Subject: Steinem weighs in on Woody/Mia trial

From: [email-masked] (aaron.l.hoffmeyer)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 06:30:15 GMT

People

By Keith Greenberg

New York -- Feminist *Gloria Steinem* showed up outside the courtroom at
the *Woody Allen/Mia Farrow* custody trial Tuesday.

"I'm showing concern about child sexual abuse, of which this is kind of
typical," she said.

Although she wouldn't say which side she supported, she compared the
trial to cases in which a father demands custody to blur the abuse
allegations against him.  "This is a sexual abuse case," Steinem said.

She said a city caseworker who investigated charges Allen molested his
daughter *Dylan*, 7, had important information and should be heard.
Paul Williams was suspended for allegedly leaking information to the
press.  Allen's lawyer, Elkan Abramowitz, countered that he would
"love" to see Williams testify -- "the guy is lying through his teeth."

But Steinem said it is common to discount women who allege child sex
abuse: "The mother is often turned into the jealous or vindictive woman
and is often disbelieved."

On the stand Tuesday, therapist Susan Coates said Dylan seemed shy and
sad, but she saw no evidence of abuse.

Source: USA Today, March 31, 1993

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
[email-masked] 

P.S.  Yes, but what was Gloria wearing?