Subject: Summary Fri 4/23/93

From: [email-masked] (John Switzer)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1993 22:57:30 GMT

Unofficial Summary of the Rush Limbaugh Show

for Friday, April 23, 1993

by John Switzer

This unofficial summary is copyright (c) 1993 by John Switzer.
All Rights Reserved. These summaries are distributed on
CompuServe and the Internet, and archived on CompuServe and
Internet (cathouse.aiss.uiuc.edu). Distribution to other
electronic forums and bulletin boards is highly encouraged.
Spelling and other corrections gratefully received.

Please read the standard disclaimer which was included with the
first summary for this month. In particular, please note that
this summary is not approved or sanctioned by Rush Limbaugh or
the EIB network, nor do I have any connection with them other as
a daily listener.

******************************************************************

April 23, 1993

LIMBAUGH WATCH

April 23, 1993 - It's now day 94 of "America Held Hostage" (aka
the "Raw Deal") and 172 days after Bill Clinton's election, but
Rush is still on the air with 594 radio affiliates (with over 15
million listeners weekly) and 207 TV affiliates (with a 4.0
rating). His first book has been on the NY Times hardback
non-fiction best-seller list for 32 consecutive weeks, with 2.5
million copies sold, and his newsletter has over 250,000
subscribers. However "The Way Things Ought To Be" has fallen to
the number eight spot on the LA Times best-seller list. Confused
Limbaugh Watchers anxiously await future indications of whether
there is any place for Rush Limbaugh in Clinton's America.

MORNING UPDATE

Yesterday was Earth Day, and someone who watched all the TV shows
about it would have had to come away with the feeling that the
planet is doomed. Nickelodeon ran "Plan It for the Planet," which
portrayed Earth as a goner unless drastic action is taken now;
HBO ran "Earth and the American Dream" which claims that white
guys are destroying the planet while Native Americans are the
only ones who are doing anything good; and CBS is running a
two-parter titled "The Fire Next Time."

"The Fire Next Time" is set in the not too distant future, and
shows America as a nation beset with dying forests, dried-up
rivers, and shrinking beaches. An epidemic of skin cancer is
being caused by ozone depletion, and all of these evils are
portrayed as the result of white men coming to America to pursue
the American dream.

"This is really poisonous stuff," Rush notes. He adds that Steven
Scheider, an atmospheric scientists, was a consultant to "The
Fire Next Time." Scheider was quoted in 1989, however, as saying:

"To get some broadbased support to capture the public's
imagination, we have to offer up scary scenarios, make
simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any
doubts we have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance
is between being effective and being honest."

This guy who urges lying to the public and creating needless
scares and panics is, by the way, a source in Algore's book
"Earth in the Balance," a book Rush terms a "magnificent work of
fiction." Rush begs his audience not to get depressed, though,
because he is still around to bring truth to this matter. "All
you need to remember," he concludes, "is that the environment is
getting better. But never, ever, ever trust a draft dodger."

FIRST HOUR

Items

o	Rush is proud to have a new title: "Doctor of Democracy."
Doctor of Phoneology <<not to be confused with "Phonology">> Bo
Snerdley, however, is just as proud of his title.

o	Rush would like to once again give his audience "one big
attaboy" since not only is EIB the most listened-to radio show in
Los Angeles, but also in San Francisco, where EIB has a 12 share
in its second hour. EIB has similar successes in Philadelphia,
Chicago, Detroit, New York City, San Diego, and many other
cities. He thanks all of his listeners for making this possible.

Update Mario Cuomo (Screamin' Jay Hawkins, "I Put a Spell on
You")

This update is related to the speech made last week by Senator
Daniel Patrick Moynihan who blamed the current regime of New York
City for the cultural problems the city faces. Governor Cuomo,
who is a friend of Moynihan, has now joined forces with David
Dinkins in attacking Moynihan for criticizing New York. Cuomo
says that the "cultural breakdowns" which Moynihan referred to
"could easily describe government in Washington. Wasn't it family
values which went wacky on the Potomac?" Cuomo then said the city
of Washington, DC was a worse place to live in than NYC.

Thus, Cuomo is not only blaming a Democratic Senator for his
state's problems, but is also criticizing another
Democratically-run city. Rush admits he loves seeing two
Democrats debate which of their cities is the worse.

Update Gay Community (Klaus Naomi, "You Don't Know Me")

The gay community's massive march in Washington, DC will be
happening this weekend, and Rush has a list of the events which
have been scheduled. Among the 300 events scheduled are:

o	An S&M leather party

o	The Lebutant Ball at the National Press Club put on by NOW

o	A romantic midnight cruise on the Potomac on the cruise ship "Dandy"

o	A mass wedding demonstration for couples' rights at the IRS building

o	"Hands Around the Capitol Building" protest for more AIDS funding

o	The Dyke March in Dupont Circle

o	A drag show on the Mall

Rush adds that he's also heard the gays may paint the Washington
Monument pink, but this is unconfirmed.

*BREAK*

Rush says many Americans are having their eyes opened about the
truth about Bill Clinton. The news media, however, has been
bombarding the public with news about the "heartless" Republican
filibuster of Clinton's "jobs bill," but Rush still supports what
the Republicans did. He promises to continue airing the truth
about this, but says people should be heartened by how many
high-ranking Democrats are starting to be very troubled by
Clinton's inability to get things done.

Rush had thought Bill Clinton was a policy wonk, but he was
wrong. Clinton's administration is aimlessly wandering through
the jungle of legislation because Clinton is a "politics wonk,"
not a policy wonk. Clinton knows how to play the political game
and how to campaign, but not how to govern and get things done.

The Clinton administration is more concerned about having the
"right" sort of diversity among its members than it is about
getting its policies through. The "gridlock" which is happening
on Congress can't be laid on the shoulders of the Republicans
because many of the moderate Democrats, who once believed Clinton
was a "new Democrat," are now upset that Clinton has turned out
to be the same old liberal that the Democratic Leadership Council
was founded to defeat.

Rush recalls the political cartoon that showed a working class
man holding a cigarette and beer wearing a T-shirt emblazoned
with a giant target. The Clinton administration has targeted poor
guys like this because those in that administration are convinced
this man is a sinner and deserves to be taxed more. The latest
excuse is that smokers and drinkers by virtue of their activities
put a greater strain on the health care system, and thus should
pay more.

Rush, however, can think of a lot of behaviors, which are now
being called "rights," which raise health care costs far more
than drinking or smoking. Clinton, though, wants to raise taxes
only on beer and cigarettes, and he's got a lot of support from
people who think that this is just a fair and equitable thing to
do.

The real world, though, has some surprises in store for these
people. Anheuser-Busch is threatening to close their brewery in
St. Louis if Clinton does indeed raise taxes on beer. The company
says that the added taxes would force it to close one of its
breweries, so why not its biggest one? In the real world when
government makes it tougher for businesses to do business,
companies will respond to cut their losses.

Rush also recalls that the federal deficit will be smaller than
expected because of economic growth. Clinton, though, used the
excuse of a higher deficit last year as the justification for
higher taxes. Since the deficit is going to be lower, though,
shouldn't Clinton follow this same linear logic and cut taxes?

The Democrats are in a panic mode about things, and Rush plays a
quote from Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV), who said the following
Wednesday when the Senate killed Clinton's "jobs bill":

"So while the champaign corks are popping on the other side of
the aisle tonight, billions [sic] of Americans will open a can of
beans and a box of soda crackers, and wonder where they're going
to find a job."

Rush is surprised to learn that there are "billions" of
Americans, but suggests that these Americans can find a job in
the same place they always have - in companies. They certainly
won't find any jobs on the floor of the Senate. However, if
Senator Byrd is so worried that Americans will be eating a lot
more beans now, then he should do what Congress always does in
this sort of situation - tax beans.

*BREAK*

Rush replays the quote from Senator Byrd and notes it's the same
old scare tactics that the Democrats love to use. At least,
though, it's better for Americans to open a can of beans than one
of pork. Rush has to laugh at the spectacle of panic-filled
Democrats, who were the ones who won last November. First,
Clinton claims Republicans are holding children hostage, then
Senator Mitchell warns that cities will burn if Clinton's bill
isn't passed, and now Byrd talks about billions of Americans
eating beans.

"Where has civility and responsibility gone?" asks Rush, who
notes that if these were Republicans making these statements,
they'd be front page news and lead items on the TV news. EIB,
though, has to scour the cutting room floor to find these amazing
things.

Phone	Phil from Kalamazoo, MI

Phil watched "Earth and the American Dream" last night, and he
was disappointed because 1) it was really boring and 2) had a lot
of actors he really liked doing narrations. They also showed
pictures of starving Ethiopians and the damage caused at
Chernobyl, as if these were the fault of Americans.

Rush says that the militant environmental socialists would indeed
claim that these tragedies happened because of an unequal
distribution of the world's wealth. The real problem, though, is
not the distribution of wealth, but the unequal distribution of
capitalism. Capitalism has made the US the most successful nation
on the Earth and the nation which feeds the world.

Rush's TV show last night was devoted to Earth Day and the idiocy
which is going along with it. Rush urges those in his audience
who have "The Way Things Ought to Be" (still on sale) to reread
the chapter on the environment, and they'll learn how the
militant environmentalist movement is the new home for world
socialism.

On his show, Rush played numerous clips of celebrities blaming
America for the world's problems, with Lindsay Wagner even
theorizing that maybe the American dream should be redefined.
America, though, does more for the environment than anyone else,
and it's because of capitalism. Capitalism is why America has
more trees now than 70 or 170 years ago. Capitalism and its
profit motive give people a reason for taking care of trees and
replanting them.

Rush doesn't suggest that there aren't problems or messes to be
cleaned up, but the environment can't be helped by attacking
prosperity and promoting disincentives against the American
lifestyle. Some activists would love to see people return to the
era of mud huts and straw floors, but this is absurd.

The environmentalists don't let facts get in their way. When the
Space Shuttle's measurements of the ozone layer discovered that
ozone depletion was "shockingly low," everyone was convinced that
those measurements couldn't be right. The truth, though, is that
if there are reduced levels of ozone in the stratosphere, the
blame can be placed only on the eruptions of Mount Pinatubo.

Man's CFCs and spray cans can't be responsible for fluctuating
ozone levels, which are natural changes that have been occurring
for decades. Volcanoes have been around for eons, and Mount
Pinatubo's eruption was a "puny" one by some standards, but it
still was able to reduce the world's temperatures a degree or so
and cause a minor depletion of the ozone. The Earth, though, is
remarkably rejuvenative and has recovered from Pinatubo, just as
it has recovered from the thousands upon thousands of eruptions
which have occurred for eons.

The environmentalists want people to believe that America is
ignoring the "warning signs" and is destroying the planet. This
is not true, and in fact an AP story on this has the following
paragraph buried within it:

"It is theorized that the unusually low readings might have been
caused in some part by the huge 1991 eruption of a Philippine
volcano."

Rush points out that Mount Pinatubo destroyed two US military
bases, yet its effects are basically ignored by people who think
mankind is far more powerful than the forces of nature. Phil says
that what bothers him is that these actors are attacking what has
made them successful and rich, and he has to wonder if they
possibly think they will be the elite when a socialist system is
established.

Rush says that this is the myth believed by all of the
intellectuals and artists who support Communism. Vladimir Posner,
though, can testify as to what happens under socialism - he had
to leave the Soviet Union because his freedom of speech was taken
away from him. This is also why so many Soviet artists defected,
because they wanted the freedoms that socialism denied them.

Rush is convinced that actors in general have a burning need to
be taken seriously for who they really are and not just the roles
they play. This desire, coupled with the guilt many of them feel
for being rich and successful, pushes them into activist causes.

These actors think they are actually doing something worthwhile,
and because the media wants to stay on these celebrities' good
sides, the press never challenges them or their opinions. They
thus become "experts" and sometimes even testify before Senate
committees; Jessica Lange once played a farmer's wife, and so
testified before Congress on the plight of women farmers. Rush
wonders if Willie Nelson will be the next to testify, perhaps on
US tax policy.

*BREAK*

Phone	Mary from Laredo, TX

Mary asks why nobody asks President Clinton what kind of jobs his
"jobs bill" will create - are they long-term, short-term, minimum
wage, or what? Rush says this is a good question, but the press
is not really concerned about this because Clinton's bill is just
politics as usual to them. Clinton's stimulus bill will create
jobs, but they are make-work, low-paying jobs which will
nevertheless cost $90,000 each.

The press, however, has seen all this before; it knows that the
Democratic party typically spends big money like this to help out
its mayors and other politicians. What's at stake here, though,
is not if jobs will be created, because they will, but rather
where jobs should be created in the first place - in the private
sector or by government.

President Clinton has shown himself to be no different than those
liberal Democrats who think that government should create jobs so
that they can by votes and be reelected. Mary understands this,
but is worried that the word isn't getting out about the true
nature of these jobs. Rush says that Mary shouldn't be too
concerned about this because the Senate just got back from a
two-week recess during which they heard no complaints about the
Senate filibuster; no constituents were complaining about the
stall of the "jobs bill." Also, Clinton's approval rating is
dropping.

People should therefore remain confident and not worry so much
about what the press is reporting. Sometimes the press can con
the people into believing the Democratic side of things, but
right now the people seem to already know what the realities are.

*BREAK*

Rush says that many EIB affiliates will undoubtedly preempt his
show because they'll be carrying Clinton's press conference next
hour, but Rush is not going to worry about this. He'll still do
his best stuff because "I'm not going to allow this President to
adversely affect this show. I'm not going to sit here and do a
mediocre job while waiting for him to finish."

New York listeners, who already have suffered under many
preemptions because of the baseball season, won't have to worry
about being preempted because WABC is not going to carry the
President's press conference. Operations Director John Minelli
has promised not to air Clinton's press conference because, after
all, "what possibly new could we learn?"

*BREAK*

SECOND HOUR

Rush is thinking of actually holding a two-week "summer camp"
version of the Limbaugh Institute. It could do a course on the
Federalist Papers perhaps and be someplace Rush would like to
spend two weeks. He promises to consider this possibility some
more.

Update Sexual Harassment (Frankie Vallie, "My Eyes Adored You")

Rush sings along with the update theme, making up new words as he
goes. He impresses himself with his improvisational lyric-writing
capabilities and orders his staff to write down his new words as
he sings them. <<I'd do it, but some things are beyond even my
capabilities>> There are two items to this update:

o	Fitness guru Richard Simmons has been sued for sexual
harassment by a former employee of the QVC network, Laurie
Pastor. Pastor claims when Simmons was at the network offices in
1991 to sell his workout clothing and equipment he made "lewd,
lecherous, lascivious, and wanton remarks" to her. She thus wants
at least $150,000 in damages. Rush wonders how much Simmons paid
Pastor to make this complaint.

o	The University of Virginia faculty has endorsed a ban on sex
between teachers and students they teach or supervise.
Originally, the ban would have prohibited sex between teachers
and any students, but the teachers complained that this would be
"an unconstitutional limit on love." The ACLU joined the
teachers, saying that banning all sex between consenting adults
is a violation of the constitutional right to privacy.

Rush wonders when love entered the sexual harassment scene, but
is glad there will be no "unconstitutional limit on love."

********

Rush replays Senator Byrd's comment about "billions of Americans"
because he wants to stress how Democratic party leaders are
starting to have doubts about the Clinton administration's
ability to get anything done. Rush thinks that there is a lot of
good news in this, and notes that whenever he sees the press
report about the "jobs bill" or "stimulus package" these words
are always in quotes. Thus, doubts have been raised as to the
true intent of Clinton's bill.

The NY Post has some more good news about how Clinton may retreat
from his $21 billion business investment tax credit. Dee Dee
Myers said that "we are looking at it. We are not ruling it in.
We are not ruling it out." The Washington Post says that the
Republicans' "mauling" of Clinton's bill has "angered, alarmed,
and frustrated" some of Clinton's most loyal supporters in
Congress, and has slowed his momentum and reduced his support.

NY Newsday has the headline "Little Pain in Loss of Stimulus
Plan," and the accompanying story reports that the stimulus bill
would not have done much good for the US economy. However, the
story warns that a rejection of Clinton's deficit reduction bill
would "come back to haunt the economy."

Earl Caldwell in the NY Daily News writes that the Clinton
"dream" is now over because of what happened in Waco. Janet Reno
and President Clinton both "seemed to rush to accept
responsibility" for what happened in Waco, with Reno saying "the
buck stops with me." (Rush thinks that a clip of Reno saying this
would make for a winning GOP political ad in 1994.)

Caldwell then says that Reno and Clinton didn't go far enough -
"they don't have to claim responsibility, they are responsible.
What they need to tell is another story." Caldwell thinks that
the Clinton administration has to explain why it acted with "such
a callous disregard for human life." Rush thus is encouraged by
all this because these are all Democrats talking and criticizing
Clinton.

*BREAK*

Rush will be interviewing Charles Barkley this afternoon; the
interview will appear in the June issue of the Limbaugh Letter.
Rush thinks people will be surprised at what this man has to say.
Rush saw last night's game, and was impressed by how seven points
were scored in the last few seconds. The winning basket was
lobbed in by Barkley during the last half second, and this was
Barkley's first game back after being injured on the team bus.

Phone	Mary from Piscataway, NJ

Mary would like Rush to call her son in Indianapolis to wish him
a happy birthday and to tell him that his present will be a
subscription to the Limbaugh Letter. Rush asks if the
subscription is one year or two; Mary replies it was for only one
year, and Rush points out that she could have saved $11 by
getting the two-year subscription. EIB doesn't advertise this
fact, but "when you call the 800 number, the eager-beaver
salespeople are supposed to force - uh, offer, the option of a
two year subscription to you."

Rush says he'll call Mary's son, and Mary starts to give out his
number on the air. Rush shouts her down, and tells his staff to
get the number and call the guy.

Phone	Denise from Lowell, MI

Denise has a poem which she thinks expresses the viewpoint of
millions of thinking women across America:

Intellectual Fantasies

"My sin is never-ending,
My shame is so profound.
Too much time with you I'm spending
While to another I'm bound."

"I curse my own dependence,
My addiction will not cease.
Every day I have to tune in, noon to three, to find release."

"You're the master of the airwaves,
Commentator nonpareil.
Rush, I need you, need you, need you,
'Cause I think as well as feel."

"So I try, I cannot stop it,
Somehow, someway I'll be resigned.
While I'm married to another, I'll be lusting for your mind."

Rush thinks this is very sweet, but "sadly so true." While he was
signing books during last night's TV show, a woman told him she
had an erotic dream about him last night. Rush asked for details
and she replied "we had dinner together." Denise says Rush is the
"sex symbol of the thinking women of America," and Rush thanks
her for calling in with her thoughts and poetry.

*BREAK*

Phone	Jeannette from Chattanooga, TN

Jeannette asks Rush about Thomas Sowell's latest book, "Inside
American Education." Sowell writes that the American public
school system should be junked and a new system built up. She
wants to know if this is possible. Rush says that this would be a
major reform program which would require a great deal of parental
involvement at the grass roots level.

This, though, is already happening, and Rush thinks Sowell may
have tapped into a new movement in America - in New York, for
example, parents are actually daring to say they want to be on
the local school boards. Rush suspects that things like this will
happen more and more as liberal curriculums such as those
introduced in NYC show up across the country.

Rush is honored to know Sowell, who is an incredibly intelligent
and insightful man. Jeannette says that she thinks of him the
same way, but it appears that his book is being boycotted by the
establishment. Rush says this is very true - political cleansing
is indeed alive and well in America, and another example of it is
David Brock's book on Anita Hill.

David Brock has written the ultimate investigation into Anita
Hill's allegations against Clarence Thomas. Portions of it have
appeared in the American Spectator, and Brock was originally
scheduled to appear on all the usual talk shows that are part of
the book-selling circuit. These TV shows, though, basically
cancelled Brock's appearances by saying that they would need a
member from the "opposing camp" to appear with him.

This is totally bogus, and Rush cannot remember one previous
example of when an author needed someone who disagreed with him
to appear on the talk show circuit with him. This is a classic
example of how liberals, who claim to be the most tolerant,
really are the most intolerant of all.

Jeannette adds that an administrator of a large Christian school
in Illinois has challenged the Chicago public schools; the
administrator has said he'll educate 200 students from the
Chicago schools for free for one year. If these 200 kids' test
scores are higher than those of the public school students, he'll
accept those students again for a reduced fee of $2500 a year.
The Chicago public schools, though, have ignored his offer.

Rush is not surprised since the public school system is a gravy
train for many, given that it gets a lot of federal dollars.
However, competition is exactly what the public school system
needs, but the monolithic teachers' unions will oppose it; these
teachers' groups even oppose national standards or tests because
these sorts of things can point out how poorly some teachers are
doing.

Rush says that Sowell's book is a shocking one in that it gives
an incredible number of examples of how public schools waste
money and children's time. Sowell has been a bit discouraged
lately, though, with his teaching career because of the many
things he is forced to do as a teacher. This is why he prefers to
now spend his time speaking and writing.

Sowell also told Rush that he considers himself lucky to have
been born in 1930, since this allowed him to grow up and mature
before the monolithic civil rights coalitions took over the black
community and put impediments in the way of blacks seeking to
better themselves. Sowell has promised to have dinner with Rush
when he visits New York in June, and Rush is looking forward to
it because Sowell's intelligence makes learning from him
incredibly easy.

*BREAK*

Phone	Mona from Lewisville, TX

Mona and here family were watching Rush's TV show recently when
they saw the bit about the school that wants to "help" pay off
the deficit by getting a quarter from every school kid in the
country. Mona's two daughters, 14 and 16, though, said that if
someone came up to them and asked for this money, they'd write up
IOUs stating they'd fork over the dough when President Clinton is
willing to cut the deficit by the same amount.

Rush says that this is smart thinking, and is glad to learn that
Mona's daughters are fans of his show. Mona says that they both
are good students and creative, and asks Rush to say "hi" to both
of them. Rush says "hi" to Jenny and Erica, and praises them for
having great brains, great parents, and a great family. "Keep it
up," he urges.

Rush learns that the President's press conference has just ended,
and he tells those listeners who were preempted that "you missed
a great hour." <<Ahem, that's what this summary is for>> He
promises to repeat just a few of the great bits he did, but Bo
Snerdley doesn't think that Rush should "reward" these listeners
for missing his show. Rush tells Bo to lighten up, since these
poor listeners weren't missing the show by choice; they were
"being held hostage by the President."

*BREAK*

Phone	Gale from Vinton, CA

Gale says that her husband's aunt has lived with the Eskimos for
20 years, and thus has learned a lot about Native Americans,
their lifestyles and folklore. Gale's father-in-law just died,
and his estate included large shells which West Coast Indians
used for money. The aunt told Gale that these large shells,
called dentalia <<singular: dentalium>>, were now extinct because
the Indians over-harvested them. The small ones are still
available, but the large ones are long gone.

Rush thinks it's not possible that the Indians would have
despoiled nature since they are "one with nature." After all, HBO
thinks that everything they did was perfect. Gale is not
convinced of this and notes that this extinction of the shell
species happened long before the white man "corrupted" the
Indians.

Gale also wonders what happens when a bald eagle eats a Spotted
Owl, and Rush tells her that this is only "nature working its
magic and we're not allowed to question it." Rush thanks Gale for
giving a great example of why it's folly to believe that the
white man discovered a pristine paradise when he arrived at the
Americas. Humans are humans, and have destroyed the environment
long before white Europeans showed up.

*BREAK*

THIRD HOUR

The number of first-time claims for unemployment benefits
increased 26,000 last week, and this is being seen as a sign of
slack economic and job growth. Rush says that this news could be
interpreted in a number of ways. When unemployment was dropping
last year after the election, both President-elect Clinton and
Vice President-elect Algore were claiming that the reason for the
unemployment drop and for economic growth was that their election
had given the American people "hope."

Well, if this is true, then doesn't it stand to reason that the
increasing unemployment and slow economic growth might be due to
a lack of confidence in the Clinton administration? Rush recalls
that back in the post-election days, Americans still thought they
were going to get a middle class tax cut. Today, though, the news
each day contains yet another new tax that the Clintons are
thinking about implementing.

Thus, it stands to reason that the ineptness of the Clinton
administration, not to mention their taxaholic fever, has
dampened any hope that might have existed in American businessmen
and women. If there is an economic slowdown, it's because of what
those in Washington say they want to do and what they are trying
to do. Perhaps they won't succeed in their efforts, but their
attempts can certainly make people pessimistic.

Rush recalls that Labor Secretary Robert B. Reich said last fall
that the jobs that were being created were only part-time,
temporary jobs. This, of course, was to be expected at the end of
a recession because businesses are not willing to hire new
workers until they are convinced that an expected economic growth
cycle will not peter out. Now, though, businesses are beginning
to think that the growth cycle is indeed petering out.

There was a recovery going last fall, but the Clinton
administration seems to have doomed that with their talk and
actions about the economy.

Update Feminist (The Forester Sisters, "Men" with "in your face"
slogan)

Rush first notes that a recent issue of Newsweek actually used
the term "feminazi" in one of its stories, and he bets it's only
a matter of time before it gets into the dictionaries. Continuing
on with the update, Rush says that a feminist magazine is
sponsoring the "Bring Your Daughter to Work for a Day" movement.
Jim Dreier of NY Newsday has added in his column today that this
program is being run in tandem with the "Leave Your Worthless Son
in School That Very Same Day Day" program.

The feminist program is based on the idea that environmental
biases are keeping women out of business, so to fight those
biases, parents are encouraged to bring their daughters with them
to work so that they can see how businesses work. Rush, though,
thinks that this misguided effort is a waste of time because as
Dreier points out not too many boys go to work with dad to find
out what is going on. Thus, the feminists are implying that men
can more naturally assimilate the business environment, while
women have to be given special attention in order to achieve
this.

"It's cockeyed," Rush states, pointing out that this is another
example of how the feminist leadership has nothing to do with the
mainstream American women who may think they are feminists. The
feminist leadership is trying to alter basic human nature, and
although people can be screwed up, it's not possible to change
what human beings are.

*BREAK*

Phone	Russell from Nashville, TN

Russell saw in today's edition of the Nashville Banner that Rush
has sold out his speech at this weekend's NRA convention twice
over. Rush hasn't heard this, so Russell says that 3,000 tickets
at $125 each were sold for the ballroom in which Rush will be
appearing. However, there was such demand for tickets that the
NRA hired two remote ballrooms, each holding 2,000 people, at
which they'll show Rush's speech via closed-circuit TV; thus, a
total of 4,000 more tickets were sold at $40 each. NRA President
Wayne LaPierre told the newspaper that the NRA could have sold
20,000 tickets if they had enough space.

Rush is impressed by these figures and admits he didn't know the
original ballroom tickets were going for $125 each. Russell
confesses he won't be seeing Rush speak because he's got season
tickets for one of Nashville's two minor league teams. Russell
adds that his 12-year-old daughter loves Rush's TV show, and
suggested that Rush use Fleetwood Mac's song "Little Lies" as an
update theme for whenever Clinton breaks one of his promises.

Rush says that many people have suggested this, but the problem
is that EIB would end up doing nothing but playing this song.
Rush thanks Russell and his daughter, though, for the thought.

Phone	Bob from Brooklyn, NY

Rush catches Bob in the midst of eating, and Bob explains he was
eating a "celebratory grape" because they are okay to eat now.
<<Cesar Chavez died earlier today>> Bob says that Rush probably
didn't want to waste any tape by recording Clinton's press
conference so Bob has called to relay some highlights of what
Clinton said. Rush says EIB can afford to tape the President's
speeches, since EIB, after all, could record over it later. That
would be the environmentally safe thing to do, Bob adds, since
EIB would not have to "chop down another mylar tree."

Bob agrees with Rush a lot and loves listening to him, although
his lover thinks Rush tends to "puff himself up a bit." Bob also
admits that he is impressed by EIB's dedication to its listeners,
given that EIB pays for keeping so many 800 lines open for three
hours a day. Returning to the subject of Clinton, Bob says that
Clinton lambasted the Republicans for supporting reforms last
year but not this one. Rush holds Bob over the break so that he
can continue with this point.

*BREAK*

Phone	Bob from Brooklyn, NY (continued)

Rush says he has heard about some of the things which Clinton
said in his press conference, and some people think that Clinton
appeared depressed and defensive. Bob says he started out strong,
with his "Huck Finn" conman's smile, but it went downhill from
there. Rush says that he thinks both the press and many Democrats
are disappointed with Clinton's performance up to now.

As to the Republicans' support for economic reform, Rush notes
that the Democrats bottled up every growth bill they could in
1992 so that they could keep the recession going and get Clinton
elected. Bob says that Clinton did mention that the country was
in its second year of economic recovery, as well as that
America's 7% unemployment rate was a symptom of what was a
"worldwide problem."

Rush wonders how Clinton can think the economy has been in
recovery for two years, when only last fall he was saying that it
was the worst economy in 50 years. "We all know they lied," Bob
says; Clinton also said "things take time" and he pointed to how
it took him 10 years to change things in Arkansas. "Does that
sound like an effective leader to you?" Bob asks. Rush loves that
and notes that Arkansas did improve in some respects, but the
improvement was along the lines of going from number 50 in the
country to number 49.

Bob adds that a friend has a dog who just gave birth; only one
puppy survived, which made Bob think that if there's ever only
one nipple left on the national sow, Senator Kennedy is going to
get it, and "it's going to be pouring Scotch." Rush thanks Bob
for calling with so many great insights.

Rush adds that he can see the day coming when he will have to be
offering helpful hints and suggestions to the President. "Suppose
we get into a real emergency?" Rush asks, adding he doesn't want
to go down with the ship because his solutions were rejected at
the polls. This doesn't mean Rush will be joining the Clinton
administration as an advisor, but he has been referring to
himself today as the "Doctor of Democracy"; "it may be," he
supposes, "that house calls are going to be required."

Phone	Mark from Akron, OH

Mark gives "dittos from the former rubber capital," but explains
that this is in reference to how Akron gave birth to all the
rubber companies: Goodrich, Goodyear, Firestone, etc. Rush issues
a sigh of relief at this explanation. Mark says he is an
Anheuser-Busch distributor who is still feeling the effects of
the 1991 tax increases which doubled the federal beer tax. That
increase not only had a negative impact on sales, but also on
jobs. Mark is not optimistic about the future and thinks that his
industry has a tough road ahead of it.

Mark is also tired of being classified as a drug dealer or menace
to society. Three generations of his family have been in this
business, yet he's being punished by higher government taxes
because of what business he's in. It doesn't help him to know
that his personal taxes are also going up, which means that he's
being penalized for being successful.

Mark applauds Rush for telling the truth about this, and for
encouraging him to deal with both his state and federal
legislators. He also says hello to some friends in Kansas City,
and when Rush learns that these friends live near Van Brunt
Avenue he remarks "I've broken down there many times." He adds
that it was in Kansas City where he bought an expensive
"disgronificator" for his car.

*BREAK*

Phone	John from Baldwin, WI

John mentions that President Clinton in his speech praised
himself and his performance so far, and he even took credit for
the "lowest interest rates in 20 years." Rush is not surprised
that Clinton would try to take credit for this, although he's
done nothing to achieve this feat.

John adds that Ross Perot <<"When Johnny Comes Marching Home"
starts playing>> was on the Today show this morning, and he
actually said that Bill Clinton's plan was "wrong for the
country." Rush sarcastically remarks "how bold of Mr. Perot," but
John was impressed since Perot has always danced around this
topic before. Bryant Gumble, though, was insisting that Clinton's
plan could work if the President was only given a chance.

Rush says Gumble is a neophyte who still thinks the 80s were the
worst period of American history. John agrees and says that Perot
actually challenged Gumble on this and used Clinton's own numbers
to prove his point. John was so impressed by what Perot was
saying he even admitted, "gee he's starting to make some sense."

Rush comments that Perot started off slowly with his criticism of
Clinton, which gave him the appearance of being open-minded and
hopeful. Now, though, Perot can come forward and say that things
just aren't working out, which puts him in a good position to
continue his political aspirations. Rush, of course, has been
saying that Clinton's plan wouldn't work from day one, but then
Rush is seeking not votes but only the truth.

Phone	Jerry from Manhattan, NY

Jerry read today's column by Evans and Novak and found an
interesting sentence: "The President, Mrs. Hillary Clinton, in a
closed-door Senators-only briefing, stated that she is looking at
the VAT and it's under consideration all the way up to 22%."
Jerry thinks that he'd be better off in Russia than paying a VAT
of 22%.

Rush notes that Bill Clinton has already denied he's considering
a VAT, but Hillary's bringing it up in closed-door meetings. The
health care task force, though, has been very secretive in
everything it's done, so people are getting more and more
suspicious about it. Rush doesn't think the VAT tax will ever
fly, though, because there's no health care crisis and the system
is not so broken that a 22% tax is necessary to fix it.

In fact America doesn't have any real crises going on, and to
find a real crisis one has to go to Bosnia. The Democrats,
though, have to manufacture one crisis after another in order to
get the public to support their plans. Rush adds he had an
interesting conversation about Hillary Clinton but he can't go
into it now. He tells his staff to remind him about this on
Monday, and warns them that if they fail in this, "heads are
going to roll!"

*BREAK*

Phone	Dave from Storrs, CT

Dave gives massive dittos, but wonders why Rush's gloatometer is
not kicking in since Rush is talking so much about his ratings.
Dave thinks Rush is going a little overboard about this, but Rush
disagrees. However, he's glad Dave asked about this because this
question is a "toughie." Rush knows that he's singing his own
praises by talking about the ratings successes he's having, but
he also wants to convey to his audience that he knows they are
the real reason for his success. He thus wants to thank these
people for what he has today.

Also, nobody gave Rush half a chance when he started out over
four years ago, and some "experts" are still claiming that Rush's
show is just a fad. Plus, the people in Rush's audience are as
much maligned as he is by the critics, so Rush wants to publicly
recognize what has happened in his career, and to thank the
people who are willing to admit they listen to him. "Plus, when
you're number one," Rush adds, "you have to say it if nobody else
will."

-- 
John Switzer             | "To Protect and Control" -- motto of the 
                         | Eerie Indiana police department.
Compuserve: 74076,1250   |
Internet: [email-masked] |