Subject: [Press Release] Freedom-Site suffers censorship from Pathway Communications

From: [email-masked] (Marc Lemire)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 96 11:00:33 GMT

Controversial "Freedom-Site" gets censored by Pathway Communications
                
              ->> An Information Release from Marc Lemire <<-

Internet: [email-masked]         Digital Freedom BBS node 1: (416) 462-3327
http://www.ftcnet.com/~freedom      Digital Freedom BBS node 2: (416) 465-4767
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

Canada's most controversial Internet World Wide Web Site, the "Freedom-Site"
was unceremoniously kicked off of a Toronto based Internet provider after
almost a year of uninterrupted service.
    
Marc Lemire, the Webmaster of the Freedom-Site, discovered that his Internet
account was closed down when he tried to log onto his provider on June 28,
1996.
    
Upon discovering that his account was not properly working he promptly
telephoned his provider, Pathway Communications to investigate.
    
After getting the "run around" for about 20 minutes he was finally connected
to the acting manager of Pathway Communications who informed Mr. Lemire of
his companies decision to ban his Internet Website and E-Mail accounts due
to the content of his website.

Pathway Communications never informed Mr. Lemire of their plan to ban his
access. 

   ->They never spoke with Mr. Lemire regarding the content of his website
     and/or messages.

   ->They never gave Mr. Lemire the chance to remove the "offending"
     material.

   ->Even though they had Mr. Lemire's private home phone number, they
     didn't even bother to pick up the phone and tell him they have cut him
     off.

   ->They have yet to return Mr. Lemire's website data files which they
     promised to do in a telephone conversation on June 28, 1996.

   ->As of July 12, 1996 they have not refunded his account fees which are
     billed on a monthly basis through his credit card.

During the conversation between Mr. Lemire and the employee of Pathway
Communications, Mr. Lemire expressed his anger at them shutting down his
Internet account due to the content of it. He also requested both his
website data files and E-Mail that was being held on their servers be
returned to him.

The employee of Pathway Communications promised to upload the website
material to Mr. Lemire's BBS (24 hour dial in computer service), which to
this day has not been done. 

The waiting E-Mail was deleted and anyone who writes to his old account will
get a message stating that this user no longer exists on their system.

Of everything discussed during the phone call, the most perverse and odd
thing this employee from Pathway Communications said was that they "support
his right to Freedom Of Speech".  Imagine that!

Also during the same phone call, the representative from Pathway
Communications claimed that some of the material on the Freedom-Site was
against Canada's Hate Law. When Mr. Lemire called him on to point to one
document on the site that was hateful, the employee was speechless.

In a letter dated June 27, 1996 (attached) the president of Pathway
Communications, Mr. Ashok Kalle, said as follows;

    "This letter is to inform you that your account with Pathway
     Communications has been terminated pursuant to section 2 of the General
     Conditions of Use".

Section 2 of the General Conditions of Use as noted above is partially
reprinted below.

    "The user's access to the Internet may be revoked, and his/her account
     cancelled at any time, without notice or assigning any reason if, in
     the opinion company or its officers, the user has been in violation of
     these terms.  In such event, no payments or refunds whatsoever, will be
     due or payable by the company to the user including any fees for
     forthcoming months which have been paid in advance by the user, but not
     exhausted."

After receiving this letter from Pathway Communications, Mr. Lemire has
undertaken an information campaign and approached several civil
rights/freedom of speech groups seeking advice and assistance.

                        -->>Contact Information<<--

You can contact Pathway Communications for their side of the story or to
protest thier dismal outlook on freedom of speech at (416) 214-6235 or fax
at (416) 214-6238. Their office address is 1 Yonge Street, Suite 2205,
Toronto, Ontario M5E 1E5, Canada. On the Internet they can be reached at
http://www.pathcom.com or via Internet E-Mail at [email-masked]

Marc Lemire can be reached via the Internet write to [email-masked].

                     -->>What the Freedom-Site is:<<--

The Freedom-Site is a collection of 7 controversial Canadian groups. 

These seven groups include the Heritage Front, Canadian Patriots Network,
Digital Freedom BBS, Canadian Free Speech League, Canadian Association for
Free Expression, Citizens for Foreign Aid Reform and the Euro-Christian
Defence League.

The Freedom-Site was started in late January 1996 and has received over
11,000 visitors.

         THE FREEDOM-SITE IN EXILE!: http://www.ftcnet.com/~freedom
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            Digital Freedom BBS: (416) 462-3327, (416) 465-4767
        NOW GET A FREEDOM CD-ROM FOR ONLY $30 - WRITE: [email-masked]
    Snail-Mail: 152 Carlton Street, Suite 545, Toronto, Ontario, M5A 2K0