Subject: Bye Bye Brian :-(

From: [email-masked] (JOHN LAROCQUE)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 17:46:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Gordon Harding) writes:
>Just in: Brian has quit.

Just when I thought he would whip Jean Chretien's ass. Too bad. Chretien's
still going to lose, anyway. I kind of like Brian Mulroney. People would
boo and his him and he would still smile. He would proudly tell you that
he enacted legislation that was extemely unpopular and not only that,
would run on that platform: GST, Free Trade, whatever.

Chretien can't decide what to do with the GST. The NDP wants to replace it
with a 100% tax on wealthy people and Reform has completely flip flopped. 
Free Trade: the first modern political party to embrace the economic future
of North America was Mulroney's PC's. Chretien can't decide what to do with
it, the NDP wants to cancel it, and Reform wants to clone PC policy. Two
more points for Brian. Deficit reduction: so what if he didn't go far 
enough. Do you think you could have done better with the Liberals and
the NDP? Two more points for Brian. And besides, we have a program surplus.
it's interest on the debt that is killing us and spendcrazy provinces
like Ontario's Bob Rae. Two more points for Brian. Deregulation and
privatization: two more points for Brian.

Trudeau couldn't get back to back majorities. He had to rely on the NDP
to prevent Stanfield from taking power, and lied to the Canadian people
on wage and price controls to win a majority. Wisely thrown out of power
in 1978, treacherous Liberals threw Clark out of power and put PET 
back in Ottawa. The future would have been much different had Clark
negotiated a constitutional agreement instead of Trudeau. Less debt.
More responsible government. Canada still grapples with Trudeau's
legacy, nine years after Brian Mulroney. 

Just a few ramblings on Trudeau, Mulroney, Stanfield and Clark. I think
I will miss Mulroney. That smile on his face as protesters burn him
in effigy. I loved that. I will miss him more than I will miss Clark.

Bye Bye Brian.

John - who still has his autograph from the 1988 election.

>-- 
>[email-masked]                               | Theatre is Life
>130 Colonnade Rd. South, Nepean, ON, CAN K2E 7M4 | Film is Art
>Phone:  (613)723-6500 Fax:  (613)226-1717        | Television is Furniture

-- 

  John LaRocque         **   "If you're the new messiah.. I'm going to be
  [email-masked]   **   the one to drive in the nails"  MARSHALL LAW