Subject: Re: CBC Tax? No.

From: [email-masked] (William J. Olsson)
Date: 18 Feb 1996 18:19:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, PKolding <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[email-masked] (Nicholas Sidor) wrote:

>I think a lot of the opposition stems from the fact that many
>Canadians do not identify with the CBC presentation of what
>constitutes the "Canadian identity". 

You are probably right there since most popular programs originate from 
the US and since the "identity" projected by CBC conflicts with that 
projected by the US programs, there will be a lack of identification by 
Canadians who watch US programming...sounds like a good argument to 
support the CBC to me.

>Furthermore, there are not a few
>who reject completely---politically, culturally and
>philosophically---the stereotype the CBC wishes to foster.

As with all democratic societies we have our share of the fringe.

>For many
>people it is a deeper issue than merely the neo-libertarian
>"government out!" argument. The CBC insults them directly as being an
>organisation whose fundamental raison d'etre is on a par with the old
>Soviet Unions' Pravda: the promulgation of an ideological "line" to
>which the government, regardless of party or platform, both informs
>and adheres to. 

You obviously do not understand what Pravda was or else you would not 
have made such an idiotic comment.

>In short, the CBC is viewed by many as an oppressor of the "Canadian
>identity" it purports to foster.

And by many it is viewed as the best Canadian alternative to the vast US 
programing that crosses our border every day.

-- 

.........................................................................

Bill Olsson				 	(403) 531-1385 (office)