Subject: Re: the 'N' word

From: [email-masked] (Quirk)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 22:46:05 GMT

<<  posted & mailed  >>

On 29 Feb 1996 20:59:06 -0700, [email-masked] wrote:

+  a derogatory word that never should have come in to existance at all!

Hmmm .. derogatory words....

Like bitch or fag, like hebe or kike? Like sambo or wetback, wop,
paddy, or nip? Maybe like redskin? or how about chink or gook or honky
or gringo? What about slut or whore or bastard or asshole? Why stop at
nigger?

There is one word more offensive than any of these: censor.

Words only reflect problems, not cause them, if you control words you
end the debate. How then shall we solve the problems?

Notice that derogatory terms are used often by writers and advocates
to illustrate the problems by using the emotional punch these words
have?

To say that any words should never have existed at all is  incredably
simple minded.

Words capture the emotions that created them, say the words, feel the
emotional power these words have as you repeat them in you head. 

You can be stronger than the words, don't hide from them. Hiding them
just adds to their mistique, it just adds to the stigma that these are
words to hide, therefore the people these words offend have something
to hide, embrace and thus disenpower these terms, and remember and
examine the human emotions that brought them about.

	"Stick and stones will break my bones
         but words will never hurt me!"

         -- You, in the wisdom of your childhood.

.....

Dmytri Kleiner -- Quirk

P.S.  Oh, Nevermind.                  
                            [email-masked]
                            http://www.lglobal.com/~dmytrik
    "Gravity lets           (c) 1996 Idiosyntactix (tm) Toronto
      you down"