Subject: Re: New trial for Mike Tyson

From: [email-masked] (aaron.l.hoffmeyer)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1993 23:35:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] ('kEvin') writes:
>[email-masked] (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) writes:
>
>He also suggested that perhaps the victim had herself raped after
>having sex with Mr. Tyson in order to produce the injuries necessary
>for a successful civil suit. 

This is a pure mis-statement.

I implied something vague.  This is something specific and not the most
probable of the possibilities my vague statement left open.  

>The problem with the extortion defense is that there's no way she can pull
>it off without letting Tyson know, and if he knows, his defense attorney
>can draw the information from him in the trial, which didn't happen.

Yes, and it is apparent that someone in Tyson's camp approached someone
in her camp to make just such a pay-off.  According to Tyson's camp,
they were doing as was requested of them.  According to Washington's
camp, there was no offer to drop the case in exchange for money.
Amazingly, Ms. Washington stated on national TV that she would have
dropped the whole thing if Mikey would have apologized.  Monkeys, flying
and the word "butt" come to mind.

>My question asks why do people go to such lengths to make up possible
>excuses for Tyson based on such compelling evidence? 

We haven't come up with anything that the defense has not put forward.
I know the words "presumed innocent until proven guilty" have no meaning
to you, but such is not the case for all of us.

>[Ok, you've got this
>guy who takes a girl up to his hotel room and fucks her, then she leaves
>and very quickly ceases to be sexually aroused then gets someone she
>knows to fuck her without arousing her so that she has evidence to extort
>money for the guy. -postulated by Mr. Hoffmeyer] Why this level of defense?

Wrong.  I did not postulate what you have stated.  Let me ask you a
sincere question.  If you were a young, attractive, manipulative woman,
and a big, ugly, weird, stupid but very rich black man expressed sexual
interest in you, and you knew that he would simply chew you up and spit
you out (fuck you, then forget he ever knew you), and he did just that,
and you were very upset at him for using you, and you were set on
revenge, how might you go about it?

Or consider this:  Same scenario, but you knew he was going to use you
and you plan to play easy to be had up to the moment, then immediately
turn on the "hard-to-get," "No, I don't wanna anymore" as you lie
underneath this man without any clothes on and after several hours of
heavy petting, and he goes ahead, just as you really wanted him to do,
for evidenciary purposes, then after the act. cry "RAPE!!"    And you
had even told several of your girlfriends before-hand that you were
going to do just that -- and take him to the cleaners.

>I can't say the last scenario didn't happen, but I can say that for people
>who've only followed the case in the papers to present it as true is
>ridiculously ad hoc. Again I ask, why go to these lengths in this case?
>
>Is there a general feeling that anyone who presses rape charges against
>a public figure loses credibility? Maybe people believe Tyson was 
>targeted for being black? Those pesky orbital mind control lasers?
>What? I'm not asking for critiques of the "justice" system, I'm 
>asking why I see all of these apparent gut feelings that Tyson is
>innocent.

There is no apparent gut feeling that Tyson is innocent, there is a
presumption of innocence until proven guilty.  There is definitely
evidence that the two had sex, and that it was rough.  There is also
evidence that she was going to take him to the cleaners before they even
went out.  An objective analysis would reveal evidence of rape and
evidence of planning to accuse of rape to extort.  

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
[email-masked]