Subject: Protest the 8/21 NCSEAP Child Support 'Convention'

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Aug 1994 21:02:47 -0700

Mark Charambolous passed this on to me for posting... Information about
the protest follows the announcement. I urge everyone who can get here to
do so. We've _got_ to show these people that NCPs are more than just a check 
in an envelope.

	See you there...
	Alan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                        A N N O U N C E M E N T

        The National Child Support Enforcement Association (NCSEAP
                                presents
                     Revolutionizing Child Support
                          It's Got MASS Appeal

              43rd Annual Training Conference & Exposition

                August 21-25, 1994  Boston, Massachusetts

Some of the sessions:

"The Legislative Agenda: What's Hot in Child Support"
Child support has the attention of Congress and state legislators as never
before. What are the prospects for new hire reporting, license revocation,
and national child support guidelines? What proposals are getting attention?
Learn how to mobilize public support to improve your state's child support
laws.
Target Audience: Lawyers, Administrators, Policy Makers

"Who's My Daddy? A crash course in Paternity Caselaw"
This session deals with the most difficult issues in paternity establishment.
Biological versus presumed fathers: how and when to sort out the conflicting
rights of mother, father (*they" have rights too?), husband and child? Defacto
adoption and paternity by estoppel -- What are the laws? Retroactive support
in paternity cases -- when is it appropriate and how to obtain it?
Target Audience: Lawyers, Judges, Hearing Officers

"The End of Welfare as We Know It: Roundtable Discussion on Welfare Reform"
An opportunity for an in depth (sic) discussion of the issues raised during
the earlier sessions on welfare reform. How does child support affect
children in poverty? What reforms in the AFDC program will facilitate child
support enforcement efforts? Where does child support assurance fit in? 
***Can child support enforcement fund welfare reform?***
Target Audience: Policy Makers, Administrators, Caseworkers 

"Rest Assured: How Can We Protect Our Customers and Staff?"
Security is of increasing concern throughout our society as well as within
our own child support offices. How can we detect and deflect potentially 
violent *customers*? What type of security -- both training and facilities --
is reasonable and appropriate? How can child support professionals best 
serve victims of domestic violence? This session provides current information
for dealing more effectively with increased violence in our environment.
Target Audience: Administrators, Supervisors, Caseworkers 

"Opening the Door: The Noncustodial Parent as a Customer. (Part 1)"
The noncustodial parent is an important customer, (*!!!*) and often raises
custody and visitation as a defense to nonpayment of child support. Without
making visitation and child support interdependent (*God forbid! We couldn't
do that!*) can support order compliance be fostered through more attention
to visitation (*What a radical concept!*)? .....
Target Audience: Lawyers, Judges, Hearing Officers, Policy Makers

"Military And Civilian Enforcement: Uncle Sam Wants You! (Part 1)"
What can be done when the noncustodial parent is on duty in the Armed 
Services of Uncle Sam? Can you establish an order? Can you enforce one? 
In this two-part session, our experts will tell you exactly what you need
to know to reach out and touch someone in uniform (*aren't these people
cute?*).
Target Audience: Lawyers, Judges, Hearing Officers, Caseworkers

"Location Through Technology: Still No Escape! (Part II)"
Successful location requires the right balance between automated and manual 
location techniques. Which data bases work best and how do you access them?
What's the data base hierarchy? How do we ensure that interstate caseworkers
can get their hands on the same information as in-state cases? How can we
protect confidential information? Can regional partnerships help?
Target Audience: Administrators, Caseworkers, Private Sector

"Contempt: Making Intelligent Choices."
For some cases, contempt is still the most efective enforcement remedy.
What is necessary to prove the case? What are the best trial strategies for 
cases requiring attribution of income? How effective are "seek work" orders 
against the unemployed or underemployed? Come see a mock trial demonstrating
the best techniques.
Target Audience: Lawyers, Judges, Hearing Officers

"Military Enforcement: Over Hill, Over Dale. (Part II)"
A continuation of part I, this session also focuses on support enforcement
directed against members of the Armed Services, employees of the federal
government and recipients of other federal income or benefits.
Target Audience: Lawyers, Judges, Hearing Officers, Caseworkers

"Special Enforcement Tools: Thay Can Run - But They Can't Hide (Their Cash)!
Find out where small business owners, the self-employed and those with
investment real estate stash their cash. Learn how to use credit reports,
1099 information and income tax returns to collect on hard-to-enforce cases.
Learn also how some noncustodial parents use tax laws to minimize their
apparent income, and how to analyze a tax return to determine a parent's
true ability to pay support.
Target Audience: Lawyers, Caseworkers

And on, and on, ...  

Heard enough?

No editorializing is necessary (however, for the morbidly curious, my
comments are enclosed in *...*.   I know, it's hard to tell my satire 
from the real text...)

Are you ready to stand up and be counted on August 21; to give these good 
folks the reception they deserve? If you aren't, you have no business 
complaining about your cs burden! 

In case you want to attend :-), it's $450 for full registration, or $175 
per day. Their address: NCSEA, Dept. 3009, Washington, DC 20061-3009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the protest schedule/information:

~Date: Sunday, August 21

2:00 pm: Arrive at Conference center (not NCSEA conference) at 294 Washington 
         Street (Next to Old South Meeting House/Downtown Crossing,
accessible          by the "T".)

2:30:    Briefing on child support facts and statistics

3:30:    Depart and walk to Park Plaza Hotel protest site.

4:00:    Begin picketing and organized protest of participants as they 
         check-in at conference.

6:15:    End picketing and organized protest and return to 294 Washington St.

NOTES:
Media is aranged by protest organizers. Participants in the protest are
instructed not to contact media or make statements about the protest to 
any party. Organizers will provide information hand-outs, media briefings,
and picketing signs.

DRESS CODE:
Shirt and tie for men. Pants or skirt/dresses for women.

QUESTIONS/MORE INFORMATION:
Ken @617-646-5325
Internet email: Mark -- [email-masked]

Please feel free to copy this notice and distribute it!

Disclaimers:
All typos are mine.
The views expressed here are solely the opinions of the author, and are
not associated with FREE.

Rainbow V 1.02 for Delphi