Subject: Government Giveaways
From: [email-masked] (Mark Loit)
Date: 25 May 95 21:42:49 GMT
Newsgroups: can.politics,ont.general,tor.general

The following are recent examples of some government grants to
various ethnic groups in the Greater Toronto Area.  (Canada)
As of early 1995.            ********************

Organization                  Federal     Ontario     Metro    Municipal

Afghan Women's Counseling    $265,655    $  6,000   $15,000    $
African Training/Employmt      61,166     120,925    49,111      4,000
Black Secretariat              10,000      12,000    25,000      2,000

Cdn. African Newcomers Cntr   146,750      88,402    48,208     61,766
Cdn. Cambodian Association    159,724      45,000    13,960
Cdn. Caribbean Support Serv    60,000      18,840    22,500        500

Cntr. Spanish Speaking People 249,948     636,492    27,518      8,896
Cntr. Francophone             243,498      66,894    64,515     21,435
Chinese Info/Comm. Services   306,061     289,665    70,224     39,722

Eritrean Cdn. Comm. Centre     99,492      29,617    10,150      9,150
Ethiopian Assoc. of Toronto    82,000      13,448    41,500      8,000
Filipino Services Centre       68,000       5,000    20,000      5,000

Greek Comm. Services of Metro  38,000      70,000    48,788      4,190
Guyana Canadian Association    15,000      30,000    20,000      5,000
Hungarian-Cdn. Comm. Services  14,581                25,000      4,000

Iranian Comm. Assoc. of Tor.  170,600      76,024    39,750     78,925
Jamaican Canadian Assoc        94,919     335,873    23,338
Japanese Family Services       40,000      51,260    14,000

Korean-Cdn. Women's Assoc.     78,000      54,000    27,000      1,000
Lao Assoc. of Toronto          82,999      52,300    13,293
Ntl. Congress of Italian-Cdns   8,700      11,400     1,150 

Oromo-Cdn. Assoc. of Ontario    5,000      15,000    42,500      5,000
Portugese Social Serives Cntr 201,716      97,510    24,195      2,860
Port/Spanish Speaking Women   647,514     169,683    44,046     13,743

Somali-Cdn Assoc. Etobicoke    72,000      36,600    15,000      1,260
South Asian Women's Group     147,220      64,480    21,435      5,940
South African Support/Info     30,000      20,000    20,000     15,000

Tamil-Eelam Society           208,965      42,000    38,982      2,000
Toronto Chinese Services      238,023      75,000    24,000      5,000
Ukranian-Cdn Social Services    1,900      21,150    28,800      7,515

Vietnamese Assoc. of Toronto  155,000      95,000    38,400      4,500
York Hispanic Centre           20,000      40,000    15,000      8,000

This is just the tip of the iceburg.  There are hundreds of such groups
receiving government grants from any or all of the levels of government.

This listing was provided by a local community newspaper,
The Frankford Advertiser, Frankford, Ontario, Canada.
Vol. #40, Issue # 20, Thursday, May 18, 1995.