Subject: Re: Campus Race-and-Sex Industry:Cui Bono?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1993 14:39:11 GMT

Well and good, a poster says it is less expensive to prevent racial and other
forms of discrimination at universities than to pay compensation afterward. I
agree--if it exists. And so: do Canadian universities discriminate in their
admission policies? UWO must discriminate positively: we have, I understand,
about three times the the proportion of non-whites as found in the general
population. Do we grade differentially?  Show me. Do we refuse to appoint
people of colour as chairs and deans? Come to UWO and see for yourself. We
continued to be accused and when we ask for proof of NEGATIVE discrimination,
what we hear repeated endlessly by our brilliant critics is: "racism is often
denied and nebulous." (Quoted in the London Free Press, Aug 20, 1992.) Enough
is enough. The only thing nebulous is the accusation. I suspect that most of
the intellectually deficient arguments of the politically correct accusers
reflect the poor education received in secondary schools as well as excessive
dependence on television. --

---

From: [email-masked] (Rosemary Waigh)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1993 19:29:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>And so: do Canadian universities discriminate in their
>population.

Note that this is not a valid comparison, since the percentage of non-whites
in the 'general population' may be lower than the percentage of non-whites who
are of the usual age to go to university.
-- 
Rosemary Waigh             Undergraduate, Computer Science / Linguistics
[email-masked]   University of Toronto
"Five percent of the people in the world consume one-third of its resources...
and produce almost half the non-organic waste...those people are us." Adbusters