Subject: Re: Gender participation

From: [email-masked] (Chris Auld)
Date: 21 Dec 1994 17:57:02 GMT

[email-masked] (Terry McDermott) writes:

>Is it just me (as a newcomer to this interesting group) or is this
>whole thing very male dominated? It's curious that most elements
>of the computer culture are used more often by males.

Clearly, this _must_ be the result of blatant discrimination.  It is
a horrific example of the most heinous sexism that there aren't more
womyn on the net -- men, driven by misogyny and fueled by the overwhelming
power they enjoy under patriarchy, are conspiring to withhold net access
from womyn.  Why?  Because they know that under the gentle and wise
tutelage of womyn that the net would become a kinder, gentler place,
devoid of the innate violence burning in the hearts of men.

Obviously, the only way to rectify this situation is to prevent men from
accessing the net until enough womyn have signed on that we have achieved
gender equity.  Access providers who have not achieved equal numbers of
men and womyn within a reasonable time span will be subject to legal
action.  That is, Internet Affirmative Action (IAA) is the clear choice of
policy intruments here.  As a stopgap measure, all newsgroups should
become moderated and posts by men in excess of those by womyn rejected. 
Sure, this isn't fair, but that's a small price to pay for equity. 

-- 
Chris Auld                               Department of Economics
Internet: [email-masked]       Queen's University
Office:   (613)545-2269                  Kingston, ON   K7L 3N6