Subject: [Republicans] On Pornography

From: [email-masked] (Elf Sternberg)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1992 07:14:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
     [email-masked] (Carl M. Kadie) writes:

[ Quoting the Republican Platform]

>But if hard- core pornography does not cheapen the human spirit, then
>neither does Shakespeare elevate it.

   But what is The Republican Party that it should feel the right to
dictate what someone does with their "spirit," a concept the United
States Government doesn't even recognize?

>especially since the Commission on Pornography, in 1986, found a
>direct link between pornography and violent crimes committed against
>women and children.

   The Commission found no such link.  In fact, their statement on the
matter concludes: "Even though no visible link between pornography and
violence was demonstrable in the material presented, COMMON SENSE
DICTATES that there is a link, yet to be found."  (Emphasis Mine).
"Common sense."  Horseshit.

   We must remember that the Commission on Pornography was the laughing
stock of ever major newspaper in the country, that it was given, in
numerical dollars, just 7% of what the 1972 Commission of Pornography
was given ($780,000 vs $11 million), and that the 1972 Comission on
Pornography recommended _the decriminialization of pornography_ because
no such link between pornography and violence could be demonstrated
then, either!  Of course, the Republicans through out that Comission's
work, too...

>However, no
>artist has an inherent right to claim taxpayer support for his or her
>private vision of art if that vision mocks the moral and spiritual
>basis on which our society is founded.

   "Art provides the people of the state with a moral guidance and
direction of purpose.  No artist should be allowed to exhibit his works
in our libraries, museums, and public squares, if they do not extoll
and support the virtues of The Fatherland."  - Adolph Hitler.

            Elf !!!

<> Only utopian liberals could be surprised that the Nazis were art
<> connoisseurs.  -- Camille Paglia

-- 
Elf Sternberg    __   |     I have looked into the abyss, and the abyss
[email-masked]  \/   | has looked into me.  Neither liked what we saw.
[email-masked] |                              - Brother Theodore