Subject: Do the police have Fabrikant's postings?

From: [email-masked] (P. Hawthorne)
Date: 25 Aug 92 21:19:31 GMT

The events that have unfolded before us are stunning, and I would prefer to
get over the ersatz trauma of having followed the thread to it's horrible
conclusion, but I feel compelled to ask: Do the police have copies of his
recent posts here? I mean, are we sure that they've been handed over?

Bizarre. News is an abstract involvement in an untangible world, an almost
prosthetic existence with little or no impact on physical reality. To have
seen the posts the Fabrikant made before us all, followed by such physical
and evil acts, is really disturbing. 

I sided with him, totally. I believed his evidence. Now that I hear what
he's done... Should we have done something right away, like notifying some
authority, after seeing the parts of the posts where he talks about fearing
for his life and being willing to die? I'd really like to get my mind off
the subject, but it's a sticky one.

Theus ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 92 02:35:07 GMT

>recent posts here? I mean, are we sure that they've been handed over?

Yes.  They went through some VAX VMS system in between - a printout
was shown on the news, and I could make out SOME header information.
Presumably somebody at the computing centre at Concordia passed it on.

>and evil acts, is really disturbing. 

Definitely a shock.

>the subject, but it's a sticky one.

Even after hearing the news of the shootings, I tend to believe that
the information that he posted is _in part_ correct.  I doubt that he
could make up the letters by faculty without the whole train of
evidence getting terribly convoluted/internally contradictory.  I
wouldn't be surprised if the chain of letters were actually sent by
the various parties.  The conclusions that he reaches are certainly
questionable.

-- 
Christopher Browne
[email-masked]
University of Ottawa
Master of System Science Program