Subject: Re: EFF Wants You (to add your voice to the crypto fight!)

From: Gill Winograd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 1994 00:35:06 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Ian R. Ameline,
[email-masked] writes:

Quoting Dorothy Demming:

>>     Mr. Rotenberg said "We want the public to understand the full
>>     implications of this plan.  Today it is only a few experts and
>>     industry groups that understand the proposal. 
>>
>>I support this objective.  Unfortunately, it is not possible for most
of us 
>> to be fully informed of the national security implications of
uncontrolled
>>encryption.  For very legitimate reasons, these cannot be fully
discussed 
>>and debated in a public forum.  It is even difficult to talk about the
full
>>implications of encryption on law enforcement.

It is clear why the NSA chose Ms. Demming to rubberstamp their proposal.
If only persons approved by NSA can discuss the issues, and only they can
have a "worthwhile and informed" opinion, why bother? Just let NSA set
policy directly without the sham.

Gill Winograd               | "L!accent du pays o! l!on est n! demeure 
[email-masked]               | dans l!esprit et dans le coeur, comme
Los Angeles, California     | dans le langage."
                            |      - La Rochefoucauld