Subject: "Computers graphic when it comes to porn"

From: [email-masked] (Colin Plumb)
Date: 21 Jul 92 15:33:49 GMT

Here it is, the "genuine article" so to speak.  Reprinted without permission.
-- 
	-Colin

Notes: double paragraph spaces indicate drop caps.  This began on the
bottom of the front page and continued on page 6, which also included a
shot of two people at some terminal-like things I don't recognize
titled "Two students use computers with ability to access Internet
system at the University of toronto's Tobarts Library."  It might be
the computer room in the basement.

There are two articles here, the second is "Network lets users `say
what they think'" Which was also on page 6.  I'm pretty sure all
spelling and grammatical errors (San Franciso, for example) are in the
original, but something may have slipped past me.

The Globe and Mail, Monday, July 20. 1992

=== Beginning
	Computers graphic when it comes to porn

	NETWORK SEX: Is increasingly explicit material on some computer
	bulletin boards free speech, or obscenity?

	BY PETER MOON
	The Globe and Mail
	Toronto

Pornographic photographs and obscene stories dealing with the violent
sexual degradation of women and children are available to virtually
anyone in Canada with a computer and a telephone link.

The stories and photographs can be sent through an international computer
system that was developed initially to exchange information between
academics and scientific researchers.

The system quickly became a vital communications link for the exchange of
academic and scientific information and ideas, which is still its main
purpose.  But in the past 10 years, it has exploded into an interconnected,
worldwide system that appears to have little ability to control the worst of
its content.

The worst includes photographs and stories involving bestiality, sexual
torture, rape and murder.  Defenders of the system say the worst is
only a small part of what is offered and that much of what is offered
is useful discussion about sex.  The fiction, they argue, is more erotic
than obscene.

After complaints by women's groups, two schools - the University of
Manitoba and Simon Fraser University in British Columbia - decided this
summer to stop making the material readily available to students
through their publicly financed computer systems.

The decisions have provoked a debate about freedom of expression and censorship.

Canadian universities enter the computer system that includes the controversial
sex bulletin boards through Internet.

	Please see COMPUTER - A6

	Computer porn prompts outcry

	* From Page A1

The biggest computer network in the world, it links millions of people
through more than 750,000 "host" connections.  For the past two years
the number of users has been growing at a rate of 20 per cent a month,
according to California's Stanford Research Institute.

The system is becoming increasingly available at non-academic places of
work and through private companies which, for relatively modest fees,
make access available to the public.  Once in the system, users can
post messages, articles or stories that are available to anyone.  They
can also communicate privately by E, or electronic, mail.

Some computer groups on Internet, primarily the academic and
scientific, have a voluntary system of modified censorship.  Others
have none at all.

Major subject groupings, known as news groups, deal with academic and
scientific subjects, computing, discussions of a social or cultural
nature and current affairs.  The alternate news groups, many of which
have no controls, deal with subjects ranging from hobbies to sexual
lifestyles, illegal drugs and racism.

The content of the alternate groups includes serious discussion and
exchanges of advice and information.  There are attempts at humour, and
more personal opinion than some people have the time to get through.
There is a lot of writing about sex, some of it serious, some of it
helpful, some of it of questionable taste, and a small part of it
obscene by virtually any definition.

"Well, if this one doesn't get us all shut down, probably nothing will,"
bragged the anonymous author of a graphic story about the sexual violation
of a 12-year-old girl before posting the tale on one of the uncensored
alternate news groups called "alt.sex.bondage."

(Alt. is an abbreviation for alternate, which warns a reader that the news
group is in the unregulated part of Internet.  Sex and bondage describe
the group's subject matter.)

Alt.sex.bondage and others like it continue to thrive because, like
some kind of headless science-fiction monster, they appear to have a
self-generating life of their own a complex system that has no central
control but is connected by hundreds of thousands of computers linked
by long-distance, high-capacity lines leased from telephone companies.

The sex news groups are phenomenally popular.

A survey by DEC Network Systems Laboratory, of Palo Alto, Calif., of more
than 1,500 news groups found that in April three of the sex bulletin
boards were among the 10 most looked at in the world.

A group called alt.sex ranked first.  Alt.sex.bondage came fifth and
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica, which distributes erotic and obscene
pictures, was 10th with 130,000 viewers.

	[Chart: INTERNET GROWTH
		Internet hosts (in thousands)
		'81..'92, topping out at about 720,000
		Source: Stanford Research Institute]

Among the pictures moved recently was a photograph of a woman having
sexual intercourse with a dog.  The photo left nothing to the imagination.

It was one of several photographs and fictionalized accounts of sexual
violence to women that ended up last May on the desk of Inspector Ray
Johns, head of the Winnipeg Police vice squad.  The stories involved
rape, bestiality, incest, involuntary bondage and the torture of women.

"There is no doubt in my mind that some of it contravened the obscenity
sections of the Criminal Code," Insp. Johns said in an interview.  "Our
concern was that it could prompt somebody to act out their fantasy in
real life."

The material had been gathered by a women's group at the University of
Manitobs, where students were reading and viewing it through Internet.

The university administration promptly cut off access to several of Interet's
sex groups and now no one at the university can use them.

"The police have said, without question, that some of this is criminal and
I agree with them," said Terry Falconer, the university's vice-president
of administration.

He conceded that simply because the university had cut off access did not
mean that students would not be able to connect to the sex groups.  "I think
anybody who's got any moxie can probably get in, using our network, and get
access from, say, the University of Toronto.  If they do that, they do it.
But we are not going to help them," Mr. Falconer said.

Danishka Esterhazy, a student women's-centre worker, said many women found
the material threatening, particularly at a time when there were a number
of reported sexual assaults on the university campus.

She said a female student could walk into a computer laboratory and find
a picture of a woman being raped on the computer screen next to her, hear
male students laughing as they read about a woman being tortured, or be
forced to wait at a computer printer while a male student got a printout
of an obscene photograph of a woman.

"The universities are paying to supply this service," Ms. Esterhazy said.
"So, financially, they are setting themselves up as porn distributors for
their students

"I don't think anyone has a problem with bulletin boards on sex issues.  There
are bulletin boards for incest victims, for example, and no one has any
problem with any of that.

"It's the material that's degrading to women.  It's just a form of sexual
harassment, really, because a woman goes to a university and she turns on
a computer and is surrounded by images that say, very clearly, she's not
welcome there and that she's threatened."

Most universities, she said, have codes of behaviour that prevent anyone
from placing a centrefold from

	=========================================
	`Our main concern is keeping the little
	seven-year-old eyes away from that crap.'
	=========================================

Playboy, Penthouse or Hustler magazines on an office wall or workplace.
The display of obscene materials from the Internet's sex groups is equally
offensive and potentially threatening to women, she said.

Everyone interviewed for this article, including people who are adamantly
opposed to any kind of censorship, were critical about the behaviour of
the male students at the University of Manitoba.

"They were forcing it upon people who didn't want to read it or see
it," said Colin Plumb, a graduate student at the University of Toronto
and a contributor to alt.sex.bondage.  "That's just plain rude; rude
and inconsiderate enough to warrant some enforcement against doing it.
I've never seen it here at U of T.  At private companies, I've seen it
occasionally; people calling out hey, come and look at this."

The University of Manitoba decision to cut off the sex groups was quickly
followed at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C.

"I said it was not an issue of censorship," said Lionel Tolan, Simon 
Fraser's director of academic computer services.  "We are a publicly
funded institution here.  We have an outreach program through our 
faculty of education which provides access to our computers and to 
Internet to schools in the province.  There is an enormous push in 
B.C. to get more kinds on the Internet as a training tool.  They don't 
need access to this part of the Internet."

Mr. Tolan said the decision to stop access to the sex groups of Internet 
"seemed timely" because of the growing protests of women's groups, the 
fact that public funds supported the university's computer operations, 
and because the university made Internet available to schools in British 
Columbia.

"It's the same as if somebody wants Playboy or Penthouse.  We don't 
have them in the university library.  If somebody wants them they can go 
to a bookstore and buy them.  Anybody wants access to the sex groups 
on the Internet, they can buy access through a local company."

One commercial seller of access to Internet is Canada Remote Systems of
Mississauga, Ont., which sells a year's access for as little as $99.  
But it carefully segregates what it calls "the largest collection of 
adult-related material in Canada" and sells a year's access to it for 
$49.

Subscribers must provide the company with proof that they are 18 or older
and sign an acknowledgement that they have been informed about the 
explicit nature of the material.

"Our main concern is keeping the little seven-year-old eyes away from 
that crap," said Neil Fleming, president of Canada Remote Systems.

"Rather than us trying to censor the material by our standards we let 
the users censor the material.  So the users draw the line.  If any 
complaint is received about any adult file, the offending item is 
removed.  We won't remove it all, but we will remove a specific item."

He said that there are two or three complaints a month.  About a year 
ago, he said, Project P, a joint anti-pornography squad operated by the 
Ontario Provincial Police and the Metropolitan Provincial Police, asked 
him to remove an offensive picture from a file.

Detective-Constable Patricia MacVicar, an OPP member of Project P, said 
that while there have been few public complaints, there is a growing 
concern and awareness in police circles about the sex groups.  She said

	=====================================================
	`Nobody condones the small portion that goes over
	the network that is really offensive and disgusting.'
	=====================================================

she monitors them and is consulting with the Crown attorney about the 
possibility of laying a criminal charge involving them for the first
time in Canada.

"There's no doubt there is obscenity, but it's difficult to prove," she 
said.

Universities in both Canada and the United States shy away from 
censoring access to news groups that cause offence.

"Some university sites in other locations," said a recent policy paper 
by the Iowa State University computation centre, "have already come 
under internal and external criticism for the use of state and federal 
funds to store and distribute items which are alleged either to be
illegal or objectionable.

"[The network's] news groups present a new form of `openness,' both in 
access and in collection.  University computer access may extend further 
into the public in the immediate future with ever-expanding network 
access.  Assumptions that access is limited to adults (students, staff 
or faculty) may no longer be valid.

"This new medium provides users the ability to voluntarily read and 
submit anything they want in a relatively uncensored and anonymous 
atmosphere.  What is posted anywhere on the worldwide network can result 
in Iowa State `acquiring' that posting."

Iowa State decided it would not restrict access to networks, but set up 
a program to warn users about material they might find offensive.

In 1988, the University of Waterloo became embroiled in a campus 
controversy when it banned access to a network humour group because of 
racist jokes.  The university subsequently banned access to both the 
humour group and to alt.sex.bondage because of a few complaints.

"It caused an incredible amount of commotion," said Alan George, the 
university's provost and vice-president, academics.

A university committee subsequently decided the university should not 
interfere with access to any of the Internet news groups and left it to 
users to deal themselves with the sources of any offending material.

"Nobody condones the small portion that goes over the network that is 
racist and really offensive and disgusting to people," Mr. George said.
"But how do you deal with it without infringing on people's freedom of 
speech and expression?

"Our view is we will place the responsibility for transmitting obscene 
material squarely where it belongs, namely, with the person who produces 
it.  And to the extent that we can, we will deal with the purveyors of 
such material in response to objections.

"It isn't that we won't do more.  It's just that as a practical matter 
it doesn't make sense."

	Network lets users `say what they think'

	BY PETER MOON
	The Globe and Mail

TORONTO - Evan Leibovitch considers himself a responsible and concerned 
member of his community.

He's 36, married, and the father of two children.  He's active in his 
synagogue and he and his wife run their own computer consulting company 
from their home in Brampton, Ont.

He's also the founder and unpaid moderator of "rec.arts.erotica," a sex 
news group, or bulletin board, on Internet, an international computer 
network read daily by millions of people worldwide.

Internet's main purpose is to exchange academic and scientific 
information, but in recent years its content has expanded to include 
groups that deal with a wide range of subjects, including non-mainstream 
sex and obscenity - a trend that has led to growing criticism.

"Part of me understands the complaint because some of the stuff that 
comes over the network is truly offensive," Mr. Leibovitch said in an 
interview.

His news group deals with sex but in a responsible way, he said.  
Nothing gets posted on it until it has his approval.  "There is a policy 
of nothing non-consensual," he said.

But like may avid readers of Internet, Mr., Leibovitch supports making 
it widely available and allowing it to continue, both the parts that are 
regulated for content, such as his own group, and the controversial 
parts that are uncensored.

"In some ways it's a wonderful medium," he said "because it really, 
really encourages people to say what they think, no matter how awful it 
can be. . . .Not all the discussion is about sex.  There's a neo-Nazi 
group, for example, trying to get a group started called Holocaust 
Revisionism.  There's a lot of opposition.  But it's a free medium.

"Why does everybody complain about the sex stuff when there's 
homophobia, ethnic slurs and some other pretty awful stuff?  What's 
wonderful about it is the open discussion without anyone filtering your 
ideas.  It's better than any newspaper."

Colin Plumb, 23, a graduate engineering student at the University of 
Toronto, is a frequent contributor to an uncensored news group called 
"Alt.sex.bondage."  His contributions have included discussions about 
sex and sex censorship as well as sex fiction.  Of all the material on 
Internet, only a small amount involves the uncensored sex groups, he 
said, and "of that a small fraction is stories that are extreme in some 
way or another.  I would say they come along at a rate of one a month, 
maybe."

Jean (Muffy) Barocky, 26, a computer programmer who lives in San 
Franciso, is a frequent contributor to the uncontrolled alt.sex.bondage 
group.  She is one of three female moderators who control what gets onto 
soc.feminism, a regulated Internet news group dealing with women's 
issues.

Ms. Barocky said she is not comfortable with all the material that is 
posted on alt.sex.bondage, but said she does not have to read anything 
she finds offensive.

"But I do find things that are interesting and informative," she said.  
"Ice, for example.  The various things you can do with ice.  I find it a 
lot of fun and so does my boy friend.  You know, we just like the 
sensation of ice in various places.  We started using it because of the 
news group."

Stella Calvert, 43, a Sunnyvale, Calif., housewife, is another 
contributor to alt.sex.bondage.  She writes about sado-masochism and sex 
issues.

"The freedom of the press belongs to him as owns one, right?" she said.  
"With a computer network anybody who has a computer and a modem and a 
telephone line has as much power to put their ideas out as Rupert 
Murdoch."

For those who want to post their ideas and fiction without identifying 
themselves there are free services such as Wizvax, operated by 
Stephanie Gilgut, a computer consultant in Methuen, Mass.

A person can send an article to Wizvax by electronic mail.  Ms Gilgut's 
computer strips it of all identifiers, provides a pseudonym, and sends 
it on to the news group.  If readers want to communicate with the 
anonymous author they can send messages by E-mail to Wizvax, where Ms. 
Gilgut's computer forwards it to the author.

"I wanted to post something in the bondage group without saying who I 
was and I came up with the idea of a posting service on my machine and 
it kind of took off," Ms. Gilgut said.  "People could possibly be fired 
over something as controversial as the bondage news group.  So it serves 
a good purpose.

"A lot of people think they are sick when they start having bondage, 
sado-masochistic fantasies.  Who can you talk to about that?  My service 
gives then an opportunity to realize there are other people in the world 
like them, and they are not really sick, just different."
=== End