percent of the children of
>> English mother tongue in the province from attending English schools!!!!!

>Selon le dernier rapport du Comissaire aux Langues officielles, pres de 50
>pour cent des franco-Ontariens n'avaient pas acces a une ecole francaise.
>50 percent...not a typo... 50 percent!!!!!!! 

"a une ecole francaise". Does that include French education given by the
area's school board, or do francophones insist on total duplication of
services?

>> French families in Quebec are also denied access to English schools in
>> Quebec. This is a violation of their rights as defined by the United Nations.

>Si la moitie des Franco-Ontariens n'ont pas acces a une ecole francaise,
>j'imageine ce que ce doit etre pour les anglophones. If half of the
>francophones in Ontario can't go to a french school, I can imagine how
>many anglophones can't. This is a violation of their rights, too.

In areas of French concentration in Ontario, the schools are there.

In areas of English concentration in Quebec, the schools are there. But
even when they're there, not every anglos can use them!

>> WRONG! Francophone families in every province in ROC can use article
>> 23(1)(a) of the Canadian charter to get access to French schools. English
>> families in Quebec can not use article 23(1)(a) because it is not
>> applicable in Quebec (because of article 59 in the Constitution).
 
>This time you're really wrong, my friend.  Okay, they have access. But
>access to what? What the f**k is the advantage to have access to a school
>when there's no school? About the half of the francophones in Ontario
>don't have access to a french school. Why? Not because they don't have the
>right, but because THERE'S NO F****N' SCHOOL.

And what, pray tell, happens when they ask for one?

Has a challenge by francophone parents under 23(1)(a) ever been denied?

>You speak of laws, I speak of rights. Even if there's no laws such as the
>bills 101 and 178 in the ROC. But that doesn't mean the francophones have
>access to french schools. You don't need a law to limit school access when
>there's no scholl. Where are you from anyway?

It's partially an issue of numbers. Nobody expects an English school in,
say, Longueil, if there are few or no anglo families. Ditto with CHQ
communities with small franco populations. What's at issue, is that even
when the schools *do* exist, parents who want to send their kids there
can't!

How many francophone parents are refused entry of their kids into an
*existing* francophone school programme because they're not 'French' enough?

>Sign your messages. We won't burn your house.

Oh yes? Last time he *did* sign his messages, someone tried to burn his job!

Called his *employer* and complained. I believe 'Bulldog' kept his job but
lost his Usenet account at work, merely for expressing an opinion.

While nobody's reaching for the Bic yet, that attempt to silence Steve
(which was condemned by even the nationalist speakers here) was one of
the low points in the history of these discussions.

Would you like to use this as an example of tolerance? Would you not be
a little shy if someone did this to you?

-- 
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd., located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       Novell Unix Master Reseller / [email-masked] / (905) 452-0504
               Are vegetarians allowed to eat animal crackers?

Xref: utcsri can.politics:65159
Path: utcsri!utnut!torn!uunet.ca!uunet.ca!bobby-sands!usenet
From: [email-masked] (Robert Keith Elias)
Newsgroups: can.politics
Subject: Draft Bill on the Sovereignty of Quebec
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 17:23:05 -0500
Organization: Acces Public LLC
Lines: 452
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: biko.llc.org

 Dear World;

 The following is a copy of the official english version of the
 "Draft Bill on the Sovereignty of Quebec" that was sent (in
 french) to every household in Quebec.  I am posting it here for
 information purposes only.  My apologies if someone else has
 already posted it.

 The following is hand typed (hopefully without error).  I have
 altered nothing and left nothing out.  Double lines "===..."
 indicate a page separation.  There are several blank pages
 before the back page.

 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> THE BEGINNING <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
 =======================================================================
                            _____________

                              DRAFT BILL
                            _____________

                                ON THE
                            _____________

                             SOVEREIGNTY
                            _____________

                                  OF
                            _____________

                                QUEBEC
                            _____________

                  A message from the Prime Minister

              Version francaise disponible sur demande.

                            1-800-363-3043

 =======================================================================

 Dear Fellow Quebecer:

 As you are undoubtedly aware, I recently tabled a draft bill in the
 National Assembly on the sovereignty of Quebec, which I committed
 myself to distribute to every Quebec household. Enclosed you will
 find your own personal copy of this proposed legislation.

 I emphasize that this is your personal copy because the initiative
 of creating a country is not the exclusive concern of the
 government. Indeed, it must be the concern of each and every citizen
 of Quebec, of the Quebec nation as a whole.  That is why we will be
 calling on you to carefully study, assess, or modify this draft
 legislation as you see fit as part of a major exercise in democratic
 participation.

 In conjunction with this exercise, next February, within all regions
 of Quebec - throughout all our local communities, towns and cities -
 specially formed commissions will be busy gathering your thoughts
 and expectations about this draft legislation.

 As you will notice, there is a blank page in the document you have
 just received.  It is the preamble which has intentionally been left
 unwritten.  This preamble will eventually become the Declaration of
 Sovereignty of Quebec.  It must describe who we are as a people and
 who we wish to become.  As such, it must be a vivid reflection of
 our values and our hopes, our traditions and our ambitions.  This
 blank page calls out to all of us.  We must devise it together,
 participate and contribute the best of ourselves.

 For the very first time in our history, each and every Quebecer has
 the opportunity to become his or her own legislative representative,
 directly influence the future and personally help write the history
 of Quebec.

 I invite you to take full advantage of this tremendous opportunity,
 and wish you and yours all the best for the holiday season and the
 New Year to come.

 Sincerely,

 Jacques PARIZEAU
 Prime Minister

 =======================================================================
 _______________________________________________________________________

                       NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
 _______________________________________________________________________

 FIRST SESSION                                  THIRTY-FIFTH LEGISLATURE

                             Draft Bill

                             An Act respecting the sovereignty of Quebec
                             ___________________________________________

                             Tabled by
                             Mr. Jacques Parizeau
                             Prime Minister
                             ___________________________________________
                                       Quebec Official Publisher
                                                 1994

 =======================================================================
                                    2

                            EXPLANATORY NOTES

    This draft bill sets out the political course of action put
 forward by the Government of Quebec to settle definitively the
 constitutional problem that has been confronting Quebec for several
 generations.  It also defines the process proposed to achieve this
 purpose.

                               THE PROJECT

    It is proposed that Quebec become a sovereign country through the
 democratic process.  The accession of full sovereignty has been
 defined by the National Assembly as "the accession of Quebec to a
 position of exclusive jurisdiction, through its democratic
 institutions, to make laws and levy taxes in its territory and to
 act on the international scene for the making of agreements and
 treaties of any kind with other independent States and participating
 in various international organizations".1

    An economic association with Canada would be maintained in order
 to preserve and further develop the free circulation of goods and
 services, of capital and of persons that is currently prevailing.
 To the same end, Quebec would continue to adhere to the North
 American Free Trade Agreement and the General Agreement on Tariffs
 and Trade.  The Canadian dollar would continue to be the legal
 currency of Quebec.

    A new constitution would be drafted following a procedure to be
 defined by the National Assembly.  This new constitution would
 include a charter of human rights and freedoms and provide
 guarantees, in a manner consistent with Quebec's territorial
 integrity, to the English-speaking community and to the Aboriginal
 nations.  It would also provide for the decentralization of specific
 powers to local and regional authorities, together with sufficient
 resources.

 ______________
 1 Act respecting the process for determining the political and
   constitutional future of Quebec (S.Q., 1991, c. 34).
 =======================================================================
                                3

 Provisions are made as to the territory of a sovereign Quebec,
 Quebec citizenship and the continuity of treaties, international
 alliances and laws.  In this respect, the Government of Quebec would
 be authorized to take over, from the Government of Canada, all
 services and transfer payments currently provided to Quebec citizens
 by the Canadian government.

 Several other transitional measures are provided for, including the
 conclusion of an agreement on the apportionment of the property and
 debts of Canada.

                           THE PROCESS

    After undergoing an information and participation process, the
 draft bill will become a bill which, once passed by the National
 Assembly, will be submitted to the people of Quebec in a referendum.

    During this process, the citizens of Quebec will be invited to
 collectively formulate a "Declaration of Sovereignty" to constitute
 the preamble to the bill.  The Declaration will set forth the
 fundamental values and main objectives of a sovereign Quebec nation.
 It will guide the drafting of the future Quebec constitution and may
 serve as inspiration for the endeavours of the people of Quebec and
 their representatives in the decades to come.

    The process the Government of Quebec intends to initiate will
 consist of the following:

    1- publication of the draft bill;

    2- a period of information and participation for the purposes of
 improving the bill and drafting the "Declaration of Sovereignty"
 which will form the preamble to the bill;

    3- discussion of the bill respecting the sovereignty of Quebec,
 and passage by the National Assembly;

    4- approval of the Act by the population in a referendum;

    5- a period of discussion with Canada on the transitional
 measures to be set in place, particularly as regards the
 apportionment of property and debts; during this period the new
 Quebec constitution will be drafted;

    6- the accession of Quebec to sovereignty.

 =======================================================================
                                4

                              Draft Bill

             An Act respecting the sovereignty of Quebec

                               PREAMBLE

 +----------------------------------------------------------------------+
 |                                                                      |
 |                    DECLARATION OF SOVEREIGNTY                        |
 |                                                                      |
 |                           (To follow)                                |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 |                                                                      |
 +----------------------------------------------------------------------+

 The Declaration of Sovereignty will be drafted on the basis of the
 suggestions made during the information and participation process to
 be held on the draft bill.

 It will set forth the fundamental values an main objectives the
 Quebec nation wishes to make its own once it has acquired the
 exclusive power to make all its laws, collect all its taxes and
 conclude all its treaties.

 =======================================================================
                                  5

             THE PARLIAMENT OF QUEBEC ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:

                             SOVEREIGNTY

    1. Quebec is a sovereign country.

                         ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION

    2. The Government is authorized to conclude, with the Government
 of Canada, an agreement the purpose of which is to maintain an
 economic association between Quebec and Canada.

    Such an agreement must be approved by the National Assembly
 before being ratified.

                           NEW CONSTITUTION

    3. The Government shall, in accordance with the procedure
 determined by the National Assembly, see to the drafting of a
 constitution for Quebec and to its adoption.

    The constitution shall include a charter of human rights and
 freedoms.  It shall guarantee the English-speaking community that
 its identity and institutions will be preserved.  It shall also
 recognize the right of Aboriginal nations to self-government on
 lands over which they have full ownership.  Such guarantee and such
 recognition shall be exercised in a manner consistent with the
 territorial integrity of Quebec.

    The constitution will provide for the decentralization of
 specific powers to local and regional authorities together with
 sufficient fiscal and financial resources for their exercise.

                              TERRITORY

    4. Quebec shall retain the boundaries it has within the Canadian
 Confederation at the time section 1 comes into force.  It shall
 exercise its jurisdiction over the maritime areas and the
 territories adjoining its coastline in accordance with the terms and
 conditions provided by the rules of international law.

 =======================================================================
                                  6

                             CITIZENSHIP

    5. Every person who holds Canadian citizenship and is domiciled
 in Quebec at the time section 1 comes into force is a Quebec citizen.

    Every person who, after the coming into force of section1, is
 born in Quebec or is born outside Quebec to a father or mother
 holding Quebec citizenship is also a Quebec citizen.

    Quebec citizenship may also be acquired in the manner determined
 by the National Assembly.

    Quebec citizenship may be held concurrently with citizenship of
 Canada or of any other country.

                               CURRENCY

    6. The legal currency of Quebec shall continue to be the Canadian
 dollar.

                               TREATIES

    7. Quebec shall assume the obligations and enjoy the rights
 arising out of the treaties to which Canada is a party and the
 international conventions to which Canada is a signatory, in
 accordance with the rules of international law.

                       INTERNATIONAL ALLIANCES

    8. The Government is authorized to apply for the admission of
 Quebec as a member of the United Nations Organization and other
 international bodies.

    9. Quebec shall take the necessary steps to remain a member of
 the Commonwealth, the French-speaking community, the North Atlantic
 Treaty Organization, the North American Aerospace Defence Command,
 the North American Free Trade Agreement and the General Agreement on
 Tariffs and Trade.

 =======================================================================
                                  7

                          CONTINUITY OF LAW

    10. Laws passed by the Parliament of Canada that apply in Quebec
 at the time section 1 comes into force, and the regulations under
 such laws, shall remain in force until amended or repealed by the
 National Assembly.

    11. Pensions and supplements payable to the elderly shall
 continue to be paid by the Government according to the same terms
 and conditions.  Permits, licences and authorizations that have been
 issued shall remain in force until their expiry.

    12. The courts of civil or criminal jurisdiction shall continue
 to exist; the judges presiding over them shall continue in their
 appointment and retain their authority.  Cases pending may be
 continued until judgment.  The Court of Appeal of Quebec shall
 become the court of highest jurisdiction until a Supreme Court is
 established under the new constitution provided for in section 3.

    The judges of the Federal Court and of the Supreme Court of
 Canada who were members of the Quebec Bar shall become, if they so
 wish, judges of the Superior Court and of the Court of Appeal of
 Quebec, respectively.

    13. The Government may, in keeping with the procedure provided by
 law, appoint all persons required and take all steps necessary to
 facilitate the application of the Canadian Laws that continue to
 apply in Quebec pursuant to section 10.  The sums required for the
 application of those laws shall be taken out of the consolidated
 revenue fund.

    In making appointments under this section, the Government shall
 give priority to the public servants and other employees of the
 Government of Canada or of an agency of body thereof who reside in
 Quebec.

    14. Until the coming into force of the new constitution provided
 for in section 3, the laws, rules and conventions which govern the
 internal constitution of Quebec and access to English-language
 schools shall remain in force.

 =======================================================================
                                  8

                 APPORTIONMENT OF PROPERTY AND DEBTS

    15. The Government may conclude, with the Government of Canada,
 any agreement relating to the apportionment of the property and
 debts of Canada, and to any other matter susceptible of facilitating
 the application of this Act.

                          COMING INTO FORCE

    16. This Act comes into force one year after its approval by
 referendum, unless the National Assembly fixes an earlier date.

    However, sections 2, 3 and 15 come into force on the day
 following the day this Act is approved by referendum.

    17. This Act shall be submitted to a referendum.

    This Act may not come into force unless a majority of the votes
 cast by the electors in a referendum held in accordance with the
 Referendum Act on the following question are cast in the
 affirmative:

    "Are you in favour of the Act passed by the National Assembly
 declaring the sovereignty of Quebec?  YES of NO"

 =======================================================================
                               Notes
 =======================================================================
 =======================================================================
 =======================================================================
                        _____________________

                             HOW YOU CAN
                        _____________________

                              HELP SHAPE
                        _____________________

                        THE HISTORY OF QUEBEC
                        _____________________

 Would you like to participate in the most important democratic
 exercise in the history of Quebec?

 Do you have a critical, divergent or opposing point of view, which
 you would like to express with respect to the draft legislation of
 the sovereignty of Quebec?

 If so, you will get the opportunity next February when the special
 commissions studying the political future of Quebec will travel
 throughout our various regions.

 Watch your local newspapers to find out when your Regional
 Commission will be in your area.  Get involved and make your
 personal contribution to this pivotal debate.  Individuals,
 associations, organizations and companies are all invited to
 participate and a special document will be available as of January
 to help you prepare your submission.

 =======================================================================
 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> THE END <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

 Friar Broccoli
 Robert Keith Elias  (Quebec, Qc, Canada)  Address: [email-masked]
 OFFLINE READER: oak.oakland.edu:/SimTel/msdos/offline/YARN_077.zip

 -- UUNET delays ALL Usenet articles to my site by two (2) days. --

Xref: utcsri can.general:44043 can.gov.general:255 can.legal:6201 can.politics:66721 soc.culture.canada:60641
Path: utcsri!newsflash.concordia.ca!news.mcgill.ca!hookup!uwm.edu!lll-winken.llnl.gov!overload.lbl.gov!agate!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!utnut!torn!uunet.ca!uunet.ca!bobby-sands!usenet
From: [email-masked] (Robert Keith Elias)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.canada,can.gov.general,can.general,can.legal,can.politics
Subject: NO ACCENTS - Quebec's Guide to Commissions on its future (TRANSCRIPT)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 1995 19:59:11 -0500
Organization: Acces Public LLC
Lines: 1100
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: biko.llc.org

 Hello World;

 The following is as perfect an (now unaccented) copy as I could
 make of the official english translation of a document that was
 sent to all households in Quebec on about January 20th.  This
 document is the second such document sent to all households.
 The contents of the first (the "Draft Bill") are entirely
 included within this second document.

 I have a french language version of the "Draft Bill" only (which
 was provided to me in ascii format by the government of Quebec)
 if anybody wants it.  This document is being posted by me to
 provide information.

 ====================================================================
                         __________________

                         A GUIDE TO YOUR
                        __________________

                          PARTICIPATION
                        __________________

                        IN THE COMMISSIONS
                        __________________

                          ON THE FUTURE
                        __________________

                            OF QUEBEC
                        __________________

                             QUEBEC

 ====================================================================

                        TABLE OF CONTENTS

 Message from the Prime Minister .............................. 3
 Let your voice be heard....................................... 4
 How to participate ........................................... 5

 Draft Bill on the Sovereignty of Quebec
 How to complete the declaration of sovereignty ............... 6
 The Draft Bill explained section by section................ 7-16

 Positions of the political parties
 Position of the Parti Quebecois........................... 17-18
 Position of the Bloc quebecois ........................... 19-20
 Position of the Action democratique du Quebec............. 21-22

 Chairpersons and addresses of commission offices.......... 23-24

                                2
 ====================================================================

                 MESSAGE FROM THE PRIME MINISTER

 Dear Quebecers,

 We have reached the second stage in the referendum process,
 which I described when the Draft Bill on the Sovereignty of
 Quebec was tabled in the National Assembly as an information and
 participation phase.

 I invite you to take part in the various forums available to you
 this February when the regional commissions on the future of
 Quebec hold their hearings.

 This guide will help you prepare for the discussions. You will
 find in it explanations of the sections of the Draft Bill on the
 Sovereignty of Quebec. It also contains information on the
 various ways of participating in the regional commissions, one
 of which will undoubtedly be suitable for you. The guide also
 contains the official position of the political parties
 represented on the commissions.

 This information and participation phase will be an example of
 democracy in action. I personally invite you to take part in
 defining the future of Quebec by allowing the commissions to
 benefit from your talents, imagination, experience and
 aspirations.

 Jacques PARIZEAU
 Prime Minister

                                3
 ====================================================================

                     LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD

 The Quebec government has set up, for each region, a commission
 on the future of Quebec. Regardless of where you live, a
 commission will be holding hearings near you - in your city or
 town, in a neighbouring locality or on the territory of your
 regional county municipality.

 The government has also set up two other commissions, one to
 hear young people and the other to hear the elderly.

 Your commission is composed of prominent people from your area.
 The names of the chairpersons and the addresses of the
 commission offices are given at the end of this guide.

 It is the mandate of each commission to hear what you have to
 say about the Draft Bill on the Sovereignty of Quebec, about the
 feasibility of sovereignty and about any other possible future
 for Quebec.

 The commissions will begin work during the week of February 6 in
 most regions, and during the week of February 13 in Montreal and
 Quebec City.

 For the dates, times and locations of the commission hearings,
 consult your regional and national news media.

                                4
 ====================================================================

                        HOW TO PARTICIPATE

 You do not have to be an expert to participate in the work of
 your commission. On the contrary.

 You may simply choose to attend the hearings of the commission
 or the forums that will be organized. The sessions will be
 public and everyone is welcome.

 You may choose to speak at the hearings. The commissions will
 organize open forums in which participants will be able to
 freely express themselves.

 You may choose to submit a written brief In this case, we
 suggest that you register with the secretariat of your
 commission so that you have more chance of being able to
 formally present your brief at a public session. The secretariat
 can also give you information about the best way to prepare a
 brief.

 Lastly, you can submit your opinion in writing without attending
 the gatherings organized. Just send your text to your commission
 by mail or by fax. The commission will take it into account in
 preparing its report.

 In regards to the presentation of briefs during public hearings,
 it is the prerogative of the members of the commission to
 establish the order in which people will speak. The chairperson
 sees to the respect of time allotted for the presentation of
 personal viewpoints and of the positions of organizations,
 groups or associations. If there are too many briefs for the
 commission to hear them all publicly, it must still read them
 and take them into account in its final report.

                                5
 ====================================================================

                  DRAFT BILL ON THE SOVEREIGNTY
                            OF QUEBEC

                 HOW TO COMPLETE THE DECLARATION
                          OF SOVEREIGNTY

 The birth of a country is often accompanied by a solemn
 declaration specifying the basic values and the main social
 objectives that will serve as a foundation for the new nation.

 Such a text, which is generally quite short (often fewer than a
 thousand words), is drafted to rally hearts and minds to a
 number of key ideas spontaneously accepted by the vast majority
 of citizens. It may also contain an affirmation of the principal
 characteristics that distinguish the new nation.

 The Quebec declaration should contain the main principles
 underlying our democratic society while supplementing them with
 contemporary concerns such as the equality of men and women,
 protection of the environment, the fight against poverty and
 respect for cultural diversity.

 All Quebecers and all groups are invited to submit either a
 complete declaration or particular subjects that they would like
 to see included in the declaration.

                                6
 ====================================================================
           The draft Bill explained section by section

           THE PARLIAMENT OF QUEBEC ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:

                           SOVEREIGNTY

  1. Quebec is a sovereign country.

   | When becoming a sovereign country, Quebec will cease to be part
   | of Canada.  It will become an independent nation like France, the
   | United States of America and the other members of the United
   | Nations.
   |
   | Quebec will then have full control over all its taxes, and
   | Quebec taxpayers will no longer pay income tax or other taxes to
   | Ottawa.  But neither will they be represented in the Canadian
   | Parliament.
   |
   | Current federal laws and existing treaties will remain in force,
   | but all new laws will be passed by the Quebec National Assembly
   | and new treaties will be signed by the Quebec government.

                       ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION

  2. The Government is authorized to conclude, with the Government
  of Canada, an agreement the purpose of which is to maintain an
  economic association between Quebec and Canada.

  Such an agreement must be approved by the National Assembly
  before being ratified.

                                7
 ====================================================================

   | The free movement of goods and services, of capital and of
   | persons that currently prevails between Quebec and Canada is not
   | perfect, but it is of obvious advantage to both parties.  It must
   | be preserved for the mutual benefit of Quebec and Canada.
   |
   | At the present time, Quebec is, after the United States, the
   | main economic partner of Canada, while Canada is the foremost
   | export market for Quebec businesses.  Total trade between Quebec
   | and Canada exceeds $100 billion.  It is in the interest of both
   | Canada and Quebec to keep the current economic space intact.
   |
   | Quebec has clearly indicated that it does not intend to
   | establish a customs barrier between itself and Canada.  And
   | Canada would contradict its own trade policy and penalize itself
   | if it were to do so.
   |
   | The retention of the common economic market could be enshrined
   | in an agreement that would lay down all its terms, like the many
   | economic association agreements existing throughout the world.
   | Such an accord could, should the parties so desire, include the
   | creation of intergovernmental agencies for the joint management
   | of certain components of the economic association, such as the
   | St. Lawrence Seaway.

                         NEW CONSTITUTION

  3. The Government shall, in accordance with the procedure
  determined by the National Assembly, see to the drafting of a
  constitution for Quebec and to its adoption.

  The constitution shall include a charter of human rights and
  freedoms.  It shall guarantee the English-speaking community
  that its identity and institutions will be preserved.  It shall
  also recognize the right of Aboriginal nations to
  self-government on lands over which they have full ownership.
  Such guarantee and such recognition shall be exercised in a
  manner consistent with the territorial integrity of Quebec.

                                8
 ====================================================================

  The constitution will provide for the decentralization of
  specific powers to local and regional authorities together with
  sufficient fiscal and financial resources for their exercise.

   | The constitution of a sovereign Quebec must reflect its long
   | democratic tradition, one of the oldest in the world.  The
   | National Assembly will determine how the constitution will be
   | drafted, discussed and adopted.  Until this new constitution
   | comes into effect, the present constitutional rules will apply.
   |
   | Quebec already has its own Charter of human rights and freedoms.
   | Its laws also guarantee the Anglophone community and the
   | aboriginal nations certain rights.  These rights could be better
   | defined and protected by enshrining them in the new
   | constitution.
   |
   | Also, the repatriation of federal powers will pave the way for a
   | true decentralization in favour of local and regional
   | authorities.  The nature of this decentralization will be
   | discussed with the interested parties and its main features will
   | be enshrined in the constitution.

                            TERRITORY

  4. Quebec shall retain the boundaries it has within the Canadian
  Confederation at the time section 1 comes into force.  It shall
  exercise its jurisdiction over the maritime areas and the
  territories adjoining its coastline in accordance with the terms
  and conditions provided by the rules of international law.

   | Currently, Quebec's borders are clearly defined by law and are
   | subject to no conditions.  Under the Canadian Constitution, they
   | cannot be changed without Quebec's consent.

                                9
 ====================================================================

   | Moreover, according to one of the most firmly established
   | principles of international law, a country that becomes
   | sovereign keeps its borders intact.
   |
   | The presence of aboriginal nations and minority ethnic groups
   | does not and has never prevented a country from becoming
   | sovereign.  Indeed, rare are the countries that have become
   | sovereign without having minorities in their midst.  Furthermore,
   | aboriginal and ethnic communities are protected by international
   | conventions that Quebec intends to respect fully.

                           CITIZENSHIP

  5. Every person who holds Canadian citizenship and is domiciled
  in Quebec at the time section 1 comes into force is a Quebec
  citizen.

  Every person who, after the coming into force of section 1, is
  born in Quebec or is born outside Quebec to a father or mother
  holding Quebec citizenship is also a Quebec citizen.

  Quebec citizenship may also be acquired in the manner determined
  by the National Assembly.

  Quebec citizenship may be held concurrently with citizenship of
  Canada or of any other country.

   | According to current Canadian law, any Canadian citizen can
   | obtain one or even a number of nationalities without losing his
   | or her Canadian citizenship.  This tends to be the general rule,
   | given the increase in exchanges and the opening of borders.
   |
   | This would also be true in a sovereign Quebec, which would allow
   | its nationality to be held along with that of any other country,
   | including Canada.

                               10
 ====================================================================

                             CURRENCY

  6. The legal currency of Quebec shall continue to be the
  Canadian dollar.

   | Quebecers hold nearly a quarter of Canada's currency (bills and
   | deposits in banks and caisses).  This represents more than $100
   | billion.  There is no way to take away from Quebecers what
   | belongs to them, or to prevent a sovereign Quebec from using the
   | Canadian dollar if it so wishes.
   |
   | Up to now, Quebec has never been consulted on the monetary
   | policy followed by the Bank of Canada (especially in regards to
   | interest rates).  With sovereignty, the situation can only
   | gradually improve.

                             TREATIES

  7. Quebec shall assume the obligations and enjoy the rights
  arising out of the treaties to which Canada is a party and the
  international conventions to which Canada is a signatory,
  in accordance with the rules of international law.

   | Countries sign treaties with each other because it is in their
   | interest to do so.  Once the treaties are signed, it is in the
   | interest of the signatories to maintain them.  This is why
   | international law favours the maintenance of treaties when a new
   | country becomes sovereign.  This is what is called ÒState
   | successionÓ, by which the new country succeeds automatically to
   | the rights and obligations of the country of which it was
   | formerly a part.
   |
   | Quebec will comply with this practice of the continuity of
   | treaties.

                               11
 ====================================================================

                     INTERNATIONAL ALLIANCES

  8. The Government is authorized to apply for the admission of
  Quebec as a member of the United Nations Organization and other
  international bodies.

   | When it is admitted to the United Nations, Quebec will become
   | its 185th member.  It will be the 18th largest member in terms of
   | territory, the 11th in terms of per capita wealth and the 80th
   | in terms of population.
   |
   | It should be pointed out that Montreal is already the
   | headquarters of one of the official agencies of the United
   | Nations, the International Civil Aviation Organization, as well
   | as of many other major international institutions.
   |
   | Nowadays, it is not unusual for new countries to emerge.  Over
   | the past ten years, some 28 countries have joined the United
   | Nations Organization.

  9. Quebec shall take the necessary steps to remain a member
  particularly of the Commonwealth, the French-speaking community,
  the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the North American
  Aerospace Defence Command, the North American Free Trade
  Agreement and the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade.

   | Quebec meets all the conditions for joining the various
   | alliances of which Canada is already a member.  In fact, these
   | alliances have historical, cultural, political or economic
   | foundations that Quebec, like Canada, can claim.
   |
   | In some of these alliances, particularly the World Trade
   | Organization, which has succeeded the GATT, Quebec could be
   | admitted simply by State succession.  In other cases, like the
   | North American Free Trade Agreement, admission could also be by
   | State succession with the consent of the signatories.

                               12
 ====================================================================

                        CONTINUITY OF LAW

  10. Laws passed by the Parliament of Canada that apply in Quebec
  at the time section 1 comes into force, and the regulations
  under such laws, shall remain in force until amended or repealed
  by the National Assembly.

  11. Pensions and supplements payable to the elderly shall
  continue to be paid by the Government according to the same
  terms and conditions.  Permits, licences and authorizations that
  have been issued shall remain in force until their expiry.

  12. The courts of civil or criminal jurisdiction shall continue
  to exist; the judges presiding over them shall continue in their
  appointment and retain their authority.  Cases pending may be
  continued until judgment.  The Court of Appeal of Quebec shall
  become the court of highest jurisdiction until a Supreme Court
  is established under the new constitution provided for in
  section 3.

  The judges of the Federal Court and of the Supreme Court of
  Canada who were members of the Quebec Bar shall become, if they
  so wish, judges of the Superior Court and of the Court of Appeal
  of Quebec, respectively.

  13. The government may, in keeping with the procedure provided
  by law, appoint all persons required and take all steps
  necessary to facilitate the application of the Canadian laws
  that continue to apply in Quebec pursuant to section 10.  The
  sums required for the application of those laws shall be taken
  out of the consolidated revenue fund.

  In making appointments under this section, the Government shall
  give priority to the public servants and other employees of the
  Government of Canada or of an agency or body thereof who reside
  in Quebec.

                               13
 ====================================================================

  14. Until the coming into force of the new constitution provided
  for in section 3, the laws, rules and conventions which govern
  the internal constitution of Quebec and access to
  English-language schools shall remain in force.

   | Explanation of sections 10 to 14
   |
   | There will not be any legal vacuum when Quebec becomes
   | sovereign.  All the necessary steps will have been taken for the
   | Quebec government to immediately take over from the federal
   | government.
   |
   | In most cases, services will continue to be provided by the same
   | public servants and other employees of the federal government
   | working in Quebec, who will simply perform their duties as
   | before, but as employees of the Quebec government.  In other
   | cases, measures will be taken so that people receive federal
   | services with no interruption.
   |
   | All federal public servants and other employees residing in
   | Quebec will be able to become employees of the Quebec government
   | if they wish to do so.  Their services will be required to enable
   | Quebec to take over from the federal government.  This is why the
   | Draft Bill on the Sovereignty of Quebec provides that they be
   | hired as a priority to carry out the new duties assumed by the
   | Quebec government.

               APPORTIONMENT OF PROPERTY AND DEBTS

  15. The government may conclude, with the government of Canada,
  any agreement relating to the apportionment of the property and
  debts of Canada, and to any other matter susceptible of
  facilitating the application of this Act.

   | The rules of international law governing the apportionment of
   | property and debts in the event of the accession to sovereignty
   | of a new country are quite complex and depend upon the

                               14
 ====================================================================

   | particular circumstances of the countries involved.  But there
   | are plenty of examples on which to draw upon since many
   | countries have had to carry out such an arrangement.
   |
   | Quebec is prepared to comply with the rules of international law
   | and to conclude with Canada an agreement on the apportionment of
   | property and debts that will supplement the arrangements to be
   | made on transitional measures and on the retention of the common
   | economic market.

                        COMING INTO FORCE

  16. This Act comes into force one year after its approval by
  referendum, unless the National Assembly fixes an earlier date.

  However, section 2, 3 and 15 come into force on the day
  following the day this Act is approved by referendum.

   | Quebec will not become a sovereign country on the day after the
   | referendum.  Accession to sovereignty must be carefully prepared
   | and discussions must be held with the Government of Canada on
   | the manner of apportioning Canada's property and debts, on the
   | best ways to retain the common economic market and on the
   | various other transitional measures.
   |
   | The one-year transition period provided for in the Draft Bill
   | was that recommended by the Belanger-Campeau Commission and
   | specified in the Act respecting the process for determining the
   | political and constitutional future of Quebec (Bill 150),
   | adopted by the National Assembly in 1991.
   |
   | This period may, of course, prove to be too long, and the
   | National Assembly will be able to adjust it accordingly.
   |
   | However, the legal provisions required to prepare accession to
   | sovereignty, like those dealing with negotiations with Canada
   | and the drafting of a new constitution, will come into effect
   | soon after the Draft Bill has been approved by the people.

                               15
 ====================================================================

  17. This Act shall be submitted to a referendum.

  This Act may not come into force unless a majority of the votes
  cast by the electors in a referendum held in accordance with the
  Referendum Act on the following question are cast in the
  affirmative:

  "Are you in favour of the Act passed by the National Assembly
  declaring the sovereignty of Quebec? YES or NO"

   | The Referendum Act, adopted in 1978, provides that a referendum
   | may be held either on a question or on a draft bill.
   |
   | When a referendum is held on a draft bill, the Referendum Act
   | provides that the bill must first be adopted by the National
   | Assembly, but it cannot become an effective law unless it is
   | approved by a majority of the votes in the referendum.
   |
   | The majority rule provided in the Draft Bill is the rule
   | universally followed by all democratic societies in determining
   | the political future of a nation.

                               16
 ====================================================================

 All Quebec parliamentarians, in both the National Assembly and
 the House of Commons, have been invited to sit on the
 commissions. The constitutional positions of each of the parties
 that have agreed to do so are given in the following pages. The
 Liberal Party of Canada, the Liberal Party of Quebec and the
 Progressive Conservative Party of Canada declined the
 invitation.

               THE POSITION OF THE PARTI QUEBECOIS

 In keeping with the undertaking it had made, the Parti Quebecois
 has, less than three months after taking office, launched the
 referendum process leading up to the attainment of sovereignty.

 All attempts to win a greater role and more powers for Quebec
 within Canada have been rejected by English Canada. Now, for the
 first time, the citizens of Quebec will be able to fashion the
 future of their country themselves, based on their own agenda,
 without seeking prior approval from anyone else.

 What does the sovereignty of the Quebec mean? A consensus has
 emerged: according to the definitions adopted by the Parti
 Quebecois, the Belanger-Campeau Commission and the National
 Assembly, sovereignty essentially consists of the power to pass
 all laws, collect all taxes and sign all treaties.

                     PASSING ALL OUR OWN LAWS

 Once it is a sovereign country, Quebec will be able to pass all
 its own laws and implement the policies it needs to achieve the
 goals of economic prosperity, environmental protection, equity
 and social justice.

 For example, Quebec could adopt a full employment policy, a
 regional development policy, an anti-poverty strategy, a fairer
 taxation system, and policies aimed at more equal distribution
 of the collective wealth. Quebec will also be able to act freely
 in the field of manpower training, and make it a cornerstone of
 an economic modernization strategy.

 Sovereignty will enable the people of Quebec to take control of
 the levers of power in sectors vital to their cultural identity,
 such as broadcasting and telecommunications.

 Having recovered full legislative and judicial powers, a
 sovereign Quebec could finally promote its own development as a
 country of French language and culture; it could introduce a
 linguistic policy in keeping with its legitimate aspirations,
 which the federal system prevents it from doing.

 In short, making Quebec a sovereign French-speaking country,
 while respecting the rights of the anglophone community and of
 aboriginal nations, iS the best means to ensure the survival and
 full development of the Quebec people within North America.

                   COLLECTING ALL OUR OWN TAXES

 In a sovereign Quebec, citizens will no longer have to fill in
 two income tax returns, and businesses and organizations will no
 longer have to deal with two levels of government bureaucracy.

                               17
 ====================================================================

 By reclaiming all the taxes now sent to Ottawa, transferring
 federal services to Quebec, dividing up assets and the debt, and
 eliminating duplications and overlap, Quebec will be able to put
 its financial house in order.

 We will then be in a position to act and make investments on the
 basis of our own interest and priorities. Quebec will be able to
 more effectively support regional development, the creation of
 small businesses, education and job market entry for young
 people, manpower training, and research and development. For
 example, since 1979 Quebec has received 18% of federal R&D
 spending, although it accounts for 25% of Canada's population
 and 23% of federal revenues.

 A sovereign Quebec will also be able to consolidate all existing
 family support tax measures (such as federal and provincial tax
 credits for dependent children and federal and provincial tax
 deductions for child care expenses) into a single, coherent
 family policy.

 With the increased revenues raised by collecting all taxes, the
 Government of Quebec will be able to start paying old age
 pensions and providing other services now delivered by Ottawa,
 immediately and without delay.

 And it will be able to provide theses services at a lower cost,
 by eliminating duplications and overlap and by rationalizing its
 spending. For beneficiaries, the only difference will be that
 the cheque will come from Quebec instead of Ottawa.

                         SIGNING ALL OUR
                          OWN TREATIES

 Through sovereignty, Quebec will acquire what is incontestably
 the most important power of the modern state: the authority to
 sign treaties and thereby to enter freely into cooperative
 arrangements with other states. Sovereignty will enable us to
 look outward, to defend our interests in the world, and to make
 our voice heard in the community of nations.

 In an age of globalization characterized by the expansion of
 international linkages and the proliferation of international
 agreements governing trade, science, technology, culture and
 other matters, it is easy to foresee that without sovereignty
 Quebec will find itself increasingly powerless in areas where
 its vitals interests are at stake. It will have to stand idly by
 and watch passively as international agreements are signed and
 associations are formed without Quebec's involvement.

 Today, an international presence means more than embassies
 abroad and membership in the United Nations; it means
 representation on trade panels, being able to negotiate
 exemptions for struggling industries, setting agricultural
 quotas, signing patent protection conventions, and so forth.

 Only one government can or should defend our interests in
 international forums; only one government can or should speak on
 behalf of the citizens of Quebec; and that government is the
 Government of Quebec.

                               18
 ====================================================================

                THE POSITION OF THE BLOC QUEBECOIS

                "TOGETHER MAKING QUEBEC A COUNTRY"

 Quebec has searched in vain, for more than thirty years, to
 obtain through constitutional reform, the powers necessary to
 ensure its economic development and to unite its cultural
 identity. Time after time, its governments failed in their
 attempts to change the federal system towards their profound
 aspirations. It is revealing enough to note that the only
 successful reform was made by force, and was contrary to the
 interests and the will of Quebec. After having imposed the 1982
 Constitution on Quebec, English Canada refused, in 1990, to
 recognize, even symbolically, Quebec as a distinct society. The
 rejection of the Meech Lake Accord, based upon the most timid
 conditions formulated by a Quebec government, confirmed the
 inability of the federal system to reform itself in order to
 respond to Quebec's needs. Two years later, at the end of
 negotiations, Quebecers as well as Canadians rejected the
 Charlottetown compromise, extinguishing in this way hopes for
 any projects to reform federalism.

 Quebecers are presented with two options: the status quo within
 a federal system or sovereignty, or in other words the choice
 between resignation or emancipation. The status quo implies the
 continuance of the centralization of powers in Ottawa initiated
 with the 1982 Constitution, and completely incompatible with
 Quebec's traditional claims aimed at new power-sharing. The
 reform of social programs launched by the federal government
 allows it to interfere even more in education, health,
 work-force training and social assistance, fields that
 nonetheless fall under Quebec's jurisdiction.

                      FOUNDERING FEDERALISM

 With a federal debt of more than $550 billion, we no longer have
 the means to afford a federalism of confrontation and
 foundering, perpetuating the futile disputes between Ottawa and
 Quebec, the former wanting national government, the latter
 responding to Quebecers desire to act as their true government.
 The multiplication of overlaps and administrative duplications
 between Ottawa and Quebec brings about waste and unacceptable
 inefficiency. During these challenging times requiring a global
 economy, neither must we devote our vital energies towards the
 Ottawa-Quebec disputes, but rather toward job creation, regional
 development and work-force training.

 In acceding to sovereignty, Quebecers will give themselves the
 means to have a more efficient government. Sovereignty, as the
 National Assembly already defined it, is "the exclusive
 capability of Quebec, by its democratic institutions, to make
 its laws, to raise its taxes on its territory and to act in the
 international arena in concluding all forms of agreements or
 treaties with other independent States." To this end, a
 sovereign Quebec could participate in the North American Free
 Trade Agreement, as well as in the General Agreement on Trade
 and Tariffs (GATT). Given the importance of trade between

                               19
 ====================================================================

 Quebec and Canada an their mutual interest in maintaining it,
 the Bloc Quebecois advocates the preservation, even the
 reinforcement of their economic association in a manner that
 would ensure the free flow of people, goods and capital. Use of
 the Canadian dollar as legal Quebec currency is included in this
 will to maintain the common economic space. As well, Quebec
 should assume its fair portion of the debt by way of an
 agreement on an equitable sharing of Canada's assets and debt.

                        RESPECT FOR RIGHTS

 A sovereign Quebec must be at the fore-front in the respect of
 fundamental rights by enshrining the Quebec Charter of Human
 Rights in the Constitution. The historical rights of its
 Anglophone community to maintain its identity and its
 institutions, as well as the recognition of the native nations'
 right to governmental autonomy, while respecting the territorial
 integrity of Quebec, should equally be guaranteed by the Quebec
 Constitution. A tolerant and welcoming land for immigrants, a
 sovereign Quebec will develop and function in French, while
 respecting the cultural contribution of newcomers. The values of
 equal opportunity and social justice must be inscribed as
 fundamental for a sovereign Quebec. The latter will not accept
 being "broken in two" and will fiercely fight against poverty
 with a policy of full employment and a decentralization of
 powers towards the regions. The right to education and cultural
 access must also be among the fundamental values of a sovereign
 Quebec concerned with reinforcing its cultural identity as a
 pluralistic Francophone society, open to the world.

 The Bloc Quebecois will fully participate in the consultation
 process proposed by the Quebec government in its draft bill on
 sovereignty. This process allows each citizen to contribute in
 explicitly defining the fundamental values of a sovereign Quebec
 that will be integrated into the Constitution. It is up to
 Quebecers, and Quebecers alone to define the paths of their
 political future.

 In May 1980, Rene Levesque said to us: "Next time!" The next
 time is now. Quebecers once again have a rendez-vous with
 History, it is up to us to make a country of Quebec.

                               20
 ====================================================================

                         POSITION OF THE
                  ACTION DEMOCRATIQUE DU QUEBEC

   "The debate on the political and constitutional future of
   Quebec must provide an opportunity for all citizens to express
   their opinion. As part of this reflection on the future of our
   society by a broad spectrum of the population, I am pleased to
   introduce the new partnership with Canadians that is described
   in the constitutional option of the Action democratique du
   Quebec. I invite you to take the time to read these pages and
   to share with us your thoughts concerning the proposal that we
   are making at this crucial juncture in our history."

 Mario Dumont
 Leader of the Action democratique du Quebec
 Member of the National Assembly for Riviere-du-Loup

            UNITED IN A NEW QUEBEC-CANADA PARTNERSHIP

 The Action democratique du Quebec proposes a constitutional
 option that will make it possible to reconcile two fundamental
 objectives that, in our history, have always been the foundation
 of our society: being masters in our own home and finally being
 full-fledged partners in an entity that economics, history and
 geography have forged over generations, i.e. the Canadian
 entity.

 This partnership will give us the means to realize our economic
 strength, to ensure that each person can work, to offer our
 young people a high quality educational system, to provide a
 good health care system, to manage our resources in a sound
 manner and to create a social climate in which people of all
 origins can develop their potential to the fullest and live in
 harmony.

                    A NEW QUEBEC-CANADA UNION

 The Action democratique du Quebec proposes to our Canadian
 partners a modern new union, similar to the European Union, in
 which each partner retains its rights and powers, and whose
 operation is based on the existence of a common parliament.

 The purpose of this new union and its parliament is to ensure
 the greatest possible economic and political stability, and to
 preserve the achievements of many centuries of cohabitation.
 While this option ensures the exclusivity of the jurisdictions
 traditionally sought by Quebec, it also enables Canada's
 economic space to be consolidated.

                   THE PARLIAMENT OF THE UNION

 The Action democratique du Quebec envisions the creation of a
 parliament for the new union composed of elected representatives
 of the member states. Jurisdiction over the following could be
 delegated to the parliament:

    * the free movement of people, goods, services and capital
      within the union;

    * international trade, and customs and tariff policy;

    * payment of the joint debt;

                               21
 ====================================================================

    * maintenance of a common currency, a central bank and the
      regulation of chartered banks;

    * a responsibility for an economic balance among the various
      regions in the union;

    * a fiscal power limited to the exercise of its
      jurisdictions;

    * union citizenship and international representation in the
      jurisdictions devolving to the union;

    * postal services;

    * the army;

    * a charter of rights and freedoms as a standard governing
      the activity of the parliament of the union;

    * the formation of courts to rule on matters arising from the
      competence of the union's parliament and to interpret the
      legislation founding the union;

    * general immigration policies under negotiated agreements;

    * the establishment of environmental standards under
      negotiated agreements.

                   A REFERENDUM FOR A NEW UNION

 Quebec alone has not signed the Canadian Constitution. The
 repeated failures of the last attempts to bring Quebec into the
 Canadian fold have clearly demonstrated the constitutional
 stalemate. Quebecers are not partners in this country.

 Because Quebecers can no longer believe in the possibility of
 reform of the Canadian Constitution, they must, in a calm and
 responsible manner, exercise their right to sovereignty through
 a referendum, while at the same time proposing the creation of
 the new economic and political union.

 At a time when our true economic rivals are on other continents,
 the new partnership that the Action democratique du Quebec
 proposes will make it possible to settle the quarrels between
 partners and to work together at last to meet the requirements
 of the new global economic reality.

                  RECOVERY HERE IN QUEBEC FIRST

 Before a referendum is held on our constitutional and political
 future, the Quebec government must propose a vigorous plan for
 recovery in the economy, public finances and democracy.
 Quebecers know that, with an alarming unemployment rate, a
 deficit exceeding $5.7 billion, a total debt in the
 neighbourhood of $70 billion, priority must be given to social
 and economic security. And they are right.

 To be masters in our own home, we must first have jobs, economic
 development, a high quality educational system and responsible
 management of public finances, while living within our means.

 The approach proposed by the Action democratique du Quebec will
 restore Quebecers' confidence and enable them to look to the
 future with ambition.

                               22
 ====================================================================

                           CHAIRPERSONS
                          AND ADDRESSES
                      OF COMMISSION OFFICES

  Commission du Bas-Saint-Laurent      :  Commission de Montreal sur l'avenir
  sur l'avenir du Quebec               :  du Quebec
  Ms. Rita Giguere, Chairperson        :  Mr. Marcel Masse, Chairperson
  337, rue Moreault, 2e etage          :  770, rue Sherbrooke Ouest, 4e etage
  Rimouski (Quebec)                    :  Place Mercantile
  G6L 1P4                              :  Montreal (Quebec)
  Tel.: (418) 727-3926                 :  H3A 1G1
  Fax:  (418) 727-3929                 :  Tel.: (514) 864-9308
                                       :  Fax:  (514) 873-2197
                                       :
  Commission du Saguenay-Lac-          :
  Saint-Jean sur l'avenir du Quebec    :  Commission de l'Outaouais sur
  Mr. Rejean Simard, Chairperson       :  l'avenir du Quebec
  3950, boul. Harvey, 2e etage         :  Mr. Antoine Gregoire, Chairperson
  Jonquiere (Quebec)                   :  170, rue Hotel-de-Ville
  G7X 8L6                              :  Bureau 7.340
  Tel.: (418) 695-8156                 :  Hull (Quebec)
  Fax:  (418) 695-8161                 :  J8X 4C2
                                       :  Tel.: (819) 772-3572
                                       :  Fax:  (819) 772-3595
  Commission de la capitale sur        :
  l'avenir du Quebec                   :
  Mr. Jean-Paul L'Allier, Chairperson  :  Commission de l'Abitibi-
  425, rue Saint-Amable                :  Temiscamingue sur l'avenir du
  2e etage                             :  Quebec
  Quebec (Quebec)                      :  Mr. Jules Arsenault, Chairperson
  G1R 4Z1                              :  180, boul. Rideau
  Tel.: (418) 528-2057                 :  Bureau RC.1.03
  Fax:  (418) 528-1597                 :  Rouyn-Noranda (Quebec)
                                       :  J9X 1N9
                                       :  Tel.: (819) 762-2828
  Commission de la Mauricie-Bois-      :  Fax:  (819) 762-2898
  Francs sur l'avenir du Quebec        :
  Mr. Gilles Boulet, Chairperson       :
  100, rue Laviolette                  :  Commission de la Cote-Nord sur
  Bureau 419                           :  l'avenir du Quebec
  Trois-Rivieres (Quebec)              :  Ms. Anne-Marie Hickey, Chairperson
  G9A 5S9                              :  456, ave Arnaud
  Tel.: (819) 371-6782                 :  Bureau 1.09
  Fax:  (819) 371-6791                 :  Sept-Iles (Quebec)
                                       :  G4R 3B1
                                       :  Tel.: (418) 968-2057
  Commission de l'Estrie sur l'avenir  :  Fax:  (418) 968-4638
  du Quebec                            :
  Ms. Lynn Charpentier, Chairperson    :
  200, rue Belvedere Nord, 4e etage,   :  Commission de la Gaspesie-iles-de-
  Bureau 4.05                          :  Ia-Madeleine sur l'avenir du Quebec
  Sherbrooke (Quebec)                  :  Mr. Jules Belanger, Chairperson
  J1H 4A9                              :  96, Montee Sandy Beach
  Tel.: (819) 820-3700                 :  2e etage
  Fax:  (819) 820-3706                 :  Gaspe (Quebec)
                                       :  G0C 1R0
                                       :  Tel.: (418) 368-8704
                                       :  Fax:  (418) 368-6345
                                       :

                               23
 ====================================================================

  Commission de Chaudiere-             :  Commission des Laurentides sur
  Appalaches sur l'avenir du Quebec    :  l'avenir du Quebec
  Ms. Danielle-Maude Gosselin,         :  Ms. Lucie Papineau, Chairperson
  Chairperson                          :  85, rue De Martigny Ouest
  700, av. Notre-Dame Nord             :  Bureau 2.18
  Bureau D                             :  Saint-Jerome (Quebec)
  Sainte-Marie-de-Beauce (Quebec)      :  J7Y 3R8
  G6E 2K9                              :  Tel.: (514) 569-3219
  Tel.: (418) 387-7255                 :  Fax:  (514) 569-3224
  Fax:  (418) 387-7566                 :
                                       :
                                       :  Commission de la Monteregie sur
  Commission de Laval sur l'avenir     :  I'avenir du Quebec
  du Quebec                            :  Mr. Marcel Robidas, Chairperson
  Mr. Philippe Garceau, Chairperson    :  201, place Charles-Lemoyne, 2e etage
  2800, boul. St-Martin Ouest          :  Bureau 2.01
  RC 03E                               :  Longueuil (Quebec)
  Laval (Quebec)                       :  J4K 2T5
  H7T 2S9                              :  Tel.: (514) 928-5070
  Tel.: (514) 978-4875                 :  Fax:  (514) 928-5075
  Fax:  (514) 978-0549                 :
                                       :
                                       :  Commission des ainees
  Commission de Lanaudiere sur         :  et des aines sur l'avenir du Quebec
  l'avenir du Quebec                   :  Ms. Monique Vezina, Chairperson
  Mr. Louis-Paul Allard, Chairperson   :  454, place Jacques-Cartier
  138, rue Saint-Paul                  :  5e etage
  Joliette (Quebec)                    :  Montreal (Quebec)
  J6E 5G3                              :  H2Y 3W3
  Tel.: (514) 752-6921                 :  Tel.: (514) 873-7377
  Fax:  (514) 752-6926                 :  Fax:  (514) 873-7704
                                       :
                                       :
                                       :  Commission des jeunes sur l'avenir
                                       :  du Quebec
                                       :  Mr. Marc-Andre Coallier, Chairperson
                                       :  454, place Jacques-Cartier
                                       :  5e etage
                                       :  Montreal (Quebec)
                                       :  E2Y 3W3
                                       :  Tel.: (514) 873-7730
                                       :  Fax:  (514) 873-8378

               A single toll-free telephone number
                       for your commission:
                          1 800 381-2425

                  A single toll-free fax number
                       for your commission:
                          1 800 382-2425

         La version francaise est disponible sur demande
                          1 800 363-3043

  Gouvernement du Quebec
  Ministere du Conseil executif
  Secretariat national des commissions
  sur l'avenir du Quebec

                               24
 ====================================================================

 Friar Broccoli
 Robert Keith Elias  (Quebec, Qc, Canada)  Address: [email-masked]
 OFFLINE READER: oak.oakland.edu:/SimTel/msdos/offline/YARN_077.zip

 -------- I consider ALL arguments in support of my views. --------