Subject: Concordia shootings

From: [email-masked] (Robert Robson)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1992 03:54:56 GMT

The tragic events in Montreal point to the incredible pressure
many academics are under.  Fabrikant made many accusations, which
unprovable, remind us of things we all have witnessed.  As a
result, I believe that at least some of his accusations are true.

While I do not believe Fabrikant was in his right mind, he might
never have gone over the edge without the treatment he received.
Rather than just writing him off as "another nut" the academic
community should take the opportunity to examine its practices.
Perhaps some good could come of this so that Fabrikant's victims
will not have died in vain.

The media has compared this case to the last shooting in Montreal
of the women at Ecole Polytechnique.  This bothers me, since this
was a (temporarily?) insane disgruntled employee rather than just
someone with a desire to kill women.  I think comparisons with
other disgruntled employees who have gone gunning for
bosses/co-workers would be more apt.  All of us would like to
know the true story and this would be a great opportunity for
some investigative journalism.