Subject: C.A.S. Scandal - Please Read!

From: [email-masked] (A Concerned Citizen)
Date: 18 Oct 1994 17:23:38 GMT

"Society" Covers Up Abuses
                             C.A.S. Scandal
                 Workers' Crimes & Abuses of Authority

Part 2 of 4

This is published by (Name Censored).  No other person bears any
responsibility for the content, publication or distribution of this
material.  The publisher's name is left off not from cowardice but
because the law prohibits its publication.  Facts presented in this
document can be confirmed by documentation and by eyewitness accounts.
Reader concerns regarding the Children's Aid Society may be addressed by
telephone calls and letters to the media, your political
representatives, or Raymond J. Muldoon, C.A.S. Executive Director.  For
further information or to see documentation, the publisher may be
contacted anytime at (613) 546-5114.

Early in 1993, Dan Devlin assigned Joan Stacey to the case.  As part of
her assignment, she was to conduct a Psycho-Social assessment of the
family.

Unqualified Case Worker
        Joan Stacey has no academic qualifications either as a social
        worker or as an assessor and was, until recently, a secretary at
        the C.A.S.

        "It sometimes feels as if children do not exist at all and it is
        only adults striving to see who is the most powerful to win
        their case.  The clients become victims of the process, the
        system and sometimes of the professional."
            - Lillian Alexis, Going Onward

        Early in the process, it became clear that Joan Stacey holds an
        abiding anger toward men and that she focussed this anger on
        (father's name censored). Joan Stacey refused ever to observe
        the children in the context of their home.  Further, she has
        repeatedly perjured herself in affidavits and on the stand in
        court. Most of the evidence in this matter consists of Joan
        Stacey's unsubstantiated and perjured accusations against
        (father's name censored). Her primary assignment was clearly to
        take (girl's name censored) and (youngest boy's name censored)
        from their father even though he was not the abuser of his
        children.  By manipulating an assessment process, Dan Devlin's
        crew managed on June 23, 1993, to take the two younger children.

Abuses By Court Psychiatrist
        On June 23, 1993, Dr. Wendy Cole, administrator of the Family
        Court Clinic in Ottawa, orchestrated a plan to take (girl's name
        censored) and (youngest boy's name censored).  She created a
        situation where both parents would become upset.  For example,
        she reported that (eldest boy's name censored) had disclosed the
        abuse by a teacher in Windsor but that, although the law
        requires her to do so, she would not report this to the C.A.S.
        or police.  (When police later asked her about this, she denied
        there had ever been a disclosure.  She later again made this
        denial under oath in court.)

        "(The boy said) ...there was a teacher--in Windsor.  I thought
        he was nice.  But he made kids do bad things, stick fingers in
        their bums...he's gone now.  He's in jail."
            - hand-written note, Dr. Wendy Cole

False Charges Laid By Shrink
        Dr. Cole filed false charges of a very serious nature with the
        Ottawa Police and had (father's name censored) arrested.  These
        charges included that the father had a gun, was holding hostages
        in her office, and had threatened to kill her.  None of this was
        true.  In fact, the father was cowering in her office, terrified
        by Dr. Cole's awesome authority to destroy his life.  The mother
        was cowering in another office in similar fear for the safety
        and integrity of herself and her family. Dr. Cole also called
        Dan Devlin in Kingston and reported that, in a fit of violence,
        (father's name censored) had destroyed her office, smashing
        furniture, ripping a telephone from the wall, and putting his
        fist through a glass partition.  In fact, none of this ever
        happened. Once (father's name censored) was out of the way, Dr.
        Wendy Cole apprehended his children.  Once she had taken the
        children, the false charges she had placed were quickly dropped.
        In Family Court sometime later, Dr. Cole repeatedly perjured
        herself, making several very serious but false accusations
        against (father's name censored).  As an example, knowing
        (father's name censored) is a school teacher seeking employment,
        Dr. Cole told the court that the father is under investigation
        by Kingston Police for sexually abusing a young female student
        in his classroom.  No such incident ever happened and there is
        not and never has been such an investigation. As he had with
        (eldest boy's name censored), Dan Devlin again had the children
        picked up by Andrew Jackson, who had a clear conflict of
        interest. (Girl's name censored) and (youngest boy's name
        censored) were placed in a foster home on a farm near Verona. In
        the spring of 1993, Dan Devlin assigned Rosemary Robinson, a
        woman with an even greater distaste for men, to be the family
        worker. Rosemary Robinson too has consistently perjured herself
        in this matter. Chris Wheal was assigned as the Children's
        Services worker.  He has on many occasions been verbally abusive
        and physically threatening to (father's name censored). All
        these workers have refused to address (father's name censored)'s
        very real concerns for his children's well being and safety.

Systemic Cover-Up By C.A.S.

        In fact, Chris Wheal and Rosemary Robinson have both been active
        in covering up abuses in this matter. During the first family
        visit after (girl's name censored) and (youngest boy's name
        censored) were taken, (youngest boy's name censored) had several
        sets of bruises that were clearly made by an adult hand grasping
        his upper thigh.  Chris Wheal was very reluctant to investigate
        this but finally agreed to let a doctor see (youngest boy's name
        censored) and give (father's name censored) a written report.
        Chris Wheal and others at the C.A.S. then refused to allow
        (father's name censored) or his lawyer see the doctor's report
        and tried to keep it secret. The doctor confirmed that there was
        at least physical abuse of these children in the foster home.

        "...these bruises are present in a suspicious area (i.e. buttock
        and thigh) and are multiple...could be conceivably accidental
        but could just as well be non-accidental.  The child's
        explanation of a single fall (or maybe 2) does not account for a
        total of 6 bruises."
            - Jack Raleigh, M.D.

        At the same meeting, Chris Wheal was present and observing when
        (youngest boy's name censored) gave his father a very graphic
        demonstration of how the foster father had sexually abused him.
        Since then, covering up for the foster home, Chris Wheal has
        consistently denied he was even in the room.

        "...cynically decided to lie under oath and hide behind the
        words 'in my opinion...'"
            - Gary Trudeau, Doonesbury

        Both children, especially (youngest boy's name censored), come
        to many visits with serious and often--both in location and
        severity--unusual bruises.  They report that a 16 year old boy,
        Norman, pushes, beats and threatens them. Asked by (father's
        name censored) to investigate this abuse, Chris Wheal refuses to
        investigate at all, saying, "that's not abuse, it's just rough
        play".  In fact, a 16 year old beating up a 5 year old is not
        rough play.  It is child abuse.

C.A.S. Supervisor Fired
        In December of 1993, Dan Devlin was fired.  Martha Downey Smith,
        the C.A.S. lawyer, told (father's name censored) Dan Devlin had
        been fired because of his improper actions in his and "several
        other cases".  Several other workers associated with this case
        either have been demoted or have left the employ of the C.A.S.
        However, the C.A.S. has not formally admitted any wrongdoing in
        this matter and continues to aggressively pursue the program of
        punitive persecution of (father's name censored) and his
        children begun and orchestrated by Dan Devlin.  This seems, at
        this point, to be a face-saving venture.