Subject: Re: HIV is 'Harmless' and does NOT 'cause' AIDS

From: [email-masked] (Peterson Penny)
Date: 4 May 96 17:41:50 GMT

For those who asked for a cite to my previous post that one does not need to
be HIV+ to be statistically considered an AIDS case:

Recieved the CDC AIDS case definitions from the Colorado Dept of Health (4300 
Chery Creek Drive South Denver CO 80222 Tel# 692.2745)

As one can see from the 'Chinese Menu' of definitions, one neither needs a HIV+
diagnosis or in fact can be  definitively HIV- and still be defined as a AIDS
case. (Any disease from I.B is considered AIDS absent HIV status. P. carinii
pnuemonia is considered AIDS even with negative HIV test results)

So if HIV is the "cause" of AIDSyndrome, how can one have AIDS without HIV???

====================================================================================
1993 Revision of Adult and Adolescent Case Definition for AIDS Surveillance 
Purposes   

	For national reporting, a case of AIDS is defined as an illness 
characterized by one or more of the following "indicator" conditions, depending
on the status of laboratory evidence of HIV infection, as shown below.

I. WITHOUT LABORATORY EVIDENCE REGARDING HIV INFECTION
	If laboratory tests for HIV were not perfomed or gave inconclusive results
and the patient had no other cause of immunodeficiency listed in Section I.A below,
then _any_ disease listed in Section I.B indicates AIDS if it was diagnosed by a
definitive method.

	A. Causes if Immunodeficiency that disqualify diseases as indicators of AIDS
	   in the absence of laboratory evidencs for HIV infection.
		1. high-dose or long-term systemic corticosteroid therapy or other
		   immunosuppressive/cytotoxic therapy <3 months before the onset 
		   of the indicator disease.
		2. any of the following diseases diagnosed <3 months after 	
		   diagnosis of the indicator disease, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
		   (other than primary brain lymphoma), lymphocytic leukemia, 
		   multiple myeloma, any other cancer of the lymphoreticular or
		   histocytic tissue, or angioimmunoblastic lymphadenopathy.
		3. a genetic (congenital) immunodeficiency syndrome or an acquired
		   immunodeficiency syndrome atypical of HIV infection, such as one
		   involving hypogammaglobulinemia.
	B. Indicator Diseases diagnosed definitively
		1. candidiasis of the esophagus, trachea, bronchi, or lungs
		2. cryptococcosis, extrapulmonary
		3. cryptosporidosis with diarrhea PERSISTING >1 month
		4. cytomegalovirus disease of an organ other than liver, spleen,
		   or lymph nodes in a patient >1 month of age
		5. herpes simplex virus infection causing a muccocutaneous ulcer that
		   persists longer than 1 month; or bronchitis, pneumonitis, or 
		   esophagitis for any duration affecting a patient >1 month of age
		6. Kaposi's sarcoma affecting a patient <60 years of age
		7. lymphoma of the brain (primary) affecting a patient <60 years of
		   age
		8. Mycobacterium avium complex or M. kansasii disease, disseminated
		   (at a site other than or in addition to lungs, skin, or cervical
		   or hiliar lymph nodes)
		9. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia
		10. progressive multifocal luekoencephalopathy
		11. toxoplasmosis of the brain affecting a patient >1 month of age

II. With Laboratory Evidence for HIV Infection
	Regardless of the presence of other causes of immunodeficiency (I.A.) in the
presence of laboratory evidence for HIV infection, any disease listed above (I.B) or
below (II.A of II.B) indicates a diagnosis of AIDS.

	A. Indicator conditions diagnosed definitively
		1. CD4 T-lymphocyte count <200 cells/ul, or CD4 T-lymphocyte percent
		   <14
		2. recurrent pnuemonia, more than 1 episode in a 1-year period
		3. cervical cancer, invsive
		4. coccidioidomycosis, disseminated (at a site other than or in 
		   addition to lungs or cervical or hiliar lymph nodes)
		5. HIV encephalopathy (also called "HIV dementia," "AIDS dementia"
		   or "subacute encephalitis due to HIV")
		6. histoplasmosis, disseminated (at a site other than or in addition
		   to lungs or cervical or hiliar lymph nodes)
		7. isosporiasis with diarrhea persisting >1 month
		8. Kaposis sarcoma at any age
		9. lymphoma of the brain (primary) at any age
		10. other non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of B-cell or unknown immunologic
		    phenotype and the following histologic types:
			a. small noncleaved lymphoma (either Burkitt or non-Burkitt
			   type)
			b. immunoblastic sarcoma (equivalent to any of the following,
			   although not necessarily all in combination: immunoblastic
			   lymphoma, diffuse histiocytic lymphoma, large cell lymphoma
			   diffuse undifferentiated lymphoma, or high-grade lymphoma)
			Note: Lymphomas are not included here if they are of T-cell
			immunologic phenotype or their histologic type is not describ-
			ed or is described as "lymphocytic," "lymphoblastic," "small
			cleaved," or "plasmacytoid lymphocytic"
		11. any mycobacterial disease caused by mycobacteria other than M.
		    tuberculosis, diseminated (at a sit other than or in addition 
		    to lungs, skin, or cervical or hiliar lymph nodes)
		12. disease caused by M. tuberculosis, pulmonary or extrapulmonary
		13. Salmonella (nontyphoid) septicemia, recurrent
		14. HIV wasting syndrome (emaciation, "slim disease")

	B. Indicator diseases diagnosed presumtively	
		Note: Given the seriousness of diseases indicative of AIDS, it is 
		generally important to diagnose them definitively, especially when
		therapy that would be used may have serious side effects or when 
		definitive diagnosis is needed for eligibility for antiviral 
		therapy. Nonetheless, in some situations, a patient's condition 
		will not permit the performance of definitive tests. In other
		situations, accepted clinical practice may be to diagnose 
		presumptively based on the presence of characteristic clinical 
		and laboratory abnormalities.
		1. recurrent pneumonia, more than 1 episode in a 1-year period
		2. candidiasis of the esophagus
		3. cytomegalovirus retinitis with loss of vision
		4. Kaposi's sarcoma
		5. M. tuberculosis, pulmonary
		6. mycobacterial disease (acid-fast bacilii with species not
		   identified by culture), diseminated (involving at least one site
		   other than or in addition to lungs, skin. or cervical or hiliar
		   lymph nodes)
		7. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia
		8. toxoplasmosis of the brain affecting a patient >1 month of age

III. With Laboratory Evidence AGAINST HIV Infection
	With laboratory test results _negative_ for HIV infection, a diagnosis of AIDS
for surveillance purposes is ruled out unless:
	
	A. all the other causes of immunodeficiency listed in Section I.A are 
	   excluded; AND
	B. the patient has had either:
		1. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia diagnosed by a definitive method;
		   OR
		2. a. any of the other diseases indicative of AIDS listed above in
		      in Section I.B diagnosed by a definitive method; AND
		   b. a T-helper/inducer (CD4) lymphocyte count <400/mm3.

======================================================================================

---

From: Charles Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 16:47:31 -0700

Peterson Penny wrote:
> snip 
snip
>
>
>rethink-hiv> New Duesberg book reviewed
>[email-masked]
>Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:55:50 -0800 (PST) 

Kirkus Reviews, January 15, 1996 
AUTHOR: Duesberg, Peter H. 
TITLE: INVENTING THE AIDS VIRUS 
PUBLISHER: Regnery (256 pp.) Phone: 202-546-5005 
$ 24.95 Release date? Mar. 22, 1996 

REVIEW: 

A well-credentialed scientist's hard-driving attack on the
accepted view that AIDS is an infectious disease caused by HIV. 
Duesberg (Molecular biology/Univ. of Calif., Berkeley), an
early researcher in the field of retroviruses, asserts that HIV,
like virtually all retroviruses, is harmless. He finds that HIV
meets none of the usual criteria (such as the six laws of
virology) used to establish that a microbe causes disease. But if
that is so, why do scientists persist in saying that AIDS is an
epidemic caused by HIV? As Duesberg tells it, the federal Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention needed a serious epidemic to
justify its continued existence, and by naming AIDS a single
contagious disease, it created an atmosphere of public fear that
brought it increased funding and power. The biomedical
establishment took note. Having failed to find a viral cause of
cancer, Duesberg says, virus hunters needed a new disease, and
AIDS was it. 
===============================================================
The HIV-AIDS connection was then announced by Robert
Gallo, head of a retrovirus lab at the National Cancer Institute,
at a 1984 press conference rather than demonstrated in a peer-
reviewed scientific paper. 
===============================================================
Further, Duesberg charges, the
pharmaceutical companies exploited the situation by bringing back
highly toxic failed cancer drugs, such as AZT, which, he says,
destroys the immune system and causes AIDS-like symptoms.
Duesberg cites other scientists who have questioned the HIV-AIDS
hypothesis, among them several Nobel laureates, including Kary
Mullis (for Chemistry), the author of this book's foreword. 
Duesberg's own theory is that AIDS is linked to the use of
immunity-suppressing illicit drugs (such as crack and "poppers"),
and he urges investigation along these lines. One need not accept
Duesberg's drug hypothesis, however, to be persuaded that the
serious charges he makes deserve serious answers. 
A controversial book, certain to be met with strong resistance
from the biomedical establishment. Four appendixes (not seen)
include articles on HIV by Duesberg in scientific journals. 

-------------------------

Regnery Publishing, Inc
422 First St. SE, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20003
Phone: 202-546-5005 

=========================================================================  also see
 Two interviews :: Spin Mag and  another mag
>>  http://www.livelinks.com/sumeria/aids/duesberg.html -      http://www.livelinks.com/sumeria/aids/deuspn.html -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*	
* Charles Miller     2 Cor 3:17        [email-masked]
* a classical liberal: one who abjures statism in all modalities 
*               and        one who believes in free will
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^