Subject: China req. net user to reg. at police station

From: [email-masked] (Gothic)
Date: 20 Feb 1996 06:10:29 GMT

China requires Internet users to register at police stations

Reports from Germany say that the Chinese government will require all
40,000 Chinese Internet users to register at their local police station.

In the last few months, China has launched a horrific crackdown on
pornography, the Internet, and even foreign economic news. Related back
messages are at:

      http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=517
      http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=576
      http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=746
      http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=994
      http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/fight-censorship/dl?num=1110

-Declan

// [email-masked] // I do not represent the EFF // [email-masked] //

CHINA PUTS MORE CLAMPS ON INTERNET
   China has ordered all those who use the Internet and other international
computer networks to register with the police within 30 days. The order, the
latest move to control the flow of information, came in a circular issued by
the Ministry of Public Security, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported.
   Xinhua did not give a date by which current users must register, but said
new users and those switching or terminating services must notify police
within 30 days.
   Those who do not will be punished according to regulations on computer
networks approved last month by the State Council, the Cabinet, Xinhua said.
   It was unclear how foreigners would be affected by the decree.