Subject: Re: Child Support tax action - UNFAIR!

From: [email-masked] (Lloyd Lindsay)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 96 23:59:28 GMT

On Wed, Mar 6,96, Paul Bennett wrote:
 
> This change in the child support tax rules is grossly unfair.
> 
> Women's groups have complained about dead-beat dads and child poverty,
> so the government decides to give them tax releif for the amount of
> the payments.
> 
> Meanwhile non-custodial parents (NCP), like myself, now must assume
> the burden of increased taxes.
<CUT>

You're right.  The proposed legislation is grossly unfair to the non-custodial 
parent (almost always a MAN) for the following reasons:

1.  The payer (almost always a man) gets no tax deduction - even though he is 
    maintaining TWO households.  At the very least, a parent paying alimony 
    should have the marital tax credit.

2.  The receiver (almost always a woman) pays no tax on the child support money 
    she receives and you must pay it after deducting income tax.

3.  She will receive non-taxable Child Tax Benefits if her income is low.  You 
    don't.

4.  She gets to deduct Child Care Expenses from her taxable income - but you 
    the payer don't.

5.  She gets the Equivalent to Married Income Tax Credit, but you don't - 
    notwithstanding that you are the one paying for the child's support.

6.  Because of the new legislation, the payer (almost always a man) will have 
    to pay substantial legal fees to get the courts to reduce the payments.  
    Otherwise, his additional income taxes will prevent him from making the 
    required support payments.

I agree with your position and sympathize with you.  So I've forwarded your 
original E-mail letter to Preston Manning, leader of the Reform Party - 
Canada's only opposition.       

His E-mail address is: [email-masked]

----
Cheers,

LLOYD LINDSAY - Chartered Accountant
a.k.a. iceman or labish
e-mail: [email-masked]

*********************************************************
It's not what you know or who you know; it's both.
Iceman has spoken.
*********************************************************